Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Kate Goes to Church

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Jen and Chris are useless. Bruno is annoying. Baker is completely in the background. I don't really care for any of them.

The only newbie that's remotely interesting is Matt. Though I'm vaguely turned off by his bro talk (maybe that happens with all guys?) he seems to be both a competent chef and an experienced yachtie. I was as impressed as Nico and Lee that without prompting he recognized they were in trouble and came out to help dock. Take note, Bruno.

I miss Kate snarking with someone. I miss Ben and his slightly inappropriate comments and creepy laugh. I miss Amy and her unparalleled enthusiasm and positive attitude. I miss Kelley and his try hard ways. Most of this cast is either completely boring or too dumb to make for interesting television, either if the train wreck or the educational variety.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 7
16 hours ago, dleighg said:

I have never followed the RH franchise but I caught one of them on the latest episode of Flipping Out (at least I think that's where she was "from") and yes, there certainly seems to be a type. Do they bottle that hair color just for RH's? Does anyone think that looks like they were born that way?

There was a style back in the 60's through early 80's where this was THE look-- the suntanned blond.  I know, I was one of them.  It was fun.  These ladies were having a blast with their suntanned blond selves :)  Living the good life again!  And there are women with silver blond hair, naturally.  But how many of todays pink haired girls are born that way? ;)

• Love 2

I think this show is trying too hard to keep a certain formula.  The (supposedly) 'hot' girl all the guys salivate over and the newbie crew members who don't know what they're doing.  I rewatched  Seasons 1-3 a few months ago and remembered just why I loved this show and why I hopefully tune back in every season.  I want a flamboyant chef like Ben, I want superior, catty Kate, I want Kat who cant keep her undies on but has a good work ethic, I want Amy who is a Super Stew.  Heck, I miss Rocky-- crazy as she was.  At least she was never boring!  This crew is b-o-r-i-n-g........  How could Kate throw a 'Who's the Best Diver?' contest with these weak noodles?!  Gah!

• Love 5

Jen leaves her child to live out her dream of cleaning up after people, announcing to the world she can orgasm on command, and then gets sloppy drunk. Yes, that's really showing your child it's important to live out your dreams!  I'm convinced she's also hoping that this show is her ticket to reality show fame.  And that she thinks she's the second coming of Lucille Ball.

• Love 13

First rule of being a boss: Never believe a complainer until you hear both sides of the story.  Bruno has far too high an opinion of himself, and Nico needs to drop him a peg or two.  Ditto Jen.  What a sloppy, ditzy, incompetent woman.  I love that Kate don't tolerate.  I would love to see Bruno, Jen and Chris Brown given their exit interviews.  Only Chris Brown could belately realize that anchor watch is a punishment and then complain that the punishment is the wrong type of punishment.  He is a lazy, sloppy, incompetent man...wait, I'm repeating myself!  Gah!

• Love 3

That was NOT a "big" afro…my son has a bigger one if we let his hair grow for  a few months.  Embarrassing.  And Kate making Jen wear it as a punishment was stupid.  Interesting that Kate has her own special set of rules; I think she always has, they just haven't shown it as much.

Chris Brown is more useless than he was on day 1.  I hope he'll be fired and we'll get a decent deckhand in both competency and drama.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, sasha206 said:

I'm convinced she's also hoping that this show is her ticket to reality show fame.  And that she thinks she's the second coming of Lucille Ball.

I expressed the exact same opinion in the Jesus Saves thread.  And whoever does the casting for this show obviously shared her assessment of her comedic talent--God knows why.  They have Kate saying at least once an episode that Jen sucks at her job, "But she's hilarious."  So Jen seems to have someone trying to push this delusional narrative to the extent that it's actually worked into the script.  Beats me.

