Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Amy drives me nuts with her indecision!  Is she doing this deliberately to get Chris to take her off the property to his house or does he even have one?  

I think Amy is so indecisive because she still doesn't know what the future holds with Chris so she is putting a hold on her life until he decides the time is right, which by the way may be never. If Chris were to say, hey, leave the farm, cash in and lets get a really nice place together she would be off that farm so freakin' fast ! Let's get real, this is all about Amy waiting and wishing for Chris to make a commitment for the future. How many times does he have to say in his talking heads that "We're moving in the right direction", while Amy gazes adoringly at him. She doesn't really want to build or buy a house and live in it all alone. She wants Chris. Full time. All the time. Not just for summer trips, motorcycle rides and big holidays. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
14 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I think Amy is so indecisive because she still doesn't know what the future holds with Chris so she is putting a hold on her life until he decides the time is right, which by the way may be never.

I also think Chris has a lot to do with Amy's decision about the farm and why she won't make one.  Then there is the fear that Matt knows something she doesn't like maybe a gold mine or a hidden oil well waiting to be uncovered once Amy sells out.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Why does Amy have to make a decision at all about the farm?  When they divorced, they split the farm, she has one side, he has the other. 

Matt wants both sides, he wants Amy completely off the farm so he can do what ever he wants, which I guess would include tearing down the big house and building a new house for Caryn.

Amy knows Matt wants it all.  I think she's right to be suspicious that he could buy her out and then suddenly make a ton of money off of something on the farm.  Meanwhile he looks like a total jerk to be talking about getting her off the farm with Caryn (who's been so patient?) while all the kids and Amy are in Michigan, a place that Matt hated to go to because the focus wasn't on him.

The thing with Chris is...he's never been married.  This guy is late 50's?  A lifelong Bachelor? Is marriage really in the cards at this point?  He'd have to make compromises and sacrifices that he's never had to or maybe even not wanted to make before.  I don't blame Amy for not wanting to change her living situation at the farm when he's not making more of a commitment.

As for Amy's parents, at 70, that is a ton of work to have a camera crew, and 20 plus family members including babies come to your house for a week.  Can you imagine that happening at 90?  The fact that her parents can even keep up 2 homes at their age is crazy.  What an imposition for them, they have a right to be crabby.

I walked home alone from school at 6 and stayed by myself at home for hours at a time by the time I was 8 and this was in the 80's  I guess now parents would be arrested for that.

I was glad to see Tori packing in the previous extra time episode.  The week before it looked like Zach was doing everything.  Although I can't imagine her just throwing dishes into boxes with no packing material was really how they moved.

I did think it was interesting that Amy said Jer and Auj were wanting to move back to Bend since they weren't on the show anymore.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, kicksave said:

I agree...but more so, I thought it was rude of her parents not offer Chris a beverage...hell her mother practically ignored him. Her parents puzzle me...they allowed their dwarf daughter to walk home from school alone when she was in first grade???? I understand that "back in the day" kids walked home from school alone or in a group, I did that as well as everyone I went to school with, but not in first grade. My mother or one of the other kids mother would meet us at the school or at the corner by the school and accompany us/me home. I can't imagine how scared and lonely Amy must have felt walking home alone at age 6. I get that they aren't affectionate people but still! 

thought the same thing. her parents are strange. not cool to let your dwarf child, who, odds are, is going to be picked on, to walk home alone in first grade. they seem very cold. and clueless. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Rap541 said:

You don't have elderly relatives, 😉

It's their house and they probably drink decaf for health reasons and don't want regular coffee accidently turning up in their cups because if you're old and you take medications, you try to be careful about stuff like caffeine interacting and you really can't tell the difference between decaf and regular by taste. 

At the same time, they want to be hospitable to guests but don't want that risk so.... regular coffee is brewed downstairs (likely where they don't go easily as elderly people) and younger people don't have trouble with the stairs and there's no worry of contaminating the decaf but everyone who wants it still has coffee.

I think decaf tastes very different.

