Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Let Them Eat Cake

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Mollie said:

I thought it was childish.  Throughout that episode, Joy never appeared to be excited about getting married.  Her lack of enthusiasm even led Jessa to offer to plan her wedding for her.  She never once looked like she was in love with Austin.

I loved Jessa in that scene. She just had this demeanor like "I don't want to be here all day watching this slack-jawed moron deliberate over $30 bridesmaid dresses, so I'm gonna have to plan this damn wedding myself."

• Love 19
12 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Jinger used the phrase "law of physics."  I never would have thought she had heard of that.  I'm impressed.

Jeremy was such a dick in that scene. He knew full well that the coffee would spill. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Mollie said:

I thought it was childish.  Throughout that episode, Joy never appeared to be excited about getting married.  Her lack of enthusiasm even led Jessa to offer to plan her wedding for her.  She never once looked like she was in love with Austin.

It was weird.  Joy looked annoyed with everyone, including Austin.  I didn't like Austin at all during the episode either.  Yuck.

Since the show chronology is way off, we have already seen that Joy looks happy. Austin seems much less dickish too. He warmed up.  

Another Duggar Weirdism. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

Between the cake testing & how she should wear her hair at the wedding, it doesn't seem like these two can make any decision.  What a marriage this will be if each decision has to go back & forth 20 times.

Boy, MEchelle sure got dressed up for the bridesmaid dress picking out at Jessa's. A red sweater & pearls. Another FU internet moment. 

Benessa -I'm so tired of hearing how you are handling two children.  Try asking full-time working outside the home parent(s) how they juggle things & you'll see how easy you have it. (I'm not knocking stay at home parents, just these two.)

Spurge just cracks me up.  Last week with the duck & this week hiding the beans & then yelling "Ewww."  Izzy was cute too.  I'm beginning to think the little kids should have their own show.

Hell, YEAH to The Spurgie Show!

• Love 5

Joy had her spunkiness back for the house renovation. She had no problem telling Jed what they were planning for the house. She was fine with teasing Austin about the smashing of cake at the reception. I believe she's gotten the JB and Michelle talk about letting your headship make ALL the decisions.  Austin  however wants her to make the decisions herself that he doesn't care about. Hopefully after the wedding they actually got to talk. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Mollie said:

Love?  What does love have to do with any of these shenanigans?

Edited by flyingdi
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, starlightlost said:

I noticed that too. I really hope that's not how their relationship is going to be. Sad. He looked like he was trying really hard to not show his anger.

In Austin's defense, Joy can't make a decision on whether to blow her nose or not and I would have out right snapped 12 seconds in. 

Speaking of barely concealed anger, Derick really snapped at Jill too during their talking head. I can't for the life of me remember what she said or how he put it, but he basically told her not to talk. It made me notice and actually look up. It was the first real flash of anger I've seen on this show. 

• Love 8

I had a little different reaction than most of you.  I thought Joy really did not care about her wedding and it's hard to make decisions about something that is important to many other people but not yourself.  I doubt she has trouble deciding what to do when it comes to demolition, etc....it's where she seems comfortable.

I hope we see what they do with the house.

I do not understand the young couples who are imposing stringent courtship rules upon themselves but I won't mock them.  If that's what they want, hey go for it.  We all make our own rules.

Jess and Ben really adore their kids.

I thought Josie looked good.

• Love 3

I  usually enjoy Jinger and Jeremy but it bothered me that he didnt seem concerned/he didn't apologize for letting his boiling hot coffee ( so hot that he took the lid off) spill over his wife on their way to an outing. 

It's ok to laugh and joke about after but he could have hurt her or at the very least ruined her outfit. Not just laugh laugh laugh the whole time. At least ask if she is ok!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

Jeremy was such a dick in that scene. He knew full well that the coffee would spill. 

7 minutes ago, yogi2014L said:

I  usually enjoy Jinger and Jeremy but it bothered me that he didnt seem concerned/he didn't apologize for letting his boiling hot coffee ( so hot that he took the lid off) spill over his wife on their way to an outing. 

