Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, LPBWfan said:

I think the main gist that people are dogging on the twins for is that they don't come around to help out their dad/help out on the farm as much. Jer and Auj don't seem like they come around to visit family as often. And if Jer really wanted to take over the farm then he should have been learning the ropes. 

I try not to “dog” on them but I don’t like what I see. I see kids that feel entitled. Not so much Z but Jer thinks everything should be his...now. That means the business, the farm, the large house and to keep this nice income that he is receiving. At least Zach is working at the soccer place and I applaud him for that. I think that once she sees how much their baby is going to need that Tori will go back to teaching as I believe she’s probably very good with children and likes it. Molly and Jacob are out living non-entitled lives of their own. Yes, I think that both boys should be over to help at the farm. Their parents worked hard at giving them their wonderful lives and it wouldn’t hurt for them to work off some of that appreciation. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Z/T make about 10k each per episode 

J/A make about 10k each per episode 

The parents make about the same. 

Chris and Caryn make around 3-5k per episode 

Would you mind giving the source of the info or it is a personal guess?

• Love 3
Just now, Absolom said:

Would you mind giving the source of the info or it is a personal guess?

I googled it and it came up on a few sites. All the sites made the disclaimer that they (TLC) do not disclose the pay for any of its reality stars. I’m sorry that I can’t post links or I would have. Google:  Roloff TLC Salary 

43 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I googled it and it came up on a few sites. All the sites made the disclaimer that they (TLC) do not disclose the pay for any of its reality stars. I’m sorry that I can’t post links or I would have. Google:  Roloff TLC Salary 

Thanks.  I don't need to Google.  There happens to be someone in my house today who has read TLC contracts.  :) 

• Love 3

It was extremely odd that Matt kept saying repeatedly that the twins couldn't help prepare for pumpkin season because they have babies. Men all over the world have babies everyday and continue to work.

I have been watching the show since the beginning. I have never seen the twins help prepare for pumpkin season. Matt was usually begging them to participate at all. Does Matt honestly think that anyone believes his new spin this year? It's ridiculous.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Thanks.  I don't need to Google.  There happens to be someone in my house today who has read TLC contracts.  :) 

Lucky you. I enjoy this family but hope that all of their issues can be worked out amicably. I enjoy their happier times rather than dissecting their rough ones. We all have tough times. That’s not entertaining. Watching them grow and do well laughing is. 

2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Then why are you questioning me? 

• Love 2

I am trying very hard not to begin watching any new reality shows.  First, much of it is very unreal.  Second, I have a tough time stopping watching shows that I have watched from the beginning so I'm "stuck" watching the disintegration of people and families on these reality shows.  I'm hoping all the ones that I watch will be cancelled by December, 2018.  :)

I will try to enjoy the Roloff babies while they're too young to be tainted.

6 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Then why are you questioning me? 

I was questioning the source not you.  The numbers seem to be typical internet exaggeration.  For instance "the internet" was saying the Gosselins were making $75K an episode when they were really making $22K per episode. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, gunderda said:

I agree - for once he wasn't wrong and unreasonable that they should pay a percentage of their sales back to the farm. But he probably could have explained it a little bit better.  And I'm sure he probably didn't think about it either, their accountant or whatever (or maybe even Caryn) told him "hey, this is how it should work".  I doubt it was his idea that he gives profits from his book away.  OR he wanted to charge Amy on her products and someone made him aware that if he did that then he'd have to do the same to his book.  But either way, it's how it needs to be done. But I question Amy's statement about her needing to sell 100 breads to start to make a profit ONLY because she now has to pay some back to the farm. 

No shit - that's exactly what I said to myself while watching.  These kids don't have jobs - they can work pumpkin season and help out their dad!! 

I think it's entirely possibly that Audrey was just too stubborn to allow him to do it UNTIL the doctor told her that's what needs to happen. Jeremy said he did suggest it and then Audry was very adament that it was the doctor's idea. 

I have a friend who has 2 kids and neither of them are good sleepers - the youngest I think is almost 2 and has never slept through the night and I've been told that she makes her husband get up with her too (even though she was big time into breast feeding), not sure if that's the case anymore.  But I do not get the point of having two exhausted parents. 

This reminds me of when I had my youngest child. His bassinet was next to hubby’s side of the bed. My side didn’t have enough room and there wasn’t but a few inches to move the bed over without blocking the closet. Our arrangement was that he would get our son out of the bassinet, and hand him over to nurse, then put him back in. This lasted for about a week till I walked in our room and saw the bassinet crammed in the narrow space between the bed and the wall. I guess that was his way of saying he didn’t want to deal with a newborn anymore ?. 

