Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E05: Baby Brain

SuzWhat

Jeff Lewis refuses to let his newborn slow him down.  He plans to move into his New Hollywood project to make room for construction to finish at Valley Vista.  Gage continues to lag behind, as Jeff wonders if the tension between them will ever subside.  

Poor Chaz Dean!  But was that dye on his hair?  I hope so.  

I think it was hair color on Chaz's hair. It was a weird color, though. Gage just needs to be a stay at home Dad. Or let the Nanny do her job. I wonder if Gage's interference is the reason they went through nannies. I get that it would be hard to have to hear your baby crying and let someone else handle it (the nanny) but that is why she is getting paid. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cincivic said:

I think it was hair color on Chaz's hair. It was a weird color, though. Gage just needs to be a stay at home Dad. Or let the Nanny do her job. I wonder if Gage's interference is the reason they went through nannies. I get that it would be hard to have to hear your baby crying and let someone else handle it (the nanny) but that is why she is getting paid. 

I'm sure it's difficult to hear your child cry and not go to them, but that is one of the reasons working from home is  not always the best choice. 

I was glad that Jeff revealed that he had told Gage that if he wanted to be a full time dad, that Jeff would  hire someone to take over Gage's work duties.  Gage insists that he wants to work also. But that's way Jeff is frustrated . Gage has one foot in each area and nothing is getting done the right way.

nice that they seemed to have turned a corner at the end and things are getting better. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, cincivic said:

Yeah.  I suspect that Gage is very insecure about the baby's care and he can't let go of things so that he can get some time to refuel his tank.  It's not healthy to stay all uptight for so long and not relinquishing any control.....Yeah, Jeff is a control freak too, but, it seems that Gage is when it comes to the baby.  I wonder if they have ruled out medical problems, they have considered that being so uptight and not letting Monroe cry it out sometimes, might be making her more miserable?

I see Jeff's side on some things, but, then I see Gage's.  One of my pet peeves is people who treat their dogs to human food, especially at the table and then feign annoyance when the dogs beg for human food.  It drives me crazy.  You just can't do it, and then want the dog to turn it off.  You have to be firm and consistent and you won't have begging, barking dogs during meal time.  WHY is that so hard for people to get?  There is enough commotion in that house without Jeff egging on the dogs.  I wonder what they'll do with the dogs when Monroe starts walking.....they may have to re-home the dogs. 

I really can't see Jeff and Gage staying as a couple.  AND since they are not married, I fear that Gage is not financially able to leave.  I mean, he may have Bravo money, but, how long would that last?  And if he hasn't adopted Monroe, then, he won't be entitled to child support from Jeff.  He's in a rough spot, unless he has a contract with Jeff on money matters. 

They remind me of some of the other tv couples who broke up, like Matt and Amy Roloff, Jon and Kate Gosselin,  Bethenny Frankel and Jason, etc.   I just can't see it.  AND why is Jenny rooting for them to hang in there?  They have been miserable for years, long before the baby came.  I suspect that perhaps this move, may be a way to establish a separate place for Gage.  Recall Jeff said it aloud last night.  That they could co-parent with Jeff living next door.  It seems it's now Jeff's vision for them to separate. It might be a plot device, but, it sure seems real to me. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, iwasish said:

I'm sure it's difficult to hear your child cry and not go to them, but that is one of the reasons working from home is  not always the best choice. 

And I thought it was why nannies were hired.  In any case they should move the business to another venue, and also turn off the baby monitors.  

I was glad that Jeff revealed that he had told Gage that if he wanted to be a full time dad, that Jeff would  hire someone to take over Gage's work duties.  Gage insists that he wants to work also. But that's way Jeff is frustrated . Gage has one foot in each area and nothing is getting done the right way.

It's Jeff's business.  If Jeff feels Gge cannot do his job right now he should order him to take a leave of absence.  

Isn't this Episode 5?  We have two threads called episode 4 now. . . .

Edited by Sprockets
typo
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

And if he hasn't adopted Monroe, then, he won't be entitled to child support from Jeff.

