Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: They're Back, Aren't They?

MostlyC

Yes, we're back for Season Three!

As a reminder, Canada airs the episode a day before the USA, so for many, the thread unlocks early.  Enter at your own risk*

After waking up in the desert with his wings, Lucifer and Chloe try to figure out what happened to him. Newcomer Lieutenant Marcus Pierce makes a poor impression due to his stern demeanor; Lucifer finds himself in another compromising situation.

*(and/or hum blame Canada).

• Love 1

Lucifer:  "Oh, brother.  About your problem, I think might have a solution.  I'll text you later."
Amenadiel:  "Words this time."

Remedy:  "Just need you to fully undress and put you under the towel."
Amenadiel:  "We're gonna need a bigger towel."

I think I've finally decided that this show is the best thing on TV these days.  Each new episode just keeps impressing the hell out of me.  Its the perfect mix of comedy and drama.  Ella is a bit over the top most the time, but its more wacky!fun than groan-worthy.

No Trixie or Maze [is L-AB on maternity leave?], but that was the only downer.  

So, whoever this "Sinner Man" is, he (potentially) has the power to give Lucifer his wings back (repeatedly), but takes away his 'Devil face' too.  The discovery which led to the funny line;  Chloe:  "Whatever you want to show me, makes you gassy?"

I read a pre-season article interview that Tom Welling gave, and he was definitely right - Marcus Pierce is no Clark Kent.  Well, MP's demeanor and arrogance would match Clark when on red-K, but not the normal mild-mannered version.   Is it too soon to place bets that Pierce ends up being "Sinner Man"?  Or at least in cahoots with him??

• Love 19

Dr. Linda was funny and firm in her big fat NO to Lucifer when he was trying to get her to cut off his wings and laying out that big spread as a bribe.

Almost didn't recognize Tom Welling.  Poor Dan "Esperanza".

• Love 8

I liked Lucifer feeling guilty about Linda and bringing her to his place and giving her Benjamin I think to make up for it? Anyway, it was cute.

I like the idea of sinnerman. Not crazy about Clark Kent but whatever.

Hopefully we'll see Maze and Trixie soon.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I read a pre-season article interview that Tom Welling gave, and he was definitely right - Marcus Pierce is no Clark Kent.  Well, MP's demeanor and arrogance would match Clark when on red-K, but not the normal mild-mannered version.   Is it too soon to place bets that Pierce ends up being "Sinner Man"?  Or at least in cahoots with him??

Just so I am confused. Was Tom Welling going to be introduced last season because they shortened up the season and were going to give us 4 episodes at the beginning from last season.

Edited by greekmom
I'm confused, not unconfused.

@greekmom, the four leftover episodes from season 2 are not airing as the first episodes of this season. This week's episode and next week's episode are new episodes filmed for season 3. Episode 3 (Oct 16) is the first of the leftover episodes. The other three leftover episodes have not yet been scheduled.

• Love 2

Oh, I came here to ask if maybe they re-shot some of the episode to add the TW scenes as they felt off a little from the rest of the scenes. But they re-shot the whole episode?  Because i assume they had already filmed the Lucifer stuff in the desert since it was the cliffhanger when decided to shorten the season.  

@Unclejosh, Lucifer had originally been ordered for 18 episodes for season 2. Four additional episodes were ordered later, but at some point it was decided to only air the original 18 episodes in season 2. It is my understanding that the additional episodes had always been intended as stand-alone episodes that could be inserted at any point in season 2 and that episode 18 had always been intended as the season finale. So no reshoots were necessary for this episode because season 3 had always been intended to continue where episode 18 ended with the four additional episodes being inserted at earlier points in the season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Ah thank you for clearing that up, I misunderstood how it went down. I thought they always had 22 episodes and decided to stop after episode 18 which had a cliffhanger to it that was originally intended to play out over the remaining 4 episodes.

I guess the TW scenes were just awkward on their own then because it really had a shot afterward and inserted into a previously shot episode feel to it.  Maybe it is just him and the cast not having chemistry yet.  I was looking forward to him coming back to TV so hopefully it will feel more natural as the season progresses.

• Love 1

Tell me that Lieutenant Jackass is like the ham from the Sopranos and will be killed off next episode. Is that how Lucifer sounded before they let Tom Ellis keep his British accent? If so, yeah, I see why they made this decision. Nuguy came off as self-important, self-righteous, not that bright, humorless -and on a shallow note, has a horrible haircut. These writers have done fantastic so far, I can't believe they imagined that putting down veterans, with unfortunate implications (Dan, Chloe) or dumbing them down (Ella) was a good way of introducing a new character. For a second, the insufferable arrogant male stereotype made me fear I was watching CBS. I never saw Tom Welling in anything, but I hope he's able to act at times. I truly can't say for now. More worrying, I saw no chemistry with the cast members he had scenes with.

