Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Scarlett45

Important reminders: 

1. Our (golden) Be Civil rule applies to your fellow members.  It does not apply to the show, the characters, the cast, etc.  Folks are free to say whatever they like - and however they'd like to say it - about anybody related to the show providing it doesn't violate our hate speech policy

2. As per our site spoiler policy: episodes released on premium or pay-per-view services are not considered spoilers.

• Start Topic

I wonder if that is part of why she seemed so sour and unhappy immediately after Matt's walkout... the cavorting with Caryn had started and she was alone.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

I wonder if that is part of why she seemed so sour and unhappy immediately after Matt's walkout... the cavorting with Caryn had started and she was alone.

IMO yes. She must have felt as though she was losing everything. Matt had already moved on to Caryn. The kids were leaving the nest. Then Matt probably was very cranky when they dealt with the divorce and I’m sure that he thought that he deserved everything. Especially the big house which he is still trying to finagle her out of. 

• Love 6

It does seem that Amy is happily building a new life for herself. I'm glad for her. She's working everything out little by little.

Matt on the other hand, not so much. It appears that the same problems that he had with Amy are manifesting again with Caryn. We have seen him not want to leave the farm to spend time with Caryn. Just like with Amy, he finally did, but grudgingly. Caryn and Matt have also had an exchange about Matt spending money recklessly. That was another problem between Matt and Amy.

I think that while Amy will have a happy new life, Matt is just going to have the same problems with a different woman.

• Love 10

Lovely photos above.  It looks like the family is doing quite well.  And the one with Amy and Chris so nice too.  I'm happy for them all.  

Whatever is actually happening though....I'm reminded of the saying, "Wherever you go, there you are."  People rarely change, so, we'll see what the future holds for these people.  (Especially, if they keep appearing on tv.) lol 

• Love 1

It's obvious Matt loves the warm weather and there is nothing wrong with that...im sure it's much easier on his aging body.  Why not move to Hawaii or Arizona during Oregon's cooler months...let Amy as co owner run the dam farm or is Amy more of a silent owner?

• Love 1

Matt seems to be pretty anal about the management of the Farm, but, I do get it.   It's not like you can just leave it up to others to go out and do the things that have to be done for a smooth operation and optimal profits.  Some projects certainly need direct supervision and approval.  Plus, Matt is so picky. I know someone who works at a Pumpkin Farm locally and it's a big deal.  I'm not sure if it's on the same scale as the Roloff Farm, but, this one has train rides, small animals, gift shop, restaurant, etc.  They work their staff like crazy, from before dawn to after dark almost every day, year round. When people aren't there, they are cleaning, painting, clearing, planting, etc.  It's a huge operation.  I'm not sure how Matt does it without a lot of help.  Maybe, that's what Caryn was doing.  

Still, he'll have to pass it down to someone at some point.  He seems to have wanted to put someone in training, but, no one seems to really want it.  Leaving the operating of the Farm will be tough on Matt, but, maybe, he's working his way there. 

• Love 1

Still, he'll have to pass it down to someone at some point.  He seems to have wanted to put someone in training, but, no one seems to really want it.  Leaving the operating of the Farm will be tough on Matt, but, maybe, he's working his way there. 

He has to be willing to give up some control and actually allow someone to do things without standing over their shoulder watching. The pity of it, in my opinion, is that he's made running the farm look like a form of personal torture to his kids to where who really wants to be the farm's slave like Matt?  Understand, I think Matt gets a great deal of personal enjoyment in running the farm, but he portrays himself as the farm's tortured victim. "I can't leave ever! There's always work! I never have time to just relax!" - this is what he says but his reality is that he enjoys the work so its not that much of a problem. Why is this an issue? His kids hear "you will never have free time, you will always have work, if you run the farm, you will be grinding and grubbing your entire life and will never be able to do anything but tend the monster farm". I wouldn't want to work there either the way Matt makes it sound. 

• Love 6

On an aside, apparently Matt has mentioned on social media that while he and Caryn are still together, she no longer works on Roloff Farms.

That's a wise decision for everyone and should have come sooner than it did.

