Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Scarlett45

Important reminders: 

1. Our (golden) Be Civil rule applies to your fellow members.  It does not apply to the show, the characters, the cast, etc.  Folks are free to say whatever they like - and however they'd like to say it - about anybody related to the show providing it doesn't violate our hate speech policy

2. As per our site spoiler policy: episodes released on premium or pay-per-view services are not considered spoilers.

• Start Topic

I don't know many caregivers getting paychecks who make plans to get naked for their clients. 

I mean, honestly I just think Matt and Caryn are sexual and there's no reason to think two people who are dating and maybe planning marriage aren't. Point - not sure Matt would find the discussion of his probable sexual dysfunction with Caryn flattering. He's certainly never hinted about any problems with the little tractor.

• LOL 2

I think Caryn and Matt have an agreement that fits both of their needs.  They seem quite comfortable with each other.

I do agree with what Caryn said about them both acting like they're still married with all the bickering they do!

She's probably as sick of it as we are!  New storyline please!

• Love 5
On 10/22/2020 at 10:35 AM, Jeanne222 said:

Amy s second act was to feather her nest.  So far it not working.

Really? She got 667k for the wedding barn side of the property. She got 975k for the big house side. She's still pulling a salary for doing the show. Her recently purchased 4 bedroom home was what 600k? I personally doubt the cooking videos make a lot of money but some people seem to think they do. Likewise the stupid fudge business. And due to the length of marriage, Amy's social security will be enhanced by Matt's. So a nice hunk of property, a sizeable wad of money for the farm, her own endeavors making whatever, the show income and I bet they get at least one or two more seasons, and a share of Matt's SSN.

I don't see what's not working here. Especially if she is as cheap as people claim.

• Love 6
On 10/22/2020 at 10:16 AM, sATL said:

Let me ask the question a different way: What is Amy's  job title and responsibilities, as it relates to the farm? Is it full time or part time ?

Amy's job is moaning and complaining.  How much more do we need to hear about how hard it is to leave.  It's hard for anyone.  At least she has a new home and a fiance.  Maybe her main duty at the farm is pumpkin season host.

Just now, LucyEth said:

There is certain criteria that she may not meet.  Not a given she will get a share of Matt’s  SS.

That's interesting and if she remarries, does she not forfeit Matt's SS?

Edited by Wollstonecraft
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Wollstonecraft said:

That's interesting and if she remarries, does she not forfeit Matt's SS?

I believe one of the terms is that she has to stay unmarried until age 60, who knows that may happen at the rate they are going!

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

believe one of the terms is that she has to stay unmarried until age 60, who knows that may happen at the rate they are going!

You're thinking of survivor benefits, which are different. Here's a link. https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/081815/can-divorced-woman-collect-social-security-her-exhusband.asp#:~:text=Depending on eligibility%2C a divorced spouse may indeed,they were married for at least 10 years.

And the more official website that is a bit more formal. https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/4388

Eligibility for divorced spousal benefits

In order to receive benefits, an ex-spouse must either remain unmarried until age 60, or the  second marriage must have ended by death, divorce, or annulment. The rules for claiming benefits as an ex-spouse are slightly different than claiming benefits as a person reaching retirement age versus as a survivor whose former spouse has died.

• Love 3
On 10/21/2020 at 7:41 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

You know the saying about marrying for money....? You must earn every damn dollar. Lol. 

She isnt worth it.  A trial of living together would be beneficial.  I'd like to see their house after a few months of them nesting and see if the clown collection multiplies.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 10/20/2020 at 8:37 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Too bad that Amy has to tough it out in that 2 story postage stamp house. 😢 

Will she ever stop comparing her new house to the old one? I love that goldfish pond. Just lovely. I don’t think I’d complain about it.

How did she pronounce koi lol?

• LOL 2
33 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Do self-employed people always participate in SS?  If they haven’t been paying in they won’t get it.

That is what I was thinking. I thought self employed determined what they paid into SS. Matt could have paid $0 in the past and/or $0 since divorce.

And isn't there a max on SS - I didn't know people get a major monthly windfall from it... I wonder if Amy has pulled a SS statment to see just how many pennies she is planning on filing for.

keeping this dragging on until 62 to claim SS...wow...

