Type keyword(s) to search

Liar - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

23 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I thought Andrew's reaction of disgust with the headmaster's revelation of actual sexual harassment (although HM clearly thought his behavior was warranted) was odd given he had no problem roofie-ing Laura. I wonder if he has MPD or something of that ilk. Just weird. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out in the end.

I think he was more upset because the guy insisted he didn't do anything and then revealed that actually, yes, he did! Andrew was staking his hopes on this guy's story helping him get out from under his own investigation but then it ended up not being remotely helpful because Laura was telling the truth about the first incident.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I think he was more upset because the guy insisted he didn't do anything and then revealed that actually, yes, he did! Andrew was staking his hopes on this guy's story helping him get out from under his own investigation but then it ended up not being remotely helpful because Laura was telling the truth about the first incident.

It was also probably a bit of slight of hand to make the reveal at the end of the episode more shocking. Although I have to say one of the most fascinating aspects of this has actually been peoples reactions to Andrew. Especially those bending over backwards to convince themselves he's innocent. They've theorized its every other male character from the cabbie to Rory (the male detective ) and one person even suggested he had an evil twin. Its sad especially considering how many of these rabid defenders are women. 

I always figured Andrew did it but this episode made me certain the writers weren't going to pull a switcheroo. Funnily enough it wasn't the scene at the end that convinced me it was the scene with Tom.  The way Andrew stand over him and talks down to him, I realised he did it in every single scene with Laura and even with Katy and just about everyone else. Its clue (probably a deliberate one on the actors part) that he sees most people as beneath him and women especially. It was just seeing it in contrast to Warren Brown's more overt boxers stance that made me realize why I disliked Andrew and what he really was.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

It was also probably a bit of slight of hand to make the reveal at the end of the episode more shocking. Although I have to say one of the most fascinating aspects of this has actually been peoples reactions to Andrew. Especially those bending over backwards to convince themselves he's innocent. They've theorized its every other male character from the cabbie to Rory (the male detective ) and one person even suggested he had an evil twin. Its sad especially considering how many of these rabid defenders are women. 

I always figured Andrew did it but this episode made me certain the writers weren't going to pull a switcheroo. Funnily enough it wasn't the scene at the end that convinced me it was the scene with Tom.  The way Andrew stand over him and talks down to him, I realised he did it in every single scene with Laura and even with Katy and just about everyone else. Its clue (probably a deliberate one on the actors part) that he sees most people as beneath him and women especially. It was just seeing it in contrast to Warren Brown's more overt boxers stance that made me realize why I disliked Andrew and what he really was.

No one bent over backwards.  People suggested other suspects yes. See nothing wrong with that.  And there were no rabid defenders. In the 1st 2 episodes no one was sure.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, mochamajesty said:

No one bent over backwards.  People suggested other suspects yes. See nothing wrong with that.  And there were no rabid defenders. In the 1st 2 episodes no one was sure.

Not here maybe but on twitter and some of the UK blogs and papers that are following the show the theories have been quite wild. Sorry I assumed other people would be following those other discussions too.

Yeah that was interesting.

Spoiler

Killing Andrew off was a possibility I hadn't given much thought. It works though dying in a puddle is a bleak enough end for him. I do wonder who did it. Everyone is a suspect. Realistically I don't think it was Laura he was going to jail  she didn't have the motive of say Tom or Vanessa's partner. I do like the twitter theory that Andrew did it himself. I could see him going out to the marshes just to set up Laura as a last fuck you to her.

Something I noticed about Katy is even when she was begging Liam for another chance it was about the kids not him. I really don't think she loves him and probably hasn't for a while. Tom may have just been symptom of a larger problem in their marriage.

• Love 1

Based on just the first two episodes, my husband and I think this is one of the best TV dramas we've seen. It's tightly written and directed, and at this point  it's difficult to know the truth. 

