Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E03: Go Big or Go Home

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, kinnej5 said:

IF she's had it ten years, this means she already had it when she first showed up at St Ambrose on Private Practice in 2010. I kind of wish they didn't do that, but I like that she was stressing out about all the patient she supposedly screwed up over the years. I'm not surprised Amelia's mortality rate is lower than Derek's, he could get pretty abrasive.

I don't like that Amelia's had her tumor for that long. Wanting to retcon her character since she came on Grey's is one thing, but to suggest that her entire onscreen existence on PP was affected by this, too, is such a cop-out. 

The thing about Derek's mortality rate vs. Amelia's is measured on an unfair bar seeing as Derek spent more time at SGH/GSM than Amelia has. She's only been there a few years, and Richard specifically said "since you've been at this hospital". 

Carina Deluca's shiny new toy charm has already worn off. Dr. Minnick set the bar very low, so anyone compared to her is going to seem better by default, but I feel like her and Arizona are mismatched. 

I'm really loving Bailey this season. She's gotten out of her unlikable funk without having to have a brain tumor to excuse it. 

I can't help but think what Cristina would've done or how she would've reacted if she was there when Harper Avery died. I really miss her. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 9

I liked the episode. Like most of you, hate DeLuca's sister. That sex and orgasm talk all the time gets annoying.

But I hope Amelia's operation won't be one of the "OMG there is a crisis, will she die". They do that a lot, and it gets boring. 

• Love 3

Amelia's tumor will probably be like Derek's hand. There will probably be an entire arc about how she won't be able to operate for a while (if ever), along with dealing with her addiction issues and the stuff with Owen. She will probably be back to normal by the winter premiere. 

Considering all of the comments about the four sisters growing up, if there's no mention of her mother and sisters during this story, I will be upset. Even if they've written her off, they should still show some concern for her because Derek would have shown it and he would have wanted them to treat her the same way they would have treated him had he had the tumor. 

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

Amelia's tumor will probably be like Derek's hand. There will probably be an entire arc about how she won't be able to operate for a while (if ever), along with dealing with her addiction issues and the stuff with Owen. She will probably be back to normal by the winter premiere. 

Considering all of the comments about the four sisters growing up, if there's no mention of her mother and sisters during this story, I will be upset. Even if they've written her off, they should still show some concern for her because Derek would have shown it and he would have wanted them to treat her the same way they would have treated him had he had the tumor. 

Living siblings or family members that aren't busy with work on other series or movies showing up on Grey's because they have a family member in distress or medical situation? Why would that happen, be like Meredith's other half sister who hasn't been mentioned since season 4 who apparently never want anything to do with Lexi's death or ever knowing Mer was her half sister. Or Amelia and Derek's other two sisters who we saw back in season 2, but never to be heard or shown again, who are ALSO in the medical field as nurses. Nah! Why would that happen. Just like no one has mentioned how Amelia's emotional and mind changing has been so on the dime for the last few years, but: "Don't use drugs kids, it will mess you up." No it's now: "brain tumor for 10 years." 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, funnygirl said:

The thing about Derek's mortality rate vs. Amelia's is measured on an unfair bar seeing as Derek spent more time at SGH/GSM than Amelia has. She's only been there a few years, and Richard specifically said "since you've been at this hospital". 

When Derek was sued in Season 5, we know his mortality rate was much higher than that, but they said it was because he did so many high-risk operations.  But by all means, show, let's retcon the past so we can make Amelia the BESTEST NEUROSURGEON EVER! Practically a superhero to the point where she even poses like one before surgery.

4 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Ha, I sniped almost the same thing at my TV during that scene!  I was like, "Where the hell do YOU two assholes get off judging April's prom?"  And I'm not even that much of an April fan!

The "cool" kids on this show have always made fun of April for her more normal upbringing.  I think it's somewhat of a defense mechanism - they missed out on a normal childhood, so they make fun of it.

41 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

Had we ever met Harper Avery before?  I don't recall.  Seems like quite an inglorious end for a character we had heard mentioned so many times before.  

Yes, he had surgery at the hospital in an earlier season.  I can't remember what kind of surgery.  

