Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Let Them Eat Cake

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

Wait- don't Jessa and Ben own their house? I think Jinger and Jeremy bought their house in May. 

Jason looked off in this first TH. 

Seriously, they had to have  parental permission to touch each others arm while she's learning to rollerblade?  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 8

2 side hugs per day and in special occasions. And the moral dilemma of whether she should grab his arm to keep from falling. Just...wow.

Joy and Austin wanting to renovate that house in a month? HA! But the Austin added they would focus on the kitchen and master bedroom first. Priorities, right? Maybe they should have started with the nursery.

Edited by Katydid
  • Love 18
19 minutes ago, auntieminem said:

They are limiting to two side hugs a day.  Really?

Ha, Joy said she would be the first married sister to have her own house.  What about Jinger?  Maybe they were still in the apartment and Joy was not counting that.

Austin would have bought the house in April if his story is true, and FWIW, it's only in HIS name (I looked it up a few days ago after seeing the previews of "we bought this house"). JinJer didn't buy their house until the end of June. So Joy is telling a half truth; she was the first one to live in a house PURCHASED by a Duggar spouse and not gifted to them by Daddy. Mary also transferred ownership of the Mold House to Benessa at the end of June, so it's about a tie between them and JinJer for second. 

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

Austin is an ass. Joy talks like she hasn't had anything above a 5th grade education..oh wait

And why is her jaw suddenly out of line with an underbite? Does she think it's cute?

OK, preview time: Why do they have to sob every time a sister gets close to her wedding date. They don't go anywhere.

New drinking game (and it's a fast-moving one)....  A swig of something every time Jana says "Ya know". And be warned that you can drown while gulping water quickly.

Mullet holds onto a grandbaby (tm Mullet) hoping the kid will do something so she can comment and/or get attention.

Aaaannnnd......Jackson photobombs the fake bridesmaids -dresses-arriving scene.

The only Ds I can stomach are Izzy and Henry.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, drafan said:

And why is her jaw suddenly out of line with an underbite? Does she think it's cute?

OK, preview time: Why do they have to sob every time a sister gets close to her wedding date. They don't go anywhere.

New drinking game (and it's a fast-moving one)....  A swig of something every time Jana says "Ya know". And be warned that you can drown while gulping water quickly.

Mullet holds onto a grandbaby (tm Mullet) hoping the kid will do something so she can comment and/or get attention.

Aaaannnnd......Jackson photobombs the fake bridesmaids -dresses-arriving scene.

The only Ds I can stomach are Izzy and Henry.

Jackson HA!! All I could think of was "He's near the dresses with greasy pizza"

• Love 3

Jinger and Jeremy continue to seem like a normal couple. The coffee spilling in the car seemed like something that would happen to my boyfriend and I. Jinger truly seemed to laugh it off. She didn't seem like she was just "keeping sweet." 

I don't mind Joy when she's working along side Austin. At least she's being productive. 

Ben and Spurge wrestling was adorable. 

• Love 9

I think Joy would've been completely happy getting married in her parent's living room with her family and Austin's as the only guests.  She doesn't care about her dress, decorations, bridesmaid dresses let alone what the groomsmen wear.  The only time she seemed happy was at the dump of a house with Austin.  She's said more than once they don't want to hang around at the wedding and socialize.  I see her and Austin and being the most like her parents. 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Maya said:

That cake tasting was painful. Just make a decision, ANY decision. 

THIS. The whole episode I just wanted Joy to freaking have an opinion about anything. At all. Take your pick. Did she deliberately dumb herself down in order to get married? Does she have to speak in a soft baby whisper of indecisiveness? Wasn't she spunkier growing up? Have an opinion on something, Joy. It's fun! It's empower...oh, wait.

• Love 16

Joseph wants to make sure everyone knows he has a girlfriend.  He said it more than once.  Is that the first time "boyfriend/girlfriend" has been used to describe the person they're courting.  I don't remember hearing it before.

When Joy corrected Austin by saying they have three weeks to work on the house, not four, he had a look on his face like, "Don't correct me, woman."  I hope I misinterpreted that.

Kendra's laugh is still annoying.  I can't imagine going through a lifetime hearing that.