On 10/3/2017 at 9:26 AM, Ailianna said:

The thing driving me crazy is that she first told her sister she didn't remember what happened, and then she goes around saying she "knows", it's "her word against his" and so on.  If she doesn't know what happened, then she doesn't know.  She may feel, she may think, she may believe, but she can't be so strongly sure of what happened since when she was first talking about it, she said she didn't remember.  And her later saying that she said no, and told him to stop--but she's projecting, since she doesn't remember.

I agree, and so far Andrew's reactions seem authentic and consistent with being wrongly accused, while Laura's behavior makes her seem (at best) unreliable, though her reactions could also be consistent with a rape victim. But I'm sure there will turn out to be more to both sides of the story.

On 10/3/2017 at 9:26 AM, Ailianna said:

Also, why is she in charge of his son in any way at this point?  She yelled at the son (who frankly I didn't recognize, but I figured it out), and sent him to the headmaster's office, but i was clearly not her normal reaction.

Agreed again. If the school knows that the boy's father was arrested for raping Laura, it is extremely inappropriate to have him continue as her student. I guess it would be disruptive to move him to another class, which might not be covering the same material, but is that worse than letting her take out her rage at his father (even if justified) on the son? 

• Love 1
On 10/14/2017 at 9:09 PM, Emily Thrace said:

Not here maybe but on twitter and some of the UK blogs and papers that are following the show the theories have been quite wild. Sorry I assumed other people would be following those other discussions too.

From my understanding the UK viewers are ahead of the U.S. so I doubt U.S. viewers are following all blogs if they do not want spoilers. 

On 10/14/2017 at 9:09 PM, Emily Thrace said:

Yes, I haven't followed too much discussion elsewhere for fear of being spoiled (since I'm watching in the US). I'd bet some people (here at any rate) were trying to anticipate twists? Like the poster above who said they'd be disappointed...TV rarely serves up something so straightforward. But six episodes isn't a lot of time. I'd forgotten British series were so darn short.

Edited by taragel

I'm puzzled why people are believing that Laura was drugged.  She drank a lot of wine, and that's certainly her right to do so, but she may have memory issues just from the wine, especially if she doesn't usually drink that much.  And most SAFE exams will take blood (at least in the US, and I can't imagine they wouldn't in the UK), and many drugs will still show in blood longer than the few hours she went between the drink of wine and her exam.

Laura clearly has a lot of loose nuts and the tree is shaking pretty hard right now.  She may not be lying, but I don't think she's correct about what happened either.

On 10/5/2017 at 1:44 AM, Jade Foxx said:

This is sinister. IS NO ONE WATCHING?

The US is two weeks behind the UK for the show, so that's why responses here are a little delayed.

Holy crap this episode just made my skin crawl. I mentioned Harvey Weinstein in the thread for the previous episode and I can't get that situation out of my head while I watch this show. I know he didn't drug women (or I haven't read any accounts that said he did) but the power trip that these types of people get doing this shit is just so unnerving, I cannot get myself in the headspace of someone who gets off on this. And that poor detective has no freaking clue (yet, anyway). I don't know if it would be better or worse to know. I'm trying to figure out how what Andrew did could have hurt her baby. Would GHB have serious adverse effects on a fetus?

I also felt really bad for Laura regarding cute airplane guy. Froggatt really sold the sadness and resignation of living in the "after" of a trauma and missing the "before." They did hit it off and if they had met a month earlier it might have turned into something really great. 

Andrew's wife's mom is shady as hell. This goes beyond just wanting to protect her son-in-law and grandson, I think. At first I understood why she wouldn't want Laura, a stranger, standing in her home and making such accusations, but when she visited Catherine it made me go hmmm.

• Love 5
On 10/5/2017 at 1:44 AM, Jade Foxx said:

This is sinister. IS NO ONE WATCHING?

