Type keyword(s) to search

9-1-1 in the Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

On 5/15/2018 at 7:27 PM, SterlingSilver36 said:

I'm sorry to read that. JLH is not my cup of tea.

Same.

I didn't seriously watch the show, but liked Britton, Krause and Bassett and would've given S2 a try to see how they worked out the loss of Britton. I have no desire to see Hewitt in anything. 

• Love 3

Well, that’s disappointing about Connie. Her character was the calm, unflappable center of the show. Although, now her character won’t be sucked into Mister Man Pain Angst I Killed My Family (as much as I really like the chemistry of the 2 actors, I believe Abby deserves/d better than someone just counting down the good deeds on his balance sheet till his judgement day.)

On 5/15/2018 at 7:27 PM, SterlingSilver36 said:

I'm sorry to read that. JLH is not my cup of tea.

There's something about her that I still kind of like (just listened to her only podcast interview with Michael Rosenbaum- it was good).  But, she NEVER is without her nails and fake eyelashes and I swear it's in her contracts that she gets to wear them so it'll be interesting to see what this character's stylizing is.  

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:36 PM, Whimsy said:

There's something about her that I still kind of like (just listened to her only podcast interview with Michael Rosenbaum- it was good).  But, she NEVER is without her nails and fake eyelashes and I swear it's in her contracts that she gets to wear them so it'll be interesting to see what this character's stylizing is.  

I have a friend who always wears fake eyelashes, & it's because she doesn't have any eyelashes. In the promos she definitely isn't full on makeup. They don't show her nails, so...And I never really noticed them on her other shows.

So this season was orginally supposed to be 16 episodes (not sure where I read that), but now it's been extended to 18 episodes. Good news, although not really sure how accurate this is considering there's no actual link.

I just saw the preview for the rest of the season during The Passage. It is very intriguing.

Spoiler

Looks like Maddie's husband stabs Chimney. There was also a funeral for a firefighter.

Edited by SimoneS
Corrected name.
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I just saw the preview for the rest of the season during The Passage. It is very intriguing.

Reveal spoiler

Looks like Maddie's husband stabs Chewy. There was also a funeral for a firefighter.

I don't think there is anybody with that name on the show 😊, but I think I might know who you are referring to.

Love posted this to her Instagram:

That had to be such a wild experience. I really hope this gig leads to some good work for Brian Hallisay. He deserves to be more than just a short guest gig guy, which has been more or less his career.

• Love 5
On 4/5/2019 at 7:07 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Love posted this to her Instagram:

That had to be such a wild experience. I really hope this gig leads to some good work for Brian Hallisay. He deserves to be more than just a short guest gig guy, which has been more or less his career.

I know it sounds weird to say, with all their bloody make-up on and everything, but that's actually a great pic of them!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Court said:

I'll check it out because I always need Rob Lowe on my TV. I'm one of maybe 5 people who watched and desperately miss Grinder. 

I don't need Rob Lowe on TV but I loved the Grinder.

A different location is okay but I guess I would have preferred somewhere with snow.

• Love 1

Great interview with Tim Minear, the showrunner about the finale. It sounds like Eddie is staying in LA. I agree with his rationale for killing Shannon.

Here’s the honest truth: A lot of the audience had trouble accepting her because of Eddie’s origin story, of how he came into this world with Christopher. [Ryan Guzman] and [Gavin McHugh] are magical on screen, so anyone who would walk away from that little boy — even if we hadn’t met her yet — was going to be facing an uphill battle with the audience. I saw a lot of fan reaction to the character. I did it make Eddie’s character more interesting and give him something to react against. He’s this single dad, a war hero, he doesn’t have that toxic masculinity — he was almost too perfect of a character. [sic]

https://tvline.com/2019/05/13/911-recap-season-2-episode-18-finale-bobby-athena-married/

• Love 2

I suspected as much.  I suspected they did the heel turn on Shannon after trying to rehab her character because they had already soured her back-story with the fans and could never make up the ground.  Also the actress simply, imo, could not convey warmth or remorse so a redemption arc just couldn't work with her.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Idiotboy said:

Am I wrong to believe that the Lowe-powered spinoff bodes well for renewal of the mothership?

I believe it's FOX's #1 drama. It was already renewed for the upcoming season. It's doubtful they would have greenlit a spinoff if they didn't believe in the original.

