Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

This may have already been addressed, but does anyone else find this show to be depressing now? I've been watching since day one and Matt's conduct toward Amy has never been what I would call respectful, but now that they're separated, I almost feel like I'm intruding on someone's troubled private life. Not that I don't enjoy a bit of voyeurism, but Matt's attitude is a real downer.

• Love 1

I can't see them reconciling unless Matt learns how to bend. I don't hold Amy blameless, but I think she'd be willing to meet him part way. I just don't see Matt willing to concede he's been part of the problem. And now he's got everything he's ever wanted, his own little bachelor pad on the farm.

Auntl - I don't see them seperating until TLC smply refuses to film any more, and as long as there's minimal profit that won't happen. Right now, if they go further than unofficially seperated, they're no longer maintaining the farce that this is a family.

• Love 1

Whom are they going to date?  I always found it laughable when Amy talked about how she "settled" for Matt.  Face it, Amy; it's not like either of you had a lot of choice...  They're actually both very fortunate to have found a mate to whom they're quite well matched in terms of education, intelligence, personality, ambition, and otherwise...  I view their difficulties arising from Amy's disrespectful, dismissive, and divisive attitude toward Matt (she clearly set out to polarize the kids against him and routinely throws it in his face that she's far better liked by their children, as well as far less physically hindered than he is, which is just plain mean, IMO).  His wounded male ego simply responds in kind.  Again, his worse trait is that he's a workaholic with too many creative ideas ?  Cry me a river, Amy.

As for the separation, it feels like a plot line to me; it's clear Amy still cares for Matt, and I can't see Matt ever leaving his pumpkin farm.

Oh, and...  Commercial for Amy Roloff's peach salsa much???

Edited by joanofarch4
  • Love 4

I agree that Amy was disrespectful toward Matt, but I think it went the other way as well.  Neither of them has ever treated the other with a lot of respect.  When they first started the show, Amy was working two jobs to make ends meet and they were borrowing money from family for Zach's braces.  There's nothing wrong with Matt being a dreamer, but a little practicality would have helped a lot.

They don't get divorced because neither one of them is willing to give up half of the community property.

• Love 2

routinely throws it in his face that she's far better liked by their children, as well as far less physically hindered than he is, which is just plain mean, IMO

I see this differently. Matt likes to garner the attention from "doing it despite his handicaps". If he's not getting the attention, he doesn't bother putting on the "I can do it" show.. The kids favor Amy because she seems to enjoy being with them, while Matt only willingly spends times with the kids if he is a) the center of attention and b) doing something Matt enjoys. If Matt doesn't enjoy it, then he's quite blunt, it's a waste of his time. He's said this about viewing Zach's soccer games in Ireland, arriving early to attend his son's graduations. On the Costa Rican vacation, Matt was annoyed that the entire family didn't dance attendence on his disability. To be blunt, if he wanted a vacation where he hung around the beach, he should have paid for it himself instead of taking TLC's money because TLC expected the family to do more than sit around the pool, and Amy knew it, and so did Matt, and Matt whined like a child about it and made everyone miserable.

His worse trait isn't that he's a workaholic, its that he's an arrogant douche who doesn't understand that he's not the center of the universe.

• Love 5

To put it simply every single little thing in life has to be Matt's way or the highway or you never hear the end of it.

I don't agree that family vacations should cater to Matt.  I have disabilities that prevent me from doing many things.  I have never believed that the family should be held back or should feel sorry for me.  I find something enjoyable that I can do while they bike down craters at dawn or such.  Matt should grow up and quit sniveling.

• Love 4

So watching reruns from March of 2014....Matt's dad pretty much said they are both to blame and that they both needed to get over it and make it work.

A-FREAKING-MEN..

Marriage is not always easy......

I do think that the separation is a bit contrived and staged to keep interest going as far as the Zach/Jeremy engagements/marriage.....because well? without these life events they would not have a show.

Seriously.