It's ok to laugh and joke about after but he could have hurt her or at the very least ruined her outfit. Not just laugh laugh laugh the whole time. At least ask if she is ok!

I wonder who Jinger was more angry at after the coffee spilled--Jeremy for being wrong or herself for not listening to herself. He said the coffee was "lava" and minutes later they took a chance on it spilling. I wonder how that scene would have played out if no cameras were there.

• Love 2

She's lucky that she was wearing a print and that she has toothpick legs. That accident would have taken me out, preferring solid pants covering pear body thighs. Even in jeans, I would have looked like I had an umm.. unfortunate accident of the bowels.

• Love 3

Why didn't Joy and Austin just have a quiet, simple wedding at home with just family?  They both clearly are not interested in the wedding planning at all.  Joy especially.  It was painful to watch the cake scenes.

And why the rush?  That house is a disaster.  This reminds me of one of those home reno shows where they have to have the work done by a certain day.  Drama!

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, SuzyLee said:

Most of us are also able to exercise a little bit of self-control and *gasp* dare to hold hands in the grocery store without disrobing and falling to the floor in a sweaty heap in the cereal aisle. 

All these utterly ridiculous rules to prevent premarital kissing and pre-engagement hand holding in addition to having a child chaperone with them at all times? The Duggars are a misogynistic, sex cult.

• Love 11

As much as Jessa complained about having two kids, I really enjoyed watching their family interaction.  That they are dividing and conquering the childcare, at least in the evenings, was nice to see.  Jessa seems to understand that Ben is a very good father and fairly progressive in that world.  Watching him wrestle and rough-house with Spurge was adorable - Ben is such a natural with kids.  You could tell they were both loving it, and Jessa was getting such a kick out of watching it all happen.  She seems so much more happily married now than she did a year or so ago.  Seeing Ben as a competent father and partner is doing wonders for her respect for him, I think. I'm still shocked that those two are coming out miles ahead of the rest of them in the parenting game.

I'm definitely in the minority and will likely come to regret this, but Austin doesn't bother me at all.  When Joy corrected him about the timeline, I thought he looked more like "oh SHIT...shiiiiiiiit...she's right!" And you could see the wheels turning as he mentally recalculated what could get done in that time.  They are two kids playing house, but they seem to really enjoy each other.  Maybe I'm seeing something that's not there, but Joy seems just as wound up and horndoggy as Jinger was - she's just less verbal about it.  

I admit it - I'm enjoying this season with all the new babies, courtships, etc.  While some storylines are more annoying than others, it's such a refreshing change from watching the Duggar girls pack for yet another vacation, or being told how many diapers, paper plates, pickles etc., they will consume in a lifetime.

• Love 12
14 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

Why didn't Joy and Austin just have a quiet, simple wedding at home with just family?  They both clearly are not interested in the wedding planning at all.  Joy especially.  It was painful to watch the cake scenes.

And why the rush?  That house is a disaster.  This reminds me of one of those home reno shows where they have to have the work done by a certain day.  Drama!

yeah, I'm thinking she wouldve been happy to get married ina  sundress in the backyard with a bouquest of daisies and a barbeque lunch with cupcakes. For like, 50 people. The end.

• Love 16
20 minutes ago, MamaMax said:

yeah, I'm thinking she wouldve been happy to get married ina  sundress in the backyard with a bouquest of daisies and a barbeque lunch with cupcakes. For like, 50 people. The end.

That's pretty much what I did. Except we had a picnic and Italian creampuffs rather than cake. The end. ?

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 12
13 hours ago, TVwithTea said:

Worked on the Counting On Drinking Game while watching this week's ep.

Drink (or do whatever it is you do) whenever:
1. Anyone references the act of sexual intercourse in any way.
2. Jill mentions she's worried.
3. Michelle says the word "grandbabies".
4. Anyone asks JinJer when they're having kids.
5. Side hugging is mentioned or executed.
6. Jana says “ya know”. (thanks to @drafan for suggesting)
7. Anyone describes something ordinary as “amazing” and/or “awesome”.
8. Hand sex is sighted.
9. Anyone makes a lame or corny joke AND someone sympathy laughs OR they laugh at their own joke.
10. Jeremy seems to forget he’s a pastor.
11. Ben appears stoned.
12. Anyone gives dating, marriage, or parenting advice.

