Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: The Vulcan Hello

• Start Topic

While patrolling Federation space, the USS Shenzhou encounters an object of unknown origin, putting First Officer Michael Burnham to her greatest test yet.

I know we're all supposed to have our reservations, but I am just so, so excited.

Let's see what's out there...

• Love 3

As a Star Trek fan who watched the original Star Trek when it aired in 1966 I must say I was so bored with this series that I stopped watching after 15 minutes and instead watched the Ken Burns Vietnam series on PBS.  It was bad, bad, bad.

Edited by elocs
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11

The prosthetics/makeup for the Klingons has got to be the worst I've seen.  They look like a cross between the alien from Aliens and, well, I'm not sure what.  But it's bad.

Now I'm not so bothered about getting involved just to be denied the remaining episodes.  It is definitely not worth subscribing to All Access.

• Love 9

The Starfleet uniforms are very weird. They should look like the ones in The Cage with those Velour  tops and black  pants.

I’ll watch this because it airs on Space in Canada, but right now The Orville has my Trekkie heart.

Why can't they leave the Klingon makeup alone? I am reminded of Stargate, and not in a good way.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 5

If this were going to be on CBS, I would give it a  chance. I'm not interested in signing up for another service.  Though I wouldn't mind watching the characters develop. There are so many options these days and so little time.

• Love 3

I'm sorry. As a Trekkie I am freaking offended.  You cannot make a tv show about the future that is set 10 years prior to a show about the future that was made 50 years ago with better technology than the original recipe.

I can't buy this. I barely bought Enterprise and hung onto to it due to Connor Trinneer.

This would have been better with a storyline set 20 years after Voyager.

I agree with poster above - Orville has my Trekkie heart.  I rather watch TLC reality crap on Sunday's than this.

Edited by greekmom
forgot to mention one thing
  • Love 18
5 minutes ago, marinw said:

The Starfleet uniforms are very weird.

The crooked, off-center zippers are killing me.  But at least the girls are wearing clothes that are more sensible than miniskirts.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The crooked, off-center zippers are killing me.  But at least the girls are wearing clothes that are more sensible than miniskirts.

At least some miniskirts would provide a distraction from the horrible writing and acting. :)

• Love 3
Just now, Bryce Lynch said:

At least some miniskirts would provide a distraction from the horrible writing and acting. :)

Not for me!  I'm a straight girl myself.  I was waiting to see Jason Isaacs, but alas.  Only a mere glimpse in the preview for next ep.  Which I won't see.

• Love 3

Ever since our dorm bought a new black and white TV for a second lounge room because so many of us had our dates over to watch Star Trek, I've been a fan.

Right now, I'm all worn out from trying to follow the story by being bombarded with overdone, excessively colored sets, and way too busy, crowded scenes.  I felt as if I were dropped in a Victorian room with nicknacks and geegaws on every available surface.  Space is too crowded, but it is in most scifi.

But fuckity fuck fuck, I wanted to like this and I was bored.  Not just bored, nodding off bored.  Insubordination towards the end?  Gave them a reason to walk, just as Janeway used to walk and walk.  

I fear there won't be a 7 of 9 to stride to the rescue, it's too crowded already.  Damn, just damn.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, greekmom said:

I'm sorry. As a Trekkie I am freaking offended.  You cannot make a tv show about the future that is set 10 years prior to a show about the future that was made 50 years ago with better technology than the original recipe.

Retconning technology almost never turns out well.

23 minutes ago, greekmom said:

This would have been better with a storyline set 20 years after Voyager.

Seconded. Star Trek should be about moving forward, unless the Borg assimilated the entire Federation.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 9

I'd continue to watch if it were continuing on over the air TV but I wasn't thrilled enough about what I saw to pay for All-Access.  Watching this I was missing old Trek, back to the Next Generation marathon on BBC America ....

Plus it was very dark on that bridge.  I read it was going to be a dark series but literally?

• Love 5

That was really bad. The only positive I can say is that Star Trek TNG started pretty bad, then got much better over time. Maybe this one will too. 

The acting was just so terrible. Except for Doug Jones as Saru. I thought he was pretty good. 

