Type keyword(s) to search

Ink Master: Angels - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 10/11/2017 at 3:24 PM, Diane Mars said:

I read that yesterday evening... That also probably explains why "Tattoo Nightmares Miami" had beeen cancelled. Really sad. I liked him a lot :'(

Didn’t Clint talk smack about TJ in Season 2 of Ink Master for leaving due to not wanting to risk aggravating a back injury that he incurred from military service? If so, then there is a bit of irony.

Edited by MuMuGuy
17 hours ago, MuMuGuy said:

Didn’t Clint talk smack about TJ in Season 2 of Ink Master for leaving due to not wanting to risk aggravating a back injury that he incurred from military service? If so, then there is a bit of irony.

I'm not seeing the irony....

• Love 2

Kelly needs to dial back the exaggerated calls, because she's way too loud and obnoxious when she calls for time. As far as the tattoos, I actually agree with the first two rounds. High Noon's butt tattoo was awful and I wonder if he was saying the girl had an explosive booty. 

I'm probably gonna stop watching this Angels spin-off. I find it exceedingly unlikely that they're going to give out more than two spots to people through this show. They can't have IM:A winners "fight for their spot" in the shop when Season 10 starts since they already earned their spots. Even so, Kelly and Ryan are the only really skilled Angels. Gia sucks and Nikki is merely "alright."

• Love 3

I've gotta disagree with...seemingly everyone! about Kelly.  I like her, her energy doesn't bother me.  And I'd die to have one of her tattoos.  I really think all of the Angels are settling in nicely to their hosting duties.  I'm a little obsessed with Ink Master in general, and I'm definitely continuing to watch this spinoff.

• Love 6

I like Kelly and think she is the most naturally charismatic of all the Angels.  She really has a passion for her art and it shows.  I thought it was interesting that the Angels voted for the guy and the audience and the local artists voted for Kelly.

• Love 2

Much love for Kelly, but I actually thought she was out tattooed.  Her piece was top heavy and dark, making it difficult to read.  Yes, it will lighten up a bit as it heals, but I still thought Jose Rosado had the better final tattoo.  I got such a laugh out of Mel Vespertine claiming that Jose F-ed himself because he did black and gray and she did color in the second tattoo.  REALLY?  Sorry Mel, that little splash of red does not constitute you doing color.  You merely accented in color.  High Noon's  tattoo was too ambitious and too big for the time limit.

• Love 2

I don't know, I just feel Kelly's energy level and enthusiasm seem a little unnatural for her when she's trying to do the "hosting duties" of this show. Doing that job requires a certain level of self-aware fake smarmy charm. Dave has it. Probst is the master of it. Kelly's natural personality isn't really a fit for the job. I think Ryan could maybe perform it a little better, to be honest. Kelly's got great skills as an artist, but she just seems a little uncomfortable being the ringleader.

1 hour ago, niklj said:

Interesting that this is the 2nd time the audience voters chose differently from the tattoo artists.

I think that's probably more common than we think. It's why the viewers' opinions often conflict with the IM judges, I presume. It's not that there's not some bias in the judging, but there's also more technical knowledge there. We can judge the artistry, but most of us don't know the technical aspects of the field. That's why I enjoy the comments of @AlliePK

• Love 1

Thanks @azshadowwalker, I like your comments, too!

OK, last night.  At first I was not in the corner of Graydon.  I thought he would be unbearably cocky.  In the end, he wasn't.  He was more than competent, absolutely no whining or complaining about the skin of the final canvas, and he gave her the best ink she had on her body.  He really seemed to want to please her, and I liked that.  That attitude is sorely missing from IM: Original Edition. 

1st Tattoo:  The right person left.  It's less than 24 hours later and I don't even remember Nicholas' piece.

2nd Tattoo:  Whitney's landscape tattoo was overshadowed by her mandala (which had some janky lines and blowouts) and while Graydon's landscape was a little overshadowed by the bee, it wasn't as jarring as the mandala.  It fit within the vignette.