• Love 1

Jeremy's engagement was announced the week AFTER Matt and Amy announced they had already been separated for four months, and this was all timed to coincide. Jeremy and Zach are having separate weddings in part because if they have a double wedding now... then there's no special event to film next summer. There's a whole lotta cold monetary thoughts in this. Likewise the whole "we're separated and live in different houses but we're really not separated s WHEN IT COMES TO THE SHOW" rigamorale.

I mean, they can't really separate without ending the show. And I think Matt has learned from his various legal failures that he doesn't come off well in court and if they did divorce, Amy would be walking away with a good chunk of the estate after she played episode after episode of Matt in confessionals calling her useless and that everything she does is pointless. She's no prize, but Matt, with his "Yay, I get attention when I say awful things about my wife" attitude, may have really screwed himself with his need to bitch about her in public.

• Love 2

With regards to Zach using Jeremy as his wedding photographer - I would be surprised if he DID.  I mean, my guess would be that Jeremy will be his best man, and will have things to do in that role.  It would be really tough to also be the photographer.....and how many of the pictures would Jeremy be in as the best man?  If I were in that situation, I would be asking Jeremy to recommend someone HE trusted (perhaps whoever he uses for HIS wedding) to take the pictures. 

And who knows?  Perhaps the photographer that Zach and his fiancee used is related to his fiancee, or perhaps Jeremy was still away at school and there was some reason they didn't want to wait for the pictures?  So many questions, so few answers.....

Auntl - I actually think Matt is kinda waiting for Amy to step out to nail her. Right now, in any divorce proceeding, she's got the upper hand. She's on record wanting the marriage to work, she's on record with being unhappy Matt left the marital home. If she begins dating during what is very carefully described as an *unofficial* seperation, Matt strikes me as the sort who would immediately point and scream that he's the wronged party and that his whore of a wife cheated on him. Because then Matt is the precious little victim.

• Love 1

I see this differently. Matt likes to garner the attention from "doing it despite his handicaps". If he's not getting the attention, he doesn't bother putting on the "I can do it" show.. The kids favor Amy because she seems to enjoy being with them, while Matt only willingly spends times with the kids if he is a) the center of attention and b) doing something Matt enjoys. If Matt doesn't enjoy it, then he's quite blunt, it's a waste of his time. He's said this about viewing Zach's soccer games in Ireland, arriving early to attend his son's graduations. On the Costa Rican vacation, Matt was annoyed that the entire family didn't dance attendence on his disability. To be blunt, if he wanted a vacation where he hung around the beach, he should have paid for it himself instead of taking TLC's money because TLC expected the family to do more than sit around the pool, and Amy knew it, and so did Matt, and Matt whined like a child about it and made everyone miserable.

His worse trait isn't that he's a workaholic, its that he's an arrogant douche who doesn't understand that he's not the center of the universe.

See, I saw that vacation differently:  As Amy ordering up a lengthy kayaking trip when she knew full well Matt couldn't sit comfortably in one for the duration...  Amy throwing a hissy fit when Matt was a little late hobbling alone to the bus (the man can barely shuffle along, and it was cobblestones; take a gander at those gnarled fingers, for an indication of his mobility)...  Amy scurrying up a rocky mountainside -- with steps, no less -- and feigning shock when Matt couldn't keep up (this was "Amy II," the sequel; she'd already scaled one mountain in Oregon and then did the victory dance)...  So I see Amy as the inconsiderate, selfish, egocentric one here.  Guess it's like the three blind men and the elephant?  ;)

Edited by joanofarch4
  • Love 4

As Amy ordering up a lengthy kayaking trip when she knew full well Matt couldn't sit comfortably in one for the duration...  Amy throwing a hissy fit when Matt was a little late hobbling alone to the bus (the man can barely shuffle along, and it was cobblestones; take a gander at those gnarled fingers, for an indication of his mobility)...  Amy scurrying up a rocky mountainside -- with steps, no less -- and feigning shock when Matt couldn't keep up (this was "Amy II," the sequel; she'd already scaled one mountain in Oregon and then did the victory dance)...  So I see Amy as the inconsiderate, selfish, egocentric one here.  Guess it's like the three blind men and the elephant?  ;)

Heheh true but here's my counter arguement. This was filmed for TLC. Matt knew enough about the trip well enough ahead of time to not only plan to take to his driving peddles but to special order a saddle designed for him. The trip plans of kayaking, hiking etc were not sprung on Matt when he arrived at the hotel, he was intimately involved in the planning of the trip because he is one of the producers of the show.