I didn't actually count the exact number of drinks (or whatevers) this episode but I estimate it'd be around 40-50. If the rules are to drink once per ep, per rule, this ep had 9/12.

Also, I thought Jeremy whispering about the taco just so he could have more was very unpreacherly being that gluttony and bearing false witness are considered deadly sins in his religion. Maybe I'm being too hard on him?

My questions of the week are:
If Joy were pregnant, would she be doing demolition?
Does any of Pastor Vuolo's flock watch the show?

Lastly, no LOLs this week :( but Michelle was somewhat bearable (believable) and it was sweet when Henry fell asleep in her arms during the cake tasting. 

If I could add to the drinking game, it would be:

Every time Jill says "Yaaaaaaayyyyyyy!" to Izzy.

• Love 8

I really have to cut Joy some slack.  She was never a girly girl, and I can understand why the idea of choosing dresses and tasting cakes is so difficult for her - because she just doesn't care.  But because it has been drilled into her that her entire purpose in life is to marry and have kids is the be-all and end-all of her existence, she has to pretend to care.  I think she'd be just as happy to wear something off the rack, have one attendant, and get married in city hall.  But unfortunately, she's not allowed to do that.  To a large extent, I think she has the right attitude.  It shouldn't have to be about all the details.  It's about the ceremony between the bride and groom, and then the marriage itself.

Also, I think the expression on Austin's face when she pointed out they had 2.5 to 3 weeks to spend on the house was an "oh s@#$!" expression, and not a "don't correct me" expression.

• Love 15

But that was a lie. They didn't return to Arkansas for about another month after the wedding. Yes, it was a crack house, and viewers weren't shown the worst, but 8 Duggar brothers and hired help probably had that shack ready by the time they got back from Israel.

• Love 3

I haven't seen this show (or any other aside from a clip here and there) as we don't have cable, it's not on Hulu, TLC seems to require a cable provider to log in through (unless they have changed that...I tried once a while back and never could figure out how to get in), and You Tube is not only always a couple of weeks delayed, but has a weird format and, I read somewhere that they have stopped showing it entirely...but I am intrigued by the descriptions of all the side-hug rules and agonizing over the consequences of brief, unintended hand/arm contact. Why in the world would they plan that sort of date in the first place if it might lead to such scandalous possibilities? Wait a few more weeks to learn rollerblading or whatever when you don't have to worry about having to decide whether a touch or a fall will do more damage?

As for Joy looking grumpy, I do have to wonder, going through the same thing with my daughter in roughly the same time period, whether Joy might have been experiencing some morning sickness (or, as in my daughter's case, no actual vomiting, but a couple of months worth of feeling constantly queasy and grumpy) which has now passed. Given that she is easily looking a good 5 months pregnant now, the wedding might have fallen during the worst of it (and partially explained the pre-wedding weight loss), and she'd have had the time since then to get back on the "eating for two" track and filled back out afterwards.

• Love 3

Joy got stuck with a wedding for 1000 guests that will be televised.  She was cranky and irritable with everyone during wedding planning. She didn't want any of it.  Austin was trying to make the best of it. Maybe that is why the vibe was so off with those two. 

You're right.  She did perk up during the renovation talk. 

• Love 12

Well when will we see the renovation of the crack house that Joyless and her guy bought? They probably had to knock it down to the slab and rebuild it, from the looks of it, yuck. Oh yes I can see Joy loving living in a camper next to the house. Fun.

I guess Giggle's parents would be fine with her falling and breaking an arm or a head since I'm sure they have insurance.

These people are idiots.

• Love 3

Joy just doesn't have the bride gene. I bought my dress alone, and let my parents handle everything else. I couldn't care about anything else but being married. But this gang needs to put on the big show for Michelle and Douche. At least Joy has a man who makes a living without Jim Bob.