• Love 4

They're Audrey's stockpile of essential oils for just in case she's left behind when the rapture comes.

More seriously, she's really into the "natural healing properties of essential oils".  I personally am not shocked that she's into flimflam health stuff.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

PLUS, get to spend quality time with my spouse, child and other family members? 

Seems to me that the majority of married reality show "stars" eventually get divorced.  I don't know that all that "forced" time together is quality time.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Rap541 said:

I do question how profitable pumpkin season is. Don't get me wrong, I think it makes money,

I wish that instead of griping about how expensive that pirate ship was that they would just put out the figure.  I doubt if "Pumpkin Season 2017" brought in as much as the finall tally for the ship. 

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, LPBWfan said:

I think the main gist that people are dogging on the twins for is that they don't come around to help out their dad/help out on the farm as much. Jer and Auj don't seem like they come around to visit family as often. And if Jer really wanted to take over the farm then he should have been learning the ropes. 

Zach has already said he does not  want the farm. Just like he shouldn’t depend on his parents, his parents shouldn’t expect him to work in a business he doesn’t want to be part of - that being the farm. He does want to be filmed. Jacob and Molly do not. Should we require them to be filmed anyway because that would help Amy and Matt?  

Seems to me that Amy and Matt can do what every other business owner does and hire paid help. Or they can sell the farm. 

Now as to Jer- he does want the farm and he should be learning how to run it and participate in it just like every other person who want to take over the family farm.

all of these people do work. They work on a reality show.  Either that’s enough money or they get a second job. If it is enough money, I’m certainly not going to rag on them because they want the rest of their time to be their own. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2

Matt himself admitted the Pirate Ship was a sinking hole of a Money Pit - and that was BEFORE he hired 10 "last minute painters" to NOT finish the project. That was allegedly a "money-maker-to be".  Then he suddenly reverts to his refrain: "It's not about the money, it's about the LEGACY!".

Pick a lane, dickswab.  Oh, wait - you'll make this all about lanes that do not accommodate your endless array of "mules" and modes of tramsport others could only dream of.

• Love 9

all of these people do work. They work on a reality show.  Either that’s enough money or they get a second job. If it is enough money, I’m certainly not going to rag on them because they want the rest of their time to he their own. 

The Roloffs have a history of not wanting to acknowledge that they work on a reality tv show for the vast majority of their income. 

That said, I think most of the bitching comes from having to listen to Jeremy and Auj whine about how hard they are working when they are in an ideal situation that most married couples will never ever be in. If "work on a reality show" is too fucking hard, then maybe Jer needs to actually get a job where he clocks in eight hours. Maybe Auj needs to get a job where she starts her day dropping her precious child off at a daycare so she can clock in for eight hours of work, and then pick the kid up after, and go home and make Jer's supper instead of "postmating curry" and basically deal with life as a working person. 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Former Nun said:

I wish that instead of griping about how expensive that pirate ship was that they would just put out the figure.  I doubt if "Pumpkin Season 2017" brought in as much as the finall tally for the ship. 

Good point.  I suppose you have to be mindful of that risk and weigh it out. 

10 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Anyone know what these are? At first I thought they were Essie nail polish and I may have liked Audrey for a second there. But they're not. What are they?

That's a whole lot of $$$$$$$ in young living oils. I have maybe a handful that I really like a lot and use when needed but I can't imagine having that many.  80% of the ones I have collected I probably don't use.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, Rap541 said:

The Roloffs have a history of not wanting to acknowledge that they work on a reality tv show for the vast majority of their income. 

That said, I think most of the bitching comes from having to listen to Jeremy and Auj whine about how hard they are working when they are in an ideal situation that most married couples will never ever be in. If "work on a reality show" is too fucking hard, then maybe Jer needs to actually get a job where he clocks in eight hours. Maybe Auj needs to get a job where she starts her day dropping her precious child off at a daycare so she can clock in for eight hours of work, and then pick the kid up after, and go home and make Jer's supper instead of "postmating curry" and basically deal with life as a working person. 

Yes, I agree. Jer and Aud have that entitled, put- Upon, diva mentality that annoys the crap out of me.   I’d have more respect for them if they didn’t pretend they work.  

I just don’t get the same feeling about Zach and Tori. I don’t know  if it is because the side jobs they have ( soccer, teaching) are jobs reporting to others  or if it is because they just don’t cram it down peoples throats. I also think they try to be respectful of the fact that that other people would love to be in their financial position. 

