Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E04: Week 3: Guilty Pleasures Night

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, spanana said:

I personally find it more troubling that Maks not showing up to the show amidst rumors of drama between himself and Vanessa and 100% of the blame is being put on Vanessa, and not the overdramatic man baby with a long history of temper tantrums on the show.

Don't get me wrong in that both Maks and Vanessa are big personalities so I can see them butting heads, but lets not pretend that Maks doesn't have a long history of having drama and temper tantrums with partners.  Not to mention it is Maks freaking job to show up and be professional.  If he can't put up with "difficult" partners then he should give back his paycheck and leave the show as I'm sure there are any number of pros that would be glad to take his place.  Why is every other pro required to be professional and Maks can just back out last minute because he feels like it?

But by all means, lets always blame the woman

Perfect! Please make him leave.

1 hour ago, spanana said:

I'm not arguing that People is 100% fact, but the story has now spread to just about every gossip site/rag with some alterations so I do think there is something to it, even if exaggerated.  Also if there weren't, either Maks or Vanessa would have stepped up by now and shut it down.  But the other point I was just trying to clear up was that Maks did not fly to Vegas and his absence seemed to have little to do with any of that since he was out after the show and on social media looking just fine.  Also considering neither Peta nor Val seemed at all bothered, it wasn't likely anything to do with a serious family situation.  So short of an injury or Maks having some sort of spat with TPTB, I have no other ideas.

Also just because Maks and Vanessa have both posted something about him being back next week doesn't mean they aren't having issues.  Of course Maks had to come back eventually unless he had plans to quit the show and be out a paycheck.

I'm not saying they don't have issues.  That's entirely possible.  That Maks would sit out a show (seriously, the dude's in love with himself - would he really pass up a chance to have his face seen by millions especially when he's got a possible contender??  My brains say no way, Jose!) because of it?  I suppose anything's possible, but if he could deal with Hope, he can deal with Vanessa, who is far more pleasant and hard-working and talented than Hope.  As for other ideas?  He owns a chain of dance studios.  Could be some problem with one of them.  That would not affect the rest of the family.  Could be a minor injury that, given his history, he didn't want to risk aggravating and didn't really want known.  There are probably of dozens of likely scenarios that would cause him to miss a show but still be able to have dinner with his family.  He can be a complete dick, but I've never seen any indication that he's that unprofessional.  I mean he danced in shows with Karina after she dumped him!  I put no stock in the fact that the story has spread among the gossip rags.  That's what happens with gossip.  That doesn't make it true nor are either Vanessa or Maks obligated to answer every silly rumor out there.  It's entirely possible they've decided to ignore the tabloids and are content to let the show's spokesperson deal with it.  But even if Maks were inclined to try to ditch because of a spat with Vanessa, I just don't see the show allowing it.  Maks is not the draw he used to be - he's been absent too much.  And I don't see Vanessa being such a big draw that they would studiously avoid showing any strain between them in the packages.  My own personal opinion is that this is much ado about nothing.  They may not always be sunshine and kittens, but I doubt they're so at each other's throats that Maks would feel it necessary to act that unprofessionally.  Again, YMMV.

• Love 4

Could it be that Maks and Vanessa simply disagreed about this particular routine and weren't able to reach a compromise? It really was an oddly choreographed number - Vanessa barely danced with Alan at all. She did more dancing by herself and with the troupe than with a partner. 

I don't know. It does seem strange to make this vague reference to a "personal matter" then not elaborate on it. But - it's also possible the show is happy to let imaginations and gossip rags run with it because it stirs up interest and, hopefully, ratings. Could be nothing more than a publicity stunt. They had to know people would be going crazy trying to figure out what was going on.

23 minutes ago, LadyMustang65 said:

He owns a chain of dance studios.  Could be some problem with one of them.  That would not affect the rest of the family. 

The family owns the chain of dance studios so it would affect the rest of them.

This is all now getting Maks just what he wants...attention and publicity. He craves that.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Emily-D said:

Of course DWTS won’t air their arguments publicly as they’ve been shielding Vanessa all season. She’s a producer and judges favourite and don’t want to let on that everything isn’t rosy in the garden in the fear that she loses votes.

A judges favorite, maybe, but a producer of what? I'm confused if this means she's got a hand in the show or if she's just not an awful dancer (and producing decent content).

The show hasn't been shy in sorting dirty laundry for ratings, so I don't know why this would be different. It's weird all around.

