Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Finding Joy's Dress

mythoughtis
  • Start Topic

21 hours ago, orangeiguana said:

This is a popular bride move, like she just won a boxing match, and it's SO unflattering and inelegant.

It reminds me (back in the day) of the vapid women who went to college just to get a MRS degree.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, ariel said:

It reminds me (back in the day) of the vapid women who went to college just to get a MRS degree.

Well, see now. The Duggars do so much better than this. They don't even have to go to college to get one! They barely even have to learn to read! No wonder Joy's so excited. 

• Love 9
On 9/25/2017 at 8:47 PM, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Joy has no personality. She's so lame! If you don't care, don't care, don't care, can't decide, never thought about it, and don't care, then just frigging pick one at random and end the misery. And preferably pick any dress except the one you did pick, which was the worst. She is by far my least favorite of the older girls.

I loved when they tried to ask JD another one of those "you must be an idiot if you don't know what this specialized vocabulary term means" question about A-line dresses, and he just said "I don't care." Nor should you, JD! 

Watching people shoot skeet is even more boring than shooting skeet. I'd just as soon watch someone play Duck Hunt on NES.

I mean, at least Duck Hunt has that laughing dog...

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Not everybody responds to things in the same way, obviously... But ... do you really think that Jessa knows herself and knows what she really really wants out of life? Do you really think Jessa speaks her own mind or ever actually stands up to the law of Gothard, in any detail? She can be a mean girl -- but isn't it pretty much always in defense of her parents' ideas and her parents' ideas only? And we've heard from a lot of people that when she's out among people other than her long-term intimates, she comes across as a massive scaredy cat -- which doesn't really seem to go with her natural personality. So there's some of her cognitive dissonance. 

I've often said I don't really think we know these kids at all.  Any of them.  I think once they are married or a certain age, it appears that they're trying on different personalities to see what fits.  They don't know themselves who they are or who they want to be.

PS. Bossy, bitchy and shy are not mutually exclusive.  Speaking as a shy person who has been told I'm bossy and way too sarcastic once you get to know me.

• Love 15

Don't think this has been mentioned yet.  Did Joy say she was going barefoot?  I guess she was following in her sister mom's (Jill's) footsteps.  

I agree with the poster who said it was a shame Jill couldn't have been involved with the planning. I think it would have put Joy more at ease.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, see now. The Duggars do so much better than this. They don't even have to go to college to get one! They barely even have to learn to read! No wonder Joy's so excited. 

Buy used & save the cost. ;)

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

She wore sandals. You could see them when she came down the stairs from where she got ready. I think they were those hideous gladiator ones we'd seen her in before, so she didn't even get NEW sandals to

10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

She wore sandals. You could see them when she came down the stairs from where she got ready. I think they were those hideous gladiator ones we'd seen her in before, so she didn't even get NEW sandals to wear. 

Thanks for the explanation.  I guess those gladiator things are better than bare feet but I'm not too sure . Aren't they tan? She couldn't have picked out a pair of simple white flats?? 

• Love 1
On 9/25/2017 at 8:04 PM, Sew Sumi said:

What made Jenni cry? They're all over this on FJ. I'm assuming someone (probably Mechelle) triggered Jenni into remembering that Joy is leaving. 

Because Jenni's mommy is leaving and not taking her?

• Love 7
On 9/27/2017 at 10:26 PM, loloandco said:

Or maybe TLC is just toying with us...

Probably Michaela Bates (Keilen) or another friend, since we do know they text their friends. The producers thought they were being mysterious by showing it, though. Poor Jana. I don't feel bad for her that she's single and 27, because in the real world that's typical and normal, but I know all too well from personal experience how much she feels tied down because of her siblings depending on her. Poor Jenny is left with one sister mom and Jana knows the burden's all on her now.

On 9/28/2017 at 11:58 AM, xwordfanatik said:

I'm still waiting for Jinjer to wear pants on the show.  She wears them in real life, so why not?  Because of Boob and Ma Kettle?  Or is it written in her contract that she can't be herself?  What horseshit.

I don't think it's just to please Boob. Again, speaking from personal experience, Jinger remembers how she used to feel looking at outside women who wore pants. They were something OTHER, and a bit shocking and foreign. I don't think she wants her four youngest sisters suddenly feeling that way about her, like she's turned into someone else. Just my two cents. Or, maybe Boob has paid her off. That could be too.

On 9/28/2017 at 8:46 PM, Barb23 said:

Don't think this has been mentioned yet.  Did Joy say she was going barefoot?  I guess she was following in her sister mom's (Jill's) footsteps.  

I agree with the poster who said it was a shame Jill couldn't have been involved with the planning. I think it would have put Joy more at ease.

Apparently Austin had the common sense to say he didn't want her barefoot, but it also gives me a bit of an icky feeling regarding possible controlling tendencies. It may just have been the way Joy phrased it. But really, how do they think of these things? Leaving aside how trashy Jill's dirty bare feet looked, why would you want to risk stepping on something gross or sharp? 

On 9/28/2017 at 9:58 PM, humbleopinion said:

Austin didn't want his bride to be barefoot and pregnant...just knocked up was cliched enough...

She's pregnant now, but I don't buy into the silliness about her being pregnant before the wedding. They were very much playing things by the book, in my opinion.

• Love 6

I couldn't get through this episode. Way too boring. I ended up fast forwarding through it after I set it to DVR. I'm not sure how the show is going to survive the next couple of years. Yes, the older girls will continue to have babies- all but Jinger, for awhile. But there probably won't be any more weddings for awhile after they show Joe and Kendra's. I can't see John David wanting any part of courtship and wedding being shown on TLC. Josiah would go along with it but I think he hasn't yet gotten over Marjorie.

