Type keyword(s) to search

Liar - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Don't feel too bad.  According to the article linked above, a lot of people wondered if he killed himself too.

Thanks - I think I felt that way because it seemed like he had no way out and was essentially cornered after the tapes came out. I figured he would do himself in rather than being ruined.

On 11/1/2017 at 11:51 PM, Miss Chevious said:

I'm glad Laura was able to find the recordings and was able to get them to the police safely. I kept thinking Andrew was going to pop up out of nowhere and make a grab for them.

That whole time I was yelling at the TV "Upload it to the cloud before he can destroy it!" LOL

One thing I did not understand about the finale is why didn't Mia recognize Laura as Andrew's accuser. I thought that story had been all over the news and social media. Unless maybe she did and she actually wanted Andrew to be caught? There seemed to be a look between her and the old lady before she allowed Laura to go to the shed.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Jadzia said:

Thanks - I think I felt that way because it seemed like he had no way out and was essentially cornered after the tapes came out. I figured he would do himself in rather than being ruined.

I never considered that he killed himself because he was so arrogant. Even knowing the tapes would come out, I could see him thinking he could still get away with it with some legal argument like Laura got into the house on false pretenses (claiming that Andrew sent her to pick stuff up). And if he thought he would be convicted, he'd be more likely to leave the country and go somewhere where he could start over with a new identity (preferably a country that does not honor extradition). 

• Love 2

I don't think we can rule out Andrew killing himself. It could be his ultimate fuck you to Laura; by doing it in the marshes, where he knows she kayaks, he could have been trying to frame her. At least he'd have a chance at one more "win" over her, whereas rotting in jail forever wouldn't do that.

• Love 5

It looked like his throat was slit. Is that even possible, to commit suicide that way? 

I liked the series, but I thought the first couple episodes were more powerful than the last couple because of the he said/she said factor. Once we knew that Andrew did it, it went from 0-60, from a guy that perhaps was in the middle of a he said/she said to a super evil serial rapist. I also think the thing with the sister and her boyfriend was such a throwaway. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

It looked like his throat was slit. Is that even possible, to commit suicide that way? 

I liked the series, but I thought the first couple episodes were more powerful than the last couple because of the he said/she said factor. Once we knew that Andrew did it, it went from 0-60, from a guy that perhaps was in the middle of a he said/she said to a super evil serial rapist. I also think the thing with the sister and her boyfriend was such a throwaway. 

I agree.  The show was much more compelling when we were trying to decide what happened and had to try to work through the different layers of both the characters' perceptions and our own.  It was much more interesting when it was challenging out assumptions than when it just went all one-sided.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Seems unlikely to me. More likely that someone drugged him in order to slit his throat.

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:23 AM, tvaddict44 said:

If you're a Ioan fan and missed "Forever" check it out.  He's absolutely perfection in it and there's a nice love story also...

That is why my husband and started watching this.  Nice to see him play a bad guy.  I still miss Forever.

I don't see how the tapes can be admissible since she got the lady's information from the phone that she obviously stole.  A good lawyer could get it thrown out.  Of course, I'm in the states and I don't know how it would work in the UK.

• Love 1

A worse ending for a creature like him would be to live and face the humiliation of having been found out.   That even played out when he was being accused. 

It became hard to believe he was as smart as he was being portrayed when the storage shed was intruduced.   

It seemed like the police had evidence when the detective corrected Laura when she said 15.

I don't really care who killed him.

I liked this series, love both main actors and am looking forward to a second season to explore who killed him.  Many possibilities indeed.

Something that infuriates me is when people not only cheat and lie about it but when the partner gets suspicious they lie straight to their faces and make out as if there is something wrong with the partner - gaslighting in a sense.  My ex used to do this with me and I felt like I was going crazy.  I find it deeply offensive.  Tom and Katy both did this.  I can even understand getting into an affair, though very wrong, but that just ratchets it up for me and feels so cruel and insulting.

• Love 2

I'm late in watching/commenting, but ... I agree with those who said the first couple episodes were more compelling.  Andrew became an almost cartoonish villain after it was revealed to the audience that he definitely did rape Laura.  It seemed inconsistent with the way he acted in the first couple episodes. With Laura, he asked her out very tentatively, and backed off immediately when she wasn't sure. Then she was the one who followed up and made the date happen.  They went on a normal date and he acted seemingly normal even after they were back at her place.  Then a couple episodes later after the audience is in on the fact that he's a rapist, he very aggressively asks Vanessa out, then sneaks into her apartment to drug and rape her.  He went from being a very subtle date rapist to being a run-of-the-mill "bad guy" rapist who sneaks into the house of an almost-random victim.  Both are awful, but a different "MO."  It seemed in the first few episodes that it was going to be a more subtle, complex story about consent, abuse of power, etc. but then he was just your average Super Evil Bad Guy character practically twirling his (non existent) mustache while plotting his next attack. Oh well, I still watched the whole thing ... 