Child support? Jeff would never give primary custody to Gage. Monroe is his biological daughter. He would hire a full time nanny to care for Monroe. 

I have never seen a more miserable couple in my life. It was extremely painful to watch. 

• Love 5

I noticed that the baby is slightly propped up much of the time when she's awake.

Lea Black was on Real Housewives of Miami and she's married to Roy Black, an attorney who has defended William Kennedy Smith, Rush Limbaugh, Joe Francis and Justin Bieber. No wonder Lea repeatedly requested iced tea - she's very thirsty.

It seemed to me that Jeff's therapist was putting words in his mouth to make him look sympathetic on TV.

Chaz's business complex renovation has been one of the few projects I've liked. What a shame they have to start all over.

I don't blame Gage for not wanting to be a fulltime SAHD. Anyone in that position loses ground financially and professionally and he knows it. If he stopped working Jeff would control him completely through finances. Also, Jeff would nag Gage for not working and still depend on him for business stuff.

In other news, Jeff is still an asshole. He relentlessly pokes at Gage. It's a wonder Gage hasn't clocked him. Gage could blame it on exhaustion and baby anxiety.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 5

It was a really difficult episode to watch.  After years of trying to have a child it comes to this end.  However, I felt sympathetic for Gage.  It's strange because Gage has finally been coming out of his shell and I'm really liking him.  Between the baby and his employment he's stuck between a rock and a hard place.  What is he going to do walk away from everything? 

If my partner ever spoke to me the way Jeff did about moving the car when the tree trimmers were there, I would have a problem.  We know this must go on all the time.  Then when he brought up about having more, younger guys around, he's the biological dad, he controls all the money!  

It seems they have been working on the Chaz Dean bungalows since the show started.  But the penny fountain thing at least brought a little humor to an otherwise disturbing episode.  I'll be anxious to see the final product.

I also have to say I cannot stand Lea Black.

Edited by Emmeline
  • Love 5

If this were 15 or 20 years ago very few of us would have known about Jeff and Gage, or any of the real (?) housewives, or any other person on a "reality" show unless we actually knew them personally.  The breakups probably still would have happened but the general public would not have known.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Jeff may be entertaining on many levels, but he is, at the core, a horrible human being.  Which makes me feel very bad for Gage.

I've watched the series from the beginning and this season I am finlly certain you are correct.  Jeff is a very angry, hurt, troubled person and everyone he comes into contact with suffers, sooner or later.  That poor baby.  

1 hour ago, Emmeline said:

I also have to say I cannot stand Lea Black.

Really?  You don't like loud and crude?  Seriously, she's just dismal.  

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

Oh, God, now I remember why I quit watching this show a few seasons ago. I tuned in again because I was interested in the baby, but it's all so stressful and depressing. Not what I need when I'm trying to unwind and relax.

I see what your saying.  I use to enjoy all the Bravo shows for something mindless before bed.  Somehow they missed the mark on how much turmoil we want before bed.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

I see what your saying.  I use to enjoy all the Bravo shows for something mindless before bed.  Somehow they missed the mark on how much turmoil we want before bed.

Exactly, Emmeline. I used to watch all the Bravo shows, especially housewives, but I just cannot with all the drama, drama, drama.

• Love 1

Famewhore Leah Black- didn't like her on RHOM and don't like her on this show. She really is impressed with herself. Laughing at all her own lame jokes, ugggghhhh! How did she ever manage to get Jeff to agree to make her a part of this season? And...who the hell does she think she is letting her dog sit on the sofa in the furniture store and feed him right there on the sofa? Entitled much? As the saying goes, "money doesn't buy you class".

• Love 7

I thought this episode was so crazy scripted and pasted together that it made me once again realize that Gage, Jeff, Monroe are all fine and going strong on real life.

Watching Jenny's belly is a great way to see shenanigans with the editing. Monroe was born Oct. 25th, Jenny's daughter June 9th.

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

When Lea was talking about hiring skinny bartenders to fit behind the bar,  did she really say "if they're fat, I wouldn't hire (like?) them anyway"?   

She's such an asshole. 