9 hours ago, RogerDodger said:

The thing that bugs me about DeLuca and his sister is that they are not that far apart in age and they presumably grew up in the same household, the same neighborhood, listening to the same people talk  -- yet, she has such a stronger accent than he does that it is distracting.  I presume that is the actress' real accent, but seems like some kind of effort would be made to make them sound somewhat similar.

Vernoff said that there was a scene that explained their parents divorced and he and his mom went to live in North America, while sis and dad stayed put, but the scene got cut.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, readster said:

Living siblings or family members that aren't busy with work on other series or movies showing up on Grey's because they have a family member in distress or medical situation? Why would that happen, be like Meredith's other half sister who hasn't been mentioned since season 4 who apparently never want anything to do with Lexi's death or ever knowing Mer was her half sister. Or Amelia and Derek's other two sisters who we saw back in season 2, but never to be heard or shown again, who are ALSO in the medical field as nurses. Nah! Why would that happen. Just like no one has mentioned how Amelia's emotional and mind changing has been so on the dime for the last few years, but: "Don't use drugs kids, it will mess you up." No it's now: "brain tumor for 10 years." 

Derek and Amelia's mother is/was a nurse. The other sisters are doctors. An OB/GYN, a psych , and I can't remember what the other sister is.

1 hour ago, RogerDodger said:

Actually, with her "old white man" comment, Catherine managed to be racist, sexist, and ageist all in one sentence.  That's quite a trifecta for a character who no doubt considers herself to be progressive and enlightened.

Had we ever met Harper Avery before?  I don't recall.  Seems like quite an inglorious end for a character we had heard mentioned so many times before.  

I can see if Katherine called the head of the foundation "an old white man", but Harper is also her ex-father in law and grandfather to her son, so I felt she was speaking from more than a business relationship with him.  I'm sure her tongue has bled many times from biting it to not say what she's been thinking over the years. Bailey showed great restraint by not slugging him for the incompetent woman remark.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 3

I, too, wondered where Teddy was. 

Not only do I dislike DeLuca's over-the-top sister, but her nose bothers me, too! /shallow/ She needs to go ciao-ciao sooner rather than later, because she really brings nothing to Arizona's story line. Sure, it's great that Arizona has this sexy woman pursuing her - an ego boost for sure - but I'd like to see Arizona get into a more serious relationship (not that there can't be great sex as well). I don't feel as if DeLuca's sister is interested in anything but the here and now, and would drop Arizona without a second thought as soon as her study/grant ends. 

I have no interest in the Jo-Alex relationship. It's nice for their fans, but now what? Will her husband continue to part of their arc? I guess so, if she and Alex want to pursue a marriage. Regardless, I am not invested in them as a couple (I do like Alex as a physician with medical story lines, though).

Add me to those who are very relieved that the news of Amelia's tumor was handled with expediency. Everyone knows - it's going to be dealt with - and I loved her Johns Hopkins professor! It was such a relief to hear him just SHUT HER DOWN - no more operating, no more secrecy, no more anything but dealing with the situation at hand. Who knows if they'll jerk us around with the surgery itself and/or Amelia's recovery, but at least this part was done quickly and efficiently. I did chuckle at DeLuca's attempt to "tell" Maggie about it, though - using the words "ameliorate" and "shepherd" while gesturing wildly to the displayed images of Amelia's brain was lame but funny.

Meredith and Riggs - I actually like them together and would be OK if they circled back to each other. It's a triangle, despite Meredith's protestations. Megan turned down Riggs' proposal, claiming Riggs is still in love with Meredith - whether Riggs is or isn't in love with Meredith, Megan used that as the reason to say "no thanks," so the three of them are tangled up no matter how much they each say they're not! Alternatively....if Riggs and Megan do manage to get back together, there is now a child in the mix, so there's a triangle for them, too! It's one thing to pick up with Megan where they left off, but Riggs will need to love Farouk as well - not negotiable! And who's to say that Farouk will welcome Riggs so easily? The two of them are total strangers, and Farouk may even see Riggs as a competitor for Megan's love. So that's a very challenging scenario as well that both Megan and Riggs need to deal with, should they decide to reunite. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, RogerDodger said:

Actually, with her "old white man" comment, Catherine managed to be racist, sexist, and ageist all in one sentence.  That's quite a trifecta for a character who no doubt considers herself to be progressive and enlightened.