• Love 8
56 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

On an aside, apparently Matt has mentioned on social media that while he and Caryn are still together, she no longer works on Roloff Farms.

That's a wise decision for everyone and should have come sooner than it did.

Yes, that was a conflict of interest for sure. But I’m really curious to know the circumstances of why she left. If there is a next season, I’m sure they would at least touch on it. Hopefully someone blabs about it sooner than that, though. 

• Love 7

Yes, that was a conflict of interest for sure. But I’m really curious to know the circumstances of why she left. If there is a next season, I’m sure they would at least touch on it. Hopefully someone blabs about it sooner than that, though. 

I'm sure Matt will get in a confessional and mug to the camera and imply but not state as fact that he and Caryn felt forced by Amy to have Caryn leave the business. But... here's the reality.

Only an idiot dates his employees. With Caryn as the farm manager, here's what working at Roloff Farms looks like for the underlings. If you have a problem with something Caryn has done or a decision Caryn has made, you have to take your complaint to the owner, Matt, who is also Caryn's lover. That's the "absolutely nothing to do with Amy" reason why Matt fucking his employee was a conflict of interest.

The Amy aspect goes to Matt's reputation. Like Amy or think she deserved to be divorced, publically reviled as a BAD WIFE, etc etc, no matter how Matt tried to play this, he's still the man who after leaving his wife, almost immediately began dating the woman he had been working with while still married to his wife. There's no way to back away from that. Matt divorced his wife and began a relationship with a woman he had known and had been in constant contact with for years. Even hardcore apologists of Matt Roloff's behavior typically concede that the situation with Caryn has some "iffy" aspects to it. 

Here's the other Amy aspect. As bitchy as people are that Amy found a guy a year after her divorce - how much more bitchy would they be if Amy decided that one of Matt's employees and friends was now her lover?

I don't think Matt realized until it started happening, that he would be perceived  as the bad guy in openly revealing he was now dating his employee Caryn and had no problem inviting Caryn to family events and saw nothing wrong in having business meetings with his business partner and ex-wife and his farm manager and current lover. He clearly thought it would be perceived as "Look at Adorable Matt!" and it really wasn't.

But then Matt has always been a little clueless about his own behavior. I still chuckle at the scene of his openly bitching how awful and unfair it was that he didn't get the big house and Amy interjects and he says "AM I COMPLAINING?"

Yes Matt. You're complaining. And you're whining like a bitch. 

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

Here's the other Amy aspect. As bitchy as people are that Amy found a guy a year after her divorce - how much more bitchy would they be if Amy decided that one of Matt's employees and friends was now her lover?

Omg could you imagine how Matt would have responded, ha

No way would he have been as tolerant of the situation as Amy has been. The whining and bitching would be DEAFENING. He would never have been able to bite his tongue in front of the camera and refrain from suggesting he was cheated on.  It would have killed him.

So ... Matt says he and Caryn are still together. Didn't he "unfollow" her on instagram? I will believe they are still a couple when I see it. If she gave up her job after all these years - after walking through the fire publicly these past two seasons- there must have been a reason. Maybe leaving her job is some kind of attempt to force Matt's hand.

It must kill them both to give Amy this small victory.

• Love 9

No way would he have been as tolerant of the situation as Amy has been. The whining and bitching would be DEAFENING. He would never have been able to bite his tongue in front of the camera and refrain from suggesting he was cheated on.  It would have killed him.

I really enjoy how he tries to turn Amy being courteous in not insisting Matt shake Chris's hand and give Chris the passcode to the gate for the sex trysts in the big house into a bad thing. Really? Really, Matt? You're bothered that your ex wife that you despise doesn't bring her new man over to chat with you? It bothers you that Amy doesn't give you an itinerary of what she and Chris will be doing, when Chris is arriving, where they are going and of course, Chris needs to stop by to debrief on how Amy was?

I've said this before and I will say it again. The time Chris attends a family get together where Matt finds Chris and Amy with his kids? We're gonna see Matt put on his bitter little puss face and see a lot of moaning and groaning. And you know what? Unlike Matt, who has grinned like the hateful fool he is in delight at bringing Caryn in to Amy's house as his loved girlfriend, Amy is actually too kind to insist Matt invite Chris and treat Chris with hospitality at a family event in Matt's home.  