I believe she actually said something like "Skinny on the bottom, with big TITS".  As if I couldn't hate her any more.

I became Bravo's bitch before they were Housewives ... Queer Eye For The Straight Guy hooked me.  Anyone else remember happy endings?  :-(

• Love 3
7 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Child support? Jeff would never give primary custody to Gage. Monroe is his biological daughter. He would hire a full time nanny to care for Monroe. 

I have never seen a more miserable couple in my life. It was extremely painful to watch. 

It would be in order, if both of them are legal parents.  Even if they share custody.  Usually, the parent with a larger income will pay the other parent some money.  That calculation may be done by state builtin formula, but, with people who have very large incomes, they often go by the child's expenses and the parent's ability to pay. 

I don't think Jeff and Gage are happy at all.  Not even a little bit.   I recall the year before I broke up with my finance.  I thought about it and planned it in my head for at least a year.  I didn't want to make a mistake.  But, when you are thinking of leaving that often.....it's NOT a good sign.   Ups and downs are normal, but, not that much discontentment. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

It was fine to have the business office in Jeff's house before the baby was born.  Now that the baby is here he really needs to move the business office into a separate space.  Having all that chaos around a newborn's home is not good for the baby, especially if the baby is having health issues.  I can't imagine allowing so many relative strangers in my baby's home on a daily basis.  Baby's need a calm, safe and peaceful home because they do pick up on the stressors in the home.  Don't get me started on the fact that Jeff HAD to do a complete renovation of the house just before the baby was born.  I can't blame Gage for being distracted by the baby's cries while he is trying to work.  He is beyond exhausted because the baby is sick and in pain.  If my child cried the way she does, I would stop working and try to comfort her myself.  I could not tune it out and say "Oh well, that's what the nanny is for."  Jeff expects the baby to adapt to HIS life and business.  He needs to get a clue to the fact that he needs to change his lifestyle and business practices so HE can adapt to having a baby.   

• Love 8
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don't think Jeff and Gage are happy at all.  Not even a little bit. . . But, when you are thinking of leaving that often.....it's NOT a good sign.   Ups and downs are normal, but, not that much discontentment. 

Agreed.  I don't see anything that keeps them together.  And I was appalled when Jeff told his therapist he thinks most couples probably think about their breakup, because no.  

• Love 1

Why is this baby almost always in bed? Too old for that now! And we don't see snippets of "family life" either - except for the walk at the end (unless I missed something).

Why are we not seeing all the latest contraptions to include the baby with the parents/family? My niece had a baby 12/15 and her kid was never all alone (with a ghost nanny) all day. And she had heartburn too. Why don't they show the nannies and bond with them to see if they can trust them to do their job?

Jeff seems to not be fazed much about Monroe's well being and Gage's empathy. But what is new - Jeff has a very high turnover and is terribly snarky to all of them.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

Why is this baby almost always in bed? Too old for that now

Jeff talked about limiting filming time for her. We see very little of her. We make it to Valentines day in the next episode so she is less than 4 months.

• Love 3

I can never tell what's real or scripted drama on this show. I thought the Vanina fight was just for drama, then damned if she doesn't actually leave. Now the stuff with Gage. Either way. Jeff sure is willing to look like an ass on TV. Then he says he poured his heart out to Gage over dinner and all is well. How come we don't get to see that? It's not like they care about privacy, I mean, we were in the damn birthing room! Maybe Jeff can't bear to be vulnerable on camera. Maybe it is all just an act. Or maybe he really is a high functioning sociopath. Who knows?!  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Why are we not seeing all the latest contraptions to include the baby with the parents/family? My niece had a baby 12/15 and her kid was never all alone (with a ghost nanny) all day. 

I'm sorry. What does this mean about being alone?

I can never tell what's real or scripted drama on this show. I thought the Vanina fight was just for drama, then damned if she doesn't actually leave. Now the stuff with Gage. Either way. Jeff sure is willing to look like an ass on TV. Then he says he poured his heart out to Gage over dinner and all is well. How come we don't get to see that? It's not like they care about privacy, I mean, we were in the damn birthing room! Maybe Jeff can't bear to be vulnerable on camera. Maybe it is all just an act. Or maybe he really is a high functioning sociopath. Who knows?!

