Type keyword(s) to search

Kevin (Probably) Saves The World - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 10/12/2017 at 11:11 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Ok, I seriously was taken aback when that image popped up and I swore it was a shark. But a boat does make more sense. 

I thought it was a shark as well. In the still picture above, sure we can see it's a boat, but during the episode, it went by so fast, it looked like JAWS attacking! At least to me as well.

Still don't like Yvette or Leslie; and now Amy is grating on my nerves. I can honestly say, about 10 years ago, other than looking like his dad, I could never see John in his son or acting. But here? It is so eerie! It would have been amazing to see both father and son together in a show with Jason all grown up. He really inherited his father's acting talent. As much as I love Mark Harmon, his son, Sean, doesn't come anywhere near close; either in talent or in looks (Yes, yes, I'm a shallow wench).

And like others have posted, I'd like PROOF of what a terrible, HORRIBLE person Kevin was. Because I'm just not buying it.

• Love 1
On 10/11/2017 at 6:15 PM, iMonrey said:

The problem is that I don't know what the heck Kevin is supposed to do except "learn to embrace his righteousness" and even that doesn't mean anything to me. How is he supposed to find these 35 other righteous souls? What does it even mean to be righteous, and what exactly is their purpose WRT saving the world? There is a vague religious connotation to this premise but obviously the network doesn't want to alienate any one demographic so the whole plot is ill-defined. 

In Jason Ritter they've found the embodiment of rootability but I have no idea what his objective is.

This is exactly how I feel about it. When we as viewers have no idea what or whar or why our protagonist is doing things it’s hard to maintain interest. They don’t need a full disclosure but at least a general understanding. 

I may have dreamt this but didn’t Yvette one time say she knew as much as he did?  That makes no sense to me for plot development. 

• Love 2

Kevin: I've got some ideas for a YA novel. Serious question - would you rather read a book called Vampire Sluts or Murder Teens? Or Robot High School?

Kevin: The real question is why do you think goth is still a thing?
Reese: I'm not goth.
Kevin: Emo.
Reese: Do you know how old you sound right now?

Kevin: Are you an angel?
Yvette: Angels are a human construct. Let's just say I'm a warrior for God.
Kevin: Can I see your wings?
Yvette: Okay, cool, we're done with questions.

Yvette: Don't you see the gift that you've been given? To serve God, to protect humanity. What more could one want from existence?
Kevin: I can think of millions of things right now. Money, naps, girls, sushi, muscles, an awesome electric guitar, guitar lessons.

Kevin: Here's another problem - I don't believe in God.
Yvette: God does not stop existing based on what you believe.
Kevin: Yeah, well, I don't believe THAT either.

Tyler: I found this shirt in the street. It's my favorite street shirt.

Kevin: I think everything is beautiful and I don't like it.

Kevin: Any answer but no means yes.

Kevin: So I'm supposed to go around hugging strangers? Should I just register as a sex offender now?
Yvette: You know what a hug is, right?

Kevin: Can I hug you? Quick hug. No weird stuff.

• Love 2
On 10/8/2017 at 10:41 AM, possibilities said:

RE the Amy Adams lookalike issue:

I was so convinced it was Amy Adams, I didn't even question it, and I was shocked to find out it wasn't.

And then I saw this on YouTube:

This interview doesn't mention Joanna Garcia Swisher, but it does reference Jessica Chastain.... apparently there is a lot of confusion out there....

Every generation needs a Dylan McDermott/Dermot Mulroney combo to confuse everyone!

• Love 1

God, what a good little show. It's funny, sweet, and hits all the right moments for me. I do like that Amy and Kevin told each of their friends about why Kevin was back. We also got more insight into why Amy's so protective over her brother. Their relationship is the best part of the show. I love how Kevin hates lying to his sister as well. All he wants to do is tell her. Well, with Reese catching on, she's not magically withheld from telling the truth so if she can get the full story, maybe she can get Amy to believe. I think it'll take quite a bit to get Amy to be a believer, though. Maybe that'll be the end to season 1...and hopefully open doors to a potential season 2. 

I think, with Yvette interacting with more than just Kevin, it'll help give her layers that they haven't touched on quite yet. I like seeing her own little substory with the other celestial beings. I hope to see them pop in every now and again. 

I liked Dr. Sloane. I think he's a good therapist and I like how he wasn't just there for Kevin, but he also helped Amy a little. 

