Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Burnt Food

• Start Topic

For the heck of it, I just checked IMDB for the Good Doctor. According to the full cast, they have filmed 6 episodes and young Shaun(I hate Shaun spelled this way, I love Sean even tho' everyone pronounces it wrong) is in 3 episodes and his brother is only in the first episode, and his mother(Marcie) is in two episodes. I did not see any actor listed for the father......Of course, if the show goes on, they could still come back.

• Love 1

My apologies @MsNewsradio.  I should have expressed myself better.  I don't think he would be as concerned with maintaining his social standing and sucking up to his boss as the male resident we saw.

2 hours ago, orza said:

But this is TV. It doesn't matter what may or may not work best in the real world. While Shaun may be "honest", he lacks the social skills and finesse to present unpleasant facts in a way that is palatable to patients.

That sounds like many doctors I know, especially the older ones, and they are not on the spectrum. I remember a surgeon friend of my father's who, when asked some questions about an upcoming surgery by the patient replied "If you want a medical education, go to medical school."  This was shared around by his fellow doctors as a brilliant reply.

If Shaun lacks the skills right now, he can learn them.  There are programs created just for doctors that can teach him.  It's a stupid reason to exclude him from his residency.

1 hour ago, slasherboy said:

But what do they mean?  I heard him say those things, but did he really smell ice cream when it rained and did he really smell burnt food when his brother died?  Thanks for responding.

I think they were trying to suggest that he had synesthesia.

(also spelled synæsthesia or synaesthesia; from the Ancient Greek σύν syn, "together", and αἴσθησις aisthēsis, "sensation") is a perceptual phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway. People who report a lifelong history of such experiences are known as synesthetes...

There are two overall forms of synesthesia: projective synesthesia and associative synesthesia. People who project will see actual colors, forms, or shapes when stimulated, as is commonly accepted as synesthesia; associators will feel a very strong and involuntary connection between the stimulus and the sense that it triggers. For example, in the common form chromesthesia (sound to color) a projector may hear a trumpet and see an orange triangle in space while an associator might hear a trumpet and think very strongly that it sounds "orange".

The latter runs in my family independent of autism.

I guess Shore was trying to emphasize how different Shaun is from the other characters on the show.

• Love 6

A medical show that relies on medical procedures and practices?  Oh, you silly optomistic people!

On 9/25/2017 at 8:22 PM, AmandaPanda said:

This! And even though they're surgeons, they would certainly know what autism is.

What part of "high functioning" did they miss.  From my understanding, it means someone with a disability who doesn't need special care to do everyday things.  And they should know that.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, slasherboy said:

But what do they mean?  I heard him say those things, but did he really smell ice cream when it rained and did he really smell burnt food when his brother died?  Thanks for responding.

He said the copper pipes smelled like burnt food so I presume this was a demonstration on how he processes or remember events.  I have no idea if its realistic or not.

Finally got a chance to watch.  Sorry I don't know nay characters' names just yet so I'll use the actor names...

What I Liked:

- Freddy, Antonia, Tamlyn Tomita (I have a major girl-crush on her and have followed her since The Joy Luck Club)

- The idea of the show

What I didn't like:

- The extremes of Hill Harper and Richard Schiff's positions.  I know that RS was supposed to be more sympathetic and HH is supposed to be seen as unfeeling, but I thought both of them were eye-rolling in their extremes.  Rather than defending your hire by starting with "I knew him since he was 14" how about talking about his qualifications.  Obviously he made it through medical school.  Was it a good school?  Were his grades good?  Couldn't he bring up some ADA regulations? Why not admonish them about their blatant discrimination rather than just some mealy mouthed "well there was a time we wouldn't hire women or blacks."

- Everyone is already in some romantic/personal relationship with everyone else.  Cool your jets show. 

- How ridiculous is Nick Gonzalez' entire character?  He's met the the new guy has actually see his knowledge in positive action and yet "Oh you shouldn't be here.. You'll only ever do suction blah, blah, blah."   Needless dramatic posturing.

• Love 8
On 9/25/2017 at 11:28 PM, crazycatlady58 said:

Well that  was the way House went, but House was both the jerk and the one who saved everyone . 

The difference is that Shaun is an autistic savant; House, otoh, was just an asshole. A brilliant asshole, but an asshole nonetheless. 

