Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E18: We Interrupt This Program

• Start Topic

This is apropos of nothing, but I couldn't wait to tell this to people who might not think I'm quite as weird as the general population would.
I had a dream last night that I was directing an episode of our show. The actor playing Rush Sanders was the actor who played Mitch "The Flash" Leery. Clearly I watch (and listen to podcasts of) 90's teen soaps way too much.
Back to comments about these wonderful visual aids.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, ZeroDiscipline said:

And also "very convincing, dumbass" after Brandon's bullshit with the stalker. Strong work today.

Setiously. His stoic "Yup. Donna has been un mentioning how she's going to break up with David and can't stop talking about the uh crush she has on you.." like really JP is so checked out of this show at this point, giving him actual scenes in the A plot is not a great idea. 

Also i forgot this story dragged on or this many episodes. And then the ending is kind of meh on the whole thing. No one even gets hurt. It's just like "oh we gotta tidy this thing up".

I know I said I hardly remembered anything that happens after SWF but I did remember this story, mostly this episode but now I don't think I remember anything much. Inknow a few bits and pieces of what's next but it's all so jumbled up now in my head- Hawai trip, kelly gets amnesia, Brandon leaves, Val leaves, etc. So.. yeah. That's all I remember and I don't think that happens for a while. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Ugh. Well this stalker story is over, yay. I used to think nothing could be worse than The OCs Oliver stalker storyline but then I watched 90210 reruns and there was this.  

At least Oliver had a whole "teenage Great Gatsby" thing going on. This dude was stalking for no good reason. Total waste of the actor's good looks.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, MCMLXXVII said:

At least Oliver had a whole "teenage Great Gatsby" thing going on. This dude was stalking for no good reason. Total waste of the actor's good looks.

Yeah.. this stalker at the end of it had no real motive? Other than the whole being crazy thing but still.. that's what the show comes up with? I also love his story's for "i know I shouldn't have almost run you over.." the hell? I agree with Sarah and Tara he was ALL OVER THE PLACE with all his actions and reasons for doing what he did. Nothing made sense. But I blame the fact that clearly the writers were trying to scheme so badly and then not having an end plan. 

• Love 1

Okay, I legit snorted at the "flying squirrel" gif, and that is going to be my new name for Brandon. Squirrel for short. 

Also, remember how small TVs used to be? All those people watching the wee snack shack TV reminded me of crowding around a 25" CRT with a couple dozen people in my boyfriend's dorm lounge to watch X-Files. No wonder they got away with such "special" effects.

• Love 3

I just realized we still have 14 more episodes this season.  I've never understood why this particular show aired so many episodes during the year.  It's not as if they were still doing what they did in the first two or so years where the episodes were airing during the summer as a way to hook new viewers.  Just listening to the recaps now, it's obvious they didn't have enough material to sustain 22 episodes, much less the 32 they are packing in every year.   

I had also completely forgotten about the Samantha/Chancellor Arnold romance.  It's very cute, and it makes me question the dramatic revelation that is made about Samantha in Season 9 or 10.   

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I just realized we still have 14 more episodes this season.  I've never understood why this particular show aired so many episodes during the year.  It's not as if they were still doing what they did in the first two or so years where the episodes were airing during the summer as a way to hook new viewers.  Just listening to the recaps now, it's obvious they didn't have enough material to sustain 22 episodes, much less the 32 they are packing in every year.   

I had also completely forgotten about the Samantha/Chancellor Arnold romance.  It's very cute, and it makes me question the dramatic revelation that is made about Samantha in Season 9 or 10.   

Wow. 32 episodes this season as well?!?! How did they get away with that? I guess it was a different time? I don't think they could get away with that now in tv. I don't see actors committing themselves to a tv season of  32 episodes. 

But I mean.. this explains a lot about why there are episodes like this. Clearly at this point the show was running out of steam and storylines. This however while a terrible episode was a hilarious podcast so there's that. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I know I said I hardly remembered anything that happens after SWF but I did remember this story, mostly this episode but now I don't think I remember anything much. Inknow a few bits and pieces of what's next but it's all so jumbled up now in my head- Hawai trip, kelly gets amnesia, Brandon leaves, Val leaves, etc. So.. yeah. That's all I remember and I don't think that happens for a while. 

Ugh. I forgot about Kelly's stupid amnesia. From here on out it really is the writers trying to one-up each other on who can write more boring plots.

I'm envisioning a dungeon-y chamber (like in the movie 9 to 5) where all the show writers are chained to their computers, and these terrible storylines are their cries for help. "If our writing is bad enough, maybe they'll cancel the show, and we can finally be freed!"

