Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E02: Week 2: Ballroom Night

• Start Topic

So I know dances are super short early on, but I thought that was a pretty solid night of dancing for week 2 and two dances this week.  Nobody is really downright awful and everyone has room to improve.

I do think Jordan will make it to the finals. I don't know if he will win but I'd be surprised to not see him there.

Frankie Muniz might be one of the most adorable people on earth. Who knew? Witney's best partnership since Alfonso by a longshot.  One note on Frankie is no matter how well he executes he's always going to be fighting the fact that he doesn't look like nor is built like a dancer. He's not going to be able to do the elegant lines that some others can do.  If he gets near the end it's going to be through sheer determination and adorableness.

Victoria was much much better tonight than last. If she dances like that she could make the finals. Though I think CA had a good point that the tango is a good dance for her in terms of body contact and how she learns.  I think she will have a harder time with the dances that aren't in hold.

Sasha was sooo much better than last week.  Debbie did a pretty decent job with the quickstep.  Vanessa is pretty good.  Derek needs to work on technique, but is fun.

I want to like Lindsey Sterling more than I do. I like her dance but kind of hated the whole emerging from the cocoon thing as it felt hokey and too literal. I am generally on board with Mark's creativity but didn't necessarily think this one was so crazy and out of the box.

So TO tomorrow night? He's the only one that legit got a bad edit.

I know a lot of people don't love Keo and don't think he deserves to be a pro, but I think he did as well as anybody could have done with both Charo and now Barbara.  Also I think Alan is doing a great job with Debbie.

Also I see the show hired back Brittany Cherry for one night probably to boot her to the curb again tomorrow when Jenna returns.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 7

I think everyone stepped up their game tonight. Barbara was very elegant tonight, that suited her far more than sexy cougar. 

I love Jordan, but its obvious he's had a lot of training from the way he moves

I really enjoyed Victoria and Val, Lindsay and Mark, Derek and Sharna , but everyone else has really stepped it up

Do we need all three judges to talk?? These dances are so short! 

Plus there is very little time at the end to say goodbye..smh! :(

• Love 1

Did the judges seem overly nice tonight to anyone else? I thought Drew in particular was pretty bad (very hoppy) but he got 7s. I liked Vanessa but the gushing about her was over the top.

Can I have Frankie Munoz? Like just to carry around in my pocket and make me smile?

I actually think TO was low-balled last week for going first and is several points better than Barbara but saying so isn't going to win him any friends. 

I love Jordan but he needs to be careful, he could get an arrogant/cocky edit very quickly. If he keeps praising Lindsay though he should be fine. 

I want to like Lindsey Sterling more than I do. I like her dance but kind of hated the whole emerging from the cocoon thing as it felt hokey and too literal. I am generally on board with Mark's creativity but didn't necessarily think this one was so crazy and out of the box.

Agreed. I liked the idea and was on board with the butterfly theme but going into an actual cocoon for a costume change was a little too literal.

Edited by sab85
  • Love 4

I want to like Lindsey Sterling more than I do. I like her dance but kind of hated the whole emerging from the cocoon thing as it felt hokey and too literal. I am generally on board with Mark's creativity but didn't necessarily think this one was so crazy and out of the box

I loved that, especially after she spoke of her depression..

2 minutes ago, Hello Lady said:

I loved that, especially after she spoke of her depression..

I liked the idea of what they were getting at and the link to her own personal story.  I just thought the emerging from a literal cocoon while wearing butterfly everything was a little too on the nose and literal.

• Love 3
Just now, spanana said:

I liked the idea of what they were getting at and the link to her own personal story.  I just thought the emerging from a literal cocoon while wearing butterfly everything was a little too on the nose and literal.

Oh well, we all like different things, I thought Vanessa was OTT..( shrug) its all good 

• Love 2

I don't doubt TO had low scores, but I kinda wonder if he was in jeopardy because of his "I'm for sure better than Barbara" comment. (I mean, he's not wrong but still ballsy to say.)

I was on the "eh, Drew is kinda lanky" train until he busted out that Charleston at the end of his quickstep. He's got some impressive dance in there somewhere, I'm just not sure it'll be enough in this season.