Who is responsible for the atrocious Klingon makeup? If this show is set in the prime time line, then the Klingons should look like they did during TOS.  Or at least like they did during the Worf era. This looks like bad cartoon Klingons. 

I may look again when Jason Isaacs episodes start airing.  At least I know he can act. Judging from tonight Discovery needs to follow the lead of the other Star Trek series and make the Captain the lead character. Michael is boring. SMG needs to up her game.

• Love 11

I thought it got better as it went along.  The dialogue in the beginning, particularly the bridge scenes, was cringe-inducing.  It felt like it took forever to find out just what that thing was.  It got stronger in the second half with the conflict between the captain and first officer.  Guy playing Sarek was great.

So the Federation and Klingon have fought over the past century but have had few face to face encounters?

I'll definitely check out a free trial of the next episode.  We'll see how this show does given the efforts of the producers to drive away at least half of the fanbase.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 7

I am unequivocally a major, old school, back in the day Trekkie/Trekker/TrekHead and I absolutely WILL NOT pay even $6.00 a month to follow this show. The fact that CBS is doing this to try to drive traffic to its bullshit Access channel (which I have read has not done well so far) and is counting on a built-in fan base of Star Trek loving sheeple is truly an insult and a slap in the face of this franchise's fans.

Word to CBS you are a NETWORK channel, not premium cable so this show, like every other Star Trek series, is supposed to be free.

Major thumbs down on this one. I dearly hope that my fellow Star Trek brothers and sisters will not be paying to watch this show.

• Love 15

I'll keep watching. Is this the original or reboot Trekverse (for lack of a better term)? Or this is an entirely new universe, where the Kilingons (red line squiggle) look different again and Enterprise never happened? At least the credits are cool.

The alien guy is gonna be annoying, isn't he? I mean, I know where he's coming from and he's not trying to be a downer, but he might as well be wearing a "BY THE BOOKS!!!" baseball cap.

Human raised on Vulcan? That's different. No child of Earth should ever had that hair.

I liked the idea of "Vulcan Hello." I would have guessed it would involve respectful nodding. And maybe tweaking the tips of the ears when no one else was around.

• Love 12

I'll be the odd one out and say I thought that it was entertaining. All pilots have their problems and this one was no exception, but after the first 15 minutes (which were definitely very slow) I was engaged pretty much throughout--I agree with benteen that it got stronger as it went. It's far from the best pilot I've ever seen, granted, but very far from the worst either. I'd be continuing to watch if it was continuing on broadcast; not sure if I'll shell out for CBS All-Access, because CBS All-Access annoys me on principle SO MUCH and I kind of hate CBS to begin with.

I do agree that the lead actress is the one I'm connecting with least, and that's not a good sign. Michelle Yeoh and the scaredy-cat science officer made more of an impression, and I found them more compelling. I can see what SMG is trying to do as an actress but she just didn't quite pull it off tonight.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, Lantern7 said:

I'll keep watching. Is this the original or reboot Trekverse (for lack of a better term)? Or this is an entirely new universe, where the Kilingons (red line squiggle) look different again and Enterprise never happened? At least the credits are cool.

The alien guy is gonna be annoying, isn't he? I mean, I know where he's coming from and he's not trying to be a downer, but he might as well be wearing a "BY THE BOOKS!!!" baseball cap.

Human raised on Vulcan? That's different. No child of Earth should ever had that hair.

I liked the idea of "Vulcan Hello." I would have guessed it would involve respectful nodding. And maybe tweaking the tips of the ears when no one else was around.

Vulcan hello to Klingons: "Live a short time and fail.

• LOL 2
  • Love 16
1 minute ago, Lantern7 said:

I'll keep watching. Is this the original or reboot Trekverse (for lack of a better term)? Or this is an entirely new universe, where the Kilingons (red line squiggle) look different again and Enterprise never happened?

It's the original Trekverse.  That's why so many old-school Trekkies (including yours truly) hate it because it's nothing like the way a show set only ten years before TOS should be.  I agree with the other posters who have said that The Orville for the most part gets it right while this show gets it so very WRONG.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, ketose said:

Plus, women are not allowed to be captains! Didn't any of these writers see "Turnabout Intruder?"

Yes this. Not the only thing that bugged but it annoyed. 

ETA: no way I’m paying for this.