That said, I can take or leave Maks but I can definitely leave his disinterested attitude. Alan might be an overeager puppy but at least you get the impression he's having fun and wants to be there. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, rockibirdi said:

I normally enjoy DWTS, even with all of its faults. This season, however, has left me a little cold. Some of the dances were really good last night, but it is difficult to see past the tired, cynical, incompetent patter of the  hosts (more so Erin than Tom), the showboating subjective judges, the fakeness of both the stars and the pros.  

Does anyone else notice a difference this season?  

I know many people on this forum are enjoying the show, and I don't want to be all negative about it, but something seems more off than usual.  

It's a Houghless season. Could that be the problem?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, LadyMustang65 said:

.......  What is known is that his decision to miss the show was made late in the day.  Alan had only 2 hours to work with Vanessa; ......................

Well folks. There is our answer. The choreography was all Maks. Allan stepped in and had to learn the choreo and perform with Vanessa for the show.

• Love 2

The reason for Maks' absence is only rumor at this point.  I like him, Derrick too.  I appreciate their skill and would rather watch them than Keo or some others.  

• Love 3

Whatever the issue was that led him to miss the show it was going on before the Vegas shooting. Val posted a mysterious Instagram post featuring a photo of him and Maks and a quote about how Maks gave him a roof over his head and wings to fly or some BS with a #familyovereverything hashtag thrown in for good measure either late Saturday or early Sunday. I knew something was up with Maks then but did not expect him to miss the live show.

As for Maks not really being unprofessional despite his other faults, I'd have to disagree. He's bailed on a couple of charity events last minute over the years and he bailed on hosting Shall We Dance on Ice citing a scheduling conflict just days after doing a string of promos for ticket sales. He never personally acknowledged bailing on the gig or apologized to fans that already bought tickets. He left all of that to Meryl and the event organizers and just never talked about the event again. And the "scheduling conflict" turned out to be being Peta's plus one at a charity event she was hosting. It wasn't even his gig. Totally unprofessional. 

I used to love Maks. A lot. I would always defend him. I still love watching him dance and think the show lacks something when he is not on. I was thrilled for him when he won the mirror ball even with the heavy handedness of that season. But he is a pretty big jerk most of the time so I can't disregard the possibility that some unprofessionalism on his part is what is happening here. 

I do wonder just how big the personality conflict would have to be for him to totally bail on show night though considering that he made it almost a full season with Hope Solo. Vanessa seems like she could grate but Hope was next level nightmare.

Edited by TeeMo
  • Love 5

I do wonder just how big the personality conflict would have to be for him to totally bail on show night though considering that he made it almost a full season with Hope Solo. Vanessa seems like she could grate but Hope was next level nightmare.

Not only that, but in my wildest imagination, Vanessa cannot be as headstrong, strong-willed or as much of a "personality" as Kirstie Freaking Alley. I mean - Maks liked working with Kirstie, and as far as "strong, A-Type personalities" go, Kirstie has to be the strongest he's ever worked with. 

Hope Solo was a crappy dancer, she was as stiff as a board and it was clear from Day 1 she wasn't going to make it very far. All Maks really cares about is having a partner who is good enough to go all the way to the finals. I think "personality conflicts" take a backseat so long as he thinks he's got a shot at the mirrorball, and he definitely has that shot with Vanessa. Maybe he doesn't care that much now that he already has one, but I do find it hard to believe any conflict with Vanessa would be enough to make him walk out.

What is known is that his decision to miss the show was made late in the day.  Alan had only 2 hours to work with Vanessa

Well that's very odd considering the fact that this number seemed deliberately designed for a replacement to step in at the last split second. Most of the dance Vanessa was either alone or with the troupe. I'd say it's highly likely Maks knew all week there was a chance he would have to bail for something else.

• Love 1

I said this in the media thread, but the main reason I think there is something to the whole Maks/Vanessa thing is throughout an entire day of bad press, neither have denied it all.  If Maks mystery reason wasn't related to Vanessa he just would have come forward and said that while he was out for personal reasons, it had nothing to do with Vanessa and they loved each other blah blah blah and all the gossip was a load of bs.  Simple and done.

Yet that hasn't happened and neither have any of their loved ones denied it.  The only thing they have both done is post something about how they can't wait to get started on next week's dance together or something.  That is not a denial.  Also you know there is no way Val would keep his mouth shut.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, LadyMustang65 said:

I'm not saying they don't have issues.  That's entirely possible.  That Maks would sit out a show (seriously, the dude's in love with himself - would he really pass up a chance to have his face seen by millions especially when he's got a possible contender??  My brains say no way, Jose!) because of it?  