• Love 5

I remember Kelly's stupid amnesia because when it aired (I was in high school and a big hatewatcher) I literally screamed at my TV because amnesia is the soapiest of soap tropes and they just had to go there. Also I'm pretty sure she gets shot because Brandon was getting in a dick contest with some other guy, like how has no one tried to kill him?! It's like he's begging for it!

As far as this episode goes, does anyone else think Donna's sudden playin tough/reverse psychology turn at the end of the episode was out of character? When has she ever not acted like a 5 year old?

Oh and I was recently revisiting the Emily Valentine episodes; her stalkery behavior lasts ONE EPISODE. If the season 7 writers had done it there would've been an extra two years worth of mysterious letters to The Blaze and hang ups at Casa Walsh!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, getconfidentstupid said:

As far as this episode goes, does anyone else think Donna's sudden playin tough/reverse psychology turn at the end of the episode was out of character? When has she ever not acted like a 5 year old?

Oh and I was recently revisiting the Emily Valentine episodes; her stalkery behavior lasts ONE EPISODE. If the season 7 writers had done it there would've been an extra two years worth of mysterious letters to The Blaze and hang ups at Casa Walsh!

Yup, just from listening I thought "this is Tori's Emmy reel".

16 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I just realized we still have 14 more episodes this season.

This season, more so than the others, feels sooo long.  I had thought Brandon and Kelly's reunion happened midway through, but it must be in the back third because we haven't even gotten to all the STUFF! with the ring yet.

But I also don't want this season to end because we lose Claire and "gain" Noah and Carly.  Although I feel like Noah-as-bargain-basement-Dylan is really going to inspire some amusing reactions from Tara and Sarah.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, getconfidentstupid said:

I was re-listening to this very episode last week.  Even though I've heard it before, I laughed out loud when Sarah/Tara talk about how Dads hate it when you mess with the phone.  The entire Emily V storyline was so short.  They are missing the evil twin trope.  Who would have been able to carry off a Adam/Stuart situation (like in All My Children)?

• Love 2
11 hours ago, MCMLXXVII said:

Yup, just from listening I thought "this is Tori's Emmy reel".

Lol. This show was never ever never considered Emmy-worthy, not even in the early days when it was kind of good. Tori Spelling was the absolute worst actress of the bunch. But I totally can see how she would think it was possible to be considered for an Emmy, considering who her father is.  Edited to add-- I stand corrected. Milton Berle was nominated for an Emmy for his guest role, and Jason Priestly, of all people, was nominated for a Golden Globe. I give up.

• Love 4

That pic of everyone watching the TV should be shown to everyone in it because "Is that really what my hair looks like from the back?" (looking at you, Rose Marie in the lower left, skullet in the middle, and what appears to be a Topsy Tail on the upper left)

2017-09-18-awt-bh-23.jpg

• Love 4
On 9/18/2017 at 7:15 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

well this stalker story is over, yay. I used to think nothing could be worse than The OCs Oliver stalker storyline but then I watched 90210 reruns and there was this. 

Maybe I was only one of the 3 people on the planet, but I LOVED the Oliver storyline. I loved how Seth, Ryan, and Luke ("Just say the word, and I will DROP the Great Gatsby") bonded over their hatred of him. I loved how Oliver hit himself in the head when he was frustrated (unintentionally hilarious). Mostly, I loved how Ryan dumped Marissa's stupid ass after it was all over and got with Theresa. Hee.

Oh, Donna, Donna, Donna, Donna. If the guy was bold enough to drop off a dead RAT in your bed and try to run your ass over, maybe not try to yell at him about how you want a real man whilst he has a friggin loaded gun on you. Only on TV. IRL, Evan would have shot her, shot Brandon, and Kelly (because hey she didn't want to date him) and probably dozens more. That doesn't work with kooks. It just doesn't. 

While I giggled along with others re: Randy, it also showed how these middled-aged male writers like their women. It was painful listening to Donna fucking apologize to Randy while he was just dumping all over her. And that's apparently to be admired? That's what makes her a fucking angel?  Ray calls her a rich bitch and she falls in love with him, David treats her like shit on the regular, and she's all "Gee ,I'm so sorry my being terrorised by a stalker who intends to rape and kill me has inconvenienced you." Really? I would so be like, "You know what, Randy? Fuck all the way off." But no, there's Donna simpering like the chump she is. I know she's insufferable and everything, and sometimes she does act like a rich bitch, but her obsession with being the "nice, virginal, catholic" girl who everybody loves is so creepy and weird...

re: the olds. No shame in the game. I love how Samantha Sanders is all, hmm, maybe I should've bought the red one... get it, girl.

• Love 2