Jump to content

Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 9/18/17


Jaded
  • Reply
  • Start Topic

Recommended Posts

Star truly set a precedent of co-hosts bouncing day-of the announcement.

Star, Rosie (both times), Michelle, Raven, Nicolle, Rosie P, CCB, Jedi, Lis?

We knew Meredith? Joy? and of course year of Barbara. Don't remember Jenny or Sherris exits just them crying at the table. 

Edited by geekburger
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Nice to see this show has continued its longstanding tradition of treating departing hosts like absolute shit and making sure their exits are as awkward, painful, and embarrassing as possible. 

What I want to know is when are they finally going to drop a house on Whoopi Goldberg?  She's what is wrong with this show. 

Edited by Dirty Mary
Because I know when to use an apostrophe and when not to, so back off spell check. I don't need your help
  • Love 20
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Dirty Mary said:

Nice to see this show has continued it's longstanding tradition of treating departing hosts like absolute shit and making sure their exits are as awkward, painful, and embarrassing as possible. 

What I want to know is when are they finally going to drop a house on Whoopi Goldberg?  She's what is wrong with this show. 

Beautiful said! 

  • Love 6
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Hello Lady said:

But Whoopi is like that every day, she's the reason I use FF to the guest! 

Exactly what I was gonna say.  How often is Whoopi "abrasive and obnoxious day after day."  She's the leading culprit.  

Edited by A.J.
typo
  • Love 5
Link to comment

2 hours ago, Hello Lady said:

I started watching the talk now and then. They genuinely seem to a) like one another and b) let one another speak.

The view seems so angry at times. I guess I don't get it.

I flirted with The Talk, and I still tape it to see who the guests are. But I'm much more interested in politics than Kardashians, so I find it too fluffy and insubstantial. Give me The View, with all its warts.

  • Love 21
Link to comment
2 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

I flirted with The Talk, and I still tape it to see who the guests are. But I'm much more interested in politics than Kardashians, so I find it too fluffy and insubstantial. Give me The View, with all its warts.

The Talk has been way too fluffy since it's been back this season without Aisha. I'm wavering on not wanting to watch anymore.

I'm still kinda shocked at the Jed news. My first reaction to reading it was to start smiling. Since I DVR the show I ended up reading about her firing first. I went back and forth on kinda liking her at times. I didn't agree with most of her views though. Her claims of holding so many supposed jobs which I think was when she worked for some school her Mom had? I guess we'll see how much she'll "shake things up" in the future since she considers "shaking things up" to be her thing in life. 

  • Love 7
Link to comment
9 hours ago, A.J. said:

And I have a feeling Paula is a supporter of gay rights.

Has she ever said how she feels about same sex marriage?  I don't recall her saying anything but it wouldn't surprise me if it makes her uncomfortable.  I don't know.

I'm a frequent griper about Jed but the panel does need a conservative view.  (Or is that Republican?  Or Libertarian?)  As much as I can't stand her smug face she annoyed me far less than Elisabeth.  I almost always disagree with Jed but at least I feel she's making her own critical judgments and not just parroting what the producer fed her that morning.  And to be honest I've complained about Whoopi, Paula, Joy, Sara, and Sunny too (in that order of annoyance).  It's really unfortunate if Jed was fired because of the Hillary interview.  I didn't think anything she asked (or lectured) was that egregious.  If this is true I expect to start seeing Fox headlines saying Hillary forced the producers to fire Jed.  I cannot imagine Hillary was the least bit offended by anything Jed said.

There have been times I've liked Meghan and times I've thrown things at the tv.  I expect she'll fall solidly into the "get off my tv!" catagory quickly.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 8
Link to comment
14 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well this show never purported to be "fair and balanced." It's not news. It's Entertainment.

Yes. I guess you are right. The show is called The View, not The Views. The title of the show  just doesn't obviously state that it is"The Left View".

  • Love 4
Link to comment
41 minutes ago, mrbean5411 said:

Yes. I guess you are right. The show is called The View, not The Views. The title of the show  just doesn't obviously state that it is"The Left View".

And it is under no obligation to do so. Until about seven years ago or so, like @ChicagoCita stated upthread, when this show first premiered, for the first 10 years or so, it was about women from all walks of life, of varying ages, talking about their lives; it wasn't drawn down the line into political views or discussions. And if there are people who want to see a conservative point of view, well, this show isn't the place they'll find one.