This. After all, last season his celeb LOST after the week he was missing.  Am I remembering that correctly? So it's a huge risk to take, to miss an entire show, not just the dance, but his handsome (yes, sadly) face standing up in the balcony beaming at Peta or whatever he does up there. It would be crazy for him to let personal issues keep him from dancing with Vanessa when he has a decent contestant. (I think he knew pretty quickly, for different reasons, that Amber and Heather weren't going to go the distance). 

But, I suppose it's possible that he stomped out. And while she has a lively personality, I would definitely put most of the blame on him if their partnership didn't work out. He's a professional dancer, he's been judged and critiqued his whole life, surely he can work with Vanessa. 

4 hours ago, McManda said:

A judges favorite, maybe, but a producer of what? I'm confused if this means she's got a hand in the show or if she's just not an awful dancer (and producing decent content).

I think they meant that she's a producer favorite and a judges favorite. Not that she herself is the producer of anything. Her packages have been pretty flattering overall. 

What's really unprofessional is Maks going out to dinner after the show after he used an excuse to miss the show. Ass, fame whore.

He only enjoyed working with Kirstie because she was famous. Very famous compared to his others partners. He would never miss a chance to suck up to someone famous.

• Love 2

Thoughts on contestants for week 3 (in alphabetical order):

Frankie & Witney - thought they were in unison at top and that Frankie looked relaxed/at ease carrying out his favorite boyband moves. Nice to see botofogos throughout and promenade runs; good to see Witney being able to express herself (choreography) clearly without any interruptions/blockages. Liked the halo lighting effects as Frankie stole the spotlight midway, dancing with the troupe to relive his boyband fantasy; not too long or short, but enough to get right back into the routine. Think if he can convey his free arm/hands as a stylish extension of his rhythmic body, it would add a bit more flavor to his routines. But a fun samba and liked how his shoulders were a bit more disciplined this week around.

Jordan & Lindsay - it was nice to see the comic pages come to life on the floor and that it was an engaging performance to watch. Thought Jordan embraced his superhero X-men persona well at the very top (Bruno), and that they set the initial scene and built the anticipation well. Perhaps the music played a role, but thought the Charleston routine felt a bit on the serious side. Maybe taking on a lighter, comical slant, with kicks being accidentally (and unknowingly made) and bumping hips with the antagonist (and sending them flying), etc, would've fit the style a bit; perhaps like a 3 Stooges/quirky routine, while still keeping all the enticing visual elements. But still thought they showcased a fun, entertaining routine and looking forward to seeing what Jordan will do next.

Lindsey & Mark- liked the clever opening bed scene and how Mark paced the choreography without letting the jive music fatigue the performance. Nice to see them skip out, get straight into a jive kick, and thought it was a welcome sight to see the rotating mooch-like chorus steps after being cooped up in bed. Thought it was also nice to see Lindsey's go-go lyric legs strumming along with the vocals (Bruno), and how her body continues to be more disciplined to fit the week's dance style (C.A.). Maybe it would've been nice to see a sneaky breakout side-by-side section during the vocal break. But thought the jive routine was a light, bright affair, and that the organic ending on the bed added to the cheery cohesiveness of the evening's jive performance.

Vanessa & Alan - was a bit difficult at first to visually identify Vanessa with the troupe at the top as she blended in well (Len). Though wishing she could've reached out to Alan sooner in hold, thought she was having a fun time with the troupe, and that it was nice to see her up front and center. Think this is important, as Vanessa (performer personality) is someone by nature who has a strong need for attention and appreciation. Whether in training or out in the spotlight, think its essential she is given the continued appreciation she really needs. Its not to assume it's a sign of vain desire for attention, but rather a genuine need in her life; and that if it's filled, she'll continue to be happy.

----------------------------------/

---------- & ----------

----------------------------------/

Best of luck to all the celebs and looking forward to their dances.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, LadyMustang65 said:

My own personal opinion is that this is much ado about nothing.  They may not always be sunshine and kittens, but I doubt they're so at each other's throats that Maks would feel it necessary to act that unprofessionally.  Again, YMMV.

It could be much ado about nada, and yet imo personal issues should never interfere with the show. It must go on and all that. It might be with the producers, it might not be with Vanessa, but she gets pulled in... Who knows after the Frozen Fiasco last season Maks might have told the show runners he won't do Jazz choreography anymore,  and perhaps his partner objected and wanted to try. It seems rather odd that the show runners have nothing to say, like they all want it to go away and are fine with the speculation that it's between Maks and Vanessa, any publicity is good publicity for DWTS, (just don't expose the producers!). Somehow it seems that Jazz is the centre of his problems two seasons running. He might have a legit reason not to do Jazz, mainly because he sucks at it, and Mandy Moore was too busy to ghost choreograph, but he has the Ego the size of the Ukraine so perhaps instead he insists on doing some latin dance where he has some proficiency. And to be fair we know in the past certain celebrities didn't do certain dances - James Hinchcliffe never did a Samba,  Zendaya never did a Rumba, but these were considerations for the celebrity contestant, not the pro.  In his mind doing Latin may be the best path for Vanessa, because he is better as a pro at it, and yet the show runners dictate the dances and he also knows that it's a losing battle to be a pro and push back and refuse to perform. 

