Type keyword(s) to search

Born This Way in the Media

I really want to laugh that Cristina put "the prettiest one" Meg in such an ugly bridesmaid dress, but poor Elena had to wear that curtain fabric, too.  At least maid of honor Rachel got to wear a different dress and look nice.

• Love 1

Please forgive me if this has been addressed (I have not watched the show from the beginning; I'm working on it) but is this a legal marriage? Or just ceremonial/symbolic so to speak?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Emkat said:

Please forgive me if this has been addressed (I have not watched the show from the beginning; I'm working on it) but is this a legal marriage? Or just ceremonial/symbolic so to speak?

I have been wondering the same thing. They have never addressed the subject that I remember.

I truly did not know if they could legally consent to it. And if they are legally married; are they now the medical and financial next of kin for each other?

Please forgive my ignorance as I am genuinely interested to know. I am in the medical field and every patient I have come across that has down syndrome or some other intellectual disability has a guardian or next of kin that signs medical consents and that sort of thing on their behalf. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, camom said:

Of course it's a legal marriage.  Why wouldn't it be?

I remember in the documentary Monica and David, they had a celebration and not a legal wedding. That’s why I wondered.

• Love 3

In California, they are considered legal adults who can sign for themselves unless the parents have a conservatorship.  In this case, I don't think either Cristina or Angel is conserved, but even if they were, their conservators (presumably the parents) could allow them to be legally married.  Yes, there have been cases of people with developmental disabilities having a ceremony that wasn't a legal marriage, but in this case it is.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Eureka said:

I remember in the documentary Monica and David, they had a celebration and not a legal wedding. That’s why I wondered.

I've seen the Monica and David documentary multiple times and I don't recall anything being mentioned about it not being a legal wedding.  Where did you hear that?

4 hours ago, TVFANATICA2000 said:

I've seen the Monica and David documentary multiple times and I don't recall anything being mentioned about it not being a legal wedding.  Where did you hear that?

I could have sworn I remember one of their mothers talking about it. Maybe I am misremembering but I really thought they mentioned it.