2 hours ago, LucyEth said:

I also think Chris has a lot to do with Amy's decision about the farm and why she won't make one.  Then there is the fear that Matt knows something she doesn't like maybe a gold mine or a hidden oil well waiting to be uncovered once Amy sells out.  

Well when it comes to sly Matt, that’s a valid fear...

• Love 8
7 hours ago, kicksave said:

I remember when Etan Patz was abducted the first time his mother allowed him to walk to school in Manhattan and even watched him walk down the block to the school...he was six at the time.

I was born and raised in New York City.  I was nine years old when Etan disappeared.  Until we were in High School, my siblings and I weren't allowed to go anywhere alone.  I believe that changed the way most New Yorkers parent, because when my kids were in Elementary school and wanted their independence, I would always use what happened to Etan as a cautionary tale.

I wonder what is the age difference between Amy and her sister and why she had to walk home by herself. As a matter of fact, I didn't see much interaction between them.  I was also wondering about the sleeping arrangement, because that cabin seemed rather small for that large group.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

Why does Amy have to make a decision at all about the farm?  When they divorced, they split the farm, she has one side, he has the other. 

Matt wants both sides, he wants Amy completely off the farm so he can do what ever he wants, which I guess would include tearing down the big house and building a new house for Caryn.

Amy knows Matt wants it all.  I think she's right to be suspicious that he could buy her out and then suddenly make a ton of money off of something on the farm.  Meanwhile he looks like a total jerk to be talking about getting her off the farm with Caryn (who's been so patient?) while all the kids and Amy are in Michigan, a place that Matt hated to go to because the focus wasn't on him.

Do you remember Caryn's comment about not wanting to movie into Amy's house? I think she let that slip accidentally and I think you're right that Matt wants that side to himself to build her a house. He should just build one on his side but I bet Caryn doesn't want to live anywhere on there as long as Amy is there.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Spike said:

I think decaf tastes very different.

I don't entirely disagree in that I can usually tell but again - they weren't being inhospitable by directing Chris to where the caffeine coffee was, and it's not unreasonable in a house of elderly and infirm people for weird things to be said.

My personal story? So my dad died and we were having the wake with the neighbors and my brother was making alcoholic drinks and he turns to me and says "Hey are you on <insert diabetic medication> because I can make this without all the fruit juice " and yeah, FYI younglings, things will change when you get older.  To where sending people down the stairs for real coffee will happen.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I'm going back to last week, but Tori packing for the move drove me crazy.  Just putting a stack of plates in a box with no packing material to protect them was nuts.  I wonder if any of the plates survived intact.  The whole move was nuts.  Especially when you are asking friends and family to help, you should be prepared and have everything boxed up and ready to go.  And Zach appeared to do pretty much nothing to help.

• Love 2

I don't think Matt will marry Caryn.  I think he's using her.  She knows this but she's going along for all the things she can't afford!  Vacations, winter's in Arizona, fancy meals and accommodation.

Matt's not going to share with anyone unless he gets a signed, air tight prenuptial agreement!

• Love 1
(edited)

It dawned on me, after watching this recent episode, that Amy will not give Matt any decisions about the farm until after she knows exactly where she stands with Chris.  Chris is the person who holds the power in all of this.  Sure, he and Amy have been dating for a couple of years and get along well BUT it seems she needs answers from him.  Does he want to marry her?  Does he want to live with her?  Does he want her to build a new home on either “side” of the farm?  Would he rather live in her current home?  It all depends on.....Chris!

edited:  I hadn’t read the latest part of this thread when I added my post.  Someone unthread clearly has my same feelings on this subject.  Sorry for stepping on your toes.

Edited by tinderbox
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

I did think it was interesting that Amy said Jer and Auj were wanting to move back to Bend since they weren't on the show anymore.

That's because in Bend, they were hot stuff (at least in their own minds).  They were surrounded by like-minded people who they hung out with, etc.  I never understood whey they left to begin with.

