Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Aruba-Con

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

When the Legends realize that they broke the timeline, Rip Hunter arrives with his new organization – the Time Bureau – to relieve them of duty. The Legends are thrilled to get a chance to put the team back together but a new threat arises when Rory spots Julius Caesar in Aruba. Sara, Nate and Ray devise a plan to steal the Waverider back from the Time Bureau in order to try and stop Julius Caesar from conquering the modern world.

Mick made it to Aruba! 

I love that the drunken frat boys were totally behind Caesar...until hot Gideon alerted them to her presence. 

I still hate Nate. He’s the worst historian ever. He lets Caesar keep his book that reveals the future of Rome, INCLUDING CAESAR’S OWN FALL.  He should just stay with those frat boys because he has more in common with them.  I do hope Zano’s ok though because he’s clearly taken steroids since last season. Hoping it was a short course and not indicative of long term health problems. 

I love that Sara’s still Captain, in title and action. 

I wish we’d gotten to see the Jax/Stein bonding sessions. It sounds dirty but you know it had to be hilarious. 

I like the team’s new motto. Hey! Nate did something positive for once! 

I hope Amaya comes back to the team soon. Her advanced powers are awesome! 

• Love 8

I loved this episode, it was tons of fun and so much happened.

Why would Sara work retail? A former assassin should not be dealing with customers, especially if she’s day dreaming about killing her boss brutally.

Rip must’ve really crapped on his old team since he created the Time Bureau and they are all making fun of the Legends. I guess he forgot that one of the bad guys the Legends were trying to stop from changing time was him. The time agent lady is going to be grating, so she probably will end up being Sara’s love interest.

Gideon using her picture to keep the frat boys busy. I loved seeing Sara kick Caesar’s ass. Then getting advice from him and then hit on by him.

Of course Nate the “historian’ ruins it.  I can’t see how this frat boy was ever a studious stay at home kid. He sure doesn’t care about preserving history.

I loved the Mick and Sara moments, and I love that he calls her boss.

Amaya seems to have gotten stronger since she can make animal spirits appear outside of her body.

• Love 9

Legends of Tomorrow is back and still as fun as ever!  I definitely need a show like that to watch on a regular basis.

Speaking of fun, the actor playing Caesar was a ton of it.

It's hilarious that the world's worst captain and shitty time traveler Rip Hunter is so quick to pass judgement on the Legends.  That being said, I love the Time Bureau and it looks like it will be a fun element this season.

• Love 5

That was super fun. 

Sarah's smarmy boss with  his line about hiring someone who had been declared dead...twice made me giggle.

Like the little throwaway bit that apparently while Barry was stuck in the speed-force, Nate helped out Team Kid Flash (ha!) a few times.

I am sooo looking forward to this season.  It looks like it is going to be a blast.

• Love 7

A very strong premiere.

Sara mentioned having sex with a male Bureau agent. So she's still bi.

I loved Saras scenes at her job.

I think Ava will be an interesting character. I already like her and Saras dynamic.

I wish the Nate/Amaya break up would stick.

Loved anything Mick.

Amaya's new powers are cool.

I still love Rip. Even though he's turned in the Legends.

I wonder who Malice is.

Even Julius Caesar wants Sara. LOL.

• Love 3

So happy Legends of Tomorrow is back and as fun as ever! 

Wow, what the hell is up with Rip this episode? I feel like something must have happened between him leaving and him creating his Time Bureau (I mean, obviously I guess) that made him act like such an asshole to his original team. I`m half convinced he got brainwashed again, he was acting so weird. Yeah they're a bunch of bumbling weirdos, but so is Rip! At least they admit it. Also, I miss Rips old outfit. 

You would think that Sara and Ray could have found something better to do, being a world famous engineer and a well trained assassin, respectively. I`m sure someone is about to destroy Star City you guys, Team Arrow always needs backup! I guess being declared dead doesn't look great on a resume. Oh well, it was great seeing the gang again, and how excited they were to get back to traveling through time and trying to save the day with the tact of a chainsaw! I did enjoy seeing Nate and Wally team up for a bit. I enjoyed the general camreideire between the team when they all met up again. It really felt like people who really like to hang out and are just super psyched to have an excuse to hang out. Even Mick. 

Hope Amaya comes back soon, her new upgraded powers look awesome! Plus, magic is always a fun element to add to the show. 

I love that they're continuing the "Historical Figures Love Sara" theme! The guy playing Caesar was a lot of fun. 

Cant wait for this season, this show makes me so happy!

• Love 3

Great having the show back and still fun. 

Not sure what to think about Rip. Really he seems to have completely bad mouthed the team and apparently left out that he is doubly responsible since first he was helping the Legion get the spear parts which caused the initial problem and then he was a part of the Legends plan to fix the problem that caused the even bigger problem that caused the need for the Time Bureau. Also not really liking the new look. 

