Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E03: Go Big or Go Home

• Start Topic

I don't remember this psychiatrist at all. Amy Madigan and James Tupper-I remember.

Arizona walking around in leggings and heels? Yeah, she miraculously grew her leg back.

I did enjoy the " eulogy" on the stairs. I see there's no love between Harper Avery and his son.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 9

I really enjoyed the surprises in this episode.

The whole Amelia thing went 180 degrees from where I thought it would.  Great stuff.  And I'm more in love with sweet DeLuca than ever before.  I hope he gets more stories this year.  Not yet sure about DeLuca's sister, but she surely has more chemistry with Arizona than icky Eliza Minnick ever did.

Jo & Alex, also was pleasing.

I'm still no fan of Katherine Avery, she's a mean old woman, spiteful.  And a bit of a racist, too.  I said that, yes I did.

Meredith seems to be back on a somewhat even keel, which is quirky, and totally Meredith.

On the whole, I am quite pleased that the show runners have delivered a watchable product this year.  It's heads and shoulders above last year's heavy handed bunch of dreck.

• Love 11
Just now, chitowngirl said:

Him either, but I meant the son. When Jackson reminded Harper that he was divorced, Harper spat out, "Like father, like son".

I know, that's why I edited above.

DeLuca's horny sister can get off any time, and I don't mean in the way she'd like to get off.

I'll never get back the 11 minutes I suffered through Scandal to see the Grey's teaser, which was less revealing than usual.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

I know, that's why I edited above.

DeLuca's horny sister can get off any time, and I don't mean in the way she'd like to get off.

I'll never get back the 11 minutes I suffered through Scandal to see the Grey's teaser, which was less revealing than usual.

Thanks for that info.  I just tuned into the VCR description for next week's episode.  That's such a sleazy trick to pull. 

I would babble why I didn't see the trailer (not that it would have mattered since no closed captions) but I won't. That's a whole separate channel and show I was watching.

Anyways... Grey's Anatomy!

I'm with you guys on Andrew's sister. She's thinking about sex 24/7 and please correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm positive I'm not... wasn't that sexual harassment when she was talking to Arizona? I mean, she didn't explicitly say the word no or show resistance, but she did look uncomfortable...?

Caterina totally killed tonight's episode and I'm really curious as to how she will be when the tumor is out. IF she's had it ten years, this means she already had it when she first showed up at St Ambrose on Private Practice in 2010. I kind of wish they didn't do that, but I like that she was stressing out about all the patient she supposedly screwed up over the years. I'm not surprised Amelia's mortality rate is lower than Derek's, he could get pretty abrasive.

I'm actually with Catherine, I don't thin she's racist per se, just that she feels frustrated with Harper Avery's lack of understanding as what it's like to be a black woman. He was kind of an ass to Jackson too, but he still was his grandson. I see he disowned his son as well, but remained close to Catherine over the years.

I don't remember that psychiatrist in this episode, I only remember the woman Meredith was seeing back in season 3 after she tried to drown herself. This must have been after Derek's death, but didn't she skip town for nine months after he died? She seemed to be fine when she returned to Seattle.

• Love 4

I really liked this episode.  People talked to each other, information was passed along, communication was happening!  I thought all the dynamics were great.

Hooray for Amelia's Professor Surgeon for being no nonsense and not letting her get away with minimizing what this tumor means.

• Like 1
  • Love 21

Are they setting up Riggs & Megan to be a thing?  And possibly Henderson leaving the show?  Granted I never thought Meredith and Riggs had any real chemistry, but their conversation made it sound like they were giving the death knell to their relationship but didn't feel too torn up about it.  Or is Megan staying?  I know the actress is also on Timeless, but then that got cancelled and then uncancelled.  IIRC.

I am actually liking Amelia.  And Owen.  Apart. He has a great rapport with his sister and their scenes feel like they could be siblings.  Goes to show how bad romantic chemistry can affect characters.

Really don't care about Jo and Alex one way or the other.  But glad for their fans that they are getting some traction.