Final Tattoo:  Nikki's final tattoo... was it me, or did the tattoo look like Nikki, facially?  She did have the most readable and complete tattoo.  Graydon's could have used an hour more to fine tune.  Both canvases ended up with solid tattoos they can be proud to wear.  I hope that Graydon will take some time to finish his canvas' tattoo the way he really wanted to.  I actually agreed with all the judging last night night, from the first artist to leave to the end. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, AlliePK said:

I hope that Graydon will take some time to finish his canvas' tattoo the way he really wanted to.  

I think that would definitely fit the spirit of helping a person who has finally gotten her life back together  It will look even better finished, but she likely doesn't have much $ to spare to pay someone good to finish it.

On a shallow note: I hadn't realized how attractive Nicki is, until I saw her when she was tattooing and her makeup wasn't nearly as heavy.  I think I remember one of the other artists calling her out on her season for looking way older than she is - I'm convinced her super-heavy makeup application is to blame.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SillyOldClothCat said:

On a shallow note: I hadn't realized how attractive Nicki is, until I saw her when she was tattooing and her makeup wasn't nearly as heavy.  I think I remember one of the other artists calling her out on her season for looking way older than she is - I'm convinced her super-heavy makeup application is to blame.

I was saying that to my husband last night.  She really looked pretty with the minimal makeup look,

• Love 3

Look at some of Nikki's videos when she was here in Tucson. They're only a couple of years old, but I didn't think it was the same woman. LA hasn't been kind to her. I think it's mostly the make-up, but also the heavy metal party life. She's a stunning woman. 

My thoughts:

Not surprised that each of the angels has been challenged once-wonder how much freedom the artists really have to challenge who they want.

Hope Gia is OK-she didn’t look at all well when she came back.

Love Kelly but she needs to tone it down with the screaming and hair shaking when she tells them to stop tattooing.

Finally, was amused that the two male inktestants both had the exact same tattoo (a black left arm). While they may have done it because they thought it was badass and radical (which would prove amusing since it is apparently becoming trendy and therefore not at all radical) I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that each had a deep personal reason for getting what is essentially the identical tattoo as a rival.

• Love 3

Gia is really the weakest link in this group. I liked her piece last night, but she is obviously on a different playing field than the other angels, and hasn't even been able to hold her own against mediocre competitors.

I liked Roger's ice cream cone, but agreed that the placement is odd. He was so unpleasant, I was happy he lost. I wish the angels called out his, "I'm not really being challenged here, so why should I bother making an effort" crap. Uh, maybe because you are marking someone for life. That alone should be reason enough, if not a moral obligation, to not do the bare minimum. His voice also bothered the crap out of me. He was trying to affect a southern, gentile accent at one point, and trying to affect a rough, street accent at another point. Both were so phony that I found him nails on a chalkboard. I have never been happier to see someone lose.

• Love 3

Absolutely @hkit. Roger is NOT someone I'd want to watch on an ongoing basis. Shut up and at least try to present yourself somewhat positively on TV, dude. And yeah, his manner of speaking/regional accent was all over the place.

OTOH, Tim is hella cute. I'm afraid he'll be eliminated early on IM, though.

• Love 1

WTW is this ink master OR not!!  The Angels OBVIOUSLY didn't like the better artist and eliminated him from competition, one contestant had a pin up with BOOTS and hidden hands.

While the other had a correctly drawn pinup with great detail... So the Angles outright CHEATED him out of a win

Sure he was rude, but Pablo Picasso was a dick as well.

I thought Tim really showed good ability to judge what was required for each challenge, which should serve him well on the show. He make good-looking tattoos that fit the instructions and didn't try to do too much. His underarm flower was pretty and well-done. I really liked his southern belle pin-up. She was sweet and cute, with just a hint of sass. It looked finished and proportional. I also liked the lion with dreads - the design was a good idea, and was nicely drawn. I'm not surprised he beat Gia. Her tattoo was seriously jacked.  I'm surprised no one said anything about the hand, which was misshapen and coming out of nowhere. Between that and the hair and flowers, I could see her being sent home on the main show for that.