Because we'd see Matt's little puss face come out and Amy knows, from family game night and family game day, and Thanksgiving, that if Matt's put out, Matt doesn't give two shits how anyone else at an event feels, he's gonna be pissed and spoil things. Amy is the one who actually cares about how *other* members of the family feel.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, Honey said:

So where the fuck are Jeremy and the princess?

You didn't really think Auj would share Mother's Day with Amy now did you?   She's now the only mom that exists or counts in their world. 

• Love 6

You didn't really think Auj would share Mother's Day with Amy now did you?   She's now the only mom that exists or counts in their world. 

Let me throw the little red head bitch a small bone. She clearly can't stand Amy but I think she loves her own mom and I can reasonably think that she spent time with her own mom, especially knowing that Amy had others there.

And you know what? She's a selfish, shallow bitch, but I really can't fault a first time mom wanting Mother's day to be about them. 

• Love 6
(edited)

It’s quite possible that Amy saw the other two offspring - Jer and Molly on Saturday.  When there are two Moms to visit, it’s not always possible to visit both on Sunday. 

I will also say this- my children are both grown.  There has never been a Mother’s  day that was all about me even once because both my Mom and my Mom-in-law are both alive. I’ve often wished I could just visit both of them on Saturday and save Sunday for myself.  So if Jer has decided to do Mother’s Day that way, good for him. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 4

I have three young children and both my mom and my mother in law live nearby. To remedy the problem of who to see and when on mothers day I just decided to host a big cookout every year and invite my mom and dad, my parents in- law and my sisters- in law. Everyone brings a dish to share and I get to stay at home and host a big party- which are two things I like to do anyway :) 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

It’s quite possible that Amy saw the other two offspring - Jer and Molly on Saturday.  When there are two Moms to visit, it’s not always possible to visit both on Sunday. 

I will also say this- my children are both grown.  There has never been a Mother’s  day that was all about me even once because both my Mom and my Mom-in-law are both alive. I’ve often wished I could just visit both of them on Saturday and save Sunday for myself.  So if Jer has decided to do Mother’s Day that way, good for him. 

my mom and I alternate years.  My mil died the 1st year hubby & I were married, so I never had to work her in too.  On the years I get Mother's Day for myself, I take my mom out to eat during the week & it's all on my brothers on the actual day.  The years she gets it, I plan everything out & tell my brothers when to show up. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm not sure if some of the kids above in the photo treated Amy to lunch ON Mother's Day or another day, but, we stopped going out for lunch on that day due to the huge crowds, long lines, noise, etc., like Mountainair above.  It  was just too much and not conducive to fellowship when you have babies, toddlers, etc. to celebrate in a crowded restaurant.    We started having a cookout (dad's do most of the work) at one of the adult children's homes and invited in-laws too, so, all could spend time together, relax, really talk, etc. With grandmothers, great grandmothers, mothers, etc. unless you combine your resources and time for the day, it can get pretty hectic making it to visit everyone. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6
(edited)
On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:42 AM, Whyyouneedaname said:

Their relationship was doomed way before I believed Caryn came into view, somebody somewhere was gonna be the "other woman" no two ways about it. 

I religiously watched this show for the first six or seven seasons before my dislike for all of the bickering caused me to slowly wean off.  I actually thought it was cancelled until caught one episode a year or so ago.  I once was interested in watching again, but TWoP (I think it was pre-PTV) was filled with comments of how awful everyone was, and how they let Rocky die out in the yard in the rain.

Through my years of watching, it was pretty clear (to me) that Amy despised Matt.  Matt was disgusted because Amy was a slob.  The teenaged twins had grown into angry assholes who were disrespectful to their home, belongings, their parents, and anyone else they encountered.  The twins swore constantly, and Amy did nothing to deter any of this behavior, in fact she all but encouraged them to treat Matt this way.  Matt cared about the behavior but did little other than yell.