I know the show is going for a lighter tone, but I thought Catherine at least would show a little grief over Conrad.  I thought she held him in some affection?

37 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I don't remember this psychiatrist at all. Amy Madigan and James Tupper-I remember.

He was her therapist she went to in Season 12 after the patient beat her up.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, izabella said:

I really liked this episode.  People talked to each other, information was passed along, communication was happening!  I thought all the dynamics were great.

Hooray for Amelia's Professor Surgeon for being no nonsense and not letting her get away with minimizing what this tumor means.

Yes she was acting just because it was "Benign", let me tell you my DD has several "Benign" tumors and we live in a world where we know lots of kids with "benign" brain tumors and they all have issues--some more then others but the brain is valuable real-estate and something that big would cause Major issues in real life

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

Her discussing Arizona's turn ons in front of Webber was tasteless.  DeLuca can certainly stay, but his sister can exit stage left now.  Also, does this mean Minnick is gone for good?

Pleasantly surprised that the therapist didn't die.

Jackson's slip of the tongue during the eulogy was hilarious.

Although I call BS on this tumor altering Amelia's personality for so long, I'm just glad that Owen knows and there's no more secrets.

Megan can leave, she's just irritating and adds nothing.  And she can take Riggs with her.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Also, does this mean Minnick is gone for good?

I'd say yes since she miraculously packed up her apartment, got out of a lease, and hired movers to move her - someplace - in a day or two. 

• Love 3

I keep the captions on, and they often don't help due to the fast speeches.

What did Meredith say after she said she met her husband in a triangle, and before she said she was done with triangles? Then the shrink said something -- what was it?

45 minutes ago, kinnej5 said:

I'm with you guys on Andrew's sister. She's thinking about sex 24/7 and please correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm positive I'm not... wasn't that sexual harassment when she was talking to Arizona? I mean, she didn't explicitly say the word no or show resistance, but she did look uncomfortable...?

Yes, she did look uncomfortable, and they seemed to linger on that look. Perhaps they will go somewhere with that. I hope so.

I am disappointed that Harper Avery died. And the way it was handled was almost cartoonish.

• Love 6

No. Harper Avery's death to "save" Bailey was too much. The show will do just about anything to keep her from actually being held accountable.

Who cares? Amelia will be fine because Grey's won't kill off her annoying self. 

Hate, hate, hate DeLuca's sister.

And I totally get Maggie's tears about Amelia. When someone you love has an operation and dies, you get scared for the next person who needs an operation. Yes, different type of disease, but that fear is still there.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, kdm07 said:

Another solid episode. That scene between Maggie & Amelia when she tells Maggie about the tumour was the highlight.

It was a nice scene but that scene combined with the fact that Amelia didn't want to tell Meredith for fear of the "I told you so" highlighted the closeness of the Maggie/Amelia relationship and the distinct lack of closeness in the Meredith/Amelia relationship

• Love 11
1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

It was a nice scene but that scene combined with the fact that Amelia didn't want to tell Meredith for fear of the "I told you so" highlighted the closeness of the Maggie/Amelia relationship and the distinct lack of closeness in the Meredith/Amelia relationship

I’ve felt for the last season or two that the real sister relationship was Maggie and Amelia. 

Meredith puts up with Amelia and it’s obvious and she kind of dotes on Maggie like a baby. But for both she’s acted like she *had* to act this way cause that is how a sister acts. Like how Derek would want her to act.

Edited by moonorchid
  • Love 9

The last ten minutes of the show were better than the rest of it. I'm just glad that everyone knows about Amelia's tumor and that it didn't take more than one episode. 

I liked the scenes with Amelia and Richard and the comparing of tumors. I wonder if the same professor that taught Amelia also taught/worked with Derek. 

• Love 11

So if Amelia has had the tumor for ten years, that means she's had it the entire time she's been on the show, correct? Any chance that the tumor has been the root cause of her most annoying traits and after Greg Germann takes it out she'll become likable? Speaking of Greg Germann, I'm glad the show acknowledged that there are world-class neurosurgeons out there whose last name is not Shepherd. Phew, Amelia won't have to operate on herself after all.