Funny that the actor playing Cesar here played Crassus on the show Spartacus. He still knows have to give a speech. 

Hooray for hot Gideon distracting all the frat boys.

Caity's  abs. That is all. 

Like the new motto. Definitely fits. 

Sara and the female agent were giving each other looks so either they'll be getting in a fight in a few episodes or well doing other things. Possibly both.

Nate take the selfie first then erase the memories. Also don't read from the book in front of the subject. 

• Love 6

Looks fun, but I hated how this episode went down. The Legends "broke" time (in the process of saving all of reality) with that suspenseful ending last season and then they just have Rip show up out of nowhere and solve the whole issue effortlessly in like 2 minutes? Then the writers have this Time Bureau and Rip in particular dump all over the Legends at every single opportunity, all well deserved, while they solve the same issues with ease except for this ONE time near the end just to make the Time Bureau look bad, then have the entire rest of the episode be about The Legends proving every single one of those accusations right, yet we're obviously intended to side against the Time Bureau. Then, at the end we get the implication that Rip WANTED them to do exactly what they did instead of handing Julis Casear over to the Time Bureau... ugh. Vivamus insidias stultus est nomen tuum,

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, ybrik said:

Funny that the actor playing Cesar here played Crassus on the show Spartacus. He still knows have to give a speech. 

Extra funny considering Crassus on Spartacus was NOT a fan of Cesar! I do love whoever in the casting department in the Arrowverse that adores Spartacus so much. Those actors just have presence. 

I really am over everyone dumping all over the Legends. First the 40s Justice League, and now Rip and his new people. Yeah they screw up a lot, but, really, is it any more than the rest of the Arrowverse heroes do? 

• Love 6

Fun shit. I think this should be the Legends' motto: "We may screw things up fifty times worse, but we wind up making them fifty-one times better!"

Seriously eff the Time Bureau. When do we get Linear Men? They're not that wrong about the Legends, but they're still dicks.

At least Sara kept busy in her sixth months away, at least away from the retail shop. Yeah, if you've been declared dead twice, that would be a problem. Also liked her telling Ray and Nate about how she swiped the key, and the boys looking at her. Dudes, why are you shocked?!? It's Sara Lance! He can kick Caesar's ass. She can do anything because she's that awesome.

No profound off-screen changes. They're still the lovable dopes they always were. And, of course, Nate would give Caesar a book on Roman history, because he's contantly trying to out-dork Ray.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, immortalfrieza said:

The Legends "broke" time (in the process of saving all of reality) with that suspenseful ending last season and then they just have Rip show up out of nowhere and solve the whole issue effortlessly in like 2 minutes?

I wonder if the fact that they 1) hadn't already swooped up Caesar and 2) couldn't even find him even when the Legends told him where he was, means that the TB's operations aren't as flawless as we're supposed to think they are. 

Really they can shit on the Legends all they want but the Legends got the drop on them in a couple of key ways and managed to figure out they were walking into a trap.  The Legends may not be slick and well funded, but they really do screw up things for the better.

• Love 4

I did like that Sara took Ava's gun from her when she got distracted by Nate attacking Rip. They may be the chainsaw but they are not useless. No amount of rules can make you think on the spot, that is what Sara and her team are good at. 

• Love 8

What was the name of the big bad Rip and Ava were talking about? I didn't quite catch it. Is it somebody from the comics or somebody they invented for the show or a codename for some other character? 

Edited by tofutan

Finally! The most fun show of the Arrowverse returns and (except for Nate, who is still a terrible 'historian' and boring as far as I'm concerned) reminds me of why it was the one I was most looking forward to.

Mick finally making it to Aruba was the highlight. Even if Julius Caesar did get in the way.

I do find it a little odd the only thing Sara could find to do was the most boring possible kind of job for someone like her. Yeah, being dead twice doesn't look too good on a resume but in a world where masks are handed out like candy and crime seems to be rampant surely...ehh, I get it from a narrative perspective. If she'd found something interesting to do she'd have less reason to come back.

Ray, though. He may not have a company anymore but is he really so broke he has to work at not-Tinder? Surely a guy who can create dwarf star tech can whip up a few inventions to sell.

For a minute I honestly thought Stein might leave. He still could, I suppose, if instead of being half of a nuclear powered superhero Jax gets to be Firestorm all by himself, somehow. Stein is putting an awful lot of trust in the team with a not so great track record in getting back to WHEN they want to be, to leave behind his wife (again) and pregnant daughter.

