Type keyword(s) to search

Liar - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I'm inclined to think he's telling the truth, but that's probably because Ioan usually plays good guys. I would think there would be more talk around the hospital if he was into date rape. This could change since we've only seen one episode.

• Love 1

I think he did it. Its not anything any one has said its his own actions. I wasn't sure until I saw him cornering Laura in her classroom, all his body language is pushy and controlling. He keeps pushing forward even as Laura is backing away. He cleary doesn't respect her boundaries. Plus his kid is an Afluenza poster child and kids don't come by that on their own

So...I'm finding this interesting and clever about the way they balance/hand out informations, but... it kind of feels like there's only one way this could really end. I mean, are they really going to make a drama where a woman is lying about being raped? Although I suppose the rape claim could just be a red herring to a drama about Laura being mentally unbalanced, but....I don't know. 

• Love 1

I know what you mean @taragel.  It would be risky to reveal Laura as the liar but cliche to reveal Andrew as the liar.  It is also possible that they had consensual sex and then she was raped by someone else, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.  Or perhaps he's the one with the mental instability like multiple personalities, so he doesn't really know he did it?

• Love 1

This is my speculation based on watching the first episode.  Neither of them are lying.  The cab driver came back and raped Laura after taking Andrew home.  She'd had so much to drink at that point (she was drinking *before* the date) that she passed out.

1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

This is my speculation based on watching the first episode.  Neither of them are lying.  The cab driver came back and raped Laura after taking Andrew home.  She'd had so much to drink at that point (she was drinking *before* the date) that she passed out.

I'm going with his teenage son

• Love 2

Hmm, I don't even recall the cab driver. I feel like they would have put more emphasis on him if that was going to be the case. 

I can't see the son being the culprit either. 

I'm curious about the sister cheating with her ex-boyfriend. Especially if they knew each other since they were 13 or whatever they said in the pilot. I wonder if more of their backstory will come out.

I've seen the speculation about it being the cabbie elsewhere. I don't really have a horse in the race, but even though she had only met the driver the first time that night, it seems like she uses the service often. Both times she called for a cab, the conversation ended with, "Yep, that's me" which means they probably have her information, including her address, on file.

I think the arrival of the second cab (for Andrew) will come into play in one of the flashbacks.

The thing driving me crazy is that she first told her sister she didn't remember what happened, and then she goes around saying she "knows", it's "her word against his" and so on.  If she doesn't know what happened, then she doesn't know.  She may feel, she may think, she may believe, but she can't be so strongly sure of what happened since when she was first talking about it, she said she didn't remember.  And her later saying that she said no, and told him to stop--but she's projecting, since she doesn't remember.

I have a lot of sympathy for date rape victims, and I'm not trying to blame her.  But, if she can't remember, then why is she so stridently sure?

Also, why is she in charge of his son in any way at this point?  She yelled at the son (who frankly I didn't recognize, but I figured it out), and sent him to the headmaster's office, but i was clearly not her normal reaction.  And then she freaks out when a parent comes to ask about the way she treated his child and she freaks out again.  Which I understand her fear of him, under what she believes, but why not have another teacher involved, or something, to keep him away from her?  He's actually the only one behaving normally, I think.  Based on this, I'm not sure if I want to keep watching, as it isn't what I thought, but I may stick with it since it's short.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 3

Love both leads so I will continue watching.  

If Andrew is lying he is damn good at it.

The wine glasses raise suspicions but other than that he is playing the part to the hilt.  

I honestly don't know what to think at this point. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Jade Foxx said:

This is sinister. IS NO ONE WATCHING?

I'm watching, at least I am when I can find an episode available to watch. 

I've seen the first 2 episodes only, nothing else is available anywhere I look. My OnDemand only has the first 2 eps, same with the Sundance website. It's really annoying me because I'm loving everything I saw so far.

• Love 2

Laura just goes into Andrew's house looking for drugs. Not a good move. If she's found out, she could be charged with B&E, even if she did use a key. And wouldn't she have been checked for drugs when she went into the hospital to get checked out? Or would they have worn off by that time?

The mystery deepens.

BTW, Joanne Frogatt is doing a marvelous acting job. So different from the prim little maid I saw in Downton Abbey.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Miss Chevious said:

I'm watching too! Have seen both Episodes 1 & 2. Can't wait till next Wednesday when Episode 3 is on the Sundance channel.

Ah! So they skipped a week? Thank you for letting me know, I was counting the days down! I really love this show, I can't be sure who is telling the truth although I'm leaning towards Andrew being the truth-teller. I don't know if that's because I really like Ioan Gruffudd a lot or if it's because Joanne Froggatting's character seems kind of shady.  

Either way, I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season. It's going to be a long week lol

• Love 1
11 hours ago, mochamajesty said:

How so? 

The Brits are 2 episodes ahead of the US in this series so going into threads that haven't aired here yet is going to be spoilery.  I'm not sure how this thread should be treated.

3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The Brits are 2 episodes ahead of the US in this series so going into threads that haven't aired here yet is going to be spoilery.  I'm not sure how this thread should be treated.

Thanks for the heads up. 

I think that the drugs wore off so that was inconclusive. 

I remember a line about the drugs wearing off in 12 hours.

Joanne's character was also raped on Downton - she did a great job there too.

Both of them are making horrible choices. Andrew calls her and visits her at work, Laura breaks into his house.  Stupid behavior all around.

Is the sister married or are they cohabitating?  Is she just a skank who slept with her sister's boyfriend, or is she a skank who cheated on her husband with her sister's boyfriend? I need to know which level of hate to apply. 

Edited by mochamajesty
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, mochamajesty said:

Is the sister married or are they cohabitating?  Is she just a skank who slept with her sister's boyfriend, or is she a skank who cheated on her husband with her sister's boyfriend? I need to know which level of hate to apply. 