As for why they won't boot Whoopi off--she's an Icon in their eyes; if the many tributes to her haven't convinced viewers, long time or casual, nothing will. She won't leave until she decides to leave.

Topic? I very much doubt that Jedifoxboot was booted because of the Hillary interview. This looked like they were keeping her in place/on hold until they locked down a deal (if one believes the articles about securing a deal with McCain) with McCain. Why ABC would want someone who trash talked them on other shows is beyond my understanding.

  • Love 13
Link to comment

6 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

The thing is, Sunny does know it all. Well, she knows more than nearly everyone else at the table, so that counts. She's someone who reads the books of the guests, and knows the background of the legal and political issues they talk about. She doesn't get loud often, and she doesn't take a ton of words to get her point out. I admire her greatly and enjoy watching her.

To me, she's a typical lawyer, so what she says is right according to the law. It's not a very long show, so she often goes on too long for my taste. However when it comes to Manny, she sounds very immature. We can't like everyone, she just doesn't do it for me. I don't ever listen to anyone chatting about Kim K and co..

18 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And it is under no obligation to do so. Until about seven years ago or so, like @ChicagoCita stated upthread, when this show first premiered, for the first 10 years or so, it was about women from all walks of life, of varying ages, talking about their lives; it wasn't drawn down the line into political views or discussions. And if there are people who want to see a conservative point of view, well, this show isn't the place they'll find one.

As for why they won't boot Whoopi off--she's an Icon in their eyes; if the many tributes to her haven't convinced viewers, long time or casual, nothing will. She won't leave until she decides to leave.

Topic? I very much doubt that Jedifoxboot was booted because of the Hillary interview. This looked like they were keeping her in place/on hold until they locked down a deal (if one believes the articles about securing a deal with McCain) with McCain. Why ABC would want someone who trash talked them on other shows is beyond my understanding.

What did Jed say that was so awful? Did Clinton complain? I watched on demand, and nothing was said that offended anyone. Or are they all too thin skinned? 

6 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

I flirted with The Talk, and I still tape it to see who the guests are. But I'm much more interested in politics than Kardashians, so I find it too fluffy and insubstantial. Give me The View, with all its warts.

I don't watch it daily, I just noted his they seem friendly, not angry, plus as a bonus, no Whoopi!

  • Love 2
Link to comment

That's a shame. Even though i don't agree with her, I do like Jed. She's managed to hold her own on the panel and can intelligently argue her point.  They've Meder had a conservative who could do that. 

It also sucks because this is the best panel they've had since the original. After years of trying to find a decent mix, you'd think they they wouldn't mess with success. 

As for the news/ entertainment debate, The View does fall under ABCs news department now. 

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 6
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Hello Lady said:

I started watching the talk now and then. They genuinely seem to a) like one another and b) let one another speak.

The Talk and The View are two different animals.  I'll DVR The Talk and The View if they have good guests.  I never watch The View or The Talk's first half hour because I hate the chat.  The Talk because they talk about the dumbest subjects, and The View because Whoopi ruins it for me with her condescension, her mean-spiritedness and her general lack of understanding of the issues she thinks she's an expert on.

What The Talk does well is interview guests, generally guests get two segments as opposed to The View's one segment.  The Talk lets the guests speak, The View tends to cut them off with new questions.

Two different shows with different approaches with their own assets and liabilities.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, sugarbaker design said:

The Talk and The View are two different animals.  I'll DVR The Talk and The View if they have good guests.  I never watch The View or The Talk's first half hour because I hate the chat.  The Talk because they talk about the dumbest subjects, and The View because Whoopi ruins it for me with her condescension, her mean-spiritedness and her general lack of understanding of the issues she thinks she's an expert on.

What The Talk does well is interview guests, generally guests get two segments as opposed to The View's one segment.  The Talk lets the guests speak, The View tends to cut them off with new questions.

Two different shows with different approaches with their own assets and liabilities.

Yes, they are two very different animals. But courtesy, and manners is only on one show.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

31 minutes ago, Hello Lady said:

What did Jed say that was so awful? Did Clinton complain? I watched on demand, and nothing was said that offended anyone. Or are they all too thin skinned? 

It wasn't that she said anything offensive, and I don't know who you mean by "they" being thin-skinned.  Since I'm the one who said that the Hilary interview was problematic for Jed, I'll give what I heard. 

