Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Cool Beans

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

51 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

As for him being forced to sleep in the crew mess, them's the breaks. He's the lowest ranking crew member and there aren't enough bunks for the crew they've got. 

Since Cap'n Lee wanted to throw the deck crew for a loop by bringing JD in with no notice, he should have moved him into an empty guest room until Chris gets fired. That would have totally fried Niko's shorts. 

Though I agree that Chris is low man on the totem pole, making him sleep in that space is kind of crappy. Chris sucks at his job. Now he'll be tired and suck at his job.

But methinks he's going to be fired soon so he'll be back home, snug as a bug in a rug in his parent's basement in no time.

• Love 8

I agree. Although, If I were one of the crew members and were on anchor watch or not in my bed, I would offer it to him. He's a human, He's not evil, just stoopid.Everyone needs rest. Especially before they go back home to their job at Panera Bread.

Edited by Nancypants
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, Nancypants said:

I agree. Although, If I were one of the crew members and were on anchor watch or not in my bed, I would offer it to him. He's a human, He's not evil, just stoopid.Everyone needs rest. Especially before they go back home to their job at Panera Bread.

This depends on several things for me. How nice is he? How much of his work is he slagging off that I then have to pick up? How clean is he? How much do I really like him? Cleanliness is the priority. If he's dirty, he can be sweet as pie and my best friend and working his ass off and he's still not going to sleep in my bunk. If he's clean, then the rest has to be evaluated (and periodically re-evaluated). He could improve his own situation by simply getting a sleep mask and earplugs. Also, I suspect the table folds down to make that area into a larger bed. He should avail himself of that feature and sleep more comfortably. I've been there before (sleeping on a table that folds down into a bed). It's actually not that bad. A little courtesy by everyone else to keep the noise level down and you don't even really need earplugs.

My issue with Nico is that he acts like he was owed the Bosun position, but he seems to be forgetting that he started the season as lead deckhand. Captain Lee had the opportunity to make Nico the Bosun initially, but didn't. That's the last sour thought that Nico should spare towards being the Bosun this season.

• Love 1

Captain Lee (int the blog) says to Nico about EJ:

You don’t have to report to him; you need to work with him for the good of the yacht and the season. 

But doesn't he have to report to him, the new guy is Bosun and Nico is Lead Deckhand, Bosun is the senior most Deckhand the boss deckhand.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

My issue with Nico is that he acts like he was owed the Bosun position, but he seems to be forgetting that he started the season as lead deckhand. Captain Lee had the opportunity to make Nico the Bosun initially, but didn't. That's the last sour thought that Nico should spare towards being the Bosun this season.

Really, listen to the podcast....

1 hour ago, Diane Mars said:

Really, listen to the podcast....

I have but still don't understand your point.

This point from Lee's blog should be highlighted about how Bri dealt with their date 

You also didn’t come back to the boat and talk smack behind his back to cause him further embarrassment. 

I mean he was so shitfaced that it told the story but the fact that Bri didn't go around to the crew to tell them how badly he failed was so unlike most people on the show. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Nancypants said:

Bri showed class.

Honestly, she acted as I would have/did at her age. Wow. That's what Reality TV has come to. I'm not being snarky; just sad. Why do we venerate truly horrible people?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

Honestly, she acted as I would have/did at her age. Wow. That's what Reality TV has come to. I'm not being snarky; just sad. Why do we venerate truly horrible people?

I’m confused, who was truly horrible?  I don’t think anyone on this show is truly horrible.

On 10/4/2017 at 9:11 AM, dleighg said:

Can anyone explain why this ship apparently does not have a vegetable peeler? Who does this?

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 12.09.22 PM.png

My idiot husband. God love him, but it drives me crazy. He does this with potatoes too. He thinks he's Daniel Boone or something.

• Love 5
On October 3, 2017 at 10:19 PM, HunterHunted said:

Considering that they didn't drink, I think it's weird that the guests chartered a yacht.

It wasn't weird for me, it was heavenly!  I've been sober for 37 years, and loved every minute of the week that I spent with five friends on a 160' custom Trinity (one of my pal's son-in-law made a fortune in the stock market and let us use it for free).  My friends drank socially - nobody was drunk, ever.  There's tons to do, all day. And great meals with great conversation made each day memorable.