I didn't think SS was that much of a jackpot...the financial commercials kinda proclaim not to depending on it solely.Even Suze Orman preaches not to claim SS until 67 or 70. One key is that people are living longer and the higher your payout will be ( source )  the longer you wait to file

Edited by sATL
32 minutes ago, sATL said:

That is what I was thinking. I thought self employed determined what they paid into SS. Matt could have paid $0 in the past and/or $0 since divorce.

And isn't there a max on SS - I didn't know people get a major monthly windfall from it... I wonder if Amy has pulled a SS statment to see just how many pennies she is planning on filing for.

keeping this dragging on until 62 to claim SS...wow...

I didn't think SS was that much of a jackpot...the financial commercials kinda proclaim not to depending on it solely.Even Suze Orman preaches not to claim SS until 67 or 70. One key is that people are living longer and the higher your payout will be ( source )  the longer you wait to file

I think the general rule is that it should be a third of your income and you should have something else to draw the other two thirds from if possible.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

Do self-employed people always participate in SS?  If they haven’t been paying in they won’t get it.

I really doubt that Matt has been participating in SS

I have a couple relatives and a few friends that are self employed and none of them contribute to SS, they seem to think that they can invest their money elsewhere and get a better return on their dollars.

I'm not so sure about that but time will tell, they're convinced that they're doing the right thing. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

I really doubt that Matt has been participating in SS

From leaving high school to about 2001, Matt worked for others at various software companies. From about 2003 until now, Matt has worked for production companies associated with TLC.  Sorry, don't believe he's being paid under the table. 

Now the pumpkin business? I mean, it seems unlikely Matt's been ignoring payroll issues and just not paying into SSN. 

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

From leaving high school to about 2001, Matt worked for others at various software companies. From about 2003 until now, Matt has worked for production companies associated with TLC.  Sorry, don't believe he's being paid under the table. 

Now the pumpkin business? I mean, it seems unlikely Matt's been ignoring payroll issues and just not paying into SSN. 

MrBuhBye wasn't talking about his entire employment history

Mr BuhBye said "self employed" and I was replying to his comment with my own experience involving "self employed" people and contributing to SS

The people I've known didn't contribute but obviously other people do contribute.

I just have a feeling that Matt wouldn't.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

MrBuhBye wasn't talking about his entire employment history

Mr BuhBye said "self employed" and I was replying to his comment with my own experience involving "self employed" people and contributing to SS

The people I've known didn't contribute but obviously other people do contribute.

I just have a feeling that Matt wouldn't.

Agree. Self employed have the legal option of not paying into SS. 

I thought TLC pays gross wages - which leaves the stars to pay their own taxes and into SS. Reality stars on Bravo have a running theme of who owes taxes..

How long have they owned the farm ?

SS uses 35 years of employment history. I wouldn't put too much financial faith into Matt's jobs right after HS or even college.  Yes  - SS $$ went in, but still not talking about a major windfall that is going to change Amy's life in her 60s b/c he-she-they didn't earn that much at 19 or 22...

And I guess it is too much for Amy to get a 9-5 to start paying more into SS, if the plan is to max out $$? I've heard quite a few  doing just that - they were stay at home mom's . When kids were older/grown, they went back into the non-self-employed workforce.

image.thumb.png.dd6551475a7cc50a81657654cc9a2cc1.png

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3

I mean thats fine but TLC paid Matt's salary and Matt got a salary from his prior work places so he's in the system. He's worked enough at traditional jobs.  Technically, so has Amy as she also gets paid by TLC and has for years and has held other jobs.

3 hours ago, sATL said:

SS uses 35 years of employment history. I wouldn't put too much financial faith into Matt's jobs right after HS or even college.  Yes  - SS $$ went in, but still not talking about a major windfall that is going to change Amy's life in her 60s b/c he-she-they didn't earn that much at 19 or 22...

They have owned the farm since the early nineties. Matt was working in the software industry from the mid eighties to the early 2000s - Matt was making enough to indulge in cocaine at parties per his book Against Tall Odds.  The TLC employment history on top,... I happen to agree its not a windfall but if Amy is as desperately greedy as some claim, why wouldn't she go for it? Amy's own wages means her own SS is likely much less even with the TLC money.