I'd also point out that Matt isn't newly handicapped. If he can't walk for three miles on easy terrain in perfect conditions, then it really doesn't take a genius to know he won't be able to do an uphill trek thru a jungle. Matt went on the hike knowing full well he couldn't complete it and whined and moaned how cruel it was and how unfair it was that his family was doing activities he couldn't do and how his idea of a perfect vacation was sitting by the pool. Had Matt had his way, every activity they did in Costa Rica would have been cut short for him, and he sure wasn't shy letting everyone know that he was completely miserable and why.

But if he wants to be a man and get the "look at me do stuff despite my pitifully gnarled fingers and my extremely limited mobility" plus poiints, then he'll cheerfully note to the camera how dangerous it is and how he's not gonna let the terror, or the mobility or the gnarled fingers stop him from his super dangerous ski trip that he spent a good half hour whining about last night how awesome he was to even attempt it.

On the trip to Costa Rica, he couldn't turn it into a "look at Matt show off" moment and thats why he was nasty as hell. That trip showed me just how difficult he probably is in real life to be around.

• Love 3

See, I saw that vacation differently: As Amy ordering up a lengthy kayaking trip when she knew full well Matt couldn't sit comfortably in one for the duration... Amy throwing a hissy fit when Matt was a little late hobbling alone to the bus (the man can barely shuffle along, and it was cobblestones; take a gander at those gnarled fingers, for an indication of his mobility)... Amy scurrying up a rocky mountainside -- with steps, no less -- and feigning shock when Matt couldn't keep up (this was "Amy II," the sequel; she'd already scaled one mountain in Oregon and then did the victory dance)... So I see Amy as the inconsiderate, selfish, egocentric one here. Guess it's like the three blind men and the elephant? ;)

I agree. I've always thought Amy was a condescending bitch. If given a choice of which of them to spend time with, I'd choose Matt in a heartbeat.

I can't stand Amy.

I think Matt has the right to be proud of what he's accomplished despite his limitations. I would be too.

Does anybody in this family chew with their mouths closed? I get grossed out every time they eat.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 5

Matt is indifferent to Amy and the marriage now because he's reached that point that some men reach when -- after a lifetime of put-downs and being dismissed, unappreciated, and marginalized in his own home --  he's just done with it.

Edited by joanofarch4
  • Love 2

If given a choice of which of them to spend time with, I'd choose Matt in a heartbeat.

I'd rather be alone than spend time with either one of them.

I wonder what shape the marriage would be in if TLC hadn't come along.  Would they be together?  Would the marriage have ended long ago?  It's hard to tell.

• Love 2

Let's not forget the cruise down the Mississippi that Matt had to leave in the middle of. What was so hard and difficult on that trip that he couldn't do? Amy sucks it up and puts on a happy face for the kids and always has. Matt has always been about himself and Jeremy. Amy wanted to go out to dinner with him last season, it wasn't where he wanted so acted like my 3 year old grandson does and whined the whole time. Amy looks for joy in life, Matt looks for attention. It's Matt's harebrained ideas that got Jacob hurt by the trebuchet. Matt does what he wants and safety or the family be damned. Jacob is safer with Matt out in the bachelor pad. He knows to steer clear.

• Love 6

On the trip to Costa Rica, he couldn't turn it into a "look at Matt show off" moment and thats why he was nasty as hell. That trip showed me just how difficult he probably is in real life to be around.