Yes, he showed up years ago when Jackson was still an intern (from Mercy West), one episode only.  IIRC, Christina made an idiot out of herself trying to impress him.

I thought that was a totally snide and nasty comment Katherine made, the only reason she strikes fear into people today is because of her name.  This man took her in after she was abandoned by his son, and obviously treated her as his own daughter.   I'm not surprised, though.  Unfortunately.

• Love 7

Still loving the lighter tone, especially compared to the last season or two. Even Amelia's tumor got a humorous approach...which was actually in keeping with the characters that started the show...but a couple of points.

We’re not even trying with Arizona’s leg are we? New showrunner...new leg!

I have been marveling at that for the last year or so. It is like they have completely forgotten it. Shouldn't the actress say something like ".... hey, you know I am supposed to have lost a leg and in fact it was a major plot point that tore apart my marriage since my wife cut it off, so maybe we could lose the high heels..."

Harper Avery was a jackass and his death was funny as hell and shocking. I’m loving how this show isn’t afraid of the “omg” moments anymore.

Grey's has ALWAYS been about the "omg moments." They have NEVER backed away from shocking things like, I don't know, cutting an LVAD wire and sticking your hand in a bomb cavity and crashing a plane and blowing up buildings, lots of buildings....

Lastly, Miranda Bailey is Chief of Surgery. That is not the same as president of the whole hospital. Why is the chief of surgery handling the re-build of the entire hospital and the other things she was blamed for by Harper Avery and then Katherine Avery.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, readster said:

Amelia and Derek's other two sisters who we saw back in season 2, but never to be heard or shown again, who are ALSO in the medical field as nurses.

All of the sibs are physicians. Nancy is an OB, and Kathleen is a shrink. Not sure about Lizzie.

When Harper was being an asshole to Katherine and Bailey, I was like, they should have let him die when he was there earlier and had to have surgery (I forget what his exact complaint was).  Then later on, when he did actually drop dead, I was like, GOOD!  I'm a horrible person  :D

I assume it was the same actor playing Harper, maybe I forgot what he looked like because it was awhile ago, or maybe because in his previous appearance, he was in a hopsital gown for much of the episode, while last night he was spiffy in suit and tie.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Blonde Gator said:

I thought that was a totally snide and nasty comment Katherine made, the only reason she strikes fear into people today is because of her name.  This man took her in after she was abandoned by his son, and obviously treated her as his own daughter.   I'm not surprised, though.  Unfortunately.

That bugged me as well.  Not that she has to go along with everything he says because of it, but it's because of him that you are wealthy and powerful.  Plus we've seen her come into the hospital so many times and expect to be revered and listened to because of her name and investment.  But when he (the actual source of the name and money) comes in to do the same, he's unreasonable.  

4 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I disagree,  Calling an old white man an "old white man" is no more racist than describing the woman who picked up the book you dropped as "a young black woman" is.   He is an old white man.  In context her statement was a direct reference to what he'd been saying to them and how he was approaching Bailey in the boardroom.  He was being condescending, rude and 100% misogynist, saying "“That’s the problem when women are in charge,” and telling Catherine to take Bailey somewhere else "so she can have her feelings" after he fired her.   By addressing Catherine and not Bailey that way, he completely dismissed and erased her as person in the room.

Catherine's comment to Bailey was an obvious reference to him being of a certain age, rich white man who has had a lot of privilege and is not used to women, especially black women, talking back at him the way Bailey did.  In fact, to me the "old white man" comment felt more like an explanation with a side serving "you know why he is the way he is" so Bailey wouldn't take what he said personally.

Really?  With Katherine Avery as his heir-apparent and daugher-in-law?  She's a biter-of-the-hand-that-feeds-her.  Totally uncalled for and IMO, inserting social justice bigotry into a show where it's not needed.  I'm done with this conversation.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, chocolatine said:

So if Amelia has had the tumor for ten years, that means she's had it the entire time she's been on the show, correct? Any chance that the tumor has been the root cause of her most annoying traits and after Greg Germann takes it out she'll become likable? Speaking of Greg Germann, I'm glad the show acknowledged that there are world-class neurosurgeons out there whose last name is not Shepherd. Phew, Amelia won't have to operate on herself after all.