Someone on this board was explaining that her SS is much lower than she expected because she was a teacher or professor for many years and typically those positions are not covered because they get a pension instead.  She only has credit for the years that she participated in the system.  I think if someone is classified as an independent contractor instead of an employee there may not be FICA withholding either.  But we are getting in the weeds here lol.

• Love 1

I believe Amy is a hoarder, too sentimental and suffers from FOMO.  Along with her own crap I think the kids left a bunch of their stuff at the "Big House" because they wanted it but they didn't want to deal with it and thought hey let's just leave it at Mom's.  The farm will always be a big draw for the kids and grand children...Amy feels she may "miss out" on family moments when she leaves for good.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Caracoa1 said:

I believe Amy is a hoarder, too sentimental and suffers from FOMO.  Along with her own crap I think the kids left a bunch of their stuff at the "Big House" because they wanted it but they didn't want to deal with it and thought hey let's just leave it at Mom's.  The farm will always be a big draw for the kids and grand children...Amy feels she may "miss out" on family moments when she leaves for good.

Agree. This is an example of where I hope Amy would have a true friend that could give her honest suggestions. A friend who has been in similar situations and can give honest and tried-true suggestions as to what to do with kid-adult belongings.  I'm keeping a running list myself that I am collecting from friends..

In Amy's case - the first big opportunity, was when the kids-adults closed on their permanent location. Zach and Jeremy has moved at least twice.  The second big opportunity, was day she closed on her new house, as she no longer lived there. One of my friends have marriage (or house/joining the service, which ever is first) on her list - ie be prepared to collect things.

Amy's personality probably enjoys calls from the kids like "Mom have seen my xxx.. Did I leave xxx over at your house".. which gives her a reason to rattle around looking for things.

I am not saying she has to depart from every memorabilia that the kids made/collected/earned/bought, but there is a line. Less is more. I wonder could she handle one of the kids telling her that they no longer need something and asking her why is she keeping it (story from a friend who produced a house-found violin from elementary school...)

How about using one spare room at her new house as a shrine for all 4 kids?

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

We've also seen that Matt has an issue with "collecting things" too, can you imagine how much sheer crap was on the farm in total for all of those years? Amy just took some of it with her but that still leaves everything else. And Zach has started his own collection in his house too (the garage and office that we saw), so I imagine he left a lot of crap at the farm and in the big house that probably either went with Amy or got shifted to elsewhere on the farm.

• Love 4

To me Amy seems like a hoarder, while Matt seems more like a compulsive shopper.  Matt seems to organize his junk or allow others to do it for him and would part with most anything if it turned him a buck.  Amy seems like she would need to sort through used pieces of aluminum foil because one of the pieces was used the first time she made cookies for her kids and since she can’t remember which one it was she will just keep them all.

I also think Amy’s standards of a clean/uncluttered house are just very low.  I’m not sure how much of it is because of her general nature, how much of it was as a rebellion towards how she grew up, and how much of it was a F U to Matt.  I don’t think she started doing this to “screw Matt”, but I think she enjoys that it did.  It’s sorta like Matt saying his work would be doubling by letting Amy know about when the contractors are coming out.  I don’t think his work would actually double, but I do think Amy would bitch about it everytime she received a text.  I, also, think Matt somewhat enjoys getting a rise out of Amy by not telling her this things although it’s hard for me to feel sorry for her because how many times did she change this deadline of moving her shit?

We can already see Chris tiptoeing around asking Amy to clean up or put away her stuff.  I think Amy has control issues (Matt obviously does).  Pure speculation on my part, but I think Amy grew up in a very rigid household and this disarray and chaos she had everyone living in was her way of knocking Matt down a few pegs.  

On a side note, for the life of me, I can’t see what Tori sees in Zach (other than the show/farm and I don’t particularly think she’s a gold digger).  He seems incredibly lazy and does not seem to make good decisions.  I don’t know if she’s bossy and he is easy to control or he acts completely different off screen or she is as dimwitted as he is, but hides it better. Jeremy and Audrey seem to be the same type of pontificating dolts, so I can see why they are a couple.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

On a side note, for the life of me, I can’t see what Tori sees in Zach (other than the show/farm and I don’t particularly think she’s a gold digger).  He seems incredibly lazy and does not seem to make good decisions.  I don’t know if she’s bossy and he is easy to control or he acts completely different off screen or she is as dimwitted as he is, but hides it better.