44 minutes ago, tinderbox said:

It dawned on me, after watching this recent episode, that Amy will not give Matt any decisions about the farm until after she knows exactly where she stands with Chris.  Chris is the person who holds the power in all of this.  Sure, he and Amy have been dating for a couple of years and get along well BUT it seems she needs answers from him.  Does he want to marry her?  Does he want to live with her?  Does he want her to build a new home on either “side” of the farm?  Would he rather live in her current home?  It all depends on.....Chris!

edited:  I hadn’t read the latest part of this thread when I added my post.  Someone unthread clearly has my same feelings on this subject.  Sorry for stepping on your toes.

I respectfully disagree.  I think Amy's just starting to really see a life not focused on her kids and think about where her own life is headed, but she's not quite there yet.  This period in her life post-divorce has just happened to coincide with her relationship with Chris.  I don't think it occurred to her earlier on that there would be a life that didn't focus on her kids and might be shared with someone else, but now that possibility's real to her because of Chris.  I see her more as evolving into more than a mom and what that next chapter really looks like in her life, which is one reason why she's hesitant to make any decisions.  

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, readheaded said:

I respectfully disagree.  I think Amy's just starting to really see a life not focused on her kids and think about where her own life is headed, but she's not quite there yet.  This period in her life post-divorce has just happened to coincide with her relationship with Chris.  I don't think it occurred to her earlier on that there would be a life that didn't focus on her kids and might be shared with someone else, but now that possibility's real to her because of Chris.  I see her more as evolving into more than a mom and what that next chapter really looks like in her life, which is one reason why she's hesitant to make any decisions.  

All of what you say is true.  All of it.  Chris is also a big part of the equation, as well.  

What I usually forget to consider when I’m posting is that what we are seeing on our tv screens right now actually happened about a year ago.  I don’t follow Amy on social media so I have no clue where she currently stands regarding the farm situation.  Has she, or Matt, revealed anything?  

• Love 2

Neither is leaving the farm until the show is over.  And when that day comes, I see both selling out completely, and going their separate ways.  Once the show is gone, I don't see pumpkin season making them anywhere near as much money as it does now, and it being more hassle than it's worth.  Never underestimate the power of being on TV or brushing with fame (even minor fame) to pull people somewhere.  This coming from someone who convinced her mother to drive 2 teens to a mall 60 miles away to try to meet Andrew McCarthy and possibly be picked as extras in a movie.  (Didn't get in the movie, but we did see Andrew for about 10 seconds.....from a considerable distance, natch).

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Amy is still living in the big house on the farm as of about a month ago. I don't check her Facebook that frequently since it's boring but for all the talk, she's still there. Also the property Matt goes on about building a new house on away from the farm was sold. With no house on it.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, tinderbox said:

I thought at one point she said she would not live with a man unless married to him.

When they were at her parents house and all sitting around visiting, why did Amy have that skimpy bathing suit on, and everyone else seemed to be wearing clothes? She was all but falling out of that halter..not very appropriate around her boys? Does she actually think she is hot do you suppose? Also she was saying how she hates having anyone pick her up. At her weight, I doubt that many could even if they wanted to. She has huge thighs and legs, upper arms and breasts,. I bet she weights a good 150 pounds? She needs to act her age when in public instead of being all over Chris.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 5/8/2019 at 9:15 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

So, Amy has always been fighting things inside her like fear, insecurity, etc.  I wonder who is was who picked her up.  I don't think that average size women have an issue with it. I'll speak for myself, but, I've been physically picked up a few times and loved it.  I was thrilled that I was light enough.  lol

I think for most average sized women, being picked up means you are thin, and is associated with fun and romance. For someone who’s LP (especially a woman), being picked up is a demonstration that you are extremely physically vulnerable (compared to average height adults) and it’s infantilizing. People pick up small children against their will- to do that to an adult is completely disrespectful, I can imagine it’s scary losing control of your body like that. Add in childhood memories where you may have been bullied and physically assaulted by people taller than you, being picked up would be a big NO. I understand why Amy would be upset. 

On 5/8/2019 at 4:43 PM, scenicbyway said:

The thing with Chris is...he's never been married.  This guy is late 50's?  A lifelong Bachelor? Is marriage really in the cards at this point?  He'd have to make compromises and sacrifices that he's never had to or maybe even not wanted to make before.  I don't blame Amy for not wanting to change her living situation at the farm when he's not making more of a commitment.

