Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Jabu
  • Start Topic

On 10/6/2017 at 0:15 PM, PradaKitty said:

Yeah, I still haven't mastered folding those damn things!

on this subject. it is impossible to fold those things so let me give you this time saving tip i learned many years ago.

take one pillowcase from your set of sheets and set it aside. fold your bottom sheet, the second or however many extra pillowcases you have, and the fitted sheet (just fold it so it is in a sort of square shape) then place them all in the first pillowcase. now you have a set of sheets and case all ready to go and all together. 

• Love 5
On 10/6/2017 at 1:39 PM, tennisgurl said:

I remember watching old reruns of Hogans Heroes on TV as a kids a few times, and even then I thought it was the weirdest idea for a show ever. Like, what was the pitch meeting like? 

"So, I have this idea for a new show! Its set in the middle of WW2, in a Nazi POW camp, where the POWs try to make their lives better and eventually escape to freedom, while their captors try to avoid being sent to die on the Eastern Front. Oh, and its a wacky comedy!" "Give this man ALL the money!" 

You ever listen to any Kevin Smith podcasts, Tennisgurl?  I just ask because he uses that phrase about giving someone "all the money" a lot.

I liked the premise of this episode, as an old Hogan's Heroes fan.  Adam should have been a little suspicious when his grandfather had him playing that Schultz character.  Funny stuff.

I also liked that the hardcore teacher got misty when granddad told his real war experiences.

• Love 4

I appreciated the Camera work to make it look like Bill Goldberg and Bryan Cullen are anywhere near similar size. Bryan is incredibly lean and wirey and while not short, he's also definitely not within an inch of Bill. I'm guessing they had him on the Dana Scully box for the stare-down.

I appreciate that they're at least attempting to to move forward on Erica at College stories, but it's really showing how difficult it is for shows to deal with the Child away. There's a reason so many kids on TV are in high school for 7+ years

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

I know I am going to hell for finding it funny. But the scene where Pops and Murray were trying to figure out who Adam was looking at because of his lazy eye had me dying!

I had lazy eye when I was a kid and I found that scene absolutely hilarious!I wonder how many takes that scene took?  No way they did that in one take, they all had to been laughing so hard. Great episode!

• Love 7

I had no idea whatsoever who Bill Goldberg was. Can't be a coincidence that they chose someone with the right last name!

For most of the episode I wondered if college coach was Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds. That's totally the type of casting this show would do.

• Love 3

Oh my God the lazy eye had me rolling, feeling awful, and then rolling again. 

The shot of the Coaches and the Goldbergs having their super epic stand off, then cutting to it just being four guys on skateboards while everyone stares in confusion, was hilarious. So was Beverly's reaction to being called a hot mom. 

• Love 3
On 9/28/2017 at 7:40 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

It's getting to be a bit much. The episodes have really fallen into a formulaic rut. Bev screws up, kids get mad, kids appreciate her anyway. The real Beverly is really lovely on Twitter, and I guess you can't argue with the results she got - all 3 kids are very successful. I just wish they'd try something new.

I miss Lainey too, but Aly and AJ just released a new album so she's long gone as a regular unless the album tanks. I guess the tradeoff is Geoff and Jackie in place of Lainey, and I really love those two.

I like Geoff but I not a fan of Jackie.  Rowan's voice grates my nerves.  I feel like she sounds like she always has a stuffy nose. I'd much rather have Lainey around.  Love AJ Michalka!

I believe the reason why they were concentrating on coach this entire episode may have something to do with the planned spinoff about him (last I heard).

Ah, so they hired a wrestler to play his brother, and his actual last name is Goldberg.  Good one!

I love Only You (1982) by Yaz.  Such a delightful song.

• Love 1

Very refreshing to have Murray be the selfish one in this episode by trying to sabotage Beverly from having her time of reinvention.  I actually thought that it was good that she wants to go to night school and figure out what she wants to do with her life after Barry and Adam move out of the house, too.

RLS!  RLS!  And she's even used for the plot this time, if only for a moment!  I loved her growling at Beverly's changed hairdo!

As sweet as Adam and Erica's storyline was, I wonder what became of her paper on Blade Runner?  We never got a resolution to that.

