Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: It Wasn't Enough

• Start Topic

If this were the first couple of seasons of the show, I'd be annoyed a little more by the fakeout, but now that I'm kind of over it, I think it's hilarious. They really stopped giving a shit about quality, huh?

Count me in among the people really not looking forward to Kelly and Stella getting back together. I actually got invested in his storyline last year with Anna. I bought into the connection with them, and I just don't see that with Stella. So now I'm super annoyed. It didn't work the first time, so what's the point?

I still really like Evie. Maybe it's because she doesn't really have that much going on, but I like the actress. Just please, show, don't force the Antonio/Evie nonsense again! That's all I've resigned myself to for her. I'll consider that a win. 

10 hours ago, mehtotheworld said:

Count me in among the people really not looking forward to Kelly and Stella getting back together. I actually got invested in his storyline last year with Anna. I bought into the connection with them, and I just don't see that with Stella. So now I'm super annoyed. It didn't work the first time, so what's the point?

I think Anna was the setup for a narrative pivot with Severide. Until last season he'd boink anything that moved. My guess is that after he goes through a few life-altering events, including almost being paralyzed in a fall, and nearly being sent up the river for vehicular homicide, he realizes maybe it's time to reconsider his life choices. Anna's death was a body blow that hit him in one of the worst years of his life. From a narrative position, when you knock down a hero character that far, you do it for a reason.

I don't think he looks at Kidd as a potential partner at this point, but he knows her, trusts her, and values her friendship. She's been there for him (as a friend) when he was at his worst last season. She wants more, and I think it's fairly obvious they'll end up together as a couple sooner rather than later, but the question is, will his trials and tribulations from last season pay off with the ending of the Chicago Manwhore and the start of a long-term relationship and a shift to a different Severide. I hope so. I like Kidd, she's loyal to a fault with him and even though their chemistry on-screen hasn't been great (perhaps that's they way it's being written deliberately?), I like the pairing. Perhaps if they can stay friends/room-mates, and out of each others' pants, until the November break then maybe the writers will follow through with this plan.

Thing is, though, the show invariably hits the reset button too often and Big Changes rarely stick, so I'm not hopeful that they could pull this off in the long term.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
11 hours ago, mehtotheworld said:

I still really like Evie. Maybe it's because she doesn't really have that much going on, but I like the actress. Just please, show, don't force the Antonio/Evie nonsense again! That's all I've resigned myself to for her. I'll consider that a win. 

(Do you mean Sylvie Brett?)

13 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

(Do you mean Sylvie Brett?)

Yep, upon further research, that is definitely her name! Ha, not sure where I got Evie. I swear I've seen this show for at least 4 of the 5 seasons, and I actually do like the character! 

13 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

I think Anna was the setup for a narrative pivot with Severide. Until last season he'd boink anything that moved. My guess is that after he goes through a few life-altering events, including almost being paralyzed in a fall, and nearly being sent up the river for vehicular homicide, he realizes maybe it's time to reconsider his life choices. Anna's death was a body blow that hit him in one of the worst years of his life. From a narrative position, when you knock down a hero character that far, you do it for a reason.

I don't think he looks at Kidd as a potential partner at this point, but he knows her, trusts her, and values her friendship. She's been there for him (as a friend) when he was at his worst last season. She wants more, and I think it's fairly obvious they'll end up together as a couple sooner rather than later, but the question is, will his trials and tribulations from last season pay off with the ending of the Chicago Manwhore and the start of a long-term relationship and a shift to a different Severide. I hope so. I like Kidd, she's loyal to a fault with him and even though their chemistry on-screen hasn't been great (perhaps that's they way it's being written deliberately?), I like the pairing. Perhaps if they can stay friends/room-mates, and out of each others' pants, until the November break then maybe the writers will follow through with this plan.

Thing is, though, the show invariably hits the reset button too often and Big Changes rarely stick, so I'm not hopeful that they could pull this off in the long term.

Sylvie's comment at the bar about getting comforted by half of Chicago, or whatever she said, was actually kind of surprising to me because I absolutely was expecting something a little more along the lines of the end of the manwhoring and the beginning of a more serious kind of guy. Still really not feeling the pairing, even with the potential character arc. The lack of chemistry gets to me, and I'm not sure exactly what their connection is. It just all seems awkward and forced to me. The show has spent 5 seasons waiting for a pairing to stick with Kelly, and this is what they might be coming up with? Not exciting at all. Boooo, show.

This opening season show was likely the most stupid ever written for this program.  When we watch these shows, the idea is, we're supposed to forget that the characters are actors, and get into the story.  That's pretty much impossible when what we're seeing is laughably unbelievable.

