Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Kate Goes to Church

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

During their night off, Jesus and Kate get to know each other; Chris Brown makes a pass at Brianna; Nico marks the 3-month anniversary of the passing of his brother; a group of fun charter guests arrive ready to party.

Superficial and somewhat off-topic but the way Nico sounds when he speaks is a little off=putting for some reason to me?  English is his first language, isn't it?  Uggh, for some reason when he speaks it really bugs (and he's from my neck of the woods/same part of the Midwest).  I never seemed to notice it last season and maybe it's just me.  Driving me nuts.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, beesknees said:

Superficial and somewhat off-topic but the way Nico sounds when he speaks is a little off=putting for some reason to me?  English is his first language, isn't it?  Uggh, for some reason when he speaks it really bugs (and he's from my neck of the woods/same part of the Midwest).  I never seemed to notice it last season and maybe it's just me.  Driving me nuts.

We kept trying to figure out what was going on with his speech during his first season. He weirdly over enunciates things.

Jen is an entitled imbecile. Nothing Kate asked her to do tonight was egregious. Jen is a fuckwit who needs to shut up. There is also a big difference between Kate leaving to hook up with Hot Jesus after dinner service was concluded and scheduling breaks during the day. Kate shouldn't have left the ship for Hot Jesus, but dinner service was done. Breaks are scheduled throughout the day for the stews. This includes obnoxious Jen. She is really awful.

I'm now completely perplexed as to what Bruno did on cruise ships. He was snotty to Kate about dancing and entertaining the guests. I understand that he was tired, but he didn't seem to have a decent response for Kate.

How the eff did Baker and Chris miss that the spring line was still attached? How embarrassed should the deck crew be that the chef had to leave the galley to help with docking and he did a much better job than any of the deck crew?

Bri seems to be all about Nico's dad bod and chief deckhand dick. Sorry Matt.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 6

I really hate how TPTB casted the crew this season.  I love me some Below Deck but the entire crew is just a BIG yawn this season.  What the hell were they thinking?  I only care about Kate and Captain Lee and Kate needs more interesting contemporaries to snark on.  I hate all the new people.  I take that back.  I don't care enough about the new cast members to even be hating on them.  I'm just disappointed.  I want to snark on the Eddies, the Kellys, the Kats, and BSC Rockys ... Those people.  Chef Ben.

What?  Four episodes in and I am still hanging on but there's nothing to hang on to.  Truly disappointed.  I hope the new replacement crew member they showed in next week's previews is someone I can be interested enough in to keep watching but I doubt it.

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

Excuse me, but what exactly is a spring line and what does it do?  

It's a line tied from the boat to the dock that limits the boat's ability to move forward and backward when docked.

This is the reason that they hit the dock because they were still tied to it.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

Another stupid question.  Is there an actual spring component to the line or is it just a big rope?  I am so embarrassed. 

There is no spring component to it. Spring describes what it does, not what it is. Here's an OK video about spring line docking.

• Love 8

Thanks HunterHunted, I should know this stuff because I grew up next to a lobster fisherman's community on the coast of Maine.  Most of my friends fathers were lobstermen.  In my defense my friends and I were not allowed anywhere near the boats because it was so dangerous.  

• Love 1

I feel terribly for Nico. Considering all he's been through, I think he's actually going a pretty good job holding his shit together. 

Now, if he could just keep it in his pants this season! I hope he can. But he and Bri seem pretty attracted to each other. BAD CALL when he said Bri reminded him of his girlfriend. NO chick wants to hear that!!!

If anything happens, it's on both of them. And I'm not even going to claim that Bri is taking advantage of Nico in the state he's in over losing his brother. BUT.....it really bugged me that she had JUST said yes to a date with Matt, and then she starts turning up the flirtation with Nico. No, she didn't agree to marry Matt or anything. But it was weird. The dude was sitting right there. It was almost like the prospect of going out with a different guy made Bri like Nico MORE. She had no problem turning Chris down, so if she didn't like Matt - she could have just declined. 

Speaking of Chris - damn, he;s such a loser. I like how Nico takes responsibility as a GROUP for what happened with the crash. Deck crew's fault. Period. He didn't try to point fingers. But Chris wants to categorically deny his involvement. The fact that he said that, just shows he doesn't even know WHY that crash happened - which means his sorry ass shouldn't even be on that boat. That scene legit gave me anxiety. They need to make some changes. It's pretty bad when the fucking chef has to come out there and do deck work. 