I liked the pilot. It wasn't "perfect" by any means, but Freddie Highmore is adorable and as far as I'm concerned, Richard Schiff can do no wrong. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 10

This kind of show never interests me and I would never have bothered to tune in except for Freddie. I came to admire and outright love him for Bates Motel, and tho even the previews made my ears bleed, I had to watch, for him. It's pretty terrible, cliched, and awkward and unsubtle as a wrecking ball, but I was happy to see Beau Garrett and the cute kid who played creepy little Vincent on the Returned as Shaun's brother, and Freddie is so good. But ugh, I don't know if I can hang. And the bunny thing almost made me turn it all off.

I'll probably DVR and FF thru a lot...it's the kind of show I'll watch just for a performance or two and not really care about the plotlines or most of the tangential characters. I feel bad for Freddie going from Bates Motel to this, but it does give him a lot to work with and MIGHT get more people realizing how talented he is.

• Love 1

As much as I love Freddie Highmore this show looks like the typical idiot savant medical drama.   The only thing I found vaguely interesting was his flashbacks.  Now that would have been an interesting story.  Kinda like the movie The Accountant but with better actors.  Raising a kid on the spectrum under less then ideal circumstances.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, luna1122 said:

I feel bad for Freddie going from Bates Motel to this, but it does give him a lot to work with and MIGHT get more people realizing how talented he is.

I hope this show gets him more work, better work. I agree the show isn't that great. It's full of medical drama clichés. I hate medical dramas. I only watched House because I fell in love with House/Cuddy. I barely paid attention to the rest of the show. I will only watch this because I am in awe of Freddie. I can't believe this is the same kid from Willy Wanka. lol He is proving himself to be an amazing actor and I can't want till this ends to see what else he does. (Sad to say since this show literally just started but I'm not invested and want to see him do something else. Though the character of Shaun Murphy is a great one, so I can see why he took the role). Sadly the rest of the show doesn't live up to the main character.

• Love 1
On 9/27/2017 at 3:23 PM, statsgirl said:

I think they were trying to suggest that he had synesthesia.

Thanks for the explanation and information, statsgirl.  I've heard of synesthesia and should have put two & two together.  I find it very interesting.

On 9/27/2017 at 5:04 PM, ParadoxLost said:

He said the copper pipes smelled like burnt food so I presume this was a demonstration on how he processes or remember events.  I have no idea if its realistic or not.

Thanks for your response, too, paradoxlost.

On 9/28/2017 at 0:11 PM, luna1122 said:

I feel bad for Freddie going from Bates Motel to this, but it does give him a lot to work with and MIGHT get more people realizing how talented he is.

I can't feel too bad for Freddie ... he's one of the producers of the show and knew what he was getting into.

Something else.  Where is he going to live?  At the beginning of the episode he left a house fully in-tact (was that his cat?) and seemingly went to San Jose.  Is he going to return to the house?  All his stuff is still there.  Where will he go to sleep at the end of the work day at the hospital?

I always look at new shows at least once, so I've been watching and fast-forwarding a lot this week.  Having said this, The Good Doctor is the only show that captivated me from sort of the beginning to the end.  I didn't care for the gratuitous post-sex scene and feel it contributed nothing to the show.  I hope they don't add a lot of sex scenes to try to attract the 20-30 YO age people.  That's such a  cop out.

I thought Freddie did a great job.  His character is sort of like the character Ben Affleck played in The Accountant.

I'm in for the long haul UNLESS it becomes a show about sex and the good doctor secondary.

• Love 6
On 9/26/2017 at 4:19 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Definitely can tell that this is a David Shore show, because even though it is apparently based of a Korean show (and isn't Daniel Dae Kim an executive producer?  Maybe he'll guest!), it really reminded me of House in a lot of ways. 

Yep...Reminded me of House immediately.  

On 9/26/2017 at 9:20 PM, 2727 said:

virulent rollitis

LOL.  I'm taking this. 

Oh man, there are a lot of flaws in this show, and yet I will be watching it because I am a complete and utter sap, and because my oldest has special needs and my middle son is a good kid who takes care of his older brother (even though my husband has not yet killed any family pets), and because the actor playing shaun is excellent.

I really don't care about any of the romantic plots.  Please drop them.