On October 4, 2017 at 11:36 AM, ghoulina said:

Sometimes there's not, though. Matt reminds me a lot of myself when I was younger. I could never just have one drink. I need to lose my inhibitions, or I was too shy, too dull, too quiet. That's why I don't drink at all. And I've learned to come out of my shell sober! I really think Matt at LEAST needs a looooong dry spell. 

'Right there with ya, G!  Even though it's been 37 years, I can still get a tinge-o-cringe when I remember some of my more memorable dates that I can barely remember!!!  I hope that Matt sees the light sooner rather than later.

Edited by OldButHappy
punctuation
  • Love 4
50 minutes ago, OldButHappy said:

It wasn't weird for me, it was heavenly!  I've been sober for 37 years, and loved every minute of the week that I spent with five friends on the 160' custom Trinity that one of my pals son-in-law let us use for free.  My friends drank socially - nobody was drunk, ever.  There's tons to do, all day. And great meals with great conversation made each day memorable.

In a normal season, I'd agree with you. In season 3, we saw guests swim with the sharks, go fishing, going lobster diving. The food was better in previous seasons. We've seen guests get spa services on the ship. We've seen Kate put together fun guest parties. This season has been boring. Lackluster food. Lackluster guests. Incompetent crew. The guests on this episode didn't do much of anything either. They got mediocre food and splashed around in the water for a while. It felt like a waste to me.

The thing I really loved about season 2 of BD: Med was that every week there was another enviable location that guests wanted to visit.

8 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I’m confused, who was truly horrible?  I don’t think anyone on this show is truly horrible.

You're right, I wasn't clear. I just mean that when someone acts like a decent, nice, human (Bri) it's almost surprising on a show like this. 

• Love 2

I think the problem with Matt is that he's just not cut out to be a chef on a luxury yacht. He could open a farm to table restaurant and it may do really well, but he doesn't have a wide enough span of skills to cover all the yachtie guests' palates. Adam had the same problem at times-apparently he simply didn't know how to cook without onions. Ben has been by far the best chef on the show. When he displays his food, it's extremely artistic and I really want to know what's on the dish. Sure, he probably had a temper tantrum in the process of making it, but I love that about Ben too.

• Love 4

Re: Captain Lee's blog.

I want to smack him. Most of the issues with the deck crew wouldn't have happened if Lee had talked to Nico prior to EJ's arrival. If you want to give someone help, tell him that. Don't surprise him with a new crew member who outranks him and refuse to talk about how long he might stay. Although Lee wrote "You (Nico) don’t have to report to him (EJ); you need to work with him for the good of the yacht and the season" in what universe does a deck hand not report to the bosun?

Also, Lee says he is not sympathetic about Chris Brown having to sleep in the crew mess. Again with the passive-aggressiveness. As with the anchor watch, if you're going to punish someone, tell him why. It makes it easier for him to change his bad behavior if he knows what it is. And how about a little sympathy for the rest of the crew, who might want to use the mess but don't want to disturb the guy sleeping there? No, Lee, it's your boat and your responsibility. If you don't have space for an extra crew member, don't bring on an extra crew member. Kate was right, you're lucky there's no HR department on a yacht.

About Kate he says, "Nice of you to offer to let Jen have some extra time off when she wanted to do something special...." It was nice of her to treat her employees the same? Pffft.

• Love 4

I'm beginning to see a recurring theme on both of of the Below Deck series.....Stupid guy (deck hand, chef, bosun etc) falls for one of the stews. The stew is young and nothing but a flirt/attention whore. Stew is eating up all the attention she's getting from the male chef/deck hand etc.  They go out, get drunk and stew flirts with another male yacht employee. It's so redundant. And pathetic. And please Bravo, get rid of the selfish, boring ugly "single mom" with her sob story. Keep your legs closed or, make better choices with the men you choose to have kids with, OR get on birth control. She needs to go home to her kid and take on the role/job she created for herself....single mom.

• Love 2

I don't know why it didn't clicked earlier, but I just remembered having read some months ago that Kyle Dixon (BD S04) was filming for THIS season and had been seen in St Marteen filming with Lee...