When Riggs was packing his bag, I was hoping he'd go to Iraq to take care of Farouk so that Megan can have peace of mind while she recovers. Because if Megan is truly the love of his life, that would be the best way to prove it to her. But no, he's just butthurt that two women rejected him.

• Love 23

I thought Arizona looked like she was getting turned on again, but hopefully not. I deleted it, so I can't go back and check. The sister is annoying, and that is totally unprofessional at work. Not that this is the best show re: professionalism. 

It was Izzy 2.0 at the end, but it was nice to see Meredith come in, and get on the bed to comfort Amelia. Although I thought that wasn't allowed. When my mum was in the hospital, dad tried that the first day, and alarms went off. Every little thing was monitored. 

• Love 3

I'm not really sure why I started watching again this season. But here I am, sitting through this show when I thought I got away for good.

I'm pretty sure Arizona was getting turned on again, judging by her clenching hands. Yeah, DeLuca's sister is very inappropriate and unprofessional. I'm not sure how long they can go the sexual route with her; it's already starting to get old and tired. 

So, I never watched Private Practice but binged through all of Amelia's episodes on that show. So, she's had this tumour growing since before she started on that show? Not that I see a huge change between then and now (though I missed the last four full seasons anyway) but wouldn't it have been a little more effective, TV story-telling wise, if she had a five year growing tumour or something? Because her having a tumour since we met her isn't very compelling since there's nothing to compare it to. 

Riggs...seems like a baby. Huh. I'm not really sure if he still likes Megan or not. And Meredith is telling him to be with Megan, even though he confessed his feelings for her? I felt like NOTHING got resolved in that conversation. 

I rolled my eyes at April's storyline. I pretty much hated her in the seasons I watched and it looks like nothing much has changed. No, April, this girl doesn't need to say yes to a boy because he made a romantic gesture. Didn't April leave her last fiance for Jackson, anyway? I've read up over the years on what I missed, even if I didn't watch.

So...I guess Harper Avery dying was just a ha-ha moment? I did laugh at Jackson's slip of the tongue during the eulogy. 

All in all...why am I watching this season? Should I even bother to watch the seasons I've missed? I don't even know. 

• Love 4

Thank you at @Anela because I was reading through this wondering if anyone else saw the callbacks to Izzy, thankfully ghost free. But that scene was clearly filmed in a way to make it mirror that. 

Im dissapointed the therapist was the person from the past. And I agree with people's thoughts on the closeness of Amelia and Maggie. 

No comment on the whole Meredith, Riggs, Megan thing. There is no good option it's just sucky drama where someone will lose 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

The thing that bugs me about DeLuca and his sister is that they are not that far apart in age and they presumably grew up in the same household, the same neighborhood, listening to the same people talk  -- yet, she has such a stronger accent than he does that it is distracting.  I presume that is the actress' real accent, but seems like some kind of effort would be made to make them sound somewhat similar.

Krista mentions this on twitter, a scene that didn’t make the cut explains that Andrew came to the US with mom and carina stayed in Italy with dad.

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I liked the scenes with Amelia and Richard and the comparing of tumors.

Oh i got a real chuckle out of that scene.  Amelia ragging on Richard's microscopic tumor compared to her ginormous one was funny.  I especially liked her line where she says something like his tumor is so small she could've removed his while other doctor was operating on hers.

• Love 18
31 minutes ago, emcmac87 said:

Thank you at @Anela because I was reading through this wondering if anyone else saw the callbacks to Izzy, thankfully ghost free. But that scene was clearly filmed in a way to make it mirror that. 

Im dissapointed the therapist was the person from the past. And I agree with people's thoughts on the closeness of Amelia and Maggie. 

No comment on the whole Meredith, Riggs, Megan thing. There is no good option it's just sucky drama where someone will lose 

I hope it was a callback but a part of me thinks it wasn’t meant to be one. I don’t think they want us to think it was, because this story is legit giving me Izzie all over again.

im just eh still. Underwhelmed. 