Rip decided to replace a bunch of know-it-all asshats (the Time Masters) with a different group of know-it-all asshats (the Time Bureau). Way to think outside the box there, Rip. Seriously though, it's hard to put an faith in his group if somehow Julius Caesar can be plucked out of his own time and not only can't they fix it themselves they didn't even know it was happening until the Legends pointed it out. And given their punch-punch-kiss dynamic I would lays odds on Sara and Rip's Bureau lady hooking up by...oh, mid-season?

15 minutes ago, tofutan said:

What was the name of the big bad Rip and Ava were talking about? I didn't quite catch it. 

I didn't either but Proteus up-thread mentioned Malice so I'm going with that until someone tells me otherwise.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 2

I also don't know why Rip suddenly turned into a giant asshat. I get that he's always been stingy and serious, but he does remember how he's messed up time several times as well, right? I'm not sure what they're doing with him, but I don't like it. 

Also, they end Amaya/Nate offscreen? Why, exactly? Also, why were Sara and Ray working at mediocre jobs? Oliver would have gladly offered Sara a position at city hall which she might have enjoyed more than working retail, and Ray has connections that would also get him a slightly better job. 

I guess Ava and Sara are going to get together at some point?

The episode was still fun, but I found myself enjoying this premiere less than the others. I felt myself annoyed with how they didn't really deal with what they set up last season. 

On the plus side, Amaya's advancement in her power almost made the entire episode for me. 

• Love 2

Men In Black called-they want their memory-wipe device back lol

Like the Kid Flash appearance..should do a scene like this next episode where there could be cameos by Arrow or even Supergirl(itd be funny if she were seen fighting alongside Mick)

They need to make "Hot" Gideon a actual character on the show(similar to Rommie from Gene Rodenberry's Andromeda)

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, KirkB said:

I do find it a little odd the only thing Sara could find to do was the most boring possible kind of job for someone like her. Yeah, being dead twice doesn't look too good on a resume but in a world where masks are handed out like candy and crime seems to be rampant surely...ehh, I get it from a narrative perspective. If she'd found something interesting to do she'd have less reason to come back.

It's not entirely surprising. She's been declared dead twice, she's a college dropout who disappeared as a freshman in college, and she has a tendency to go missing for years at a time. Even someplace like Argus is going to bristle at that last part.

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Wow, what the hell is up with Rip this episode? I feel like something must have happened between him leaving and him creating his Time Bureau (I mean, obviously I guess) that made him act like such an asshole to his original team. I`m half convinced he got brainwashed again, he was acting so weird. Yeah they're a bunch of bumbling weirdos, but so is Rip! At least they admit it. Also, I miss Rips old outfit.

I don't consider Rip to be such a jerk. He's always been really critical of the Legends and their approach to things, especially in season 1. I think some of the issue is that it's a lot harder to be the boss. When having to make an objective assessment of his and the Legends previous actions, he's got to come down a little hard on the Legends. Their hearts are in the right place, but they are sloppy AF. It's why we love them, except for Nate who is a fuckwit.

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

You would think that Sara and Ray could have found something better to do, being a world famous engineer and a well trained assassin, respectively. I`m sure someone is about to destroy Star City you guys,

I wish Ray had been working for the Flarrowverse's version of Google's product labs or Uber's driverless car initiative. It would be a believable place for him to end up, but at the same time make Ray's obsession with miniaturizing things a very unwelcome distraction for their teams. Ray's all "I found a new way to miniaturize blah blah." And his boss could respond pretty much the same way as what we saw, but about driverless cars.

All that said, I love this show and am glad it's back. I couldn't stop laughing. 

• Love 7

I must really like Arthur Darvill, because even though Rip's turned into a big meanie I still think he's workin' that haircut.

And now I need a Legends tshirt with that new motto: "We screw things up for the better." Heh.

• Love 10

Never in the history of the DC Universe as there been anything more accurate then "We screw things up for the better."  That really is the Legends in the nutshell and I love them for it!

Wacky return as expected.  I had a feeling the big time fuck-up was going to be resolved soon, because I can't seem having dinosaurs roaming around the streets for long before destroying their budget, but I didn't predict it would be a Future Rip and this new "Time Bureau" that he has formed.  Basically trying to both be the new Time Masters (but not be completely evil) and the new Legends (without the screw-ups.)  You're no fun, Rip!  But I guess that is to be expected since he's been so critical of them in the past.  Still after his own shady antics in the first season and the way the Legends went out of the way to save him last season, it is still making him come off like a humorless dick.  Still, Arthur Darvill is having a ball in this role.  Too bad he's only going to be a special guest now, but hopefully he'll show back up.

Besides, this means that Captain Sara is now official, which I'm so down with!  She's still my favorite with all the flirty, snarky, and, of course, fight scenes that is shot in ways to make sure that every viewer knows that the majority of them are done by Caity Lotz herself.