On 11/4/2017 at 7:57 PM, Salk said:

WTW is this ink master OR not!!  The Angels OBVIOUSLY didn't like the better artist and eliminated him from competition, one contestant had a pin up with BOOTS and hidden hands.

While the other had a correctly drawn pinup with great detail... So the Angles outright CHEATED him out of a win

Roger, is that you? Picasso? Yeah, right.

• Love 2
On 11/4/2017 at 7:57 PM, Salk said:

y'OK.  Pinups can have on shoes, even boots.  Who said they had to be barefoot or wearing stilettos?  And there's no "rule" that pinups have to have their hands visible.  Pinups should be cute, curvy, express personality, have an interesting pose, and not look trashy. 

And you are not actually comparing Roger to Picasso, are you?

• Love 3

Oh, my. I will be looking forward to seeing Daniel again. Because of his adorab artistic skills, of course.

He'll have the talented underdog thing going for him with viewers; be interesting to see how the judges respond to his work. With such little experience, there must be a lot of styles and body placements he hasn't done before. Practice and get some mentoring, Daniel! I'm already pulling for him to do well. His work was so precise.

First time this season we've had a unanimous vote!

• Love 7

The small-talk trash-talk segments are so bad! Most of these people aren't natural assholes and they stand there awkwardly trying to talk smack and failing sadly. Give it up, show. Let them just tattoo. You can cast arrogant assholes for the leftover spots later.

• Love 6

I only saw the final tattoo for the Nashville episode and oh boy, was that back piece bad. Was she just overly ambitious, or was this another weaker talent episode?

8 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

The small-talk trash-talk segments are so bad! Most of these people aren't natural assholes and they stand there awkwardly trying to talk smack and failing sadly. Give it up, show. Let them just tattoo. You can cast arrogant assholes for the leftover spots later.

Completely agree. I thought that the Hardy boy last week seemed to really be forcing his trash talk. I know nothing about him, other than him being Ed Hardy's son, but I got a "nice guy" vibe from him. It was not natural to talk crap. And you can tell how forced it is when someone is eliminated, and they immediately switch to the other producer fed lines: what a tough task it is going to be to go against an angel. They go from sparring to bonding and supporting. 

Edited by hkit
  • Love 1

The back piece was actually not horrific.  It just really needed a few more hours to close up some of those feathers and shade the other side more similarly to the cover up side.  She has talent, just needs time management/determination skills.  

The trash talk is super annoying because in reality, very few tattooers are that arrogant once they've had some years under their belts.  The arrogant ones tend to be the newer tattooers.  Once you've been to the cons and guested in each other's shops, etc, there's a camaraderie that develops.  I don't know that I ever heard Oliver Peck trash talk another artist, witch the exception of his ex.  Most are supportive of one another.  One of the best tattooers I know is Thomas Hooper.  And there is NO arrogance in that man, and he is a true artist.

• Love 3
On 11/15/2017 at 5:36 AM, hkit said:

I only saw the final tattoo for the Nashville episode and oh boy, was that back piece bad. Was she just overly ambitious, or was this another weaker talent episode?

Regardless of the final tattoo, this episode had very little talent on display. A very weak episode. You didn't miss anything with the other challenges. It was a series of "they all suck, which one sucked the least so we can call them the winner?"

Although, it might be worth watching the first segment for the worst belly-button tattoo you've ever seen. Ask yourself "What does a jaw bone and a nuclear explosion have to do with the belly button?", then tune in to not find out.

• Love 7

The show isn't stellar or anything, but I'm pleased to have more tattooing. I hope Gia's health improves, but three judges makes more sense than four, anyway.

It seems like the angel preliminaries aren't going to be feeding a ton of contestants into the regular IM season, which I was afraid might happen. But it'll help to be familiar with a few of them off the bat.