I don't, in general, like Mark's dances. The choreo is interesting and good, but they're too themey and hokey all of the time. It's what I dislike most about DWTS and Mark takes to 1000. It's fine for a Mario themed freestyle. It's just ... too much on every dance every week.

• Love 1

Are we going to get the two married couples for every Erin interview? Maks already looks checked out of this season and like he can barely tolerate Vanessa. Nick's not that great but I guess they're going to prop him up to keep the married couple schtick going as long as they can.

Loved Lindsey and Mark and have missed Mark on this show so much! I'll be really surprised if she and Jordan don't make the finals. I also enjoyed Derek a lot and hope he doesn't fall victim to the pimping of the married couples. He seems like he's havng a blast.

I also like Nikki and Debbie (who was much less annoying this week). I can see Nikki going far but not Debbie, even though she's pretty good.

My guess for tomorrow's elimination is TO. Such a shame to waste Cheryl's return this way.

• Love 3

I actually liked Gleb and paid more attention to his partner than how awful the dance was. Sasha has some good genes. 

I liked Vanessa's dance, and she only did the "momma" thing once. I get that she has a hot and sexy husband, but hot and sexy people are just people when they go home, some may try to keep up the hot and sexy persona going, but having 3 young children at home will take care of that stuff pretty quick.

And they toned Barbara down a lot, that was good, but she still needed to be the first gone.

I enjoyed Derek's mom, yep, she watches the show and knew exactly how he was doing. And I don't remember hearing the "not necessarily the bottom two" thing, but I don't think he was anywhere near the bottom. But he does need to dance bigger.

I think Jordan is cute, he has the posture, the attitude, the skills, he will go to the finals, right now I think he's the one to beat.

• Love 2

Count me in as one who think Victoria's score will be lower tomorrow because the dance will not be as much in hold as the Tango was tonight. It will probably be more in par with her dance last week which was a Cha Cha Cha. 

Drew was very good in his Charleston moves. Remember, last week he had a Foxtrot, so tomorrow is his first Latin dance. He may be better at the Latin because he won't need to be as much in hold with Emma. He is pretty light on his feet.

Loved Derek's Mom! She could be on every week! 

Also, interesting that no Jives are scheduled for tomorrow's Latin night

Edited by madpsych78
Wanted to include the factoid about Jives.
  • Love 2

Are we going to get the two married couples for every Erin interview? Maks already looks checked out of this season and like he can barely tolerate Vanessa.

Maks said last week that he didn't want it to be all about the married couple thing during an interview and Erin basically told him they were going to run with it. And I agree, it's already ooold. 

Do we need all three judges to talk?? These dances are so short! 

I actually really liked last week when only one judge spoke (and the other two could say a few words during the scoring). It really kept the focus on the dancers and not the judges and seemed to make the judges much more focused in their critiques (instead of making random noises, flailing, etc.) 

Also I see the show hired back Brittany Cherry for one night probably to boot her to the curb again tomorrow when Jenna returns.

I don't know what the show has against that poor girl; she's the only ballroom-trained female troupe dancer (other than She Who Mugs A Lot- not looking forward to having Jenna back). 

Edited by sab85
  • Love 4

Lindsey was scored way too low in my opinion.  I loved her dance and Mark is just adorable.  She should have been all eights.  Then they started throwing around undeserved eights to other dancers.

I hope they don't make Mark regret coming back.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Drew was very good in his Charleston moves. Remember, last week he had a Foxtrot, so tomorrow is his first Latin dance. He may be better at the Latin because he won't need to be as much in hold with Emma. He is pretty light on his feet.

Drew has rumba tomorrow, which is meh for the best of male celebs. It could still go either way, but rumba isn't generally kind to male celebs if they're not Evan Lysacek.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Are we going to get the two married couples for every Erin interview? Maks already looks checked out of this season and like he can barely tolerate Vanessa. Nick's not that great but I guess they're going to prop him up to keep the married couple schtick going as long as they can.

Loved Lindsey and Mark and have missed Mark on this show so much! I'll be really surprised if she and Jordan don't make the finals. I also enjoyed Derek a lot and hope he doesn't fall victim to the pimping of the married couples. He seems like he's havng a blast.