• Love 3

I ROARED with laughter when Germann's character revealed Amelia had the tumor affecting her judgment for TEN years: covering the entire duration of her existence in Shondaland. Finally, an explanation! (Do Owen, Catherine, and Maggie have it, too?)

Much more to enjoy here than not. Good work, 14-year-old show. 

• Love 17

the writers better have Amelias tumor removed and not kill off her character or I will once again be super pissed at Shonda. If the actress wants to leave the show and I don't know if she does, they can find another way for Amelia to leave, too much death on this show as it is.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, jschoolgirl said:

What did Meredith say after she said she met her husband in a triangle, and before she said she was done with triangles? Then the shrink said something -- what was it?

Mer: "Because she was confused. I don't do love triangles. I was raised in one. I fell in love with my husband in one. I am done with triangles. All I did was to take your advice to embrace not being alone."

Dr. Carr: "So the triangle's my fault?"

Mer: "Yes. Except there is no triangle."

• Love 1

Are we going to have to talk orgasms every episode. We get it! Non stop sexy Grey's is not a turn on, all this for Arizona, Meh.

I love Mars therapist, and just wish sexy Riggs would tell Met, he loved her, and only her.

Amelia's tumour, looking at her, you could tell, if she could operate on herself, she would! Girl is feisty, she'll pull through.

Edited by NeverLate
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Anela said:

It was Izzy 2.0 at the end, but it was nice to see Meredith come in, and get on the bed to comfort Amelia. Although I thought that wasn't allowed. When my mum was in the hospital, dad tried that the first day, and alarms went off. Every little thing was monitored. 

It depends on the settings they've activated on the bed - in terms of fall risk (in which case an alarm usually goes off when someone else gets on, weirdly, in addition to when the patient gets up), if the mattress is one that auto-adjusts inflation to prevent pressure sores, etc. No reason those settings would be on for Amelia at this point (or necessarily plenty of real-life patients, but I think they default to turning alarms on with unknown/new patients a lot in real life even if they aren't a specific fall risk - they want to know if someone's getting up without assistance, etc), but they'd all also easily have turned the annoying bed settings off anyway.

(Though as someone who spends a bit too much real life time in hospitals, I'm thrilled to NOT have the bed alarms, IV pump beeps (upstream occlusion, drip finished, etc), etc be realistic on these shows!)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, moonorchid said:

Krista mentions this on twitter, a scene that didn’t make the cut explains that Andrew came to the US with mom and carina stayed in Italy with dad.

Would it be awful, if I asked her to go back! 

• Love 9

Did you see thst eye contact between jackson and Maggie? 

The heat! The chemistry! The joy! Jaggie will bring the joy back to greys anatomy people, cause this is what I was worried about with them :\

so once again we’ll see April be sad while Jackson moves on quite nicely, this just goes to show Krista has zero interest in japril, that Jackson really was very casual about their hook up in Montana, and that is something I’m struggling to accept but I’m trying to get there. 

Because other than japril and jaggie I’m really loving this season already.

characters that pissed me off for two years now I’m finding I enjoy!

Deluca is a gem that this show is lucky to have.

Amelia was Amelia without being the weird aggressive person she usually is.

Meredith was Meredith thst I remember but the grown version. I liked that she was talking to her old therapist.

Harper Avery was a jackass and his death was funny as hell and shocking. I’m loving how this show isn’t afraid of the “omg” moments anymore. Jackson cracked my ass up at his little eulogy, hahaha. It’s sad that he had such a poor relationship to what was prob the one male relationship he had Growing up but it is what it is. 

We’re not even trying with Arizona’s leg are we? New showrunner...new leg!

carina is gonna grate soon.

I didn’t get why jo and Alex are ragging on April just for existing. Like either of those a-holes are in any position to judge her. So what if she had a boring nice prom date. Literally...so what? 

Im sure april is in a very introspective place right now, evaluating all her choices. Maybe she regrets leaving Matt knowing how it all ended. Maybe she just appreciates who he was and wants to appreciate it more if she ever gets someone like that again. 