Be funny if the first episode is one of those mass dismissals and the angel winners lose their spots.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, 2727 said:

It seems like the angel preliminaries aren't going to be feeding a ton of contestants into the regular IM season, which I was afraid might happen. But it'll help to be familiar with a few of them off the bat.

I think, but don't know for sure, that the entire next season of new IM contestants will be from Angels. The winners are "guaranteed" a spot, of course, but I think the producers will fill the remaining slots with second-place finishers who showed promise. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, harleyhusky06 said:

I absolutely love this show but I just can't with Kelly and her time's up head shaking - it drives me nuts!

Agreed, it's just not her personality. She isn't a natural host. Maybe a second season will help her be more comfortable in front of the cameras doing that job. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, harleyhusky06 said:

I absolutely love this show but I just can't with Kelly and her time's up head shaking - it drives me nuts!

I read on another forum that she looks like a dog shaking off water when she does this. I can't unsee now. 

I'm sad that the overall talent and the forced trashtalk seems to keep people away. I like the format, and we have 7 tattoos we can discuss every week. Much more compelling than a traditional ink master episode where half of the show is dedicated to make a portrait using dried play-doh and kool aid powder. 

Maybe the Angels will find their own next season and meet up with better artists. 

• Love 7
On 11/22/2017 at 11:25 AM, Charlesman said:

I think, but don't know for sure, that the entire next season of new IM contestants will be from Angels. The winners are "guaranteed" a spot, of course, but I think the producers will fill the remaining slots with second-place finishers who showed promise. 

I have that suspicion, too. At the very least, the top personalities or people with strong stories who just had a bad day will be back. It wouldn't surprise me if everyone from the San Francisco episode made the main show, for example. 

• Love 1
On 11/15/2017 at 0:54 AM, CoyoteBlue said:

On 11/15/2017 at 1:24 AM, Charlesman said:

Yeah, it really doesn't fit with the style of this show, compared to IM Original, to have this fake trash talking thrown in. It's the worst part of every IM to begin with. It's somehow worse here. 

The local trash talk is unnecessary, just like the trash talk on original recipe Ink Master. Please, Show(s), just let us watch more of the artistic process, more in-depth views of the work itself, more of the judges debating the tattoos - anything but that fake producer-driven nonsense.

• Love 9
On 11/26/2017 at 7:39 AM, SillyOldClothCat said:

Gia has been absent from the last couple of IM:Angels episodes - is she OK?

Still dealing with health issues, but she is OK. 

But, I hear she won't be on any more episodes of this season, and isn't on the roster for season 2 either. 

• Love 2

They definitely sound like lines fed to them, it's very annoying. And really, did that guy (two weeks ago) not know he was going to his sister's shop? Don't treat the viewers like idiots please...

My son and I think Kelly's calling time is funny - it always makes us laugh....

• Love 3

she said on twitter that she won't be back

here's more: https://www.monstersandcritics.com/smallscreen/gia-rose-from-ink-master-angels-is-engaged-tattoo-star-says-yes-after-boyfriend-pops-question/

Gia left Ink Master: Angels earlier this month following a sudden “flare up” of her sciatic nerve, due to complications from cancer treatment.

It meant doctors grounded her from flying which resulted in her being unable to film the rest of the series.

• Love 2

The more Kelly speaks, the more I love her. We learned in Austin that she suffers from Navarro PTSD. Last night, she let us know that she identifies as a green ghoul. And the icing on the cake - she knows that Mardi Gras beads don't come out of a butterfly butt. 

• Love 10

Tai Viper was cocky and annoying, and although he did decent work it didn't back up his mouth, so I'm sure that even though he didn't win, if my theory is correct that the rest of the season 10 cast will be filled out with also-rans, he's probably going to get an invite to the mothership if only for the drama. 

• Love 1

I've been trying to maintain my interest in IM:A, but I find it just plays as background in my living room.  Last night's episode was clearly run out of order, it appeared to be the actual pilot as the format was a little different.  I liked the guy who was in the last challenge, but I HATED HATED HATED Jesus' floppy and skinny arm, chest plate, and face.

• Love 4