And I loved the Cap'n giving Chris "anchor watch". Even my husband, playing his computer game in the dining room, had to laugh out loud at that. 

I generally like Kate, but she was working my nerves a bit this episode with that damn afro. Stop trying to make the afro happen! Better yet - YOU put it on! I get it, I get it. She's chief stew. She's earned rank. Still, the leaders who inspire the most loyalty are those who are willing to do anything they ask of their subordinates. Sometimes she needs to chill a bit. (I thought Jen trying to pass the wig off to the guests was a great way to handle it.)

Also, I didn't like her constant "boring" critiques of Matt. I am far from a foodie. I don't eat gourmet food. So my opinion may be irrelevant. But....I don't see Matt as "boring". I see him more as a "simple" cook, but he does an AMAZING job. No, he's not back there coming up with some new, crazy fusion dish, or busting out the molecular gastronomy.  But what he does, he does really well. The guests were thrilled. They loved every bite of food. THAT'S what matters. 

Speaking of the guests, I didn't necessarily think the main lady LOOKED so much like Vicki from the OC, but when she SPOKE? WTF???? Her voice was eerrily similar to Ms. Gunvalson's. And then....I said to my husband, "I'm just waiting for a woohoo" - and she woohooed!!! It was a bit crazy. 

• Love 19
13 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Speaking of the guests, I didn't necessarily think the main lady LOOKED so much like Vicki from the OC, but when she SPOKE? WTF???? Her voice was eerrily similar to Ms. Gunvalson's. And then....I said to my husband, "I'm just waiting for a woohoo" - and she woohooed!!! It was a bit crazy. 

I have never followed the RH franchise but I caught one of them on the latest episode of Flipping Out (at least I think that's where she was "from") and yes, there certainly seems to be a type. Do they bottle that hair color just for RH's? Does anyone think that looks like they were born that way?

1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

anything happens, it's on both of them. And I'm not even going to claim that Bri is taking advantage of Nico in the state he's in over losing his brother. BUT.....it really bugged me that she had JUST said yes to a date with Matt, and then she starts turning up the flirtation with Nico. No, she didn't agree to marry Matt or anything. But it was weird. The dude was sitting right there. It was almost like the prospect of going out with a different guy made Bri like Nico MORE. She had no problem turning Chris down, so if she didn't like Matt - she could have just declined. 

I agree. Also, while this is different from the Malia situation because Matt knows that she and Nico had a drunken night together where both claim to not know what happened it's just not wise to flirt/date two people when you all have to live and work together in a confined space. They need to take a cue from Kate and find a Jesus!

I alreadythought Bruno was whiny and useless but he even went further down in my estimation. He and Baker where supposedly on duty for a certain amount of time but she was helping out the interior crew during this time as most other deckhands have done on both franchises while he stood or sat around complaining that he had to stay up. When he was batching to Kate about being tired and still having to be up he was just sitting around drinking tea so he very clearly does get breaks. I also thought that he totally misrepresented the conversation with Kate to Nico, she was saying the people who succeed in yachting are the people who pitch in even if it's not their job description (see Matt dropping everything to help them dock) if they are available which Bruno clearly was available. I think I hate him as much as Chris.

1 hour ago, dleighg said:

but I caught one of them on the latest episode of Flipping Out (at least I think that's where she was "from") and yes, there certainly seems to be a type. Do they bottle that hair color just for RH's? Does anyone think that looks like they were born that way?

The two women who were on the latest episode of Flipping Out were Lea Black from the short lived RH of Miami and Jackie Segal who is also from Florida but haven't been on the RH.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The two women who were on the latest episode of Flipping Out were Lea Black from the short lived RH of Miami and Jackie Segal who is also from Florida but haven't been on the RH.

Shannon Beador has been on Flipping Out. Jeff was furnishing her new rental house. Last season.  She's friends with Jeff IRL and is on RHOC.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, bichonblitz said:

Shannon Beador has been on Flipping Out. Jeff was furnishing her new rental house. Last season.  She's friends with Jeff IRL and is on RHOC.

As is Lea but since Lea and Jackie were on the latest episode which was the one that was referenced, I was naming them. Jeff is also friends with Vicki and Tamra but thank goodness neither have graced Flipping Out. 