Edited by Quickbeam
ETA
  • Love 2

I'll keep watching. Is this the original or reboot Trekverse (for lack of a better term)? Or this is an entirely new universe, where the Kilingons (red line squiggle) look different again and Enterprise never happened? At least the credits are cool

It's set in the timeline of the original series. I have a bad feeling we're going to meet young Kirk, Spock, etc.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I'll be the odd one out and say I thought that it was entertaining. All pilots have their problems and this one was no exception, but after the first 15 minutes (which were definitely very slow) I was engaged pretty much throughout--I agree with benteen that it got stronger as it went. It's far from the best pilot I've ever seen, granted, but very far from the worst either. I'd be continuing to watch if it was continuing on broadcast; not sure if I'll shell out for CBS All-Access, because CBS All-Access annoys me on principle SO MUCH and I kind of hate CBS to begin with.

I liked the first 15 minutes.

Once they got back to the ship I started not liking it as much.  It was the combination of how dark it was (get some lights and different costumes) and how bland and interchangeable the crew was.  Like you, if it was on TV I would watch the next episode.  Not going to sign up for All Access on the basis of this pilot.

Oh, I'm not overly invested in Trek and even I was bugged by the new look for the Klingons. 

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I thought that it was a very exciting and suspenseful story, even though I super-duper don't care about Klingons or what is going on with the Klingons at all (haven't cared since TNG, people!).  The stuff on the Shenzhou and the crew really captivated me, though, and made up for my lack of interest in the Klingons.

I loved the relationship between Captain Georgiou and Michael until the point that Michael mutinied, and then I have to say that Michael lost me almost completely.  It's so early in the series for her to make a move like that and keep the audience on her side.  Sure, Kirk and Spock disobeyed orders on occasion, but we had some history with them before it happened, and although pop culture remembers Kirk as a renegade for what he did for Spock in one of the most iconic sci-fi movie series of all time, he was a good follow-orders officer most of the time if you really watch the TOS series closely--sometimes being hamstrung by orders led him to be creative, though, which might have been nice to see Michael do--find a different way.  For Michael to nerve-pinch Captain Georgiou is such a betrayal of their obviously extremely close relationship--yikes.  They were such fun to watch at the start, too.

I thought the ship looked good, space looked good, the desert planet looked good.  Enjoyed getting to see a spacewalk.  That was cool to experience a space adventure in a different way than TOS, TNG or the little Voyager that I saw.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 19
11 minutes ago, tawny411 said:

It's set in the timeline of the original series. I have a bad feeling we're going to meet young Kirk, Spock, etc.

And they'll be nothing like what we expect them to be at this stage of their lives and careers. About the only counterargument that could be made is that people can change a lot over the course of ten years.

One character I wouldn't mind seeing is whoever Dax's current host is.  That would be either Emony or Audrid, I'm not sure which.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, ketose said:

Vulcan hello to Klingons: "Live a short time and fail.

Heh. Reminds me of a Milk & Cheese story where the "Dairy Products Gone Bad" invaded a comic convention. Some schmuck cosplaying as a Vulcan did the "Live long and prosper" bit. Their response? Gouging his eyes out out and shouting, "EAT SHIT AND DIE!!!!!"

6 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

It's the original Trekverse.  That's why so many old-school Trekkies (including yours truly) hate it because it's nothing like the way a show set only ten years before TOS should be.  I agree with the other posters who have said that The Orville for the most part gets it right while this show gets it so very WRONG.

20 minutes ago, ketose said:

Plus, women are not allowed to be captains! Didn't any of these writers see "Turnabout Intruder?"

So this was before the retcon. Huh. Maybe the TOS bits were from a section of space where the tech was downgraded and the women looked hot and weren't in command. And Spock was there to make sure they didn't kill themselves. Also, wasn't "Intruder" an episode many fans would've wanted deleted? I confess not to be anywhere near a Trekkie, so my take might not be that educated.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, tawny411 said:

Well, we already met Spock's dad. Maybe they can bring on T'Pol.

So, it's been pretty much considered a non-starter that they'd go back to the classic miniskirts. And if you've seen "The Cage" the women wore pants, anyway. Still, Discovery managed to have their star walk around in her underwear in the pilot. No points for being woke, you guys.

• Love 3