Each episode really does seem to be teaching some sort of lesson, and I am really enjoying that aspect. It's teaching without going preachy. 

And I have to stress again how I appreciate that they've dropped Amy's NASA work scenes for now. 

This is a show I definitely rewatch just to catch all the funny moments I may have missed. 

• Love 7

When the universe leads Kevin to help Lucille – a mean-spirited diner owner – with some family drama, he quickly finds himself stuck in the middle of a tricky situation with her equally difficult sister. Meanwhile, Reese entertains the thought of Kevin having special powers, and Yvette begins to struggle with the side effects of being on Earth.

Promo:

• Love 1

i admit i was only half watching the first episode but wasn't kevin driving the vintage truck when he and his niece chased the falling whatever it was? and i don't remember the sister coming home. was it explained what kind of strange job she has? this show is hard to follow for some reason. maybe because i don't really like it but jason ritter is a wonderful actor. he deserves something that flows better.

Did anyone else expect it to turn out that the fiance was gay? I just thought he was a little too into the wedding planning and the flowers and so on and I was half convinced that's where the story was going.

I really want to like this show, because Jason Ritter is just so darn good, but the show itself really sucks and makes no sense. Three episodes in and I still really don't understand the premise or the point of it. Yvette is an angel and Kevin is righteous and . . . so? It's just his job to help people every week? Isn't that just "Touched By An Angel" with a human intermediary? What point does Yvette even serve? It's not like she's helping or guiding Kevin in any tangible way. She's just making him look crazy and reckless and it's a wonder he hasn't been locked back up on the psych ward by now.

• Love 4

Yvette said last night that she is not an angel. She also said that having Kevin break up a marriage is "more like the Universe I know." So I don't think we're dealing with the Judeo-Christian version of spiritual beings. The fact that the others like Yvette have given up after they "failed" also indicates that they aren't part of the mythos of angels.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

What point does Yvette even serve? It's not like she's helping or guiding Kevin in any tangible way. She's just making him look crazy and reckless and it's a wonder he hasn't been locked back up on the psych ward by now.

Yvette seems to be working within the boundaries of free will to keep Kevin on track with his mission. Fortunately for Kevin (and many of us), you can't be locked up any more just for looking crazy and acting eccentric.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, msrachelj said:

i admit i was only half watching the first episode but wasn't kevin driving the vintage truck when he and his niece chased the falling whatever it was? and i don't remember the sister coming home. was it explained what kind of strange job she has? this show is hard to follow for some reason. maybe because i don't really like it but jason ritter is a wonderful actor. he deserves something that flows better.

He was driving his car, which got crushed later in the episode.

The sister (Amy) is a professor of aeronautical engineering, apparently. It seems that the government sometimes brings her in as a science consultant.

Jason Ritter reminds me of Joey Tribbiani, but he is very good and Mr MML loooooves this show so much--maybe it's a guy show, although I do like it too. I still remember John Ritter's performance as the preacher in The Waltons, especially the book burning episode--he was so good. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Bobbin said:

Fortunately for Kevin (and many of us), you can't be locked up any more just for looking crazy and acting eccentric.

Kevin needs to pull his cell phone out when he talks to Yvette in public and pretend he's making a call. Before cell phones (yes, children, there was a time before cell phones, back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth), people talking to themselves on the street were crazy. Now, when I hear someone talking and no one else is around, I just assume they're on the phone.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
Because there is a difference among there, their, and they're
  • Love 11

Yvette: This is the start of your spiritual journey.
Kevin: It doesn't feel spiritual. It feels like wet push ups.

Kevin: The rain is so wet!

Amy: You need to make getting better a priority.
Kevin: I am.
Amy: Really? It's kind of hard to believe that when you're up at 4am printing flyers that make you sound like a prostitute.

Kevin's amended flyer:
Need help?
Call Kevin
I'll do anything!
Free!
No dirty stuff please!

Tyler: Free help? What a great idea!
Kevin: It doesn't make me seem like a prostitute, right?
Tyler: No! Prostitutes charge money.

Yvette: A cream cheese and jelly sandwich? What are you? In preschool?

Amy: Before you got here, I went through your room to make sure that there was nothing in there that you could use to hurt yourself with.
Kevin: You forgot my Alamo letter opener.