Baker must be a disappointment to thecasting people because she is competent though green, isn't bringing any relationship drama and isn't a whiny asshat like Bruno.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Also, I didn't like her constant "boring" critiques of Matt. I am far from a foodie. I don't eat gourmet food. So my opinion may be irrelevant. But....I don't see Matt as "boring". I see him more as a "simple" cook, but he does an AMAZING job. No, he's not back there coming up with some new, crazy fusion dish, or busting out the molecular gastronomy.  But what he does, he does really well. The guests were thrilled. They loved every bite of food. THAT'S what matters. 

I like Matt, and do think he's very competent. Maybe he had oriented the meals to his guests' preference sheet, but if it were ME on the boat, I'd be underwhelmed by his meals, no matter how well-executed they were. I mean, how good can salmon really get when prepared so simply? I make salmon every week or two and it's always quite good. And arugula salad is just not thrilling. But you're right, they were happy. But I wonder if all guests would be.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I like Matt, and do think he's very competent. Maybe he had oriented the meals to his guests' preference sheet, but if it were ME on the boat, I'd be underwhelmed by his meals, no matter how well-executed they were. I mean, how good can salmon really get when prepared so simply? I make salmon every week or two and it's always quite good. And arugula salad is just not thrilling. But you're right, they were happy. But I wonder if all guests would be.

I promise that you can cook yummy things with quite basic ingerdients.... I'd LOVE Matt's food (and I'm a really good French Chef and restaurant owner's wife ^_^ )

Like in fashion and make-up, sometimes, less is more. Trust me on that one !

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, Diane Mars said:

promise that you can cook yummy things with quite basic ingerdients.... I'd LOVE Matt's food (and I'm a really good French Chef and restaurant owner's wife ^_^ )

And Kate acknowledged that the guests like his food so she felt bad calling it boring but to me boring and delicious aren't mutually exclusive. I guess will find out next week when we get guests who are more particular about their food.

• Love 7

I want to like  Matt.  I really do.  He is tall, good looking, he helped out with docking while the deckhands were flopping around like fish, but his misogynistic comments really turned me off.  Only wanting to bone Bri and talking about her hot bod.  Ugh.  I really hate guys like that.

Am I the only one bothered that these whiney, lazy people get paid so much in tips for a few days work?  It’s crazy. 

Still, I love the show and I love Kate and Cap’n.  I really hope that Nico doesn’t cheat on his girlfriend.

• Love 7

Kate looked really tired in most of her charter scenes. Maybe that sleepover with Jesus?

Crew members have breaks...or they don't. Which is it? I wonder if breaks are contractually/legally obligated for "real" crew members.

I feel a bit sorry for Chris. I'm very familiar with fundamentalist Christianity and what it does to your psyche, and he is probably quite immature and socially inept compared to other guys his age. It's a real challenge to break away from that culture and integrate into the real world.

I thought some of the charter guests looked familiar. Bravo is really cross-pollinating its shows.

• Love 2

Was Kate showing sex bruises from her sleepover with Jesus? I lol'd at her walk of shame. She was even laughing at herself. I also felt  Capt Lee was soft on her when she showed up after the rest of the crew was already awake and beginning their day. He has genuine affection for her. 

• Love 7

So far all the guests seem to have been. I'll wait and reserve judgment until a guest has an issue. If I were on the boat, I'd be happy with chicken and rice and burgers, if it was just REALLY well done. That seems to be how he rolls. 

36 minutes ago, NaughtyKitty said:

I want to like  Matt.  I really do.  He is tall, good looking, he helped out with docking while the deckhands were flopping around like fish, but his misogynistic comments really turned me off.  Only wanting to bone Bri and talking about her hot bod.  Ugh.  I really hate guys like that.

His comments bother me too; they seem so different than how he conducts himself the rest of the time. Is he putting on a big front? Or is he one of those guys that brings out the machismo around other guys because he thinks that's how you're supposed to act? 

26 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

I feel a bit sorry for Chris. I'm very familiar with fundamentalist Christianity and what it does to your psyche, and he is probably quite immature and socially inept compared to other guys his age. It's a real challenge to break away from that culture and integrate into the real world

I can see how this would relate socially, and I can find a pit of empathy for him when it comes to girls and friends, etc. But I don't see how it would relate to his lazy entitlement at WORK. He is just awful. No fucks given. 