At least Mick got to Aruba finally!  But of course he was going to rejoin the team at the end, because no nice beaches or petty larceny can ever match the thrills of drinking on a time-traveling ship and then toasting Nazis/Romans/Old-School Gangster/etc!  And I still love the relationship that has formed between Mick and Sara.

Glad Martin and Jax are sticking around too, but I have a feeling that something bad will happen to one of them, with the way they were talking about each other.

Nate continues to be an idiot, I see.  I suspect he lost the book when he was taking that stupid selfie with Caesar.  I only really enjoy him when he's with Ray, but even then, those two together still remind me how similar they are, but Ray just works better (which is something I never thought I would have said when he showed up on Arrow.)

Since Maisie Richardson-Sellers was still listed as a regular, I have to think Amaya will come back into play.

Another vote for them getting Gideon a robotic body/holographic body, because Amy Pemberton is gorgeous!

All the Caesar stuff was a hoot, especially with Simon Merrells playing him.  He's always awesome, but the fact that he played Crassus on Spartacus, really made this casting choice brilliant.

Welcome back, Legends of Tomorrow!  Can't wait to see what insane, batshit wackiness will be in store for this season!  

• Love 9

You would think that Sara and Ray could have found something better to do, being a world famous engineer and a well trained assassin, respectively. I`m sure someone is about to destroy Star City you guys, Team Arrow always needs backup! I guess being declared dead doesn't look great on a resume.

I'm willing to go with that she did try to contact Oliver and Company but wasn't able to since they were at Lian Yu.  As for Ray, leaving his company in Felicity's hand may not be the best business decision he made so no one was going to trust him to do something else to screw up.

Aaannd Legends picks right up where it left off. Being the most entertaining and fun Berlantiverse show. Loved all of it, except Nate not noticing Caesar stealing his book. 

HOW DO YOU NOT NOTICE A THICK HISTORY BOOK NOT BEING IN YOUR HANDS ANYMORE, NATE???

Sorry, had to vent.

I do appreciate them going to the trouble of explaining Caesar speaking english. That shit drove me nuts on shows like Stargate.  I wish they'd tried to emulate Spartacus' unique speech patterns, though. That show really managed to make english sound ancient and archaic simply by changing up the grammar rules a bit. It also would've been a nice nod, considering half the current recurring cast in the Berlantiverse is former Spartacus alumni. 

Edited by mrspidey
  • Love 10

I loved that Caesar was quoting Julius Caesar, and also, like US Grant before him (snicker), wound up giving leadership advice to Sara. 

I was surprised they used that long establishing shot of Star City.  Most of the time they do use the Boston skyline, but focused on the downtown cluster which isn't really instantly recognizable to those who aren't familiar with the city.  But this time they used that long aerial shot taken from out near the Fenway or Brookline, which brought in the most obvious towers on the skyline: the John Hancock and Prudential, which basically screamed "Hey, look at us!  Go Star City Red Sox!"

This episode was fun, but I was perturbed that, like Supergirl and The Flash, they spent an episode just to get things back together to the way they were.

• Love 2

Yeah, I didn't buy that Sara and especially Ray couldn't have gotten better jobs.  Though Sara's boss saying how hard it was to hire someone legally declared dead twice was pretty damn funny.

I don't get Asshole Rip either, who was one of the biggest screw-ups imaginable.  But the Time Bureau looks like a lot of fun and I suspect his right-hand woman will be Sara's new love interest.

• Love 2

Some random thoughts on an episode I really enjoyed:

- Mick, you big, hilarious lug, never change. You are 60% of the reason I watch this show. "He broke my NOSE!" And I loved his beer-clinking with Sara. He's back on the team again!

- I hate Rip's haircut, but even though he's come back as kind of a prick, I still love him.

- Even Gideon was happy to see the Legends back to work!

- Dorky Ray is the best Ray, and I still adore him. That is all.

- Loved Sara's daydreams about taking down the store manager. I was so happy when she took the captain's seat again. All was right in the Legend-verse at that moment.

- I have a down-deep fear that the family pull on Stein means we may lose him this season. I have to watch it again because I can't remember it offhand right now, but something he said last night rang my Cloister Bell of Doom. In the comics, did they make it possible for someone else to become the other half of Firestorm so Jax can stay? I love their relationship, btw.

- I didn't miss Amaya that much, but I'll be happy when she comes back. For me, that's a big change from the start of last season, when I didn't see her purpose at all. She's grown on me.

- Caesar was a great character; I wouldn't mind seeing him come back. 