9-1-1: Lone Star   10:00 PM      FOX     January 19, 2020

FOX'S #1 drama, 9-1-1, expands its reach to the city of Austin, TX, with new installment, 9-1-1: LONE STAR, starring Rob Lowe. 9-1-1: LONE STAR debuts with a special two-night event beginning Sunday, Jan. 19, following the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP, and continuing with its time period premiere on Monday, Jan. 20. From 9-1-1 co-creators Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk and Tim Minear, 9-1-1: LONE STAR follows a sophisticated New York cop (Lowe), who, along with his son, re-locates, and must try to balance saving those who are at their most vulnerable with solving the problems in his own life.

• Love 1

Good news. 9-1-1 is tied for the highest rating in the key 18 to 49 year old demo, 1.6, for scripted show on network tv with This is Us. Very cool.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

Yeah, I think they had an increase or stayed steady. Definitely see season 4 renewal coming.

That may be an interesting question.  Fox no longer owns the show; Disney does.  As the media companies have gotten bigger and bigger, the trend as become the networks largely or exclusively airing shows that the parent company produces.  So I wouldn't be surprised if this jumped to ABC or became a Hulu exclusive.

That said, the actual Fox Network doesn't produce many scripted shows at the moment, so most of their lineup comes from elsewhere.  But they've also said they're going to focus on sports and reality shows for now.

18 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Heh. Oliver Stark addresses fans' desires for Buck/Eddie relationship

I actually had a good chuckle that he felt the need to address it. I like Buck/Eddie and the potential, but was always fine with whatever way they would go with it. 

Nothing spoilery here on whether or not it'll happen. My guess is that it'll stay a (deeply intimate) bromance, which is still fine with me.

I really want them to stay a bromance. IMO, It's just as good/necessary to see real male friendship with open affection and no sexual/romantic involvement depicted as it is to have gay relationships. I love them as friends/besties. And I get that many people don't come out or even acknowledge their sexuality to themselves until later in life, there has been no indication for either of these men having been gay or bi outside of their relationship with each other. It just wouldn't ring true to me.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I really want them to stay a bromance. IMO, It's just as good/necessary to see real male friendship with open affection and no sexual/romantic involvement depicted as it is to have gay relationships. I love them as friends/besties. And I get that many people don't come out or even acknowledge their sexuality to themselves until later in life, there has been no indication for either of these men having been gay or bi outside of their relationship with each other. It just wouldn't ring true to me.

I get this and I do agree, mostly. I like their friendship a lot. I do think that, if there has been indication of one of them with a more fluid sexuality, it would be Buck. It helps that his past is mostly a mystery and I think Oliver Stark portrays the love portion of their relationship better than Ryan Guzman (Oliver is very expressive in his facial expressions and body language). 

But yeah, their friendship is perfect just the way that it is. They can remain a platonic family unit with Christopher.

• Love 4
On 12/4/2019 at 3:04 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I see people saying that they're clearly straight, but I don't think that's been established at all. No, we haven't seen either of them date a guy or express interest in one, but Eddie hasn't really shown any interest in women outside of Shannon (and even then, it seemed more like he was trying to make things work for Christopher's sake than anything else), and Buck's overcompensation with women wouldn't be super unusual behavior for a guy who's in denial. So I could buy either of them as straight up gay, and of course bisexuality is a thing, too, as well as fluid/mostly straight with an exception or two. There are multiple different ways it could be handled that I think would make sense and wouldn't contradict their characterization thus far.

Some of their scenes have clearly been shot in a traditionally romantic way (and people involved with the show have confirmed as much in interviews) and I personally think they do have (romantic) chemistry. I just feel like if the same interactions and dialogue were happening between male and female characters there wouldn't even be a question of whether or not they would get together.

Whether it's going to happen, I don't know. I actually almost want to say I hope it doesn't, solely for the fact that I don't like the way most TV writers handle romance, but if it was well done, it could be interesting.

To have two characters that people have become invested in, and who aren't stereotypes, end up in a same sex relationship, rather than ones who were put in the "the gay character" box from the start (and could therefore be dismissed as characters not to get invested in for a certain segment of the audience) is important. There have been studies that show that media can make a big difference in increasing acceptance of LGBT+ people (even for all its faults, Will & Grace is one of the most common examples of a show making a big difference) and for people to see just regular dudes liking other dudes and it not being a huge deal or fundamentally changing who they are is an important thing, in my opinion.

Then of course there's the fact bisexuality is so underrepresented in media (especially among men) and fluidity/not using labels is pretty much completely unheard of, and it would be something pretty unique if they chose to go in that direction. Even just "regular old gay" is something that could use more positive representation.