I wondered this too. Has the show finally realized Amelia is horrible and they need a convenient excuse for a personality transplant? This tumor's gotta be olllldd then because she was equally terrible on Private Practice. Also, Greg Germann can stay. I forgot how much I love that guy. I especially love how easily he shuts her down. 

• Love 19
5 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

Isn't one of the other Shepherd sisters a doctor? I would much rather have them guest starring and hanging around the hospital than Andrew's horny sister. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, kinnej5 said:

I'm not surprised Amelia's mortality rate is lower than Derek's, he could get pretty abrasive.

See but didn't Derek have that trial (that literally was killing people? to find that drug thing that would help .. with something? or a technique)? Then Derek had that whole "let's do the impossible" thing with Lexi as his wingman, and that killed a lot of people too. So I don't know if it was abrasive, but he took a lot of "this is my last and only chance." cases.

I still think this is a cop out tumour. 
So if she had this tumour when she was in PP.. is this what triggered her drug relapse?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Blonde Gator said:

thought that was a totally snide and nasty comment Katherine made, the only reason she strikes fear into people today is because of her name.  This man took her in after she was abandoned by his son, and obviously treated her as his own daughter.   I'm not surprised, though.  Unfortunately.

i missed this scene (I have to go back and watch it), but i am going to imagine that Harper Avery didn't take Katherine and Jackson in solely by the goodness of his heart.  or that she was treated like his own daughter (but again i might have missed something).  Katherine has stated that she worked hard to get where she was. 

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, Lyndy said:

I wondered this too. Has the show finally realized Amelia is horrible and they need a convenient excuse for a personality transplant? This tumor's gotta be olllldd then because she was equally terrible on Private Practice. Also, Greg Germann can stay. I forgot how much I love that guy. I especially love how easily he shuts her down. 

Totally agree!  He always plays such a great pompous jerk!  As an attorney on Ally McBeal, and he was a creepy expert witness on Blue Bloods a while back.

I could totally see him in an arc similar to Peter MacNicols' as the interim head of peds when Arizona decamped for Africa.  He was hitting on April at the time.  I could definitely imagine some great story lines, with such an accomplished neurosurgeon....with a creep factor. 

• Love 2

They totally overplayed their hand with Carina. Last week, she seemed like a fun, sexy character, so of course they have to quadruple down on that and now she seems like a one-dimensional, sexual creeper - way to be subtle, writers!

I like April and I like Alex making fun of her. She's not cool. She's not twisted. She's not damaged. She's a dork. And it makes her a better character on this show.

I was pleasantly surprised by how they handled Amelia's brain tumor by not dragging it out.  Not dragging out the secret and actually playing a brain tumor for some laughs is the biggest example of how this season feels different than that last one. Best parts were Amelia making fun of Weber for his teeny tiny tumor and DeLuca throwing "ameliorate" and "shepherd" in to his fake apology to Maggie. Also, I hope Greg Germann is going to be around for awhile. Nobody plays a pompous, charming ass better than he does.

• Love 14

In wondering if by getting Jolex back together so soon and with so much maturity they plan to end them again later on in the season. Or if the husband arrival will be their big storyline.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Are they setting up Riggs & Megan to be a thing?  And possibly Henderson leaving the show?  Granted I never thought Meredith and Riggs had any real chemistry, but their conversation made it sound like they were giving the death knell to their relationship but didn't feel too torn up about it.  Or is Megan staying?  I know the actress is also on Timeless, but then that got cancelled and then uncancelled.  IIRC.

That last conversation between Riggs and Mere sounded to me like --- Mere was telling him to try harder with whatshername (Owen's sister -- doesn't seem worth bothering to learn her name) but Riggs was taking it to mean try harder with Mere. Like he has realized that the "great love" he had with whatshername wasn't so great. Years of separation sort of fizzled it out for both of them. Plus whatshername is heading back to... the land of hostages.

Anyway. Time will tell if I'm right. And Riggs has grown on me as a character and I want Mere to be happy.

Kind of like I want Alex to be happy -- even if it has to be with that annoying one -- Jo. Ugh. The kissing in the elevator. make it stop! but Alex looked happy so I'll accept his choice--- until she leaves him/dumps him/ whatever tragic thing is gonna happen. Cuz you know! This is Alex. Like Mere -- they both must suffer.

So Amelia's whole crazy unlikable schtick is going to be blamed on a a tumor? okaaaaay. Sure.