It was really about  this -  after the first long-winded question to Hillary, where Jed detailed how Republicans and Democrats are criticizing the book, for reasons Jed outlined, and asked Hillary to respond to the critics , in the next segment, Jed said:

  • I'm a conservative and I read your book cover to cover, because  I was really  interested in your perspective and still am. the thing that bothered me , if I'm being honest, is that I felt there was some tone-deafness as to why, when you say you were unsure as to why the race was so close to begin with, I was talking to people throughout the country, I have trump supporters in my family and friends, who were saying, we're frustrated with rising Obamacare costs, we're frustrated with government over-reach, we're frustrated that we had a president who couldn't  utter the words radical Islamic extremism with the ease  that we wanted him to, so we're voting for trump based on real issues.  Do you acknowledge that, that was happening?  

 

Right there-  poor interviewing skills.  she went on for a paragraph about her own views and the views of "some people"  and ended with a yes/no question.  Interviewers are supposed to ask open-ended questions, not talk on and on and end with a yes/no question.   That's when it becomes more about the interviewer (Jed)  than about the person being interviewed. 

  • Love 22
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, backformore said:

It wasn't that she said anything offensive, and I don't know who you mean by "they" being thin-skinned.  Since I'm the one who said that the Hilary interview was problematic for Jed, I'll give what I heard. 

It was really about  this -  after the first long-winded question to Hillary, where Jed detailed how Republicans and Democrats are criticizing the book, for reasons Jed outlined, and asked Hillary to respond to the critics , in the next segment, Jed said:

  • I'm a conservative and I read your book cover to cover, because  I was really  interested in your perspective and still am. the thing that bothered me , if I'm being honest, is that I felt there was some tone-deafness as to why, when you say you were unsure as to why the race was so close to begin with, I was talking to people throughout the country, I have trump supporters in my family and friends, who were saying, we're frustrated with rising Obamacare costs, we're frustrated with government over-reach, we're frustrated that we had a president who couldn't  utter the words radical Islamic extremism with the ease  that we wanted him to, so we're voting for trump based on real issues.  Do you acknowledge that, that was happening?  

 

Right there-  poor interviewing skills.  she went on for a paragraph about her own views and the views of "some people"  and ended with a yes/no question.  Interviewers are supposed to ask open-ended questions, not talk on and on and end with a yes/no question.   That's when it becomes more about the interviewer (Jed)  than about the person being interviewed. 

So for that she was fired? Seriously? If this were 60 minutes, I'd agree with you 100%, but The View, where Whoopi  often talks like a valley girl? 

Thin skinned, I meant the show. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
34 minutes ago, DB in CMH said:

That's a shame. Even though i don't agree with her, I do like Jed. She's managed to hold her own on the panel and can intelligently argue her point.  They've Meder had a conservative who could do that. 

It also sucks because this is the best panel they've had since the original. After years of trying to find a decent mix, you'd think they they wouldn't mess with success. 

As for the news/ entertainment debate, The View does fall under ABCs news department now. 

Me too, I'm bummed!  I was enjoying this panel for the most part.

The Talk was mentioned as being a good show, but, I'm sorry, you couldn't pay me to watch that dreck.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Paula is a born-again Christian, I can guarantee she does not support gay rights, especially marriage equality.

I guess that's up to her. I strongly disagree with Paula on that. On other issues I strongly agree with her, and the fact she doesn't giggle loudly when Whoopie is not funny.Jed laughed way too much, and too loudly! 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Topic? I very much doubt that Jedifoxboot was booted because of the Hillary interview. This looked like they were keeping her in place/on hold until they locked down a deal (if one believes the articles about securing a deal with McCain) with McCain. Why ABC would want someone who trash talked them on other shows is beyond my understanding.

Agree.  Doesn't seem like she would be booted over the Hillary interview.  Hillary, herself, is very thick-skinned - as she would have to be.

  • Love 6
Link to comment

5 minutes ago, Hello Lady said:

So for that she was fired? Seriously?

No. Jedifoxbot hasn't said she was fired for this. It's speculation by one source: Page Six, that is putting that out there. And like my post stated above, it makes no sense. ABC was in talks with getting McMcain, but decided to keep Jedifoxbot in place until the deal was final. Again, if you believe what Page Six is "reporting." We'll never know until Bila comes out and states why she was fired. Probably in her book that doesn't have a title that she's working on. Or you could always tweet her and ask her.

  • Love 9
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, Hello Lady said:

So for that she was fired? Seriously?