I also like Nikki and Debbie (who was much less annoying this week). I can see Nikki going far but not Debbie, even though she's pretty good.

My guess for tomorrow's elimination is TO. Such a shame to waste Cheryl's return this way.

I missed Mark as well, so glad he is back. Maks was,  or is so rude in rehearsal, big head, and no he wont win another MBT. Fed up with the marrieds already 

• Love 3

I thought Derek and TO were scored low -- and Derek's Mom is a funny woman.  I'm not sure TO was really in the bottom two...my guess would have been Sasha.  

I agree that everyone (except Nick Lachey) improved...and seemed to work hard.

Edited by sinycalone
  • Love 3

Week 2 - two dances this week wow!

Debbie:  She did well and looked more relaxed and confident but there was a lot of space between her and Alan.  Agree with the score.

Nikki:  That seemed like an incredibly short dance - is anyone timing these dances?  I didn't see anything wrong with it but she didn't seem relaxed.  She was obviously making a concentrated effort - nothing wrong with that for week 2.  Agree with the score.

Lindsey:  Very inventive but was there a few too many seconds out of hold in the beginning? Looks like Len thought so.  Really penalized on the score.  Loved her dress.  I thought instead of the tent, she could have had one of those skirts that's black  when pinned up  and then let it down to show all the colors. Oh well.

Just an aside after reading last week's comments. I'm not sure why Lindsey is being tagged as a "ringer". I've seen some of her videos and tour videos and to me, her "dancing" has been a lot of bouncing around on stage with lots of jumping, leaping, twirls, etc. I'm sure this contributes to great cardio strength/stamina but nothing that would indicate any training.  Clearly she's worked her tail off to get where she is today.  She's also small, almost pixie-ish, and is highly trainable. But not a ringer IMO. But, that's just how I see it.

Barbara:  Did she just admit she needs to shut down the cougar talk?  I had to double-check...that was a tango, right?  Bruno: "you weren't stumbling as much".  But I think she did better than last week and perhaps took it bit more seriously.  Scores were higher that expected. I would have thought all 5s.

Nick:   I didn't see what happened with her dress but Peta sure was giving stink-eye to Bruno when he was talking.  Peta overdanced, he didn't do much but looked rather stiff.  Forgettable.  Score a point too high.

Drew:  He looked like he was in pain. Len's word "gangly", yes that's a good word.  It's like he doesn't have full control over his legs. Score a little high.

Vanessa:  She looked a little out of control but clearly she's having fun and she sure knows where that camera is. Overscored.  What was she laughing about? A case of the nerves?

Frankie:  His face was intense but lacked sharpness in his moves.  Score was waaay too high.

As an aside, the package was generous in how Witney was portrayed.  On her IGstories she has become overly bossy and snarky IMO and I'm developing a bit of a dislike.

Terrell:  got called away and missed it.

Sasha:  The feather girls were unnecessary.  I didn't like the choreo - he was trying to sex it up and failed.  Overscored. 

What's happened?  They hit the 9 o'clock hour and ratcheted up the scoring?

Derek:  Something about his frame - he often seems all scrunched in.  He needs to straighten out and square-off his shoulders. But oh boy! He's charismatic and that smile... !  Underscored considering other hour-2 scores.

Jordan:  Agree with Len, it was a bit staccato - but that's on Lindsay for the choreography.  Score is expected.

Not surprised Barbara is leaving.  I suspect many voters  saw the "cougar" behavior as real and not just an act. Oh well. It was a risky way to portray herself.

• Love 1

I don't know if Maks looks checked out of this season or how he feels about Vanessa, but what I do love about their partnership is she's such a personality all on her own (for better or worse) that Maks can't suck up all the air in the room. My biggest issue with Maks on this show, besides his lackluster choreography of late, is that his partnerships tend to be all about him. It's about his journey and his feelings and his drama and his opinions and quite often his partners either fade into the background or are just all around flustered.  Vanessa is such a strong personality that it can't be all about Maks, which I'm fine with since it's supposed to be about the celebs anyway.  So maybe that is why Maks looks annoyed.  It's not all about him for once.

I agree that everyone (except Drew Lachey) improved...and seemed to work hard.

There is a Drew on this season and a Lachey on this season (well 2) but no Drew Lachey. I assume you meant Nick?