I don’t get it either, he isn’t even good looking, just my opinion of course.  She seems to enjoy making an ass out him by putting up stories on instagram where she asks him to pronounce words or if he knows the meaning of certain words as she laughs continuously and of course he doesn’t know.  Does she realize it’s mean?

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

To me Amy seems like a hoarder, while Matt seems more like a compulsive shopper.  Matt seems to organize his junk or allow others to do it for him and would part with most anything if it turned him a buck.  Amy seems like she would need to sort through used pieces of aluminum foil because one of the pieces was used the first time she made cookies for her kids and since she can’t remember which one it was she will just keep them all.

My small disagreement is that I think Matt is a hoarder and we've NEVER seen him in a position where he's being told that his stuff has to go and never come back. I'd also point how that Matt is very much "pitch it" about *other peoples things* but was, for example, pitching a righteous fit that some of his metal toy cars (not in good shape) ended up in the garage sale. 

1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

I’m not sure how much of it is because of her general nature, how much of it was as a rebellion towards how she grew up, and how much of it was a F U to Matt.  I don’t think she started doing this to “screw Matt”, but I think she enjoys that it did.  

Oh completely agree. I also think there's annoyance on her part because Matt gets on his high horse over a mess... and does nothing but bitch about it and wander off and eat salami and cheese. "I want the upstairs cleaned and now I have *important things in my office to do* so I have given orders!" is Matt's way of dumping off a chore. Then add in how the office is generally *messy* and his house had a hoarded up bedroom and Carol seems to do all the chores and basically I don't think Matt lifts a finger to keep things neat. 

I also think some of the very recent episodes were trash staged in that stuff was clearly being sorted but somehow there was bags of papers and trash strewn about the dining room and living room when frankly those rooms have been relatively neat since the kids moved out.

It’s sorta like Matt saying his work would be doubling by letting Amy know about when the contractors are coming out.  I don’t think his work would actually double, but I do think Amy would bitch about it everytime she received a text.  I, also, think Matt somewhat enjoys getting a rise out of Amy by not telling her this things although it’s hard for me to feel sorry for her because how many times did she change this deadline of moving her shit?

I think they're very much in "screw you" mode with each other and this is actually another example of how Matt is NOT completely over Amy and just wishing her well and not giving her any headspace. I don't think his work would double either and considering the major fusses Matt has made over security on the farm, its not unreasonable on Amy's part to ask to know what days he expects contractors out, but Matt made darn sure to pitch a fit over how he was NOT going to do it because its such a waste of his precious time and he's too busy to send a text message to AMY because it's JUST TOO MUCH. Matt clearly enjoys getting a rise out of Amy - yet another sign he's not over the relationship - but I also agree Amy never seems to see the traps he's laying for her. She also really needs someone in her life willing to be a good enough friend to lay down some harsh truths to her. Namely, she's 100 times better off than most divorced women and she's not helping herself at all by this endless mourning of the house and marriage. I'm convinced some of this is production enhanced but really. 

On a side note, for the life of me, I can’t see what Tori sees in Zach (other than the show/farm and I don’t particularly think she’s a gold digger).  He seems incredibly lazy and does not seem to make good decisions.  I don’t know if she’s bossy and he is easy to control or he acts completely different off screen or she is as dimwitted as he is, but hides it better. Jeremy and Audrey seem to be the same type of pontificating dolts, so I can see why they are a couple.

Tory wants to rule the roost and has been raised to cede to her man so she picked a man who lets her be the one in charge as long as she waits on him like his mom did. Jeremy and Audrey frankly have a similar dynamic - Audrey rules the roost all but in name, and Jeremy gets to piddle around with hobbies while she markets their image for funny and runs things. 

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

I don’t get it either, he isn’t even good looking, just my opinion of course.  She seems to enjoy making an ass out him by putting up stories on instagram where she asks him to pronounce words or if he knows the meaning of certain words as she laughs continuously and of course he doesn’t know.  Does she realize it’s mean?

