Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: Battle For The South: Fresh Off The Farm

The remaining three food truck teams arrive at a peach farm in Athens, GA, where they meet Tyler Florence and Athens chef Mimi Maumus. In the first challenge, the teams make a savory dish using the provided ingredients and peaches. The winning team gets to shut down the other two trucks for one hour at any time during the sell. Then, Tyler throws them a curveball while shopping and asks them for a completely fresh menu. The team that with the lowest sales is sent home.

Edited by cooksdelight

I wonder what the totals were for the 2nd and 3rd place teams? Braised in the South had $2276 in sales and Tyler said that was good for Athens so the other two teams must have really been low totals. I wish they would have told us but I am thinking that they were so low that the Great Food Truck Race didn't want to mention how bad they were. Braised in the South seems to really have good food and word of mouth must help them a lot. They plan their menus and then just cook good food.

One thing I found a bit strange was that the University of Georgia Bulldogs were not even mentioned in the story of Athens! I know it was filmed in May and school was out but when they were in Tuscaloosa, University of Alabama was mentioned. They represented Athens as a little town with nothing happening...at least that was the way it seemed to me. 

I am looking forward to the Savannah segment because I think it is one of the prettiest towns I have visited. Now let's hope the food is good, too. Pulling for Braised in the South!!!!

• Love 4

He got a blowout. Instead of strategizing or thinking of ways to be more efficient or coming up with new sales tactics, he used that hour to get a blowout. A blowout that resulted in his hair looking exactly the same as it did before the blowout. What is it Millennials like to say? I can't even! I'm very grateful I won't have to listen to another talking head where he acts like he invented brunch.

• Love 12

I'm glad I don't have to look at Mikey's eyebrows jumping up and down anymore. He is why they lost, as he was the one always on the phone calling people. Yet his hair and personal comfort were more important. This is why the millennial stereotype exists.

Rooting for Braised In The South, they have made an amazing showing in the past three stops.

• Love 7

I was delighted to see Braised win and I hope they take the whole thing although I like the Po' Boys crew too.  

I ended up quite confused because I watched the food truck show that came on right after GFTR which was a clone of the original right down to the dialogue but with a "Tyler" I didn't recognize.  And there was Mr. Po' Boys, the same people but with more personality.  I couldn't figure out how one crew was on two food truck competitions at the same time.  I'm still wondering.

I'll be happy for either of the two remaining trucks.  Both make food I'd like to eat, although I have a real weakness for those Po Boys.  They look mouthwatering.

Thank you for all the comments above about Mr. Look At Me and his blowout.  I thought he'd never get off my lawn.

We must have some Georgians here who can tell us that Athens is a vibrant college town.  I was looking forward to seeing it, as this program used to showcase unique aspects of their destinations.  Not this year.  Athens looked dull as dishwater (so did the other venues), and I'm sure it's not.

• Love 2

Athens is a blast with tons of energy.  I could not believe how dead this episode made Athens look and they didn't utilize the UGA student scene whatsoever.  They didn't show how cool the downtown area is.  The atmosphere in last night's show was so generic and could have been filmed anywhere.  Totally missed opportunity, IMO.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I wonder what the totals were for the 2nd and 3rd place teams? Braised in the South had $2276 in sales and Tyler said that was good for Athens so the other two teams must have really been low totals. I wish they would have told us but I am thinking that they were so low that the Great Food Truck Race didn't want to mention how bad they were.

I think that's entirely possible. Last week Braised beat the combined total of three teams plus the $500 bonus Po Boys won.

5 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Athens is a blast with tons of energy.  I could not believe how dead this episode made Athens look and they didn't utilize the UGA student scene whatsoever.  They didn't show how cool the downtown area is.  The atmosphere in last night's show was so generic and could have been filmed anywhere.  Totally missed opportunity, IMO.

I wonder if there was some behind the scenes drama between FN and Athens/UGA. The show is usually good at permitting so trucks have pretty good latitude when it comes to parking. So it was kind of weird when Tyler said could only set up shop in business parking lots.