The only time a pro doesn't perform is if they're sick (and dancers usually drag themselves to perform) or a family member is very sick or dead.  Live shows depend on the performers and when they don't it's a disservice to the audience and the celebrity regardless of how you feel about them personally.

This is how children act, they don't like something they take all their marbles and go on strike for a show or two . I think Maks has had a helluva run on this show, was able to get a dance franchise going due to the publicity he receives on the show, he got his little brother on the show,  opened the door for others, pushed to get some troupe members on and met his wife there. This is one of the biggest gigs for dancers in show business. If he doesn't want to be there then hand it over to someone who does. Right now it seems like he's only doing the show so his outside interests thrive, but to hell with whatever he does on the show, people should like it because he's Maks Chmerkovskiy. 

It seems when he pulls a hissy fit Maks is anything but grateful and that sticks in a lot of craws.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, tessaforever said:

I think they meant that she's a producer favorite and a judges favorite.

Oh duh. That makes complete sense. Reading comprehension is hard for me, apparently. Thanks for the clarification!

• Love 1

I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome with diarrhea, so I will put Maks' problem as that. Once the Imodium kicks in, everything is fine again, but sometimes, there's a couple of hours...

Now to the rest. I really liked Mark and Lindsey's Jive, it was the first time I really, really liked her. And Mark does need a bit of a trim.

I wasn't crazy about Jordan & Lindsay (hope I got the Lindsey and the Lindsay straight) and I agree with Len that there wasn't a lot of Charleston content, but it was overall cute. At the beginning, I couldn't figure out who he was because between the interview and the live show, he changed his hair color! I liked the darker color, but he looks younger with the blonde. 

I even enjoyed Drew for a change, thought he was getting a handle on some dance things, about where to put his hands, wasn't near as gangly as the week before. Didn't much care for his intro story, but I do love true crime shows. But for me the guilty pleasure is that I love 21 Jump Street.

I really like Frankie, I knew his name, but little else. This wasn't my favorite dance of his. One thing I've noticed is that he has tried to take on leading since they very first and many of the male celebs don't get to that point.

I appreciate that Gleb doesn't seem to be sexing everything up with Sasha, but that wasn't much of a dance.

I'm kind of over "bullying", most people have been bullied at some point or other, and most people have been teased by their siblings, family and peers. But it seems that today people say bullied when they mean teased. And yes, I know that bullying can be a real problem. But I loved Tom's remark about not being an ass. Pretty much goes for everything in life.

3 hours ago, spanana said:

I said this in the media thread, but the main reason I think there is something to the whole Maks/Vanessa thing is throughout an entire day of bad press, neither have denied it all.  If Maks mystery reason wasn't related to Vanessa he just would have come forward and said that while he was out for personal reasons, it had nothing to do with Vanessa and they loved each other blah blah blah and all the gossip was a load of bs.  Simple and done.

Yet that hasn't happened and neither have any of their loved ones denied it.  The only thing they have both done is post something about how they can't wait to get started on next week's dance together or something.  That is not a denial.  Also you know there is no way Val would keep his mouth shut.

Not only that, but his edited post today about Alan stepping in did not mention Vanessa at all. Nor did either of his posts say she did a great job and encourage people to vote for them. 

1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome with diarrhea, so I will put Maks' problem as that. Once the Imodium kicks in, everything is fine again, but sometimes, there's a couple of hours...

You have my sympathies.  It could also be that he was at home, high on vicodin, peeing blood and waiting to pass a kidney stone. 

• Love 1
On 10/2/2017 at 10:24 PM, Ivana Tinkle said:

Screw the DWTS band for making me think, "Man, I wish Will Smith were rapping this instead".

They could have even gotten Alfonso to come in and do it. He would have done better than what they did. Yikes.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I'm kind of over "bullying", most people have been bullied at some point or other, and most people have been teased by their siblings, family and peers. But it seems that today people say bullied when they mean teased. And yes, I know that bullying can be a real problem. But I loved Tom's remark about not being an ass. Pretty much goes for everything in life.