• Love 2
On 9/27/2017 at 1:15 PM, HunterHunted said:

He should be serving coconuts, pineapples, passion fruits, papayas, mangos, breadfruit, uglifruit, tamarind, soursop, plantains, cherimoya, loquat, carambola, guava, mamey sapote, yuca, calabaza, callaloo, chayote, okra, sea bass, swordfish, pompano, mullet, kingfish, yellowtail, tuna, wahoo, snapper, conch, sea urchin, spiny lobster, turtle, grouper, mackerel, and and goat. However, I think it's a balancing act. Lots of people are completely unfamiliar with these ingredients and might be reluctant to try them. However more than anything else, he should really be using local protein because there is a ton of very good local seafood. Though, I really am not a fan of spiny lobster. I think it barely tastes like anything.

Here's the thing:  I remember this from previous seasons:  There is a list of what the primary and guests will and won't eat as well as what they'd like to have on their menu.  It's how we got the tequila tasting a couple of eps back.  Now, it's up to the chef to make that stuff work.  I, too, am married to a chef and I asked him what he would pair with tequila and eggplant parm was NOT his recommendation - he much preferred the red snapper, etal, that ended up as the entree.  There is some latitude, obviously, in the menu.  But if someone is severely allergic to something, that is going to compromise what can be done.  And not all cruisers are adventurous of palate - I can see someone like the real estate ladies being very cautious as to what they eat, ala the Real Pains in the Ass of Orange County.  Given 'adventurous' food, they turned their noses up at it.  It may well be that the ladies were very pleased with Chef's 'boring' menu,

• Love 3

This morning Bravo was showing 'Titanic'.

I tuned in right at the moment when the ship struck the iceberg.  The Captain had been asleep in his quarters and left others in charge.  The crewmembers who were on watch didn't see the iceberg until it was too late and that didn't end well.

My first thought after that epic scene was:  Good thing the Valor doesn't sail in the north Atlantic Ocean.  Because with this crew, Lee would never be able to go to sleep.

• Love 8

I think Kate was unfair to Bruno asking him to dance with the guests at her rubbish party. It is not his job to entertain the guests but hers. She just wanted him to do it as he was the best looking and most available male on the boat - he had every right to say no, especially after he demeaned himself for the guys in the previous charter. Kate is as always very hypocritical and is of the mind set - do as i say, not as i do !

I think the casting is very poor for this season. I think the crew was chosen due to their lack of experience rather than their personalities or characters. As such i think that the producers thought, "hmm how can we make this season entertaining ??". " I know - lets through a bunch of complete novices on the ship and watch disaster unfold - it will be fun  !!". 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I think Kate was unfair to Bruno asking him to dance with the guests at her rubbish party. It is not his job to entertain the guests but hers. She just wanted him to do it as he was the best looking and most available male on the boat - he had every right to say no, especially after he demeaned himself for the guys in the previous charter. Kate is as always very hypocritical and is of the mind set - do as i say, not as i do !

It's actually everyone's job to make sure the guests are entertained. When they are on the ship, Kate is primarily in charge. When the guests are out on the water, the deck crew is in charge of entertainment. However, we've seen the deck crew pitch in to help entertain the guests when the guests were on the ship. They've participated in diving competitions, been in drag, been part of countless dance parties, participated in dance competitions, and a bunch of other stuff to entertain the guests. Last season, Captain Lee rushed to the galley to make a pitcher of drinks. There are very few people on the ship who are exempt from having to participate in foolishness to entertain the guests. Someone needs to remind Bruno that tips are determined by the complete experience and very few guests are going to be impressed by how well Bruno loaded and unloaded the jetskis. If Bruno wants a half decent tip, he'll put on his boogie shoes. You would think he would be good at guest entertainment because that's what he used to do on cruise ships.

I was surprised to hear him say that the deck crew didn't get breaks. The deck crew got breaks on previous seasons. I suspect that they aren't getting breaks this season because they are just so incompetent that you can't have everyone not on deck for more than half an hour.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Marvin said:

I don't.  We have seen many episodes where the whole crew participates.  Bruno, obviously, is not a good deckhand.  It would behoove him to show his stuff as a possible stew.  I think he would like it and be successful at it.

2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

You would think he would be good at guest entertainment because that's what he used to do on cruise ships.

Exactly!

