Type keyword(s) to search

Ghosted - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Watched the first episode on Hulu's (new, terrible, horrible, awful platform).  It is pretty much delicious, cheesy fun.  I really like Adam & Craig's chemistry. DH does not think it will last long but we really hope it does.  It was totally enjoyable for what it is. Bonus points for Higher Love.

A few fun quotes from the episode:

"Watch your face."  "What does that even mean?"

"We are frightened, we are very, very frightened."

"Want to go to an independent coffee house and talk it out."

"We all scared of something. I'm scared of ducks. Don't want to talk about it"

• Love 4

I liked this. I knew very little about it, not even who was in it other than the two leads. So it was a fun coincidence for me that I had just started rewatching Greek this week and then saw Ashleigh (Amber Stevens) on this show. Good to see that she got a new job after the Carmichael Show was cancelled.

• Love 1

I thought this was pretty good, funny and cute but with some real stakes and spookiness. Its clearly a spoof, but it takes itself and its characters seriously enough to get invested, at least as of now. 

Adam and Craig are both very likable and have good chemistry, so as long as they can keep it up, I will keep watching. 

• Love 8

Not great, but sitcoms tend to have shaky pilots, so with that in mind, it had enough going for it to keep me watching.  But granted, I'll probably watch Adam Scott in anything, and I'm already enjoying his character.  Same with Craig Robinson's, and I'm already liking how both of them play off one another.  As long as they keep that going, that will be more then enough for the show to shake off the early episode cobwebs and hopefully get somewhere good.

Ally Walker was pretty good as the "boss character."  Also liked the weapons tech woman, but the British guy was a bit obnoxious, but I really enjoyed the actor in The Big Sick, so I hope he grows in the role.

My biggest issue going forward though is that it's on Sunday nights and while it premiered on time tonight, who knows how football is going to fuck up later showings, and with so many shows on Sunday, I might have to catch up On Demand for it for future episodes.

• Love 3

I know that the first episode had to be devoted to introducing the characters and the premise, but it wasn't as funny as I had hoped.... more like a few smiles here and there rather than LOLs. I like the characters and see some hope here but I do hope that the laughs pick up a bit next week.

As noted above, competition from Sunday Night Football (usually broadcast TV's highest-rated show) will affect the ratings, but Fox seems to be happy with its Sunday comedy block so I'm sure they'll give Ghosted some time to find an audience.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ashleylm said:

Underwhelmed, didn't laugh once.  Felt largely improvised, once, rather than the result of a carefully honed and polished script.

That's because there is a lot of improvisation. 

Edited by Aileen

I saw the pilot at comic con and I saw it last night. It seems they really chopped it up to make it 30 minute instead of an  hour.  I can't put my finger on what exactly was missing but my recollection was that it was longer with more scenes to make it flow.   It's a shame.   

It it was ok.  I will give it a chance.

• Love 2

I liked it, considering they had to explain even more background stuff than a standard pilot they still managed to get some really funny stuff in. Hopefully they can build on that. That being said, the plot is way out there to the point that it makes The Good Place look like Kevin Can wait or something with how weird it is. And just thinking how weird it is I will be surprised if it is still on the air by Christmas.

I'm not giving up yet, but I think Adam Scott's character needs some tweaking. I like the idea of the show--kind of a half hour humorous X-Files. 

Boss lady's upper lip is super distracting though. I can't stop staring. Glad she can't see me. 

• Love 2

Is Fox incapable of airing episodes in the order that they're supposed to be aired? They do this all the time; they've done it with The Orville and now with this. This was a Halloween-themed episode so it didn't even make sense to air it this week (It was the fourth episode produced, for those that are interested). 

• Love 2

Is Fox incapable of airing episodes in the order that they're supposed to be aired? They do this all the time; they've done it with The Orville and now with this. This was a Halloween-themed episode so it didn't even make sense to air it this week (It was the fourth episode produced, for those that are interested). 

This is helpful context, because I definitely felt like I missed some stuff. I also feel like the episode description above doesn't help FOX's cause - we didn't actually see anything about the "busy night"...there were like two lines about it and that's it. It feels like they're trying to cram 45 minutes worth of content into a 22 minute episode. They'd do well to study Brooklyn Nine-Nine for how to actually pull that off.

That being said, I kind of giggled at the demon children and thought the relationship between Jermaine and Leroy was cute. Adam Scott might need to take it down a few notches. Ally Walker definitely does (that goes for her facial enhancements, too).