Yeah I don’t think Chris has any intention of ever marrying. I do think he likes Amy a lot, enjoys her company, and values her as a companion but I don’t think he has any intention to share his living space or finances with anyone. Also there is nothing wrong with that! Not everyone wants to marry or partner in that way, it doesn’t being they are a bad person or have emotional problems or insincere in their intentions. 

• Love 11
20 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

For someone who’s LP (especially a woman), being picked up is a demonstration that you are extremely physically vulnerable (compared to average height adults) and it’s infantilizing. People pick up small children against their will- to do that to an adult is completely disrespectful, I can imagine it’s scary losing control of your body like that. 

I had a friend who was a paraplegic and confined to a wheelchair.  She was the sweetest person on earth . . . UNTIL . . . someone would move her wheelchair (while she was in it) without permission.  For example, if she was in a restaurant and someone wanted to get past her in an aisle, they would move her wheelchair with her in it.  Even if they said, "Excuse me" first, she would straighten them out big time that if she were in a regular chair, no one would move her out of the way, and the fact that her chair had wheels on it did not give them permission to treat her like a shopping cart left in the middle of an aisle in a grocery store.  She would say, "If you had asked me to move, I would have.  But YOU did not have permission to move me."

I think that's similar to what Amy might feel.

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yeah I don’t think Chris has any intention of ever marrying. I do think he likes Amy a lot, enjoys her company, and values her as a companion but I don’t think he has any intention to share his living space or finances with anyone. Also there is nothing wrong with that! Not everyone wants to marry or partner in that way, it doesn’t being they are a bad person or have emotional problems or insincere in their intentions. 

Definitely nothing wrong with it but it might become a huge problem for Amy since in the past she's said more than once that she would never live with a man without being married.

She always acts like she's busting at the seams waiting for a proposal.

She seems quite religious yet she's obviously spent the night with Chris several times and I'm assuming that they had sex... so she won't live with him but she'll have sex with him?

Not trying to be a jerk but it's a bit confusing. 😮

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

I wonder what kind of checks both Chris and Caryn  are getting for appearing in the show?

I guess Matt is paid for all episodes but I wonder if Caryn is only paid for episode's she appears in?

I guess Chris would be the same?

• Love 1

Amy is the reason I watch this show.  She is inspirational and overcame so much heartache.  The Michigan storyline was very well done and gave viewers chilling accounts of childhood bullying.  

I think selling or splitting the farm is a storyline to tie the season together.  The script calls for her to be indecisive and Matt to be relatively kind.  

I have no opinion on Caryn but wonder how she puts up with Matt.  I really like Chris.  Doubt he wants to get married.  Amy should be happy to have a loving companion.  

• Love 2
On 5/8/2019 at 6:29 PM, msrachelj said:

thought the same thing. her parents are strange. not cool to let your dwarf child, who, odds are, is going to be picked on, to walk home alone in first grade. they seem very cold. and clueless. 

It was one thing to have her walking home from school back in the day, it was the norm, but when your kid has a bleeding ulcer, maybe you need to be finding out why. Amy and her brother both seem to remember never telling her parents what was going on. They were that cold and indifferent they never asked questions or tried to figure out an ulcer in your kid? 

Amy has taken to speaking in cliches and motivational posters of kittens hanging on a branch. I don't know how anyone puts up with that, just watching her drives me nuts and I don't even have to deal with her. 

4 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Definitely nothing wrong with it but it might become a huge problem for Amy since in the past she's said more than once that she would never live with a man without being married.

She always acts like she's busting at the seams waiting for a proposal.

She seems quite religious yet she's obviously spent the night with Chris several times and I'm assuming that they had sex... so she won't live with him but she'll have sex with him?

Yes to all of this. She's coming off as a bit desperate. How did she and Chris meet? It almost seems like he's just there as a plot line. For better or worse, Matt and Karyn do seem to have an organic relationship. Amy and Chris, not so much. 

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

How did she and Chris meet? It almost seems like he's just there as a plot line.