Edited by spanana
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, spanana said:

I don't know if Maks looks checked out of this season or how he feels about Vanessa, but what I do love about their partnership is she's such a personality all on her own (for better or worse) that Maks can't suck up all the air in the room. My biggest issue with Maks on this show, besides his lackluster choreography of late, is that his partnerships tend to be all about him. It's about his journey and his feelings and his drama and his opinions and quite often his partners either fade into the background or are just all around flustered.  Vanessa is such a strong personality that it can't be all about Maks, which I'm fine with since it's supposed to be about the celebs anyway.  So maybe that is why Maks looks annoyed.  It's not all about him for once.

There is a Drew on this season and a Lachey on this season (well 2) but no Drew Lachey. I assume you meant Nick?

Ooops....meant Nick.  But still did not improve, lol.

Sasha was really overscored I thought, she danced it well enough but it wasn’t really a Vienesse Waltz as less than half of it was in hold. Me thinks they don’t want her eliminated early with her new Freeform show announced today! The scoring was awful all night I thought. Bad couples got overscored and good couples underscored. It annoys me as this is how shocking eliminations happen and then the judges have the audacity to blame the viewers. Regarding tomorrow’s elimination, I’ve got my fingers crossed for TO. The man’s horribly arrogant and a bad dancer. 

Oh and I forget to say. I’ve found my villain of the season who I have to take a bathroom break when they dance because I can’t stand them (Bonner last season for example). Congratulations Vanessa Lachey!

• Love 1

T.O. did get a bad edit tonight ( especially Barbara comment) but I did love Cheryl's "boo hoo".  She ended up on the floor with Giles during their rumba and it didn't go over well so I'm surprised she didn't learn. 

And Len, going first does usually get you lower scores !

i didn't think Vanessa's was that great. I'll rewatch but it didn't awe me first time. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I thought she was spotty and a little off kilter in a number of her turns. So I was really surprised by her scores. 

Yes and they didn't get called out on the lift by the male troupe members. Val got yelled at for something similar last season. 

The scoring felt way too high tonight. They did so good last week keeping it in the 5's and 6's and all of a sudden the 8's are flying. Give them room to improve or some will get 8's for the next nine weeks (and complain about it). 

I'm fine with Mark Ballas Face as long as we don't get Mark Ballas Guppy Face ::shudders::

Just an aside after reading last week's comments. I'm not sure why Lindsey is being tagged as a "ringer". I've seen some of her videos and tour videos and to me, her "dancing" has been a lot of bouncing around on stage with lots of jumping, leaping, twirls, etc. I'm sure this contributes to great cardio strength/stamina but nothing that would indicate any training.  Clearly she's worked her tail off to get where she is today.  She's also small, almost pixie-ish, and is highly trainable. But not a ringer IMO. But, that's just how I see it.

I think it's probably because she has worked with Derek before and had him teach her dances. That certainly gives her an advantage but doesn't really make her a ringer to me. I don't really see a true ringer this season- there are some that have obviously had some training but no pro dancers or anything. 

Maks already looks checked out of this season and like he can barely tolerate Vanessa. 

I don't think I've seen Maks truly engaged since...Meryl, probably.  I think he does the show because it's a nice paycheck and good publicity for his other ventures (dance studios, tour) but I don't know that he really likes it anymore. I wish he would step aside and let Tony take his spot; Tony at least always looked like he enjoyed being there. 

Edited by sab85
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

T.O. did get a bad edit tonight ( especially Barbara comment)

I follow Cheryl on instagram and on her stories, TO is often late or distracted by his phone - both a show of disrespect to Cheryl IMO.  Maybe he's proving to be a bit difficult or a diva behind the scenes and got "rewarded" with a negative edit? Dunno.

• Love 1

He’s always been like that, anyone who knows him from his football days will tell you. The producers didn’t tell him to say what he did about Barbara. That was just classic T.O bigging himself up. Add to the fact he wasn’t supposed to be on the show, they were hardly going to do him any favours.

I think Frankie is an absolute joy to watch. He really has become my favourite, even if he isn't the best. I also notice how the audience seems to love him too, judging by their reaction not just this week, but last week. I'm hoping for him making it to semi-finals, at least.

