Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: 11 Years Later

was really looking forward to this but now have a bad taste in my mouth after seeing them appear on the vile megyn kelly show. ( i only watched because of the cast) . nauseating. why did nbc think this was a good move. why is she even on nbc? shame. 

• Love 6

I had a bad feeling from the start because it just screams "NONE OF US CAN GET WORK."  Plus, it's all the things I hated the first time around - the mania, the pandering, the "topicality." I just think it's a bad time in our history for me to find bad people funny.

• Love 16

The laugh track/live audience/whatever was obnoxiously loud! And the intro where they over-explained everything to the audience was even more obnoxious.

The writing was still funny, but they all seemed to be overacting. Too extra.

Will still watch though, heh.

Edited by ExplainItAgain
  • Love 20

They scored points with me by referring to the "finale that was but wasn't."

The way Karen was sitting on the Oval Office couch was great.

I think they had some hits and misses. I am in line with their political leanings but if that's going to be the whole season, I will tire of it very quickly. 

Who was the secret service agent with Jack? He looked familiar.

• Love 18
Just now, Eureka said:

They scored points with me by referring to the "finale that was but wasn't."

The way Karen was sitting on the Oval Office couch was great.

I think they had some hits and misses. I am in line with their political leanings but if that's going to be the whole season, I will tire of it very quickly. 

I feel like they're trying desperate to be topical and relevant, but they're 8 full months behind.  

• Love 5

I give it a solid "B"  I did laugh quite a few times.The Oval Office stuff was a bit much though, especially the Secret Service guy. I don't remember, did this show stretch believability/jokes that far?(like the SS guy)   I will definitely keep watching and I don't mind a smattering of political humor, especially at the expense of 45.

The laugh track/live audience/whatever was obnoxiously loud!

Laugh tracks are awful and this was no exception. It seemed to be a mixture of track and live, which as weird.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 10

I did laugh at the nudge wink at the retcon, but I hope that this is the final overall episode about the presidency.  It's no secret that they were pro Clinton which is fine.  But it's getting exhausting. 

Aside: not sure if I like the updated theme song.  

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Tara Ariano said:

For those put off by the politics: as we say in the podcast, they may have been trying to get it all out of their system as fast as possible. I've seen the next two episodes and they don't revolve around current events.

Good to know!
happy the show is back and that nobody aged badly. *shallow*

• Love 9

I like all of these actors, but don't particularly enjoy when sitcoms get political. Partly because I don't want to think about politics 24/7, and partly because the jokes tend to be stale. Comparing 45 to a Cheeto isn't exactly original. 

As the great Jean Smart once said, "If you're supposed to be funny, be funny." 

• Love 23
18 minutes ago, jodie said:

The way this was advertised you would think it was the greatest show ever made.

MTE.  Critics have been hyping this reboot left and right.  I expected better than this for the premiere. 

On the plus side: the group basically falls back into their roles like a slipper.  They have an ease from years of working with each other and it shows.  That was nice.  No awkwardness.

However...the political stuff was a fail.  It was kinda funny at first, but not that funny, and it went on too long.  And the longer it went on, the broader it got.  When Grace "casually" opened the bag of Cheetos...really?  Enough already.  And all the winking to the audience?  Just silly, and another gag that they stretched to the breaking point.

As one of the few who thought the series finale made sense, I really hate how they're doing the "it was all a dream" bullshit.  Years ago, the writers painted themselves into a corner with Will and Grace's co-dependence on each other, and everyone knew it.  But apparently Karen dreamed up the final season, not just the finale.  So stupid and lazy.  But what's done is done, so I gotta let that go.  

It's not Must See TV by a mile, but I'll watch again, I guess.  At least we have DVRs now. 

If the last season really didn't happen, then maybe they can bring back Nathan as Grace's future/alternate reality boyfriend, and not Leo, the plank of wood.

• Love 6

I laughed out loud many times. I also thought the final conversation about how Karen said that w&g were sad when they were political was confirming that the rest of the episodes would be less about 45.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Eureka said:

Kyle Bornheimer.  He's been in a bunch of sitcoms. I know him from " Angel from hell" and "playing house."

