Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Jabu
  • Start Topic

Clancy Brown (the shop teacher) makes everything amazing.  I'm been souring on the show for a while now and while the Erica plot was more of the same, Adam's was one of the better ones I've seen (although that mostly on the back of Clancy Brown).  

• Love 2

Loved the shop teacher. 

Not sure why Geoff and Erica are even together.  That has never made sense to me. 

Loved the Water joke too though. Had a friend in college from "Philly" (actually the suburbs of Philly, though he made it seem like the mean streets of Philly) and I still recall him saying "wudder"

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Not sure why Geoff and Erica are even together.  That has never made sense to me.

I think it's supposed to harken back to 80s/90s sitcoms and the whole 'geek gets the popular girl' thing. Like Urkel and Laura. Which I always hated. Myra was so much more likeable and thrown under the bus at the end. Ugh

Edited by Silverglitter
  • Love 4
Just now, Silverglitter said:

I think it's supposed to harken back to 80s/90s sitcoms and the whole 'geek gets the popular girl' thing. Like Urkel and Laura. Which I always hated. Myra was so much more likeable and thrown under the bus at the end. Ugh

The problem is they already did that with Lainey and Barry. I really think this show is missing Lainey she worked much better that Geoff and could have easily gone to school in Philly. 

I also continue to hate roommate Erica.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

Another great all around episode though I could've done without the 227 shade from Adam.

Agreed. 227 was one of the sitcoms growing up that made me actually laugh out loud. It was silly, but funny.

And maybe it was on purpose, but how could they have Bev and Geoff ask "Pardon me. Do you have any Grey Poupon?" and not have Barry say "But of course".  Missed opportunity! 

• Love 3

Erica needs to go away. IMO, she brings down the show. I don't like the character at all plus I scream at the tv that her hair and makeup is always wrong. 

But, Clancy Brown is gold in everything he does. He was terrific as the shop teacher. 

• Love 2

Oh my God that was hilarious! I was dying at Clancy Brown as the shop teacher and his whole story about being in Nam, then the wacky incident in his class that Adam didn't laugh at. That was so great. 

"Why does my daughter sound like she`s from Delaware?" "Your literally describing everyone here." 

Not as instant classic as last week, but still really funny. 

• Love 1
On 1/13/2018 at 3:47 PM, Mabinogia said:

That's where I was at with this ep. It was basically taking everything I do NOT like about the Goldbergs and amplifying it. It was the worst Bev has ever been. It was the worst the whole family has ever behaved. I just did not find anything about it enjoyable. I don't like watching people like this. I just hope it's a one off and we get back to them having at least some redeemable qualities next ep.

Yeah, I found this very tedious.

6 hours ago, cincivic said:

Erica needs to go away. IMO, she brings down the show. I don't like the character at all plus I scream at the tv that her hair and makeup is always wrong. 

But, Clancy Brown is gold in everything he does. He was terrific as the shop teacher. 

I used to like Erica but the past season she has been awful, have mentioned it many times.

The Geoff-Erica storyline was the clear point in my mind where he character just went off the rails

This episode was actually one of the more tolerable and believable ones.  All college kids do go through that pretentious phase, so at least it was relatable. 

• Love 2

I think this episode wasted the Hooters, honestly.

Any other Philly kids remember the big radio station postcard contest to get the Hooters come plat at your high school?  That was cut-throat and was ripe for a Goldbergs/Hooters episode!

• Love 1

Just when I couldn't love this show more - they give a shoutout to Peugeot.

My dad bought a Peugeot and then passed it to me to drive when I was in high school. 505 Turbo five speed manual transmission with a sunroof and spoiler! Loved that car. And yes it was a thing to order replacement parts for that thing! Ah, good times. 

Riled up Barry standing up for Bev was sweet.

Coach Mellor wearing gym shorts in the snow with his little cap was so him.

• Love 2

Adam is by far my least favorite character, and based on those home movies real Adam seems like an utter pain in the ass, but I did agree with him on one point...why would a shop teacher wear a necktie?

I grew up in a family where how you act really reflects on you.  And, since I'm a person of color, I can't help but feel that it reflects on my entire ethnicity (I think Geoff alluded to that).    The entire episode really made me mad.  I know it was supposed to be funny but it struck me as so entitled and rude.  The stealing of the items, endless rolls, rude ordering, etc.  I bet they didn't even tip or would do a crappy 10% tip back then. 

I will say that my dad once ordered a baked potato at a mexican restaurant (it was on the menu he said). 