NO, that's not what I'm saying.   I gave it as an example of how Jed "interviews"  guests.   She gives a speech, then asks a yes/no question.  the Hillary interview was the most recent example.   I'm not saying that "Offending Hillary"  was the one thing that got her fired.  I'm saying that Jed can't let go of her own ego in order to actually interview someone..  And this is in addition to Jed being reluctant to own her own "View"  by couching her opinion in "some people say"  or "my trump-supporting friends say.."  

  • Love 16
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No. Jedifoxbot hasn't said she was fired for this. It's speculation by one source: Page Six, that is putting that out there. And like my post stated above, it makes no sense. ABC was in talks with getting McMcain, but decided to keep Jedifoxbot in place until the deal was final. Again, if you believe what Page Six is "reporting." We'll never know until Bila comes out and states why she was fired. Probably in her book that doesn't have a title that she's working on. Or you could always tweet her and ask her.

No, Jed seems happy enough. She's busy with wedding plans as well. Joyicnnbot was never getting married, and even she said it took up time.

19 minutes ago, backformore said:

NO, that's not what I'm saying.   I gave it as an example of how Jed "interviews"  guests.   She gives a speech, then asks a yes/no question.  the Hillary interview was the most recent example.   I'm not saying that "Offending Hillary"  was the one thing that got her fired.  I'm saying that Jed can't let go of her own ego in order to actually interview someone..  And this is in addition to Jed being reluctant to own her own "View"  by couching her opinion in "some people say"  or "my trump-supporting friends say.."  

She doesn't support Trump, she's never skirted that issue. I do believe Clinton believes everyone was at fault but herself, on that I agree. I didn't have a horse in that race, I would gave voted green or something.

Link to comment

I"m sick of CCB and Fuller House; and I loathe Sagat.  If Bitsy comes back, I'll probably have to be out. If they fired Jed right before air time, that stinks. I don't like her, but wow.  She would need time to compose herself and organize that speech. All Sarah got was some candy and a crown for her 40th. Maybe I missed something. 

Edited by ari333
  • Love 10
Link to comment

I don't get why Jed was only there on Mon.  Even if the show was negotiating with Meghan for some time couldn't Jed have finished the week?  Or not be there on Mon?  It's not like the show wouldn't go with only 4 hosts, like today. 

  • Love 7
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I don't get why Jed was only there on Mon.  Even if the show was negotiating with Meghan for some time couldn't Jed have finished the week?  Or not be there on Mon?  It's not like the show wouldn't go with only 4 hosts, like today. 

Maybe she pulled a Star Jones?

  • Love 9
Link to comment

Jedi claimed to be an Independent, Conservative,  non-Trump supporter........yet constantly attacked Hillary Clinton, President Obama, Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi & Democratic members of Congress, while praising everything Trump has done since taking office, such as rolling-back consumer, environmental, banking & g/l/b/t/q legislation, her support of that horrible House Trump Care bill, agreeing with his plans to stop Legal Immigration & his threats to deport 800,000 Dreamers..........JB made it quite clear where she stood on those issues.  I stopped watching the Today because I found Matt Lauer's interrogation of HRC,  (her emails, the Clinton Foundation, her involvement in the death of the young DNC aide) during her appearances on the show offensive.......yet each time DJT appeared, Lauer greated him like an old friend &  treated him respectfully.

  • Love 20
Link to comment
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

As for why they won't boot Whoopi off--she's an Icon in their eyes; if the many tributes to her haven't convinced viewers, long time or casual, nothing will. She won't leave until she decides to leave.

Topic? I very much doubt that Jedifoxboot was booted because of the Hillary interview. This looked like they were keeping her in place/on hold until they locked down a deal (if one believes the articles about securing a deal with McCain) with McCain. Why ABC would want someone who trash talked them on other shows is beyond my understanding.

 

Where Whoopi is concerned, I think she checked out years ago. She said last season would be her final one. I think ABC was unable to find another big name to replace her, backed up the money truck, and Whoopi relented.

 

As for Jedediah, I think you're largely right. Although I really do suspect they wanted to keep her as a part-timer and she was hurt enough that she decided she would be better off leaving. This is just my own speculation, but I think she was willing to damage her conservative cred (i.e. be honestly critical of Trump and select Republican/conservative policies and actions with which she disagrees) for a major network's reach and pay. If/since her role was going to be diminished, she decided it was no longer worth it. 

I am a liberal, but I liked Bila well enough  as The View's political conservative. The rat-a-tat-tat was jarring at first, but I got used to it quickly enough.

 

1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

Paula is a born-again Christian, I can guarantee she does not support gay rights, especially marriage equality.