So the cliffhanger last fall, was a number of firefighters trapped in a burning warehouse -- it looked like they were all goners.

The show opens this year, and Chief Boden announces with great drama, that he has made the impossibly difficult decision to deploy the 'water canon'.  We are not privy to what that might be, but a couple of the firefighters standing around, nearly mess their pants when the chief announces this.  They might react the same if he'd announced he was going to shoot at the building with 'real' canons.  And to make matters ever more incredibly stupid, he does a 10 second countdown, as if they they're planning to launch a space rocket.  At the end of the 10 seconds, they turn on some hoses and start hosing down the sides of the building and roof.  This is so stupid that the show is ruined for me; it's turned into a comedy.

Eventually all are rescued.  In spite of Mouch appearing to be dead, and the others surrounded by flames -- Casey unconscious -- a few weeks later, not one of them has so much as a red spot, where they might have been scorched.  Mouch looks ready to run a marathon.

In the school at the end, the Chief is inside, looking for his wife.  Eventually she is found, and dragged out -- flames everywhere, impeding their progress.  Miraculously, as they emerge from the front of the school, everyone is standing around with their thumbs in their bums, and someone tells the Chief that the fire is out.  He was just in Dante's Inferno 10 or 15 seconds ago.

Lordy, give me a break.  I don't think I can take this show anymore.

I think we need a pairing of some other shows, just for the storylines.  An asteroid is going to hit Chicago!  Only two of 51's firefighters are allowed in the ark to save humanity.  Chief Boden wrestles with the decision.  Or, the idiots at the Wall have run the Airplane through it, allowing hybrids (yes, killer zebras) to run rampant through Chicago!  Station 51 to the rescue!  Deploy the water cannon,  5-4-3-2-1!  Or, the evil Dr. Vellek has sailed the Greek Navy into Lake Michigan and is threatening the entire western shoreline!  Not even the Nathan James nor the intrepid Vulture team can save it.  Molly's takes a direct hit.  Now it's personal!

On September 29, 2017 at 7:30 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

I totally agree.  How did Mouch make it?  Herrmann was doing CPR on him for like an hour... and why did Casey get a medal and not Herrmann?  Casey did nothing but save himself under a bookshelf or something, right?

Casey did save a civilian whom he gave his mask to. He must have covered him with his body when he pulled that metal cabinet down. Besides, at the ceremony Boden had mentioned that the medal wasn't only for that warehouse fire but for his everyday bravery and valor on the streets of Chicago. Do you seriously think that Casey doesn't deserve it?!

50 minutes ago, Pallada said:

Casey did save a civilian whom he gave his mask to. He must have covered him with his body when he pulled that metal cabinet down. Besides, at the ceremony Boden had mentioned that the medal wasn't only for that warehouse fire but for his everyday bravery and valor on the streets of Chicago. Do you seriously think that Casey doesn't deserve it?!

Maybe he deserves one, sure, but then why not one for everyone else, too?  At least Severide, he's saved just as many people as Casey I'm sure.  Or Herrmann, who just by age alone has been on the job longer, and could be a lieutenant if there was an opening, hasn't he saved a lot of people too?  

Giving Casey a medal was just silly to me - all it did was create a reason for everyone to be in uniform and emotional, so they could use it as the preview and try to make viewers think it was a funeral.  That's all it was.

On 9/29/2017 at 8:36 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

What did Casey do to deserve a medal? I must have missed something because the first 5 minutes made no sense. 

Nope...I wondered as well. The only thing I could figure is that the writers wanted to tease the "funeral" scene with Casey's ginormous photo, and they really couldn't without a reason. Also, why was Gabby wearing a black dress and not her uniform?

Regarding Donna - she's at the school for about five minutes and she's the only one who suspects arson? How convenient for her, being the fire chief's wife and all.

Casey saved a civilian in the fire.  He went from last season's taking off his mask because he had given up and wanted Gabby to hear his voice to this season's taking it off because he had put it on a victim.  When Boden counted down, you can see him get on top of the victim and pull the cabinet over both of them for protection.  

I think Boden also said something at the ceremony about Casey's just general awesomeness.

On 9/29/2017 at 9:18 AM, SuzieQ said:

It really makes zero sense that none of the CFD died in that fire.  Not saying i wanted them to, but after that being the cliffhanger, it's a little too pat.

How many though Casey died? That was the set up for that medal he got.  Showing his pic I thought he was a goner!

I thought this was such a cheap stunt, down to making the ceremony look like a funeral with honours, rather than an award.