Male friendship is one of the most widely represented types of relationships in all forms of media going back literally a century, and just about every popular show and movie out there these days has a bromance, so the "why can't men just be friends?!" argument just doesn't work for me (and to be completely honest, rubs me the wrong way), as if there are M/M romances everywhere and there's some dearth of platonic male relationships, but obviously, as with everything, mileage varies.

• Love 1
On 5/11/2020 at 7:18 AM, Kip Hackman said:

9-1-1 Moved to Midseason

Not really a surprise, considering the uncertainty about when they'll be able to start shooting again.

I guess a bunch of new 3 camera sitcoms would be about the only shows ready to go for a new TV season at this point. Along with bringing imports in as new to Americans had been done during past strikes.

However now many of those shows are being expended on streaming services long before a big broadcast network could pass something like Flashpoint out of Canada as "new" content like CBS once did.

31 minutes ago, Raja said:

However now many of those shows are being expended on streaming services long before a big broadcast network could pass something like Flashpoint out of Canada as "new" content like CBS once did.

NBC already picked up one, Transplant,  which is set in Toronto same as Flashpoint. It's a medical drama in which the lead is a Syrian refugee adjusting to life in Canada. Some of the acting is questionable,  but it's a decent enough show.  

• Useful 2
On 12/15/2019 at 7:10 PM, marina707 said:

I see people saying that they're clearly straight, but I don't think that's been established at all. No, we haven't seen either of them date a guy or express interest in one, but Eddie hasn't really shown any interest in women outside of Shannon (and even then, it seemed more like he was trying to make things work for Christopher's sake than anything else), and Buck's overcompensation with women wouldn't be super unusual behavior for a guy who's in denial. So I could buy either of them as straight up gay, and of course bisexuality is a thing, too, as well as fluid/mostly straight with an exception or two. There are multiple different ways it could be handled that I think would make sense and wouldn't contradict their characterization thus far.

Some of their scenes have clearly been shot in a traditionally romantic way (and people involved with the show have confirmed as much in interviews) and I personally think they do have (romantic) chemistry. I just feel like if the same interactions and dialogue were happening between male and female characters there wouldn't even be a question of whether or not they would get together.

Whether it's going to happen, I don't know. I actually almost want to say I hope it doesn't, solely for the fact that I don't like the way most TV writers handle romance, but if it was well done, it could be interesting.

To have two characters that people have become invested in, and who aren't stereotypes, end up in a same sex relationship, rather than ones who were put in the "the gay character" box from the start (and could therefore be dismissed as characters not to get invested in for a certain segment of the audience) is important. There have been studies that show that media can make a big difference in increasing acceptance of LGBT+ people (even for all its faults, Will & Grace is one of the most common examples of a show making a big difference) and for people to see just regular dudes liking other dudes and it not being a huge deal or fundamentally changing who they are is an important thing, in my opinion.

Then of course there's the fact bisexuality is so underrepresented in media (especially among men) and fluidity/not using labels is pretty much completely unheard of, and it would be something pretty unique if they chose to go in that direction. Even just "regular old gay" is something that could use more positive representation.

Male friendship is one of the most widely represented types of relationships in all forms of media going back literally a century, and just about every popular show and movie out there these days has a bromance, so the "why can't men just be friends?!" argument just doesn't work for me (and to be completely honest, rubs me the wrong way), as if there are M/M romances everywhere and there's some dearth of platonic male relationships, but obviously, as with everything, mileage varies.

I think there is a dearth of M/M friends who are portrayed as more than bros who like the same beer and sports teams. The type of relationships that Buck and Eddie have is rare on television. Men's relationships are often depicted as shallow or distant its part of the whole men can't deal with their emotions stereotype. So Buck and Eddie going through big emotional traumas and talking them through is huge. Compare the amount of time spent on the men's relationships on Friends or Grey's Anatomy compared to the female friendships. Stereotypes come in many forms and the idea that any deeper male relationship must be a romantic one is a damaging one in its own right.

Representation isn't a zero sum game, having Buck and Eddie as straight doesn't actually take anything away from the LGBT community. The writers have acknowledged the fans but aren't required to rewrite their story to appease them. I have always found it very entitled when slash fans call writers "homophobic" for not giving them the story they want. That's not how television works its not a conspiracy its often that the writer's have plan we are not privy to. Personally I think TPTB want Buck to be free and single so he can do the romance of the week when its needed to spice things up.

Bisexuality is under represented but I don't really see any indication either character is bi. If there was the episode with the older gay couple would have been the perfect moment to show one or the other was hiding something or some feelings. But Buck is very much an open book and seems a bit to comfortable in his own skin to be over compensating. Eddie is harder to read but I think his flirtation with the school teacher shows where they are going with his character.

• Love 9