• Love 12

Joe has a rapid eye twitching and blinking tic. I wonder if it's always been there and they hid it. 

Surprised to see how tall Jed is. And that he and the Jason I never knew existed could be the twins. Jer is a cute kid, looks little like the others, and seems well built. Countdown to the weird Stepford transition that makes all the males into fugs.

Jeremy is the only actual man (and adult) of this group. Everyone else is so damned creepy and childish. 

• Love 11

I know! I was yelling at my television for them to pick a freaking flavor of cake. All I wanted was Joy to make a decision about anything. Listening to Joy and Austin is like one of those phone conversations where the couple goes back and forth with the "you hang up/No you hang up" trope.

Also, why do I care about Joy and Austin wedding planning when the wedding already aired?

Kendra has a nervous laugh. It does not bother me, because I have a friend who is the same way. I guess I am used to it.

Uh...Spurge was cute. That is really all I got.

• Love 12

I think Austin was contemplating strangling Joy during that cake scene.  There were some moments when I think he just wanted her to make a decision without pretending not to know if she liked how something looked or tasted.  I think JOSIE wanted her to make up her freaking mind. 

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Jinger used the phrase "law of physics."  I never would have thought she had heard of that.  I'm impressed.

I was just thinking about the episode title and if they know where that comes from ?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Austin would have bought the house in April if his story is true, and FWIW, it's only in HIS name (I looked it up a few days ago after seeing the previews of "we bought this house"). JinJer didn't buy their house until the end of June. So Joy is telling a half truth; she was the first one to live in a house PURCHASED by a Duggar spouse and not gifted to them by Daddy. Mary also transferred ownership of the Mold House to Benessa at the end of June, so it's about a tie between them and JinJer for second. 

Does that mean Bin and Jessa now pay utilities and property taxes?

• Love 2

Joy is totally dumbing herself down so Austin can be the headship. She was spunkier than that growing up and even 1-2 seasons ago. Ok so you don't care about dresses and shopping - I get that and I'm similar. But cake? Is it sooo hard to have an opinion on food without playing 20 questions (or 100 questions)? I mean at one point Austin says - do you like the lemon? And she says "it's whatever." Um - he won't leave if you you say you don't like lemon cake, just like you didn't leave when he said 4 min ago that he doesn't like red velvet!! I assume they went with vanilla cake with vanilla frosting bc Austin had to make the final call and Joy refused to give him any opinions to work with. So instead of picking an actual flavor and then hearing from her 2 yrs later that she thought their cake was gross, he went as flavorless as possible . . . .

• Love 15

Let's see. Say something nice. Spurgeon and Izzy are absolutely precious. Kendra is very nervous on camera but she seems like a sweet girl. I like her and Joe together and I also like Jeremy with Jinger. They're the only two couples in the bunch that seem to truly enjoy each other and have a good time.

Austin and Joy? Jesus take the wheel. Austin leads her around like she's his mentally challenged daughter. I want to like Austin, but I just don't. I see more and more of his creepy, controlling father coming out the longer he's on camera. 

James is.....interesting. 

• Love 13
37 minutes ago, asuwur said:

Joy: "My least favorite part of wedding planning is <insert what she actually means>...planning for the wedding."

The insert was "details." Literally. 

God, she's dumb and whipped. Austin's going to run all over that. The more I hear from him, the less I like him. Not that I liked him much to begin with, other than the work ethic. 

And nice to not mention that they had an extra 6 weeks to get the house fixed up whilst the couple traipsed through Switzerland and Israel. 

Ben doing "lawncare and maintenance" during Benessa's first year of marriage? Jessa helped Ben put gas in the lawnmower so he could take care of the back 40? Riiiiight. Who the hell knows what the euphemism "maintenance" means. He surely can't build shit, so he must have a hand in demolition and cleanup of Duggar flips. I can't imagine them trusting him with a hammer. Watching the Gainses "renovate" in one episode is nothing like watching This Old House go through the process. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 8

Worked on the Counting On Drinking Game while watching this week's ep.