- Nate is dumb and useless, and producers, I don't CARE that he has a bromance with Ray; Ray's just fine on his own. I still resent the fact that you're shoving Nate in my face when I should be watching Snart instead (I know, I know, it was Wentworth Miller's choice to leave, not the producers', but that doesn't change that fact that Nate serves no purpose on the ship that I can see other than to constantly screw things up whereas Snart brought his inimitable Snart-ness to the crew and actually helped move plots along. And he was capable. As mrspidey said, how stupid is Nate that he didn't realize the BIG HEAVY BOOK he was carrying and so idiotically showed Caesar is NO LONGER IN HIS HANDS?????). He's the one fly in the show's ointment for me. Go away forever, Nate.

- I love that Legends continues to embrace its bonkers-ness. It's what makes my Tuesday nights so special. Can't wait for next week!

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 7

- I love that Legends continues to embrace its bonkers-ness. It's what makes my Tuesday nights so special. Can't wait for next week!

I agree with this although I miss the Legends being on Thursday night.  It was the perfect kind of fun show to begin winding down my work week with.

Considering the Time Lords have been wiped out, I don't see how the time ship is Time Bureau property.  Even if Rip is still alive.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kirinan said:

- I have a down-deep fear that the family pull on Stein means we may lose him this season. I have to watch it again because I can't remember it offhand right now, but something he said last night rang my Cloister Bell of Doom. In the comics, did they make it possible for someone else to become the other half of Firestorm so Jax can stay? I love their relationship, btw.

Was it the line about Stein staying on the ship because he'll make sure to make it home in time for his grandchild's birth? Because that was the line that made me think: "Well, you're not making it home to your family, then." Which really does suck because Stein really wanted to be with his family, and he's only staying to make Jax happy. The Legends helped him create the family he never had, with his daughter. Now, it seems like Stein wants something like that for Jax, for him to be as happy as he is. 

Personally, I'd rather they found a way to split Jax and Stein so Stein can stay with his family and Jax can stay on the ship, if they really are thinking of getting rid of Stein. 

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Was it the line about Stein staying on the ship because he'll make sure to make it home in time for his grandchild's birth? Because that was the line that made me think: "Well, you're not making it home to your family, then." Which really does suck because Stein really wanted to be with his family, and he's only staying to make Jax happy. The Legends helped him create the family he never had, with his daughter. Now, it seems like Stein wants something like that for Jax, for him to be as happy as he is. 

Personally, I'd rather they found a way to split Jax and Stein so Stein can stay with his family and Jax can stay on the ship, if they really are thinking of getting rid of Stein. 

Yes! That was the line, Lady Calypso, thank you! It just seemed so anvilicious. And if they could split the two so they can both survive, that would make me so happy. I don't want anything to happen to any of them. Except Nate. And even him I don't want dead; I just want him gone.

• Love 2
Just now, kirinan said:

Except Nate. And even him I don't want dead; I just want him gone.

For me, I just want Nate to be different to Ray. When Nate is annoyed or serious, I actually like him. He makes me think that he's not just another Ray. 

• Love 1

The problem with splitting Stein and Jax is that the Firestorm matrix, the literal core of their powers, is part of Stein, and it needs to bond with someone else to keep it from going critical. It is the other half which can vary, first Ronnie Raymond and now Jax. So unless the matrix can somehow be taken out of Stein and put into Jax or someone else there is no way to have Stein leave the show and survive. I suppose, Stein could die (maybe blowing up a bad guy or something) and Jax could survive to be the ship's mechanic rather than a superhero, but that would suck for both Stein's family and Jax. If Victor Garber is planning to leave I hope they come with some way to send Stein home alive and well.

Nate is still a dork who annoys me, and I think his suit looks goofy. Why does a guy who turns into metal need armor?

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, kirinan said:

Some random thoughts on an episode I really enjoyed:

- Mick, you big, hilarious lug, never change. You are 60% of the reason I watch this show. "He broke my NOSE!" And I loved his beer-clinking with Sara. He's back on the team again!

- I hate Rip's haircut, but even though he's come back as kind of a prick, I still love him.

- Even Gideon was happy to see the Legends back to work!

- Dorky Ray is the best Ray, and I still adore him. That is all.

- Loved Sara's daydreams about taking down the store manager. I was so happy when she took the captain's seat again. All was right in the Legend-verse at that moment.

- I didn't miss Amaya that much, but I'll be happy when she comes back. For me, that's a big change from the start of last season, when I didn't see her purpose at all. She's grown on me.

- Caesar was a great character; I wouldn't mind seeing him come back. 