That said, it was only his first episode and maybe he won't be on too much *fingers crossed*. He wasn't on that much, by the way, but it was jarring because for me, it's the first big miss of the show.

Quibbles: Not enough Linda, but she was fab-fab-fab as always. No Maze, but it couldn't be avoided, I guess. No Trixie, and she could have been there. She should have been there.

Otherwise, the episode was great, enjoyable, and brilliant at times. It was great to have the old crew back.

Lucifer is still the same delightful rogue with daddy issues, as self-centered and reckless as he's vulnerable and caring.

Loved that Chloe didn't let herself be put down and finally asserted her ability as a cop because yes, she is a good cop, and I'd argue that she did as great a job at keeping Lucifer in line as one humanly can.

Amenadiel was the MVP for me. Loved him. The bigger towel line had me laughing out loud. DB Woodside nails humor. Loved his scenes with Ella, they had nice chemistry. I don't know if they can become besties or more, but they are kindred spirits in a way, and in their faith.

I knew that Dan had fallen for Charlotte, poor Dan. Douchifer is still great.

I'm intrigued by the new arc storyline. I hope the show surprises me and Chloe learns the truth, and believes it, before the winter hiatus.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 5

Ella feeling up Amenadil was hilarious and yet somehow in character, (despite being wildly inappropriate in an office setting, just saying). 

But I think best line goes to Linda for her early scene with Lucifer, 

Lucifer: "It's easy, snip, snip and Bob's your uncle."

Linda: "Ya well, God's your father."

2 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

Tell me that Lieutenant Jackass is like the ham from the Sopranos and will be killed off next episode.

Yep. That is what I'm hoping for too. This guy was an ass on every level. 

Edited by CaptainTightpants
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, CaptainTightpants said:

Yep. That is what I'm hoping for too. This guy was an ass on every level. 

He was probably supposed to come off like that (I'm in the USA and haven't seen the episode).  However, he'll likely moderate some in future episodes and we'll learn stuff about him that puts his assholery in context.  Or he'll stay an unmitigated asshole until his richly deserved horrible death.  You never can tell with this show.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

Did the devil-face not work because of the Sinnerman (or some other force), or was it Chloe's negating powers affect on Luci?

My gut feeling is that Sinnerman is probably an angel and figured out some kind of voodoo that lets him take Lucifer's devil face as long as Lucifer has his wings.  Sinnerman's goal being to rule hell.

I probably have to get this out before gushing about the rest of the show, but Tom Welling doesn't fit into that part at all.  It felt like it was written for someone that wasn't Chloe's age.  And frankly, its awkward in a star from a teen show plays a serial killer in a made for tv movie to break the stereotype way.

• Love 9

Super happy to see this show returning! 

Tom Welling is the new Detective Douche it looks like, although he might get better. Also, am I crazy, or did I notice a weird flirty vibe between him Luci when Luci asked if he had been snogged in awhile? Just me? 

Amenadiel being annoyed with Lucifers emojii texting was super hilarious. I also just realized that he and Ella had never had a scene before, it was nice to see them together, with Ella giving him a pep talk, somewhat accidentally. They could be pretty good friends, bonding over their faith. 

Poor Dan, he is still hung up on Charlotte. I do continue to love his snarky friendship with Lucifer. They snap at and insult each other, but they still come off as more friends than real rivals anymore. 

The wings look really cool, even if something is up with them. I wonder if Lucifer didn't tell Amenadiel about getting his wings back because he didn't want to start a fight, or because he didn't want to hurt his feelings? Or a combination of both. 

• Love 4

Maze was sorely missed. I mean I get they had no choice but I need a Maze fix even more now!

Overall a solid come back. The Emoji text was hilarious.  Amenadiel and Ella continues the trend of any combination of the cast working.  Tom Welling could very well kill that but so far he was okay at not fitting in. 

I kind of love that Chloe barely registered Luci's "devil-napping" and we weren't put through an episode of "you took off again!" 

• Love 11
51 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

Did the devil-face not work because of the Sinnerman (or some other force), or was it Chloe's negating powers affect on Luci?

So glad this show is back!

That's an excellent point about Luci's "devil face" being part of the whole Chloe-vulnerability thing. It makes a lot of sense that the writers would go that route because I don't think Chloe can handle that face and still want to see "his thing". Speaking of "his thing", why the Hell did Chloe bring that up to the new Lt.? Why say she's going to cut short the "personal relationship"? The Lt. doesn't need to know that crap.