This is how I feel about the bullying topic. I don't mind when those who were seriously bullied address it, but I feel like a lot of the contestants just say they were bullied to have a story.  Most people have experienced some bullying, or teasing, as you said. There is a difference between being teased a few times and relentlessly picked on. It's just a tired topic at this point, but it seems the younger celebs always mention it. Although there is a serious cyber bullying issue, and when celebs discuss that I don't mind as much. I mean you can see physical proof of this when you go to some of these celebs social media profiles and see all the haters posting vitriol.

On the topic of guilty pleasures, I agree that a lot of the guilty pleasures weren't the true definition of that. I think the boy band one, the romantic comedies, and the romance novels/50 shades of grey were, but the rest weren't as much. I think comic books have become so popular nowadays, nobody would tease you for enjoying them but I guess it is still considered geeky. That was still way more of a guilty pleasure than baking or pajamas lol. I do consider boy bands a guilty pleasure, especially for a male. Most guys will not admit to liking them and people will make fun of you for it. Even girls will be teased about liking boy bands. They just aren't considered as serious music. I know in the past bands like The Beatles were considered boy bands and people won't deny their musical talent. Now people just think of groups like One Direction, which while wildly popular with women, a lot of guys would probably not admit to liking. I knew women embarrassed to admit they liked them too.

I'm unsure about this Maks/Vanessa drama. Part of me doesn't believe it because Maks wife is paired with Vaneesa's husband. I would think Maks wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardize Peta and Nick's journey on the show. Then again it is odd he and Vanessa haven't denied the rumors, but they may just not want to bother addressing it. I am starting to think Maks should stop joining the show. He probably joined this year for the marriage angle, but he does not seem that interested in the show anymore. I would honestly rather see Sasha continue as a pro, and also Alan become a new pro staple. Although, I guess Maks could stick around and replace Gleb. Or I wouldn't mind a return of Tony either.

Does Vanessa remind anyone of Ginger (the meteorologist from Good Morning America)? They seem kind of similar to me. I remember everyone hating Ginger and pissed when she made the top 3. I don't think Ginger was a bad dancer, but a lot thought she wasn't that good. I guess at least people think Vanessa dances well. I just see some similarities between the two where it seems their personalities just don't click with the audience (at least the audience on these forums).

I agree with whoever said they aren't that excited about this season. I recognize there are a lot of good contestants this season, but nobody is really grabbing my attention and make me root for them super hard. At this point, I'm probably rooting for Frankie the most. A lot of the contestants I just don't care about that much.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bealled said:

I think comic books have become so popular nowadays, nobody would tease you for enjoying them but I guess it is still considered geeky

I would typically agree, but comic books have only become popular in the last few years. Before then, there wasn't much in terms of comic books and other nerdy things in the media, not to the extent as they are now. And I do think, paired with Jordan's backstory about living in a football town, where I assume sports is considered the norm, being a geek could have given Jordan a rough time. That's why I consider his a guilty pleasure; from what he described, it sounded like not many people liked the geeks, such as himself. 

But yeah, wanting to lounge in bed all day is not a guilty pleasure; I think everyone wants to do that! Baking, I don't think is a guilty pleasure either, because so many people bake for fun or to destress and nobody is going to make fun of someone who bakes because then they won't get the chance to have some of that food! 

1 hour ago, bealled said:

I do consider boy bands a guilty pleasure, especially for a male. Most guys will not admit to liking them and people will make fun of you for it. Even girls will be teased about liking boy bands. They just aren't considered as serious music. I know in the past bands like The Beatles were considered boy bands and people won't deny their musical talent. Now people just think of groups like One Direction, which while wildly popular with women, a lot of guys would probably not admit to liking. I knew women embarrassed to admit they liked them too.

I was hesitant to call boy bands a guilty pleasure at first, but so many good points have been made that I never even considered. I guess, for males, it is odd to like boy bands so much. I'll admit; recent boy bands, starting around One Direction and onward, are ones I have a hard time admitting that I like to an extent, so maybe there is a point trying to be made here. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, sinkwriter said:

They could have even gotten Alfonso to come in and do it. He would have done better than what they did. Yikes.

I was shocked Alfonso wasn't up in the sky box for the interview with Erin like they did with Erkel a few seasons back.

2 hours ago, bealled said:

I would think Maks wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardize Peta and Nick's journey on the show.

Your mistake is in thinking Maks cares about anyone but himself.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bealled said:

I guess at least people think Vanessa dances well.