• Love 7
On 9/26/2017 at 2:42 AM, AnimeMania said:

I would like to see how he moved in with hospital administrator and how he learned everything there is to know about medicine before he went to college. Flashbacks might be an interesting way to show some of the coping mechanisms for an autistic lifestyle.

Anybody know why the episode was entitled "Burnt Food", they should have called it "Ice Cream Rain".

When his bunny died the rain smelled like ice cream, when his brother died the copper pipes smelled like burnt food. 

So, I am autistic.  Happy to see I am not the only one of us here.  I thought the previews looked terrible but gave it a shot because it's a show centered around a person with autism and it couldn't possibly annoy me as much as Atypical

Likes: Freddy Highmore is quite good.  I've never seen any of his previous work but he was absolutely believable as someone on the spectrum.  They did a good job with him stimming with the toy scalpel.  Shaun's reaction in the airport to everything up until the sign fell was very realistic.  I hate airports.  THey are loud, full of people and strange things.  I was just wondering where his headphones were.  I never travel or really go anywhere without them.  I listen to loud Linkin Park music on mine but obviously other folks like different stuff but they are great when you have sensory  issues.  

Dislikes:  This could take a while.  The show is hokey and hamfisted.  Yet again, Hollywood depicts autism without involving any actual autistic people.  There are many autistic actors and writers they could have gotten involved but they chose not to.  How can you tell a story about us without actually involving any of us.  It is the typical ableism seen in tv and movies.  On the rare occassion they tell a story about someone with a disbility or neuro-divergence, it always is written, produced and acted by able bodied and NTs.  Additionally, the only autistic people that exist are white, hetero, cis gender males who tend to be savants.  The hospital board scenes were awful for the reasons many others have noted.  They acted as if autism was a mental defect.  Shaun needs to hire a good lawyer, now.  I am also confused if he lived in Wyoming alone.  He told the board after his touching little speech that he wants to be rich so he can afford a tv.  What? So, all I know about medicine I learned from watching ER and other hospital shows years ago and I never could keep training levels straight.  But you don't go straight from med school to residency, right?  Don't you do an internship first?  So he would have gotten a paycheck before.  14 year old Shaun saying that makes sense.  Adult Shuan who has worked and gotten a paycheck would have a basic idea of how much things cost.

I can't remember any of the other characters names but if Shuan asking some blunt questions during that surgery would cause the ass surgeon to screw up then the dude really no business operating on anyone.  All of the concern over Shaun's social skills seems really misguided.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Shaynaa said:

But you don't go straight from med school to residency, right?  Don't you do an internship first?

The first year of residency is called your intern year. While there are traditional internships and programs that require you to do a preliminary year before you start, surgery is not one of them. In other words, Shaun is starting his intern year as he is starting his residency.

Of course this whole "why did he get this spot and let's just get rid of him" argument is ridiculous because it makes it sound like he didn't go through the match (long, convoluted way med students get into residencies requiring rank lists and sleepless nights), unless somebody withdrew from the program and his friend, Richard Schiff, decided to give it to him before the program had a chance to interview anybody else. People aren't just hired for residencies. First, you need at least 3 letters of recommendation plus your step 1 and step 2 scores along with your personal statement, med school transcript, dean's letter, resume, list of all your publications, if you have any, and awards you received. It's a lot of work.

• Love 4

When Tamlyn Tomita got up and welcomed him to the hospital after his kind of ridiculous speech of "I want to save lives and be rich" I expected at least one of the others to be all "um, we didn't have a revote, last I remember, we voted not to take him on" because, when did it go from a group vote to her making the decision? 

Yeah, this show is NOT well written at all. I'm really just in it for Freddie Highmore for now.

• Love 2

Per wikipedia:  The series premiere earned a 2.2/9 rating in the 18- to 49-year-old demographic, with 11.22 million total viewers, making it the most watched Monday drama on ABC in 21 years, since Dangerous Minds in September 1996, and the highest rated Monday drama in the 18–49 demographic in 8.5 years, since Castle in March 2009

I'm glad the pilot did so well in the ratings.  I enjoyed it, and good ratings might inspire TPTB to toss a few more bucks into the budget, and hopefully make improvements going forward.  I think the show has a lot of potential, and Highmore, already doing a great job, will only get better as he evolves in the role.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SnarkyTart said:

Per wikipedia:  The series premiere earned a 2.2/9 rating in the 18- to 49-year-old demographic, with 11.22 million total viewers, making it the most watched Monday drama on ABC in 21 years, since Dangerous Minds in September 1996

Wow. That's cool. 