• Love 1

How does Kevin have absolutely no money left? He had a high paying job in New York so he should have some money saved. He should be able to buy a cheap used car instead of needing Amy's old truck.

Kevin's prostitute flyers made me laugh. No dirty stuff please!

I love Jason Ritter and Gunn from Angel is a bonus! I just hope the cop character gets more to do than give Kevin rides. It's obvious that he has a crush on Amy but that she's not ready for a relationship yet so I hope they don't push that angle too much and have them get together too soon. This show obviously reminds me of Joan of Arcadia but I also got a dash of Wonderfalls (even without the Pink Flamingos similarity). This show isn't quite as whimsical as Wonderfalls but the way Jaye got exasperated with the various signs and being sent to do things without being told exactly why as well as not realizing the ultimate goal of her tasks until later definitely came to mind when I watched this show.

I know Tyler is supposed to be a doofus but I love how cheerful and enthusiastic he is about everything. When he spilled his beer on the karaoke machine and he started slurping the beer off the top, I laughed.

It was fun to see Luke from Veronica Mars and Mr. Healy from OITNB as the beer guys. I too liked that Jake didn't want to run off to be a hipster or write a novel or whatever. He just knew that he didn't like beer and that he was doing it out of obligation which is enough of a reason for me!

On 10/11/2017 at 3:15 PM, iMonrey said:

In Jason Ritter they've found the embodiment of rootability but I have no idea what his objective is.

I think that the audience is supposed to identify with Kevin so all of us are in the same boat - we don't know what he's supposed to do. So far all we've learned is that he needs to try to be less selfish and help others, which I'm sure is true for all of us.

On 10/11/2017 at 8:27 PM, KaveDweller said:

Kevin said he graduated in 1999, so that's a good 18 years.  Did she just sleep with him so she could ghost him right after, or was she actually into it and just got upset when he tried to make it more than just sex?

On 10/12/2017 at 4:56 AM, icemiser69 said:

It sounded like a form of revenge sex to me.  I don't defend what Kevin did when he was young, but if his ex wanted an apology for what happened, she should have sat down and talked with him about it like a grown adult.  She looks far worse now than he does.

On 10/15/2017 at 4:49 PM, Check Sanity said:

Why are people seeing the ex thing as revenge sex? I mean, I know how and to me it seems like it has more to do with projection than actually taking in what the character has been like thus far and what she said and acted like in the episode. She clearly likes him, and if anything, the sex was about her getting some closure. She was upfront about why she doesn't want another try at a relationship and was forgiving about past Kevin. Not a vindictive move. She even still likes that past Kevin despite the ghosting, as shown by her acknowledging he was too "smooth" but still had a lot to like about him. Then with the reactions during and after ending the phone call, she's clearly got butterfly's, that is also not a vindictive person.

I didn't read it as revenge sex at all. When he dropped Reese off at school and she spotted him, she seemed happy to see him. I didn't see any indication of her holding a grudge. She was very friendly and excited to see him. When she ran into him at the bar, they started flirting out of habit (it's so easy to fall back into the patterns and behaviors you have with certain people, even if you haven't seen them for years). After they had sex, she wasn't cold or mean to him. She still seemed very friendly and not bitter or vengeful. It wasn't until he suggested spending the night that her attitude changed slightly, and that's perfectly normal to me. Just because you have sex with someone doesn't mean you have to have a sleepover, especially when you aren't boyfriend/girlfriend. She wasn't rude about it either. She initially told him to go home so Amy wouldn't worry and then said she had an early yoga class, both of which are reasonable explanations for not wanting someone to spend the night.

When her attitude really changed was when she saw him the next day though. Notice that when he spotted her at the farmers' market, she was still very friendly to him until he pressed her about having dinner. He clearly thought that sleeping with her once meant that they were going to be boyfriend/girlfriend or seeing each other regularly in a romantic way. Slow your roll, dude. You had sex once. That doesn't mean you are dating now. I don't think she slept with him to get back at him. I think she slept with him because she wanted to have sex with him, which is totally fine! I didn't see any ulterior motive in that and I didn't see any bitterness or anything that would indicate she was trying to get back at him.