Just because all the drama, I went and watched Vanessa's dances.  She dances as well as Brooke Burke, that Foxtrot she did and the "liquid gold" comment is straight from when Brooke did a Foxtrot in a gold dress, and she won her season. Vanessa can be a little OTT with her mugging for the camera, but I don't hate her in the least, sometimes she's quite funny, but yeah, this audience doesn't give this type of personality a chance.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

That's why I consider his a guilty pleasure; from what he described, it sounded like not many people liked the geeks, such as himself. 

This is what I like about Jordan,  he implies he was bullied but doesn't say it, he wasn't "an ass" he found a way to leave that unpleasantness in reading comics.  Also, I love how this young man is so well spoken and just seems to have a ball learning from Lindsay. Sure it's always fun when you have the capacity to learn this stuff, but the joy he has- he's not like a Corbin or Sabrina trying to teach the teacher. That was obnoxious, and he doesn't seem that way.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 4

Yes, the guilty pleasures themselves were mostly weak.  I do get the boy band one, particularly for a male.  Even as a younger female at the time, I would have never admitted being into boy bands because it messed with my serious alternative/rock listening street cred.  Mind you I wasn't that into them anyway, but true story that my friend made me go to a 98 Degrees concert with her and I told everyone that would listen that I was being forced.  Which I was kind of, but I did not want anybody thinking it was my choice to go watch a Lachey.  So yes, I have seen Nick and Drew live.  Lol.

Pajamas we have discussed.  Baking is a pretty standard hobby.  I wouldn't even buy a male celeb using baking as a guilty pleasure in a society full of networks dedicated to cooking/food shows where many of the leading chefs and etc. are male.

Victoria, I guess her guilty pleasure was solely about her liking Tubthumping because besides their reveal of the song, her whole package then devolved into a PSA about bullying and there was nothing else related to guilty pleasures.  On a side note while I certainly don't think Victoria was lying about being bullied, I think the show realized they need to focus on her story every week to probably keep reminding people who she is and to keep her in the competition.  The first time they didn't mention it was Latin Night last week and she faded into the background.

Comics I'll buy because as a few others have said, it didn't become cool to be into comics and other "nerd" type things until fairly recently, so probably not until after Jordan was a little older.

I also don't think Fresh Prince was ever a guilty pleasure.  Growing up at the time, it was just a show that everybody watched.

Does Vanessa remind anyone of Ginger (the meteorologist from Good Morning America)? They seem kind of similar to me. I remember everyone hating Ginger and pissed when she made the top 3. I don't think Ginger was a bad dancer, but a lot thought she wasn't that good. I guess at least people think Vanessa dances well. I just see some similarities between the two where it seems their personalities just don't click with the audience (at least the audience on these forums).

Vanessa doesn't really remind of Ginger from a dancing standpoint. Or even much from a personality standpoint. But I guess I see it in the sense that the focus is on babies and being a mom.  The thing about Ginger, which you can argue whether or not this also applies to Vanessa, is that she wasn't an awful dancer.  That wasn't the problem.  Ginger was mediocre.  The issue tended to be that TPTB and the judges had a habit of pretending she was much better than she actually was and they treated her like a front runner talent wise, when she shouldn't have been.  If the judges had just been honest and judged her accordingly to where she was it, it would have been fine.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, spanana said:

Victoria, I guess her guilty pleasure was solely about her liking Tubthumping because besides their reveal of the song, her whole package then devolved into a PSA about bullying and there was nothing else related to guilty pleasures.  On a side note while I certainly don't think Victoria was lying about being bullied, I think the show realized they need to focus on her story every week to probably keep reminding people who she is and to keep her in the competition.  The first time they didn't mention it was Latin Night last week and she faded into the background.

I have noticed them really pushing Victoria's story too. It is an amazing story, but I also wonder if they are trying to boost her votes. I'm not sure Victoria is a lock to make the finals compared to other contestants like Amy Purdy or Noah Galloway. The difference with Victoria is we can't see her disability so much, so I feel like people are probably not going to be thinking about that as much when voting. Maybe the show wants to keep reminding viewers of that, and perhaps to let new viewers chiming in for the first time to know about it too. However, if it is a top 4 again this year, then Victoria may make the finals. I guess at this point I'm thinking the most likely top 4 will be Jordan, Lindsey, Frankie, and possibly Vanessa although I'm really uncertain about Vanessa. I feel like the fourth spot is kind of a toss up, and as the season progresses someone new could start excelling and rise in popularity.

I think lazing around in your pajamas can be a guilty pleasure, especially if you grew up with parents who taught you that it was not something you could or should do. My own parents would yell at us kids to get up and get dressed and not 'waste your whole Saturday,' LOL. They wanted us to get going on doing our Saturday chores (dusting, vacuuming, cleaning our rooms, etc.) when all we wanted to do was hang out and watch TV or read or whatever. If it's ingrained in your brain, it's tough to shut off the voice that says "You should be doing something productive" instead of hanging out in bed or in your p.j.'s.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

What's really unprofessional is Maks going out to dinner after the show after he used an excuse to miss the show. Ass, fame whore.