(I watched that "Dangerous Minds" TV show. I remember liking it.)

• Love 1

Those flashbacks were harsh. Overall, it was okay for a pilot. I'll keep watching for at least a few episodes if for no other reason than Richard Schiff.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:30 AM, tennisgurl said:

I agree with the general consensus that the board room scenes were utterly ridiculous in how everyone was just sitting around talking about how they weren't going to higher a qualified doctor because he has Autism, like that isn't all kinds of illegal.

Or that they would handwave the benefit of having the two-bazillion view "hero" on staff.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:05 PM, SnoGirl said:

I'm bummed out the brother died. I know that's why a lot of people jump into thr medical field, but I was hoping to see his brother down the line.

Agree.  SO many ways they could have utilized the brother as an adult: 

--He's failed at everything he ever tried in life, or he's only modestly successful, except he still shines through when Doogie Shaun needs support.

--He's a doctor, too, but not half as gifted as Shaun.

--He goes back and forth between resenting Shaun and supporting him.

--The fall crippled him and the brothers are challenged in different ways.

--He and Schiff butt heads about the best way to support Shaun.

--Lots of potential for romantic triangles between brothers so close in age, although I'm relieved we'll be spared that particular trope.  (And I'm glad he allowed the airport parents to embrace him.  Lesser writers would have been tempted to make him hysterical at every instance of human physical contact.) 

I'm in.  I almost didn't watch after one reviewer sneered about "Another 'special' doctor?  There's a fresh concept."  My expectations were so low, I swung all the way back the other way to Fan.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

Per wikipedia:  The series premiere earned a 2.2/9 rating in the 18- to 49-year-old demographic, with 11.22 million total viewers, making it the most watched Monday drama on ABC in 21 years, since Dangerous Minds in September 1996, and the highest rated Monday drama in the 18–49 demographic in 8.5 years, since Castle in March 2009

I'm glad the pilot did so well in the ratings.  I enjoyed it, and good ratings might inspire TPTB to toss a few more bucks into the budget, and hopefully make improvements going forward.  I think the show has a lot of potential, and Highmore, already doing a great job, will only get better as he evolves in the role.

But Wikipedia also shows that Castle had more than 11.22 million viewers on many occasions in its early years, so I'm not really sure what you can believe. And I'm pretty sure they did higher than 2.2 in their early years too. I think there are people at ABC whose job it is to make the ratings sound as good as they possibly can.

The Good Doctor definitely cleaned up in the ratings though. Comparing it to it's competition is more important than in the past, because it's all about what makes ABC money now. Hopefully it lasts. Unless it drops drastically in quality from the pilot.

• Love 1

Good news: Freddie Highmore is a great talent.

Bad news: almost everything else.  The not needed sex scene, loud and grandstanding speeches, "you're not welcome here, you will have one basic function" which will turn into "WE NEED YOU" within 8 episodes , etc.  I tried to watch House and I couldn't enjoy it.  I normally give new shows 3 episodes until I stay or go.  Not sure where this needle is pointing right now. 

• Love 2
On 9/30/2017 at 1:07 AM, rwlevin said:

The first year of residency is called your intern year. While there are traditional internships and programs that require you to do a preliminary year before you start, surgery is not one of them. In other words, Shaun is starting his intern year as he is starting his residency.

Of course this whole "why did he get this spot and let's just get rid of him" argument is ridiculous because it makes it sound like he didn't go through the match (long, convoluted way med students get into residencies requiring rank lists and sleepless nights), unless somebody withdrew from the program and his friend, Richard Schiff, decided to give it to him before the program had a chance to interview anybody else. People aren't just hired for residencies. First, you need at least 3 letters of recommendation plus your step 1 and step 2 scores along with your personal statement, med school transcript, dean's letter, resume, list of all your publications, if you have any, and awards you received. It's a lot of work.

I was wondering about matching and why the show didn't show how people wind up at the hospitals they do for residency in US.  That would've been really cool to watch from med school graduation and him going on interviews all over the country.  I think even him in med school and taking step 1 and step 2 would be cool.  I hope we get to see his prepare and take step 3! 