Yes, dear Matt who is rude and condescending to almost everyone.  Who is only happy when he's doing exactly what he wants.  Matt who tries to boss everyone around even his family members.  Matt who throws childish temper tantrums.  Matt who thinks daydreams are reality.  I think it's Matt who turned Amy bitchy by his complete lack of consideration of anyone else, his bailing on family vacations that he could participate in, his expecting her treat him like a king while he completing disregarding any of her wishes.  I'd have probably left in my dust long ago.  Matt who allegedly discusses things and supposedly agrees not to do some frivolous and outlandish expenditure and then does it anyway and laughs about it.  He's a peach alright.

• Love 5

Last night's episode was painful to watch. There are so many icky, uncomfortable things about this family.

Watching them take a trip together was weird. They tool around, like one big happy family. And then they end up at a ski resort, where Matt, who can barely walk, rigs up his crutches like ski poles and goes down the slopes,. He seemed one tiny notch ahead of being totally out of control on his skiis. He's lucky he didn't break any bones, or injure any other skiiers.

I can't believe Amy was reflecting on her own marriage and said something along the lines of rushing to marry Matt and maybe it wasn't the right choice.

More weirdness -  when Matt came to get something of his out of "Amy's" house, I realized what a freakin' hornets nest their living arrangements are. They must growl at each other from their porches. And then spy each other all day. Just cut the strings, sell the property and get on with your separate lives. But no, they are all tied up emotionally in the farm still.    

Moving the little wooden church? What the heck was that all about? And what the heck is the purpose of that tiny church? It's too small to use for real.

Jeremy has some expensive toys. The vintage VW bus he drove off to college in must have cost a pretty penny. And his camera equipment ain't cheap either.

I can't believe I watch this show, but I don't know how to make myself stop. 

• Love 2

I too find the scenes with them eating to be truly disgusting!  Mouths open while chewing and talking at the same time, yuk!  And they know they are being filmed!  I also find the house to be super disorganized and I am sure it is filthy!  Makes my skin crawl and I too would not eat anything Amy made even though that peach salsa sounded mighty tasty as we heard over and over again..."in a store near you, Amy Roloff's Peach Salsa as seen on tv!"

• Love 6

Just catching up on episodes and it is kind of painful to see Matt and Amy's separation play out.  I think Matt knows he has to share some of the blame but doesn't seem ready to face that, but he really seems to have checked out with no seeming desire to move back in. His reaction when Amy said she hopes Jeremy's marriage lasts forever was just...something.  He took it personally, as a dig but I didn't see Amy meaning that.  Just I hope our kids don't have all the problems we have, she wants them to be happily married.

I was happy for Jeremy when he proposed, he was clearly so nervous and happy. I hope that girl knows what she's getting into.

I wonder if Amy realizes she's kind of up the creek as far as careers go at this point. The pop-up kitchen worked out but she really seemed overwhelmed and the boys won't be there all the time to help out.  She probably thinks she has to stay married, can't afford to leave.

I did miss Molly.

• Love 1

Well, at least she wasn't trying to iron her shirt while wearing it!

At first I thought the wedding invitation looked tacky, but then I remembered Jeremy's love of the manual typewriter and it makes sense.  But why at the bottom does it say "#theroloffwedding"?  Why not "thebottiwedding" or "the roloffbotti wedding"?

• Love 3

When did Zach get engaged?

I have to say I prefer all of the kids to the parents, so I don't mind epis that focus on them. Also Jake has matured so much - he is a much nicer kid than he was a year or two ago. And he and Jeremy definitely won the lottery on looks - I think they are both very handsome guys.

Matt and Amy remind me so much of brother and sis in law. They were high school sweethearts, married after college and lasted 15 years. They have been seperated since 1991 but have never divorced. They spend holidays together, he cuts her grass and shovels her driveway. She has him over for dinner and makes his favourites. They are much better friends than they were spouses. If Matt and Amy were able to finally part I think they would end up in a similar situation.