He only enjoyed working with Kirstie because she was famous. Very famous compared to his others partners. He would never miss a chance to suck up to someone famous.

There isn't really anyone that famous on this season, though, so he still has a chance. As much as I dislike Maks, I think he probably had a valid reason to sit out. I do think he acts like he doesn't care for Vanessa, though, and this drama is going to hurt her chances.

• Love 1

I believe Victoria's story about bullying.  But it's all about perspective.  Remember she was in a comma like state for 4 years. That's a long time being out of the loop.  I can see a fellow classmates reference something from recent pop culture or a local culture reference she's completely ignorant on.  

Less sensitive kids might have gawked at her ignorance. "How do you not know blah blah?".  And even worse kids might look at the wheelchair and think something hateful like "what are you autistic?"

While I think most reactions from students would be innocent surprise, I can still see their reaction gutting her inside as her missed years of life would have been a painful sensitive topic.  So while not intentional bullying the results of how she felt would have been the same.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Boofish said:

I'm sorry but I need proof that Victoria went to a school on the first day in a wheel chair and people pointed and laugh. If it happened, I'm sorry but nope - not buying it

I don't buy it either. I'm getting to the point where I skip over her. Nothing against her, but the manipulation is so over the top it's ridiculous.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, bealled said:

I have noticed them really pushing Victoria's story too. It is an amazing story, but I also wonder if they are trying to boost her votes. I'm not sure Victoria is a lock to make the finals compared to other contestants like Amy Purdy or Noah Galloway. The difference with Victoria is we can't see her disability so much, so I feel like people are probably not going to be thinking about that as much when voting.

As we are only going into week 4, I can't definitively say how much they are pushing Victoria's story as yet--and with week 4 being story week of course it's the one week that begs for it, but I think what you said is partly why TPTB will feel to highlight her story in her package in some capacity week to week.  Because if a random person watches the show for the first time mid season and it's not talked about in her package, all they are going to see is a middling dance done by fairly mediocre dancer.  Which is not a knock at her, but it goes back to the fact that people aren't going to see her disability on sight the way they did with Amy or Noah.  So I think if they don't push it, she could be gone be gone my mid season unless they are depending on Val's fanbase keeping her in.  With the story, she could last until the end.

That was still way more of a guilty pleasure than baking or pajamas

I guess I can see "staying home in your pajamas all day" as a sort of guilty pleasure, but why would anyone feel guilty about baking? That makes no sense, whatsoever. 

• Love 2

I guess I can see "staying home in your pajamas all day" as a sort of guilty pleasure, but why would anyone feel guilty about baking? That makes no sense, whatsoever.

I love vanilla-based perfumes. Anything sweet or sugar-based, I will wear. I once offered to let one of my closest friends, who happens to be overweight, try on a perfume I was wearing because she commented that I smelled good and she replied, "Jen, it's not great when a fat person smells like cupcakes." She was laughing when she said it but I was genuinely shocked. It truly didn't occur to me that there are people out there who would connect those two things (her weight and a sweet-smelling perfume) and draw conclusions from it. I immediately thought of that conversation when Sasha said that her guilty pleasure was baking, that it was because of the extreme criticism she dealt with when she started to gain weight while she was on Pretty Little Liars. Put in that context, I can totally understand why she would consider her love of baking to be something that she'd feel like she had to keep to herself.

• Love 9

I'd argue that comic book movies are popular (and as a Marvel girl, I wholly approve of the MCU and Captain America's ass) but the source material, the comics themselves, not as much. You're not going to hop on a bus and see a bunch of people page through X-Men or Hawkeye comics like you would see people reading Game of Thrones or 50 Shades of Grey. Although e-readers come in handy for hiding your reading material on transit. Although manga never gets side eyed. I've never understood that.

Also, I'm shocked that Nikki Bella read a book. Although that might be pushing it too far. She might have just watched the movies. Hey, I'm a fan of hers, I watch both Total Bellas and Total Divas just because and lemme tell you, that girl ain't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. 

• Love 1

I know bullying is a problem, but I hate those storylines. Just about every season, they do that storyline with someone they are trying to push. I wish someone would have a positive inspirational package for once. My son is autistic, but other kids have gone out of their way to help him and he is turning out awesome. 

I don't remember Jordan claiming he was bullied. He said he was a bit of a nerd, but didn't seem that bothered by it. I do like him because he seems genuine.