So, that probably imply that some deckhand (ChrisBrown ?) is fired and replaced by Kyle !?

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Diane Mars said:

I don't know why it didn't clicked earlier, but I just remembered having read some months ago that Kyle Dixon (BD S04) was filming for THIS season and had been seen in St Marteen filming with Lee...

So, that probably imply that some deckhand (ChrisBrown ?) is fired and replaced by Kyle !?

Noooooooooo.  Not Kyle.  Dude was sketchy, sketchy, sketch, sketch, sketch.  I'd be done.

If they bring him back then I think it's true that all the good deckhands in the yachting universe are, indeed, otherwise employed.

• Love 2

I’m going to guess Nico wasn’t informed of EJ to amp up the drama. In a normal setting I’m sure Lee would have said something. 

They would have been better off probably just firing Chris if they didn’t have the room. It’s not like he does anything anyway. But producer shenanigans of making him sleep in the crew mess makes for good TV plus a little twist of the knife before letting him go I guess.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I'm beginning to see a recurring theme on both of of the Below Deck series.....Stupid guy (deck hand, chef, bosun etc) falls for one of the stews. The stew is young and nothing but a flirt/attention whore. Stew is eating up all the attention she's getting from the male chef/deck hand etc.  They go out, get drunk and stew flirts with another male yacht employee. It's so redundant. And pathetic. And please Bravo, get rid of the selfish, boring ugly "single mom" with her sob story. Keep your legs closed or, make better choices with the men you choose to have kids with, OR get on birth control. She needs to go home to her kid and take on the role/job she created for herself....single mom.

I don't think Bri has shown herself to be like Malia, at least so far.

I don't like Jen either but do we even know why/how she ended up a single mom? 

• Love 2
On 10/3/2017 at 7:19 PM, HunterHunted said:

A flotilla of assholes tonight. From beginning to end:

• Chris Brown for being hungover, lazy, and refusing to stop talking about it
  • Bri for agreeing to a date with Matt knowing inside that she didn't like him that way
  • Matt for getting stinking drunk and nasty on their date
  • Jen for bitching about Bri going on a date and when Kate offers a reasonable solution, says she doesn't want it, but still complains
  • Lee for not telling Nico or the deck crew that they were getting a Bosun
  • Nico for being a sour entitled baby. The only reason he thinks he should be Bosun is because big dick Kelley was barely qualified to be a Bosun last season
  • Jen for being 5 minutes late for work and then wasting 15 minutes curling her hair like an idiot.

Is EJ annoying? Yes, but I don't know if he's an asshole.

Considering that they didn't drink, I think it's weird that the guests chartered a yacht. It just seems like you'd get a better experience staying in a luxury hotel, eating at different restaurants, and chartering a yacht for a day to swim and jetski.

I'd like to know what the heck T-Rexxing the shit out of someone is.

What?! So a person shouldn't charter a boat like this unless they are going to drink alcohol?? Really? I haven't had a drink in over 20 years and this makes me laugh. I feel bad for people who don't think a person can have fun unless they're drinking alcohol.  

I'm confused as to why a person shouldn't charter a yacht unless they're going to drink. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

I'm confused as to why a person shouldn't charter a yacht unless they're going to drink. 

Yeah, maybe you shouldn't go to an all-inclusive resort that markets itself as "24 hour free booze" ('cause you're paying for something you're not using) but my (limited) understanding is that the guests do pay for the booze they consume on the yacht. So ..... they can enjoy their time anyway they like to.

7 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

7 hours ago, ryebread said:

Noooooooooo.  Not Kyle.  Dude was sketchy, sketchy, sketch, sketch, sketch.  I'd be done.

If they bring him back then I think it's true that all the good deckhands in the yachting universe are, indeed, otherwise employed.

I thought Kyle was in jail when they were filming. It seems he was arrested and allowed to travel to film part of season 5.

http://www.realitytea.com/2017/02/22/decks-kyle-dixon-arrested-bar-robbery/#

Kyle is one of my favorite additions to the Bravolebrity ranks. He'd be perfect on Vanderpump Rules because he's super sketchy. He cheated on his fiancé, Ashley, with his baby mama, who he knocked up next to a dumpster. His is Jaxian level douchebaggery.