• Love 2

While everyone rags on the Italian orgasm specialist, Kathryn Avery, Harper Avery, and Amelia, can we please pick on Maggie...dear sweet,, totally self-absorbed Maggie, who couldn't even see the "Shepard, A" on the big screen that Owen saw within about 4 seconds after he walked into the room. "You're right, you do owe me an apology...thanks" while DeLuca points at the tumor, the name, the boards, drops every hint possible, but could not get through to clueless/self-abosorbed Maggie!

• Love 14
5 hours ago, AriAu said:

Lastly, Miranda Bailey is Chief of Surgery. That is not the same as president of the whole hospital. Why is the chief of surgery handling the re-build of the entire hospital and the other things she was blamed for by Harper Avery and then Katherine Avery.

Grey's has never really bothered with the difference.  Back in the first few seasons we occasionally saw/heard about the head of the hospital, but then Richard was in charge of the nurses and the generators and the merger, etc., so realism was left behind on this point at least a decade ago.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, AriAu said:

While everyone rags on the Italian orgasm specialist, Kathryn Avery, Harper Avery, and Amelia, can we please pick on Maggie...dear sweet,, totally self-absorbed Maggie, who couldn't even see the "Shepard, A" on the big screen that Owen saw within about 4 seconds after he walked into the room. "You're right, you do owe me an apology...thanks" while DeLuca points at the tumor, the name, the boards, drops every hint possible, but could not get through to clueless/self-abosorbed Maggie!

It’s par for the course with her...I might have understood it though cause i can be obtuse but I was only half listening and when he said “ameliarate” I snapped my head up and went “huh?” lol. So yeah, she just really wasn’t even thinking outside of whatever deluca did to her...and can someone refresh my memory...what did he do to her? I remember him freaking out cause she went from 0-100 when all he asked was they stopped sneaking around and next thing you know she’s making awkward introductions to their co workers.

15 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

Could someone fill in what he said? I'm really slipping tonight with not catching stuff.

He said "I'm glad he died." Then jumped to finish "doing what he loved" or some such.

So, no more recaps?  Sadface.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, moonorchid said:

what did he do to her?

I think she wanted to keep the relationship on the DL and he asked her to go public and properly invest in them. She did that (albeit in the standard irritating over the top Maggie way) and he got freaked out and dropped her. I don't like Maggie but it was kinda harsh so if he hadn't apologised to her already then it was overdue.

I thought the scene was quite funny and reminded me that I didn't hate Maggie as much when she was with DeLuca.

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, moonorchid said:

It’s par for the course with her...I might have understood it though cause i can be obtuse but I was only half listening and when he said “ameliarate” I snapped my head up and went “huh?” lol. So yeah, she just really wasn’t even thinking outside of whatever deluca did to her...and can someone refresh my memory...what did he do to her? I remember him freaking out cause she went from 0-100 when all he asked was they stopped sneaking around and next thing you know she’s making awkward introductions to their co workers.

The deal was.....Amelia told Andrew to mind his own business and remember Hippa (sp?....patient confidentiality laws), so his "apology" to Maggie was a set-up for a big "oops" moment, but as prior commenters have noted, she's so bloody into herself in a fourteen-year-old type of way that she couldn't see the forest for the trees (her own self-absorbtion).  There were 45 pictures of the brain tumor all around the room, DeLuca was waving his hand at the "Shepard, A." on the corner of the big scan behind him, etc.  But no, it's all about her.  I wish they'd grow her character up, it's silly to have her act so juvenile when she's the Cardio Dept. Head.

• Love 5

I actually enjoyed that episode more than I thought I would.  I think Vernoff is smart in trying to recapture the old Grey's feel.  I particularly liked the scenes with DeLuca trying to "tell" Maggie about Amelia and Jackson, Catherine, and Bailey telling the staff about Avery's death.  I do hope that this episode has put an end to the attempts to pair up Meredith and Nathan.  I think they handled it well here, but I have a fear that Nathan will take Meredith's speech about how he needs to woo Megan back as he needs to woo Meredith back and that needs to not happen.

I have to admit that I cried in the scene with Maggie and Amelia.  I never thought that those two would be the characters who would bring me to tears.