Edited by backformore
  • Love 2

I guess I’m okay with pretending that almost all of season 8 didn’t happen. It’s not.. great but it is what it is, I don’t like the idea of babies being in this show and I personally wouldn’t like the idea of Grace and Wills kids being pretty much raised by their exs off screen and then being absent parents pretty much.

I loved the finale, but I get why they did what they did.

As for the episode.. I laughed and I missed these characters so much.

• Love 8

I was looking forward to the reboot...but thought the first episode fell a little flat.  But I'll give them a pass because I'm sure they felt it necessary to bring everyone up to speed with where the characters are. Its so funny they brought up the finale because I honestly told someone the other day that I vaguely remember the finale having to do with Will and Grace taking their kids to college but I couldnt remember if one of the characters was dreaming or not. LMAO.    I'll give the show another week or 2.  But with the ABC lineup and football its got to get better for me to stick with it.

As for the epi itself...I didnt mind the political jokes, I just wished it was more original.  And I definitely thought they were trying too hard to fit in all of the political phrases they could.  Like the "fake news" line was a little painful to hear.  

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 4

@SparklesBitch - you make an excellent point and I agree with you.

For me I got bored and the episode reminded me of Fuller House where the actors ham into the camera.  I only saw 10 minutes of that first show and I think I am out of this one.  It was too much like the old show but with less wittiness.  I liked Jack and he translated well to the new season, same for Karen.  I thought, as I did many years ago, that Will and Grace were the least liked of the 4 main characters.  Where is Rosie the maid?  She was very funny.  Where is Jack's son?  He was a character for Jack to show some normalcy.

• Love 2

I am with those who found the laugh track completely distracting. I think the folks behind W&G know better, but they are with a network who employed an extremely questionable reality host for years. And waited until weeks before the election to release a 10 year old tape. So...way to be edgy with the reboot, guys?

I liked watching the show because I like watching the actors together. I HATE the finale whitewash. W&G really suffered the last couple of seasons and even though they totally ripped off the Mad About You ending I thought the W&G finale was sweet and kind of charming. Also, are we now supposed to go with Stanley coming back from the dead twice?  

I am all for Kyle Bornheimer becoming Jack's season-long love interest. Ken Wins!

• Love 4

Actually really enjoyed this episode, I laughed a lot throughout and it was nice to have some familiar friends back on TV. I didn't mind the political stuff, especially since I assumed every episode wouldn't be that way, and I agree with the political leanings (which, it'd be hard to support a show with gay main characters while also supporting administration that wants to take away rights and protections for the LGBTQ community, so not  a big shock that I'm okay with the jokes.)

I didn't really notice the laugh track, at least not enough to be bothered by it. Definitely keeping this show on the must watch list this year. I also expect the hammy winks at the audience will be less and less, this was the re-introduction, they had to cram it all in for us.

Edited by roctavia
  • Love 22

I liked it, too. I do think some of the jokes were a little fast, to the point where I felt some of them didn't have the time to land fully, and the interactions and banter did feel a little manic in places. But the chemistry was still there, I liked the storyline for the episode, and I liked the stuff with Jack and the Secret Service guy, too. 

And I'll echo those who had no problem with the political jokes. I especially liked that last shot with the hat. 

• Love 14

Meh.  A couple of jokes about politics would have been enough, but this was too much.  I'll try one more episode, but if there's a lot of politics I'm out.  I watch sitcoms to escape the real world. 

I'd rather watch "Jack & Karen" than "Will & Grace."  The two of them are so good together.

• Love 7

Ugh, this was just so so sad. There's nothing worse than watching old people try (and fail) to be young. Spit takes and pillow fights (where the feathers fly out of the pillows, naturally) are such lazy "comic" devices. I think the premier will get big numbers just from the morbid curiosity... Next week mid to low 1's.

• Love 9

They are not firing on all cylinders yet, but I think it will improve. A lot of the lines were quite funny, but I had to keep backing up  my DVR because they were talking so fast I missed them.  As with the original version, I enjoy it more when they are just hanging out versus an absurd story plot. 