27 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

I thought some of the charter guests looked familiar. Bravo is really cross-pollinating its shows.

I thought they had a familiar southern California "look" about them, but I didn't actually recognize ANY of them from other Bravo shows. Were they? 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

I promise that you can cook yummy things with quite basic ingerdients..

I agree. Isn't it all about farm to table, freshest organic ingredients? I like Matt's style of cooking. I guess that makes me an unsophisticated simpleton. Oh, and I don't like salmon so that makes me even more of a simpleton. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Isn't it all about farm to table, freshest organic ingredients?

Which is actually my biggest issue with the salmon and a lot of sourcing on this show. That was clearly frozen salmon because of the logistics involved in getting it there, why not make a great dish with local ingredients.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, pasdetrois said:

... Crew members have breaks...or they don't. Which is it? I wonder if breaks are contractually/legally obligated for "real" crew members...

IMHO, it was more about being a "team player" than anything else... As in : "Yes, you can sometimes be on a break, but when you see your teammates struggle and you have the ability to help them, jump on it, and do it ! They'll do the same for you if (when !) needed" :)

14 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I agree. Isn't it all about farm to table, freshest organic ingredients?

Not only, but the quality of the food, the freshness of it, etc. often make more than 50% of the success of a plate. I dunno if you have both versions of that product in the USA, but, if you have it, that's a relly good example : Mozzarella. The real one, made of 100% of Buffala milk. Or the industrial one, made of 100% cow milk, largely heated, etc. Same name. Absolutely NOT THE SAME product.

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 2

The mishandling of lines wasn't just obvious when they didn't release the spring line.  When Kate was getting on the tender to go to shore and almost fell in, that was Bruno's fault. 

He could have easily, with the tiniest amount of effort - even with one hand tied behind his back, even with just two fingers! - pulled the line that was attached to the boat Kate was trying to board, closer to the boat and closed that gap. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, ryebread said:

When Kate was getting on the tender to go to shore and almost fell in, that was Bruno's fault. 

I thought it was just as much the new first mate who literally just sat there blocking the space where Kate was trying to get on when she repeatedly asked him to move. 

• Love 13
Just now, biakbiak said:

I thought it was just as much the new first mate who literally just sat there blocking the space where Kate was trying to get on when she repeatedly asked him to move. 

His mistake in the first place was getting up there to help her.  Yes, taking up room.  But had Bruno just gotten the tender right up to the inflatable that Kate was boarding from, even if the guy had been there hogging space, she's still small enough to have been able to climb aboard the bow.  But she was also trying to bridge the gap while trying to climb on so it was a cluster.

Maybe that's why Kate dogged Bruno so hard that night.  Because it was his fault she, literally, showed the cameras her ass.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, ryebread said:

His mistake in the first place was getting up there to help her. 

He didn't even really seem to be trying to help her and the reason I pointed it out is because he is in the position that we don't see so much of so should be competent but even the none cast member crew sucks ass.

• Love 4

LOL. True dat. 

He had no need to be up there.  When I rewatched that scene, he came up out of the bow(rider) area to move onto the actual bow.  If he wasn't going up there to help her, then what did he do it for?  I say:  Camera time!

Poor Lee.

• Love 2

Speaking of Lee.  With all the radio communication and hand signals he requires to drop the anchor, I'm surprised there isn't that kind of communication when pulling the boat away from the dock.

Like, don't move the boat until Nico radios, "All lines clear, Captain."

Thing is, if there had been damage done to the boat, HE would be ultimately responsible to the owners.  I'm really surprised he let that happen.

One thing I'm not surprised about is that the bow thruster was dead.  The Valor is a tired, tired lady.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

I agree. Isn't it all about farm to table, freshest organic ingredients?

Lunch: chicken chinese salad with sesame seeds

Dinner: arugula salad with cucumber and balsamic dressing, salmon with dill mashed potato and brocolli, bread pudding with an orange glaze

Does anything there look like "farm to table"? That menu could be seen in any restaurant from California, to Texas, to North Carolina, to Massachusetts. Nothing that says you are eating in the Caribbean. I think farm to table should look different depending on whether you are in the Hudson Valley (where I live) or the Pacific Northwest, or Cape Cod. Or the Caribbean. He didn't say "farm to table" himself. But we shouldn't give him credit for it if he's not doing it. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I agree. Isn't it all about farm to table, freshest organic ingredients? I like Matt's style of cooking. I guess that makes me an unsophisticated simpleton. Oh, and I don't like salmon so that makes me even more of a simpleton. 