 

How can you guarantee that?

Check out this report from the Pew Research Center: http://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/changing-attitudes-on-gay-marriage/. Scroll down to the section on "Attitudes on same-sex marriage by religious affiliation."  In the US, support for same sex marriage has grown across a number of demographics, including religious people. Even about 35% of evangelicals support it.  

While Paula may or may not support marriage equality as a matter of federal law, I am not comfortable making that determination based on her religion. There are plenty of religiously conservative people who support legal marriage rights, whether or not they believe such unions are biblically approved.

 

11 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I don't get why Jed was only there on Mon.  Even if the show was negotiating with Meghan for some time couldn't Jed have finished the week?  Or not be there on Mon?  It's not like the show wouldn't go with only 4 hosts, like today. 

 

The only way I can figure this worked out (in my own head) is that they actually already have inked a deal with McCain and leaked a lesser story about being in "talks" to ease the way for her addition. I think Jedediah was blindsided (probably last Thursday, after the show) and they gave her the weekend to think about whether she'd remain affiliated in a lesser role, and she decided to walk away, cleanly. 

Am I misremembering, or was that the way it played out with Nicolle Wallace? I seem to recall that there was an offer on the table for her to be a part-time contributor and she made the final determination to just get out.

  • Love 5
Link to comment

5 minutes ago, General Days said:

Even about 35% of evangelicals support it.  

While Paula may or may not support marriage equality as a matter of federal law, I am not comfortable making that determination based on her religion. There are plenty of religiously conservative people who support legal marriage rights, whether or not they believe such unions are biblically approved.

Your numbers say 35% support it, that means 65% don't support it, that's nearly two-thirds.  I'll go with the odds.

Paula has repeatedly said how her husband is her and her family's leader.  This is not a progressive woman.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 6
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, honeydo7 said:

Jedi claimed to be an Independent, Conservative,  non-Trump supporter........yet constantly attacked Hillary Clinton, President Obama, Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi & Democratic members of Congress, while praising everything Trump has done since taking office, such as rolling-back consumer, environmental, banking & g/l/b/t/q legislation, her support of that horrible House Trump Care bill, agreeing with his plans to stop Legal Immigration & his threats to deport 800,000 Dreamers..........JB made it quite clear where she stood on those issues.  I stopped watching the Today because I found Matt Lauer's interrogation of HRC,  (her emails, the Clinton Foundation, her involvement in the death of the young DNC aide) during her appearances on the show offensive.......yet each time DJT appeared, Lauer greated him like an old friend &  treated him respectfully.

Where she has attacked the Dems, from what I've watched, she has vocally disagreed with much of what Trump has done too. 

 

Sometimes I've found Bila frustrating, yes, but she was light years better than toaster-marrying Bitsy and kissing-makes-me-uncomfortable CCB. Even if I didn't agree with her, she was at least an adult about her views. 

I like the passion Whoppi has developed since the election after she slept through several seasons, but her tendency to cut people off with the.final.word.about.every.topic (which usually devolves into word salad just as bad a Bitsy ever had it while she schools the panel, and Jed in particular), and be nasty (particularly with Sunny and Jed) is a black mark on an otherwise great panel. 

  • Love 10
Link to comment
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Paula is a born-again Christian, I can guarantee she does not support gay rights, especially marriage equality.

Unless you know her or heard her say this, you can't guarantee that.  And there are Christians that support gay marriage.  Hasn't Elisabeth mentioned being in support of gay rights.  

  • Love 7
Link to comment
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

 

As for why they won't boot Whoopi off--she's an Icon in their eyes; if the many tributes to her haven't convinced viewers, long time or casual, nothing will. She won't leave until she decides to leave.

I think the Whoopi Love originates with the bigwigs at Disney...who owns ABC Television.  They hold her in high esteem and she will leave only if she commits some horrid faux pas...or she decides (as GHScorpiosRule said).   Disney–ABC Television Group, a subsidiary of the Disney Media Networks division of The Walt Disney Company.

  • Love 6
Link to comment
1 minute ago, sugarbaker design said:

Your numbers say 35% support it, that means 65% don't support it, that's nearly two-thirds.  I'll go with the odds.

Paula has repeatedly said how her husband is her and her family's leader.  This is not a progressive woman.

Oh, absolutely, but how people choose to live their own lives and what they support legally can and do differ, sometimes. Also, 2/3rds is (to me) a bet based on the odds, not a guarantee. If memory serves, Paula is pretty vocal about at least some issues where her politics and faith overlap (e.g. issues of reproductive freedom).