I like both the finalists. So glad Mikey is gone. 

• Love 3

I like both teams but prefer po' boys (the sandwich) over 'tatchos. 

Tyler pissed me off by only talking to Mikey (to be all dramatic for the camera). There are two other people on that team.

Yeah. I am glad Mikey is gone. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, mlp said:

I was delighted to see Braised win and I hope they take the whole thing although I like the Po' Boys crew too.  

I ended up quite confused because I watched the food truck show that came on right after GFTR which was a clone of the original right down to the dialogue but with a "Tyler" I didn't recognize.  And there was Mr. Po' Boys, the same people but with more personality.  I couldn't figure out how one crew was on two food truck competitions at the same time.  I'm still wondering.

Rally was aired in May as a Pilot for feedback/Ratings peek. It was filmed way before Race but also probably led to Po Boys getting a Race slot. LOVED them on Rally but theyve been low key on Race until last night when they had the banter about/during the lunch break. Why FN randomly reran the episode last night (as opposed to after the premiere or finale) is beyond me. Maybe they are seeing if a primetime showing gives it ratings worth picking up.

Edited by Skyfall
  • Love 1

Rally was aired in May as a Pilot for feedback/Ratings perk.

Thanks.  I don't know how I missed that.  I liked it OK and would watch if they make new episodes but I prefer Tyler's multi-episode show.

4 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Rally was aired in May as a Pilot for feedback/Ratings perk. It was filmed way before Race but also probably led to Po Boys getting a Race slot. LOVED them on Rally but theyve been low key on Race until last night when they had the banter about/during the lunch break. Why FN randomly reran the episode last night (as opposed to after the premiere or finale) is beyond me. Maybe they are seeing if a primetime showing gives it ratings worth picking up.

What if it somehow is spoiling that Mr Po'Boys will win in next week's finale..

9 hours ago, mlp said:

Thanks.  I don't know how I missed that.  I liked it OK and would watch if they make new episodes but I prefer Tyler's multi-episode show.

They never advertise them (yet want ratings and feedback...) and it was during a random weekend in the middle of the day. I think both can survive with Rally having a late winter/early spring window.

7 hours ago, TDT said:

What if it somehow is spoiling that Mr Po'Boys will win in next week's finale..

I love Po Boys (solely from the Rally appearance and the bit of that personally that has been shown in Race) and am rooting for them. However since they "won" a "food truck business" could be spoiling that Braised wins the 50k. With that said both finalists his season are the best two of the season so I'll be happy with either. As opposed to if Waffles had beaten Pho...

• Love 2

For the first time ever, Mickey bothered me and I was very happy to see him go. I can't believe the decision by Braised in the south, which I'm pulling for them since they're South Carolinians, to shut the food trucks down for an hour. Mikey's hair was messy, so I enjoyed watching his blowout.

It was. I watched it on Sunday, learning way more about Posting Boys than I ever knew about them from this show. They net in culinary school. I always wondered how quiet, unassuming Esther (?) fit in with the boisterous guys. I didn't realize they all had families, something they're playing up with Braised. I think that lack of personal narrative for Po Boys gives Braised the winner's edit. They've pounded in the missing our families angle w/r/t Braised from almost day one. Hell, before watching the other show, I thought Po Boys were three singles for all the background editing they gave us.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I thought the prize for that show was only 10k?

In the beginning they say Food Truck Busniess but at the end (rewatched for a third time a few minutes ago)they said 10k so who knows. 

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

It was. I watched it on Sunday, learning way more about Posting Boys than I ever knew about them from this show. They net in culinary school. I always wondered how quiet, unassuming Esther (?) fit in with the boisterous guys. I didn't realize they all had families, something they're playing up with Braised. I think that lack of personal narrative for Po Boys gives Braised the winner's edit. They've pounded in the missing our families angle w/r/t Braised from almost day one. Hell, before watching the other show, I thought Po Boys were three singles for all the background editing they gave us.