Drink (or do whatever it is you do) whenever:
1. Anyone references the act of sexual intercourse in any way.
2. Jill mentions she's worried.
3. Michelle says the word "grandbabies".
4. Anyone asks JinJer when they're having kids.
5. Side hugging is mentioned or executed.
6. Jana says “ya know”. (thanks to @drafan for suggesting)
7. Anyone describes something ordinary as “amazing” and/or “awesome”.
8. Hand sex is sighted.
9. Anyone makes a lame or corny joke AND someone sympathy laughs OR they laugh at their own joke.
10. Jeremy seems to forget he’s a pastor.
11. Ben appears stoned.
12. Anyone gives dating, marriage, or parenting advice.

I didn't actually count the exact number of drinks (or whatevers) this episode but I estimate it'd be around 40-50. If the rules are to drink once per ep, per rule, this ep had 9/12.

Also, I thought Jeremy whispering about the taco just so he could have more was very unpreacherly being that gluttony and bearing false witness are considered deadly sins in his religion. Maybe I'm being too hard on him?

My questions of the week are:
If Joy were pregnant, would she be doing demolition?
Does any of Pastor Vuolo's flock watch the show?

Lastly, no LOLs this week :( but Michelle was somewhat bearable (believable) and it was sweet when Henry fell asleep in her arms during the cake tasting. 

Edited by TVwithTea
More questions!
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, TVwithTea said:

8. Hand sex is sighted.
9. Anyone makes a lame or corny joke AND someone sympathy laughs OR they laugh at their own joke.
10. Jeremey seems to forget he’s a pastor.
11. Ben appears stoned.

I didn't actually count the exact number of drinks (or whatevers) this episode but I estimate it'd be around 40-50. If the rules are to drink once per ep, per rule, this ep had 9/12.

Also, I thought Jeremey whispering about the taco just so he could have more was very unpreacherly being that gluttony and bearing false witness are considered deadly sins in his religion. Maybe I'm being too hard on him?

My questions of the week are:
If Joy were pregnant, would she be doing demolition?
Does any of Pastor Vuolo's flock watch the show?

Lastly, no LOLs this week :( but Michelle was somewhat bearable (believable) and it was sweet when Henry fell asleep in her arms during the cake tasting. 

Well seeing that Joy was pregnant and rode a dirt bike while wearing a dress....

• Love 6

It was obvious to me that Joy was the least enthusiastic bride to be that I have ever seen. She didn't give a crap about anything having to do with her wedding. I don't get it with her. She said she was so anxious to 'just be married already', but didn't care about anything that would lead up to it. I found it interesting that Austin told Joy the wedding cake was HER CAKE....she corrected him that it was "THEIR CAKE'. These two don't add up to me at all.

• Love 6

I'm sorry, but Kendra came across as a stupid idiot with those rollerblade-touching Joe-rules. What is wrong with those people? We HAD to know that the Caldwell modesty standards are just like the Duggar modesty rules? We already assumed that, Kendra. They both are way too young, emotionally, to marry anyone at all. Both of them needed a 'first date' and a couple of relationships before settling down with anyone. Kendra is more like a 12 year old. Her parent have some nerve imposing those stupid rules on her, considering the speculation about their own 'dating life'. This couple was more concerned about those stupid touching rules rather than actually trying to get to know each other before marrying.

• Love 13

Jaysus, I thought Joystyn delegated everything to Cindy. That wedding cake shopping was super boring. And next week's wedding dress shopping: "I dunno. I dunno. I dunno"

Jeremy, you are really working my last nerve.

Anyone notice that John-David got fat guy tuba music? 

Ben and Jessa's seem like good parents. 

Jackson wearing a dirt bike helmet for rollerblading. That's so Jackson. This show needs more Jackson. 

And what the hell was up with Kendra having had a discussion with her father over the hypothetical impropriety that might occur if Joe grabbed her hand to prevent her falling over while rollerblading?!

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 16
11 hours ago, Annb67 said:

So they had to make sure TO KEEP FROM FALLING she could grab Joe's arm but not his hand and he couldn't grab her around the waist IF SHE WERE FALLING. Stupid idiots. All of them. I just can't. 