The tumultuous relationsip my bro and his wife had for most of their married years hasn't had a negative effect on my two nieces (one was 11 when they seperated, the other 8). Both are married to amazing men and they have very strong relationships. I wish the same for the Roloff boys (and their sister when and if she reaches that point).

• Love 3

I don't want to be mean, but why in the hell would anybody want to marry Zack??

Isn't he still a part time soccer coach? He seems like a lazy sloth with no personality. He always looks dirty, talks with his mouth full of food and is just all around yuck in my opinion.

I don't understand why any woman in her right mind would want to marry him.

• Love 3

Eh, I have always felt sorry for Tori when it comes to fan speculation. It says something about our society that its simply inconcievable that a reasonably attractive woman could find a man with a handicap attractive and worthy of marriage without it being suspected that she's a gold digging whore doing it for the celebrity and money.

I mean, she's been dating him for four years now. The money from the show isn't that good, and I've even seen it suggested that she dates merely so she can be in the hallowed prescense of Jeremy because you know, Zach is so gross and Jeremy is the Golden One and she can't possibly be in  love with Zach when Jeremy is so fucking perfect.

A guess? While I don't care for his personailty, I could see where Zach would be very sweet to a girl. I can't see Tori dating and committing to marry someone she doesn't love for the celebrity/money, because frankly, it ain't that much.

• Love 7

I didn't say a word about his "handicap". I mentioned his personality which has nothing to do with a handicap.

To be honest, none of know Tori so we don't know if she'd date him for the money. She hasn't been shown enough for anybody to know if she'd become engaged to him for money and fame.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 3

Zach seems lazy and has some personality flaws that are certainly not attractive that is for sure, chewing with his mouth open with food falling out, nope not so attractive and I think the people who sign on the dotted line with TLC are doing ok with $, endorsements and speaking engagements if they choose to go that route.    

Edited by jodo
  • Love 1

Maharincess, I certainly didn't cite you by name, and I have seen people straight up speculate that she only started dating Zach because she wanted to be on tv/wanted to be with Jeremy, and can't possibly actually find Zach attractive because he's a dwarf. Sure I don't know that she is or isn't a gold digging slut, marrying Zach for fame and money.....

But really, does anyone really think Zach is so wealthy and such a celeb that a pretty girl who seems reasonably together would find it worth it to date him for *five* years counting the year until their marriage, and then marry him despite not loving him and just doing it for the money?

Ginger90 - I certainly wouldn't marry him, and I think he does have a snappish, whiny side like Matt, but I think he'd treat a wife like he treats his mom and sister and I can see where a girl would find that appealing.

I don't think any of the Roloffs boys are a catch. How are either one of them going to support a family? At least Jeremy has some sort of a degree. Zach? What are his prospects? He hasn't finished school. Doesn't have a good job. Doesn't seem ambitious. If he wasn't a little person, we would call him a loser.

Tori is a nice girl and hope Zach makes her happy and takes care of her.

• Love 1

Zach bought a house, so he must have more income coming in or saved than we might know about.  Jeremy's degree in photography, does not give him a 'one-up' on Zach.  Zach was shown in one of the specials trying to complete his associate degree... because he had' places to go, people to see'..  I am not going to hold anything that I think might be related to Zach's physical body shape against him, such as his breathing, eating, teeth, and so forth.   I think he has grown up to be much more aware of his parents relationship with each other than the rest of the bunch, and also much more aware of how to treat people (other than Jacob, that is).  He and Tori seem to be very special together. 

Someone pointed out to me a few months back that I was eating with my mouth open.  I had no idea.  Turns out I had scar tissue blocking my nostrils.  One was 99% blocked - the other was 75%.  I have a feeling with them it's more a physiological issue.  I've been told I have a complicated airway, and I'd venture they probably do too.  That's all related.