I really hate Derrick and Jill. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

This show is finally starting to wear me down.  I've written enough about this bunch of doofi over the years to fill a Bible or three, so I'll keep this short(ish) and (not so) sweet.  I used to be able to withstand the Duggar stupidity, but this week's display of dumbassery had me against the ropes.  Their idiotically specific courtship rules, particularly the ones that go into such excruciating detail about the length of time that side hugs are permitted, rob me of brain cells.  I couldn't believe my ears when Joseph's gigglebox girlfriend earnestly explained that they've allowed themselves two three-second side hugs per day.  She didn't even feel free to grasp his arm to prevent herself from falling while rollerblading!  These tremendously oppressive rules reduce men to little more than ogres with big, swinging dicks in search of a vagina.  I know that's graphic, but that's what it feels like to me.  They act as if they'll fall all over each other and start humping then and there if they dare to have any kind of bodily contact for more than a couple of seconds.  What's more, anyone who engages in regular hugging, platonic or otherwise, is bad and risking their chastity.  It's insulting to me as a woman.  For people who claim to be so chaste and pure, they sure do lay the sexual innuendo on thick.  Every time they mention the short time between engagement  and the wedding date, they practically elbow each other in the ribs and wiggle their eyebrows suggestively.  Yes, we know you want to have sex.  We get it.  Most of the rest of us do, too, but we don't feel the need to talk about it every 10 minutes and base an entire way of being around it.  Most of us are also able to exercise a little bit of self-control and *gasp* dare to hold hands in the grocery store without disrobing and falling to the floor in a sweaty heap in the cereal aisle. 

Yes, let's stop to contemplate this for a moment:  couldn't Kendra theoretically trip and fall anywhere?  And if she does, he's supposed to stare at her and just watch like a numb dummy, as she falls and potentially hurts herself?

I remember a few months ago that we were tangentially discussing if Gothardites taught or worried about manners and civility.

I think we've just found our answer.  Better she break a limb or cut a huge gash in her chin or similar, than - gasp - be touched by a man not her husband.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, debbie311 said:

Boob has an agreement with his kids to pimp them out for TLC weddings.  The spouses-to-be must sign off on it, too.  The 1,000 or so guests must be invited for maximum giftage.  Of course, the guests get a mid-afternoon snack in return, if that.  Those leghumpers are so blessed to witness these events ;)  The rest of us should be so (un)lucky.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Boob has an agreement with his kids to pimp them out for TLC weddings.  The spouses-to-be must sign off on it, too.  The 1,000 or so guests must be invited for maximum giftage.  Of course, the guests get a mid-afternoon snack in return, if that.  Those leghumpers are so blessed to witness these events ;)  The rest of us should be so (un)lucky.

Thank you.  I can't stand watching these obnoxious destination weddings where they cram as many people into the church as the fire codes will allow, collect their gifts, then have the audacity to feed them a goddamn fistful of popcorn and a scoop of ice cream in a standing room only field or parking lot with no seating.  It's the absolute height of arrogance, thoughtlessness, and greed.  Christians, my fat ass.  

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 12

Innocent children aside, I honestly don't like any of them. Ben and Jessa seem phoney and I'm not buying that they're great parents just because TLC edits together a few minutes of fun times. Lots of people, my own family included, are abusive in private but when there is company or a camera around, it's a whole different story. Once the crew is gone, I'm sure Ben's not playing with Spurg more than a few minutes and their reaction to his screaming is much different than what we're led to believe it is. Derick putting his entire family's health in danger (America) for no good, vital, pressing, life-or-death reason is, imo, a sign of mental illness/brainwashing. Joy is obviously (and temporarily) still a child imo and too young to enter into a lifelong commitment and Austin, Jeremy, and Jinger are nothing more than average horny kidults happy to cash their TLC checks and be adored by their fans. There's not one ounce of humility in the entire sanctimonious bunch and I await the day one of them flips off the family publicly and leaves for good (like I did to my fundie family) and/or they keep exposing that they're nothing but money-hungry, sex-obsessed phonies to the world. Because they're humans and there is good in everyone, I hope for them to all change their ways but in lieu of that, the best thing for all concerned is for them and all people like them to continue to expose their hypocrisy to the world so this kind of abuse ends while we hope one of the 19 breaks free and the rest follow before more damage is done to innocent children.

