Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Game Face: The Killer Behind the Mask

Tinkering with the format midway through the season made for a jarring, unexpected change. Glad they kept Vee and Rick, as the hearing the judges comment on the work as it's happening is the best part of this show. If the show can't hold my attention with returning artists, how do they expect to hold it with all new ones? I assume they were all new since they never once mentioned their previous appearance. I thought Scott had been on before, but he didn't mention a previous appearance in his talking head introduction. Very bizarre.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Richness said:

Tinkering with the format midway through the season made for a jarring, unexpected change. Glad they kept Vee and Rick, as the hearing the judges comment on the work as it's happening is the best part of this show. If the show can't hold my attention with returning artists, how do they expect to hold it with all new ones? I assume they were all new since they never once mentioned their previous appearance. I thought Scott had been on before, but he didn't mention a previous appearance in his talking head introduction. Very bizarre.

Oh, I was coming here to post that I didn't recognize any of the contestants from Face Off, it didn't occur to me that they might all be new. I wonder why? Couldn't they get any more previous contestants to come back? To me, the biggest change was that McKenzie had normal hair. That's a very good change.

• Love 4

I remembered Scott right away and none of the others but I don't recall a lot of past contestants so that doesn't mean anything.  

I'd like this show better if they gave the people more time.  Viewers aren't watching it in real time anyway so they could edit just like they do the regular show.  The tasks seem too complex to be done well in two or three hours.

I was relieved to see MacKenzie looking like her usual attractive self again.

• Love 3

I thought Jonathon was a past facetestant.  Totally agree about changing the format, and this was the finale.  I was focused way more on that than I should have been.  I kept running the DVR back to see if I'd misheard the instructions about how much time they had.  And then to not realize that some of them were new until the end indicates that the show didn't do a good enough job reminding us who the returning artists were.  If they bring this back, I hope they improve that.

• Love 1

These were all new contestants (the SyFy website confirms it in their episode description).   I agree this was probably the pilot then they changed things up.

Through the whole show, I kept looking at Scott thinking why is he the only vet on here?  And what the hell happened to his face?   I finally realized he can't be the same guy who was on the show I was thinking of.  I was thinking of this guy, oddly who is also named Scott:

http://www.syfy.com/faceoff/cast/scott-fensterer/9

8 hours ago, Kaoteek said:

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that that was the original pilot they shot, until they retooled the show to make it more compelling by having past contestants in.

That would make sense, & unfortunately, that's probably the reason McKenzie had normal hair too.

• Love 2

Through the whole show, I kept looking at Scott thinking why is he the only vet on here?  And what the hell happened to his face?   I finally realized he can't be the same guy who was on the show I was thinking of.  I was thinking of this guy, oddly who is also named Scott:

I'm really puzzled now.  I know I've seen the Scott who was on the show somewhere before - and wearing the same style hat.  He doesn't even resemble Scott Fensterer in my eyes.  It'll come to me eventually.  I hope.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, mlp said:

I'm really puzzled now.  I know I've seen the Scott who was on the show somewhere before - and wearing the same style hat.  He doesn't even resemble Scott Fensterer in my eyes.  It'll come to me eventually.  I hope.

This is all the Syfy pge has on him http://www.syfy.com/node/170595 

Thanks, GaT.  If he hasn't been on Face Off proper, I think he must just resemble someone else.  I don't suppose he was ever on Chopped.  :)  That's where I usually assume I've seen people I think I recognize.

Thanks for that link.  I didn't recognize any of them, but I did see that two faces appliance and I thought it was done as the tornado effect.  

Since there was no preview, I assumed that was the last episode of the season.  I'll miss listening to the judges' comments (and I'll save the eps to a DVD just for that.)

Well, if that mess was really the pilot, they learned a very valuable lesson. That being that newbies can not compete in Game Face, it really is suited to previous contestants, people who know the shop, understand time constraints and are mainly able to hit their marks creatively. Scott needs to start taking some classes in anatomy, his faces were just wonky as hell. The woman who won, I could see her really being a good competitor on the real Face Off.

When does the real Face Off come back? If Game Face never came back, I would not miss it.

• Love 1