What I didn't like: Karina.  The character just doesn't work for me on any level and her relationship with Arizona (like all of Arizona's relationships except Callie) just seems contrived.  I really don't like her "style" shall we say.  She's not wrong about, ahem, stimulation during labor (and why did Arizona--or any of the other doctors--not know this?  It was mentioned in every single pregnancy book I read....), but everything she says and does is sort of dripping with suggestion which is a) not appropriate b) not realistic c) not palatable.   I kept thinking that if a man were behaving in the same way she was behaving towards Arizona, there would be an uproar from all corners.

I think they're actually handling Amelia's tumor well, but I get this feeling that this is all just a convenient way to give a character, who many viewers don't like, a personality transplant.  I  mean, it would work better than some personality transplants I've seen on television, but I still find it annoying.

On 10/5/2017 at 6:23 PM, Ohwell said:

I'm sick of DeLuca's horny ass sister.  He, however, is getting hotter and hotter.  

Truer words have never been spoken.

Edited by Morksmate
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Daisy said:

i missed this scene (I have to go back and watch it), but i am going to imagine that Harper Avery didn't take Katherine and Jackson in solely by the goodness of his heart.  or that she was treated like his own daughter (but again i might have missed something).  Katherine has stated that she worked hard to get where she was. 

I had no problem at all with what she said. It was two black women keeping it real and I have no doubt that dealing with Harper Avery over the years was not easy. That is why Katherine is so tough. And you know she had to earn just about everything.

I also thought it was weird that they didn't reach out to Ameilia's family and wondered where the hot air balloon boy's parents were, as well.

Since I loathe Jo I am not happy that she and Alex are reunited. Also, has he gained a lot of weight?

• Love 8
15 hours ago, NeverLate said:

Are we going to have to talk orgasms every episode. We get it! Non stop sexy Grey's is not a turn on, all this for Arizona, Meh.

I love Mars therapist, and just wish sexy Riggs would tell Met, he loved her, and only her.

Amelia's tumour, looking at her, you could tell, if she could operate on herself, she would! Girl is feisty, she'll pull through.

I think that's coming. Seemed to me he wasn't all that into whnatshername anymore. The spark done died years ago. But he seemed to perk up when Mere told him to keep trying -- Mere meant with whatshername but Riggs looked like he was thinking of Mere.

I wish Meredith would tell Nathan like a mature adult, instead of dragging him around, saying "do this, no don't do this, do that." and all sorts of ridiculous shit that only a sixteen year old would do. I've never been a Meredith/Nathan shipper or even remotely liked them until the final episode of last season. I always thought Nathan was predatory in his pursuits of Meredith, which is why I was completely thrown off in the finale of season 13. Now, I want them together, and I hope Nathan realizes it soon that Meredith is trying to get him back but can't say it like the grown ass adult she is.

Yep, Maggie is still self-absorbed. Anyone could see through Andrew's corny, lame-ass fake apology. But nope, Maggie is still hung up on their relationship and so self-absorbed like a sixteen year old. I miss the Maggie from last week's second episode, where she was actually an adult having an actual conversation with people, in this case: her father. And, speaking of which, what was up with fixing Jackson's collar in front of all those people. Wasn't Catherine there, and doesn't she just love April to bits?

Re recaps: I guess there are no more. These were the major reason I signed up on PTV, since TWoP is no more and all that.

Next week's episode: Can someone tell me what the trailer said? Thank you.

Edited by kinnej5

Carina can leave immediately. So can Amelia and then Greg Germann can stay. He was awesome.

Jo and Alex moving back in together feels rushed. So they sleep together and everything is all rosy again?

Loved Deluca and Mere. I'm also okay with Riggs leaving as well.

• Love 1

I'm glad Amelia's tumor isn't being kept a secret for half a season. Other than Greg Germann, the only thing that piques my interest is if Amelia will get a personality transplant after it's removed.

I thought Jo's homecoming sign was cute, but as an Alex fan, I wish they would take a little time and effort into putting them back together. 

I like Arizona, but I don't like Carina, and I wish they would take time getting her into relationships.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, kinnej5 said:

Yep, Maggie is still self-absorbed. Anyone could see through Andrew's corny, lame-ass fake apology. But nope, Maggie is still hung up on their relationship and so self-absorbed like a sixteen year old.