Anyway, if Matt was cheating and Amy was heartbroken and sobbing her heart out, as suggested upthread, it's because it ruined the story line.  Even in the first couple of seasons Amy clearly disliked everything Matt did, said, thought of, and every expression on his face.  Right now they're starting to look a little bit like Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas in The War of the Roses.  Matt is no innocent and I am not blind to his faults.  But I'm not falling for the story of:   Woman who gave her life to loving a man, he lost interest in the devoted wife and had an affair, she bravely goes on, daring to love again.  They were toxic together.

ETA:  I'm a nurse, so Matt's bitching and whining about his limitations never bothered me much.  I understand that others may have a lower tolerance.  I had an auto-immune disease as a child, so I know how this type of thing can affect the rest of your life.  Some things are hard to shake off.

Edited by RedheadZombie
More words.
  • Love 5
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:42 PM, Awfarmington said:

They almost ooze with contempt for her. She’s lucky Zach found Tori, I think her warmth is very genuine. 

Why is there tension between Audrey and Amy?  I stopped watching not long after Audrey showed up.  I remember Amy saying she was struggling a little because she liked the previous girlfriend so much and had been close to her, but I remember Amy being kind and inclusive with Audrey.  Is it possible that Audrey is the type to hold on to that one statement of Amy's?

Why is there tension between Audrey and Amy?  I stopped watching not long after Audrey showed up.  I remember Amy saying she was struggling a little because she liked the previous girlfriend so much and had been close to her, but I remember Amy being kind and inclusive with Audrey.  Is it possible that Audrey is the type to hold on to that one statement of Amy's?

I don't think so. I think Audrey is just really possessive and wants Jeremy's family around on her terms. It was her job that led them to move to California as soon as they married, keeping Jeremy nicely away from his family. When they had to move back to Oregon? Why, she wanted to live in Bend, where Jeremy's family would still be nicely distant and she could continue to teach her littst le puppet husband how to mind her. She has nicely planted the seed in Jeremy's head that his mother is some sort of sleazy whore that their child will need to be protected from. Audrey is all about controlling Jerehe wemy. I'm genuinely amazed and a bit shocked that Jeremy and Audrey literally posted on their website that they haven't taken more than two pictures with Jackson. These people aren't in my situation where I live on the West Coast and the niece lives on the east coast, they literally live within reasonable walking distance.

I also think this distance isn't helped by Matt Roloff making it crystal fucking clear that he was disappointed Auj didn't crap out a boy. He pretty obviously favors his little farmer grandson and has much less interest in the "farmette".

My suspicion is that about five to ten years from now, Jeremy is going to come up for air and realize he's the "Amy" in their marriage and Auj is the "Matt".

• Love 8

I can not figure out these programs. It's today's date my DVR says " new " but I've seen all this before. WTH? They do t have a social edition so that's not it and I avoid those. Was there a new show tonight ? Augsburg breast/ nursing difficulty Amy's party   All this crap has turned my brain to grape jelly. 

I applaud the man who came to look at the unfinished pirate ship and got together a crew of 10 men to get it painted on time. Either that or he must have paid them some pretty good green. Matt still hadn’t arranged for the railings to be installed so that it was boardable, but at least it wasn’t an eyesore. 

I wasn’t guise getting the bit about how the farm was to collect money from the sales of Amy’s products. (Mind you I had been knocked out at the dentist earlier in the day and was only working on 5 cylinders) I also wonder if the farm is hers to make decisions on then why didn’t Matt go over the cost of getting that ship done. There’s probably a OT going on behind the scenes that we aren’t privy to or the editing monkeys are trying to direct us to certain things. 

Big whoop. Jer finally gave up some of his precious sleep so that Auj could have 8 hours instead of her usual one. How magnanimous of him to care for his own child. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

If Matt is this awesome farmer who is the supreme businessman and organizer, why is the farm never fully ready when pumpkin season starts?

Probably because as with other shows on TLC, will we be ready, will it be done on time, will we get there on time, is the storyline. I find it annoying.