• Love 3
5 hours ago, PuhLeeze said:

I'm not giving up yet, but I think Adam Scott's character needs some tweaking. I like the idea of the show--kind of a half hour humorous X-Files. 

Boss lady's upper lip is super distracting though. I can't stop staring. Glad she can't see me. 

Yes, it's sad because Ally Walker is another famous person that used to be beautiful, but messed up her face with plastic surgery. I didn't even recognize her at first in the pilot, and had to Google her because she messed up her face so much. 

1 hour ago, Phishbulb said:

56 minutes ago, hendersonrocks said:

This is helpful context, because I definitely felt like I missed some stuff. I also feel like the episode description above doesn't help FOX's cause - we didn't actually see anything about the "busy night"...there were like two lines about it and that's it. It feels like they're trying to cram 45 minutes worth of content into a 22 minute episode. They'd do well to study Brooklyn Nine-Nine for how to actually pull that off.

That being said, I kind of giggled at the demon children and thought the relationship between Jermaine and Leroy was cute. Adam Scott might need to take it down a few notches. Ally Walker definitely does (that goes for her facial enhancements, too).

This does make more sense because I too felt like I was missing some stuff from how they ended last week's episode to the beginning of this week's episode. I also agree that it does feel like they're trying to cram to much into 22 minutes. I want to like it because of the leads, but it just feels all over the place right now. 

I also agree about the busy night, and I would also add that whole thing about the Captain knowing everything that was going on like that she might have ESP or that she's one of the mysteries of where she works felt weird since it seemed to come out of nowhere, I guess because the episodes are out of order, and didn't really seem interesting to me. I hope the missing episodes show more about the Bureau Underground to fill in the blanks because I do find the concept interesting on paper, but I don't just want to be told about it.   

• Love 1

Yeah, I will never understand why networks air episodes out of order. It makes the audience confused, especially when its a new show just starting up and needing to cultivate an audience. 

I find this show to be quite charming, and I like the idea of a more comedic X Files take, but with some dramatic elements as well. I am still interested. 

• Love 3

I WANT to like this, I really do. I like Adam Scott and Craig Robinson a lot, so I'd love this to be successful. It hasn't settled into its rhythm yet, and I'm worried it'll get canceled before it does. I see glimmers of potential which gives me hope for future episodes. Networks are inclined to work with potential these days, so again, I'm not optimistic. This wasn't the best episode, but I had a few chuckles. A few chuckles is decent for a sitcom, right?

• Love 2
On 10.10.2017 at 8:30 PM, xander874 said:

I agree with above posters. It's just...off. I can't explain why but it doesn't flow well. It's like there are a bunch of random scenes that barely connect and it always feels rushed. 

It seems like it's not supposed to be a sitcom at all. The tone works best for a hour-long dramedy, like Chuck or My Crazy Ex, etc.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, CooperTV said:

It seems like it's not supposed to be a sitcom at all. The tone works best for a hour-long dramedy, like Chuck or My Crazy Ex, etc.

I think you're right. Also like Psych. [I didn't watch those other two shows.]

• Love 2

I want to LOVE this show. In fact, I'm almost defensive of the criticisms- valid as they may be- because of how much I want a show like this to succeed.

I'm hanging in there for the long haul- the only thing that might be insurmountable is- as others have mentioned- the half-hour format. If tPtB could innovate how serial/MotW plotting can work in this format, the show could be stellar. If the team continues to rely on the old paradigm- it's doomed.

• Love 2

I actually laughed more then I did in the pilot, but I agree that it still feels like it isn't all there yet.  It still feels like the actors are trying to find their groove, and the characters are all over the place because of it.  And, yes, it does feel kind of rush and just like a bunch of screens spliced together.  It might have been better if it was an hour long, and it would feel more like an actual X-Files episode with more humor.  Sort of like what The Orville does, which I personally think is surprisingly working for the most part.

Still, the pairing of Adam Scott and Craig Robinson is just too god that I have to give it a few more chances and it hope it finds it footing.  Or that FOX will actually let them have the chance.

• Love 4

I agree they should have gone for the hour long format. I think it wouldn't feel so choppy if they had. I think the cast is strong and if they can find their groove this show has a chance. It's a fun concept and the leads work great together. They just have to smooth out the rough edges. I hope it makes it. I see potential.