Hey.  Are Johnny and Carla back together?  Wonder when that happened?

Another funny episode.  Surprised no one's said a word about it yet.

• Love 6

On the topic of consistency, I saw 2 reruns last night because this show is running continuously on Pop (I think that is the channel name) now.  And Adam learned in an early episode that his grandfather embellishes, including the service experience, so he should have known most of what he said was a lie here--however maybe he just forgot?  lol

And one of the episodes shows Erica in the clothing store, and she seemed capable of folding.  But this is the Goldbergs, so I can allow for forgetting minor things like this....

Beverly's perm was TRAGIC!!!! I loved the pics of real Bev's perm (which was very typically 80s.)

I'm going to just assume Adam finished the Blade Runner report before their pantry raid. I actually loved Erica's double take on that. It's bad when your little brother comes to you collage for a panty raid but it's far more embarrassing when he comes for a pantry raid. HAHA

Barry's "perm" was funny because there was no change at all. Actually a lot of storyline going on this ep and they were all pretty good.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, alexa said:

And one of the episodes shows Erica in the clothing store, and she seemed capable of folding.  But this is the Goldbergs, so I can allow for forgetting minor things like this....

Well, she did work in women's clothing & not the sheet department :)

I caved and folded a fitted sheet the other day...I didn't do too bad!!!

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, MortysCleaningLady said:

I ador Adam's group of friends.  The college trip, group writing the paper, raiding the pantry, and the band were yhigs my friends and I would do!!  I am a sucker for wholesome fun.....

Me too, I also like that he kept saying Chad a kremp because I forgot that kids name!

• Love 4
On 10/12/2017 at 0:41 AM, rmontro said:

You ever listen to any Kevin Smith podcasts, Tennisgurl?

As a matter of fact I do! However, I used that phrase even before I heard him say it, but I probably say it more now because of him :)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ByTor said:

Well, she did work in women's clothing & not the sheet department :)

I caved and folded a fitted sheet the other day...I didn't do too bad!!!

Yeah, exactly.  Erica's shown that she knows how to fold clothes.  It's just sheets and fitted sheets we'd never seen her fold before then.

• Love 1

Oh wow, Real Beverly's perm was even bigger than TV Beverly's! That thing was so big it could apply for statehood! 

The JTP all get perms! Except Barry who cant get it to work! JTP!

Loved Adam and his friends running off to do a Panty Raid...only to realize its actually gross and creepy. Pantry Raid is more fun anyway!

• Love 11

This was one of my favorite episodes. Mostly because of the Jolt Cola reference. Sometime during the mid-to-late 80's when I was in Boy Scouts bringing Jolt on camping trips was a thing. If you've never drank Jolt it was like 10 espresso shots mixed with Coke in a can. 

I have a very vivid memory of one of my best high school friends sitting around a campfire around 2am begging us all to stay up with him after he drank a 6 pack of Jolt. I loved the Revenge of the Nerds reference too. 

• Love 4

I didn't really understand Erica's storyline.  She was so into going to school, and I don't remember her saying she was going to focus on doing gigs over her education?  I thought she seemed to be aware she needed to finish her degree first and foremost?  Maybe I missed something, but this seemed like quite a jump.  and I don't like that they don't have anyone cool for her to hang out with--she has the bad roommate, and no other friends at all.  I wish they had someone as a regular at college that she could interact with.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, alexa said:

I didn't really understand Erica's storyline.  She was so into going to school, and I don't remember her saying she was going to focus on doing gigs over her education?  I thought she seemed to be aware she needed to finish her degree first and foremost?  Maybe I missed something, but this seemed like quite a jump.  and I don't like that they don't have anyone cool for her to hang out with--she has the bad roommate, and no other friends at all.  I wish they had someone as a regular at college that she could interact with.

Also seemed to have a time jump as they were talking about her being in school for months.

• Love 5
On 10/19/2017 at 11:54 AM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I had the same Mac that Erica was using when I was in college.  Always a tough decision on what font to use, and whether or not to fully justify the text.

Me, too! I had a Mac Plus, got it in 1989 when I started college. I still have it in a closet! I can't get rid of it.