What I like about this season so far is that everyone left has potential. Not one of them is bad at dancing where I want them to go tomorrow night. But, there are still contestants who I'd be fine with going over others.

Victoria is a joy to watch as well. Her joy is really infectious. I love her wonderment about what she's capable of. 

Most of the others are ok but not capturing my attention. TO surprised me this week by getting a bad edit. Like, so bad that I'd like him to go soon. Plus, he's just so-so as a dancer. 

Sasha did better this week. It made me not want her to be tomorrow night's boot. It is a shame she has Gleb as a partner. I don't like the guy. I also think their scores were too high. She was better, but not 8 worthy. 

Drew got better as his dance got to the last portion, though I will be rewatching. 

Nikki's dance for me was more interesting than Vanessa's. Maybe I'm already tired of the Lacheys. 

I already forget my opinion of Debbie's dance, so I'll have to watch again. 

Seriously, I'm kind of rooting for Jordan, Frankie, and Victoria for different reasons. Lindsey is good too, so those four making it far would be great. 

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, sab85 said:

I don't think I've seen Maks truly engaged since...Meryl, probably.  I think he does the show because it's a nice paycheck and good publicity for his other ventures (dance studios, tour) but I don't know that he really likes it anymore. I wish he would step aside and let Tony take his spot; Tony at least always looked like he enjoyed being there.

During their interview Maks told Erin Vanessa was similar to her in rehearsals but Maks never looked checked out with Erin like he does now. I don't think his heart has been in the show since his bad experience with Hope Solo. He was a late addition with Melissa Gilbert after Gladys Knight signed on last minute and they needed another male pro, he only came back for All Stars because Kirstie wouldn't do it without him and he came back for Season 18 because he was handed the mirrorball he so desperately wanted on a silver platter. Since his 386th return with Amber, it's been annoying to watch how uninvested he is knowing how much Tony would love to come back. Hell, not that I'm a fan but I think even Louis Van Amstel would be more invested than Maks is.

• Love 4

The judges: "That was so elegant."
Me: "The fuck? It was like an elephant trying to tiptoe through a tulip field."

The judges: "Wow, you were so sharp and on point."
Me: "You mean besides those wobbly ass turns in the beginning and the clear mis-step?"

The judges: "You've improved so much since last week!"
Me: "Maybe they improved their sewing skills but it sure as hell wasn't their dancing!"

In conclusion: I want whatever the judges are smoking. Clearly they got a good hook-up back when Tommy Chong was on the show.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, sab85 said:

I think it's probably because she has worked with Derek before and had him teach her dances. That certainly gives her an advantage but doesn't really make her a ringer to me. I don't really see a true ringer this season- there are some that have obviously had some training but no pro dancers or anything.

Derek taught her a few moves for a music video (which of course is filmed in many pieces and then spliced together) but I don't think he taught her a whole dance.  

I'm not sure about Jordan - usually the Disney kids are pretty well cross-trained. But yes, no apparent true ringers this season.

Jordan is a great dancer, may even be the best this season but my only concern with him is hope he doesnt comeoff cocky and too confident. He is perfectionist and competitive and nothing wrong with that but if its one thing I have learned about dwts average viewers, is they do not like cockiness in the slightest. I mean Alfonso kinda had that persona his season but the difference with Alfonso and Jordan is t hat Alfonso was a  household name so he could get by with that, jordan may not have that luxury.

I agree with some of you that r saying maks is clocked out. Maks has always been a selfish dancer, even with Meryl that season, he made the season about him not ever winning instead of this being about Meryls journey. Vanessa clearly is a decent dancer and got mad potential to probably be great if maks push her but Maks gets so in his own world that he forgets sometimes that he has a partner who needs him.

Nikki's dance seemed really short with little content.

I thought Quickstep was supposed to be mostly in hold except for a few seconds at the beginning and end, but Lindsey's seemed to be mostly out of hold. I also would like to see less "stuff" on the stage, but maybe that's just me.

I wish they wouldn't score so high in the beginning weeks, it doesn't leave much room to show improvement as far as the scores are concerned.

I am glad Barbara is gone. Did anybody else notice her having her hand on/patting Keo's butt during the interview with Erin? Even Tom called her out on her behavior towards Keo.