• Love 3

I gotta get to bed and can’t read all 3 pages right now, so if this idea has already been floated, please forgive me:

Who else thanks Joy was already pregnant and feeling guilty, secretive and possibly a bit nauseous w morning sickness?

Add that to a plane ride, a general distaste for shopping and the realization that her life’s peak experience is about to occur, and d expect any young man to be sullen and disinterested.  

• Love 3

And let's not forget kids,  in the wedding special. Joy was asking Austin how she should wear her hair  - on the day of the wedding!!  Way to think ahead there, Joy.  I swear, arranged marriage mail order brides are more excited about their weddings than Joy was...  

• Love 3
14 hours ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

I gotta get to bed and can’t read all 3 pages right now, so if this idea has already been floated, please forgive me:

Who else thanks Joy was already pregnant and feeling guilty, secretive and possibly a bit nauseous w morning sickness?

Add that to a plane ride, a general distaste for shopping and the realization that her life’s peak experience is about to occur, and d expect any young man to be sullen and disinterested.  

I think it's possible (and had written a "speculative" post about morning sickness a little while back, but I also think it's far from probable. just that she is showing way more than average even for having conceived on her honeymoon. 

I'm still on this segment and I can barely stomach another minute. 

Joy just wants to wear a jean skirt and jump into the marital bed with her best friend. She is more immature and indecisive than a soon-to-be mom should be. Austin will be calling the shots and making every decision in their home.

She may think it's cute, romantic, and loving now, but just wait a while.. 

• Love 2
On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 9:28 AM, HahYallDoin said:

I nearly lost my eyeballs last night from rolling them so much! I just cannot take one more utterance of 'I don't know' when it comes to a dress, cake and decorations from a woman who does know what she wants to happen on her special day and has repeated it a few times. She wants to have a 30 second ceremony and a drive-by reception so she can hurry to bed with her husband. I don't blame her on that front, we've all felt that way but some of us are a little less obvious about it. Yes, I know all about how she was raised in the cult but when she has no problem alluding to her impatience to bed her husband, her dumb act of 'I don't know' reads of 'I don't care/know and I'm not going to attempt to know. I hate shopping so rather than engage and get the train moving, I'll make like a slug and drag this crap out. I won't make a decision but when y'all try to make one for me, i.e. the sisters proclaiming the first dress was fabulous on her, I'll shoot it down and try on another 5. I enjoy the attention, just like any other woman planning a wedding does, but I'm not going to admit it. I'll play it passive-aggressively.' I just can't with Joy anymore. 

Did you see how unaffected Joy was when Meechelle shared her feelings about Joy? Joy's face was blank but once the others began sharing, her demeanor changed and she began to get emotional. That exchange with Meechelle just reinforced the common belief that the children are much more attached to their sister moms than the baby maker. Further case in point when Jenni fell apart, poor little thing. 

I was so proud of JD for speaking his truth of not giving a damn what an A-Line is. Of course he isn't female so he doesn't have to keep sweet but still. 

Poor Joe, drawing a triangle in the air and proclaiming it a rectangle. That SOTDRT sure failed him there. 

I was team Grandma all day long at Ms. Renee's. She, no doubt, has to fortify her spirits, with some spirits, as someone else stated, just to be able to handle this crowd. I loved how she was over the *hit show and began pointing out dresses her damn self. And it worked. You go Grandma, wielding that fake red rose like a magic wand! 

There was another scene that reminded us all that the Duggars are self absorbed, inconsiderate dolts. Joy showed up for the day rocking hair that looked like it hadn't been washed in a couple of days and she'd forgotten to even brush it this day. This freaking dress shopping required a plane ride but chick couldn't be bothered to do anything with the mop on her head. Mrs. Renee only has a business to run, don't worry about dragging this out even longer and wasting her time. Never fear though, Jessa travels with husband, two littles and a curling iron. So, time had to be taken out of the appointment for Jessa to curl Joy's hair to help them get a better grasp of the whole picture. Good on you, Jessa, for taking charge but perhaps Joy should have forgone her damn eggs that morning for breakfast, washed her tresses and just grabbed a granola bar as they left home. Very immature of her but to be expected at her age, I suppose. A clear indication she isn't ready to marry, have a honeymoon baby and be expected to raise a child when she has moments of acting like one herself. 

Gosh, it might sound harsh but I just had to get it out. You know, cleanse my soul so I can have room to absorb more BS on next weeks episode LOL 

Not much difference from wedding day.   That hair trial was a complete waste of time.   

Let's talk about wedding cakes. We never see the couples worry about the price. That is something almost every couple talks over. Because the cake price can get out of hand quickly.  Now these are the people that say buy used and save the difference and live in thrift stores, but never worry about the cake price or the dress price.  Not even glance at the cost.

• Love 7
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:51 PM, MsJamieDornan said:

Let's talk about wedding cakes. We never see the couples worry about the price. That is something almost every couple talks over. Because the cake price can get out of hand quickly.  Now these are the people that say buy used and save the difference and live in thrift stores, but never worry about the cake price or the dress price.  Not even glance at the cost.

Unlike the rest of us heathens, the price of the cake was most likely paid for by TLC.  The Duggars are proud to do things a little different than the rest of us. ;)

Edited by ariel
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, ariel said:

Unlike the rest of us heathens, the price of the cake was most likely paid for by TLC.  The Duggars are proud to do things a little different than the rest of us. ;)

Oh yes.  But we aren't supposes to know that,,are we ?

• Love 3
On 9/26/2017 at 11:50 PM, kalamac said:

Are we sure she was sad about losing Joy and not just realizing that in a few years time, she might be forced into becoming a teen bride.

Or sad that she's going to be the default mother once Jana eventually gets married and flies the coop?

• Love 3