Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E04: Week 3: Guilty Pleasures Night

• Start Topic

Okay.  I'm not interested in getting into an argument.  However, I love Maks.  I read a lot about how people don't like him, but I think he's a beautiful dancer and has done amazing work, especially when having to adapt to "celebrities" who did not have a dance background or are not physically in good dancing shape (looking at you, Kirstie).

May I offer a different perspective?  I've read a lot in threads for this year that there is a thought that Vanessa may be on the fast track to replacing Erin.  I actually had no idea who Vanessa is (hardly recognize Nick's name either), so I don't have an opinion about her one way or the other.  BUT . . . if she knows she is the heiress apparent, is it possible that the issue is HER not cooperating, rather than Maks?  Maybe the choreography was progressively dumbed down during rehearsals because he was trying to push her to excel and she wouldn't cooperate?  I'm not saying that she was not able to do harder choreography; maybe it was a control issue.  (I thought her actual performance last week was actually a lot of fun.)  Maybe at some point, she went to the producers and said she wouldn't dance with him?  Maybe she threatened to pull out of negotiations to replace Erin if she didn't get her way?  Maybe the producers went to Maks and gave him the night off and publicized it as "personal reasons"?  Maybe it was her reasons and not his?

This is all conjecture on my part, but so are all the other opinions on what happened last week.

Drew/Emma's dance was surprisingly good. I was worried about him going first, but he did well.

I enjoyed it! Though I may have been influenced by the song choice. "Red Right Hand" is a song on the X-Files tv soundtrack, and was used in the marvelous "Duane Barry" 3-episode arc during season 2 of that show. It's wonderfully spooky and fit the tone of the true crime vibe Drew was going for. I think he's improving each week, and I'm rooting for him (as well as for Frankie, Jordan and Lindsey - they're my favorites).

Honestly, I don't understand Len's crabbiness toward Drew. The first few episodes, it seemed like Len had it out for him, and I don't get it. I thought his first performance was good! Not great, because he has a lot to learn, but  he was definitely enthusiastic and seemed game to go for it. The performance was fun. 

To me, Drew's no better or worse than any of the other guys (like Nick, TO or Derek), so for Len to go after him with such venom right out of the gate seems ridiculous and unwarranted to me. I feel like they're trying to keep the other guys because 1) they always go for the athletes, and 2) they probably want to keep Nick around as long as possible to milk the "married couples up against one another" angle, so that leaves Drew to get nitpicked mercilessly and kicked out early in the run. I hope that doesn't happen, because it's just not fair and seems like manipulative bullshit to me.

Edited by sinkwriter