So far I am liking Jordan, Frankie, and Derek. Vanessa is good, but a little OTT for me. 

I wish people would quit booing over Len's comments. He usually has valid things to say.

Edited by marykat71702
  • Love 8

Jordan Fisher is a ringer. He’s on broadway, you don’t get there without dance training. Just like Corbin Bleu except a lot more cocky than Corbin. He’ll probably make the final but he won’t win, he’s not got the personality of a winner on this show.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

Jordan Fisher is a ringer. He’s on broadway, you don’t get there without dance training. Just like Corbin Bleu except a lot more cocky than Corbin. He’ll probably make the final but he won’t win, he’s not got the personality of a winner on this show.

I don't think Jordan is cocky at all. I can see how some might read him as cocky, but there is a huge difference between confidence and cockiness and I have yet to see him even come close to crossing that line. He's just not the guy that is going to be all "aw shucks" and pretend he sucks when he knows he doesn't. He knows he has skills. What I do like about him is he is constantly turning the spotlight on Lindsay and is really focused on them as a partnership.  He's also super well spoken if you watch his interviews.  The AOL Build one he did with Lindsay is in the media thread.

I don't disagree he's a ringer, but I don't generally care about that anyway.  To me the biggest difference between Corbin and Jordan is Corbin never had much star power.  That is also why more often than not he plays sidekick roles in things.  Jordan has more of that elusive star quality.

• Love 3

Thats just it, him being confident like he is  and wanting to win can comeoff cocky to viewers even if that is not who he is. I have seen this playout too many times, esp with the women. Since Jordan is a dude, he may be ok but I know the viewers hate confident women.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think Frankie is an absolute joy to watch. He really has become my favourite, even if he isn't the best. I also notice how the audience seems to love him too, judging by their reaction not just this week, but last week. I'm hoping for him making it to semi-finals, at least.

What I like about this season so far is that everyone left has potential. Not one of them is bad at dancing where I want them to go tomorrow night. But, there are still contestants who I'd be fine with going over others.

Victoria is a joy to watch as well. Her joy is really infectious. I love her wonderment about what she's capable of. 

Most of the others are ok but not capturing my attention. TO surprised me this week by getting a bad edit. Like, so bad that I'd like him to go soon. Plus, he's just so-so as a dancer. 

Sasha did better this week. It made me not want her to be tomorrow night's boot. It is a shame she has Gleb as a partner. I don't like the guy. I also think their scores were too high. She was better, but not 8 worthy. 

Drew got better as his dance got to the last portion, though I will be rewatching. 

Nikki's dance for me was more interesting than Vanessa's. Maybe I'm already tired of the Lacheys. 

I already forget my opinion of Debbie's dance, so I'll have to watch again. 

Seriously, I'm kind of rooting for Jordan, Frankie, and Victoria for different reasons. Lindsey is good too, so those four making it far would be great. 

This. All of this.

1 hour ago, marykat71702 said:

I wish people would quit booing over Len's comments. He usually has valid things to say.

Agreed. And sometimes they're so busy booing at his criticisms that they don't hear the positive things he does say.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, spanana said:

Either Nick or the Property Brothers guy. I'm pretty sure his first name is Drew.

Tonight's performances:

Spoiler

Debbie & Alan - quickstep

Nikki & Artem - waltz

Lindsey & Mark - quickstep

Nick & Peta - foxtrot

Barbara & Keo - tango

Drew & Emma - quickstep

Vanessa & Maks - foxtrot

Frankie & Witney - tango

Terrell & Cheryl - foxtrot

Sasha & Gleb - Viennese waltz

Victoria & Val - tango

Derek & Sharna - foxtrot

Jordan & Lindsay - Viennese waltz

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, sab85 said:

I actually really liked last week when only one judge spoke (and the other two could say a few words during the scoring). It really kept the focus on the dancers and not the judges and seemed to make the judges much more focused in their critiques (instead of making random noises, flailing, etc.) 

Oh, so much this!  I liked the judging format so much last week, and I'm unhappy they changed it back.  Boo! 

I'm really enjoying Jordan much more than I expected.  He's a very good dancer and an intriguing performer.  I don't care about the ringer stuff at all, if it's so.  The only thing I care less about than that is predetermined opinions based on love/hate for any particular pro. 