I dunno.  I wonder if this is more a case of the audience knowing what he was doing and the camera work clearly lingering on stuff where so we copped to is much quicker.  But IRL, If someone brings up a subject that arrests your attention, in this case it was their old relationship out of the blue, I would think your attention would be wholly focused on them and not your surroundings.  In her case, Maggie just seemed truly puzzled why he would be bringing that up now all of sudden after practically ignoring her for a year.  It makes sense she'd be more focused on that than in the scans on the wall which unless they pertain to a case she is working on is just white background noise after awhile. Also 90% of the time these folks use hospital spaces to talk about sexy personal business so why not this time too?   So I do cut her some slack. 

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 9

I laughed so hard when Jackson and his Mother where talking to the stuff about Avery grandpa death...

I really liked Meredith talking with her shrink. It reminded me of season four/five when she was dealing with her past and also visiting a shrink. She used to appear suddenly with some explanations of her own too which caused some funny moments. ;)

And I knew it was too good to be true that Bailey would be fired... I used to like her character but she became soooo annoying. And I hate her being a chief. Please someone fire her again!

And I sure hope the new neuro doctor would stay. I like him already.

Edited by lorbeer
  • Love 4

I know this is Grey's, the land of the inappropriate workplace behaviour, but Carina seriously needs to tone it down. I'm about as sex-positive as they come, but learn some boundaries. You don't tell your partner's co-workers about the sex you had last night. You don't stick your hands down her pants (I assume that's what we're supposed to infer was happening there) right in the middle of a hallway at work. I appreciate that they have way better chemistry than Arizona and Minnick, but come on.

I wanted to smack April. It's fine to have all the stars in your eyes about the magic of homecoming and all that, but her speech to the girl was, frankly, gross. The idea that, just because a guy makes a grand gesture, you owe him something? Has this not been a major topic of discussion, writings, etc. for years at this point? For a woman to push that crap on another woman is seriously just plain gross. I would much rather have seen it reversed: the girl feeling like she should say yes, and April telling her to go with her actual feelings and not be swayed by the grand gesture. I think we were supposed to understand that the girl actually did want to go with hot air balloon guy, but was feeling social pressure to go with someone cooler, but that doesn't make April's speech any less ooky.

As for Jo and Alex, I think the only way to accept anything about them is to pretend that basically everything between Alex coming home and finding her with DeLuca and this season never happened. We can pretend that that happened, and maybe they had a bit of a falling out, but no one got beaten up, and at some point, presumably her marriage had to have come out as well, but that's it. If you will yourself to forget the rest of it, their reconciliation and continued relationship can work. And because it was actually one of my favourites for a long time (largely because of their relative lack of drama and their ability to actually talk to each other about things that were bothering them), I'm going to do just that. We'll see how it goes.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, kingshearte said:

I wanted to smack April. It's fine to have all the stars in your eyes about the magic of homecoming and all that, but her speech to the girl was, frankly, gross. The idea that, just because a guy makes a grand gesture, you owe him something? Has this not been a major topic of discussion, writings, etc. for years at this point? For a woman to push that crap on another woman is seriously just plain gross. I would much rather have seen it reversed: the girl feeling like she should say yes, and April telling her to go with her actual feelings and not be swayed by the grand gesture. I think we were supposed to understand that the girl actually did want to go with hot air balloon guy, but was feeling social pressure to go with someone cooler, but that doesn't make April's speech any less ooky.

I really didn’t interpret her advice this way. I took it as her saying if you want to say yes you should and not say no *only* cause popular boys who didnt give you the time of day before are now noticing you because of what this boys “HOCOPRO”

and to take it a little deeper with her telling her about Matthews proposal, makes me wonder if she’s second guessing her choices in life. 

• Love 9
22 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Ugh any episodes where Amelia takes centre stage is a turn off for me. The character alone is awfully written but Scorscones portrayal makes it worse.

For me Amelia is hot, I'm in love with her

• Love 1
1 hour ago, moonorchid said:

and to take it a little deeper with her telling her about Matthews proposal, makes me wonder if she’s second guessing her choices in life. 

And making me wonder if we will see Matthew again. He hasn't been mentioned in years.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

And making me wonder if we will see Matthew again. He hasn't been mentioned in years.

I think he’s just an Easter egg mention, something of April’s past that she would totally bring up considering the situation. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm not really sure why I started watching again this season. But here I am, sitting through this show when I thought I got away for good.

