Type keyword(s) to search

Barefoot Contessa in the Media: Whipping Up Some Publicity

• Start Topic

According to the Eater article, Contessa - the pre-existing company through which Ina's line was produced (which, as I recall, came about as essentially a settlement to avoid litigation), and which Ina tried to buy - went out of business last year, then was bought by this OFI company that she's suing for putting out this new "Contessa Chef Inspired" line.

I checked at the grocery store today, and they are selling Barefoot Contessa, Contessa Chef Inspired, and Contessa frozen meals all in one area. The Contessa brand is on sale this week. Barefoot Contessa and Contessa Chef Inspired are selling for the same price, $7.69/bag. All 3 are produced and distributed by Contessa Premium Foods in California. I almost care enough to look at the law suit to see what the injury is to the Barefoot Contessa brand - with the emphasis on almost.

Has anyone seen any new BC shows lately, or haven't there been any?  I stopped looking for new ones a while back because even with her new book out and a couple of new episodes, more new episodes didn't seem to be coming.  Hence, I don't watch Ina anymore unless there happens to be an old one that I particularly liked.  This is such a departure from the old days when I wouldn't have missed a BC episode for anything.

Besides my question (above), I'm also wondering how others on this thread feel.  Are you still watching Ina's reruns every day?  If not, how often?  Finally, have you heard anything about new episodes in the future?  Thanks, everybody.

I was in the store last night (Safeway) and also saw the Barefoot Contessa dinners right alongside the Contessa Chef Inspired. They were both on sale for $5.99. It looked like the recipes were different than Ina's but the similarity in the packaging is striking.

The Safeway I visited today used to carry the Barefoot Contessa brand for $7.99 -- now it has only the Contessa Chef Inspired brand, on sale for $4.99 through the end of March (the tags on the shelf said that the product was the Barefoot Contessa brand & I might have pointed out that error had there been any staff around).  It wasn't possible to compare the ingredients, but the package weights were the same & looked identical except for a picture of a younger & thinner woman with longer brunette hair (like this).  I tried the Barefoot Contessa scampi when it was on sale last year & liked it, so I'll probably try this new brand's version before the sale ends (shrimp & garlic, how bad could that be, especially for $5?).

Edited by 3pwood

Has anyone seen any new BC shows lately, or haven't there been any?  I stopped looking for new ones a while back because even with her new book out and a couple of new episodes, more new episodes didn't seem to be coming.  Hence, I don't watch Ina anymore unless there happens to be an old one that I particularly liked.  This is such a departure from the old days when I wouldn't have missed a BC episode for anything.

Besides my question (above), I'm also wondering how others on this thread feel.  Are you still watching Ina's reruns every day?  If not, how often?  Finally, have you heard anything about new episodes in the future?  Thanks, everybody.

I actually came to the thread to see what has happened to the show -- I have not been watching much, but have checked on a few Saturdays to see if there is a new show.  Part of the reason I am watching less is that the Food Network is so full of crap, and I discovered the channel "Create" a few months ago, so that is now the default channel I have on (real cooking, real good, no commercials).  I used to have the Food Network in the background all the time, but it is unwatchable now.  I would still watch favorite BC shows if they are on. 

• Love 2

The Safeway I visited today used to carry the Barefoot Contessa brand for $7.99 -- now it has only the Contessa Chef Inspired brand, on sale for $4.99 through the end of March (the tags on the shelf said that the product was the Barefoot Contessa brand & I might have pointed out that error had there been any staff around).  It wasn't possible to compare the ingredients, but the package weights were the same & looked identical except for a picture of a younger & thinner woman with longer brunette hair (like this).  I tried the Barefoot Contessa scampi when it was on sale last year & liked it, so I'll probably try this new brand's version before the sale ends (shrimp & garlic, how bad could that be, especially for $5?).

What you did there.  I see it.

• Love 1

Every time that tidbit about her shents is repeated, my mind is boggled anew; they'd be boring and unflattering enough off the rack, but to have them custom made?