- Nate is dumb and useless, and producers, I don't CARE that he has a bromance with Ray; Ray's just fine on his own. I still resent the fact that you're shoving Nate in my face when I should be watching Snart instead (I know, I know, it was Wentworth Miller's choice to leave, not the producers', but that doesn't change that fact that Nate serves no purpose on the ship that I can see other than to constantly screw things up whereas Snart brought his inimitable Snart-ness to the crew and actually helped move plots along. And he was capable. As mrspidey said, how stupid is Nate that he didn't realize the BIG HEAVY BOOK he was carrying and so idiotically showed Caesar is NO LONGER IN HIS HANDS?????). He's the one fly in the show's ointment for me. Go away forever, Nate.

I’m late to the party but Kirinan covered everything I wanted to say so it’s all good. About the only thing I would add is that Nate did have one redeeming moment when he coined their new motto (“Sometimes we screw things up for the better!”) Beyond that, he’s a useless drag on the team and I want him gone. ETA: why did Nate even have to drag that big heavy book with him into the past anyway? Couldn’t he have taken a tricorder equivalent to check that history was back on track? Or used the comms that we see everyone use all the time? Ugh. Nate is just the worst.

Also, Rip needs more hair. Even though he seems to have reverted back to asshole Rip, I still like him. Mostly because I heart Arthur Darvill so very much. I love how Rip conveniently left out his part in the Legends’ oopsies (putting them together in the first place, helping the Legion get the Spear while brainwashed, participating in aforementioned breaking of time). If we could only get him and WM back as regulars and ditch Nate, I’d be happy.

Clever way to write in DP’s accident (“You broke my nose! It’s my best feature!”) He makes Mick a hell of a lot more fun than he really has any right to be. I love that crazy, fire-loving bastard!

Can’t wait for next week! Supergirl is the only other Berlanti show I watch, and i’ve been kind of meh on it for awhile now. Legends has officially become the show that makes my week.

Edited by Maelstrom
Thought of another reason Nate sucks
  • Love 3

Great to have this show back.  I loved the moments with Sarah and Mick. And Mick using the Roman gold coin in the vending machine.  Also kind of nice for the Time Bureau to have a vending machine in the lobby, despite the fact that they're a bunch of smug arrogant bastards.

14 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Why would Sara work retail? A former assassin should not be dealing with customers, especially if she’s day dreaming about killing her boss brutally.

Eh, find me a retail employee who doesn't dream of killing someone.

6 hours ago, mrspidey said:

I do appreciate them going to the trouble of explaining Caesar speaking english. That shit drove me nuts on shows like Stargate.

That tends to annoy me too, but I thought they did a good job with a throwaway line, although I thought they established that the Legends have some kind of Universal Translator for all their missions.

6 hours ago, mrspidey said:

HOW DO YOU NOT NOTICE A THICK HISTORY BOOK NOT BEING IN YOUR HANDS ANYMORE, NATE???

Yeah.  I half expected him to say "Here hold this" hand Caesar the book then walk off and forget it.  Definitely the weak point on the show.

2 hours ago, kirinan said:

My thoughts exactly.

• Love 5

Jax is two years away from his masters... Cool... I hope they give him a bit more to do like expand on his brotherly relationship with Sara or maybe finally give him a LI...nit that I'd enjoy it all that much but just to be fair.. Still wish they would just made him a Brit so he could use his accent... 

• Love 2

The show keeps portraying Nate as a frat boy idiot instead of the sheltered historian he's supposed to be.  And for a historian he messes up the appropriate language for the time period and takes selfies with historical figures after they used the memory wipe thing. Those annoy me as well as we already have Ray. We don't need 2 of him.

Mick is a known character so he will get more slack from fans because they are well fans of his. 

• Love 4

Really loved the return of the show. I think breaking time was a good direction to take the show. Historical figures being fish out of water is going to be fun.  I loved Caesar!

Glad to see everyone back but Nate. I don't know why but he bothered me this season. Perhaps its because he's the writers' forced addition. He is the only one who got to be doing something hero related. And it seems like we will have to deal with lingering Nate/Amaya drama since it was a major thread throughout the episode. I thought we were in the clear because they broke up offscreen. He still an idiot and I hate idiots! You lost the book, this is your fault own up to it.

The Legends - Excited that Rory made it to Aruba, glad Caesar found him. I wonder if the anacharanisms (or whatever they are) are connected to the Legends in someway and will find them. Honestly, I loved seeing Sara, Ray & Stein back in good form. Amaya was cool in her little cameo. I pray the writers find a way to not make her whole season about Nate. Really hope they find something for Jax this season, he really is underrated. He deserves more than just the engineer they use to fix the ship.

Spoiler

I do really think they are setting up Stein to want to head home for his quickly approaching grandchild. Also love how that eliminates the ability for Lily to join them. Touche writers! There are reports/rumours that VG wants off the show for a bit. And I think him leaving to spend time with his family is the perfect way to do it. I know they have to separate him from the core or whatever that bonds him to Jax. But with the access to the future now with the TB perhaps they can find a safe way to do it. I don't want to see VG leave the show ever, but if he must go, I prefer him alive so he can come back for special visits when VG schedule permits. But if they seriously don't find something interesting to do with Jax, I'm content with both characters wanting to be in Central City permanently.