I'm still traumatized by the bunny killing. Why does the show have to be that crushingly traumatic and unbearably sad? He could have a difficult life for so many reasons. Making his father a rage maniac who throws animals AND also killing his brother... it's a lot. It's not necessary.

In my experience, many people will very blatantly declare their insulting prejudices against anyone with a disability or disability-adjacent label, and the ADA is followed slightly less often than speed limits, and enforced WAY less. But I thought the show still did a bad job of setting up the opposition to hiring Shaun, because they skipped over the obvious issue that HE GOT THROUGH MEDICAL SCHOOL, and presumably had been vetted in some way long before this point. It's not like there was no other way to dramatize the process or expose and condemn the discrimination. I think it would have been more interesting to watch if they'd not seemed so incompetent at the same time as seeming to be completely without a process.

Any why would Schiff be so unprepared? If he's been advocating for so long, he'd have better answers than the blustering he was doing.

To be honest, though, it was less crazy than Scorpion, and I think they put this show in the same timeslot because they're hoping to appeal to the same sensibility: a little schmaltz, a little MacGyver (like the airport save), a sprinkle of neurodiversity, a smidge of adrenaline, and a few spluttering allies among a lot of people who Just Don't Get It. It's less of an action-adventure than Scorpion, though.

I didn't watch Bates Motel, but I am glad to see that Our Lead has a track record. It might mean the show gets better.

• Love 4

Schiff waits til the day his protege arrives to ask the board to hire him? And then this vote is not how he would have been awarded a RL residency in the first place? Yikes. 

But: I've never encountered the actor playing Shaun. He's incredible. And I hope Daniel Dae Kim makes bags of money and steps over the body of Peter Levkov on his way to the bank. 

• Love 5

This show is exactly what it would be like if a bunch of high school students wrote a TV pilot. I won't watch another minute, but I've already gotten the chance to make several people laugh very hard by explaining the show and then reciting Shaun's final (inexplicably successful) monologue about the bunny going to heaven on the day the rain made it smell like ice cream and wanting money to buy a television verbatim, so I thank them for that. I haven't seen a network drama in years - I now assume they're all this bad!

Freddie Highmore is adorable and I think I would continue to watch the show just for him.  That said, I'm not understanding how Shaun came to work at this hospital.  I thought I heard it mentioned that he is a surgical resident?  But you don't just go out and hire residents.  Fourth year medical students participate in a matching program that dictates what kind of residency they get and where they will be working.  So if he is a resident, I don't understand why there was all that brouhaha surrounding the vote whether he would be hired or not.  That would have been decided long before he showed up at the hospital.  And there tend to be at least a couple of surgical residents starting at one time.  Where are the others??

If he is, in fact, an attending surgeon (what someone is after finishing their residency; they are considered fully trained and are allowed to work on their own), then Other Attending Dude was waaaaaaaay out of line with that comment on how Shaun would never be doing anything more than holding a suction tube during procedures.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Pink-n-Green said:

Freddie Highmore is adorable and I think I would continue to watch the show just for him.  That said, I'm not understanding how Shaun came to work at this hospital.  I thought I heard it mentioned that he is a surgical resident?  But you don't just go out and hire residents.  Fourth year medical students participate in a matching program that dictates what kind of residency they get and where they will be working.  So if he is a resident, I don't understand why there was all that brouhaha surrounding the vote whether he would be hired or not.  That would have been decided long before he showed up at the hospital.  And there tend to be at least a couple of surgical residents starting at one time.  Where are the others??

If he is, in fact, an attending surgeon (what someone is after finishing their residency; they are considered fully trained and are allowed to work on their own), then Other Attending Dude was waaaaaaaay out of line with that comment on how Shaun would never be doing anything more than holding a suction tube during procedures.

Yes, he is a surgical resident, and you're right - in the Real World none of what was presented as to how he ended up at that hospital would have ever happened.

The show is playing fast and loose with a LOT of things.

Check out the following for more:

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Yes, he is a surgical resident, and you're right - in the Real World none of what was presented as to how he ended up at that hospital would have ever happened.

The show is playing fast and loose with a LOT of things.