I agree with Happy Harpy; in an episode that has no appearance from Maze nor Trixie, we needed more Linda.

This was a good episode (glad it's back), but it looks like they dialed up the grim and ghastly this season. I don't think TW is Sinnerman. For one, TW, is not the type of actor who is willing to play that dark of a role despite the lack of a resume. I've watched Smallville through all 10 seasons and he only went dark a few times. It just doesn't fit him very well.

As far as Luci sparing Amenedude the news of his wings in the beginning, I really do think Luci was trying to spare him any further emotional pain.

Final thought, I wish they had shown the beach scene in its entirety. It was juxtaposed with the Luci/Amenedude scene at the end and it was kind of confusing as to when did that beach scene occur. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Gigi43 said:

The Emoji text was hilarious.

Whoever wrote that has a great feeling for the absurdity of life.  I really liked that.

1 hour ago, Gigi43 said:

Amenadiel and Ella continues the trend of any combination of the cast working

Any combination, so far, has sparkled.  When do we get to hear Ella's backstory? (Is her name a clue?)

34 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Final thought, I wish they had shown the beach scene in its entirety. It was juxtaposed with the Luci/Amenedude scene at the end and it was kind of confusing as to when did that beach scene occur. 

Did we see, last season how Charlotte got off the beach and back to her life? 

Speaking of closure, the fugitive driver of the armored car was last seen wandering barefoot across the desert.  Is he gone (in every way) for good/bad?  It really bothered my husband and me that he was left in the desert- guess we've spent too much time out in that part of the world.  

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Speaking of closure, the fugitive driver of the armored car was last seen wandering barefoot across the desert.  Is he gone (in every way) for good/bad?  It really bothered my husband and me that he was left in the desert- guess we've spent too much time out in that part of the world.  

That bugged me too. That guy could die out there, especially without even clothes! Yeah he was a thief and Lucifer is morally sketchy, but playing that for laughs seems a bit harsh. Maybe he was closer to a town or city than we saw? Really the only thing that bothered me in what was otherwise a great season opener. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, MorganSte said:
5 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

OK, I don't understand this.  I've gone back, and I still don't understand it.

Help.

"Bob's Your Uncle" is a British phrase meaning "very easy/quickly done"

Thank you.  I was wandering into transgender territory.

1 hour ago, enoughcats said:

When I said "beach scene", I meant the one when the hired kidnapper was skewered on the rebar sticking up. I didn't know if the scene occurred before or after Luci met with Amenedude. I would like for that scene to have played out in full, not woven into the scene with Amenedude.

• Love 1

Is it just me or have they made Ella a complete ditz? They need to tone her back down, she was kind of ridiculous.

No Maze or Trixie :-(

We finally got rid of mom, I don't really want some evil guy battling Lucifer all season. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, CaptainTightpants said:

I love how Amenadiel calls Lucifer "Lucy". And I totally think that Lucifer should start calling him "Amy". In a brotherly, affectionate and non-ironic way. I find the whole idea way, way more entertaining than it probably merits! (:

If Lucy doesn't start calling him Amy, I sure as hell will! 

I'm leaning towards Lucy being unable to show demon face due to proximity to Chloe.

Tom Welling was much better than the first season of Smallville (the only one I watched) but he's still a bad actor.  Hopefully the directors this season figure out a way to make that work for the character.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

I'm leaning towards Lucy being unable to show demon face due to proximity to Chloe.

I hope so. Right now, I'm rather wary of the direction the show is heading. Yes, it's supernatural, but having an individual who is supposedly not Dad who has the power to give Lucifer his wings back is already stretching credibility for me. If the individual also had the power to take away Lucifer's demon face, well... Not buying it. I don't think there's any religion who has more than one all-powerful God. Even the ancient Roman and Greek Gods had a leader who was supposedly more powerful than the others. So, what they are suggesting makes little sense to me and just doesn't seem plausible/possible.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Whoever wrote that has a great feeling for the absurdity of life.  I really liked that.

Any combination, so far, has sparkled.  When do we get to hear Ella's backstory? (Is her name a clue?)

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

That bugged me too. That guy could die out there, especially without even clothes! Yeah he was a thief and Lucifer is morally sketchy, but playing that for laughs seems a bit harsh. Maybe he was closer to a town or city than we saw? Really the only thing that bothered me in what was otherwise a great season opener. 

FWIW I'm pretty sure that would be jewel thief turned armored car thief still had his shoes on while he was running through the desert in his "manties".   So not much better, but at least he wasn't barefoot.