Im glad Amelia’s tumor is not becoming this long drawn out thing. Her scene with Maggie was prob the highlight for me this episode. Amelia knows Owen and Meredith are going to be the hardest to tell, but it was a little sad that it’s hard concerning Meredith cause she genuinely thinks Meredith is gonna be a bitch about it. But the Meredith that climbed into bed with her...thst was genuine.

might I say too I’m loving this no bullshit Meredith when it comes to Nathan. Stop trashing your gift Nathan! 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, kinnej5 said:

I don't remember that psychiatrist in this episode, I only remember the woman Meredith was seeing back in season 3 after she tried to drown herself. This must have been after Derek's death, but didn't she skip town for nine months after he died? She seemed to be fine when she returned to Seattle.

No it was after she was attacked by that patient. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, WalrusGirl said:

It depends on the settings they've activated on the bed - in terms of fall risk (in which case an alarm usually goes off when someone else gets on, weirdly, in addition to when the patient gets up), if the mattress is one that auto-adjusts inflation to prevent pressure sores, etc. No reason those settings would be on for Amelia at this point (or necessarily plenty of real-life patients, but I think they default to turning alarms on with unknown/new patients a lot in real life even if they aren't a specific fall risk - they want to know if someone's getting up without assistance, etc), but they'd all also easily have turned the annoying bed settings off anyway.

(Though as someone who spends a bit too much real life time in hospitals, I'm thrilled to NOT have the bed alarms, IV pump beeps (upstream occlusion, drip finished, etc), etc be realistic on these shows!)

I"m glad you said all of that! I was sitting here trying to figure out how to explain all the various alarm variables.  It is not fun knowing the ins and outs of that.  Me and mine are well for now, I hope the same for you and yours.

To the episode, the changes made in the offseason are really showing up on the screen in these first couple of episodes.  While I liked parts of last season, it was unmemorable and I thought they lost the plot, if you will.  This season seems much better so far.

And, back to Meredith getting in bed with Amelia (and not setting off alarms), the voice over was going on and the part that stuck with me was something/something "we gather the team"....that is something this show does well, albeit somewhat too often....is gathering the team.  Maybe why that is why I still like it after all of these years....Thursdays with my "team".  I used to be a completionist when it came to series I've watched for years, gave that right up after the finale for HIMYM and dumped a lot of shows.  For whatever reason, I just don't see me dumping this one.   They are my team for an hour on Thursdays for better (please) or worse (there were times around season 10ish, I'm not sure I'd say the same). 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I hope it was a callback but a part of me thinks it wasn’t meant to be one. I don’t think they want us to think it was, because this story is legit giving me Izzie all over again.

I'm OK with that, maybe, if it's Alex that gets hit by a bus. *evil grin*

2 hours ago, WalrusGirl said:

I know what you mean, but I kind of wish I'd got to hear a bit more if that, because mum died a month later. She was in the heart ward, and needed multiple surgeries. Didn't get to have the last one (aneurysm). I just remember being afraid to touch anything aside from the bars on her bed. 

57 minutes ago, Gladrags said:

I'm OK with that, maybe, if it's Alex that gets hit by a bus. *evil grin*

Haha! 

I wondered where Teddy was, unless I missed a quick appearance. I thought she was back for more than two episodes. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, moonorchid said:

I didn’t get why jo and Alex are ragging on April just for existing. Like either of those a-holes are in any position to judge her. So what if she had a boring nice prom date. Literally...so what? 

Ha, I sniped almost the same thing at my TV during that scene!  I was like, "Where the hell do YOU two assholes get off judging April's prom?"  And I'm not even that much of an April fan!

Chandra Wilson's look to Catherine after Harper Avery's "all the womens suck" speech was purrrrrfection, as was Giacomo Gianniotti's mortified look when Carina was talking about natural cervix expanders or whatever.

And I am genuinely impressed that it took all of one episode for Amelia to tell the three most important people in her life about her tumor.  Keep it up, writers.

• Love 7