• Love 3
On 3/8/2020 at 3:34 PM, Valny said:

I totally forgot they were going to do a S2! Found out it comes to Sundance TV on April 8, here's the trailer.   It's been so long but I want to see where they take this

I am watching it right now,the website put it up early!  But if you watch on tv, it comes on at 11pm, which is a weird time slot.  
Is anyone going to watch? *crickets*

• Love 1

I watched the first episode of season two, and I can't remember who half the people are.  Might read some recaps, because I wasn't even sure if some of them had been in the previous season (I know one wasn't, but am not sure about some of the others). 

I kept looking at the paint colors in Earlham's house. There's a bright vivid blue with a bit of green in it that's gorgeous. 

• Love 1

I worried about not remembering everything, but there was what felt like a little recap at the beginning, and it all basically came back to me.  I'm enjoying again not knowing what really happened.

• Love 2
On 4/11/2020 at 5:41 PM, Darian said:

I watched the first episode of season two, and I can't remember who half the people are.  Might read some recaps, because I wasn't even sure if some of them had been in the previous season (I know one wasn't, but am not sure about some of the others). 

Same here. I was like, who, what? It was way too long ago and only six eps so my short term little memory was having trouble. I got my niece to watch the first season about a week ago so maybe she can fill me in on who's who with me reading a recap.  🙂

Right now,there are a ton of suspects they way they showed everyone, lots or red herrings for sure.

Did anyone watch the finale? There sure was a lot of twists and crazy turns and red herrings. But in the end, I am fine with who killed Andrew.  And I knew even before she said it that the lady detective would let

Spoiler

Laura

off.

• Love 3

I liked the finale and agree that it was very twisty. There were a few moments when I wasn't even sure Andrew was really dead!

I couldn't stand that female detective who worked with Rory. Sad back story or not, I just wanted to slap the smirk off her.

• Love 4
On 5/16/2020 at 10:51 PM, Broderbits said:

I couldn't stand that female detective who worked with Rory. Sad back story or not, I just wanted to slap the smirk off her.

I know! I loathed her too. Her and her nicotine gum!

We binge watched the whole thing over a week long period and really enjoyed it!  Would think it would be hard to remember the first season after so long.  British shows, for the most part are superior to American.

• Love 1
On 10/18/2020 at 7:56 PM, SuzieQ said:

We binge watched the whole thing over a week long period and really enjoyed it!  Would think it would be hard to remember the first season after so long.  British shows, for the most part are superior to American.

Did you prefer one season over another?  I love Brit series. Sundance Now streaming doesn't have a big library but I watched some really good stuff there. Some good Aussie series too.

• Love 1
On 10/20/2020 at 5:24 PM, Valny said:

Did you prefer one season over another?  I love Brit series. Sundance Now streaming doesn't have a big library but I watched some really good stuff there. Some good Aussie series too.

Since we watched them all in a row, it's hard to say which season is better, but totally agree about Brit series.  Broadchurch is the only one whose name I remember, but there have been a few American remakes of British and Aussie series that I watched.  They were ok, but after watching the American versions, I went back and watched the originals and they were always better.  The US versions are usually flashier and prettier, but the writing is so much better on the originals.  And this is coming from an American.

• Love 1

Debating whether to watch this show or not. A lot of reviews said season 2 was garbage. 

Can someone say without spoiling whether s 2 is garbage and how much lol? Like a full on dumpster fire or just burning some paper in a trashcan? 

6 hours ago, cleo said:

Debating whether to watch this show or not. A lot of reviews said season 2 was garbage. 

Can someone say without spoiling whether s 2 is garbage and how much lol? Like a full on dumpster fire or just burning some paper in a trashcan? 

I kind of think S1 and S2 were kind of on par in that I didn't think S1 was as great as many thought and I didn't think S2 was as "so much worse" as many thought.  In fact, I think some of the ultimate decisions made in S2 were actually more interesting than some of the choices in S1 but maybe the individual episodes in S1 were better than S2. 

• Love 1

Thanks for the heads up. I'm giving it a try, I just watched the first episode.

Tbh though, I'm not sure how far I'll make it. Subject matter isn't typically something I would watch- I get too easily affected. So I'll see how far I get.

Made it to episode 4. Read the spoilers for the rest. Just ridiculous writing and nothing in it to compel me to go along. 

Someone earlier mentioned the Fall- so much better than this.

Glad I at least checked it out though.