• Love 1

What was up with the exceptionally bright lights in the police station? At first I thought they were going for a bright sun through the window effect. But it looked more like a grip left a light stand in the wrong place and nobody noticed. It showed up in several different angles/scenes. What were they thinking?

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

I hope so. Right now, I'm rather wary of the direction the show is heading. Yes, it's supernatural, but having an individual who is supposedly not Dad who has the power to give Lucifer his wings back is already stretching credibility for me. If the individual also had the power to take away Lucifer's demon face, well... Not buying it. I don't think there's any religion who has more than one all-powerful God. Even the ancient Roman and Greek Gods had a leader who was supposedly more powerful than the others. So, what they are suggesting makes little sense to me and just doesn't seem plausible/possible.

Yeah, I'm hoping that this *does* turn out to be more of Dad's manipulations or similar rather than someone acting against him and using Lucifer for his own purposes. My first thought was the proximity to Chloe thing meaning he is unable to produce devil face and I'm surprised Lucifer didn't even mention it.

This episode was good but it was a lot of setting up and Maze was sorely missed. I know his introduction was deliberately douchy but right now not looking forward to a season of TW as Marcus Pierce, as said above it didn't really fit in with the episode. 

Loved the Linda scenes "Yeah, well, God's your father!"

I did think Ella was a bit OTT quirky/bubbly but she and Amenadude did play off each other really well so that was a big plus, I guess this is the start of revealing that she is or knows more than she seems.

Still not on the Lucifer/Chloe as a romantic relationship train but there wasn't much of that this episode. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Not buying it. I don't think there's any religion who has more than one all-powerful God. Even the ancient Roman and Greek Gods had a leader who was supposedly more powerful than the others.

Aren't there a few religions that believe in Polytheisms. I know Norse and Greek mythology believe that Odin and Zeus are the All-Powerful God, but Druids believe in the Celtic deities, which have multiple Gods with no Supreme All Powerful God. (Perhaps Buddhist are similar in that they don't follow a single deity)

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

Tell me that Lieutenant Jackass is like the ham from the Sopranos and will be killed off next episode.

Ohh that was bad. I enjoy Tom Welling but not only did he look bad.... he didn't fit with this show at all. Way too serious for a young guy. I am afraid the writers are going for a love triangle with him and Chloe and Luci. 

The main cast was wonderful again.  I still think all this "sinner man" will come to nothing and that Luci will get his wings back because he is changing into a better being. 

I agree the demon face is because of Chloe. I think it makes the most sense because she makes him vulnerable. It was funny the look on her face when she thought Luci had gas. Not sure why though he doesn't make more serious attempts. Send in his brother or Maze to show their stuff or talk to her about it.  He has never wavered on the story. That alone should make her wonder because clearly he isn't insane. 

• Love 4

The build-up with the Lt walking down the stairs I thought is was going to be some old school big name - they showed him and I was all -  meh, no clue who that is.

Love this show - so happy it's back.

Lucy could show Chloe his wings - I guess she wouldn't believe he's the devil - but she would believe that he's not Human.

Amy desperately wants his wings back and can't have them, Lucy doesn't want wings at all and keeps getting them.   

• Love 5

Because Lucifer is the devil, I think he should have black wings- also, it would match his lucious locks and provide contrast to his very pale english skin.  /sartorially shallow.

I feel that they wrote Ella as more quirky because Maze is on maternity leave.

I hope Tom Welling settles into his role quickly. 

Amandiel and Linda continue to be amazing.

But the man impaled on the spike made me look at my clock- pretty gruesome for an 8pm show.

• Love 2

100% speculation.

Ella is God/The Voice Of God.

Marcus Pierce is Michael or a similar angel.  He's managing to hide it from Lucifer somehow.

Dan is the only character who is just a regular old human.

This is the 1st time, I believe, I've ever heard the phrase, "When God kicks you in the nuts..."

• Love 2

Regarding the wings, were his original wings white as well?  Because it seems like his "devilness" for lack of a better term has been taken and he has been returned to basic angel status it seems unless I am misinterpreting this story arc.

1 hour ago, Unclejosh said:

Regarding the wings, were his original wings white as well?  Because it seems like his "devilness" for lack of a better term has been taken and he has been returned to basic angel status it seems unless I am misinterpreting this story arc.

His original wings were also white, though I don't know why Amenadude's were black. Luci has always been a "basic angel", his story is that God just decided he would best serve as the Devil and cast him down.

• Love 1
On 10/3/2017 at 0:43 AM, CheshireCat said:

Not buying it. I don't think there's any religion who has more than one all-powerful God

Perhaps post-Zoroastrianism?