I agree that Zach has looked sloppy at times, but so has Jeremy.  I recall a lot of the times on the early episodes that Zach was perpetually wearing that Civil War hat, and Jeremy was so often wearing that shirt that said "Short Dwarfs" in the Star Wars font that my husband wondered if he owned any other shirts.  And it also leaves one to wonder if they ever do laundry.  So that's why I thought they always looked sloppy.  That, and their propencity for sleeping until 2pm.

The Roloffs bought something from the company I work for, but I dealt with their production people, not them.  And that was a number of years ago.

On the last episode, we joked that you should take a drink every time one of them said "Our parents are separated".

At least Jeremy has some sort of a degree. Zach? What are his prospects? He hasn't finished school. Doesn't have a good job. Doesn't seem ambitious. If he wasn't a little person, we would call him a loser

Yeah, Jeremy has a degree of fine arts in photography. That he got after goofing around for five years. I don't normally defend Zach, because I generally agree that he's not ambitious and isn't working a good job.

Now someone tell me aside from the degree from the degree mill school (Brooks was sued for shitty performance and lost) how has Jeremy exceeded Zach?  He's not working and frankly I have never seen Jeremy do anything "ambitious". How will the big boy be supporting his wife? Or will she, with her job at Ernest and Gallo, be supporting Jeremy while he dreams a dream and sits on his ass goofing?

Because its extremely noticeable that Jeremy is not and does not ever discuss his future. Don't get me wrong - frankly I think both Roloff twins are lazy as shit but Jeremy is good looking and smiles so even when he's living off the reality show and his handicapped parents he's a fucking shining star for never working for anyone but his daddy while his twin is a stupid sack of shit for holding a not so very good job down for years and buying a house with the show profits.

I have never seen Matt sit Jeremy down and demand hard answers on anything and I have seen Matt and Amy humiliate Jacob and Zach and its pretty fucking obvious Jeremy could shit himself on camera and Matt and Amy would demand we all respect his artistic choice while if the other kids did the same, they'd merrily throw the offender to the wolves.

• Love 1

I think Jeremy would love to take over the pumpkin farm.  He thinks he could just hire people to do all the work while he sits back and rakes in the $$$.  The boy is in for a rude awakening or two.  Once the show eventually ends, he likely will have saved nothing and won't understand why he's broke.  I think, in the long run, Zach is more realistic and will do better.  At least he has a house!

• Love 1

Honestly, I am totally waiting for that, the vow renewal and or Jeremy's wedding making them reassess their marriage.

I think Jeremy would love to take over the pumpkin farm.

I don't normally say Jeremy is smart so this is a first, but Jeremy is smart enough to know that he'll never get the farm in any meaningful way until Matt is dead. Frankly, I think all the kids are clever enough to realize that whoever says they want to take over the farm will be Matt's little whipped bitch until he dies. I mean really, Matt would make an heir, even Jeremy, dance to his tune all while forever making it clear it was Matt's decision whether the heir was "worthy". Matt's too much of a control freak to not turn it into a "prove to me you want it while I shit on you working and deride you constantly, and continually note you'll work and work until *I* get tired and then I will let you know how if only I was abled bodied like you, I'd have finished already and already started the next fantastic project" game.

Matt is way too transparent about how he's King Shit of Turd Mountain and how no one is ever up to his standards. I don't think any of the kids are dumb enough to think Matt wouldn't be a complete condescending ass to any of them who wanted to take over the farm. There's a reason none of those kids have any interest.

• Love 3

Gee next it will be Amy and Matt renewing their vows....insert finger down throat!  LOL

First comes Little People, Little (couples) Therapy.  I suspect Matt would wallow on the ground in ecstasy if he could translate his "fame" into a full gamut of reality show tropes. 

• Love 4

Either only one side of the giant pumpkin balloon was misprinted, or they were able to pull a fast switcheroo.  If you look at the shot of the balloon after Molly doctored it and then look at others when it was on the float, they don't look the same at all.  I cry total BS.

• Love 4