• Love 3

Has Kate ever participated in any of the "fun" guest activities she's planned?  Or does she just require her staff, and the deckhands to dress in drag, wear uncomfortable wigs, stupid get-ups and act as human sushi platters?  Have we ever seen her don a costume?  Jump off the boat? Or even dance?  

Methinks Kate has a huge stick up her arse.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I was surprised to hear him say that the deck crew didn't get breaks. The deck crew got breaks on previous seasons. I suspect that they aren't getting breaks this season because they are just so incompetent that you can't have everyone not on deck for more than half an hour.

It probably takes them twice as long to do their normal duties. Once started a job needs to be completed. I'm also sure when no one is looking they are slacking, or having a wee time out resting on their deck mop. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, jumper sage said:

e just wanted him to do it as he was the best looking and most available male on the boat

On her podcast Kate mentioned that on of Bruno's job on the cruise ship was a dance instructor. Lee indicated that he was disappointed with Bruno's attitude with Kate and he should have done it.

• Love 6
On 9/27/2017 at 10:12 PM, stcroix said:

I think this show is trying too hard to keep a certain formula.  The (supposedly) 'hot' girl all the guys salivate over and the newbie crew members who don't know what they're doing.  I rewatched  Seasons 1-3 a few months ago and remembered just why I loved this show and why I hopefully tune back in every season.  I want a flamboyant chef like Ben, I want superior, catty Kate, I want Kat who cant keep her undies on but has a good work ethic, I want Amy who is a Super Stew.  Heck, I miss Rocky-- crazy as she was.  At least she was never boring!  This crew is b-o-r-i-n-g........  How could Kate throw a 'Who's the Best Diver?' contest with these weak noodles?!  Gah!

At this point, I miss Sam the Rocket Solver.

• Love 2

Jen annoys the shit out of me.  I had to check out her Bravo bio.  She's a freaking realtor?  No way, no how would I buy a doghouse from her.  Of course her bio says she was #2 in sales somewhere.  I used to work in an industry that was real estate related; realtors would put that they were #1 in their office, their region, their brokerage, or got the I'm the bestest realtor award 2017 in every ad or mention they could.  Nada for her in her listings or even in the brokerage page.  I'm betting daddy helps her financially.  She's probably thinking this show will launch her into a Bravo personality, who will be rolling in dough.  Nah.

The other idiots - the one who wouldn't do what Kate asked him - he should've been docked part of the bonus.  Sorry, Lee, he didn't pull his weight because he was so tired.  I looked up that guy's bio/linked in or whatever, too.  Sounded like he was at the front desk on the ship, resolving issues.  How or why would he decide he wanted to be a deckhand?  

The other idiot thought he knew better how to manage the crew than Lee.  Yeah, right.  You can't even manage yourself.  

I still haven't watched this episode.  I tried to twice and fell asleep both times.  Hopefully I'll stay awake for the rerun tonight.  Older seasons are on right now and let me tell you, they are not doing themselves any favors by doing marathons of better seasons before showing the current.  Even Rocky seems not so bad compared to the current bullshit crew.

• Love 2

I'm now completely perplexed as to what Bruno did on cruise ships.

I thought he said he worked in Guest Relations on cruise ships. And, from what I've seen that job consists of having an impassioned expression when an entitled passenger rails on about the cost of internet, the automatic tip, or some other issue with which they should already be familiar. In other words, at that level, he had to nod sympathetically, make a soothing statement, and do nothing.

I am really disliking Captain Lee. He seems foul mouthed and usually in an equally fouI mood. I compare him to a Captain Ian McNaught, the youngest captain of QE2. He was universally admired by both passengers and crew. He loved that ocean liner as much as most of us and after he saw her to her retirement in Dubai he made the decision to not be at the helm of another ship.

I am late to this discussion but since Peacock streaming has it available I have been watching mostly to see the locations and some ships with which I am familiar in the background. The short yacht cruise experience seems pointless to me. I take a ship to get somewhere in luxury, to visit interesting places without having to repack my suitcase, and to have a comfortable bed and great food awaiting me after I have touristed all day.

• Love 3