Many years ago, back in the sixties and can be seen now in rerun form, was a series called, "My Mother the Car".  It was so awful, that I could not stop watching the reruns.  It really is kind of weird.  So horrible I couldn't change the channel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Mother_the_Car

I don't think Amy is headed down that path.  At least I hope not.  It sounds to me like she is trying to work things out by talking it out, out loud.  Not all that unusual.  For example, some people talk to their pets.    It is is just the way that some people cope in stressful situations. 

My dad died over three years ago and my mom still talks to him like he's there. It's not specifically the car though.

23 hours ago, msrachelj said:

i admit i was only half watching the first episode but wasn't kevin driving the vintage truck when he and his niece chased the falling whatever it was?

14 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

He was driving his car, which got crushed later in the episode.

Yes, Kevin was definitely driving his car when he and Reese went to check out the meteor. He put the meteor in the back seat of the car.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

How does Kevin have absolutely no money left? He had a high paying job in New York so he should have some money saved. He should be able to buy a cheap used car instead of needing Amy's old truck.

Forget about using his own money--his car was totaled through no fault of his own--that tractor trailer rolled right over it and crushed it. The insurance company should have sent him a check so he could buy another car. Sure it wouldn't be the same as the cost when he bought his original car, but whatever the value was worth, but that's one of the reasons for insurance, right?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Forget about using his own money--his car was totaled through no fault of his own--that tractor trailer rolled right over it and crushed it. The insurance company should have sent him a check so he could buy another car. Sure it wouldn't be the same as the cost when he bought his original car, but whatever the value was worth, but that's one of the reasons for insurance, right?

It was mentioned it was a rental car.

2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Kevin needs to pull his cell phone out when he talks to Yvette in public and pretend he's making a call. Before cell phones (yes, children, there was a time before cell phones, back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth), people talking to themselves on the street were crazy. Now, when I hear someone talking and no one else is around, I just assume they're on the phone.

Just stick a Bluetooth or his headphones in. And just leave them there. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Yvette said last night that she is not an angel. She also said that having Kevin break up a marriage is "more like the Universe I know." So I don't think we're dealing with the Judeo-Christian version of spiritual beings. The fact that the others like Yvette have given up after they "failed" also indicates that they aren't part of the mythos of angels.

I'm basically looking at this show like quantum leap. Each week Sam leaped into someone's life without 100 percent knowledge as to why he needed it to be there but he help the way it was needed with the help of Al. Both shows never say right out that they are doing God's work. It's the hint or assumptions. At the end of day, it's just helping people who need it. Even if it's something simple.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Great idea. Even better, have Yvette's character exist only through his cell phone. We don't really need to see her.

I'm basically looking at this show like quantum leap. Each week Sam leaped into someone's life without 100 percent knowledge as to why he needed it to be there but he help the way it was needed with the help of Al. Both shows never say right out that they are doing God's work. It's the hint or assumptions. At the end of day, it's just helping people who need it. Even if it's something simple.

Nice analogy but Quantum Leap had a more solid premise. We understood Sam was simply trying to get home (until the ill-advised series finale, that is). I don't understand what the goal here is. We've been told Kevin is supposed to find the other 35 righteous souls. And then what happens? They save the world? From what? Is there a deadline? Who wins if they lose? What does it mean to have a righteous soul? Why is Kevin one of them? Is it random? 

The whole premise is just really flimsy and poorly explained. Yeah, I get what they're going for, a sort of "feel good" show about a guy who helps people. OK. But motivation is key and I don't get it. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Racj82 said:

loved quantum leap. but it was easier to understand than this. 

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Nice analogy but Quantum Leap had a more solid premise. We understood Sam was simply trying to get home (until the ill-advised series finale, that is). I don't understand what the goal here is. We've been told Kevin is supposed to find the other 35 righteous souls. And then what happens? They save the world? From what? Is there a deadline? Who wins if they lose? What does it mean to have a righteous soul? Why is Kevin one of them? Is it random? 

The whole premise is just really flimsy and poorly explained. Yeah, I get what they're going for, a sort of "feel good" show about a guy who helps people. OK. But motivation is key and I don't get it. 

I'm literally just talking about the week to week structure. But also, like Kevin, we never knew the why in regards to his missions week to week. Sam kept leaping and trying to fix what once went wrong...in hopes to one day go home. Kevin does the same in order to save the world. But, all the in between for both shows are super vague. 

So far, Quantum worked better because it had a smaller mission statement but it's literally been three weeks. We are seeing layers unpeeled every week. 