ETA- it may be because Z and T. aren’t trying to  take their fans hard earned money in return for useless stuff in their side jobs. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Molly and Jacob are out living non-entitled lives of their own.

I think Molly is the only one that is successful all on her own. She is a college grad and has a good job. Doesn't Jacob live off of the TLC money he made while on the show? I don't think he's ever worked a day in his life! I believe he was living out of his van and traveling around the country with his girlfriend. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I suppose you have to be mindful of that risk and weigh it out. 

Matt never seems to understand/consider the whole picture as far as expense-reward goes.  I rarely watch the show, but did he ever mention charging patrons to "tour" the ship until the costs ran too high?

12 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Seems to me that Amy and Matt can do what every other business owner does and hire paid help. Or they can sell the farm. 

A professional manager with both farm and amusement business experience might create something wonderful for All Roloffs when their TV golden goose kicks the bucket.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yea, I just can't deal with Jer and Auj. 

I never even attempted to breastfeed my first two. I was going to go back to work and the idea of pumping in an office full of men was not something I wanted to do. Plus, my husband could immediately start pitching in with feedings. With my last baby I was planning on breast feeding but my milk wouldn't come in and I tried pumping and still couldn't produce any milk. My baby was hungry and I had two older children to contend with so I went right to the formula and never regretted it. 

I'm always astounded at how these people with one child can barely manage- my sister in law is the same damn way. When it was time for me to leave the hospital with baby #3 my husband had a big job he had to finish and couldn't bring us home (we own our own business -but he actually works), I had to call my mom for a ride and then I went straight to the preschool to pick up one child while the oldest was in school until later that day, 

Edited by Mountainair
incomplete sentence
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I'm curious about the ratings.  Anybody know how they are doing compared to last season and maybe any previous seasons?

I searched around, but couldn't find it.  I'm curious too.  Not sure why that info is so illusive.  Why can't they make the ratings more transparent. I have read that cable networks like TLC is different from a network like NBC.  A show like The Voice might have a rating of 5.2, but, a network like TLC would not have anything near those numbers.  A success for them would be much lower. I don't have the exact numbers though, so, I won't speculate. 

• Love 1

I don't keep a spreadsheet, just report the weeklies most of the time.  Gut feeling is that they float around the same vicinity most of the time.  Up a bit for the babies and down for the less exciting episodes.  They're one of TLC's best audience grabbers.  And no, TLC has pretty much no comparison to the big three (or four).  So for TLC, they are doing well.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, gunderda said:

That's a whole lot of $$$$$$$ in young living oils. I have maybe a handful that I really like a lot and use when needed but I can't imagine having that many.  80% of the ones I have collected I probably don't use.

How many type are there? That looks like 300 bottles 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/24/2018 at 10:22 AM, Mindthinkr said:

The boys probably don’t work because they can sit on their butts (with their wives) and collect about 250k before taxes. 

Hope I live long enough to see them on those "Where Are They Now?" features on washed-up celebrities.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 5
(edited)
22 hours ago, Mountainair said:

I never even attempted to breastfeed my first two.

Me neither.  Nor was I pressured or even encouraged to do so.  I told my doctor during my prenatal visits that I had to go back to work after having the baby and didn't plan to breast-feed.  He made a record that I would receive some sort of shot (a series?) after the first baby was born.  The baby was started on forumula in the hospital.  My mother (who lived 120mi away) was very unhappy with the peditrician because she learned there was a sign in the hospital nursery, "Do NOT warm Dr. __________'s bottles."  So when I got home, I sterilized the glass bottles, but was allowed to give the baby formula right from the refrigerator.  Mostly I took them out for several minutes to take the chill off...but eventually I probably served them refrigerator-cold-hearted.

22 hours ago, Mountainair said:

I was going to go back to work and the idea of pumping in an office full of men was not something I wanted to do.

breastpump.jpeg.cef7e580f3001c5b75fddea1fe3a0047.jpeg  

I'd never heard about breast-pumping and no one mentioned it to me.  I did get to "stay home" for six weeks (so I could have breast-fed) but that's only because we moved from Tucson back to Tempe and I had to leave my job to have the baby (and find another--job).