• Love 20

I can't come down hard on Kendra and her silly 3-second side-hug rules.  She is just a kid who has been heavily brainwashed all her life.  She is trying sooo hard to be the perfect fiance and now TV wife.  She and Joe are really making an effort to help with the family business.  Unfortunately neither have what it takes to be a TV personality.  I think Joe will be a good husband and they will manage to have a happy life.  Have we figured out if they got the pool house?  Boob probably has to bribe his boys to join the wedding parade so maybe they will all get the best houses.  I did notice that Jill and Dreck have a much inferior kitchen these days.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, TVwithTea said:

Worked on the Counting On Drinking Game while watching this week's ep.

10. Jeremy seems to forget he’s a pastor.

I'm wondering if Jeremy's flock even know they have a pastor named Jeremy?  He never seems to be there to attend to them.  Maybe he's so delusional that he thinks his rants on the internet are done in front of a congregation of worshipers. 

• Love 9

I agree with @TVwithTea about Jessa, Ben and the kids appearing fake. As a mother myself, the last thing I would do before bedtime is rile my kids up. 

For a half a second I thought they were going to have Jana try on Jill's bridesmaid dress. 

This episode reminded me how hideous Jessa's bridesmaids' dresses were.

The doctor who treats himself has a fool for a patient - yes, you, Dr Jill.

Open coffee in moving car - laws of physics and basic common sense.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, queenanne said:

Yes, let's stop to contemplate this for a moment:  couldn't Kendra theoretically trip and fall anywhere?  And if she does, he's supposed to stare at her and just watch like a numb dummy, as she falls and potentially hurts herself?

I'm just watching the episode now and it looks like she grabs James (or Jason or whoever that chaperone is) more than once, and that James steadies her back and arm a few times. So it's okay to touch some younger kid brother, but not the guy she's courting?? Since they're so hung up on all this stuff, it seems that they should have another female along too, rather than Kendra with 3 males (gasp!). 

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

I'm just watching the episode now and it looks like she grabs James (or Jason or whoever that chaperone is) more than once, and that James steadies her back and arm a few times. So it's okay to touch some younger kid brother, but not the guy she's courting?? Since they're so hung up on all this stuff, it seems that they should have another female along too, rather than Kendra with 3 males (gasp!). 

I think that James is young enough where he isn't considered a "man" for the purposes of modesty/physical contact rules.

Yes I would think that 1 female/1 male chaperone would be ideal.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

This episode reminded me how hideous Jessa's bridesmaids' dresses were.

I actually felt a little sorry for Jessa when they were reminiscing about the dresses and they cut to her hideous pink things. And then they asked about her cake, and she said they didn't have one because they "wanted" ice cream instead. Cut to her melting, drippy ice cream mess. She really got the shaft. 

• Love 4

Joy and Austin will not last.  She annoys the shit out of him. (And me).

Jinger looked so pretty with the red bandana on. 

Letting your bridal party pick the style of dress (and you just pick the color) is such a nice thing to do. So Go Joy!  For once, but probably never again ?.

"I'm going to Kentucky to go wedding dress shopping." //said no one ever//

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, debbie311 said:

Because they need pre-wedding planning, wedding venue preparation, and wedding day ceremony drama for the tee-vee. It doesn't matter what the bride and groom want. In return, they get an expensive, amazing honeymoon.

Looks like other posters beat me to it! Great minds......

Edited by Love2dance
I posted before I read all the messages.
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Joe and Kendra.  Every pot has a lid I guess.  Joe may be nice but so awkward.  I think he is purposing to hide his boner.  Their rules were making me wonder if I had stumbled onto SNL.

A side hug a day keeps the boners away.

(I know it's actually 2 side hugs - or 3 for ''special occasions'' LOL, but I wanted to keep it similar to the original saying.)

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think that James is young enough where he isn't considered a "man" for the purposes of modesty/physical contact rules.