• Love 9

I hope for the safety of everyone watching that no one was playing a drinking game any time someone said "pumpkin" or "pirate ship"   My God, enough about the damn pirate ship.  He bought that thing months ago and talked about how he wanted it for the grandkids to play on like his kids did on the old one.  I didn't know he meant it to be a money-making venture as well.  An d if that was the plan all along, then why the Hell wasn't someone working on it during the summer?  Jerk & Zach have some excuses for not being able to help due to babies, moving, etc.  But there are other people that work on the farm, no?  Or hire a crew back in July or August to have the damn thing prepped and ready.  And all Matt's boo-hooing that it wasn't ready in time is stupid.  Yes, it wasn't ready for opening day, but if he hustled, it could be done for the following weekend.  Pumpkin season lasts for a few weeks right?  It isn't just one weekend.

I wonder what he plans to charge for people to get on the ship?  I know around my neck of the woods there are farms that monetize everything during apple/pumpkin picking season.  There's one farm we stopped going to because they started charging separate fees for every activity added over the years.  When we started going there, they only charged for the apple bags or pumpkins by weight.  The last time we went you paid an admission fee of $10, then the usual fee per apple/pumpkin picking you did..  They charge $2 per person if you want to ride the hay wagon out into the orchard or pumpkin patch vs. walking. If your kids wanted a pony ride- $5.  Visit the petting zoo- $5.  Feed the swans in the pond (who were very mean BTW) - $3/cup. Pet the Angora bunnies - $3. Face painting -$10-20.  Run across the hay bales - $5.  Go through the corn maze -$5/adult $3/kid. Take a picture on the tractor - $3/ person in photo! They also sold food/snacks that was way over priced - $8 for roasted corn cob and I think $11 for a burger! 

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

I wonder what he plans to charge for people to get on the ship?  I know around my neck of the woods there are farms that monetize everything during apple/pumpkin picking season.  There's one farm we stopped going to because they started charging separate fees for every activity added over the years.  When we started going there, they only charged for the apple bags or pumpkins by weight.  The last time we went you paid an admission fee of $10, then the usual fee per apple/pumpkin picking you did..  They charge $2 per person if you want to ride the hay wagon out into the orchard or pumpkin patch vs. walking. If your kids wanted a pony ride- $5.  Visit the petting zoo- $5.  Feed the swans in the pond (who were very mean BTW) - $3/cup. Pet the Angora bunnies - $3. Face painting -$10-20.  Run across the hay bales - $5.  Go through the corn maze -$5/adult $3/kid. Take a picture on the tractor - $3/ person in photo! They also sold food/snacks that was way over priced - $8 for roasted corn cob and I think $11 for a burger!

Wow. Either they’re greedy or have a lot of overhead. Trouble is if you have 3 kids and they all want to do things, that adds up fast. Some of it is OTT. $3 to get your photo on a tractor? I’m assuming that you take the picture with your own phone or camera. I also think that’s Highway robbery charging $11 for a burger. Again I’m sure it wasn’t served at a table on a real plate. That’s up around Red Robin prices. Ouch. A family could easily spend $100 on their 2-3 hour visit. 

I also fail to understand what Matt could charge to go on the ship. It doesn’t do anything (I’m sure there’s a movable wheel but it’s not like the kids get to hoist sails and flags). SMH

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Probably because as with other shows on TLC, will we be ready, will it be done on time, will we get there on time, is the storyline. I find it annoying.

I agree.  It seems that something has to be late, delayed, not working out, a thorn in their side, in order to create a storyline. Home renovation shows have a long history of feeding into the theory that viewers like to see a race to the finish to get the house ready, because the Open House is tomorrow! So frustrating.   I get the same vibe from this show.  Unless, it was scripted to add interest and a reason for Amy to criticize Matt, then, I don't see the point.  Either that or Matt relied on the boys to paint it and they never got around to it. Still, no excuse. I don't buy that Matt let that project fall through the cracks.   I even wonder if that first day that they aired last night was REALLY a first open day.  Hmmm........More like a trial run, imo and maybe not even real.  lol 

I did get some evidence that Amy's real beef with Caryn is not about Caryn and Matt, but, with Caryn and the adult kids and grandkids.  I don't think Amy likes seeing them, being cordial or friendly with Caryn.  And how dare Tori ask Caryn to hold Jackson.  I get it.  Too bad Chris couldn't be there.  His presence seems to soothe Amy. 

I liked the gifts they had available.  T-shirts wold also be popular, imo.  Did you see any in the gift shop? 