• Love 2

Now this makes switching the episode order even more stupid because in the Halloween episode Adam Scott was clearly interested in the female agent and it seemed really off because he was still looking for his wife. Now he doesn't look like as much of ass because she just ran away from him and told him to stop looking.

• Love 2

Loved the photo shoot. Missed what happened with the daughter, after the red hoodie's all going different directions. Was there a resolution to that storyline?

I loved the whole Bachelor Bachelor party thing and it just being the two of them. I'm sure everyone at the hotel just assumed they were a couple. lol

• Love 2

Missed what happened with the daughter, after the red hoodie's all going different directions. Was there a resolution to that storyline?

She knew her mom was spying on her and set it up. There was a mother-daughter truce called in where they acknowledged they need to trust each other more. I thought the whole thing was very strange and felt like it belonged in another show entirely.

The photo shoot was adorable, as was Leroy's reaction to linen. I think the two leads are SO GOOD at what they do, this show just isn't really giving them the material they deserve.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, hendersonrocks said:

She knew her mom was spying on her and set it up. There was a mother-daughter truce called in where they acknowledged they need to trust each other more. I thought the whole thing was very strange and felt like it belonged in another show entirely.

Thank you. How did I miss all that? And what was the point of all that?!?!?! You're right, sounds like it should have been another show. I would much rather have seen more of Leroy and Max at the resort. Ha, I forgot about the linen. "I don't like clothes that billow"

Really, I don't need any of the stuff at the "office". I'm fine just watching Leroy and Max on their missions.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

The photo shoot was adorable, as was Leroy's reaction to linen. I think the two leads are SO GOOD at what they do, this show just isn't really giving them the material they deserve.

This is my problem with the show. With these two leads the show should be much funnier than it is. I was about to give it up after giving it my three episode rule but they got me right there at the end with the wife turning weird and running off. I'm interested in what's going on there. 

• Love 6

The leads are really good, and I still enjoy the show and its potential, but it still feels like its trying to find its feet. The tone is rather wonky (and not in a good way) and it seems lie its coasting off its likable leads a lot of the time. Plus, making the episodes out of order is always a terrible idea. 

That being said, I think this was my favorite episode so far, especially everything involving the photo shoot! Leroys reactions were worth the half hour alone. 

The show seems to be following the X-Files* supernatural format of "If its something weird that could possibly exist, it does",so you get vampires and ancient demons and aliens and ghosts and all kinds of crap all existing in the same universe. I like it, and am interested in where its all going and if its leading up to anything. 

*I still think X-Files should have ended with the aliens finally showing up on Earth, ready to colonize...and they get their asses kicked by all the demons and witches and gods and mutants and psychics and monsters and clones and robots and angels and sea monsters and vampires and ghosts and AIs and the other billion weird things that live here. No one messes with their territory!

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

*I still think X-Files should have ended with the aliens finally showing up on Earth, ready to colonize...and they get their asses kicked by all the demons and witches and gods and mutants and psychics and monsters and clones and robots and angels and sea monsters and vampires and ghosts and AIs and the other billion weird things that live here. No one messes with their territory!

Annnnd now I want to see this happen in the X-Files revival.

• Love 4

Loved seeing Beck in this. And I legitimately jumped a few times. This show is nice light fun for a Sunday night before heading back to the grind of Monday.

i try not to comment on appearances, but I find myself surprised each week at how thin Adam Scott is on this show. He seems to have lost a good bit of weight since being Ben Wyatt. I didn't notice that much of a change in him in Big Little Lies. It's shocking at times.

• Love 3

I thought for a moment they skipped an episode or changed them around because there were no mentions of the l;ast week's cliffhanger. But then Leroy said something about Max's wife smashing him against the table, and okay, show, you of the hook. For now!

I thought it was the best episode so far. Max was toned out a lot and that made every interaction better. Also? The Aliens homage is always a winning theme! They handled plot threads well in twenty minutes and the jokes were much better. Not into the forced het romance but the actors seem like they have nice chemistry, so.

• Love 2

I feel like the show is getting stronger, finding it's groove. The cast work really well together and it was fun to see them all locked in and involved in the storyline. I am starting to look forward to this show. It's fun and silly. I was worried they'd forgotten about the little baby alien until it came out of the donuts. Loved them watching the microwave race the countdown clock.

• Love 2