Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E18: Genotype

ahisma

(I can't find an episode blurb anywhere. But the Pack try to prevent the two halves of the Anuk Ite from merging.)

Eh. The Biology teacher does turn out to be something. Although how she passed the sonic emitter and wolfsbane tests, I have no idea. 

Nice effect on the hellhound leaking melted silver out of his brain. 

Gorgon. Great. *eye roll* 

I agree, where's Jackson?

• Love 1

By itself this would have been a really great episode if it wasn't for the magically appearing and disappearing characters. The biology teacher turns out to be a werewolf - and an Alpha at that - but then gets whisked to the same fold in space time the other missing characters are stuck in until they're called upon. I assume that she, Jackson, Corey, Argent and Parish are having a great time waiting for the interdimensional portal back to Beacon Hills.

The Anuk thing looks like the Silence but on the cheap. Like, seriously on the cheap. And I'm not sure where the Gorgon properties come from.... 

• Love 1

By itself this would have been a really great episode if it wasn't for the magically appearing and disappearing characters.

I completely agree about the character alternate plane of reality. The fact that this is the final season only makes it more noticeable that characters appear and disappear seemingly randomly. I realize this is shoulda woulda coulda, but if the show couldn't handle an ensemble cast this big, they shouldn't have introduced this many new characters. Having Parrish, Argent, and the Sheriff just tap out for episodes here and there is a weird way to handle storytelling in general and an even weirder way to handle your last few episodes. And every episode this season (except...one?) has been a variation on "let's all split up into different combinations and work on plans."

So Quinn was the other half. Gee, who saw that coming? Oh, wait. I did. Because it was obvious (see previous episode thread from when Quinn was introduced). Sigh. 

I really don't think the story idea for this arc was even a bad one (though they really needed to fine tune it a bit to make it make even a tiny bit of sense). But the pacing is a mess. And for an arc that was supposed to focus on Scott, the only real focus has been on how all these bad guys want to kill him specifically for no apparent reason. Scott is seemingly just being propelled from one event dictated by others to another event dictated by others and has had no ability at all to be in any way effective against the threats to Beacon Hills. And I know Gerard is all evil and whatever, but he's always had a sort of gray area indifference to Scott, content to let him stick around and be potentially useful to Gerard. Gerard has never been hellbent on killing him, and the fact that he is now doesn't actually make any sense without further development. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

By itself this would have been a really great episode if it wasn't for the magically appearing and disappearing characters. The biology teacher turns out to be a werewolf - and an Alpha at that - but then gets whisked to the same fold in space time the other missing characters are stuck in until they're called upon. I assume that she, Jackson, Corey, Argent and Parish are having a great time waiting for the interdimensional portal back to Beacon Hills.

The Anuk thing looks like the Silence but on the cheap. Like, seriously on the cheap. And I'm not sure where the Gorgon properties come from.... 

I assume this is the same portal dimension where Lydia's mother, the principal of Beacon Hills High and daughter and mother of a supernatural must reside because otherwise "WTF lady!"

Suddenly the Anuk-ite can turn people to stone, but hasn't turned Monroe or the Monroettes except for the two red shirts at the high school. Plus the kid who saw this mentions it to no one. This is a semi-decent idea buried in the final season and surrounded by intense stupidity.

9 hours ago, Jillibean said:

And every episode this season (except...one?) has been a variation on "let's all split up into different combinations and work on plans."

I was particularly perplexed by this week's matchup: "We need to figure out a puzzle (who left the voicemail). Let me send my vulnerable human puzzle solver down into the tunnels with Theo (and without his useful invisibility cloak boyfriend), while I keep my best fighter who is more emotional than analytical here to work on the question."

W. T. F. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I assume this is the same portal dimension where Lydia's mother, the principal of Beacon Hills High and daughter and mother of a supernatural must reside because otherwise "WTF lady!"

Also in there is Liam's surgeon stepfather from the hospital who apparently has no opinion on his son's lycanthropy or the fact the hospital has been taken over by a supernatural lynch mob.

Suddenly the Anuk-ite can turn people to stone, but hasn't turned Monroe or the Monroettes except for the two red shirts at the high school. Plus the kid who saw this mentions it to no one. This is a semi-decent idea buried in the final season and surrounded by intense stupidity.

HIs character makes the least sense to me, and in this season that is saying something. I can't remember his name, of course, but he was the one who showed them the other bodies, he knows a supernatural creature has been using the pogrom to hunt for its other half and he now knows that an unstoppable Gorgon is running around Beacon Hills. HIs response to all of this is just to [REDACTED due to spoilers. Sorry, see next episode for comment].

10 hours ago, Jillibean said:

So Quinn was the other half. Gee, who saw that coming? Oh, wait. I did. Because it was obvious (see previous episode thread from when Quinn was introduced). Sigh. 

Yes, you did well. I was foolishly looking for the other half to make some sort of narrative sense. Foolish, foolish me. Also, I couldn't remember who Quinn was.

10 hours ago, Jillibean said:

And I know Gerard is all evil and whatever, but he's always had a sort of gray area indifference to Scott, content to let him stick around and be potentially useful to Gerard. Gerard has never been hellbent on killing him, and the fact that he is now doesn't actually make any sense without further development. 

