Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: Get Baked

Celebrity recruits tackle desserts, starting with a fast-paced assembly line challenge. Then, it's on to over-the-top milkshakes with decadent sweets. The two recruits with the worst desserts battle it out in a cupcake challenge.

Tonight just seemed more mean-spirited than the other nights, especially Anne when they were watching the closed-circuit TV footage of the challenge. Like calling Sean and Perez uptight because - why? Because they took the challenge and the I Love Lucy mini-challenge at least somewhat seriously and did their business and not turn it into a comedy sketch like Melissa and Nora did?

• Love 2

The "What, you guys watch on closed-circuit TV?!" faux surprise is annoying on regular episodes, and even more here -- they should have had the contestants give talking head interviews about how they know they're being watched and making wink-wink comments on the floor to josh Anne and Rachael.  But, then again, they have terrible writers ("producers" who serve as writers), so it wouldn't have been any funnier than this was.

Coming in, Melissa and Nora were the two I liked the most, and I like Anne, so I should really be enjoying the red team right about now, but the material is so bad (and the delivery doesn't help) I'm just thinking about lost potential rather than being entertained.

Gee, do you think that in the next episode it will be one of Anne's contestants going home so that we wind up with one from each team for the finale?

• Love 4

There was no point whatsoever to the first part of this episode with the assembly line, was there? Other than terrible "comedy" and a huge waste of food? This episode was just boring and bad. And not bad in a good hate-watch way. Just unwatchable.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

There was no point whatsoever to the first part of this episode with the assembly line, was there? Other than terrible "comedy" and a huge waste of food? This episode was just boring and bad. And not bad in a good hate-watch way. Just unwatchable.

If you'll notice, that's been true pretty much throughout the competition.  They play some team game in the beginning that has no impact on the main competition.  No advantage or gain for winning the quickfire.  Just for "entertainment."

• Love 1

Although I've never been a fan of Sean's, I wish he had stayed over Nora who I find extremely boring.  At least Sean was game for the challenges and trying to have fun.

I watched Melissa make her milkshake and wanted to go to the liquor store to get some Bailey's and Irish whiskey to recreate the flavors of her milkshake.  It sounded delicious!  All the others sounded kind of bad with waaaay too much peanut butter.

• Love 1

I'm so glad that I DVR this show. I agree with the latest episode being a big ball of filler basically. I FF'd through that stupid stunt/game at the beginning.

I'm not sure Sean or any of them have really learned much about cooking. Having never watched him on The Bachelor and seeing him on various other reality shows he seems like he doesn't take himself too seriously. I like Nora but will admit Sean was more fun to watch then her on the show.

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

The "What, you guys watch on closed-circuit TV?!" faux surprise is annoying on regular episodes, and even more here -- they should have had the contestants give talking head interviews about how they know they're being watched and making wink-wink comments on the floor to josh Anne and Rachael.  But, then again, they have terrible writers ("producers" who serve as writers), so it wouldn't have been any funnier than this was.

The term "closed-circuit TV" sounds so retro at this point that when they use it on this show it always seems kinda weird and awkward. 

This is my first season watching it in it's entirety. I've been catching episodes of the regular and celeb versions they've been doing marathons of on the days new episodes of this season airs and like the older seasons better. This show makes Rachael more tolerable for me. I've softened a bit towards her over the years though.

• Love 1

This show is Food Network's answer to Benny Hill.  If slapstick and constant loud goofy music are your thing, maybe this is the show for you.

I'm in the minority not liking desserts and finding their prep boring (although I was an avid baker until about ten years ago), so this episode was even more off-putting for my taste.

I'm rooting for Nora simply because, if I recall, her charity is an animal shelter.  They certainly don't give the charities much publicity, do they?  I don't know who the others are playing for.

Since it seems there are two eps left, one of the red aprons will have to bite it next week.

Perez Hilton is much more agreeable than he was in the early days of his blog, and I don't by any means think he couldn't cook when he came onboard for this show.  It's his to lose.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, buttercupia said:

i'm really entertained by this season for some reason. the ott graphics especially crack me up. when they gave whathisname cookie monster eyes, i rolled.  whoever does that stuff for this show is having a lot of fun. 

I really hope you're kidding.

Nora is my favorite so far, however I do have to agree with everyone else that Sean should have stayed.

5 hours ago, buttercupia said:

i'm really entertained by this season for some reason. the ott graphics especially crack me up. when they gave whathisname cookie monster eyes, i rolled.  whoever does that stuff for this show is having a lot of fun. 

For me it works when it's not forced, which is a fluctuating fraction of the time. When one of them makes a joke or reference (frequently Melissa) and they jazz it up, I'm OK with that. But I don't need a cartoon fire engine when someone says they're afraid of burning the kitchen down, or some of the other unnecessary animations.