That's at least how Amy and Chris began if we believe what she said in a talking head.  IIRC it went that after the divorce production told her she needed to date.  She was all "DATE?" why?  So they set up a painting party or some kind of sip and something as part of an episode and that's where she met Chris.  

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

That's at least how Amy and Chris began if we believe what she said in a talking head.  IIRC it went that after the divorce production told her she needed to date.  She was all "DATE?" why?  So they set up a painting party or some kind of sip and something as part of an episode and that's where she met Chris.  

Wtf? I always thought they met by chance at a gathering Amy went to.....

So production told her to date and miraculously Chris the perfect age single average sized man is there and he's interested in LP Amy?

That sounds like a whole bucket of prearranged BS 😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

Wtf? I always thought they met by chance at a gathering Amy went to.....

So production told her to date and miraculously Chris the perfect age single average sized man is there and he's interested in LP Amy?

That sounds like a whole bucket of prearranged BS 😂

Better yet, he's interested in a woman who not only has a couple of needy grown ass adult kids, but is still all but attached at the hip with her ex? And let's be honest she isn't like a super model or have a glowing personality. A TLC driven plot is making so much more sense now. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

A lot of people follow certain tenants of their religion but not others. And I’ve noticed when it comes to sexual behavior, once women are past childbearing age, religious people are less critical of what a woman decides to do.

Personally I understand not wanting to live with someone you aren’t married to but being just fine with a sexual relationship- outside of religious reasons.  Living together requires a certainly blending of finances and life sharing that just being companions who have sex does not. I can see not wanting to cross those lines without the social and legal benefits of marriage. Who says Amy wants to live with someone else again? I’ve noticed for a lot of women in her position (long marriage, grown kids) they like living alone but still want a social life and romantic/sexual companionship. 

• Love 4

I can't even imagine that Amy would say openly in a TH that Production told her she needed to date.

The Paint and Sip was set up by Amy's friend Deb, after that Amy invited a bunch of people from the Paint and Sip to a pool party at the big house.  That's where she clicked with Chris and he invited her on a motorcycle ride.  She told Deb that she didn't even have a chance to speak to Chris at the Paint and Sip.  So if production arranged for her to meet Chris there, they probably would have at least spoken to each other.  If Amy was drop dead gorgeous would it be easier to believe theirs is a real relationship?  It's reasonable to me that Chris is not a shallow person, so was able to look past Amy's exterior to find the loving, caring person inside.  Also, I really think they'll end up getting married.  I also think Amy already knows what their future holds, but of course they wouldn't share that info with us.  I don't think Amy would still be with him unless he had made a commitment to her.

n

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

"Deb organized it" was the sell for the episode.  It was production's idea.  Amy flatly said it.  

I've watched that episode a dozen times, and I must have missed it every time.  Even so, the rest of my statement still stands.  It's a little, no a lot insulting to Amy that no one believes this fairly attractive, successful, average height man could possibly fall in love with her.  There are literally hundreds of pics online of Amy and Chris together with friends, family, travelling, etc.  Most of them taken without TLC cameras around.  If he's just a hired actor, his dedication to the job is astounding.

Anyway, it's a fun debate and I respect everyone's opinion.  🙂

• Love 13

I have no idea about Chris falling in love with Amy.  He's been around so long that he must have emotions involved.  I think it was a talking head in the last week or two where she addressed the party set up.  I don't think it was the online season preview, but I guess it could have been there.  I was surprised she mentioned it so it stuck with me.  

• Love 1

I do believe that Chris and Amy's relationship is organic, but, initially, there could have been a little element of hey, let's set them up for storyline purposes.  But, I'm ok with that.  I think he's in it now for real.  But, I do wonder if he really is considering a formal commitment. He says he has trust issues, because, he's been cheated on, but, IDK.  I don't buy it.  When you really are into someone AND want to marry them, you do.  That's my take on it.

Oh, after reading many posts here about it, I now agree that maybe Amy's indecision on the future of the farm IS DUE to her waiting on Chris to let her know what his plans are.  I get the feeling that regardless of what Chris said that he would prefer, Amy would go with it.

