Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E03: Week 2: Latin Night

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Andie1 said:

I'd say that Frankie is the ringer.  Jordan doesn't have the fanbase, so it's likely Jordan will go before Frankie, which is an unfortunate side effect of being good at dancing on this show. Last season David who danced like well.. not great got to top 2.  I have only seen the dances on youtube and Jordan has a lot of content, Frankie not so much, but it is what it is, and he's got Hollywood and Bryan Cranston A lister support. I don't understand American fanbases, people get support because they won the world series or they acted with Walter White. BFD, many world class athletes who should be getting the support, don't. James Hinchcliffe 100% should have won, and if he had the fans he would have.That's why I'm not taking much of an interest in this show anymore. 

A "ringer" isn't someone who has a large fan base.  It is someone who came into the competition with previous dance experience, training.  That would be Jordan.  And that wouldn't be Frankie.  Just like it wasn't James Hinchcliffe.  Laurie Hernandez was more the ringer, since her gymnastic training was closer to dancing than the experience of a race car driver.

And last season the ringers were Heather Morris, Normani Kordei, Simone Biles and to a lesser extent Nancy Kerrigan.

• Love 10

Also, I've heard that Jordan has Lin Manuel tweeting out support for him and asking viewers to vote (makes sense because of the Hamilton connection), as well as Chrissy Metz from This Is Us, who apparently was his agent at one point before she decided to go back into acting herself. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, escape said:

A "ringer" isn't someone who has a large fan base. 

Of course it is.  A person can dance like junk all season but get to top 2 because his fanbase got him there,  that's a ringer.  A ringer is someone who hides what they have and then springs it on everyone.  Like Paul Newman in the Hustler. People who come to mind are Jerry Rice and David what is his name who played for the Cubs.  They had people who voted for them and didn't bother to watch the show, they just put his number up at the Cubs game. Nobody can compete against that. If that's not a ring a ding ringer nothing is.

Edited by Andie1
3 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Also, I've heard that Jordan has Lin Manuel tweeting out support for him and asking viewers to vote (makes sense because of the Hamilton connection), as well as Chrissy Metz from This Is Us, who apparently was his agent at one point before she decided to go back into acting herself. 

Oh please.  75% of the tv audience has never even seen a show on Broadway.  On Twitter when asked who Lin Manuel was hardly anyone knew him.  This is why Jordan is doing the show in the first place, to get some recognition.  He's like a lot of good dancers who get the boot, it's not because they don't dance well, it's because the audience  favorite might dance marginally well but they like him because he was somebody they remember from a tv show they liked.  I never watched that show so I don't care about him, just like I never cared about Rob Kardashian, but people liked him for some unknown reason. Personality? Nope.  I pretty much hate all the stupid reality tv shows on American television, and if there's a reality show based on a personality, I've learned to pass.

Edited by Andie1

The thing is though, having a demographic-aligning fanbase, big personality, and/or compelling backstory is a much bigger advantage and can take you way farther in the competition than being a "ringer." Last season was the biggest example of that.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Andie1 said:

This is why Jordan is doing the show in the first place, to get some recognition.  He's like a lot of good dancers who get the boot, it's not because they don't dance well, it's because the audience  favorite might dance marginally well but they like him because he was somebody they remember from a tv show they liked. 

Someone like Jordan, who obviously has dance experience and training should not even on the show.  The original premise of DWTS was suppose to be about celebrities with no dance background.  And it was celebs like Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith who early on put the show on the map.

Edited by escape
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, escape said:

Jordan, who obviously has dance experience and training should not even on the show. 

Says who?   The only criteria to be on the show is to be a celebrity.  Retired athletes or has beens who want to re-start their career or up and comers looking to gain a fanbase, it doesn't matter. 

1 hour ago, calipiano81 said:

The thing is though, having a demographic-aligning fanbase, big personality, and/or compelling backstory is a much bigger advantage and can take you way farther in the competition than being a "ringer." Last season was the biggest example of that.

That's why they are ringers in the truest sense.  This competition has always been about popularity not about proficiency at ballroom dancing. Their "skill" is using their popularity for people to rationalize why they vote for someone who isn't the best one out there.  This show suspends all reasonable criteria, and just lets the audience decide.  Well if you're not a fan of  baseball or football or some of these gawd awful shows some of these celebrities have been in, then voting isn't worth your time.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, marykat71702 said:

Being a ringer has nothing to do with fan base, it's all about previous dance experience.

No - a fanbase ringer is more about the audience voting for a mediocre to bad dancer.  A  dance ringer is there just so the show doesn't suck. hard.

Edited by Andie1
1 hour ago, calipiano81 said:

Exactly. Which is why someone like Drew will go far this season despite not being the best dancer. Ditto Victoria for her backstory.

3 hours ago, Andie1 said:

Of course it is.  A person can dance like junk all season but get to top 2 because his fanbase got him there,  that's a ringer.  A ringer is someone who hides what they have and then springs it on everyone.  Like Paul Newman in the Hustler. People who come to mind are Jerry Rice and David what is his name who played for the Cubs.  They had people who voted for them and didn't bother to watch the show, they just put his number up at the Cubs game. Nobody can compete against that. If that's not a ring a ding ringer nothing is.

That is NOT a ringer. That is a celebrity with a massive fan base, who may have enough skills to not be eliminated early. A ringer is someone who enters the competition with prior dancing experience (even if not specifically in Ballroom or Latin). Fan base size has nothing to do with one's ringer-ness.

Plus, you basically contradicted yourself in your second and third sentences. Your second sentence states that a ringer is defined by his/her fan base even if they "dance like junk." Yet your third sentence states that a ringer is hiding the skills that they really have. Now, if we didn't have the internet where we could look up information on the backgrounds of these celebrities, your third sentence could be true for some of the lesser-known ringers. But if someone is truly hiding what they have, wouldn't it be that they were hiding the fact that they were good (or more accurately, talented and experienced)? Why would they want to hide that they dance like junk?

In my humble opinion, the difference between Jordan and Frankie is that Jordan is a ringer, while Frankie is not. BOTH have dancing talent. But only Jordan has the prior dance experience, whereas Frankie does not. 

• Love 10
29 minutes ago, Andie1 said:

That's why they are ringers in the truest sense.  This competition has always been about popularity not about proficiency at ballroom dancing. Their "skill" is using their popularity for people to rationalize why they vote for someone who isn't the best one out there.  This show suspends all reasonable criteria, and just lets the audience decide.  Well if you're not a fan of  baseball or football or some of these gawd awful shows some of these celebrities have been in, then voting isn't worth your time.

If it bothers you so much, don't watch.  DWTS is just a silly TV show. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Plus, you basically contradicted yourself in your second and third sentences. Your second sentence states that a ringer is defined by his/her fan base even if they "dance like junk." Yet your third sentence states that a ringer is hiding the skills that they really have.

I never said their skill is dancing.  A fanbase ringer 's skill is marshalling all their charisma about their abc sport or their shows for people to suspend belief that they are any good.   It's telling that I'm getting attacked by Frankie fans.  I don't vote, and I only watched a couple of the dances on line, but it's obvious razzle dazzle and no dancing has hooked people.  So have at it.  If watching a dance contest not about dance but getting your celebrity a higher Q rating is your desire, go for it.