I don’t watch a lot of their social media besides Amy’s, but I did notice Tory correcting Zach when he said biblical? cord instead of umbilical.  I mean I thought it was ok if she just said the correct word but the way she said it and laugh really made him look like a moron, which maybe is.  It did make me wonder if he and Amy just have no idea what the actual words of things are or if they have some sort of hearing issue or some other medical issue and had a hard time hearing or learning words. English is not my first language, so I always think, this must be pretty bad if I’m noticing it. 

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

It did make me wonder if he and Amy just have no idea what the actual words of things are or if they have some sort of hearing issue or some other medical issue and had a hard time hearing or learning words. English is not my first language, so I always think, this must be pretty bad if I’m noticing it. 

There are a lot (too many) Americans who seem to have a "close enough" philosophy when it comes to using correct words and/or grammar.  Amy's mangling of both are embarrassing, given her background as a pre-school teacher.  She was teaching a whole generation of her students that they shouldn't be "fustrated" when the "parmesian" cheese falls over and gets the "spring foam" pan on the counter dirty.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, EllaWycliffe said:

My small disagreement is that I think Matt is a hoarder and we've NEVER seen him in a position where he's being told that his stuff has to go and never come back. I'd also point how that Matt is very much "pitch it" about *other peoples things* but was, for example, pitching a righteous fit that some of his metal toy cars (not in good shape) ended up in the garage sale. 

Oh completely agree. I also think there's annoyance on her part because Matt gets on his high horse over a mess... and does nothing but bitch about it and wander off and eat salami and cheese. "I want the upstairs cleaned and now I have *important things in my office to do* so I have given orders!" is Matt's way of dumping off a chore. Then add in how the office is generally *messy* and his house had a hoarded up bedroom and Carol seems to do all the chores and basically I don't think Matt lifts a finger to keep things neat. 

I also think some of the very recent episodes were trash staged in that stuff was clearly being sorted but somehow there was bags of papers and trash strewn about the dining room and living room when frankly those rooms have been relatively neat since the kids moved out.

I think they're very much in "screw you" mode with each other and this is actually another example of how Matt is NOT completely over Amy and just wishing her well and not giving her any headspace. I don't think his work would double either and considering the major fusses Matt has made over security on the farm, its not unreasonable on Amy's part to ask to know what days he expects contractors out, but Matt made darn sure to pitch a fit over how he was NOT going to do it because its such a waste of his precious time and he's too busy to send a text message to AMY because it's JUST TOO MUCH. Matt clearly enjoys getting a rise out of Amy - yet another sign he's not over the relationship - but I also agree Amy never seems to see the traps he's laying for her. She also really needs someone in her life willing to be a good enough friend to lay down some harsh truths to her. Namely, she's 100 times better off than most divorced women and she's not helping herself at all by this endless mourning of the house and marriage. I'm convinced some of this is production enhanced but really. 

Tory wants to rule the roost and has been raised to cede to her man so she picked a man who lets her be the one in charge as long as she waits on him like his mom did. Jeremy and Audrey frankly have a similar dynamic - Audrey rules the roost all but in name, and Jeremy gets to piddle around with hobbies while she markets their image for funny and runs things. 

Your theory on Zach/Tori and Audrey/Jeremy makes sense.  I guess I just thought Tori could have had better options like a non-lazy passive guy or a smart passive guy.  I might say the same of Audrey but I think she better at presenting Jeremy as whatever brand she’s going for.  Jeremy seems equally stupid as Zach to me, but incompetent rather than completely lazy.  

Matt might also have hoarding tendencies, I don’t know the exact medical definition of one, but Matt has always given the vibe of he’s buying crap to sell or to turn into the latest farm “sensation”.  He didn’t seem attached to the things as much as he seemed attached to the buying or obtaining of them. He was invested in the chase, so it would be easier to let things go because there’s newer things to buy; whereas, Amy seems emotionally invested in every potholder in her house.    I still think they both have too much crap.  