I was really fascinated by the first couple of episodes, which really made you wonder "did he or didn't he" (with me and probably lots of others leaning toward his innocence, in large part because his behavior and reactions seemed so consistent with innocence). But this episode switched to over-the-top villainy, with Andrew being not "just" a date rapist--which is still rape and a terrible crime, of course, but unfortunately quite common--to being a cunning psychopath who breaks into people's houses and carries out an elaborate plot to rape the policewoman investigating the case., using an m.o. that is totally different from date rape. As intelligent as he is, it didn't make sense that he would react to her telling him that charges would not be filed by cheerfully asking her to have a drink with him, or that he would do these various criminal acts so soon after being cleared. I guess we are supposed to believe that he is so evil and arrogant that he just wants to destroy lives and has no fear of getting caught now. But realistically I would expect him (even as a psychopath) to lay low for a while, live his normal "nice guy, single father, admired doctor" life, and eventually go back to raping women--maybe after moving to a new area.     

• Love 3

I think Andrew is the kind of person that becomes intoxicated by the power he wields over these women. Catherine didn't even know she'd been raped until Laura showed up. Laura knew something was off but there still wasn't enough evidence to prosecute, and now Andrew wants to win again by completely discrediting her with the defamation lawsuit. When he asked Vanessa out, I think he was on such a natural high of getting away with it again that he felt untouchable, but he clearly gets his real jollies from pulling the heinous shit that he did in this episode. At first his attack on Laura seemed like "just" date rape, but in hindsight it was clearly a planned and manipulated event.

He wouldn't move because moving admits defeat. He has power over these women. Sticking around reminds them of what he took from them. He gets off on that part of it too.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Paloma said:

I was really fascinated by the first couple of episodes, which really made you wonder "did he or didn't he" (with me and probably lots of others leaning toward his innocence, in large part because his behavior and reactions seemed so consistent with innocence). But this episode switched to over-the-top villainy, with Andrew being not "just" a date rapist--which is still rape and a terrible crime, of course, but unfortunately quite common--to being a cunning psychopath who breaks into people's houses and carries out an elaborate plot to rape the policewoman investigating the case., using an m.o. that is totally different from date rape. As intelligent as he is, it didn't make sense that he would react to her telling him that charges would not be filed by cheerfully asking her to have a drink with him, or that he would do these various criminal acts so soon after being cleared. I guess we are supposed to believe that he is so evil and arrogant that he just wants to destroy lives and has no fear of getting caught now. But realistically I would expect him (even as a psychopath) to lay low for a while, live his normal "nice guy, single father, admired doctor" life, and eventually go back to raping women--maybe after moving to a new area.     

It not  a completely different MO though he still drugs Vanessa and follows the same basic pattern for the rape itself he just taking bigger risk. He's not changing his pattern he's escalating it. He's not a date rapist (which really there is not distinction between date rape and any other type of rape so I'm not sure why you are making the distinction)  Andrew is a serial rapist. Its more common then you'd think when Michigan cleared its backlog of rape kits they found several hundred of them. What he is doing is like an addiction and he needs a bigger risk to get that same high. (The Fall as a really good explanation of this) Plus getting away with Laura's rape would have made him bolder and feel even more invulnerable. In Andrews mind he is smarter than all of them so why wouldn't he keep getting away with it?

The only thing I didn't find surprising about this episode was that he'd done this before. I was just surprised it was so close to home. I expected something more along the lines of a colleague at the hospital.  I wouldn't be surprised if he has though. 

7 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

Thomas is another creep.

I'm still not sure if he is a creep or if Katie has really done a number on him. I suspect Katie has told him its over and then slept with him more than once. So I'm not sure if him not taking her at her word is just him being creepy. He did stop when she blew up at him so he's not full  Andrew in any case. Which was probably the point of the scene. A lot of people suspected Tom at first probably because he a burly, rough around the edges type and fits the stereotype better than Andrew does. Of course on this show no one is what they seem.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

It not  a completely different MO though he still drugs Vanessa and follows the same basic pattern for the rape itself he just taking bigger risk. He's not changing his pattern he's escalating it. He's not a date rapist (which really there is not distinction between date rape and any other type of rape so I'm not sure why you are making the distinction)  Andrew is a serial rapist. Its more common then you'd think when Michigan cleared its backlog of rape kits they found several hundred of them. What he is doing is like an addiction and he needs a bigger risk to get that same high. (The Fall as a really good explanation of this) Plus getting away with Laura's rape would have made him bolder and feel even more invulnerable. In Andrews mind he is smarter than all of them so why wouldn't he keep getting away with it?