Maybe they gave Braised all the air time leading up to the finale to give Po most of the finale air time? I’m not sure if Po didn’t give them anything this go around or if they decided to be more restrained or what but their personality has been flat on Race. I will say this, my favorite part the entire season was: “Why you eating up all the product?!?” “Cause it’s good!” ?

Edited by Skyfall
  • Love 3
On 9/18/2017 at 5:30 PM, xaxat said:

I think that's entirely possible. Last week Braised beat the combined total of three teams plus the $500 bonus Po Boys won.

I wonder if there was some behind the scenes drama between FN and Athens/UGA. The show is usually good at permitting so trucks have pretty good latitude when it comes to parking. So it was kind of weird when Tyler said could only set up shop in business parking lots.

I like both the finalists. So glad Mikey is gone. 

What's amazing is the difference between what they are making in this season and what the trucks made per episode in the first two seasons.  Those Korean guys hid several thousand dollars in income from one city to add to their till in the next ones.  Those trucks were pulling in $7K easily.  What has changed?

I lean more towards Po'Boys just because of my irrational loathing of the totchos.  But I'm OK with the Braisoneers winning too.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

What's amazing is the difference between what they are making in this season and what the trucks made per episode in the first two seasons.  Those Korean guys hid several thousand dollars in income from one city to add to their till in the next ones.  Those trucks were pulling in $7K easily.  What has changed?

I lean more towards Po'Boys just because of my irrational loathing of the totchos.  But I'm OK with the Braisoneers winning too.

Maybe they changed from straight profit to net profit?

4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Those Korean guys hid several thousand dollars in income from one city to add to their till in the next ones.  Those trucks were pulling in $7K easily.  What has changed?

I'm thinking it must have something to do with those seasons featuring actual existing food trucks. Just the experience of knowing how to run a truck, what sells and what doesn't, sales tactics, plus existing fan bases...it must all add up.

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Those trucks were pulling in $7K easily.  What has changed?

A lack of enthusiasm on production’s part, I think. There used to be tweets and big announcements from the network in advance of the trucks’ arrivals. That has virtually disappeared.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

A lack of enthusiasm on production’s part, I think. There used to be tweets and big announcements from the network in advance of the trucks’ arrivals. That has virtually disappeared.

That's a good point. I don't have quite the history (or investment) with this show that others do, but I definitely recall lines outside closed trucks in empty parking lots. There was definitely an overall effort to get customers then that there doesn't seem to be now.

And I like it better this way. Finding spots and attracting crowds matters more than just ramping your price up to a $14 grilled cheese that people will pay just because there's a tv camera there.  But it really doesn't make me want to go into the food truck business. Po Boy made $20 the first (shortened) day and the "best hour" they were shut down for cost them an estimated $60-100. And they came in second.

2 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Maybe they changed from straight profit to net profit?

I strongly suspect they're still just using gross revenue, although it would be very funny if Mickey's blowout came out of their total take.

Mikey is smart enough to get the blow out for free, as long as she got the name of her shop on TV.

I thought it was the trucks themselves putting out the tweets in the first few seasons.  If it was production instead and they've stopped, then that explains a lot.

Even so, there's not much imagination with these crews.  However, the remaining two seem to have excellent food.

9 hours ago, SingleMaltBlonde said:

Can someone please work with Po Boys on marketing....their food looks amazing but the locations and social media seems to miss them.  I think they would be very successful if given a chance.

That’s on them. If they can’t figure out that they need to tweet where they are going to set up, or call around to find the busiest spots, they have no business owning a food truck. A stationary cafe might be better.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Amarsir said:

That's a good point. I don't have quite the history (or investment) with this show that others do, but I definitely recall lines outside closed trucks in empty parking lots. There was definitely an overall effort to get customers then that there doesn't seem to be now.