Im not sure how your defining being over someone, exactly, again this might be more my ESL translation skills than anything.  I think Amy is still not over the affair she thinks Matt had.  I understand that, whether it’s true or not, it’s what she believes, so until she lets go of that anger she will never be over Matt.  It’s also one of the reasons I think she drug out the moving.  The hoarder tendencies didn’t help.  I think she lashes out at Matt, but it does her more harm to her than him.  I really think she obsesses in a way over it and because of it, isn’t really getting to enjoy her “second act”.   The only thing I think Matt is not over is having complete control over the farm/businesses.   I guess the best way I can say it is that if Matt got all the farm, money and businesses, he’d be on that farm with Caryn and trot around on the mule expounding on all the great things he will do next (even if they are not that great).  If Amy got all the farm, money and businesses, she be on that farm with Chris talking about how Matt is such a jackass.  

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Useful 3

Yet Matt is the one who talks about Amy when she isn't around.  He can't let hardly anything pass without getting in a dig about her.  They're both enmeshed and it probably won't be until the show is over that they mostly give it up except for family celebrations.  I know dozens of divorced couples who still have arguments over the grandkids' birthdays.  Divorce is something many people never completely get over.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

Matt might also have hoarding tendencies, I don’t know the exact medical definition of one, but Matt has always given the vibe of he’s buying crap to sell or to turn into the latest farm “sensation”.  He didn’t seem attached to the things as much as he seemed attached to the buying or obtaining of them. He was invested in the chase, so it would be easier to let things go; whereas, Amy seems emotionally invested in every potholder in her house.    I still think they both have too much crap.  

I've probably watched too many episodes of Hoarders but... "I have a use for this, I can use it to turn it into a farm sensation" is a variation of the Hoarder's Lament. I'd also argue that Matt's insistence on gaining control of the farm is in part because of Matt's need to control. Let's see how Matt handles getting rid of all the "treasures" and "special wood and nails" and the many many vehicles and see how long he's all "get rid of everything! I can live with two changes of clothes, a bowl for food and NOT ONE SENTIMENTAL ITEM" - because remember, this is the same guy who pitched a fit over his saved plaster casts from leg surgery as a child were mentioned as a possible throw out item.

I'm defining "over someone" as has been described here - being totally happy and not dragging up the past and not caring what the ex spouse is up to and not continuing to play spiteful games. Matt is cited as being over Amy but Matt can't stop complaining about her to his new lover and his family and is rather spitefully noting how notifying Amy of when he plans to have contractors over is way too big of an ask and he's NOT GONNA DO IT! 

Funny how Matt loves having an audience to hear how HE'S NOT DOING WHAT AMY WANTS BY GOD!  

These aren't the actions of someone over their ex, in my opinion.

24 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Yet Matt is the one who talks about Amy when she isn't around.  He can't let hardly anything pass without getting in a dig about her.  They're both enmeshed and it probably won't be until the show is over that they mostly give it up except for family celebrations. 

Nicely stated.

• Love 4

During the live chats with Amy and Lisa, they attempt to do damage control on anything that may have shown Amy in a bad light during the previous episode.  Lisa always throws some sort of shade at Matt.  

Edited by LucyEth
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

On a side note, for the life of me, I can’t see what Tori sees in Zach (other than the show/farm and I don’t particularly think she’s a gold digger).  He seems incredibly lazy and does not seem to make good decisions.  I don’t know if she’s bossy and he is easy to control or he acts completely different off screen or she is as dimwitted as he is, but hides it better. 

They are both idiots! First they purchase that inconvenient stupid house before they put the one they were living in on the market. Then they buy a 100lb dog (who I think is adorable but a stupid choice if you have babies). Then they don't understand why they didn't sell their (then current) house in a week and because of their idiot decisions they were left with 2 mortgages. Now Zach, a lazy, no talent, proven bad decision maker wants to take over the farm! I'll watch just to see these fools fail.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Frankly, I think both Matt and Amy are hung up on each other in certain ways, and the fact that they lived together so closely and still have a business together post divorce has kept them from really cutting ties as much as they could. Add on that they also have to film a TV show and the only draw besides new babies for the past seasons has been "how Matt and Amy handle the divorce"...I think it's created a very unhealthy dynamic. They've both supposedly found someone else and yet they have to go on camera and hash out every discussion and decision they've made since the divorce. Maybe they'd be in a better place if they weren't still so tied together...but then again maybe they'll always be the kind of exes who are still kind of hung up on proving that they're totally better off apart from each other, totally, how dare you imply otherwise!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Is Matt contractually obligated to badmouth/downgrade Amy on this show...even though he's in Arizona and not dealing with her at all?  