But at least they're not distracting to me, since all I want Ina - or any host - to do is stand there and cook good food, so I generally don't care what someone is wearing.  Those flood water pants of hers, however ... those take me right out of any scene where we see her full length.  I'm no fashion police, so if I'm actually noticing a poor wardrobe choice, it's bad.

• Love 2

I think Ina's shirts are a solution to how she can stay in the background and let the food be the focus. I heard somewhere that the original shirt was from Eileen Fisher, a purveyor of very expensive but sort of shapeless clothing. Ina decided that this one shirt was the be all, end all, so she took it to a tailor to have it duplicated in every color they could think of. The pants, I have never heard any explanation for.

I just hope she wears those shirts because they're comfortable and she likes the way she looks in them.  If she's wearing them because she thinks she has to hide her shape since she doesn't meet some narrow standard of what's acceptable, that would be too bad (and counter-productive).  That's pretty much the extent of my caring - except for being amazed someone would go to such lengths to acquire something so basic; it's like finding out someone has white cotton briefs tailor made.

It's hard for a busty woman to find a button-down shirt that stays closed at the bust, particularly when moving around cooking.  If I could afford it, I would have dozens custom made in every colour. As it is, I've simply given up on blouses. 

I just hope she wears those shirts because they're comfortable and she likes the way she looks in them.  If she's wearing them because she thinks she has to hide her shape since she doesn't meet some narrow standard of what's acceptable, that would be too bad (and counter-productive).  That's pretty much the extent of my caring - except for being amazed someone would go to such lengths to acquire something so basic; it's like finding out someone has white cotton briefs tailor made.

Many people featured on the "People of Walmart" website would agree : ) However I like Ina's no fuss, down to business style (minus the ninja pants). 

Geez...those highwater pants crack me up every time I see them (and she's usually wearing white socks, right? or something like that).  I was just thinking about Ina yesterday and how much I've enjoyed the BC shows over the years...way more than any other cooking show on TV.  And it's because the show isn't all about her; it's about the food she's preparing or the flowers she's showing us how to arrange or the attractive table she's setting.  Wearing her dark shents, Ina doesn't draw attention to herself...but only to whatever she's working on.  There are a few others (e.g., Sara Moulton, Lydia B., Martha) who quietly show us how to cook/bake/decorate, etc., and the show isn't all about them.  Ina, IMO, is the best at it.  But Ina...girlfriend...ya gotta lower dem pants!

• Love 5
(edited)

Four days after Ina filed her lawsuit, the case was settled.  No word on any damages awarded.

I'm one of many who used to get bent all out of shape over Ina's clothes.  Now, they don't bother me at all.  I think, originally, I wondered honestly how someone could go on television and cook, looking like that.  If she hadn't had a food show, I don't think I'd have paid any attention.  Now, though, it just doesn't matter to me.  If her clothes are clean and her hands are clean, why should I worry about her style?  If she's happy, I'm happy.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

My aunt is shaped/sized like Ina and has been wearing high-waters just like Ina's for decades. I've pointed them out to her. She looks down and doesn't see it. She even looks in mirrors. Doesn't see it. So, it's possible Ina has been told and refuses, for whatever reason, to see it. Based on a lot of other women on TV, I'd much rather see Ina's white-socked ankles and big shirts than her boobs hanging out everywhere. 

• Love 1

That one surprises me a bit.  I don't think Ina is great as host of a cooking show, even though I love her food.  I figured either Vivian Howard or Pete Evans would win.

In the in-studio TV program category, I'm glad Martha Stewart's Cooking School won, although I was kind of hoping for a tie between that and Sara's Weeknight Meals.  It’s kind of funny that, in that category, none of the hosts of the nominated programs were themselves nominated, and none of the programs hosted by the nominated hosts were up for best program.

I just watched a segment about Ina on 'Sunday Morning'.  Nothing about her that I haven't seen before, but I was still happy to see it.  I did like her comment (although I've heard it before, so I'm sure it isn't original to her)  about the purpose of cupcakes being a delivery system for the icing.