And I like it better this way. Finding spots and attracting crowds matters more than just ramping your price up to a $14 grilled cheese that people will pay just because there's a tv camera there.  But it really doesn't make me want to go into the food truck business. Po Boy made $20 the first (shortened) day and the "best hour" they were shut down for cost them an estimated $60-100. And they came in second.

I strongly suspect they're still just using gross revenue, although it would be very funny if Mickey's blowout came out of their total take.

I was hoping Tyler would say it did! You one thing we haven’t had this season? The trucks running into or breaking something and it coming out of their till. I do believe we are due!

5 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

That’s on them. If they can’t figure out that they need to tweet where they are going to set up, or call around to find the busiest spots, they have no business owning a food truck. A stationary cafe might be better.

They Instagramed during the comp where they were (most teams did IIRC), but not many used Instagram correctly. They posted pictures of the food AFTER they had closed down for the day. They should’ve been doing photos and videos of the food and themselves while they were at the spot to entice people to come out. Mikey is the only one this season that I’ve seen actually call to try to get people out to the truck.

• Love 2

People in past seasons were on the phone or online constantly, drumming up interest. A friend in Santa Monica told me she got a message to come out several years ago, even though she didn’t know any of the trucks. You’ve got to be Internet savvy to get folks out, and this season’s truck people didn’t have it.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

I was hoping Tyler would say it did! You one thing we haven’t had this season? The trucks running into or breaking something and it coming out of their till. I do believe we are due!

I'm so glad you brought this up!  Minor destruction of property always awakens my inner third-grader.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

People in past seasons were on the phone or online constantly, drumming up interest. A friend in Santa Monica told me she got a message to come out several years ago, even though she didn’t know any of the trucks. You’ve got to be Internet savvy to get folks out, and this season’s truck people didn’t have it.

Yeah it was all half assed from what I saw and from we’ve been shown. I still remember Pho using a phone book and landline to connect with the person they did and it was a highly successful spot. Same location/episode as the marketing challenge that they killed.

• Love 3

I'm all for them working the phones and posting to social media as long as the person doing it isn't driving.  It just makes me nuts watching someone driving a huge vehicle in traffic in an unfamiliar city while talking on their cell phone.  It also sets a really bad example.  And is illegal many places.  Maybe those bits are staged but I watch the scenery passing outside the truck or car windows and they don't seem to be.  FN should know better.

Edited by mlp
correct subject-verb agreement
  • Love 4

It’s illegal in Georgia to talk and drive, or look at your phone. A friend was at a stoplight, she glanced down at her phone to see where her next turn would be, a cop saw her and gave her a ticket. It’s nuts.

I miss the days of them hitting light poles with the truck.

• Love 4

Stupid question, but I will ask anyway. 

Does one need a commercial DL to drive the truck? I would guess not, but still wonder due to all the propane and other doo-dads they carry to make the truck operative for a food business. I would guess it falls under the same  category as driving a motorhome/tour bus?

On 9/19/2017 at 3:17 PM, Simon47 said:

I can't believe the decision by Braised in the south, which I'm pulling for them since they're South Carolinians, to shut the food trucks down for an hour.

I agree.  I know it was part of the show, and they won it, but I really don't like advantages that affect the other teams that directly.  Make it something like a little more money for food, or they can make one dish they did before.

• Love 3
On 9/21/2017 at 8:16 PM, cooksdelight said:

According to my friend who has a food truck, yes, you need a CDL. It can be Class A or Class B, depending on the weight of the truck.

If you have a CDL you can probably make more money more steadily for less effort not driving a food truck around.

• Love 1
On 9/19/2017 at 1:30 AM, xaxat said:

The show is usually good at permitting so trucks have pretty good latitude when it comes to parking. So it was kind of weird when Tyler said could only set up shop in business parking lots.

I noticed that behind the Breakfast Club truck there was at one point another food truck not associated with the show. It was parked on the street by the looks of things. It was a white one with an associated pick-up and the name American Food or something like that.