Yes I would think that 1 female/1 male chaperone would be ideal.

No idea why these people appear so stunted but if that was James (I only recognize the older ones), he's 16 and Jackson is 13; I would've guessed they were 13 and 10.

16 is old enough that you can grab your brother's girl's arm or put your hand near her back to steady her, and then you realize you feel uncomfortable hot and blood has rushed down below and the package suddenly feels bigger and tighter. Frankly at 16 it can happen just by looking at a girl. I'm shocked boys of this age group are allowed to chaperone -- do JB and Michelle not realize that 16 yr old boys have this "issue?"

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Maya said:

I actually felt a little sorry for Jessa when they were reminiscing about the dresses and they cut to her hideous pink things. And then they asked about her cake, and she said they didn't have one because they "wanted" ice cream instead. Cut to her melting, drippy ice cream mess. She really got the shaft. 

Jessa was the one who picked the dresses and opted for ice cream instead of a cake. I think Jessa purposely picked drab dresses for the bridesmaids. Of all the sisters Jessa would be the last one to let anyone dictate her wedding details.

• Love 11
19 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I loved Jessa in that scene. She just had this demeanor like "I don't want to be here all day watching this slack-jawed moron deliberate over $30 bridesmaid dresses, so I'm gonna have to plan this damn wedding myself."

I wonder if this comes down to the buddy/age connection?  Jessa seems lost without Jinger  because of how close they are in age and the two are definitely close.  But Joy is having Jill as matron-of-honor because they were buddies.  Does that make Jessa less close to Joy (and the reverse) and does that maybe also explain Joys submissiveness to Austin and how she seems to have lost some of the spark she had?  Being buddies with the house snitch who seems to be the most toe-the-line of the adult daughters must have rubbed off on Joy somewhat. 

8 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

"I'm going to Kentucky to go wedding dress shopping." //said no one ever//

I forgot about this until I saw your post.............They could go to a "big name" store for the publicity but rumor is they're banned from Kleinfeld after MeChelle got her renewal dress there - supposedly because she and JB were difficult to deal with and they didn't control the howlers (big surprise) who ran around the store disrupting the other shoppers.  If the rumors are true it's no wonder no other fancy stores want to be invaded by them or their show.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Yeah, the eyebrow wiggling and hey hey hey are gross. And isn't thinking about a "sin" just as bad as actually doing it, to these fools? How do they justify THAT?

Pro Tip: Never try to make sense of any of these people's ''logic''.

(Joking aside - I agree with you.)

• Love 3
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Not so much ideal, more like misery loves company.

Ha! Very true. 

11 hours ago, cereality said:

No idea why these people appear so stunted but if that was James (I only recognize the older ones), he's 16 and Jackson is 13; I would've guessed they were 13 and 10.

16 is old enough that you can grab your brother's girl's arm or put your hand near her back to steady her, and then you realize you feel uncomfortable hot and blood has rushed down below and the package suddenly feels bigger and tighter. Frankly at 16 it can happen just by looking at a girl. I'm shocked boys of this age group are allowed to chaperone -- do JB and Michelle not realize that 16 yr old boys have this "issue?"

Who knows? JB says he was a late bloomer (hit his growth spirt at 17), and some of the Duggar boys have followed suit. Also with how sheltered they are they will appear more immature. 

But I'm not going to "judge" a child's maturity on how they look. People hit puberty at different times, and if you're a girl who starts puberty earlier you're sexualized earlier and deemed to be "fast" due to no fault of your own, if you're a boy who's a late bloomer people treat you like a little kid. 

I think we are asking JB and Michelle to make too much sense. Haha. 

• Love 4

Did you catch Jill being a tiny bit snarky and trying to be funny about the JoKen physical courtship rules and what would happen if Jill had fallen at rollerblading. 

Derick said he would grab her hand and slowly help her up so he could hold her hand longer. 

Jill attempted to be normal and said "maybe even hold two hands!"  with a little tone and grin. 

First time I've ever heard Jill attempt some actual adult humor and not giggle.  baby steps....

• Love 8