Gerard has always been pretty genocidal. After all, he's the one who created Kate. He wasn't indifferent to Scott, he just didn't see the point of killing somebody who he may need later. Since his motives are utterly self-serving, he didn't care about things like revenge in the same way Kate did. Now he's been cured of his cancer, it makes perfect sense for him to move ahead with his 'kill everyone' plan and for him to see Scott as his biggest obstacle. After all, he remembers Scott from his pre-dumbass days when he outwitted him with the pills and the Alpha bite. He still thinks he's dealing with Season 2 Scott before the writers decided they couldn't cope with a lead with brains. And in Scott's defence he's been pretty good at identifying his pack's skills and utilising them as assets, which does make him a good leader. That only changed in season 5 when his IQ needed to drop 50 points to make the Theo plotline work.

What annoyed me in this was that he kept trying to delegate the leadership role to Liam as part of his 'grooming Liam to be future Alpha' thing. That's fine when you're not in the middle of a world-ending crisis. But this was the time to step up and be in charge and he kept telling Liam to do it. For that matter, why have the biology teacher revealed as an Alpha at the end of the episode if you're not going to have two Alphas run in and attack the Anukite together? 

As you said, the pacing in this is terrible.

Edited by AudienceofOne
Almost spoiled it for people who haven't seen episode 19
  • Love 1

Aaron and Quinn:  Good old Teen Wolf -- when in doubt, kill the female!

Gerard to Anuk-lite (yes, trhat's intentional): You can't beat Scott in a physical fight.

Me [on the floor, dying from  laughter]: My 80 year old Aunt Sally could beat Scott in a physical fight, and she's been dead for two years!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

After all, he remembers Scott from his pre-dumbass days when he outwitted him with the pills and the Alpha bite.

Joke's on him. That was Deaton's idea, and Deaton is pretty much MIA these days. 

• Love 1
On 9/18/2017 at 6:01 AM, AudienceofOne said:

The biology teacher turned out to be an Alpha because her entire pack was killed - she was the only one of her pack left, so that's why she's an Alpha now.

5 hours ago, Adira said:

The biology teacher turned out to be an Alpha because her entire pack was killed - she was the only one of her pack left, so that's why she's an Alpha now.

I think that would only be if she personally killed the last alpha of her pack, not if someone else did. I don't think, historically, alpha power transfers if you're just the last one left. I imagine at that point you would just be an omega, because you would have no pack. The only way you can become an alpha, according to this show, is to kill an alpha or to be a true alpha. Then again, it's this show, so who knows?

Edited by Jillibean
6 hours ago, Adira said:

1 hour ago, Jillibean said:

I think that would only be if she personally killed the last alpha of her pack, not if someone else did. I don't think, historically, alpha power transfers if you're just the last one left. 

Actually, it does so I think Adira is right. Right back at the beginning when all the Hales were killed, the Alpha passed automatically to Derek's older sister when everyone was killed in the fire. Peter then killed Derek's older sister to become the Alpha but she definitely inherited it. Now what the rules are behind this I don't  know (and will now never know). It may only be passed through bloodlines of born wolves or it may be a mystical pack thing. Either way, it can be inherited.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

Actually, it does so I think Adira is right. Right back at the beginning when all the Hales were killed, the Alpha passed automatically to Derek's older sister when everyone was killed in the fire. Peter then killed Derek's older sister to become the Alpha but she definitely inherited it. Now what the rules are behind this I don't  know (and will now never know). It may only be passed through bloodlines of born wolves or it may be a mystical pack thing. Either way, it can be inherited.

Right, I had thought of that--but, for instance, when the rest of Derek's pack was all killed off and Derek gave up his alpha spark, Isaac (and/or Jackson) didn't become an alpha. When Satomi's pack was all killed off, neither of the remaining wolves became an alpha. And wasn't the point of Scott becoming a true alpha that it was the only way one could ascend to alpha-ness without killing anyone? So...not that any of this matters, but I'm going to say it's yet another point on which the show has been inconsistent in the mythology, and for that reason, I'm still unclear on whether or not the teacher was an alpha to begin with or inherited the power because everyone else was dead. I would say maybe the power is inherited only in the case that the alpha wasn't killed by another wolf but died of other causes (a la Laura), but then the Satomi pack example still doesn't work. 

Once again, we have all officially put more thought into this than the writers did. 

2 hours ago, Jillibean said:

Right, I had thought of that--but, for instance, when the rest of Derek's pack was all killed off and Derek gave up his alpha spark, Isaac (and/or Jackson) didn't become an alpha. When Satomi's pack was all killed off, neither of the remaining wolves became an alpha. And wasn't the point of Scott becoming a true alpha that it was the only way one could ascend to alpha-ness without killing anyone?

In Derek's case, the alpha power was deliberately put into Cora to save her life. It was "spending" or giving up the Hale alpha spark so that no one would be alpha any longer,  but Cora would live. That's why it was considered such a sacrifice.

In Satomi's case, we don't know whether there was another beta who escaped in a different direction, or whether she had a relative living elsewhere who might have gotten her alpha spark. 

The point of Scott becoming a true alpha was that he self-generated a brand new alpha spark that was not inherited through the death of a previous alpha (passed through pack/family or passed to the killer). 

It's true they didn't specify whether the teacher was originally the alpha or not. Maybe she was and tucked her pack away to keep them safe while she earned the paycheck to support them. Or maybe she was a beta "scout" in town while her alpha protected their camp. She certainly resisted turning to save herself at the end, either because she was strong enough to resist the temptation, or she was so distraught at the loss of her alpha and pack that she didn't want to survive. 

I do agree that the writers are consistently thin on the details that would flesh out the world building they start but then forget about.