Time Bureau - total MIB rip-off but I loved their cocky condescension. I think they will make a good sparring partner for Legends. Hopefully they have no nefarious underbody.

Rip - I missed him! Loved his new hairdo. I think this is a good spot for AD, if he wants to lessen his role on the show. It keeps him in the mix without needing to be onscreen. Also he totally left behind stuff for Rory to easily swipe/find. While I think he's disappointed with the Legends breaking time, I believe he does want them to be a part of fixing it, he just can't fold that easily in front of the TB. He knows the Legends value.

Random thoughts -1. Swiping up/down is more intuitive, although do we really need anymore dating apps? 2. Thanks for the linguistic time displacement explanation, easy way out of needing to learn more languages or read subtitles (which is a good thing for these writers and their budget).

Criticisms -

-Did not like that they threw Felicity under the bus as a "woman" that ran RP company to the ground. Seriously subtle misogyny is still misogynistic and unnecessary. They could have let that snub out of the script and still given RP his funny man moment of being a man with a vision stuck at an App company. I was seriously disappointed they went for sexism in the first few minutes. Why do the LoT writers feel the need to highlight one of the stupidest "for plot purposes" moments/decisions Arrow? I hope it does NOT mean some of Arrow writers stupidity and lack of creativity is gonna start showing up on LoT.

-Sara's job was also illogical, and would have preferred they find something boring but at least realistic. Although back on the Arrow forum we used to joke that Nanda Parbat was a big Bath & Beyond/Pier 1 with all the pillows & candles - so maybe it was the writers' attempt at an inside joke. It fell flat on it's face, but at least we only had to deal with it for a few scenes. She should have just been a bartender, that at least is something she is qualified for. And we could have still got some nice fantasy moments.

-Nate still sucks, and why does he get a Wally cameo? I didn't not need budget dollars wasted on his little side crime fighting intro. I really think the writers have forgotten that he was a historian. He's written as a cliche dumb spoiled brat idiot. Can't the actor find another project he wants to leave for? I have to suffer losing other far more talented and interesting characters, while Nate just sticks around like a bad air freshener they give out a car wash.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

I did complain about Rip acting like an asshole. I even said he was one of the bad guys that the Legends were trying to stop from changing time last season.  I've never been a big fan of his. 

Mick losing Caesar was dumb, but that is in character and expected from him. Plus I was angry that he betrayed the team last season because his feelings with hurt. He gets to make fun of everyone and call them stupid but no one can say that about him. 

My issue with Nate is I don't see any traces of a sheltered studious kid in Nate. He went from 0 to 100 with nothing in between. Nate is just not a fun character for me. It's got nothing to do with him being new. But you do like him so good for you, we all like and enjoy and different things. People are fans of Mick, people are fans of Nate. 

• Love 2

Just remembered that Lily said that she was on sabbatical in Rome. I wonder if it was just a coincidence or if it was a hidden pearl that writers were dropping in the episode for later. I find it a little suspect that in an episode devoted to Caesar we have Lily (the original time travel mistake) spending time in JC's old turf. Plus we have a secret boyfriend and sudden pregnancy. I can't help but wonder if these clues lead to something. Perhaps related to Malice...

Or my mind could just be on overdrive.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, LJones41 said:

As a history buff, it's nice to see a historian on a show about time travelers.  It makes damn sense, as well.  But since he managed to have sex with Amaya, instead of Mick, I guess I'm expected to dislike him as well.

I don't dislike him because of Amaya. I honestly, just dislike romances on LoT because I think it's never written well. If Amaya & Mick had slept together, I probably would have felt the same about them. The main cast has a lot of chemistry with each other, I just don't think any of it translates as romantic or hook-up chemistry.

I dislike him because he's not written or acted well. He is played for the idiot or the fool. (And the show already has Mick & Ray, which are better suited for that type of comedy). He might be a historian, but the writers do not let him be a good historian. Sometimes, I think they forget that before he became anything, he was a historian. And that is what frustrates me most. I think having a historian on the show makes a whole lot of sense, which is why I never understood why they are writing him as the Dumb Bro for his silly bra moments. He bungles most of the "historian needed" aspects/moments of the show. I just think there is the potential for more depth with the character and the writers/actor squander it for the cheap and easy jokes or cliche moments.

• Love 5

What on Earth have they done with Rip? He treated his old team with such contempt, it went way overboard for me. I seriously found the character more likeable when he was brainwashed evil.   