It would make sense since he works at it like it's his job.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, LucyEth said:

During the live chats with Amy and Lisa, they attempt to do damage control on anything that may have shown Amy in a bad light during the previous episode.  Lisa always throws some sort of shade at Matt.  

She's Amy's stooge for the nice check she'll be receiving in the mail!  Lisa like Chris is enjoying screen time and the $$$$!

Take away the money and we'd be asking "where did those two go?

Edited by Jeanne222
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Amy's mangling of both are embarrassing, given her background as a pre-school teacher.  She was teaching a whole generation of her students that they shouldn't be "fustrated" when the "parmesian" cheese falls over and gets the "spring foam" pan on the counter dirty.

I, and most people I know, pronounce parmesan similarly to the way Amy does.  So being the nerd that I am, I did a little research.  Here's what I found: 

"Parmesan" is the French name for an Italian cheese, so it should carry the French pronunciation. The strong presence of Italian immigrants in North America may explain why it's often pronounced "Par-mi-jahn", echoing the correct pronunciation of the Italian name, "Parmigiano", even when the French spelling is used."

There's a large Italian population out here on the east coast, so maybe that's why many of us in this part of the country use the Italian pronunciation, even though it's not an Italian word.  

Don't get me started on bruschetta!  I'm routinely corrected by waitstaff when I order broo-skay-ta, which is the proper pronunciation. 

For fustrated and spring foam, Amy's on her own.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3

I've heard others pronounce it "Amy's way" as well.  I am no linguistic expert, but I did study French in high school.  IIRC, the only way "parmesan" would be pronounced "parmesian" in France is if it were spelled with that "i" in the middle.  I even googled a translation app that does pronunciations, and they agree.  

As a former east-coaster myself, I grew up where dishes were warshed in a zink.  But I don't think it's a good idea for teachers (even pre-school) to not be corrected before they teach students.  I once had a junior high science teacher who taught us all about the "pi-tit-u-ary" gland.  I wonder how long it took before we (hopefully all) learned the correct pronunciation.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I've heard others pronounce it "Amy's way" as well.  I am no linguistic expert, but I did study French in high school.  IIRC, the only way "parmesan" would be pronounced "parmesian" in France is if it were spelled with that "i" in the middle.  I even googled a translation app that does pronunciations, and they agree.  

As a former east-coaster myself, I grew up where dishes were warshed in a zink.  But I don't think it's a good idea for teachers (even pre-school) to not be corrected before they teach students.  I once had a junior high science teacher who taught us all about the "pi-tit-u-ary" gland.  I wonder how long it took before we (hopefully all) learned the correct pronunciation.

That's true.  The French pronunciation would be parmesan, just as it's spelled.  The pronunciation as parmejahn is a hybrid between French (or English) and Italian.  If Amy threw a short a on the end of the word, she'd be speaking Italian, and properly.

Zink?  I haven't heard that one!   German?   I've heard "warshed," but it was from midwesterners.  

Our middle school gym/health teacher kept us informed about men-is-stration and pres-per-ation.  She also called a student named Lydia Lydie for three years.  Hopefully, to give her the benefit of the doubt, she was either farsighted or there was a perpetual typo on the student roster.  

I'm going to cut Amy some slack on parmesan.  When her preschool students come east, we'll know exactly what they want on their pasta.

• LOL 2
44 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Amy doesn’t pronounce it the Italian way either though, she adds a syllable making it par-me-see-an.  It’s like people that pronounce mischievous as mis-chee-vee-us.  The error is perpetuated in families.

Oh!  I didn't realize that. (I pay way more attention to the comments here than I do to the show.  They're infinitely more entertaining.)  Perhaps she's using the Kazakhstanian pronunciation?  Okay, Amy, I withdraw my support.  Straighten up and fly right, and stop butchering the English language.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2