Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E06: Models Off Duty

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Another shorty here-4'11". "Petite" sizes are laughable; they're still several inches too long. I like capris, too, for the same reason. I weigh around 105 pounds (maybe less now since I just had bowel surgery 2 days ago) and it's really hard to find things that fit. I'm short, have a small waist, longish legs, short torso, but then have an ample chest and backside. I wear a women's size 5 in shoes, although sometimes I still have to stuff them. When I am wealthy, I am going to have shit made for me. 

First of all, Mamadrama, hope you are feeling well and healing from your surgery! Sounds like we are "build twins" to a big degree ... I tower over you at 5'2" but am small-framed, very high-waisted (if you can find my waist amid my mid-50s flab) with HUGE girls ... to the point that basically there IS no waist, just a big rack and then my lower half ... I have not been able to wear a tailored shirt/blouse tucked into nice pants since I was ... well, ever. I have to work everything around the largest common denominator, which means kinda tunic tops over slim cut comfy pants or skirts that have NO buttons, etc so that it falls smoothly ... or sundresses that make me look pregnant ...

Coupled with my similar sized feet to yours ... anything from a 2-6 fits (the kids and adults size have a lot of overlap but I like to shop in the kids department since they're cheaper, cuter and I don't wear heels or I'll topple over) ... I have finally just thrown my hands up in the air and accepted I'll never "look good in clothes" ... but I LOVE to design them on pads and dream of learning how to sew and design stuff that would actually maybe FIT me and LOOK DECENT on me when I retire in a few years and get a big-ass old sewing machine in the apartment we get in some 55+ community in California and make my own clothes and someday go on Project Runway: Senior Amateurs. Join me?

PS I've found H&M has pants I love ... kind of slouchy and loose, funky and comfortable ... I roll them up a tiny bit, sew a small button on each lower leg above the cuff, and hand-sew on a small loop so I can keep the cuffs from falling under my shoes or getting caught in my heels. 

• Love 9

I will miss Samantha, but she had me a little perplexed this week. Her model requested "grunge," but somehow that morphed into Lolita? Has the world redefined "grunge"? Because I am from Seattle and maybe I am stuck in the '90s but if you ask ME for grunge, we all will be harking back to Kurt Cobain. 

• Love 16
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

To be fair, Bettani's look was very costume-y this week.

As the first one to call her "sketchy" at the beginning of the season, it's clear to me she's STILL using her fabrics to do all the real work.  A simple cropped ruffle and basic pencil skirt constructed of printed fabric strips.  That look is definitely NOT "street".....unless they're in downtown Nairobi.  (And no, I'm not racist.)   And it's not fashion.  

I think Tim has fired a warning shot to clue in the judges about how the twins work.  Maybe he's heard so much grumbling in the workroom that he knows it's coming to a head....very soon.  

And I agree Tim's probably saving his save for a bad look from Kentaro, Brandon or possibly Michael.  I think he likes all of them.  Hell, I like all of them. 

And as for Kentaro, I agree with the judges that the denim legwarmers that give the look of jeans under a very long top is SO brilliant.  None of the bulk of wearing actual jeans.  Sadly, I'll bet some clothing manufacturer is ripping them off right now and has them in production.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 16
10 minutes ago, leighdear said:

As the first one to call her "sketchy" at the beginning of the season, it's clear to me she's STILL using her fabrics to do all the real work.  A simple cropped ruffle and basic pencil skirt constructed of printed fabric strips.  That look is definitely NOT "street".....unless they're in downtown Nairobi.  (And no, I'm not racist.)   And it's not fashion.  

ITA.  And I guess it's because she didn't make it to the critique (although one can make a strong argument that she should have!) that we didn't hear the judges point out that her garment was too Nigerian costumey. But I was giving Zac and Nina a side-eye for clowning Margarita's about it being "so Miami."  Uhhh...and what's wrong with that?  Why couldn't it be streetware for Miami?  Or San Juan?  I guess in their minds, streetware must equate to NYC streetware.  Not cool.

• Love 18
11 hours ago, Archery said:

Dear Kentaro, it is not racist to reference Africa in a sentence because "Africa" is not a derogatory term.  It is an actual place.  You are like those people who will say "a black person," but whisper "black" as if they're trying not to swear.  And you don't get a pass for being from Japan; bigotry is not solely an American cultural phenomenon.  Those prints and head wraps are not "costumes" -- people of great style and fashion sense wear them all around the world, and it's nice to have a non-Eurocentric POV every couple of seasons.