To be honest, I don't actually have the hangups other seem to have. Kevin is helping people and the characters are growing. I'm fine with that for now. I only question the future. It's like a murder she wrote issue. How many people can murdered in one area? How many people will he help in the same town? They will need to keep spreading things our as time goes on.

• Love 3

Kevin: So just to clarify, you watched me walk across town in my underwear and you didn't wake me up. It didn't even occur to you?

Kevin: I'm laughing about cancer and that feels weird.

Deb: I can't deal with wedding planning. DJ or band? Cotton or linen tableclothes? Wine or liquor? Who cares?
Yvette: Jazz band, pima cotton, signature cocktail.

Kevin: I was just here looking for literature on...chlamydia?

Ben: Cilantro makes [Deb] want to kill everyone.

Dr. Sloane: It's just that ambush therapy generally isn't productive.

Kevin: I tasted your birth control pills when we were 15

Kevin: Please. I worked on Wall Street. I know what a lie is.

Yvette: Why are you helping with [Ben and Deb's] wedding, Kevin?
Kevin: Because I've always thought of being a wedding planner. I love weddings. I want to be a wedding planner. I've seen every episode of Say Yes to the Dress.
Yvette: What is Say Yes to the Dress?
Kevin: It's an awesome television program that I enjoy while I'm folding laundry.

Dr. Sloan: Ah, to be young and dismissive.

Kevin: I've got to break this couple up.
Tyler: Might I suggest a crippling gambling addiction? Online poker ends relationships quick.
Kevin: Tyler, I worry about you.
Tyler: What are you talking about? My life's awesome!
Lucille: Your life's garbage.

Ben: What do you think about fondant? It's pretty and all but I think we're a buttercream family.

Dr. Sloan: Kevin, maybe I'm missing something but how in the hell is wrecking a marriage and getting punched in the face supposed to be helping?

Nate: Slow down, slow down! I have shin splints!

Tyler: Have you ever been punched in the butt? Like really hard.

Tyler: I have a vestigial tail. What? I thought we were going around the table making confessions and stuff.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

I find the show similar to Wonderfalls in that the protagonists know that they are supposed to follow the signs/listen to the universe and there's a reason to the tasks/missions they are given, but they still haven't been told what their purpose is. Yes, Yvette told Kevin that his ultimate goal is to find the other 35 righteous souls, but the things he's been sent to do aren't a direct path to that. I know she said that he needs to start being less selfish, get some personal growth, and develop his powers (or connection? I can't remember the exact word she used in the first episode), but neither Kevin nor Jaye were told, "You have to do 20 things and then this will happen." It's more like they're in a dark room with their hands stretched out trying to find the light switch. Or maybe it's more like they're part of the spiritual version of a Rube Goldberg machine.

Anyway, I'm glad that some people in town now know about Kevin's suicide attempt. Not because I want them to give him sympathy but because keeping it a secret was keeping him at arm's length from them. Plus now he doesn't have to hide it from them. I know people don't mean to pry when they ask why he's back in town but keeping it a secret made him seem evasive and I'm sure it probably made him feel even more guilty/ashamed.

Deb and Yvette, the answer to the question "Wine or liquor?" is BOTH.

While I'm not condoning spying on people, I had to laugh when Nate was giving Amy and Reese tips on how to do it better. Seriously, don't stand in front of a glass storefront and look in unless you want to get caught!

• Love 2
On 10/17/2017 at 8:16 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I think, with Yvette interacting with more than just Kevin, it'll help give her layers that they haven't touched on quite yet. I like seeing her own little substory with the other celestial beings. I hope to see them pop in every now and again.

Agreed -- I want her to have her own "agency" as well.

On 10/18/2017 at 2:35 PM, icemiser69 said:

Not too thrilled about having Kevin help break up a marriage that would have probably broken up on its own anyway.

But then they would have hated each other.  Kevin was able to have them break it off and still be friends.

I can't seem to settle with this show. Still love Jason Ritter but am souring on almost everyone else. (I like his ex-girlfriend, who seems genuinely sweet and caring.) I like moments in the show, but it still feels like it's got too narrow a view of what's good and proper, especially when Yvette says that breaking up a couple is more like the Universe she knows. That was an interesting element. Yet she still expects a narrow range of "perfect" behavior from him, and her "praise" annoys me. He found a better solution for the couple when she didn't care about the fallout, and then she praises him?