Check out the following for more:

Yeah, considering what was going on in the residents' on-call room at the beginning of the show, I'm starting to question exactly WHY my husband never got home when he should have as a resident!  (just kidding...kinda)

• Love 3

I thought this was really bad.  I love Highmore but oof, the writing, the theatrics.  

I thought young Shaun looked nothing like older Shaun and the brother looked more like Highmore.  The other kid didn't even have the right eye color.  They should've used Highmore himself if they couldn't find a kid who looked more like him.  

I told myself if bro died in the warehouse I was out.  So cliche.   

And making Shawn say "went to heaven" for died, twice, was stupid.   Like his autism makes him talk like a three year old?   He handles medical terminology fine.      

On 9/26/2017 at 8:49 AM, MakeMeLaugh said:

I could do away with all the imaging of the cardiovascular systerm floating around--I hope Show quits doing that as it's distracting.

They used to have similar animated sequences on House as well, and I got tired of them.  But they seem to serve more of a purpose on this show, demonstrating Dr. Murphy's eidetic memory as he reasons things out.  Sometimes the imagery looked like textbooks and diagrams.  So I actually accept them as having more of a place here.

I liked House, although that show had flaws.  There are flaws here also, but it's only the pilot, and pilots rarely have all the kinks worked out.  The main character is well acted and likable, so they have the most important part down.  They can work on the rest.

• Love 2

I'll admit that the sole reason I gave this show a chance was because of Freddie Highmore (I was a huge Bates Motel fan and he did phenomenal as Norman Bates on that show), but oddly I find myself being drawn in to the storyline of Shaun's past and how he deals with everything in the current day. I love how he told off Melendez at the end of this episode; it was totally deserved on Melendez's part. I hope eventually Shaun can show enough to make Melendez feel dumb for writing him off from the get-go.

• Love 1

Just had to get this off my chest. This guy is not your typical “high functioning” guy. In my opinion, high functioning people are those that appear pretty normal. Nothing like this guy. Then again, this is Hollywood’s idea of autism. And of course the guy has to be a genius. Because that’s Hollywood’s idea about autism, too.

• Love 1

Finally got around to watching this. In addition to some of the other problematic areas noted above, let me add two of my own:

1. Where the hell were Adam's parents after they arrived at the hospital? Why couldn't they have had Dr. Shaun come in to the hospital with them or at least explain to the staff there what his role was?

2. Why do they keep referring to the hospital as "San Jose St. Bonaventure?" Unless there's another St. Bonaventure Hospital within a 300-mile radius, it seems unnecessary. And didn't anyone realize they have two different saints' there? (I even noticed that the doctors had the full name of the hospital embroidered on their lab coats. 

Also, is this supposed to be a Catholic hospital? 

I really enjoyed this show.  I do wish that they had some average-looking staff.  Everyone is attractive, well-groomed.  It would be nice to see some who look exhausted, with hair pulled back in a messy ponytail, wearing frumpy scrubs.  Just me nitpicking :)

• Love 1

"San Jose St. Bonaventure" = City/ Hospital.  Maybe the implication is that there's a St. Bonaventure Hospital in the neighboring city. 

But that point, as well as any other criticisms about unrealistic bits, is mostly meaningless (not totally; the fiction must still have coherence)  in fiction, where the "suspension of disbelief" (Coleridge) is the prevailing principle.

I just watched the Pilot episode, since it followed "The Bachelor." I will now binge-catch up, as the lead actor, new to me, is superb. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 2

Shaun gives an endearing explanation of why he became a doctor, and suddenly all those adament trepidations about his killing a future patient are dispelled, while the video of his brilliantly saving a boy's life didn't make a dent? It feels like the writers painted themselves into a corner with the dialogue and were running out of time.

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

Hang in, Bobbin; it gets better. I agree the early episodes had a lot of serious BS going on. I almost quit in disgust. But I'm glad I stuck it out.

The ancillary players become MUCH better, too.

• Love 6
On 1/1/2018 at 11:41 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

"San Jose St. Bonaventure" = City/ Hospital.  Maybe the implication is that there's a St. Bonaventure Hospital in the neighboring city.  

It's a TV thing, like the erstwhile "Seattle Grace."

• Love 1
18 hours ago, jhlipton said:

The ancillary players become MUCH better, too.

So true.  I didn't particularly care for any of them initially, and I really disliked Melendez. Now I like all of them, and Melendez is my favorite. 

• Love 4