In other news, I was actually worried that Brandon's model would wipe out by stepping on one of those overly long pant-straps.  

I think Kentaro has an interesting grasp of english....didn't he randomly use the word "Mayonnaise?"  I loved the prints she picked out but didn't love the outfit.

Both Kenya's and Kentaro's looked like something you see in a magazine or the NYTimes style section, people attending fashion week or whatever.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, millennium said:

I didn't detect the slightest trace of bigotry in Kentaro's statement.   He simply didn't want to offend anyone. 

Why would the mere mention of the word Africa be offensive?  The statement wouldn't make any sense if you replaced Africa with Europe or Canada. 

• Love 3

While I like Brandon's aesthetic (though would like to see other things too from him), I would humbly suggest to him that he never dye anything so that it has faint smears of brown on it, looking like whatever was on it didn't quite come all the way out in the wash.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I will miss Samantha, but she had me a little perplexed this week. Her model requested "grunge," but somehow that morphed into Lolita? Has the world redefined "grunge"? Because I am from Seattle and maybe I am stuck in the '90s but if you ask ME for grunge, we all will be harking back to Kurt Cobain. 

I'm with ya! 

There were 10 designers this week, right? Do we know for sure they're pairing them up next week? Because if so we currently have an odd number, so...does someone come back? 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Archery said:

Why would the mere mention of the word Africa be offensive?

He didn't just say the word Africa. He used the term 'African print'. Perhaps he thought assuming a particular print style was connected with a particular part of the world might be considered racist. 

I can imagine circumstances where associating a style of clothing with a particular race or nationality could be offensive. Not this one, but he wasn't sure. 

• Love 12

I got so wrapped up in BB that I didn't realize this was on.  My DVR should have picked it up. I just binged 6 episodes.  I have yet to read each program thread and I may just skip that and jump in. 

6 episodes in a row of those twins is not good. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Same here! Due to having a booty, I learned that in order to fit my ass into pants, I had to buy pants that were too big in the waist which resulted in that annoying gap at the waistband (which is even more annoying when it's cold!).

It sounds like you would have enjoyed 70s and 80s Chic jeans. That time period was when I was a teen, and curvy girls were in: Suzanne Sommers, Lynda Carter, Farah Faucette, Morgan Fairchild. I sadly was accidentally "heroine chic" before it was in vogue (thank goodness I later gained weight - being overly skinny and living in a cold climate was annoying.) I had no bust or hips and despite having a little bit of rounded backside, many of the girls' jeans of my time were all about the hips... small waist, well rounded hips. I got my jeans in the boys section.  I'm 5' 4", so don't remember how the length back then fit or if you could find shorter ones, but I think if you Google vintage or 70s / 80s Chic jeans, you might be able to find some jeans that would fit nicely without so much baggyness in the waist area. I suspect that someone might be selling them on E-bay or Etsy. Now granted they are all what's now considered "high waist" - though to me, I've always worn jeans at my waist. I'm long-waisted and don't don't like hip jeans anyway. I always feel like I should be pulling them up. And if I want a "longer waist" look, I just don't tuck my shirts and wear them out half over my hips.

12 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Brandon's design was a hot mess, IMHO, but they just gushed over it so much that I have to think he is TCO.

Brandon was in the safe group this week, so I don't recall any gushing. Unless you are talking about a previous week, in which case my mistake.

I myself have a weird thing about Brandon's stuff. Theoretically I see where I shouldn't like it - the muted colors and strange prints and strips of fabric - but somehow I end up liking the way his cothes look and move anyway. Somehow I still find them interesting and beautiful in a unique and unusual way... and I like that I can see something different like that and find it beautiful anyway.

But then again my love affair with this show (I've watched since season 1) is weird anyway, because my usual attire is jeans and T-shirts with comfortable (yet cute-ish) shoes.  I am so not a fashion wearing person.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, AwesomO4000 said:

It sounds like you would have enjoyed 70s and 80s Chic jeans. That time period was when I was a teen, and curvy girls were in: Suzanne Sommers, Lynda Carter, Farah Faucette, Morgan Fairchild. I sadly was accidentally "heroine chic" before it was in vogue (thank goodness I later gained weight - being overly skinny and living in a cold climate was annoying.) I had no bust or hips and despite having a little bit of rounded backside, many of the girls' jeans of my time were all about the hips... small waist, well rounded hips. I got my jeans in the boys section.  I'm 5' 4", so don't remember how the length back then fit or if you could find shorter ones, but I think if you Google vintage or 70s / 80s Chic jeans, you might be able to find some jeans that would fit nicely without so much baggyness in the waist area. I suspect that someone might be selling them on E-bay or Etsy. Now granted they are all what's now considered "high waist" - though to me, I've always worn jeans at my waist. I'm long-waisted and don't don't like hip jeans anyway. I always feel like I should be pulling them up. And if I want a "longer waist" look, I just don't tuck my shirts and wear them out half over my hips.