Lmao, I'm pretty sure that's her husband. To me, them being married or not is really just splitting hairs; they live together and have two children, and there's clearly already a little undercurrent of resentment there. I don't think he likes being a stay-at-home dad (or at least wishes he had something in his life that took him out of the house, which he doesn't appear to, since he's there with the kids in literally every scene), and she probably used the "working late" excuse to step out on him. I anticipate all that is going to come to the forefront when the whole thing, presumably, comes out.

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:28 PM, nara said:

I'm going with his teenage son

I said it to a couple of people that there is something about him I don't trust.  And did you see how the camera focused in a bit on his school bag when his father gave it to him as he was going off to school? What was that about?

Katie may only be a skank who snuck out on her live-in boyfriend to sleep with her sister's ex-boyfriend.  It's entirely possible that she didn't start up with Tom until after Tom and Laura had broken up.

But it's still very sleazy, and makes Katie's insistence early in episode 1 that Tom and Laura had been broken up "for weeks", it's only that he finished moving out his things on the day Katie set up Laura with Andrew (gee, Katie's making such a load of good decisions, isn't she?) look very self-serving, in retrospect.

Andrew really needs a lawyer to tell him what to do and what not to do.  It's one thing for Laura to sneak into his house, or for Katie to insist on working on his operating team; the worst that can happen there is that Laura is charged with B&E or that a patient dies.  Hardly good news, but probably no long-term consequences to the sisters, as I doubt Laura would be convicted, given her circumstances.

But Andrew is jeopardizing his freedom if he steps in it.  He needs to avoid all contact and not give the police anything to further their case. 

And I never watched Downton, so I know Gruffudd much better than I do Joanne Frogatt, but I agree; she's really knocking the ball out of the park.

• Love 3

They haven't skipped anything on Sundance TV;  Episode 1 premiered on September 27 and Episode 2 on October 4, and episode 3 will premiere on October 11.

Where are you getting your airing dates from?  Are you watching in Canada or elsewhere?

There are a few series that air there before they air here that have forums like Poldark, The Great British Bake off and Downton Abbey back in the day.  What usually happens is the episode thread gets an 'unaired in the USA' tag until it airs here. But there is discussion in the threads before it airs here .

That isn't done here.  Maybe because the episodes air pretty quickly here after they air there.

On 10/5/2017 at 8:57 PM, mochamajesty said:

I think that the drugs wore off so that was inconclusive. 

I remember a line about the drugs wearing off in 12 hours.

Both of them are making horrible choices. Andrew calls her and visits her at work, Laura breaks into his house.  Stupid behavior all around.

I wonder if he might be using something other than GHB. As a surgeon he would have access to all kinds of sedatives and paralytics why would he bother going to the hassle of acquiring a street drug? I wonder if the sister might actually come into play somehow there. If she notices something odd about Andrews prescriptions or med requests and that's how he gets caught.

I also hope to hell the cops took that "Insulin" in for analysis because there are serious holes in that story. For one insulin needs to be refrigerated or it useless so keeping it in a box under the bed is silly. Also insulin isn't like Tylenol and something everyone should have lying around so why does Andrew have it? Neither he and Luke are mentioned as diabetics. That one actually raises more questions than it answers.

Katy has a different last name (Sutcliffe) than Laura on IMDB so shes probably married. The thing I keep wondering about the sister having the affair is How long has it been going on? Laura said she knew Tom since she was 13 so he must have known Katy just as long. Has this been going on for years? Were they together before she met her husband? It would go along way to explaining why he seems so hung up on her.

• Love 5

Laura's resolve to bring Andrew to justice deepens and she enlists Tom's help in her plan. However, when a deception in Laura's personal life comes to light, she is left with no one to turn to, and she resorts to dangerous methods to force Andrew's confession. But she is not alone in her mission.

I saw the headline of an article (didn't read it because I was afraid it might be spoilery) about how this show is more poignant in light of the current Harvey Weinstein media circus, and I have to agree. The way the headmaster described how Laura clearly wanted to be felt up because of the way she hugged him, you don't just hug someone like that unless you're looking for something...so gross but unfortunately not uncommon.

So it was Andrew. It is weird for me to be relieved? I'm just glad they didn't go down the "woman makes up rape accusation and ruins a man's life for literally no reason" route especially, again, in light of current events. And not only that but now he's freaking gaslighting her. Do not stay in that house alone, girl!

I felt like we were heading towards that reveal as soon as he hit on the female detective. Even if he had been cleared of the charges, who asks out the person that was responsible for investigating them? Not to mention that by giving him the pamphlet, the detective clearly thought he did it, it just wasn't in her power to prove it. Read the room, ya creep.

• Love 7

I thought Andrew's reaction of disgust with the headmaster's revelation of actual sexual harassment (although HM clearly thought his behavior was warranted) was odd given he had no problem roofie-ing Laura. I wonder if he has MPD or something of that ilk. Just weird. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out in the end.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

Both Laura and Andrew had no problem lying to that girl's father. They're both liars. 

Which is why this show is so masterful.  We see everyone lying, for their own benefit, someone else’s, some lies more conscious, etc. 

Andrew psychopathy is scary. Charismatic, educated, white male surgeon, husband, father...... (who is also a sadistic sexual predator!)

Monsters, walking around like regular people. 

1 hour ago, Ms Lark said:

I thought Andrew's reaction of disgust with the headmaster's revelation of actual sexual harassment (although HM clearly thought his behavior was warranted) was odd given he had no problem roofie-ing Laura. I wonder if he has MPD or something of that ilk. Just weird. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out in the end.

He had to keep on his mask!!

• Love 4