Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Talk

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

I haven't seen the episode as yet, but I think Bow won't like anyone that Junior brings home.  Junior is to Bow as Zoe is to Dre.  

Monopoly is my game.  I play to win.  Last Christmas, I played with my husband and the inlaws.  My husband and his brother bowed out after they saw how cutthroat is was between my SIL and me.    She got angrier and angrier as the night went on.  I won, of course.  No one likes playing me in monopoly.  

• Love 5

This show did the impossible: Make Monopoly look fun! Games at our house are interminable. Again, Dre was beyond irredeemable -- why DID Bow marry him? I know this is broad strokes, but he's such a child. Pops and Ruby were standouts. And I still love Jack and Diane. If I were Junior's girlfriend, I would never return to that house. Bow should know better.

• Love 6

Hilarious episode.  Loved when Dre looked under the board to see if he'd stashed some money there.  When I would cheat at Monopoly I would hide my money under the board.  Loved that they had their own rules for the game.  My family did.  We also were always the same symbols.  My brother was the car.  I always ended up with the thimble.  

"I've been cheated bigly."  bbbbwaaaaah.....Dre's meltdown was awesome.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

I never enjoyed playing Monopoly, and I didn't enjoy watching other people play it.

I didn't enjoy the cutthroat nature of the competition, the putdowns.  I guess that's the point of Monopoly -- getting one over on the other guy, like in real life.  But it made me uncomfortable.

I recognize the quality of the writing in this episode but I didn't laugh.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

Does Bow seriously have it against Megan being with Junior because she's white?  I'm hoping that that's not the reason she has a problem with her.

I think her problem is that Junior is dating anyone. She mentioned near the end of the episode that she would miss Junior when eventually a girl took him away from her.

• Love 15

Are those money gun things for real? That's hilarious.

"Let me get that paper, playboy." Loved seeing Jack turn into a baller. A baller who swallows hotels.

Okay, that took a turn when Dre lost. I guess you have to laugh to keep from crying.

What was DeVante's costume?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
because this isn't Young and the Restless circa 1998.
  • Love 2

I am in Ruby's age group and every person I know who is 59-63 or so works full time, takes care of a home and in some cases (mine), still have teenagers living at home. Even talking about potentially find ing"a home" for Ruby seemed ridiculous. Why would someone need to be in a home at her age? I understand she was doing some things to scam them, but I would first think about medical issues rather than assume she is too elderly to survive. I  had no problem with the idea Ruby wouldn't be computer savvy but I am sure she would call Dre or Pops before believing Junior was kidnapped. Most of those grandparent scams only work on grandparents in their 80's who live in other cities from their grandkids. And I heard that even that population doesn't respond as much due to them being on Facebook and/or having the ability to text their kids and grandkids. 

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, vmcd88 said:

I also thought it was funny that Bow didnt like Junior's girlfriend.  It's like she's turning into Ruby which makes it even more funny.  

Not liking Junior's girlfriend and repeatedly insulting her to her face in public are two entirely different things. There is no way in hell a TV comedy show's main protagonist would have behaved in such an inexcusably crass manner if the colors of all the characters were switched. (The obvious exception would have been "All in the Family", to be consistent with its theme and purpose.)

• Love 7

I rewound Jenifer Lewis and Laurence Fishburne entering in their matching track suits to "Where the Hood At?"  at least three times. I was cracking up! This was a really fun episode.

4 hours ago, roseslg said:

I haven't seen the episode as yet, but I think Bow won't like anyone that Junior brings home.  Junior is to Bow as Zoe is to Dre.  

Monopoly is my game.  I play to win.  Last Christmas, I played with my husband and the inlaws.  My husband and his brother bowed out after they saw how cutthroat is was between my SIL and me.    She got angrier and angrier as the night went on.  I won, of course.  No one likes playing me in monopoly.  

My dad is like this. There was no "let the children win" in our house and he took zero prisoners at Monopoly - with all games, really, but especially Monopoly. You had to come correct if you were going to play him. My mom is like that with Uno. I'm like that with Scrabble (my ex beat me in Scrabble and I was legit devastated). We play board games at Christmas and it's everyone (or every team) for themselves.