I've never been a waitress (only a barista), but even I know that seating is often done to avoid overloading the kitchen/waitstaff or that sometimes large orders take longer to make.  I usually can take Beverly since she's usually crazy for love of her family.  This time, she and the whole klan seemed like clueless bullies. 

I'm a little older- 1974 and my kid brother 1978 used to sing this song ALL the TIME!  Even now, if I just say "Ok, here's the situation..." my brother will know all the words.  We downloaded this song recently as part of my "singalong" playlist and the kids know it.   My 13 year old will go to school dances which must be DJ'd by someone my exact age because the play list includes "Jump Around" (house of pain), It's Tricky (Run DMC), and "Humpty Dance".  My son was SHOCKED to know that I had downloaded "Without Me" my Eminem and was floored to know that we danced to it at our wedding (and I know all the words).  

On a weird side note, I now am the parent who doesn't understand- if my son took my car for a joyride/got arrested I wouldn't be cool either. 

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:48 AM, CurlyATX said:

The entire episode really made me mad.  I know it was supposed to be funny but it struck me as so entitled and rude. 

I'm right there with you.  I know comedies are exaggerated, but this took it beyond funny & straight to stupid.

Barry joins the football team but is quickly benched by Coach Mellor due to his lack of playing ability. He convinces himself the coach is testing him; but when Barry realizes the truth of his playing ability, Adam helps his brother understand there are other ways he can contribute to the team and comes up with their own version of the Super Bowl Shuffle. Meanwhile, Beverly designs jackets that she tries to get Murray and Erica to sell when a national TV channel won't.

JTP! I didn't make the episode's connection to the Eagles' Superbowl win until the Fly, Eagles, Fly and was wondering why they had a football episode in February.  Adding the football rap just made it perfection. 

Also, Bev-wear!  I love the Bevolution.

• Love 4

I thought they must have speed rushed the episode during the Olympic Hiatus following the Super Bowl victory but it looks like, at least elements of, the episode was in the works for a while.

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/celebrities/goldbergs-eagles-merrill-reese-mike-quick-20180222.html?mobi=true

It's pretty great they managed to get the episode out as the first one after the Eagles Super Bowl win. So much joy watching the actual JTP play with their on-screen counterparts. I'd watch a full 30 minutes of that game!

• Love 4
(edited)

Awwww that ending was so sweet. It was awesome seeing the real life JTP playing with the TV JTP, especially with the big Eagles win. Not really a big Eagles fan (nothing really against them, just not my team) but I am really happy that their fans got a win. Its really cool how many people they get for this show, both of the "real" people, and famous people who are connected to the story, like all the Eagles people in minor roles. 

"Its very odd!" I cracked up at the increasingly silly rap songs, and the video that Adam made. Oh 80s...

I love that the Hail Barry is Barry throwing the ball, and somehow him catching it. Thats just so Barry.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

I’m a Giants fan, but I was an Eagles fan during the Super Bowl.  I loved the Eagles bit at the end.  Adam tweeted about that happening a while ago and it was so cute to see how happy he was for his brother.  I also absolutely loved seeing the real JTP.

Also was so amused seeing the real Beverly and how foul-mouthed she is.  That jacket was heinous.

”The Super Bowl Shuffle” is awesome and I will not relent about this.

• Love 3

I really thought that Beverly was going to come up with a lint roller glove or something. If she had the ability to scale herself back, the jackets might have been able to enter "so bad it's good" territory. But then if she had the ability to scale back she wouldn't be Beverly Goldberg.

And I thought Barry played (and actually excelled at) hockey? Is that not a contact sport? I don't remember that episode all too well, but I don't recall Bev having any problem with Barry playing, just Adam.

• Love 1

I didn't think much of the episode, but the ending was sweet.  And damn, the real life Schwartz is really that tall and lanky!

Good God, the real jacket is gloriously hideous. 

Adam loves director Steven Spielberg so much and decides to film an original script he wrote about Indiana Jones and his passion for directing is called into question. Meanwhile, Murray and Barry make a bet about whether or not a cheesesteak sandwich in New Jersey is the best one ever.

It was sweet that Bev's advice led to Adam focusing on wiring and not her zany antics forcing him to realize it. There's not a lot of times when the kids are able to heed the advice of the parents. 

Matt Bradley continues to be an outstanding addition to the cast. His "junky" behavior was a great little addition to Adam's issues. 