• Love 1

Why was Amy dressed like a bumble bee or what ever that get up was? Maybe because it was around Halloween costume month? She was the only one dressed up so it looked out of place to me. 

It was cute when Zach was macho man, being all firm and putting his foot down about not wanting Jackson at the farm then Tori gets her way and there is Jackson at the farm! I like this little family, Zach and Tori are good together. 

I don't blame Amy for feeling some kind of way about seeing Caryn holding her grandson. I would have the same feelings. Divorce is a bitch!

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Why was Amy dressed like a bumble bee or what ever that get up was? Maybe because it was around Halloween costume month? She was the only one dressed up so it looked out of place to me. 

It was cute when Zach was macho man, being all firm and putting his foot down about not wanting Jackson at the farm then Tori gets her way and there is Jackson at the farm! I like this little family, Zach and Tori are good together. 

I don't blame Amy for feeling some kind of way about seeing Caryn holding her grandson. I would have the same feelings. Divorce is a bitch!

except when she all but forced Chris to hold him, & I don't think it's because Caryn being Caryn, she would have the same feelings no matter who Matt dates.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I can not figure out these programs. It's today's date my DVR says " new " but I've seen all this before. WTH? They do t have a social edition so that's not it and I avoid those. Was there a new show tonight ? Augsburg breast/ nursing difficulty Amy's party   All this crap has turned my brain to grape jelly. 

There are several programs that pull this stunt. Extended addition and additional scenes are two I've seen. Some shows take pieces of several episodes and then have a themed edition. Quite often they are run just before a genuinely new episode. You really have to read the info to see if recognize things you've seen before. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I agree.  It seems that something has to be late, delayed, not working out, a thorn in their side, in order to create a storyline. Home renovation shows have a long history of feeding into the theory that viewers like to see a race to the finish to get the house ready, because the Open House is tomorrow! So frustrating.   I get the same vibe from this show.  Unless, it was scripted to add interest and a reason for Amy to criticize Matt, then, I don't see the point.  Either that or Matt relied on the boys to paint it and they never got around to it. Still, no excuse. I don't buy that Matt let that project fall through the cracks.   I even wonder if that first day that they aired last night was REALLY a first open day.  Hmmm........More like a trial run, imo and maybe not even real.  lol 

I did get some evidence that Amy's real beef with Caryn is not about Caryn and Matt, but, with Caryn and the adult kids and grandkids.  I don't think Amy likes seeing them, being cordial or friendly with Caryn.  And how dare Tori ask Caryn to hold Jackson.  I get it.  Too bad Chris couldn't be there.  His presence seems to soothe Amy. 

I liked the gifts they had available.  T-shirts wold also be popular, imo.  Did you see any in the gift shop? 

I did see shirts when they were doing quick shots of different items for sale.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

I did see shirts when they were doing quick shots of different items for sale.

Oh, good.  I could see that as being a big item.  I'd want one.  Even if it only said, I Visited Roloff Farms and All I Got Was This Shirt. lol  

Did you notice how blase the visitors seemed?  What a serene crowd. Not at all like Zach had anticipated. 

2 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I hope for the safety of everyone watching that no one was playing a drinking game any time someone said "pumpkin" or "pirate ship"   My God, enough about the damn pirate ship.  He bought that thing months ago and talked about how he wanted it for the grandkids to play on like his kids did on the old one.  I didn't know he meant it to be a money-making venture as well.  An d if that was the plan all along, then why the Hell wasn't someone working on it during the summer?  Jerk & Zach have some excuses for not being able to help due to babies, moving, etc.  But there are other people that work on the farm, no?  Or hire a crew back in July or August to have the damn thing prepped and ready.  And all Matt's boo-hooing that it wasn't ready in time is stupid.  Yes, it wasn't ready for opening day, but if he hustled, it could be done for the following weekend.  Pumpkin season lasts for a few weeks right?  It isn't just one weekend.