• Love 4
On 10/4/2017 at 11:16 AM, eurekagirl mOo said:

Is it Bosun? Or Boatswain? 

via Merriam Webster:

boatswain

noun  boat·swain  \ ˈbō-sᵊn \

variants: or bosun or less commonly bos'n or bo's'n or bo'sun

Popularity: Bottom 30% of words

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 1

Just catching the end of Overboard (I flove this movie. I'll stop whenever I see it no matter what point of the film). The film was released in 1987, and that yacht is way nicer than the Valor. They've been destroying this boat all season...is this gonna end like Little House? Are they gonna blow up the Valor??

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Maharincess said:

What?! So a person shouldn't charter a boat like this unless they are going to drink alcohol?? Really? I haven't had a drink in over 20 years and this makes me laugh. I feel bad for people who don't think a person can have fun unless they're drinking alcohol.  

I'm a little confused too.  My husband and I don't drink but we would like to think that we are just as welcome to charter a yacht as anyone else. I also agree with your point about being able to have fun without alcohol. 

I've always wondered about the charter guests that are the HEAVY drinkers (the ones that drink to the point of excess). Do they remember any of the yacht after it is over?  If I'm going to pay that much for a charter, I want to remember it!

5 hours ago, dleighg said:

Yeah, maybe you shouldn't go to an all-inclusive resort that markets itself as "24 hour free booze" ('cause you're paying for something you're not using) but my (limited) understanding is that the guests do pay for the booze they consume on the yacht. So ..... they can enjoy their time anyway they like to.

I've gone to all-inclusive resorts as a non-drinker and paid the full price.  To me it is a whatever because I'm still getting food and other things included in the all-inclusive price.  I like knowing that I can eat 5 meals a day, if desired.  As to your second statement, some places (especially in Dubai and the rest of the GCC part of the Middle East) will have bubbly and non-bubbly rates for boat charters, inclusive hotel stays, brunches, etc. 

• Love 6

Jen and her leisurely curling iron give new meaning to the expression "dumb as a box of hair."

Love Kate's one-liners. I hated earlier seasons when she got into passive-aggressive fights with the staff. Glad she figured out it is not a good look.

I suspect that Matt is that guy who veers from drunken fool to drunken abuser. He said his girlfriend didn't like his "partying," which may be code for alcoholic. After heavy drinking and getting rebuffed by Bri, he completely shut down the next day. Very weird, given his important role on the cruise.

One of the charter guests - the supposed foodie - looked very familiar. I bet he's been on another reality show.

I think some of these folks arrive on the scene, all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, hoping to "get discovered." Meanwhile they can't do their jobs, they get embarrassed on national TV, and they come crashing back to terra firma.

Interesting that Kate and Lee are doing podcasts. I haven't heard Kate on any new TV commercials; last season she could be heard on Moto commercials.

Edited by pasdetrois
On 10/4/2017 at 7:14 AM, ryebread said:

You forgot:  Watch Kate's sarcastic humor. 

Yawn.  That's all she's got.  Chick is perpetually bored and above it all.

I'm bored with Kates boredom.

• Love 4

I'm not  much of a drinker, though I can see the "oh shit" attitude from the crew when faced with a dry cruise; booze covers a multitude of sins.  The fact is, every single charter group this season has seemed dull as dishwater, booze or no.  I cannot imagine paying yacht-charter kind of money to do anything they've done this season. 

• Love 4

I cannot imagine paying yacht-charter kind of money to do anything they've done this season. 

The series seems like economy yachting, rather than the luxurious yachting experiences I've heard about. It's a fancy-ish hotel that floats. I'm not a picky diner and I don't drink, but I can get can truly gourmet, farm- or -bay-to-table food in my neighborhood.

Still, it's different from other reality TV shows and as long as they refrain more middle school drama, I'll watch.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Nancypants said:

Just seems like a huge waste of money. Note the sad whoo wooing at the equally saggy and sad disco party. I 've seen better parties in a basement. 