I'm pretty sure Arizona was getting turned on again, judging by her clenching hands. Yeah, DeLuca's sister is very inappropriate and unprofessional. I'm not sure how long they can go the sexual route with her; it's already starting to get old and tired. 

So, I never watched Private Practice but binged through all of Amelia's episodes on that show. So, she's had this tumour growing since before she started on that show? Not that I see a huge change between then and now (though I missed the last four full seasons anyway) but wouldn't it have been a little more effective, TV story-telling wise, if she had a five year growing tumour or something? Because her having a tumour since we met her isn't very compelling since there's nothing to compare it to. 

Riggs...seems like a baby. Huh. I'm not really sure if he still likes Megan or not. And Meredith is telling him to be with Megan, even though he confessed his feelings for her? I felt like NOTHING got resolved in that conversation. 

I rolled my eyes at April's storyline. I pretty much hated her in the seasons I watched and it looks like nothing much has changed. No, April, this girl doesn't need to say yes to a boy because he made a romantic gesture. Didn't April leave her last fiance for Jackson, anyway? I've read up over the years on what I missed, even if I didn't watch.

So...I guess Harper Avery dying was just a ha-ha moment? I did laugh at Jackson's slip of the tongue during the eulogy. 

All in all...why am I watching this season? Should I even bother to watch the seasons I've missed? I don't even know. 

I agree about Amelia having the tumor for too long. It would have made more sense to say the tumor was the push that got her to move to Seattle. I remember thinking how off it was that they  gave Amelia a happy ending on Private Practice where she fell in love with some guy, and then just undid it all to get her on Grey's. But saying it is ten years old means she gets to blame her drug use on the tumor.

April did leave her last fiance for Jackson. That's why I thought it was a terrible story to tell the girl when trying to make her point. Based on April's experience, she should be telling the girl, don't feel you have to say yes just because he did something romantic, it will cause more pain at the end, etc.

13 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I was actually thinking it would be nice if they could get Addison to show up to support Amelia, because they were really close back on Private Practice. I don't know if Kate Walsh would be willing, but it would be nice. But, yes, her family would make more sense. 

11 hours ago, Scatterbrained said:

Vernoff said that there was a scene that explained their parents divorced and he and his mom went to live in North America, while sis and dad stayed put, but the scene got cut.

That's kind of an important scene, isn't it?

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

But saying it is ten years old means she gets to blame her drug use on the tumor

Well, luckily, they don't actually have to blame the initial drug use on the tumor, only the drug relapse. She did drugs as a teenager and then got sober for years before she made her first appearance on Private Practice. And, if I did the math correctly, she would have gotten her tumor about two years before that. 

1 hour ago, moonorchid said:

I really didn’t interpret her advice this way. I took it as her saying if you want to say yes you should and not say no *only* cause popular boys who didnt give you the time of day before are now noticing you because of what this boys “HOCOPRO”

I wish I read it that way. But she worded it very badly. Her message, in my interpretation, that this boy did something very romantic and she should be grateful since he went through all of this effort, and is now in the hospital because of it, for her. I think, if the point April was trying to make is that she shouldn't be choosing other guys just because and that she should trust her initial gut on saying yes, they needed to play the scene differently, more serious and with better dialogue, instead of how they wrote it. The girl didn't seem interested to me in any way. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Haven't any of these people seen Friends? That's how Rachel finally started labor!  And Ben, being an anesthesiologist, should have known about natural hormones.

It was yet another case of Grey's "let's dumb down our doctors to prop the new character" with a dash of "orgasm talk is funny and sexy!!".  Fail. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I wish I read it that way. But she worded it very badly. Her message, in my interpretation, that this boy did something very romantic and she should be grateful since he went through all of this effort, and is now in the hospital because of it, for her. I think, if the point April was trying to make is that she shouldn't be choosing other guys just because and that she should trust her initial gut on saying yes, they needed to play the scene differently, more serious and with better dialogue, instead of how they wrote it. The girl didn't seem interested to me in any way. 

I rewatched the scene and I can see the ambiguity between what you and I interpret. It’s not a well written scene on second watch. 

I think it’s prob more of an insight into where April’s head is at concerning her past decisions. 

Edited by moonorchid
  • Love 1