Brandon was in the safe group this week, so I don't recall any gushing. Unless you are talking about a previous week, in which case my mistake.

I myself have a weird thing about Brandon's stuff. Theoretically I see where I shouldn't like it - the muted colors and strange prints and strips of fabric - but somehow I end up liking the way his cothes look and move anyway. Somehow I still find them interesting and beautiful in a unique and unusual way... and I like that I can see something different like that and find it beautiful anyway.

But then again my love affair with this show (I've watched since season 1) is weird anyway, because my usual attire is jeans and T-shirts with comfortable (yet cute-ish) shoes.  I am so not a fashion wearing person.

Omg. You just brought me back 30 ...whoops...35 years. I loved my Chic jeans!

Edited by English Teacher
Math
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, beaker73 said:

There were 10 designers this week, right? Do we know for sure they're pairing them up next week? Because if so we currently have an odd number, so...does someone come back? 

Actually 11 - 5 on the back row and 6 on the front.  This is what I do during Heidi's boring spiels.

19 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Maybe he wasn't certain what would be considered offensive in this country and was just double checking.

Kentaro was called out by other contestants in one of the earliest shows for using a word considered derogatory (fat?).  I'm sure he's now trying to be more aware of not causing offence.

Oh, so it was ChaCha (thanks Tiramisu) who was called out earlier, not Kentaro.  Still.

Edited by Brookside
ChaCha not Kentaro.
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Beden said:

I also had a very large problem with the fact that--as mentioned by almost everyone on this site-- she didn't design it herself, just ripped off what her model showed up in that day. And, seriously, anyone who calls themselves a designer who can't sew in a zipper or a waistband needs remedial sewing lessons--that's 7th grade home ec stuff.

You're obviously too young to have watched Anya's season.

• Love 16
35 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Kentaro was called out by other contestants in one of the earliest shows for using a word considered derogatory (fat?).  I'm sure he's now trying to be more aware of not causing offence.

No, that was ChaCha. 

But, I didn't mind him asking either, better to ask, than to offend - especially on television. Maybe he thought he should rather say a specific country instead of a whole continent or something like it.

11 hours ago, Beden said:

And, seriously, anyone who calls themselves a designer who can't sew in a zipper or a waistband needs remedial sewing lessons--that's 7th grade home ec stuff.

Why, if you have a sister who'll do it for you? What's the point of having a twin on the same show then? ;)

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Yokosmom said:

Most of them (I think) are not from New York--all they may know is that Brooklyn is supposed to be a hipster type of place.  At any rate, I'm assuming that they are all coached to have these over the top, enthusiastic reactions to the challenges--at least I hope so.

Judging by their phony baloney breathless reactions to whatever silly get-up Heidi's wearing, I would say that's probably the case.

(Which reminds me -- I found it ironic that Heidi would criticize a designer for being able to see the underside of the model's butt cheek when in the same episode she herself appeared in an outfit that ridiculously bared the underside of her boobs.)

• Love 17
30 minutes ago, millennium said:

Judging by their phony baloney breathless reactions to whatever silly get-up Heidi's wearing, I would say that's probably the case.

That happens on Top Chef too. Whether it's a semi-famous chef (which I guess it's not surprising that they have heard of), a B-list celebrity, or a *politician* for goodness sake (Season Washington D.C. I'm looking at you) they get breathless just being in the same space with them.

32 minutes ago, millennium said:

(Which reminds me -- I found it ironic that Heidi would criticize a designer for being able to see the underside of the model's butt cheek when in the same episode she herself appeared in an outfit that ridiculously bared the underside of her boobs.)

NO KIDDING! Now "bottom boobs" are the new "side boobs". And hers are a bit droopy for that.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Brookside said:
15 hours ago, Beden said:

I also had a very large problem with the fact that--as mentioned by almost everyone on this site-- she didn't design it herself, just ripped off what her model showed up in that day. And, seriously, anyone who calls themselves a designer who can't sew in a zipper or a waistband needs remedial sewing lessons--that's 7th grade home ec stuff.

You're obviously too young to have watched Anya's season.

