Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Of Lost Things

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 8/5/2019 at 2:27 PM, Kirsty said:

I'm watching and enjoying Season 3, having not seen the show for a few years when I watched half a dozen episodes of Season 1. And it's hard not to notice that in Scotland, Jamie has been hit on by a different person in three of the four episodes so far. Meanwhile in Boston, Frank has been shit on in every episode so far!

Jamie is hot and people find him attractive. Message received. It's a romantic drama and he's the male lead, so no complaints.

But in Boston...  Why kill off Frank just when he was finally getting his chance to be happy with someone else? Is it not enough that Claire can't have sex with him without imagining Jamie? Is it not enough that their marriage never recovered and they only stayed together for their daughter? Frank is obviously no threat to Jamie so it just seems like overkill. I won't be surprised if in the next episode, Frank's girlfriend tells us that he was impotent -- even though the show has already killed him off! Stop shitting on Frank, show.

The long-term girlfriend is an invention of the TV show.  In the books, Claire suspects that he's had a number of affairs but according to D. Gabaldon, it's ambiguous whether or not he did.  Regardless of what she says, there's evidence in the text - in the scene where he tells her he's leaving with Bree - that there actually were affairs.  

The only narrative purposes of the long-term girlfriend, to me, seem to be 1) it makes Frank a little more sympathetic if his relationship is love-based and 2) to tell Claire something that I believe spurs her towards going back to Jamie.  She says something about wasted time and opportunity to be with the person that you love.  Other than that, I don't see the point of the change. 

Edited by toolazy
On 8/5/2019 at 4:27 PM, Kirsty said:

Why kill off Frank just when he was finally getting his chance to be happy with someone else? ... Stop shitting on Frank, show.

The show absolutely made Frank more sympathetic than the book.  Although, telling the other woman the wrong time so she shows up during Claire's graduation party?  Not cool, Frank!

17 hours ago, toolazy said:

The long-term girlfriend is an invention of the TV show.  In the books, Claire suspects that he's had a number of affairs but according to D. Gabaldon, it's ambiguous whether or not he did.  Regardless of what she says, there's evidence in the text - in the scene where he tells her he's leaving with Bree - that there actually were affairs. 

The details are completely escaping me (I only read Voyager twice).  More details are revealed in little snippets here and there throughout the remaining books, but it really seems like the more we learn (about Frank and what he knew about Jamie and Claire's time away from him), the less we know.

I listen to the Outlander Podcast with Ginger and Summer.  They interviewed Diana, who has said she hopes to one day write a book called "What Frank Knew."  A part of me is seriously more interested in that book right now than Bees!

7 hours ago, Ziggy said:

The details are completely escaping me (I only read Voyager twice).  More details are revealed in little snippets here and there throughout the remaining books, but it really seems like the more we learn (about Frank and what he knew about Jamie and Claire's time away from him), the less we know.

I listen to the Outlander Podcast with Ginger and Summer.  They interviewed Diana, who has said she hopes to one day write a book called "What Frank Knew."  A part of me is seriously more interested in that book right now than Bees!

That woman is quite the tease.

• LOL 1
On 7/2/2018 at 10:15 AM, Cdh20 said:

I binge watched all 3 seasons when I discovered it, and then wouldn’t stop talking about it so my hubby decided he would like to watch it. He really liked it & is looking forward to next season, but I think I will have to watch them alone on first view as he makes funny & ridiculous comments & sometimes ruins the tender, sexy, sad moments. Is yours the same? 

You need to read Blurtlander (just one example).