Edited by Former Nun
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:58 AM, gunderda said:

I agree - for once he wasn't wrong and unreasonable that they should pay a percentage of their sales back to the farm. But he probably could have explained it a little bit better.  And I'm sure he probably didn't think about it either, their accountant or whatever (or maybe even Caryn) told him "hey, this is how it should work".  I doubt it was his idea that he gives profits from his book away.  OR he wanted to charge Amy on her products and someone made him aware that if he did that then he'd have to do the same to his book.  But either way, it's how it needs to be done. But I question Amy's statement about her needing to sell 100 breads to start to make a profit ONLY because she now has to pay some back to the farm. 

No shit - that's exactly what I said to myself while watching.  These kids don't have jobs - they can work pumpkin season and help out their dad!! 

I think it's entirely possibly that Audrey was just too stubborn to allow him to do it UNTIL the doctor told her that's what needs to happen. Jeremy said he did suggest it and then Audry was very adament that it was the doctor's idea. 

I have a friend who has 2 kids and neither of them are good sleepers - the youngest I think is almost 2 and has never slept through the night and I've been told that she makes her husband get up with her too (even though she was big time into breast feeding), not sure if that's the case anymore.  But I do not get the point of having two exhausted parents. 

I think it gets tricky if the mom doesn't work or is on maternity leave, and dad is working.  Not that mom does nothing but stay home and eat bon bons, but dad needs some sleep to function in his job. 

I had a co-worker who breast fed all four of her children.   Both parents had jobs so this is how they worked it out - Dad got the baby, changed the baby, delivered to mom to be fed, and returned baby to crib.  It apparently worked out well for them.  I'm assuming he dozed while she was feeding the baby.

20 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I think Molly is the only one that is successful all on her own. She is a college grad and has a good job. Doesn't Jacob live off of the TLC money he made while on the show? I don't think he's ever worked a day in his life! I believe he was living out of his van and traveling around the country with his girlfriend. 

I thought that I read that Jacob was angry as his earnings (when he was young/underage) went into the family kitty and he felt he didn’t actually benefit or see  from it. There’s an article by Good Housekeeping. Sorry I can’t do links. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

thought that I read that Jacob was angry as his earnings (when he was young/underage) went into the family kitty and he felt he didn’t actually benefit or see  from it. There’s an article by Good Housekeeping. Sorry I can’t do links. 

That's interesting. Then how are Jeremy and Zach living without working, buying homes, etc...maybe because they are still on the show collecting checks? 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

That's interesting. Then how are Jeremy and Zach living without working, buying homes, etc...maybe because they are still on the show collecting checks? 

I think that Jacob was talking about the checks when he was a young minor. I believe that a certain age J/Z’s checks became their own (income). 

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I don't know if this is accurate, but didn't Tori work as a teacher until giving birth and is now on some kind of leave (unpaid)? And Zach--at least some kind of job coaching soccer? I guess the show checks allow them to not work full-time for now.

Jer and Auj--she worked when they first married, but I don't know what Jer ever did for real work. Wonder if the show checks plus help from parents (wouldn't put it past Matt to help his favorite son) allow them to live their lifestyle?

Jacob had a beef because he was a minor when the show started and had no choice in filming--nor did he get a separate check for doing so. I think part of the reason he and his parents smoothed things over is because they may have given him a small "settlement" of some kind--just speculating.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Adiba said:

Jacob had a beef because he was a minor when the show started and had no choice in filming--nor did he get a separate check for doing so.

They were all minors when the show started so none of them got separate checks. 

• Love 1

On FB Matt posted about reading his book at a book store in Surprise, Arizona ' his new home'.  Has Matt bought a new home out there?

I thought I read earlier that Matt might own a home in Hawaii.  The place 'maybe' Audrey and Jer were vacationing.

With all of that said perhaps Amy and Matt owned several homes and that's how they divided the property.  Matt might like traveling to those places while Amy might prefer staying in her home and traveling when she wants to where she wants.

Just a thought.

• Love 1

I've seen some talk about Matt and Caryn moving to Arizona and leaving the farm behind.  I would be SHOCKED if he did, but, Amy and the others who rely on the TLC income would also really be out of luck, because, I can't see the show continue to roll if Matt's off the farm and not living in Oregon, near the rest of the family. 

• Love 1

I thought I read earlier that Matt might own a home in Hawaii.  The place 'maybe' Audrey and Jer were vacationing.

While Matt has openly shopped for a Hawaiian home on the show, he doesn't appear to have bought one. The two different homes Jer and Auj stayed in during their vacation were both Airbnb. Thats directly from Jer and Auj's instatories.