Bless your heart! Actually I'm of an age to be Anya's grandmother and yes--she would have benefited from a home ec course. Though I did think that she used her ignorance of technique as a sympathy card to some degree. You know: ' plucky, dear thing--look at her trying to make a pair of pants! Isn't she just the cutest thing?'

• Love 9
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

That happens on Top Chef too. Whether it's a semi-famous chef (which I guess it's not surprising that they have heard of), a B-list celebrity, or a *politician* for goodness sake (Season Washington D.C. I'm looking at you) they get breathless just being in the same space with them.

NO KIDDING! Now "bottom boobs" are the new "side boobs". And hers are a bit droopy for that.

On behind the scenes specials about reality shows, many people from different shows have said that the contestants are required to ooh and aah at certain things and if they aren't enthusiastic enough, the producers make them shoot it again.

The more popular popular term is underboob.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

For me, Brandon's looks take me back to the 80's musical groups.  I can see Boy George or all 3 girls from Bananarama wearing those outfits.  The New Wave feel with rampant androgeny, tomboy vibes, loose overalls with tiny tube tops underneath, cropped length and with cute flats.  I was there, loved the fashions & still do.  They're the closest I've seen since Alicia in Season 10 and I adored her.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 20
8 hours ago, English Teacher said:

Omg. You just brought me back 30 ...whoops...35 years. I loved my Chic jeans!

Me, too. And I think @AwesomO4000 just explained why I can no longer find pants that fit. The waistband always gaps, sometimes a couple or more inches. I thought maybe I was a funny shape, but it's because I have a waist that is about 10 inches smaller than my hips. And pants, and jeans, used to be designed for that.

52 minutes ago, leighdear said:

For me, Brandon's looks take me back to the 80's musical groups.  I can see Boy George or all 3 girls from Bananarama wearing those outfits.  The New Wave feel with rampant androgeny, tomboy vibes, loose overalls with tiny tube tops underneath, cropped length and with cute flats.  I was there, loved the fashions & still do.  They're the closest I've seen since Alicia in Season 10 and I adored her.  

That explains why even though I think his designs are going to look ugly, I like them anyway. I saw the finished look on the runway this week and kind of wanted to go out and buy it.

I also sort of liked the idea of Kenya's with the vest, but the shirt was too froufy for me. I would have preferred something more tailored and probably untucked, although it wouldn't have been anything new so it probably wouldn't be good for this show. Honestly, I can't figure out how anyone designs something that is new or how the judges think any designs are something they haven't seen before.

• Love 4

On the Kentaro word-choice front, different words have different connotations in different places, even in the same language. I know a white woman from Zimbabwe, and there "colored" is an appropriate, official way to refer to some people. Imagine the reaction she got when she used it here!

• Love 11

I love Brandon's clothes!  I can see him winning this.  

1 hour ago, auntlada said:

Honestly, I can't figure out how anyone designs something that is new or how the judges think any designs are something they haven't seen before.

Cha Cha was unique in a terrible way!  I am shocked he was cast.  He either has a mental skew or acted the part to get attention.  

1 hour ago, auntlada said:

That explains why even though I think his designs are going to look ugly, I like them anyway. I saw the finished look on the runway this week and kind of wanted to go out and buy it.

Are the photos of the runway show out already?  I found a few but not the usual spread. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, gingerormaryann said:

Shawn was accused of copying a design in this challenge, but 2 is better than 1.  Amy has her Instagram showing the, shall we say, similarities between what Claire "designed" and a Puma design, which Claire is modeling.   

and didn't she tell TIm she planned to put some lettering on the sleeve "like Nike or New Balance"?????? (Not certain of the brands she referenced).

• Love 2

Daaaaaaaamn. That's a pretty blatant move, copying something everyone has already seen you wearing. Something with a distinct and memorable feature like that shoulder zipper. Funny that Amy seems to not remember seeing it when they first met. Claire must not have worn it again after she ripped it off.

Wow. I really hope Shawn is booted first. I want to see if Claire actually can design anything on her own. Is she so busy helping Shawn that she just has to copy/throw a garment together? Or does she just have no ideas at all?

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

Daaaaaaaamn. That's a pretty blatant move, copying something everyone has already seen you wearing. Something with a distinct and memorable feature like that shoulder zipper. Funny that Amy seems to not remember seeing it when they first met. Claire must not have worn it again after she ripped it off.

so that was at the initial cocktail party intro? What nerve!!!!