I've thought this for awhile...that Jeff doesn't want to look weak on camera, and that he sees showing affection as a sign of weakness. 

I wonder, when Jeff poured his heart out at Valentine's dinner, if Gage had a chance to do the same. It doesn't really seem like Jeff has trouble expressing how he feels, but Gage bottles it up. He's getting a taste of that working parent, you can never measure up, "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing that so many mothers know intimately. I think on some level Gage didn't quite see that coming. I'm reluctant to call what he's feeling postpartum depression exactly, because major hormonal shifts contribute to postpartum depression and obviously that's not part of Gage's experience, but the fact that a baby you wanted with all of your heart can totally fuck up your routine and your identity and your relationship is hitting him square between the eyes. And I think lots of new parents feel that way, even when their partners are being kind and supportive (unlike Jeff). 

• Love 5

I'm with Bichonblitz on the subject of Lea feeding her dog in a furniture showroom. That was just a no. I'm sure if Jeff didn't do so much business there that they would have been asked to leave.  Most dogs usually need to 'go' after eating so I hope the pup made it outside for a break before being put back in its purse/carrier. 

I agree with Gage that Jeff feeding the dog people food when it barks at his feet only reinforces the notion that 'if I stay here and bark, I will get fed'. When I'm eating at people's homes and their dogs beg at my side, I find it annoying. I especially dislike this one dog that plants its face in my lap disturbing my napkin and it's not so subtle begging. 

• Love 6

My gut feeling is that Jeff and Gage will be fine in the long run.  Both of them have to learn and adapt to being parents and we know how well Jeff responds to having to adapt.  No book can ever truly prepare you for the demands of a baby and doubts about your ability to parent will only go away with experience.

I do think that we are seeing the worst of the worst with this.  Jeff Lewis  (unlike many of the Real Housewives) knows what Bravo wants in a show - conflict.  And he is just the guy to provide plenty of it.

I didn't Lea Black so much because at least she brought some personality with her.  Now I hated her entitled feelings about her dog but at least we have something to gripe about.  A lot of Jeff's clients and Vanina are so vanilla, so nice, so boring.

• Love 2
On 9/15/2017 at 3:35 PM, Emmeline said:

No don't because that was a bit before my time.  How did it work out?

Queer Eye was able to bring snark & funny to the table without cruelty. "The gays" made guys a little better, and me a little happier, for a while.

On 9/15/2017 at 4:02 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

It would be in order, if both of them are legal parents.  Even if they share custody.  Usually, the parent with a larger income will pay the other parent some money.  That calculation may be done by state builtin formula, but, with people who have very large incomes, they often go by the child's expenses and the parent's ability to pay. 

I don't think Jeff and Gage are happy at all.  Not even a little bit.   I recall the year before I broke up with my finance.  I thought about it and planned it in my head for at least a year.  I didn't want to make a mistake.  But, when you are thinking of leaving that often.....it's NOT a good sign.   Ups and downs are normal, but, not that much discontentment. 

Yeah, my finances & I had a parting of the ways, too.  ;-)  *

*Coincidentally how I extricated myself from the worst relationship ever.  My shrink told me she'd be bringing flowers to my hospital bed, or to my grave. It took more than a year of careful planning and a whole lot of money to get me out, physically unscathed.

Jeff could bring back  the olden days, when bundling boards were a thing.  Pillow moat?

• Love 2
On 9/16/2017 at 11:00 AM, TVbitch said:

I was married to someone who is a replica of Jeff, personality-wise, and I can almost say with 100% confidence that the acrimony between Jeff and Gage is not staged -- perhaps some of it is, but on balance, no.   

When Jeff indicated that he let it all out (accompanied by a vomiting gesture)  to Gage during dinner I interpreted it in a negative way.  It seemed to indicate that he used the dinner as an opportunity to release all of those resentments that have been brewing inside him.  I suspect Gage was treated to a relentless critical tirade regarding his inadequacies (Jeff's perspective).  If all was well it was only in the sense that Jeff felt satiated after unloading some of that anger he'd been harboring towards Gage.  