Did not get the bit with Grace's new male assistant. .... What the hell was that?

• Love 7

Watching this episode felt a bit like putting on a pair of jeans I loved a decade or two ago. Doesn't look right anymore, but damn if it isn't oddly comforting. I'll admit it was a little off. At some points it seemed like they were going for the feel of their live shows? There was something so hammy about it in a way that I don't recall from the earlier episodes, but maybe that's just nostalgia glasses. I'll watch again, but this was not an auspicious start.

Oh, and hopping in the shallow end for a second: it seems like Debra Messing put on a little weight or something and she looks FANTASTIC. They all look good, but I thought Debra looked better than on the original run.

Edited by BabyVegas
  • Love 10

I was worried going into this viewing. I was so damn excited about the return. A show that made me laugh for years (but had lost its spark in the waning season with its riduclousness) that I was beginning to think my expectations will ruin it. Well I was wrong, this episode made me laugh out loud quite a bit. Haven't laughed this much since I finished binge watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. So glad it's back, feels like it never went away.

It definitely felt like an episode though having to explain things to get everybody into a position where they can just exist as if the season finale never happened. My only concern with how they handled wiping the slate clean is just how much of Season 8 didn't happen? Because for there to not be kids, it means Grace was never pregnant. Now in my head, I could justify Karen's 'dream' as perhaps Grace had just gotten fat during Season 8 and we saw it as a pregnancy. But there were a couple of major story points that revolved around that pregnancy - in particular the fight between Will and his dad over Will's baby blanket being given to Grace as a present. I know I shouldn't be thinking too deep about a sitcom, but that's one story point that doesn't make sense with the hand wave.

I didn't mind the political jokes, because they made me laugh. Glad to hear they disappear though, which was strongly hinted with Karen's remark at the end. And I know that some people have complained about the laughter (is it live or recorded)? But truthfully, its nice to have a sitcom with laughter. I can't explain it, but I feel it helps make a show feel more like a comedy when there is laughter. Definitely tuning in for more. And it's gonna be worth the $12 a month I have to pay to view it.

Welcome back gang.

Edited by Bill1978
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, TVbitch said:

A lot of the lines were quite funny, but I had to keep backing up  my DVR because they were talking so fast I missed them

I found that, too.  I kept turning up the sound because I was missing things.

6 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Did not get the bit with Grace's new male assistant. .... What the hell was that?

Yes - seemed out of place.  Didn't get it at all.

7 hours ago, camom said:

I'd rather watch "Jack & Karen" than "Will & Grace."

I think we need all four - a little Karen goes a LONG way.

Overall, I liked it.  Hopeful for some good comedy!

• Love 6

I dunno. A man can father a child at any age if he wants one. Women have a very limited number of years to do so, and Grace had expressed the desire more than once to become a mother. Now I'm not the kind of person who defines a woman by motherhood:  I'm middle-aged, female, and childless myself. If you want kids, great. If you don't want kids, great. Grace was depicted as wanting them. It just kind of feels like doing this big time-skip without her becoming a Mom...I feel like she was cheated out of something that meant a lot to her. *shrugs*

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Amethyst said:

However...the political stuff was a fail.  It was kinda funny at first, but not that funny, and it went on too long.  And the longer it went on, the broader it got.  When Grace "casually" opened the bag of Cheetos...really?  Enough already.

I agree - I lean with the show politically, but I want to watch 30 minutes of a sitcom to escape from the world, not hear more semi-stale jokes about #45. I will still watch as I heard the rest of episodes are better.  

• Love 4
5 hours ago, BabyVegas said:

I'll admit it was a little off. At some points it seemed like they were going for the feel of their live shows? There was something so hammy about it in a way that I don't recall from the earlier episodes, but maybe that's just nostalgia glasses. 

This is what I was trying to say. Almost like they were on stage, acting to the last row of the theater. Their voices and actions...everything seemed a little "big."

• Love 4