It seems that way with the whole show: I like a bit, then dislike more. Jason Ritter may not be enough for me to keep watching. I'll give it a little longer in hopes that they'll introduce something more than a "case of the week" format and settle into the real story they're trying to tell. I mean, I hope there's more. It seems like there is. Audiences are not patient. Just get to it.

• Love 2
On 10/19/2017 at 6:54 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Slow your roll, dude. You had sex once. That doesn't mean you are dating now.

But they have a history. There was emotional attachment, and they discussed that past. It isn't the same as some random hookup. If she only wanted to get together once - even just for old times' sake - she should have said so. She may not have set out for revenge, but she wasn't exactly upfront either. Since she didn't say anything to the contrary, it didn't seem unreasonable for him to think there was still something more there.

• Love 2
On 10/18/2017 at 2:29 PM, iMonrey said:

I really want to like this show, because Jason Ritter is just so darn good, but the show itself really sucks and makes no sense. Three episodes in and I still really don't understand the premise or the point of it. Yvette is an angel and Kevin is righteous and . . . so? It's just his job to help people every week? Isn't that just "Touched By An Angel" with a human intermediary? What point does Yvette even serve? It's not like she's helping or guiding Kevin in any tangible way. She's just making him look crazy and reckless and it's a wonder he hasn't been locked back up on the psych ward by now.

On 10/19/2017 at 2:53 PM, iMonrey said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. I love Jason Ritter, but it feels like premise was hastily put together, so the plot doesn't appear to be well-thought-out. I guess I don't understand how breaking up a marriage is going to help him find the other 35 righteous souls. I'm not sure how much longer I can hang in (despite how much I enjoy Ritter's work). 

• Love 1

I think at this point they're going for "Kevin improves himself by doing the right thing for someone else" - whatever that may be. It's all about him not thinking of himself because he was supposedly so horribly selfish before. They haven't really established that, in my opinion, but if the people he hurt so much were his sister and niece, all these antics aren't helping. They're winding Amy up instead - as the shrink pointed out.  So Kevin is sort of set up to fail in that regard since he can't tell her what he's doing. As someone suggested, perhaps his niece following him will lead to some kind of greater connection between them - eventually. --Also, the flash visions are meant to show that he's on the right track as they're apparently clues to the 35.

• Love 2
On 10/6/2017 at 1:38 AM, Grischa said:

I'm not even sure what the point of those military scenes was, just to establish that it had been 36 asteroids from different directions? Somehow I don't think the military stuff will be an ongoing thing

I thought they were trying to, if not establish, at least get us to question if this might not be an angel/Righteous/religious thing, but rather an aliens-using-that-construct-to-get-humans-to-do-what-they-say thing. That's how it read to me anyway. I think this is going in more of a Twilight Zone direction than a Joan of Arcadia direction, but even if it doesn't, I think the scene was there to add the possibility to the mix.

• Love 4

If she only wanted to get together once - even just for old times' sake - she should have said so.

By the same token, if he thought that having sex meant that they were getting back together, then he should have said so.

On 10/20/2017 at 11:57 PM, justmehere said:

Since she didn't say anything to the contrary, it didn't seem unreasonable for him to think there was still something more there.

Neither of them said anything to indicate that they were doing anything more than having sex that one time. I don't think anyone should ever make assumptions about where things are going based on having sex once. Ex sex happens all the time for a multitude of reasons and not all of them are rekindling a relationship that has been non-existent for over a decade (I'm not sure exactly how old the characters are supposed to be, but since the actors who play Kevin, Amy, and Kristin are all in their 30s, I'm going to guess that it's been at least ten years since Kevin ditched Kristin when he left for college).

• Love 2

I think at this point they're going for "Kevin improves himself by doing the right thing for someone else" - whatever that may be. It's all about him not thinking of himself because he was supposedly so horribly selfish before.

Yes, but why? If some angel showed up, told me I'm the last of 35 "righteous souls" destined to save the world, I'd have some questions. Kevin is just blindly trying to be "good" and "help people" because - why? Because he blindly trusts Yvette? Even though he doesn't understand where all this is going? Or does he understand the whole thing even though we don't?