I sense that Matt and Chris might make good business partners, depending on the direction they take it. lol

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I sense that Matt and Chris might make good business partners, depending on the direction they take it. lol

The impression I get from Chris is that he respects Amy - a lot more than Matt ever did.  The thought of Chris pushing Amy out of the way and presuming to take on the business dealings with Matt or “partnering” with him in any way has not been something we have seen inklings of at all on the show, and it would be sort of disrespectful to Amy.

I really feel like some folks on this board are not giving Amy enough credit for having enough maturity and confidence to navigate life without a man making her feel whole and protected.  I know that Matt was her first, but geez, when you have had so much of what you don’t want in your life, you pretty much know what you do want afterwards and I don’t see anything wrong with Amy taking her time to figure out exactly what that is.  I don’t see her waiting for Chris to make all the decisions in her life and I don’t see why others do.  It’s really discounting her for no good reason.  This woman has been educated, held jobs, raised four children, started her own charitable foundation and fought for her own rights when faced with a divorce she didn’t want.  I see her being cautious and wanting to make the best decision for the rest of her life.  That decision involves dealing with someone that she obviously doesn’t trust and with good reason. 

While I’m giving my opinion here I also want to add that I am at a loss to understand why people feel like Amy and Chris’ relationship is “awkward” but Matt and Caryn’s is so easy.  Sure, Matt and Caryn have had a few more years of conjugal experience together so they skipped the get to know you, dating phase.  And Caryn is falling all over herself to fake concern for her dear friend Amy and for all the woes that she is causing for the long suffering Matt.  But she’s reaped a LOT of benefits from that already, so she must be damn good at it.  Amy’s dating life progression has been a bit more, shall we say, traditional.   The only thing I notice when I see them together is that they both look happy and that they are having fun.  What’s awkward about that?  

When she first met Chris Amy was a newly divorced woman who had never been on her own and didn’t know what life was going to hold for her.  She made statements like she wouldn’t live with a man she wasn’t married to because it was what she knew.  Dating and social norms have changed in the 30 years plus since she first dated and her opinions are probably changing as she navigates the waters.  Give the poor woman some credit for God sake.  She can think for herself and take care of herself and I see her making progress every day in crafting the kind of “second act” she wants.  If anyone jumped from the fire to the frying pan, it was Matt.  I say, you just go on Amy and craft the sort of life you want.  Married or unmarried, on the farm or off.  But don’t let Matt trick you into giving up more than your fair share of the life you built together in good faith.  That would be the final betrayal and she doesn’t deserve that.  

• Love 19

Amy has stated repeatedly that she's not into farm or house maintenance.  She doesn't get into certain kinds of duties that the farm requires.  Zach said it too.  He said that if left to Amy, the farm would rot, so, my point is that maybe Chris would be helpful in that role.  That way, Amy would not have to be stressed or doing stuff that she doesn't enjoy.  

• Love 3

Aside from Chris seeing how much Amy loves the farm and values the memories there when she took him on that tour, he has never shown any interest that I could see in having anything to do with it.  I have also never seen him trying to influence her one way or the other about it.  He seems to just be going with the flow.  I do think he could be helpful though, if asked.  Being a real estate agent, he could probably help her find the right people to do a valuation on the land and structures so a fair settlement could be reached.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

The impression I get from Chris is that he respects Amy - a lot more than Matt ever did.  The thought of Chris pushing Amy out of the way and presuming to take on the business dealings with Matt or “partnering” with him in any way has not been something we have seen inklings of at all on the show, and it would be sort of disrespectful to Amy.

I really feel like some folks on this board are not giving Amy enough credit for having enough maturity and confidence to navigate life without a man making her feel whole and protected.  I know that Matt was her first, but geez, when you have had so much of what you don’t want in your life, you pretty much know what you do want afterwards and I don’t see anything wrong with Amy taking her time to figure out exactly what that is.  I don’t see her waiting for Chris to make all the decisions in her life and I don’t see why others do.  It’s really discounting her for no good reason.  This woman has been educated, held jobs, raised four children, started her own charitable foundation and fought for her own rights when faced with a divorce she didn’t want.  I see her being cautious and wanting to make the best decision for the rest of her life.  That decision involves dealing with someone that she obviously doesn’t trust and with good reason. 

