Type keyword(s) to search

Silicon Valley Cast & Crew in Other Roles

• Start Topic

Kumail Nanijani's movie The Big Sick (which he wrote, starred in, and produced) has been nominated for several awards!

So far the movie has already won:
AFI Awards - Movie of the Year
Hollywood Film Awards - Comedy Ensemble of the Year
International Online Cinema Awards - Best Supporting Actress: Holly Hunter
Nantucket Film Festival - Best Narrative Feature
Phoenix Critics Circle - Best Comedy Film
SXSW - Festival Favorites

It's still up for a bunch of other awards including:

Screen Actors Guild Awards
Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role - Holly Hunter

Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards
Best Picture
Best Comedy
Best Actor in a Comedy - Kumail Nanijani
Best Actress in a Comedy - Zoe Kazan
Best Supporting Actress - Holly Hunter
Best Original Screenplay - Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanijani

Chicago Film Critics Association Awards
Best Original Screenplay - Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanijani

Independent Spirit Awards
Best First Screenplay - Emily V. Gordon and Kumail Nanijani

• Love 1
On 12/21/2017 at 4:50 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Kumail Nanijani's movie The Big Sick (which he wrote, starred in, and produced) has been nominated for several awards!

And now an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay! I had higher hopes for The Big Sick but I think it just lost steam and there were stronger contenders in some of the categories they had a shot at (supporting actress, comedy/musical at the Golden Globes).

• Love 1
On 4/26/2018 at 5:39 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Trailer for Jimmy O. Yang's movie Crazy Rich Asians. Jimmy said he hopes this is the Asian version of Black Panther (aka the movie that shows Hollywood you can cast Asians as love interests and in lead roles and make money).

Great cast good lord!

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

Suzanne Cryer, who plays Laurie Beam, was the "yada, yada, yada" girl on Seinfeld. 

Please pardon my lack of finesse here, but there's really no other way to say it: Holy shit.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Suzanne Cryer, who plays Laurie Beam, was the "yada, yada, yada" girl on Seinfeld. 

And years ago, she played a virtual twin of Laurie on Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place, in which she went from guest to recurring to regular.

1 minute ago, Portia said:

Suzanne Cryer does NOT look her age.  Not remotely.

I just looked her up on IMDB, and she's 51! I thought she was in her early 40s. A little on the old side for her character to be pregnant, but not outrageously so.

• Love 2

Don't know if anybody is looking at this page much, but here is a sighting of a Silicon Valley actor that surprised me hugely -- we were watching again "I'll See You in My Dreams" with Blythe Danner and Sam Elliott. The story involves a perfectly nice widowed lady (Danner) who gets into friendships with two very different men -- Sam Elliott, and one named Ralph or Roy or the like, who is the guy who cleans her swimming pool.  He is quiet but pleasant, they get into long thoughtful conversations, talk about their lives, and go out to a karaoke bar.  Very sweet, really.  I looked up the actor whose name is Martin Starr -- it's Guilfoyle !  Satanist, master of negativity, hater of virtually everything.  Amazing.  If the movie comes up, have a glance.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Chippings said:

I looked up the actor whose name is Martin Starr -- it's Guilfoyle !  Satanist, master of negativity, hater of virtually everything.  Amazing.  If the movie comes up, have a glance.  

Martin Starr is a really good actor. I haven't seen the movie you mentioned - whenever I see Blythe Danner all I can think about is that she raised the pretentious twit and hawker of pseudo-science Gwyneth Paltrow - but I've seen Martin in the web series Burning Love (Kumail Nanjiani was in it too) as well as SNL's Girls parody. He's quite versatile.

• Love 3

Since Russ Hanneman showed back up I just wanted to mention that his actor, Chris Diamantopoulos, has been voicing Mickey Mouse since 2013 in the new Mickey shorts (which btw are quite enjoyable). 

ETA: If anyone is watching the new Ducktales, Chris also voices Storkules and the new Darkwing Duck while Big Head, Josh Brener, voices tech mogul/sort of nemesis Mark Beaks.

Edited by Matt K

And here again was Martin Starr (Guilfoyle) on 'Schooled' on ABC (the spin-off from 'Goldbergs'), playing a video store manager -- and with either a very good wig,or a serious haircut.   We let out such a whoop when we saw him!  

Edited by Chippings
  • Love 2
On 1/18/2020 at 12:10 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Zach Woods discusses Silicon Valley, Kumail Nanjiani's new body, and his new show Avenue 5 on Jimmy Kimmel

I barely got through the Avenue 5 pilot. I laughed during the frozen blood scene, but that was it. A shame, since I love Zach Woods and Suzy Nakamura.