It was also interesting to note the absence of anything remotely romantic, including that sad presentation of flowers that appeared at some point - you know, the ones that showed up without so much as a card? I wonder if Gage was hoping they'd actually come from a secret admirer.

Edited by StayingAfterSunday
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, StayingAfterSunday said:

If all was well it was only in the sense that Jeff felt satiated after unloading some of that anger he'd been harboring towards Gage.  

Yes.  It isn't possible to believe Jeff suddenly learned to communicate in a healthy, effective way, or that anything was resolved in a public restaurant.  

3 minutes ago, StayingAfterSunday said:

It was interesting to note the absence of anything remotely romantic, including that sad presentation of flowers that appeared during dinner - you know, the ones that showed up without so much as a card? I wonder if Gage was hoping they'd actually come from a secret admirer.

And Jeff said something about not having time for a card, ha ha.  I bet he had Jenny or Megan order them.  Or maybe Zoila got them at the grocery store when she went out for cat food - wait, does she leave the house?  

I also sense the very real and deep dysfunction here.  The relationship between Jeff and Gage is not loving, and Gage's needs are being neglected.  Next time he should pick a healthy human being.  

• Love 2

Ok, let me just offer another view.  No one in the world can meet Gage's needs.  He refused to take baby leave but refuses to leave the baby.  Sitting at your desk, at work, staring at a camera feed of your baby crying is not healthy.  I'm sure they lost a nanny a week.  He needs to see a therapist.  Someone that will help him understand that he just might be the kind of person that should take 6 months to just take care of the baby.  It appears that the nanny comes at 9 AM.  Gage has 7-9 AM and he is telling Jeff that if Jeff took that time then he could get his work done?  Yeah, no.  I would blame this on the edit monkeys but one look at Gage said he was falling apart.  And it's not Jeff.  It is the stress of the baby.  I can't even imagine what parents have to live through when a baby has colic.  But I do know that it is a full time job.  It was 6 months before my friend's baby grew out of it.  Both she and her husband exhausted their family leave, PTO and pretty much every thing else.  They did work out  rotating months since the caregiver at home all day pretty much needed a padded room.

So is Jeff a warm soul.  Oh hell no.  But he is the same person he was before the baby.  Gage on the other hand is an incompetent employee.  Someone that would be fired if they weren't Jeff's partner.

So I hope they make it through this stage of Monroe's life.  I hope that Gage can get back to normal.  I hope that Jeff has the patience to wait.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

But he is the same person he was before the baby.

I didn't think they were doing well then.  I was not factoring in the current situation when I gave my thoughts about the relationship.  Gage is very, very bad at speaking up for himself, and Jeff is very, very bad at hearing other people.  Baby or no baby, I don't see it working.  They both seemed miserable before the baby, and they won't be the first couple to find out that stress makes existing issues much worse.  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Willowsmom said:

Jeff wants the life they had. that's gone

Does he?  It wasn't such a great life.  But he sure doesn't seem to be making much room in his life for the baby.  I don't think either of them had any clue what they were getting into.  

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

I don't think either of them had any clue what they were getting into.  

some people are more mellow than others in dealing with the changes. Jeff does not seem one little bit mellow. 

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 2

I thought that Jeff and Gage were in crisis mode before they started with the baby talk.  So, now, it's even more unhealthy, imo.  I'm not sure if it matters who is causing the discord.  They both seem to have their share of issues and I can see it both ways.  I think they are both difficult to deal with, but in different ways. Working along side your significant other is a risky thing.  I've never thought it was a good idea, though, it works fine for some.  

Can someone remind me what Gage's educational and business background is?  Does he have a college degree and/or other experience in business affairs? Would he be employable to others? 

I normally don't diss people's attempts at kindness, but, that flower arrangement looked pretty skimpy.  I mean, they looked okay if you picked them from your yard, but, if you received them from a professional florist.....oh my....not good.  Maybe, it was the $39.00 bouquet and they were running short on Valentine's Day. lol  I might have preferred a box of chocolates. lol

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Can someone remind me what Gage's educational and business background is?  Does he have a college degree and/or other experience in business affairs? Would he be employable to others? 