I really hate Jenifer Lewis's wig, but every line she delivered was gold. "This nightmare of a man ruined my life."

• Love 14

This was a good episode. Though, I'm not a fan of Bow being a bitch to Megan. I hope Junior or Dre points out to her that she's turning into Ruby. I don't know what it is with some mothers and their sons. The dynamics change and they start viewing their sons as if they're their boyfriends. It's creepy AF.

Besides that, see, this is why I'm usually a spectator with board and card games. I haven't played Monopoly in years, so I don't even remember the rules, but the one game I will never participate in is Spades. I don't know how to play and I'm okay with that. That's a game that people be getting all the way up in their feelings about. Just sucking all the fun out and shit.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I think her problem is that Junior is dating anyone. She mentioned near the end of the episode that she would miss Junior when eventually a girl took him away from her.

6 hours ago, Higgs said:

Not liking Junior's girlfriend and repeatedly insulting her to her face in public are two entirely different things. There is no way in hell a TV comedy show's main protagonist would have behaved in such an inexcusably crass manner if the colors of all the characters were switched. (The obvious exception would have been "All in the Family", to be consistent with its theme and purpose.)

29 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

This was a good episode. Though, I'm not a fan of Bow being a bitch to Megan. I hope Junior or Dre points out to her that she's turning into Ruby. I don't know what it is with some mothers and their sons. The dynamics change and they start viewing their sons as if they're their boyfriends. It's creepy AF.

Besides that, see, this is why I'm usually a spectator with board and card games. I haven't played Monopoly in years, so I don't even remember the rules, but the one game I will never participate in is Spades. I don't know how to play and I'm okay with that. That's a game that people be getting all the way up in their feelings about. Just sucking all the fun out and shit.

What the hell...not every woman is so damn possessive of their son.  Did these ladies really think their son would just stay with them for the rest of their lives.  Bow, is way too good for Dre and in the same way, Bow should be happy Junior has found a girl that gets him.  I have a feeling her race has nothing to do with it...Bow has admitted she is just jealous...period.

The actors that play Pops and Ruby are such acting pros, that they are just a pleasure to watch.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, possibilities said:

I never enjoyed playing Monopoly, and I didn't enjoy watching other people play it.

I basically feel the same. I'm not a fan of the game. I'm not competitive in that way. Maybe it's the gloating that I hate. However, I appreciate how this ep was put together. The writing, the characters, the plot (such as it was) were all very well done. Lots of funny stuff. 

I howled when Ruby and Pops came out in their matching green velour track suits. And the flashback of them in the American flag outfits was great as well. Oh, and of course the other flashback where they yell at itty bitty Dre.

Looks like the show ended suggesting that Ruby and Pops were going to try to get back together.

I loved the little back-and-forth about Marvin's Garden and Olive's Garden. 

Jack (and the actor) has always been so so good, but he really shone in this ep. 

• Love 11
47 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Oh, and of course the other flashback where they yell at itty bitty Dre.

I love how this show keeps trying to age Andre backwards. Anthony Anderson looks good for his age, but there's no way he passes for late 30's.

• Love 4

I loved this episode.  As a recovering board-thrower myself, I could relate to Dre. I used to be a sore loser and a worst winner, and Monopoly in my family was cutthroat AF. No mercy indeed!

Bow will ger her comeuppance with Megan. Don't worry! This show is good about that.

I had a white boyfriend in high school, and I would never have showed any affection with him in front of my parents. I'm not saying it's right, but my parents were not thrilled about me dating someone who wasn't black. They grew up in the 50s in the south, so I think their racism was from being treated poorly themselves. 

They're more evolved now and are fine with my partners, regardless of race. I say all of this to say I can believe Bow was that way with Megan, but I'm sure she'll come around. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, teebax said:

I loved this episode.  As a recovering board-thrower myself, I could relate to Dre. I used to be a sore loser and a worst winner, and Monopoly in my family was cutthroat AF. No mercy indeed!

I guess they didn't have time to show Pops and Ruby also demanding their $100. Or perhaps the two of them were too "busy" to be concerned with the money right now.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, teebax said:

Bow will ger her comeuppance with Megan. Don't worry! This show is good about that.