I agree with all of this (and I did see The Fall and understand the comparison to addiction), but the distinction I was making between what most people call date rape and other rape crimes is that many males who would not be considered psychopaths by the psychiatric profession commit date rape because they don't fully get the concept of consent (often these are younger males in situations that involve alcohol and/or the female seems to be a willing participant for the making out or preliminary sexual activity), but they would not break into a home to drug and rape someone, or commit a kidnapping and violent sexual assault like the rapist in The Fall. (Also, I am not talking about males who commit serial date rape.) But this distinction is moot now that we know that Andrew drugged his victims and that it was not just a question of misunderstanding or mixed signals. 

6 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

I was just surprised it was so close to home. I expected something more along the lines of a colleague at the hospital.

It does seem surprising that he would do this with the sister of his colleague, knowing that the sisters are close and Laura might talk about it to her sister. But then again, he presumably did something similar with Catherine, who was his wife's business partner and friend. So he probably does like the risk factor.  

• Love 1

I thought this show was a lot more interesting when it was more ambiguous, and about perception and differences in experience.  I think it lost a lot of tension and complexity for me when it was just 100% Andrew wrong and Laura right, and then when she went on her crusade to drag Andrew through the dirt and invaded the home of a dead woman's mom and the business of the dead woman's friend--I don't like Laura very much, and I'm having a hard time sympathizing with her.  This is a contrast for me to watching season 3 of Broadchurch, where I sympathized with the victim in the case even when we saw that Trish had a lot of baggage and wasn't so perfect.  Some of that is the story, and some of that is the character of Laura I think.  She's so shrill that it makes it hard for me to listen to her.

Part of it for me, and this may be a writing issue that I have to get over--but Laura initially said she didn't remember.  So how does she now have all these details?  She hasn't said that things came back to her, or that she was able to remember because of something.  Her first statement is that she doesn't remember, which still makes me feel like she is extrapolating her experience, and that makes it difficult for me to trust her.  Plus she is constantly doing dumb things that are bad for her and for others--breaking into Andrew's house, dealing with Luke, confronting Andrew's dead wife's mom and friend.  However they may have worked out, those were all dumb and inappropriate things for her to do.  I thought the post was bad too, but I'm becoming inured to people being dumb on the internet.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Part of it for me, and this may be a writing issue that I have to get over--but Laura initially said she didn't remember.  So how does she now have all these details?  She hasn't said that things came back to her, or that she was able to remember because of something.  Her first statement is that she doesn't remember, which still makes me feel like she is extrapolating her experience, and that makes it difficult for me to trust her.  Plus she is constantly doing dumb things that are bad for her and for others--breaking into Andrew's house, dealing with Luke, confronting Andrew's dead wife's mom and friend.  However they may have worked out, those were all dumb and inappropriate things for her to do.  I thought the post was bad too, but I'm becoming inured to people being dumb on the internet.

The dumb things I can mostly understand as coming out of her belief that there needs to be justice and she wasn't getting it from the police, but I really had trouble with the inconsistency of her statements--initially telling her sister that she didn't remember saying "no" or "stop" but later insisting to the police (and everyone) that she did tell him to stop. I guess it's possible that she later remembered saying  this, but the way the first episode was written made it hard to justify her certainty about being a victim and made it easier to be sympathetic to Andrew--which I assume was the writers' intention. Of course, once we find out that he did drug her, it no longer matters whether she actually remembers telling him to stop.

On 10/5/2017 at 11:05 AM, Jade Foxx said:

WOW.giphy.gif

Ok, do you know who the guy is in this gif? I've seen it/him all over the internet lately but I can't quite place him. Sorry for the "OT" monitors. 

I just read that there will be a season 2 with both Joanne Froggett & Ioan Gruffudd. It will focus on who killed him. So many suspects. I can't wait, but right now IMDB doesn't have it starting until 2019. 