I cannot remember his surna,e now, but if you google him you will find all the info.  I seem to remember he is into public speaking, does his own stuff, etc.  Pretty sure he doesn't need Jeff in his life to keep from starving.  

• Love 1

This is funny.  I was asking the same questions about Gage long ago. lol  Here's a link from the Gage thread.  Apparently, little is known about the guy.  Hmmm.....makes me wonder.  I'm not sure that I've seen anything that makes me think that Gage is highly employable.  No doubt, he's gotten experience in working with Jeff's group, but, considering the dysfunction in that place....it's not the greatest thing for a resume, in my mind.  I wonder if he's put all his eggs into one basket. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

Back to the decorating-- I thought that "versatile" couch was ridiculous. The "back rest" was loose-- All I can imagine is that as soon as someone leans back on it (people still *do* that, don't they?) it will slide backwards. I guess if people only "perch" on your couch it could work, but do people really live that way?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Sprockets said:

I cannot remember his surna,e now, but if you google him you will find all the info.  I seem to remember he is into public speaking, does his own stuff, etc.  Pretty sure he doesn't need Jeff in his life to keep from starving.  

He goes by the name, "Gage Edward."  He's about 13 or 14 years younger than Jeff, but Jeff tells Jenni that Gage is "not that much younger."

I agree that Gage will have no trouble finding employment sans Jeff, but his exposure via "Flipping Out" surely won't hurt his chances.  Maybe he'll work in the real-estate sector.  

Regarding the subject of what Gage wants to be doing, work-wise, right now, I believe Jeff is right when he says that he thinks Gage would like to stay home with the baby.  Jeff seems to say that he wouldn't have hired all that child-care help if Gage had just been up front with him from the beginning about wanting to stay home with Monroe.  

Gage knows that if he did express his preference to stay home rather than be on the job with Jeff and the gang, he would be treated to Jeff's daily dose of disparaging comments comparing his stressful day at work to Gage's life of ease, and reminding Gage that he (Jeff) is the one bringing home the money. He may fear that telling Jeff his true desires would discredit him as a person in Jeff's eyes. I don't think Jeff views stay-at-home parents in quite the same way as he does those who work outside the home.  I feel sorry for Gage because I can see the anguish festering behind his stoic facade. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, StayingAfterSunday said:

Gage knows that if he did express his preference to stay home rather than be on the job with Jeff and the gang, he would be treated to Jeff's daily dose of disparaging comments comparing his stressful day at work to Gage's life of ease, and reminding Gage that he (Jeff) is the one bringing home the money. He may fear that telling Jeff his true desires would discredit him as a person in Jeff's eyes.

At this point in the relationship I doubt Gage is in touch with his own needs, because Jeff has trampled them for so long.  Gage certainly doesn't speak up for himself.  Also, any caring person can take care of a newborn, whereas only Gage can do his job.  So I'm nearly certain Jeff wouldn't let him be a full-time parent even if Gage did realize it's what he wants and if he communicated it.  In Jeffworld, there is no room for anyone else's needs.  

• Love 1

I'm thinking that Gage's attachment to Munroe hit him like a ton of bricks.  No one could possibly foresee the impact a new baby would have on their life, especially two single guys.  Gage got sucked in (in a good way) & his loyalties are torn.  For Jeff, it's business as usual.  Just sayin'.

• Love 7

Do we know why no one from Gage's family has come to visit the new baby (linked thread above said he had a brother)?  Even if they didn't want to be on camera, it seems like a throw-away line about them visiting would have worked. I find it odd that Gage seems to have little identity outside of Jeff, which explains the weird masochistic thing between them. Even when he "stands up" for himself, it's tempered without any consequence behind it.

Oh, and Jeff was a straight up asshole in that flashback of him saying he would have a line of boys at the ready if he left Gage. What a toxic environment for Monroe to grow up in. Unless Jeff turns her into a mini-me and then she and Jeff gang up on Gage!

• Love 2