I do wish they would cut sob story week. It will be more of the same.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I'm old, so for us old people that are out of the current lingo loop, couple you please explain?

Manga is a style. Japanese comics, basically.

I'd disagree that they don't get side eyed, but it's a different kind of side eye than superhero comics. At least that's how it was in my high school (though that was 10+ years ago), though manga was more popular - or at least more widespread - than superhero comics. We had a manga club, but it was all the slightly weird kids that wanted read manga and watch anime and get credit for it. We didn't have a comic book club.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm wondering which came first - the "guilty pleasure" or the dance/song assignment.   Some of the so-called guilty pleasures might have been gleaned during the master interviews that are done at the beginning of the season in response to questions like 'what do you do to relax" or "what is your hobby" or "what music do you like", etc.  and the responses became the "guilty pleasure" and the stars prompted to tell a story for the camera. 

i.e. Q-what do you like to do on a day off A-stay in my pajamas all day or A-bake cookies

or Q- what music do you like A-ohhh stuff like Nsync or Back Street Boys.

Or Q-here's the song, tell me something in your life that goes with the song.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I like to think that Peta stole that whip? flogger? thing? (turns out I'm very unkinky) that Nikki Bella used before her 50 Shades of Grey dance and stood behind him, slapping it ominously against her thigh while he got to typing. It's a better mental image than a bunch of guys in suits telling him "Hey, buddy. Might wanna put a statement out."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Callaphera said:

I like to think that Peta stole that whip? flogger? thing? (turns out I'm very unkinky) that Nikki Bella used before her 50 Shades of Grey dance and stood behind him, slapping it ominously against her thigh while he got to typing. It's a better mental image than a bunch of guys in suits telling him "Hey, buddy. Might wanna put a statement out."

I don't think Peta has that kind of influence over him.....or any influence at all.

• Love 3

We know from the past that Max can be overbearing, even physically aggressive, in rehearsal esp. with women he doesn't get along with (Amber; Hope). Whether they're also obnoxious, I don't know, but as the teacher, he should be able to stay professional and work with what he's given.

I won't be surprised if "personal issues" means he didn't like Vanessa's attitude for whatever reason, had a fit and stormed off. If that's the case, they should have him gone permanently because, big personality or not, Vanessa could work with Allan, even under the stress of last minute substitution.

The only excuse I'd find acceptable for Max doing this, would be if Vanessa wasn't showing up, wasn't practicing, wasn't taking it seriously. Since that doesn't seem to be the case, I'm not sympathetic to him in not being there. (I'm taking my cue about Vanessa's work ethic from Len's praise for her this week. he's called out people before for not putting in the work that's needed. In this case, he was very supportive of her which makes me think that commitment and hard work aren't the issue.)

• Love 1

I still think Mak's absences was Las Vegas related.  He has close friends in Vegas so maybe he was freaking out waiting to hear if his friends were okay and knew he wouldn't be able to focus properly on the dance.  Maybe he finally heard from his friends later that they were okay and he was celebrating the good news with Val and Peta over dinner after the show.  Or it is possible that one of his friends was hurt or worse and Val and  Peta took him out to dinner after the show to try to comfort him and cheer him up. For all we know he could have been smiling or laughing about a memory of his friend or being glad his friend is okay.   I have been to wakes where people still smile and laugh at memories of their loved ones. 

Maks could have nipped this attention in the bud.  He could have come out with Vanessa and said "you have it all wrong", or he could have said "we are having issues but are working on it."  With these vague social media posts and then going out after the show, it just keeps the attention on him and people talking.  LOOKATMELOOKATME during a week of national mourning is beyond tacky.  And if he is trying to distract people from what is going on then he is doing a horrible job.  I am just annoyed and really want him to not be involved with the show, ever.

• Love 7
On 10/3/2017 at 4:15 PM, iMonrey said:

Well that's very odd considering the fact that this number seemed deliberately designed for a replacement to step in at the last split second. Most of the dance Vanessa was either alone or with the troupe. I'd say it's highly likely Maks knew all week there was a chance he would have to bail for something else.

There is no telling how much of that choreography had to be restaged after Maks dipped.

8 hours ago, jonaswan2 said:

There is no telling how much of that choreography had to be restaged after Maks dipped.

Alan has filled in on sort notice before and he's a professional, so I don't think is a lack of prep time. That dance felt like lazy Maks and I don't think the choreography had anything to do with him not performing it. 

Wasn't there a conversation about how the troupe members also learn the couple dances each week so they can fill in if necessary? I imagine that pool of available pro dancers grows as more couples are eliminated.