And she had to consult her Mommy over whether that would be appropriate or not?  A "courting" (in the real world dating) women, over the age of 16 who can not figure out if it's OK for her boyfriend/suitor/whatever they call him to grab her arm or hand or even waist when the alternative is she falls and breaks something?  Is this a parenting fail or a modesty fail or is she just that sheltered and dumb - or do we go with door #3 and say all of the above.

The funny thing is I don't think Kendra is that bad, giggles aside she seems nice but she seems nice in a childish way like she's still a kid playing at being an adult.  A lot of the girls seems like that and I blame it on their upbringing, emotionally she's a 14 year old with her first crush.

Spurg continues to be the best part of the show - Loved the veggies in the pocket trick (bonus points if those had made it all the way into the washing machine)

6 hours ago, TVwithTea said:

8. Hand sex is sighted.
11. Ben appears stoned.

Can I add #13:  Anytime someone mentions how fast an event happened in the past or is happening in the future and someone else answers with the insightful "Crazy"

• Love 12

I thought Joy was only semi intelligent, but she's turned herself into a one-woman reality show personality.

She has the courting/wedding planning/marriage/fixer upper home and baby baby on her past or current agenda.

OMG, I've only watched the first ten minutes and I've heard the word "chaperone" more here than in my entire life.

• Love 6

A wrist blood pressure monitor, really Jill? Those things suck.

Without the preachy, churchy background, and the intonation that goes with it I think I'd really like Jeremy. He amuses me. The coffee thing in the car was pretty funny and props to Jinger for taking it in stride.

Ben also seems like someone I'd like. I think he's growing up pretty well and getting used to being a husband and a dad. I hate when guys peace out of parenting because it's not manly or something, so to see Ben making a priority of getting down on the glue to play with Spurge was a plus.

Joy has lost any sort of personality. But Austin seems to be focused on one thing ... everything he said felt like it was tinged with a side of innuendo.

We get it, bro. A little less than four weeks and you'll get to bang her. Maybe Austin will be less cringey to me after he gets some.

Iz and Spurge are adorable. 

• Love 7

Joy really slimmed down for her wedding.  I'm sure she has been eating very well since, with the baby and all.

Those Duggar boys are so not good looking!  Whatever happened, the girls are so cute!  I'm curious to see what happens with James if he ever starts growing.

I've thought for a long time that Jackson has ADHD.  I think his parents have trouble tolerating him and I hope he grows up tall and handsome and dumps the whole bunch!

Maybe the Bates family comes from the same cult, but they sure know how to raise kids who are better prepared to live in the real world. And they know how to have fun without obsessing over rules every minute.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

When Joy corrected Austin by saying they have three weeks to work on the house, not four, he had a look on his face like, "Don't correct me, woman."  I hope I misinterpreted that.

I noticed that too. I really hope that's not how their relationship is going to be. Sad. He looked like he was trying really hard to not show his anger.

• Love 6

You Duggars are getting on my last nerve!  First, you suck the life out of my spunky little Joy, then you suck the life out of my sarcastic little James!  What's next?  Are you going to try sucking the life out of exuberant little Jackson?  Well, good luck with that one.  I think you're in for a challenge there.

• Love 14
45 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

thought for a long time that Jackson has ADHD.  I think his parents have trouble tolerating him and I hope he grows up tall and handsome and dumps the whole bunch!

I don't think his parents remember that he exists. I think Jackson is the child they lost in the airport, and Jana comforted him. I'm trying to remember seeing any interaction between Jackson and his parents- ever. 

• Love 5

Kendra looked like a fool with the two second side hug rule.  I always suspected the Duggs knew the rules sounded silly to everyone else.  Kendra was so sincere! She is not a sharp girl. Pleasant but a little loopy. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Maya said:

Between the cake testing & how she should wear her hair at the wedding, it doesn't seem like these two can make any decision.  What a marriage this will be if each decision has to go back & forth 20 times.

Boy, MEchelle sure got dressed up for the bridesmaid dress picking out at Jessa's. A red sweater & pearls. Another FU internet moment. 

Benessa -I'm so tired of hearing how you are handling two children.  Try asking full-time working outside the home parent(s) how they juggle things & you'll see how easy you have it. (I'm not knocking stay at home parents, just these two.)