While I’m giving my opinion here I also want to add that I am at a loss to understand why people feel like Amy and Chris’ relationship is “awkward” but Matt and Caryn’s is so easy.  Sure, Matt and Caryn have had a few more years of conjugal experience together so they skipped the get to know you, dating phase.  And Caryn is falling all over herself to fake concern for her dear friend Amy and for all the woes that she is causing for the long suffering Matt.  But she’s reaped a LOT of benefits from that already, so she must be damn good at it.  Amy’s dating life progression has been a bit more, shall we say, traditional.   The only thing I notice when I see them together is that they both look happy and that they are having fun.  What’s awkward about that?  

When she first met Chris Amy was a newly divorced woman who had never been on her own and didn’t know what life was going to hold for her.  She made statements like she wouldn’t live with a man she wasn’t married to because it was what she knew.  Dating and social norms have changed in the 30 years plus since she first dated and her opinions are probably changing as she navigates the waters.  Give the poor woman some credit for God sake.  She can think for herself and take care of herself and I see her making progress every day in crafting the kind of “second act” she wants.  If anyone jumped from the fire to the frying pan, it was Matt.  I say, you just go on Amy and craft the sort of life you want.  Married or unmarried, on the farm or off.  But don’t let Matt trick you into giving up more than your fair share of the life you built together in good faith.  That would be the final betrayal and she doesn’t deserve that.  

I can't agree with, or like this more.  Spot....on.

I see Amy and Chris pretty evenly matched on many things - important things like intelligence, attitudes, education, etc.  He also seems to be a very calming influence on her, and genuinely concerned about her well being.  I love how he asks her "How does this make you feel?", "What would you like?" when she seems to be looking for someone to tell her how to feel.  It helps her to find her own voice, and that's a great thing - very empowering.  She needs something like that in her life, instead of someone who is just going to tell her what she wants to hear, and then either become resentful, or change their attitude when they get sick of it.  I too think that Amy will eventually evolve to understand that she doesn't have to be married to be in a committed and loving relationship.  

• Love 8

I think Chris may be a bit too ethical to have any business dealings with Matt.  Speaking of business, I was reading his Realtor reviews on Zillow, he has 5 out of 5 stars, 33 reviews, all perfect.  Many people have said that he did way more than his clients expected of him.  ALso, he's only had his real estate license for 9 years.  I wonder what he did before then? No more snooping about Chris for me, any more would be creepy.  😉

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Honey said:

I think Chris may be a bit too ethical to have any business dealings with Matt.  Speaking of business, I was reading his Realtor reviews on Zillow, he has 5 out of 5 stars, 33 reviews, all perfect.  Many people have said that he did way more than his clients expected of him.  ALso, he's only had his real estate license for 9 years.  I wonder what he did before then? No more snooping about Chris for me, any more would be creepy.  😉

What's weird is that at the top of his Zillow page, it says "Realtor (20 years experience)".   I wonder if he was licensed in another state?  

I was happy to see that he used "you're" and "your" correctly, lol.

• Love 3

I missed the eposide . how/why did Amy go from Detroit , Michigan to Portland, Oregon ?

For someone to be soooo "I want family"... she seems to have bolted clear across the US.  She left parents, cousins, siblings, etc. Where did she go to college ?  Was it a job that took her that far away? 

• Love 2

I'm genuinely confused. Not snarking. Why does Amy not seem to want the farmhouse that has been customized for her? Are the memories making her sad now? Why switch sides and rebuild an entire house at this point? I think some of you may be on to something with the possibility of Amy waiting to see if Chris makes a move in their relationship? Not judging that, I get it, that might actually make the most sense. I'd hate to cut all ties to the farm and then Matt would have total control over family functions there.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, seasons said:

I'm genuinely confused. Not snarking. Why does Amy not seem to want the farmhouse that has been customized for her? Are the memories making her sad now? Why switch sides and rebuild an entire house at this point? I think some of you may be on to something with the possibility of Amy waiting to see if Chris makes a move in their relationship? Not judging that, I get it, that might actually make the most sense. I'd hate to cut all ties to the farm and then Matt would have total control over family functions there.