I agree.  I honestly don't know what kind of entertainment would make these cruises look less...tacky.  Even when they brought the musicians onboard because they ended up docked for the night, it just felt sad and cringe-y.  Remember the foam party?  Oy.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:20 AM, pasdetrois said:

I suspect that Matt is that guy who veers from drunken fool to drunken abuser. He said his girlfriend didn't like his "partying," which may be code for alcoholic. After heavy drinking and getting rebuffed by Bri, he completely shut down the next day. Very weird, given his important role on the cruise.

I hope not.  I'm not ready to paint him as an alcoholic abuser yet but there are some red flags.  I was hoping that he shut down after being a jackass because he was ashamed of himself. But it could've been the start of trying to control her.  Good for Bri for not taking the bait.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ryebread said:

I hope not.  I'm not ready to paint him as an alcoholic abuser yet but there are some red flags.  I was hoping that he shut down after being a jackass because he was ashamed of himself. But it could've been the start of trying to control her.  Good for Bri for not taking the bait.

I absolutely thought it was because he was embarrassed. He mentioned that his partying had been a point of contention in his last relationship. It seemed like he was beginning to realize he might have sort of a problem and needed to stock of his life. I thought his quiet behavior was part shame, part reflection. 

• Love 10
On 10/4/2017 at 5:04 AM, bichonblitz said:

Agree. I think Nico should be pissed at Captn. Lee, not the bosun. The bosun was asked to come there and help out. Lee should have told the crew about it before he arrived. That was a shitty and unprofessional move on Lee's part. Also, there wasn't enough room for another crew member so someone should have been let go. On a ship full of inept crew members, that shouldn't have been too difficult. 

So true! I'm no fan of Nico, not in the least, but he did do the right thing and approach Lee calmly, asking about the new bosun; how long he'll be here, is it permanent, what's the deal with chris living in the crew galley, etc. Nothing pissed me off more than Capt Lee being a passive aggressive shit and blowing him off entirely. 

I'm sure it's all producer driven, but it's poorly executed. When the captain is in idgaf mode, I'm on the verge of not caring. This show was so much better when it was a bunch of competent people with too much money and poor decision making skills. Too much producer interference and I may as well watch a scripted drama instead.

• Love 8
On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:39 PM, ghoulina said:

I absolutely thought it was because he was embarrassed. He mentioned that his partying had been a point of contention in his last relationship. It seemed like he was beginning to realize he might have sort of a problem and needed to stock of his life. I thought his quiet behavior was part shame, part reflection. 

I think that he was embarrassed, too.  I just caught the last 2 minutes of this epi and he pretty much says he's embarrassed and needs to get his act together.

• Love 2
On 10/6/2017 at 2:54 PM, Rebecca said:

I don't think Bri has shown herself to be like Malia, at least so far.

I don't like Jen either but do we even know why/how she ended up a single mom? 

Not sure what constitutes being like Malia but Bri has been sniffing around Nico since day one, thowing out hints that are like the ACME anvil in a Roadrunner cartoon. We get it Bri, you wanna bump uglies with Nico. We.Get.It. She doesn't give a damn that he has a girlfriend and everyone knows he has one. Sounds like Malia to me...

• Love 2
2 hours ago, gingerella said:

Not sure what constitutes being like Malia but Bri has been sniffing around Nico since day one, thowing out hints that are like the ACME anvil in a Roadrunner cartoon. We get it Bri, you wanna bump uglies with Nico. We.Get.It. She doesn't give a damn that he has a girlfriend and everyone knows he has one. Sounds like Malia to me...

The person I quoted described: "Stupid guy (deck hand, chef, bosun etc) falls for one of the stews. The stew is young and nothing but a flirt/attention whore. Stew is eating up all the attention she's getting from the male chef/deck hand etc.  They go out, get drunk and stew flirts with another male yacht employee." That's Malia but Bri has not done that, yet. Being thirsty for Nico is a whole other situation.

• Love 1

I also wonder if Bri went on the date partly because she agreed to do it during their drunken revelries (he asked her, she fell off the chair, and I think when she came back up she sort of said yes), even though she seemed not to remember it and seemed somewhat surprised about it when he mentioned it the next morning.  I think she figured she'd committed to the date, and then explained it away with the "not attracted, but how will I know if I don't go one one date?" comment.

• Love 1