Spurge just cracks me up.  Last week with the duck & this week hiding the beans & then yelling "Ewww."  Izzy was cute too.  I'm beginning to think the little kids should have their own show.

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, TVwithTea said:

8. Hand sex is sighted.
11. Ben appears stoned.

Just call 911 at the start of the show to have the detox ambulance on standby. . .

• Love 7

As someone who grew up wearing skirts only and as an IFB adult,  I was surprised to see Kendra roller blade in that skirt.  Even my husband glanced up and was like "wrong skirt".  I was surprised it didn't rip. It would've livened things up a bit. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, riverblue22 said:

Maybe the Bates family comes from the same cult, but they sure know how to raise kids who are better prepared to live in the real world. And they know how to have fun without obsessing over rules every minute.

Gil and Kelly Bates both graduated from an accredited university before they married.  I think their education points to a measure of intelligence that Michelle and Jim Bob just don't have.  The Bates parents pass this on to their offspring by example and by genetics.  

While in college, Kelly won the 1984 SC NYSC Science Award; her favorite subjects were Biology, Chemistry, and Calculus.  Gil was a star athlete, winning the 1983 SC State Championship and was voted Most Outstanding Wrestler.  Michelle and Jim Bob married as teenagers and never went to college.  A college education doesn't necessarily make people better parents, but it certainly gives different experiences and indicates different values which do reflect on their parenting.   

• Love 14
55 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Kendra looked like a fool with the two second side hug rule.  I always suspected the Duggs knew the rules sounded silly to everyone else.  Kendra was so sincere! She is not a sharp girl. Pleasant but a little loopy. 

Now, now get it straight.  It's three-second side hugs two times per day.  Except on unusual occasions, you can throw in an extra 3 seconder, such as engagements, graduations - no scratch that, promotions at work, no not that.  Engagements.

• Love 14
11 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

I think Austin was contemplating strangling Joy during that cake scene.  There were some moments when I think he just wanted her to make a decision without pretending not to know if she liked how something looked or tasted.  I think JOSIE wanted her to make up her freaking mind. 

I finally watched both eps back to back last night since the headship wasn't home.  Couple of thoughts.  Josie seemed like maybe she has grown up a tad.  She seemed to have some manners at the cake tasting and perhaps is no longer quite as feral.  But maybe she was there as Michelle's keeper for the day and took her job seriously.  Either way, it was a pleasant surprise.  

I think Joy had all kinds of opinions about the cake but was not going to say it.  Defer to the headship Joy!  I could sort of relate to her as a bride though.  I had no real strong opinions about what I wanted (except the food).  The wedding was for my parents.  I would have rather eloped since I am not comfortable with attention and wasn't a gal who poured over Modern Bride or anything.  The only wedding I thought would have been cool is a Halloween costume party wedding.  I wanted my dress to be Glinda the Good Witch but my mom wasn't thrilled.  

Ben is a nice dad.  They need to move out of the mold house though so he can breathe once and for all.  I don't trust those Duggars were able to get all the mold out of it.  Jessa taking over the details for Joy was nice.  I am wondering why these people didn't pack for their trip once the babies were down for the night before the travel day.  They don't plan their days well.

Cooking class with Babe and Babe.  I thought that was sweet.  I am glad they are taking the time to get to know each other before becoming parents.  I was perplexed about the chorizo.  They used what looked like ground beef with a ton of spices.  Was that ground beef tacos with chorizo spices?  Anyway, it made me hungry.

Joe and Kendra.  Every pot has a lid I guess.  Joe may be nice but so awkward.  I think he is purposing to hide his boner.  Their rules were making me wonder if I had stumbled onto SNL.  

Austyn.  I think he has felt the touch of a woman before.  Maybe that woman was Joy, I don't know.  But he has a look about him when they are together that are NOTHING like all the other Duggar husbands/fiance's.  

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

I did like she Joy said something along the lines of,  "He's going to feed the cake to me and I'm gonna smash it in his face!". Not an exact quote but it was funny.

I thought it was childish.  Throughout that episode, Joy never appeared to be excited about getting married.  Her lack of enthusiasm even led Jessa to offer to plan her wedding for her.  She never once looked like she was in love with Austin.

• Love 5