• Love 5
19 hours ago, HollyG said:

Ok, do you know who the guy is in this gif? I've seen it/him all over the internet lately but I can't quite place him. Sorry for the "OT" monitors. 

The GIF is from The Wire its Wee Bay. The Actors name is Hassan Johnson.

• Love 1

Random thoughts:

Does anyone else here think that it was Rory, not Andrew, who drugged and raped Vanessa?  There's just too much focus on Rory and his caring attitude--on the morning after he really wanted her to tell him what happened and and he could have been reveling in what he did just the way Andrew does.  And Andrews car tracker showed that the car was not near Vanessa's place on the night it happened.  And Rory knew about the juice concoctions she drank every day religiously.

Why didn't Vanessa have the doctor test her for sperm and DNA if she thought she had been raped?  Too easy, drama-wise?

I don't believe someone of Laura's size would have been able to move the dead weight of a large man like Andrew out of the car and from the car to the building.

Edited by Marianne

Yeah, moving the body took me right out of it.  I remember my mother talking about it being impossible to move my grandmother after a stroke, and they were the same size.  Andrew is almost twice the size of Laura.  Dead weight is really hard.

• Love 3

I'm glad the affair was revealed. Andrew is not the only who does things with no regard to how it affects others (yes I know rape is 100 time worse than an affair but I feel bad for the unsuspecting husband and kids).  I know Laura is a victim but somehow I'm just not behind her revenge methods.  Surely there is a better way. 

2 hours ago, Marianne said:

Random thoughts:

Does anyone else here think that it was Rory, not Andrew, who drugged and raped Vanessa?  There's just too much focus on Rory and his caring attitude--on the morning after he really wanted her to tell him what happened and and he could have been reveling in what he did just the way Andrew does.  And Andrews car tracker showed that the car was not near Vanessa's place on the night it happened.  And Rory knew about the juice concoctions she drank every day religiously.

But we saw Andrew drug and rape Vanessa, didn't we? I assumed his car wasn't near her house because he walked there. Even besides the tracker, his car is quite flashy and would have been something a neighbor might have noticed as looking out of place if questioned.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

But we saw Andrew drug and rape Vanessa, didn't we? I assumed his car wasn't near her house because he walked there. Even besides the tracker, his car is quite flashy and would have been something a neighbor might have noticed as looking out of place if questioned.

Maybe my attention wandered (I find the show kind of slow and repetitive and tend to do other things while I'm watching) but I don't remember seeing the man's face when he broke into Vanessa's apartment.    Well, there goes that possible pilot twist.  I must think Rory is kind of creepy, I guess.

4 hours ago, helenamonster said:

But we saw Andrew drug and rape Vanessa, didn't we?

Yes, we definitely saw Andrew do this. Rory just seems to be someone who cares about Vanessa as a partner and friend, and that combined with his detective instincts made him realize something was wrong and urge her to tell him. 

6 hours ago, Marianne said:

Why didn't Vanessa have the doctor test her for sperm and DNA if she thought she had been raped?

That bothered me, too, but part of it was probably shock or disbelief that this could happen to her. My husband thought it could also be denial or shame that as a detective who investigated the case she could be another one of Andrew's victims. When she was in the courthouse talking to the boy who was a victim (of rape? I wasn't sure if that triggered her realization that she had to do something), I was hoping she would call the doctor who examined her to do the necessary tests. Of course, Andrew would have been too careful to leave behind sperm or DNA.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Paloma said:
4 hours ago, helenamonster said:

But we saw Andrew drug and rape Vanessa, didn't we?

Yes, we definitely saw Andrew do this.

Need to correct myself. I'm pretty sure we did not see Andrew drug and rape her, but it was clearly suggested by seeing him come into her house after she was asleep, test that she was unresponsive, wear surgical gloves to avoid leaving fingerprints, start to undress her and then (presumably after the rape) put her clothes and glasses back on so she wouldn't realize anything had happened. Regarding how he drugged her, I assume he saw her lineup of juices in the fridge (when he was there earlier to check out the place? I can't remember if he was there twice but think he must have been so he could duplicate her key) and since they were labeled by day it was easy to know which one to put the drug in.