I wonder if it was part of Matt's justification on the expense and having the farm pay for it rather than himself. I know last season as the finances were being split, it was shown that Matt was buying things at auctions that he liked and hiding them around the farm calling them farm property to avoid having to pay for them himself. Given that Amy doesn't particularly care for Matt's projects, I can see her questioning the expense of having to build this giant pirate ship when the grandkids are going to be too small for it for a number of years. And so it was going to be Matt's project up until it got to the point that he needed to pay a lot of money to have it painted. Then it became a farm project to justify 10 painters. But Matt's also got a history of waiting until the last second on a lot of projects.

• Love 2

At least the farm prices are reasonable.  We have a pumpkin patch here on the do not go list for the ludicrous pricing.  Last year we went to one with a one entrance fee policy and the kids loved it. 

It could easily have been a staged for TLC day that was filmed.  That makes clearances so much easier!  TLC can control the narrative easier also.

• Love 2

I don't buy that Matt let that project fall through the cracks. 

Really?

Have you watched the show?

I'm not trying to be snide, by the way. There have been any number of projects that Matt starts and drops and leaves half assed and half finished and a number of instances where a sheer lack of upkeep leads to a "new project" - the original pirate ship being a blunt example. The original pirate ship literally rotted away because no upkeep was done. There's been a large tower on the farm since the first episode called "The Tower of Terror" that is some unfinished potential "ride" for the farm that Matt started and never ever finished. There was the Indian village teepees that got slapped up for one event and then literally rotted away. There's Molly's Castle that was started when she was six and sat as a crumbling heap of concrete until Matt decided his 16 year old daughter still needed a playhouse and hired contractors to finish it. Heck what about Matt pratting for years how he was gonna build the trebuchet bigger and better and the remains of that project are still rotting in plain view on the farm. Or what about the wine cellar in the barn that was half finished for filming in one episode but the next time we saw it was a year later and it was full of standing water and insects? The windmill that was actually supposed to be the centerpiece of an outdoor bar? The giant sandbox? The complete lack of maintenance on the little church? 

Matt has the attention span of a gnat. No doubt something shiny flitted by and the pirate ship slipped his mind. I haven't even touched on the completed projects that took far longer than they were supposed to.

• Love 15

And for the record - I think Matt was reasonable to a point about Amy needing to consider a percentage back if she was putting her bread in the store. I think though that he would have been better off not springing that on Amy and Lisa.

Amy and Lisa are kinda clueless about running a business. It costs a store to display a product.

The problem - and this seems to be a consistent issue - is that Matt works in chaos and intentionally doesn't mention things until they're right up against it to spring things. "Oh, put your bread in the store" sounds like how the idea was broached and then four days before it turns into "essentially you need to pay for the privilege of selling your stuff in the store"... which is no way for Matt to run a business by the way. 

Let me put it differently. If this bread business was just Lisa's business and Amy wasn't involved. then Matt offering her space in the store and then springing it on her four days before that he expects her to kick a percentage back in was out of line and a poor business practice on Matt's part. 

Jeremy kissing his own ass over sacrificing one night to spare Auj was amazing. OMG you helped out! You caved and actually did baby stuff!

Matt was in charge of the pirate ship and that led to huge cost overruns and last minute chaos. He point blank said he was expecting the boys to paint the ship. Matt has not expressed that he intends any consequences for the boys. He's the boss and his two unemployed sons did nothing and he does nothing but eat the losses with "well, they had babies three months and three weeks ago so their lives completely revolve about baby tending like all men".  Way to handle employees, Matt!

• Love 4

As opposed to farms around me their prices do seem reasonable. I still wouldn't want any part of it due to the insane crowds they must get.

The website said people 'might' run into one of the Roloff's while at the farm. I guess that means they don't regularly work these events but just show up now & then?

14 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

"well, they had babies three months and three weeks ago so their lives completely revolve about baby tending like all men".

I haven't seen this episode yet but most men are back at work quickly after babies are born. The reality is those two could've been helping on the farm - not that they have to -but I hardly believe neither has the time due to having one baby in the house for crap's sake!

• Love 5

The website said people 'might' run into one of the Roloff's while at the farm. I guess that means they don't regularly work these events but just show up now & then?

I think it's more that the various Roloffs aren't necessarily on site every day so they aren't guaranteeing you get to see one. 

• Love 2