• Love 6

I really liked this episode.  Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is one of my favorite films so the guy in the car saying "You have chosen poorly" and "You have chosen wisely" to Barry really made me smile.  

• Love 6

I want a cheesesteak now. Apparently Donkey's is real so I must plan a swing through next time I am in that area.

Cute episode. Adam has been sidelined so much lately, it's nice for him to have an episode.

And I was really hoping the "You have chosen poorly" guy was actually the guy from the movie, but that actor died a long time ago. Still, loved the homage to Indiana Jones with that plot.

• Love 2

When Barry got lost and said he found the best cheesesteak in New Jersey i thought Barry was going to say he ended up in Atlantic City at White House subs (.http://whitehousesubshop.net)  Its probably where I grew up but i think cheesesteaks in the Atlantic City area (there are multiple place that have really good cheesesteaks) are better than in Philly. 

Why did Barry go through Camden to get to the Devils' former arena at the Meadowlands?  If he took Route 1 he'd pass by Trenton, not Camden.  Unless he's as directionally challenged as he appeared when going to Donkey's.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Why did Barry go through Camden to get to the Devils' former arena at the Meadowlands?  If he took Route 1 he'd pass by Trenton, not Camden.  Unless he's as directionally challenged as he appeared when going to Donkey's.

Barry would get lost in Jenkintown.

• Love 7

That was hilarious, Adam and his increasing mess of a movie was amazing, and it was sweet that Beverly actually gave good advice and inspired Adam to go into writing instead of directing. "We can fix it in post". 

Barry and his adventure to find his Philly Cheese Steak was also good, especially the ancient knight of cheese steak. "He choose....wisely" "What is that guys deal?" I would also totally get into another movie based song by Erica and JTP on the background vocals. 

• Love 2

That was so funny. Loved the Indy references in the episode. That clip with the old man repeating the knight's saying had me in stitches. It was one of the best moments in the show. Quite a change from the typical Beverly is overbearing plot line. This show is finding its stride. And for all the 80s references of movies and pop culture for 5 seasons, they never bothered with The Lost Boys,  Evil Dead, or Near Dark? Since possibly next season will be the fall of September-October month, it would awesome to make references to those movies or something Adam will try to do with his camcorder.

Edited by Robert Lynch

When Beverly gets a glimpse into a soon-to-be empty nest, she replaces her kids with the Mellor brothers, nursing Coach Mellor back to health after falling off the rope climb. Meanwhile, Erica and her college roommate get on each other's nerves in their dorm room, especially when Valley Erica puts a scrunchie on the door and kicks Erica out.

When I was watching the show, I couldn't stop thinking about the end where they show the old "real life" footage.  I kept thinking that they were going to have video of the real Coach Mellor in a neck brace, with a sign pointing to him "Coach Mellor after I fell on him in gym class".  Then I started thinking about what if all this old footage was really just a bunch of actors that they pay every week to film some low quality video of, and pass it off as being from the 80s.  

Then they have the current Coach Mellor wearing a neck brace, talking about the show.  Why does he have a neck brace on?  Does he still have to wear it from an accident that happened back in the 80s?  Did the real Adam really fall on him?  Did he have a neck brace on for some unrelated reason, and that inspired the story?  Or did they have him wear the neck brace just to be funny?

Lot of questions.  

Speaking of which, there wasn't much Adam in this episode, was there?

• Love 2

Incredibly surreal, but I found this to be a lot of fun. The never-ending parade of WPA students (and alumni) coming through the door was great ("JTpooOOOOO"). I definitely did not see Lainey showing up either, which actually introduced some interesting drama into the mix. I was enjoying this notion of Barry inherently has chemistry with all of Erica's closest friends, but then introducing Lainey into the mix was well done, without overplaying the sentimentality there. I could have watched more of everyone's hijinks (Carla on a college campus!) had they been willing to basically go all A-Plot.

That said, I liked that the B-Plot tied into the A Plot well with the empty house and the Mellors were pretty funny. Bill Goldberg has actually proven to be a pretty good actor in this role, and I enjoy they don't go too ridiculous with the obvious physicality of him. Having Bev melt over him would be so Trope-y and out of character for her.

• Love 4

I miss Lainey. It was nice to see her back though, even though it just reminds me of how much I like her more than Valley Erica as Erica's best friend. 

I loved seeing all of the random kids coming into the room, that was hilarious. And people messing with Valley Erica's hair.

Hi real life Coach Mellor! Have fun bringing dodge ball back!

• Love 1