• Love 1
On 26/10/2017 at 1:50 PM, meep.meep said:

Yeah, moving the body took me right out of it.  I remember my mother talking about it being impossible to move my grandmother after a stroke, and they were the same size.  Andrew is almost twice the size of Laura.  Dead weight is really hard.

He would be heavy but not impossible, especially since she didn't give a fuck if Andrew got a few bumps and bruises in transit. All she would have had to do is drag him under his arms or by his feet. Of course the other explanation is that she called Tom to help her. I can imagine a very funny scene where Tom shows up starts to ask what the hell Laura is up to and then realizes it Andrew and he doesn't care helps her move him and leaves her to it.

I'm glad he's dead but the problem is that his victims don't know that (unless Vanessa's partner killed him and told her about it). So they may continue to live in fear that he will come back to hurt them. If season 2 focuses on who killed him, at least they will know that he is no longer a danger. Still, the damage to all their lives is permanent.

Just finished watching, what an ending, didn't see that coming.

I'm glad Laura was able to find the recordings and was able to get them to the police safely. I kept thinking Andrew was going to pop up out of nowhere and make a grab for them.

Andrew was a scuzzball and him now being dead opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. Lots of people had motives to kill him. I can't believe we'll have to wait till 2019 to find out more. 

Great acting, beautiful scenery and excellent cinematography in capturing the overall dark moodiness of this well-written series. 

• Love 6
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:14 PM, HollyG said:

I just read that there will be a season 2 with both Joanne Froggett & Ioan Gruffudd. It will focus on who killed him. So many suspects. I can't wait, but right now IMDB doesn't have it starting until 2019. 

HollyG-  where  did you read that? I'm for  a S2, but I really thought this was a six and done series.

Didn't expect that ending, I thought right away it mist be Vanessa's partner who did in that bastard.

So glad Laura got away with the evidence. When she stopped the car to look at the video file, I was thinking NO! Don't stop there, keep going. I thought Andrew was going to pop out of nowhere and drag her out of the car.

• Love 5

Well that was a surprise ending. I'm glad to hear there'll be a season two! Although I'm not sure how Gruffudd really stays a part of it. How much is there to really flashback to except the actual murder which couldn't have taken very long?

I felt really bad for his son actually.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

As angry as his son appeared in the last scene, he could be one of the suspects too. 

Yep, he definitely could be added to the the pool of suspects. Along with Vanessa, her girlfriend, Laura, Tom, Catherine, the father of the girl that had an abortion, Andrew’s MIL and any of the 15 other victims, that pool is getting pretty crowded. 

• Love 1

Wow, definitely was not expecting that ending. There's a long list of suspects which should keep things interesting for S2. I hope it's somebody we've already met, not one of the other victims that we don't know about.

I also thought the mid-episode twist with Charlotte was very effective. At first I was like, wait, would he really be so bold as to date another cop who works in the same precinct as Vanessa? And then it was, wouldn't Vanessa have warned her away from Andrew? So I was glad when it was all cleared up.

I wonder what happens to Luke (who is high on the suspect list, as far as I'm concerned). I suppose the UK equivalent of CPS finds placement for him?

13 hours ago, Valny said:

So glad Laura got away with the evidence. When she stopped the car to look at the video file, I was thinking NO! Don't stop there, keep going. I thought Andrew was going to pop out of nowhere and drag her out of the car.

Right? I think I've watched too many horror movies, I was on pins and needles for that whole scene.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Jadzia said:

God, I am so dumb. Until I read this thread, I thought he had killed himself!

Don't feel too bad.  According to the article linked above, a lot of people wondered if he killed himself too.

I feel like the son is my first suspect now.  He was so angry with his dad even before, and the way he said that his father wasn't there...I thought his dad was dead in the house as soon as the line passed Luke's lips.

• Love 1