I would be SHOCKED if he did, but, Amy and the others who rely on the TLC income would also really be out of luck, because, I can't see the show continue to roll if Matt's off the farm and not living in Oregon, near the rest of the family. 

I'd be surprised as well since the farm is where Matt rules with an iron first and he wouldn't get that in a different place, but... from a filming standpoint, how much of the season has been all about Matt? And how much has been Amy off doing stuff, or the twins off doing stuff? And how much has been Matt?

But honestly, I can't see Matt leaving television until he's dragged off screen.

• Love 6

I thought Matt and Amy still owned the farm together. If that's the case, he can't sell it without her consent or she buys him out. I'm so confused about who owns what, where, why and when with these two. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I thought Matt and Amy still owned the farm together. If that's the case, he can't sell it without her consent or she buys him out. I'm so confused about who owns what, where, why and when with these two. 

I think it took them at least a good year and attorneys to come to all the agreements for the divorce.  Probably really complicated.  Then throw in tlc contracts!  Yipes.

• Love 2
(edited)
42 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

From what Amy and Matt have said on the show, they both still own the Farm and land.  It's just they own it as two unmarried people now.  I suppose one would have to buy the other out, if they wanted to be totally free of it, but, if not, I guess they just go their own way.  They can own it, and not live on it. I suppose they would still have to pay taxes on it, maintain the grounds, care for or re-home the animals, etc.   I wonder if Amy would still want to live there, if Matt moved away and it's just her and the chickens.  lol 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

From what Amy and Matt have said on the show, they both still own the Farm and land.  It's just they own it as two unmarried people now.  I suppose one would have to buy the other out, if they wanted to be totally free of it, but, if not, I guess they just go their own way.  They can own it, and not live on it. I suppose they would still have to pay taxes on it, maintain the grounds, care for or re-home the animals, etc.   I wonder if Amy would still want to live there, if Matt moved away and it's just her and the chickens.  lol 

The farm is an incorporated business "Roloff Farms, Inc."  Matt is the president and Amy is the secretary.  Their divorce decree allocated the business as a 50/50 split.  So, yes, either one can stay as an owner and not live on it.  But then, they'd have to pay living expenses somewhere else that could not be written off as a business expense.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don't think she would stay.  Matt provides the excitement and adventure.  Amy is quiet and interested in Chris and friends. 

The arguing has become a way of life for both of them and with the kids grown up and gone that farm would be mighty lonely.

4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

• Love 1
On 5/25/2018 at 11:07 AM, bichonblitz said:

If this is true good for Jacob, as long as he is not on public assistance/welfare it's his money and he can do what he wants. It wasn't his choice to be on the show when he was a minor and he has chosen to not be a full participant now and make more money. If he can feed himself and take care of his needs and any offspring he may have that is all that matters so I won't judge him until he fails at these things. We don't know if he doesn't work or doesn't want to I just think he's young and doesn't have to. Necessity will dictate whether or not he is also a lazy lump.

• Love 4

Jeremy is the one who I think should be embarrassed to be such a lazy ass.  He is a strong, healthy young man who has mentioned numerous times how he expects to be gifted the farm....yet he does next to nothing to help his dwarf parents run the farm operation.  Jeremy is content to live off his parents fame and play hipster boy with his entitled wife... I'm saying that marriage will end when the show ends and Jeremy's bank account dries up.

• Love 8

I don't want to make a prediction on Jer's marriage because I just... think that marriage has its problems that we will never ever see and I think these two will regret making such a spectacle of how perfect their marriage is. They've basically boxed themselves in so that if there IS some marital problems, and there will be because EVERYONE has marital problems sometimes,  they're basically screwed because we're all going to laugh and point because they've insisted on putting their marriage up on a pedestal to be admired. 

• Love 9

I forgot to include this with the treehouse posts. This was on the Facebook page: 

We had the pleasure of hosting Jeremy Roloff & Audrey Roloff in the treehouse this week! These two are so full of life and are changing 100's of thousands of lives through their example of embracing selfless love & togetherness in marriage.    

Here's the review they left about #BoltFarm ?

“This treehouse is magical. We were in awe of how beautiful and cozy it was. We visited during the winter time and stayed nice and warm and cozy cuddle up inside! All the details and exceptional hospitality make this place a true "experience" rather than just a place to stay. So romantic and elegant! We loved the meal that was brought to us and the wine! SETH is an incredible host and has made this place one heck of a killer destination spot! So much fun and we are recommending it all over the place:)” 

-Audrey & Jeremy Roloff

• Love 2