• Love 1

Sounds like the new episode Saturday is a one-off. I saw it advertised as a "special".

Yes, that's what I think too. It just randomly showed up on my DVR and it is only airing this week and not next week.  I really wish Ina would do a whole new season of shows.  She is truly one of the few real chefs left on FN. I have started recording some old BC episodes and I just love watching her cook, even if it's a show I've seen 10 times.  I love the music, the house, the recipes, Jeffrey, the friends, the Hamptons, the table settings, the flowers, just everything!  Oh well, I guess the LA special (which, according to the description, includes a lot of Ina's celebrity friends cooking with her- not so excited about that) will have to do.  

• Love 3

FN site is listing it as a 1 hour special, and will rerun it Sunday, Monday, and Thursday next week.

Sounds good but I agree--wish Ina would get back to taping a series of shows.  BC is the only cooking show on FN that I enjoy (and I don't watch much FN any more).  I wonder if Ben will pop into the kitchen while Ina and Jen are cooking? ;>)   Anyway...last night I made Ina's wonderful garlic ciabatta.  It was worth putting the oven on 'cause I love her garlic bread (and only this one!).  Love the crunchiness and the flavor and could easily eat way more than advisable.

I saw a promo for it last night (!) and it looks like the guests will be Jennifer Garner, Carnie Wilson, and Neil Patrick Harris. If there is anyone else, they didn't make the commercial.  

Thank you, Vera.  That's the article I was trying to find a couple of days ago, although mine was carried by a different publication from W.  I think that a lot of news outlets printed the same story, or so it seems.  I was surprised that Ina did this segment with Jennifer since there had been such a fuss in the past.  It's nice to see two egos bury the hatchet.  :)

Edited by Lura

Thanks for the link. Good article. I especially enjoyed the undercurrent tension between Martha Stewart and Ina that I've read about before. I do, however, mourn the loss of proofreading/editing. I found several typos/grammatical errors I found distracting. [pet peeve]

• Love 2

I found it so fawning as to induce nausea, and the comparisons to Martha Stewart seemed quite petty.  It was a passable article (although, yes, one in need of a copy editor), but mediocre journalism.

I've never paid much attention to Ina's personal life, other than to note that her clinging to Jeffrey on the show reeks of insecurity, so it was interesting for me to learn she married him so young and basically did so to leave her family.  That was interesting, and perhaps explains a bit, but if they're happy I am happy for them.  I just wish he'd stay off the show. 

Of course, I wish everyone would stay off the show, so Ina wouldn't try so hard and instead just demonstrate her tasty food.

The one thing I think the article hit dead on was that Ina is first and foremost a cookbook author (albeit a repetitive one) and the TV show is merely a marketing tool.  And it was nice to highlight how hands-on she is in both the testing and writing of the recipes.  I respect that.

Oh no! No matter who the victim is, this is terrible! I know I'm jumping to conclusions, but don't you have to have some (many?) serious previous violations to have such a device installed? What is wrong with people? Sorry, that last question is too open-ended and unanswerable.

Edited to add this link with a quote from Ina:

http://www.27east.com/news/article.cfm/Bridgehampton/125225/Pedestrian-Struck-By-Vehicle-In-Bridgehampton-Monday-Night-Montauk-Highway-Closed

Edited by Spunkygal

Oh no! No matter who the victim is, this is terrible! I know I'm jumping to conclusions, but don't you have to have some (many?) serious previous violations to have such a device installed? What is wrong with people? Sorry, that last question is too open-ended and unanswerable.

Edited to add this link with a quote from Ina:

http://www.27east.com/news/article.cfm/Bridgehampton/125225/Pedestrian-Struck-By-Vehicle-In-Bridgehampton-Monday-Night-Montauk-Highway-Closed

Highly likely previous violations. Our daughter has a good friend whose husband had one put in his car plus an ankle bracelet after multiple DUI/DWI accidents/violations.