I had a white boyfriend in high school, and I would never have showed any affection with him in front of my parents. I'm not saying it's right, but my parents were not thrilled about me dating someone who wasn't black. They grew up in the 50s in the south, so I think their racism was from being treated poorly themselves. 

They're more evolved now and are fine with my partners, regardless of race. I say all of this to say I can believe Bow was that way with Megan, but I'm sure she'll come around. 

Bow may have every right to be upset, but she has absolutely no right to take her resentment out on Megan, and certainly not in public. 

I'm more concerned, however, with why the writers decided to depict the character in such a negative way. (If the colors of all the characters were reversed, only a white Archie Bunker type would have been shown to act in this way.) My guess is short and brutal: it allows whites to feel superior, and gives blacks the satisfaction of revenge. It's a win-win for a bottom-feeding mainstream TV network.

• Love 1

I don't think I've ever loved an episode more but we're huge game players in my house and Monopoly is one that always brings out a lot.   My brother is Monopoly mean.  He's normally competitive with other games but with Monopoly he is legit cruel.   And when he loses oh it is a thing of beauty.   So, so, so much beauty in his Monopoly losses.

• Love 7
On 10/25/2017 at 9:24 PM, Sheenieb said:

they are all not very nice to megan. especially bow. who is half white which i only mention because that seems to be her major issue with her. if i were megan i would have been in tears at some point. 

i was torn on the episode. it was funny at times but i was bored with the whole episode being a game of monopoly. and dre is not a nice person most of the time. but then again his parents aren't either.

On 10/25/2017 at 6:23 AM, Higgs said:

I watched this show for the first time ever, mainly to see how a sitcom about a black family compared with one about a black mayor.

I don't believe a black family would treat any guest so rudely.

I don't believe no one, especially including her boyfriend, would defend her.

I don't believe teenage couples say goodnight without kissing.

I do believe black males don't kiss white girls on the mouth on the major networks in prime time.

But hey, maybe I'm naive and/or don't watch enough TV.

I'm curious whether you like The Mayor. I do like the show, but there is nothing about it that rings true as a show about being black or black life, other than the main characters happen to be black. This makes any comparison to Black-ish pretty much impossible. 

• Love 3
On 10/27/2017 at 10:13 AM, laprin said:

I'm curious whether you like The Mayor. I do like the show, but there is nothing about it that rings true as a show about being black or black life, other than the main characters happen to be black. This makes any comparison to Black-ish pretty much impossible. 

I watch The Mayor, as I did Scream Queens, for Lea Michele. This one episode of Black-ish I watched had the usual juxtaposition of (heightened) real world and farcical, TV-stereotyped behavior, as does The Mayor. One particular thing the two programs have in common is a major black female character gratuitously insulting a white woman in front of people important to both. 

American TV sitcoms do not ring true about the lives of any group. Such realism is occasionally on PBS, but it's rarely funny. Regarding sitcom blacks, in particular, my main objection is  condescension by whites (writers and characters) and pandering to black audiences. I'm more interested in the social/political/business dynamics involved in the creation of major network shows than in the shows themselves.

The Mayor is not yet gritty enough about politics. I'm not asking for a municipal Veep, comedic West Wing, or anti-T***p satire, but I want engagement with the big local issues, and Val and Courtney should be having sex, but not with each other (yet). For example, here in Californiastan, perhaps alone among all states due to passage of its own voting rights bill, cities are being forced to go from at-large to district elections to get more minorities on city councils. A right-wing group is threatening a lawsuit charging violation of recent Supreme Court decisions.

I was given examples (elsewhere) of Bm/Wf MtoM osculation on mainstream TV, but none were sitcoms. I welcome related references, but I want at least near-range action shots; a mere relationship, marriage, fornication, fellatio, furtive groping, CPR (emergency or practice) don't count. And faked con la lingue, only, please.

Edited by Higgs
language choices

This was a good episode, but Dre is still theee worst. Maybe it's the actor because every time I see him on the screen I cringe with disgust.

-LOL at Pops and Ruby maybe getting back together. I wanna see this train wreck happen.