I need to either see some serious explanation beyond "last five years I created the Time Bureau - and learned to outright hate all of you, Legends" or see that as an agenda/act. Otherwise, I consider the character ruined for practically no reason.

• Love 1

I only started watching this show because of Arthur Darvill. I stayed for Rip, Ray and Snart. Now Rip is no longer a regular, we have a bad clone of Ray Palmer in the form of Nate and Snart is dead. This episode wasn't bad but it made me sad because I can see how they are writing Rip Hunter out of the show. The Waverider was his ship, he has been a time traveller his whole life and now he doesn't care? I might stop watching.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kismet said:

Did not like that they threw Felicity under the bus as a "woman" that ran RP company to the ground. Seriously subtle misogyny is still misogynistic and unnecessary. They could have let that snub out of the script and still given RP his funny man moment of being a man with a vision stuck at an App company. I was seriously disappointed they went for sexism in the first few minutes. Why do the LoT writers feel the need to highlight one of the stupidest "for plot purposes" moments/decisions Arrow? I hope it does NOT mean some of Arrow writers stupidity and lack of creativity is gonna start showing up on LoT.

I think the idea is that Ray's boss was a bit of a misogynist, despite (or maybe because of) creating a dating/sex app.  While it's harsh, it's a pretty fair description of what happened in season 4 of Arrow.  Team Arrow was constantly trying to deal with Darkh and Felicity tended to put off dealing with corporate matters in favor of that.  Granted that trying to stop the magical, super-powered madman from slaughtering most of humanity was ultimately more important than boosting Palmertech on the stock market, it still broke down that Ray gave his company to Felicity and she kind of ran it into the ground by ignoring its needs in favor of other goals.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, johntfs said:

I think the idea is that Ray's boss was a bit of a misogynist, despite (or maybe because of) creating a dating/sex app.  While it's harsh, it's a pretty fair description of what happened in season 4 of Arrow.  Team Arrow was constantly trying to deal with Darkh and Felicity tended to put off dealing with corporate matters in favor of that.  Granted that trying to stop the magical, super-powered madman from slaughtering most of humanity was ultimately more important than boosting Palmertech on the stock market, it still broke down that Ray gave his company to Felicity and she kind of ran it into the ground by ignoring its needs in favor of other goals.

It was run into the ground for a variety of reasons as you listed some - none of which had to do with her being a "woman". They should have just said that he gave it to someone that ran it into the ground. Bringing up her gender was not a good choice on the writers part. that's the misogynistic part. It only helps to add to current beliefs held in the world and in the Flarrowverse that woman are not capable of being good leaders or running a business. Which is absolute bollocks. And honestly I'm disappointed in the writers choice, because it added nothing to the characters or the situation - it just made me think less of the writing.

And logistically, Palmertech failed because the Arrow writers didn't and have never really known how to write a successful plot around running a business. Once they lost Moira & Walter, there was no interest in writing a business subplot. And they needed to recycle the PT set for another show. The Arrow writers had almost no interest in writing a plotline for Felicity outside of the cave as a successful business woman. It was going to fail from the beginning because nobody was invested in the success of that plotline outside of Felicity fans. 

A dating/sex app is really just commonplace banal IT thing. It seems like there is a new one everyday. I had no problem with the dating app.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, kismet said:

It was run into the ground for a variety of reasons as you listed some - none of which had to do with her being a "woman". They should have just said that he gave it to someone that ran it into the ground. Bringing up her gender was not a good choice on the writers part. that's the misogynistic part. It only helps to add to current beliefs held in the world and in the Flarrowverse that woman are not capable of being good leaders or running a business. Which is absolute bollocks. And honestly I'm disappointed in the writers choice, because it added nothing to the characters or the situation - it just made me think less of the writing.

I liked the misogyny because it showed the boss to be even more the tool that he was.  If he'd said "gave the company to someone" it makes his criticism of Ray seem valid.  This way we see this guy's dismissal of Felicity as a kind of proof that his opinions are worthless, that Ray is wasting his time working in a place and for a person with no sense of vision or good judgement.  Someone who thinks innovation is found in "swiping up" rather than in something that could easily change the course of human history.   It shows how Ray doesn't belong here and needs to get back to the Legends because as is, he's working for a misogynist moron.

• Love 3

I love that Sara knew the trick from her time working retail. And the boss was hilarious with the "declared dead twice" and "Freckles." I liked it. I continue to hold low expectations that are easily surpassed. Mick is great. "Your salad sucks." Nice ending for Martin and Jax. I call bullshit on Nate being second most popular hero in Central City, even while Barry was gone.

Damn, that Amaya moment at the end was so badass it almost made me forget that it was a little violent for her. 

• Love 5