I think this ties into why I'm disappointed Bila is gone from The View. I think this panel had an interesting mix. Jed is conservative where it comes to non-social political issues.

Sunny is liberal politically, but expresses a conservative bent when it comes to some social issues (in addition to her personal pro-life leanings, I'm thinking about her stance on schools making condoms available, etc.).  

To me, Paula and Sara seem like flip sides of the same coin. They both come from ABC News and are both pretty much mainstream journalists in their presentation of subjects. To me, they are both largely innocuous, and where Paula makes it clear she personally holds more conservative beliefs, Sara is the same way about her liberal leanings.

Then there's Joy who is the liberal doyen and Whoopi is the liberal who... seems to have forgotten where the exits are located. I wish the producers would watch all the Friday episodes and realize she's no longer crucial to the flow of the show (and, to me, hurts it). 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

26 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Paula has repeatedly said how her husband is her and her family's leader.  This is not a progressive woman.

She may not seem like a progressive woman on television...but someone whose religion requires that she submit to the party line...and make it appear that she does so...is one smart cookie.  Probably a subversive progressive.  Her husband probably needs to hear her confirm occasionally (on TV yet!) that he's her leader.  Yep...one smart cookie.

Edited by Former Nun
changed "proclaim" to "confirm"
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, A.J. said:

Unless you know her or heard her say this, you can't guarantee that.

Oh, I can.  Her silence on the subject is deafening.

28 minutes ago, A.J. said:

And there are Christians that support gay marriage. 

'Christians' is a huge umbrella that includes Catholics, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Methodists, Lutherans et al.  PF is specifically a born-again Christian, someone mentioned above that 35% are in favor of gay marriage while 65% are not.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I'm so tired of Fuller House on this show. CCB is gone. Why all the promotion?

Sarah seems kind of cute and innocent. She got screwed on her big 4 -0.  She needs to stop airing her hubby's personal stuff on tv though, yikes. 

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2
Link to comment
15 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

I never resent someone for doing their job, and it's perfectly possible to give the opposing viewpoint without being so abrasive and obnoxious day after day.  It was her personality, her delivery, so many other things.  I have a lot of respect for many people with viewpoints other than my own.   She was unpleasant, IMO, not articulate, overly-impressed with herself, and not at all a good fit for this show.  Speaking for myself, doing her job and having viewpoints other than my own had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I couldn't agree more.  I don't dislike people just because they have different political views than me.  It's how they express those views that will cause me to dislike them.  And for some reason this show just loves to hire obnoxious Republicans.  I didn't despise Elisabeth until she became Conservative Barbie spewing her talking points every day.    I didn't mind Nicole Wallace.  She sucked up to Whoopi a little too much but I didn't find her political views grating.  And she called Sarah Palin out for the twit she is right from the start so she will always get points for that.

And yes yes yes to all the posters who have said this show should stop pitting red against blue.  Just hire people who can have a conversation and let it flow.

  • Love 12
Link to comment
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

Oh, I can.  Her silence on the subject is deafening.

'Christians' is a huge umbrella that includes Catholics, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Methodists, Lutherans et al.  PF is specifically a born-again Christian, someone mentioned above that 35% are in favor of gay marriage while 65% are not.

None of those groups exclude "born again" or evangelical Christians, either. "Born again" isn't a denomination (like Presbyterian, Methodist, or Lutheran are), and it isn't a church (like the Roman Catholic Church or the Episcopal Church). If Jack is a born again who supports marriage equality, and he ends up at a convention with 99 other born agains, he is likely to encounter plenty of people with whom he can agree on the issue. I think both "born again" and "evangelical" have been burdened with so much socio-political crap that they've become largely useless jargon in conversations like these.

Based on Paula's religious discussions on The View, and based on her treatment of issues on The View, I can see no guarantee of her opinion on whether or not same sex couples deserve marriage equality.

I feel like I've backed you into a corner, though, and that was never my intention, so I apologize. When you initially claimed you could guarantee Paula was opposed to marriage equality, based on her faith, I thought you knew or had read/heard something to guarantee it, and I wanted to know what that was. Now I understand it is an assumption you were comfortable on asserting, based on the odds. 

Edited by General Days
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Let's move on past the discussion on a host's views on gay marriage and how that relates to their religion unless the host comments on their view. Otherwise, you are making sweeping statements and generalizations.

Thank you.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...