5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Which is actually my biggest issue with the salmon and a lot of sourcing on this show. That was clearly frozen salmon because of the logistics involved in getting it there, why not make a great dish with local ingredients.

3 hours ago, dleighg said:

Dinner: arugula salad with cucumber and balsamic dressing, salmon with dill mashed potato and brocolli, bread pudding with an orange glaze

Does anything there look like "farm to table"? That menu could be seen in any restaurant from California, to Texas, to North Carolina, to Massachusetts. Nothing that says you are eating in the Caribbean. I think farm to table should look different depending on whether you are in the Hudson Valley (where I live) or the Pacific Northwest, or Cape Cod. Or the Caribbean. He didn't say "farm to table" himself. But we shouldn't give him credit for it if he's not doing it. 

He should be serving coconuts, pineapples, passion fruits, papayas, mangos, breadfruit, uglifruit, tamarind, soursop, plantains, cherimoya, loquat, carambola, guava, mamey sapote, yuca, calabaza, callaloo, chayote, okra, sea bass, swordfish, pompano, mullet, kingfish, yellowtail, tuna, wahoo, snapper, conch, sea urchin, spiny lobster, turtle, grouper, mackerel, and and goat. However, I think it's a balancing act. Lots of people are completely unfamiliar with these ingredients and might be reluctant to try them. However more than anything else, he should really be using local protein because there is a ton of very good local seafood. Though, I really am not a fan of spiny lobster. I think it barely tastes like anything.

I just found out that Brianna's surname is Adekeye. I've never met a person with that surname who isn't Nigerian. Is she multiracial? Or does she have a Nigerian step-parent?

4 hours ago, ryebread said:

Speaking of Lee.  With all the radio communication and hand signals he requires to drop the anchor, I'm surprised there isn't that kind of communication when pulling the boat away from the dock.

Like, don't move the boat until Nico radios, "All lines clear, Captain."

Thing is, if there had been damage done to the boat, HE would be ultimately responsible to the owners.  I'm really surprised he let that happen.

One thing I'm not surprised about is that the bow thruster was dead.  The Valor is a tired, tired lady.

Lee really shouldn't be making any assumptions about the competence of his deck crew. A call out like "All lines clear" is absolutely necessary for this group. When Lee was on WWHL, he said that he doesn't micromanage unlike Captain Sandy. I think he's completely wrong to not micromanage this crew because they don't know what they're doing. He also said he'd never let the crew drive the boat like Sandy did either. In hindsight, I like Sandy's leadership a little more than Lee's. It was very important to her that her crew knew what they were doing even if it meant micromanaging. At the same time, I thought letting them drive the ship was a good way to encourage them to be interested in furthering their yachting career.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

So what? The guests loved it. That's all that matters. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

So what? The guests loved it. That's all that matters. 

My point (below that quote) was he was being hailed as doing "Farm to Table - Fresh ingredients." Which it isn't. (I sincerely doubt that either salmon or broccoli is "native" to the islands)  

I didn't dispute that the guests liked it, and I believe it tasted good.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Teddybear said:

This is a really boring season and I don't even watch it when it first airs.  I'm not sure if it's bad casting or if the series' ship has sailed (pun intended). LOL. 

and now that you mention it, that disco party was pretty pathetic. I mean I know she didn't have much to work with, but it reminded me of a sad middle school dance. I guess with enough booze it worked for the clients. But it just doesn't scream "luxury travel" to me. Are all clients like this or just the ones who go on this show? I think I know the answer :)

• Love 2

and now that you mention it, that disco party was pretty pathetic. I mean I know she didn't have much to work with, but it reminded me of a sad middle school dance. I guess with enough booze it worked for the clients. But it just doesn't scream "luxury travel" to me. Are all clients like this or just the ones who go on this show? I think I know the answer :)

I think most (or all?) of Kate's party set ups have been lame.  For exactly the reason you said, they just don't scream luxury travel.  Remember how she tried to fashion a shark head out of a moldy old appliance box for Connie PeanutButterBoobs?  Or the Twister game?  Or the toga party and the cardboard lightning bolts? There are others.  You'd think she'd have a box of tricks on board to entertain the guests with. It's kind of her job, yes?

• Love 4