• Love 2

I think the sheer amount of comments we have analyzing Kentaro's comment show how sensitive we've gotten.  I mean it's Kentaro.  That guy doesn't have a mean, offensive, or racist bone in his body.  He did make a spectacular look for this runway, though, and I'm glad he was rewarded.  I love Brandon and his relationship with Kentaro, but I really think he needs to step it up and show the judges something new.

• Love 22
4 hours ago, leighdear said:

Holy 80's batman - your post just made the image of Dexy's Midnight Runners' "Come on Eileen" flash through my mind!  And it's been a long, long time since I thought about that, so I looked it up and you are SO right about the outfits!  

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, dleighg said:

so that was at the initial cocktail party intro? What nerve!!!!

Good for Amy!  Maybe this is what all the teases about cheating are leading up to.  And Hair had the nerve to ooh and ahh over her own shoulder zipper, which turns out. . . wasn't her own at all.  Well for everything the twinsies lack in taste, manners, creativity, self-awareness and humility, they certainly make it up with an embarrassing excess of  arrogance.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, wings707 said:

I love Brandon's clothes!  I can see him winning this.  

Cha Cha was unique in a terrible way!  I am shocked he was cast.  He either has a mental skew or acted the part to get attention.  

Are the photos of the runway show out already?  I found a few but not the usual spread. 

I don't know. I was just talking about during the show, which I didn't get to see until Friday. I have to watch on the app because we don't get Lifetime.

Here's the link with photos of the final looks, on the runway. 

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/pictures/season-16-episode-6-final-looks/pr16-ep6-ab-final

I don't like how they've changed the website so that you can't zoom in on the garments.  It used to be possible.  Maybe now they know seeing the photos so close up reveals too much atrocious workmanship.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, leighdear said:

I don't like how they've changed the website so that you can't zoom in on the garments.  It used to be possible.  Maybe now they know seeing the photos so close up reveals too much atrocious workmanship.  

Some of which can also be attributed to the fact that the designers have, maybe, 12 hours to design, shop and deliver a finished garment with limited sleep. That's not a sarcastic rebuttal--honest. It's a simple fact.

• Love 7

I seem to remember somebody doing an evaluation of past seasons and found that the number of 1 day challenges hasn't increased significantly from the first few seasons to the most recent seasons.  No idea who it was or what the numbers actually were, but the final analysis was that the contestants in the Bravo years were generally more skilled at construction.  The past few seasons have had some incredibly skilled people like Kini & Dmitry, but I see them as the exception rather than the rule.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, gingerormaryann said:

Shawn was accused of copying a design in this challenge, but 2 is better than 1.  Amy has her Instagram showing the, shall we say, similarities between what Claire "designed" and a Puma design, which Claire is modeling.   

Wow. Also, unflattering so why pick THaT to copy? Probably for its simplicity but it's hard to tell because they both photograph as masses of black. I still can't believe this made the cut over Samantha's!

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Wow. Also, unflattering so why pick THaT to copy?

and let's be honest-- wearing it with the zipper open must be somewhat uncomfortable, right? It just seems like you forgot to do something. Like finish getting dressed. Though the "real" one looks more planned, as the zipper is more of an asymmetric neckline. The copy-cat just looks weird.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 6
48 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Here's the link with photos of the final looks, on the runway. 

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/pictures/season-16-episode-6-final-looks/pr16-ep6-ab-final

i think Claire's rip-off shorts were unhemmed. Didn't she or Shawn hack them off into hot pants at the 11th hour? Bleh. Took me back to '70s roller disco 

• Love 1
On 9/22/2017 at 3:07 PM, mamadrama said:

Maybe he wasn't certain what would be considered offensive in this country and was just double checking.

He's aware/acute  enough of  American culture  of trying   not  to accidentally  go  down  the bigoted rabbit hole of  the difference - say between,  Jew Dr vs Jewish Dr or People of color vs colored people in meaning

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 11

Well, if they wanted me to hate everyone, that episode did it. Still annoyed by the twins, but more annoyed by Kenya whining. With all the help everyone has given each other, she could ask instead of bitch and moan about the twins. 

Margarita lying about her model and getting away with it. Dead to me. 

Brandon sending the same shit down the runway, but still getting the star treatment by editing. 

Samantha and her pedo-inspired Loli obsession. 

Tim framing Claire's decision to go with shorts really differently than it was shown. She seemed pretty set on shorts, since she kept making them shorter and shorter. 

Heidi flashing her tits on TV, then clutching pearls over the very bottom of a model's ass. 

Kentaro trying to avoid being culturally insensitive was cute. Michael working it out for Liris was cool. Everything else was fucking awful. 

• Love 5