-Barely missed Zoe.

-I actually viewed Bow putting down Jr.'s girlfriend as funny because she's becoming more like Ruby. I don't care about whether or not Megan and Jr. stay together, but I completely understand why Bow has a hard time accepting her black son having a white girlfriend. I'm not against interracial dating, but why are the show runners acting like black nerdy girls don't exist? The only time Jr. dated a black girl was the black republican girl if I remember correctly. He also had a huge crush on Zoe's friend, but that panned out quickly when she found out he was stringing her along with Megan. Why was Megan able to stick then? 

-I can't remember the last time I played monopoly, but now I have to buy it.

• Love 3

I hate shows that do these type of "special" episodes and this episode didn't make me change; instead it reinforced how shallow and condescending show runners are. It's clear that the subject of Postpartum Depression hasn't been researched thoroughly.

-I find it hard to believe that Bow, a MEDICAL professional isn't aware of PPD at all or recognizing the symptoms she's experiencing. I know it can be different for doctors when they get sick because a myriad of things come up in their heads, but this diagnosis was a freebie. It's the only natural conclusion you arrive to.

-Dre was incredibly self absorbed and not entertaining. WHY DOES HE ASK HIS CLEARLY RACIST COWORKERS FOR ADVICE ABOUT HIS PERSONAL LIFE?? 

-Ruby deserved that berating and more imo. Bow was too soft on her. Ruby has verbally abused Bow since her first appearance on the show and I am still waiting for her just desserts. 

-Jr. is definitely going to be the baby's father figure. It's clear Dre doesn't give a shit about raising a baby and Pops is...Pops. I thought it sweet that Jr. recognized that his mother was going through a tough time and that his father ain't shit, so he stepped up.

-I was fully expecting Dre to take his mother's side and he did up until he confronted his mother about crossing a line. Still doesn't make up for the years of verbal abuse his wife had to put up with. 

-There is nothing colorist or racist about Bow standing up for herself. Ruby is an overbearing MIL and needs to fall back. Like posters said, she should be thanking her lucky stars someone like Bow came along otherwise she would be dealing with an immature, loud, obnoxious basement dweller.

• Love 1

Jenifer Lewis is amazing, but I don't like Ruby. She needs to get a freaking Emmy soon because she brings so much to the show.

-Yikes at Zoe bringing over a guy friend without asking. I'm in my 20's and the thought of me bringing over a man to my parents house to sleep over without them being aware of it is almost making me break out into hives. Maybe it is a bit old-fashioned of me, but I can't imagine why Zoe thought that was a good idea. I thought her reaction to Bow was disrespectful. She should be apologizing for bringing a complete stranger to her house without asking or introducing him in the beginning.

-Jr. was crossing a line, but then again he's the one who has to do Dre's job of investigating the new guy with Bow. The scene where he said he'll miss his mother when he left for college was heartwarming. 

-DIANE! This precious, prodigal possible sociopath captures my heart. Her "I don't need a project" line was gold. The crush was awkward and endearing. It only got funnier when Ruby came out with an Easter dress as well.

-Dre taking out from his and Bow's retirement fund so he could pamper his mama wasn't surprising at all. He's the best caricature of an oaf I've seen on TV in the past recent years. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, lavenderrose said:

-Barely missed Zoe.

I didn't miss her at all. I don't mean that as a slam on Zoe or the actor; it's just that this ep was so tight -- as in written -- that there was no void to fill.

-I actually viewed Bow putting down Jr.'s girlfriend as funny because she's becoming more like Ruby.

That's a good point. I wonder if someone will point that out to her, or if she'll recognize it, and then start acting more welcoming.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Dee said:

Ruby, herself, pointed that out to Rainbow a long time ago.

Common courtesy is one thing, being so foolish a parent as to almost certainly cause your son even to spitefully prolong a relationship that you wish would end is something else.

Megan could have virtually every straight male in the school, including faculty and administration. That she chose Junior says a great deal about both of them.

Edited by Higgs
On 10/23/2017 at 5:38 PM, meep.meep said:

Are they planning a different show that's Zoey at college?