The house is very large, so the upkeep is just too much for her.  Also, it's on the part of the farm with all of the structures that Matt built, so those have to be maintained as well.  That's why the DW is attractive to her, and I think that she would build a much smaller house if she built one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

I already know Matt is a gaping asshole, but that Caryn is a real piece of work, herself.  I probably pay about 80% attention to this show while it’s on, so I catch most of it.  I’ve noticed that Caryn is working overtime this season to paint a picture of Amy as if she’s this unpredictable, tumultuous, dramatic person who can’t control herself.  In every other talking head, Caryn expresses concern that Amy will be able to “get along” with her.  She all but bats her eyelashes when she says these things.  Cut to the social event and all I see are adults being cordial with one another and enjoying the party.  Meanwhile, Caryn acts like Amy is going to roar up to the house on the back of Chris’s motorcycle and bust a beer bottle over her head in front of the grandkids.  It’s really obnoxious.  I don’t think Amy is exactly America’s sweetheart, but her husband left her for the very woman who is shoved in her face at every turn.  I think she’s allowed to not be thrilled about it.

Newsflash, Caryn: Get over your adulterous self, you and your cheating boyfriend.

Edited by Suzy Rhapsody
  • Love 24
(edited)

Did Matt really just snark on Amy and her “ornery side” in regard to how Amy acts around Caryn?!?  Really?  Matt (and Caryn) are bewildered and confuzzled as to why Amy might have a hard time looking Caryn in the eye, or why Amy may not embrace having to share space with her during family events.  Again...really, you dumb cheating egotistical perpetual victim who screws the employee man baby?  You don’t get why Amy may not want to be chummy with the woman you slept with while you were married?  Does he expect Amy to call Caryn to go out to a “Sip &Paint Nite” with her other girlfriends?

I had hopes for Zach, but these last few episodes have shown me Zach is as impulsive as his dimwit father.  Never mind he gets a puppy (that will grow into a very large, energetic dog capable of knocking him down or dragging Jackson across the yard) in the midst of moving, or the purchase of a new house before selling the other one, or spending a boatload of money to redo the new house while paying mortgage and utilities on the old place, or he bought a house that he, (a dwarf & father of a dwarf with known osteo/mobility/ balance issues) hopes to “retire” in, but it has eleventy hundred stairs in it.  NOW he announces they want to get rid of the in-ground pool because it’s too much for him to keep up with!  They probably paid a higher price for that new house because of the pool!  And Zach didn’t think about the time and effort and physicality of maintaining a pool before making on offer on that Swiss Family Robinson tree house? He is a very bad, horrible, no good, terrible decision maker.

Edited by BusyOctober
  • LOL 3
  • Love 18
(edited)

@BusyOctober - I agree with every word you typed.  I am an able bodies person and all those stairs just turn me off.  Why would you take chances with a child, let alone a dwarf child?  I actually felt for Matt when he said he would never see the baby's room again.  How does Zach carry the baby up all those stairs?  They think the house looks huge, when in reality, the different levels just chop it up.

I ABSOLUTELY HATE when people don't put their dogs away when company comes over.  Very rude.

Edited by jumper sage
correct punctuation matters
  • Love 20
26 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

How does Zach carry the baby up all those stairs? 

That is an accident waiting to happen. Can you imagine when the dog is full size and Jackson or Zach is trying to get down the stairs and that big dog (when full grown will be huge and full of energy) comes barreling down behind them? I can not believe Tori wanted that house. Sometimes I think she is in denial that she is married to a dwarf and her son is also a dwarf. 

1 hour ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

Newsflash, Caryn: Get over your adulterous self, you and your cheating boyfriend.

She sure has become alot more mouthy and opinionated this season. The real Caryn is starting to show and I'm not liking it. 

• Love 12