I was disappointed in Lindsey and Mark's performance tonight.  I expect more from Mark's choreo, and I did expect Lindsey to be a better dancer than she's shown me so far.  By contrast, Vanessa is turning out to be better than I expected, as is Victoria. 

Debbie, Sasha, Nikki and Derek bored me.  Frankie continues to be endearing, enthusiastic about being on the show, and shows every sign of being able to learn how to be a good dancer.  Drew is adorably dorky, but I'm not so sure he can or will improve a great deal. 

America got it right tonight sending Barbara home first.  There's no one else that's bugging me this season like she did, so I'm a happy camper.  Terrell has the potential to start bugging me.  As much as I dislike Barbara Corcoran, that comment he made was totally uncalled for.  Still, I thought Cheryl's choreo was sizzling and Terrell brought some heat to that routine.  Len needs to chill.

Based on tonight's performances, I'd pick Nick Lachey to go home next. 

• Love 4

It's funny how people "put aside ringer stuff" for male celebs, but the moment a female celeb has any kind of dance background it's "she's a ringer, get her off, it's unfair, etc".

The double standard the fans have it's ridiculous. He'll probably win and prove that people truly just hate talented female celebs.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, PBGamer89 said:

It's funny how people "put aside ringer stuff" for male celebs, but the moment a female celeb has any kind of dance background it's "she's a ringer, get her off, it's unfair, etc".

The double standard the fans have it's ridiculous. He'll probably win and prove that people truly just hate talented female celebs.

Well, I can't speak for everyone you're addressing with those comments, but I can speak for myself.  Normani was my favorite contestant last season, and I thought she was robbed.   

• Love 5
2 hours ago, PBGamer89 said:

Actually, traditionally ringer women have won more than ringer men. The only ringer male to win was Alfonso. On the flip side, Nicole and Meryl won and since some think gymnasts are ringers (I don't), Shawn and Lori won. Meanwhile Corbin lost, Riker lost, Mario lost.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, PBGamer89 said:

The phenomenon of men facing more relaxed standards is a very real part of the DWTS experience, but it's not a universal view from the audience and never has been. Many of the female "ringers" have gotten to the finale and even won, which is pretty difficult to manage without some fans out there liking them. 

I wonder how TPTB make the decision to edit down the original song vs. letting the house band give it their best shot. Even with a radically different version than the original, they could always just find a cover already out there, if they wanted. I suppose it's an issue of money? 

Edited by Dejana

If there is any justice, Terrell should be the next to get the boot.  I thought his comment of how much better he was than Barbara was not only bad sportsmanship, it was delusional.  Because he ain't all that.

• Love 2

So TO tomorrow night? He's the only one that legit got a bad edit.

I took note that Tom essentially said "You went first last week, of course you got low balled." 

I think Frankie is setting up to be the dark horse this season which is more than fine by me.  

Finally...who in production hates Keo that much?  He's the new Tony! 

• Love 3

I think the confidence/cocky issue and ringer issue are two different things. Unfortunately the show is a microcosm of society and so people view confident women very differently than confident men. Women are held to a much higher standard and will get called on that confidence. Make that double for black women.

Also while I do think women have it harder on this show in many ways, ringers rarely win period. It's not like male ringers are overwhelmingly rewarded while females aren't.  Male ringers have often gotten backlash.  

It's also not like this show has historically had a problem with giving women the mirror ball.  Just because a male won last season doesn't negate the 23 seasons before that.

That said it genuinely surprises me how little backlash Jordan is getting so far.  He should at least be getting backlash on par with Corbin or Zendaya.  Though Corbin's ringerness was counterbalanced by how hard the judges were on him. I'd argue Jordan actually has considerably more relevant dance training than someone like Zendaya and she was practically drawn and quartered by some fans for her extremely exaggerated training.  Though with her, see above with confidence.  Also I think a lot of the grown women being awful to her were Hough fans afraid she would snatch the mirrorball away from Derek, so there is a lot of selective outrage on these issues. I think one of the things keeping Jordan's backlash at bay is that a lot of people genuinely like Lindsay and want to see her get a win.