• Love 1

The beginning of this episode kinda reminded me of why I miss video stores nowadays.  There was nothing like seeing a full shelf of new releases.  I looked forward to going there every weekend with my father.  I also used to rent video games for my NES and Sega Genesis.

Love the Revenge of the Nerds references.  Such an awesome film.  The sequel wasn't bad, but they really stretched it out way too much by the third and fourth installments.  I vaguely remember them being made-for-TV movies.

Oh yeah, Jolt cola.  Lightning in a can.  My friends and I got hoped up and ran around the yard a few times.  I thought we were going to have a caffeine overdose.

Perfect timing to mention Blade Runner since 2049 is currently out in the theaters.  I'm sure Adam had a kick analyzing the movie for Erica.

Pantry raid!

• Love 5
On 10/20/2017 at 6:59 AM, alexa said:

I feel like they wanted to have her struggle (which happens to a lot of kids), but they couldn't exactly have her out getting drunk every night so they had to come up with some reason she has been too distracted to do her work. I think it might have worked a little better if the subject matter had at least been something particularly boring, but I guess they had to have an excuse for her to call on Adam. 

This is always the problem with the kids go to college storylines in a show. If she acclimates too well in college, she has her own separate life and only visits on occasion which makes it hard to write her into the show. If she doesn't, we have to watch her either drop out, fail or generally have a miserable time in college. 

Overall, it was a fun episode, though. I loved pantry raid.

• Love 4

Good hundredth episode!

First of all, short RLS!  This time, with Murray, and she looked adorable curled up on his lap!

It's actually interesting to see Murray be the selfish one two weeks in a row while Beverly was the voice of reason this week.  At least during the first half.  Because she's right.  Relationships have to have compromise.  (Of course, she loses steam when she admits that she doesn't like compromising, after all.  But nonetheless, the sentiment is better than Murray's particular way of making their relationship work.)  Either way, Adam trying to make his relationship with Jackie work that same way definitely was doomed to failure, but at least he fixed it in the end.

Great to see Lainey again, but I guess it was for closure for her and Barry, if nothing else.  The ending was sad, but sweetly done.

Would've liked a bit more Pops, but what we did get was decent.

Pretty good, funny episode.

• Love 6

So happy to see Lainey, but their not-happy ending made me sad.  And Barry's tears totally got to me.  Adam in the Spock ears and black bowl cut was too freaking funny!

Edited by Cupcake04
  • Love 10

Congrats on the 100th Episode Goldbergs! I remember back in the fall of 2013 falling in love with the show and doing everything I could to promote it. Glad to see everyone's hard work has paid off.

Fun to have Lea Thompson directing and get the Back to the Future costumes in the episode. But I have to confess, if Geoff hadn't specifically called out Erica's costume as being Young Lorraine I never would have picked up on that. And I say that as a big BTTF fan. She looked generically Sock Hop-ish.

I liked the JTP not indulging Barry with the Ouija Board and Ghost Lainey issues. The addition of Matt to the group has really helped the rest of them find their identities and not cave to Barry's madness mindlessly. They're acting like real friends and not just crazy followers. I found that good and refreshing, as the show enters it's longer years.

I also appreciated having a more dialed down Bev for a while. It's fun watching Murray play the comedy and have her be the straight-(wo)man for a change.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Spock wore a blue shirt (Science Officer).  Red shirts (except Scotty) were killed. 

I think it was meant to be a sort of movie inspired uniform as they all wear red in movies 2-6. But an 80s 'Spock and partner' couples costume would have had Nurse Chapel as the female half not Uhura. Maybe the real Adam F Goldberg really hates Star Trek so much that he knows nothing about it and simply googled "star trek couples halloween costumes" which immediately brings up costumes inspired by the reboot movies.

As for calling Start Trek IV preachy I've got to assume he's never seen it, as it's intentionally hilarious. I'm way more into Star Wars than Star Trek but the character of Adam that we've seen for 4+ years would have to at least grudgingly enjoy parts of The Voyage Home. (And I'm very, very glad we didn't have to see Jackie dressed as Uhura. A white teen in the 80s might have taken that way too far.)

• Love 4