I still suspect the original concept of this show was watered down because it was deemed too religious for a mainstream audience, thus the vagueness of it all.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yes, but why? If some angel showed up, told me I'm the last of 35 "righteous souls" destined to save the world, I'd have some questions. Kevin is just blindly trying to be "good" and "help people" because - why? Because he blindly trusts Yvette? Even though he doesn't understand where all this is going? Or does he understand the whole thing even though we don't?

I still suspect the original concept of this show was watered down because it was deemed too religious for a mainstream audience, thus the vagueness of it all.

Well, to be fair to Kevin, he HAS asked Yvette several times, and she keeps giving him the same generic "the universe works in mysterious ways so just go with it because you're stuck with me" answer. Which I think is the show's way of saying that they have no specific end goal beyond finding the 35 other righteous souls. It's clear that they want to leave the end goal open so that they don't have to decide it right this second, but it could very well hinder the show. I would also like a more specific goal beyond finding the 35 righteous, even if it isn't the ultimate end goal. Just something more specific that convinces me that they know what they're doing. 

However, I still love the show because of the actors and the overall charm. 

• Love 3

I think Kevin did resist, but stuff kept happening that was worse than going along, so he gave in. I agree the show is leaving the big picture vague because it's easier to write an aimless adventure of the week than to write a dramedy about saving the world.

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Interesting. I suspect, if it even lasts long enough to have a "reveal" of what's going on, it's going to end up not being anything remotely religious at all, and the vagueness is a clue, not Network Meddling.

• Love 1

After draining his bank account in service of others, Kevin looks for a different way to help a single mom who's drowning in her son's medical bills. Meanwhile, Reese uses a school project to learn more about her uncle, and Yvette struggles with the full range of human emotions.

Promo:

This show! I start off wanting to like it, get really close to turning it off, and then it grabs me and I'm all in. Tyler clearly is a righteous soul. We need to get rid of Yvette, who does nothing but annoy, have Kevin bring Tyler and Reece into his confidence, and then the three of them go off to save the world.

• Love 9

This show is just so awesome still. This wasn't my favourite episode ever (far less Joanna Garcia Swisher than I'd like) but it was still decent. A lot of good insight on Yvette, and we got to see Kevin bond with her and be there for her in her time of need.

Tyler's pretty great. I really like the trio of him, Kevin, and Kristin, which is why I missed Kristin in this episode. I know she appeared for about five seconds in the school scene, but I wanted more of her. 

I'm glad to see Reese figuring out Kevin's secret. It works since Kevin literally cannot tell her, so her following him around makes sense. Unless Yvette lets Kevin tell Reese, she won't get the whole story...or if Kevin plays charades with her. 

• Love 3

I have four episodes saved up, but this isn't doing well as a binge show.  So many rules, so little explanation. 

And Jason Ritter, charming though he is, is trying my patience a bit with all the uncertain stammering.  I'm starting to notice when he gets out a complete sentence without . . . um, I don't know . . . [helpless shrug] like, a big . . .uh, kind of . . . pause, in the middle?  That's not good.

But I'll take a break and come back to catch up.  I like a magic-y show--although I thought it was a mistake when they pulled a bait & switch with the deaf guy in the airport being one of the righteous.  That would have been some good positive reinforcement for both Kevin, and us.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

This show! I start off wanting to like it, get really close to turning it off, and then it grabs me and I'm all in. Tyler clearly is a righteous soul. We need to get rid of Yvette, who does nothing but annoy, have Kevin bring Tyler and Reece into his confidence, and then the three of them go off to save the world.

Yeah, Tyler is great.  The premise of the show that Kevin has to keep this a secret from his family is bothering me though.  I don't see the purpose of it, other than making things extra difficult for the main character and creating more conflict. 

Of course, if he told his sister, she would just think he was crazy... so he would need a way to actually prove it.  And considering that he just recently tried to commit suicide, having him unable to explain all of this crazy behavior is very frustrating to watch. 

From the preview, it looks like things will keep getting worse for Kevin... which, for me, will make it more difficult to watch.

• Love 2

Posting on this thread as it seems to be the last episode I watched and probably the last.  I agree with many of these comments.  There are many things I like about it, and would think I would want to keep watching.  But I get tired of not really knowing what direction they are going, what he is supposed to do, and that he has to look like a weirdo all of the time talking to someone other people can't see.  That part of the storyline alone was the main reason I only half watched this episode.  I think it has potential, but I don't have the patience.

• Love 1