On 10/2/2017 at 7:40 PM, janeta said:

The new loo is a douche

Maybe, but remember that he only knew our crew from their files and the like.  It's a bit like Dr. Linda facing suspension/expulsion last season.  We like Dr. Linda and want good things for her, but she did sleep with her patient and help arrange an escape from a mental health facility.  If it was somebody we didn't know, I think "Kick her out" would be a reasonable response.  When you get down do it, Dan actually is/was "a corrupt cop who got off easy."  Chloe Decker seems to be a fairly capable detective even though she was married to said corrupt cop.  And Lucifer?  Why the fuck is some hedonistic rich-boy nightclub owner who styles himself as the Devil considered to be an LAPD consultant?  I can see how the new lieutenant would be skeptical of these people.  Still, the only one he seemed actively hostile to was Dan, who was, again, a corrupt cop who got off easy. 

Also, Aristoo!  And, damn Aristoo's kind of a dick in this episode, huh?

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 11
11 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Yes, it's supernatural, but having an individual who is supposedly not Dad who has the power to give Lucifer his wings back is already stretching credibility for me. If the individual also had the power to take away Lucifer's demon face, well... Not buying it.

Sinnerman will probably be the season villain, but I bet that he's a red herring when it comes to Lucifer's wings and demon face (if the latter's absence isn't Chloe-related, I agree). It's typical Luci to obsess on one  culprit, and often the wrong one at first, especially when his daddy issues are triggered. I think that Amenadiel gave the key from the start, but it will take the whole season for Luci to accept that he redeemed himself.  It would be Dad's doing in a way, but also the result of Lucifer's free will.

The only other I could imagine being behind the whole thing  is Mom. She is, after all, the goddess of all creation. 

I actually expected Lucifer to show his wings to Chloe, not his devil face; but of course he had cut them off. Please show, surprise me and let it happen fast.

• Love 4

I think it is pretty clear that Marcus knows more about who Lucifer really is, than he is letting on. 

I immediately thought the new loo either is Sinnerman or is working for him.

For some reason when I heard Sinnerman I went back to Sineater from Sleepy Hollow (btw can we please have John Noble be Sinnerman?)

I totally thought that Luci couldn't show his face to Cloe because of who she is, and I thought how did we all not think of that when wanting him to reveal himself in the last few seasons. Makes too much sense for it to be anything else. I do think at least that part of Sinnerman's involvement is a red herring. He still was able to get the true desire from the thief, so his powers should be the same.

I really wanted to like Tom Welling, cause I loved Smallville but then I remembered that I loved Smallville because of Michael Rosenbaum and Allison Mack lol

Linda is still awesome. "Yeah, well, God's your father"

• Love 6

Next week I want more Linda and I need some Maze and Trixie.  It's still weird to me how much I adore Scarlett Estevez as Trixie.  Most of the time my feelings toward child characters range from mild tolerance to active dislike. 

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 8
20 hours ago, MostlyC said:

With the accent, I'm hearing "Cinnamon."  

Me too! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I could not place the actor who played Lt. Pierce.  It wasn't until I came to this board today that I realized it was Tom Welling.  I used to have a massive crush on him, but Tom Ellis now has him beat, hands down! 

I wonder if Lucy and/or Amy (like that, by the way) will save the feathers from the second set of wings (the first set removed in this episode) because, as we learned last season, they have divine properties?

• Love 2
21 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Tom Welling is the new Detective Douche it looks like, although he might get better. Also, am I crazy, or did I notice a weird flirty vibe between him Luci when Luci asked if he had been snogged in awhile? Just me?

Not just you, but I think Tom Ellis has that with basically everyone.

16 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I doubt Amenadiel at his full power could make direct changes to Lucifer's form and abilities against his will, so with Mum's permanent exile that reduces our list of possible responsible parties to one. There's just not anything else in an Abrahamic religion-based setting with the necessary oomph to play games with the Devil like that. The transformations he's experiencing probably have nothing to do with the kidnapping and this Sinnerman character, though clearly something of a fairly powerful supernatural nature has to be going on with the latter for it to have been possible to KO Lucifer even from an ambush while he was preoccupied. I'm thinking they might be bringing in a TV adaptation of the Jin en Mok or the Silk Man from the Mike Carey comics series as an outside antagonist who's not a relative.

• Love 2

In season 1, episode 1, when both Chloe and Lucifer were shot, he was able to show his Demon face to the killer and he was on the room with Chloe. At that time he wasn't able to affect her with his "Desire" gift.

• Love 4