Yes. The spinoff is called "Grown-ish" and will be on whatever they call ABC Family now. The backdoor pilot aired during last season when she met the hottie she brought home. 

19 hours ago, Dee said:

Blackish is regularly sexist and colorist. It's even done meta commentary about its biases. It's treatment of Ruby is just the latest in that regard.

Is Jenifer Lewis even considered "darker skinned"? The variation of shades in all 3 generations of Johnson's is minimal. Junior is the lightest, and probably Diane is the darkest, but no one stands out as "the dark one" or the "high yellow". Its hard to be colorist when the shades are so damn close. They make Junior and Rainbow to be the "weakest" Johnson's, so they aren't making the light ones perfect either. I just want to understand why this comment has been made by you twice on this episode thread without explanation. 

I think this picture is a great example of the vast array of shades we are seeing in this family. (They are all the same color)

black-ish-cast-now-022117.jpg?itok=Z5n5T

The lighter Johnsons are not nearly held to the same standard as their darker relatives.

Also, the variation of shades in the Johnson family is not minimal. There's huge difference between Diane, alone, and her siblings.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Dee said:

Where did the show make Rainbow's dislike of Megan about Megan's race?

Where in a race/religion-blind society any parent would kill to have someone like Megan choose their son. She wasn't even a Republian. And Occam's Razor.

Edited by Higgs
36 minutes ago, Dee said:

The lighter Johnsons are not nearly held to the same standard as their darker relatives.

Also, the variation of shades in the Johnson family is not minimal. There's huge difference between Diane, alone, and her siblings.

To be fair, you said this was colorist due to the treatment of Ruby. But thank you for clarifying that the standards are higher for those who appear a shade or two darker in this family. I really have a hard time seeing the contrast in skin color that you see (kids below). But these are just opinions, so I understand why ours vary.

Thanks for explaining your POV. Diane is my favorite Johnson kid, so I think she is perfect the way she's written.

08-blackish.w1200.h630.jpg

49 minutes ago, Dee said:

I actually agree to be completely honest. The treatment Diane gets compared to the rest of the kids is lackluster. I personally like Diane; I think she's the most funny and well-formed character for the kids, but does she even have solo scenes with her parents? Each kid (even Jr.) is shown to have solid relationships with each parent except for Diane. She doesn't get the same attention at all and I don't see her parents being affectionate towards her at all. Dre and Bow for that matter barely acknowledge her existence unless Jack is next to her or they're inserting how much of a  sociopath she is. It's disconcerting that this little girl is shown to have these dangerous qualities, but not a single childlike moment. 

14 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

To be fair, you said this was colorist due to the treatment of Ruby.

Which I stand by. You brought up the complexions of the rest of the Johnsons.

Rainbow's never really had any issue with Megan being white.

In fact, she spends the majority of the aforementioned episode dealing with her own internalized issues.

It was about how Ruby & Rainbow's relationship is treated as "much worse" than D'Alicia and Andre's or Earl & Rainbow's.

And no, Ruby is not the "same color" as every adult on the show. Anthony Anderson, Laurence Fishburne and Jenifer Lewis are all noticeably darker than Tracee Ellis Ross.

Edited by Dee

Ruby often refers to Bow with a derogatory term ("zebra") based on the fact that she is biracial. The implication is that she is not as Black as Ruby, Pops or Dre. Assuming this insult implies that her skin is also lighter, would this be "colorist" on Ruby's part, or does that only apply in the opposite direction?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 4

No, it doesn't. Andre and Earl regularly do the same thing, and Rainbow is hardly an innocent when it comes to slamming her family.

Edited by Dee
1 hour ago, BoogieBurns said:

There was an episode last season where Bow is upset to meet Megan. 

As I wrote upthread, this was first episode of Black-ish I had seen, and I have never even read anything about it. Has Bow ever met any other of Junior's girlfriends? Who were they and what were Bow's reactions? Has Bow ever been rude to anyone outside her family without provocation? If so, to whom and why?

The last family sitcom I watched was Modern Family, and that was several years ago. Has anyone ever seen a sane, sober, educated white sitcom character behave badly toward a black character on a major network show in prime time? (This is ultimately about TV scriptwriters, not people in real life.)