Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

"Do you want to get back together?"

"Will you consider getting back together in the future?"

"Did you try to keep the marriage together? "

"Do you want your parents to divorce?"

"Do you think they might get together on the future?"

"Would you be happy if that happened?"

"Do you have 2nd thoughts or regrets on the divorce?"

Lady, shut the F up!

Like Molly said, there were other problems & issues.

• Love 3

The interviewer was terrible and she seemed to be going after Amy to get her to cry with the neverending divorce questions like she was trying to be Barbara Walters, enough!  

I noticed Audrey took Jeremy's hand away from his face and they shot a look at each other after she did it.  Appeared it was a habit she doesn't like.  I noticed in clips how often he does put his hand on his chin and rubs it.  It was interesting their Sunday ritual of clearing the air has prevented huge fights...wow.  There was some awkwardness surrounding if Audrey was pregnant or not.  

Jacob got out the minute he was legal, likely saying hello to sex, drugs and rock and roll!!

Amy is a very bitter woman and I find her hard to like.  She couldn't wait to put it out there on the dating subject "Matt has people" and she spat that out!  I did notice Amy looked much better, hair and makeup and she looked like she had some work done to remove that rough layer of skin from her face.   

I was not sure what Amy meant when she replied to the interviewer she didn't like where the subject was going or something??  

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

I was not sure what Amy meant when she replied to the interviewer she didn't like where the subject was going or something??

This is the way I recall it:  Andrea Canning asked a "viewer question" to Matt about what his next big project is going to be.  Matt says they are going to erect a giant pumpkin.  Amy interjects that it was her idea, by the way.  Andrea then says rather snarkily, 'oh, so no giant eye rolling over this project then, huh Amy, since this one was your idea" (major paraphrasing) which pissed Amy off, I am sure. 

Andrea then proceeds to ask all of the kids how they feel about Matt and his big projects & ideas and if they like that about him and/or do they think their mother is justified in being annoyed by all of it all of the time?  After Jeremy tried to rather diplomatically answer the question without throwing either parent under the bus (which, I think, Andrea was trying to do, she seemed to really have it in for Amy during this whole interview) she brings it back to Amy who then basically shuts the whole topic down. 

I figured Amy was pissed the minute Andrea said  eye rolling and then when she brought the kids all into it and kept going at it, Amy shut it down.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 1

Omg I forgot about the interviewer saying how surprised she was that Zachary turned out handsome... So awkward.

I have trouble with this show because I don't really find Matt or Amy likable, but that being said I feel like Amy came off really badly, like they had argued off camera and she carried it over but Matt dropped it. I wouldn't be surprised if Matt has been reading up here or other snark sites to see how he's been coming off and made some adjustments because he was up characteristically laid back last night.

Glad to see they aren't wasting anytime on a "our little family" crossover.

Edited by leighroda
  • Love 2
Making me think that Matt has spent monies on projects that should have gone to feed his kids.

OR it could mean that maybe he spent money on projects and she didn't get to do any of the ones she wanted.

Amy is not and was not a victim. Ok, she didn't want to do the show in the beginning, but here we are, 11 seasons later. I will cut the kids some slack because they had no choice in the matter but Amy gets no sympathy from me. She said on the show that Matt was impulsive from the day they met and he wanted to get married 14 days later.

In all the years that I've watched this show, I've seen Matt bulldoze and ignore Amy whenever she vetoed one of his ideas. But I also saw Amy shut Matt down anytime he had any thoughts or opinions on the children and what they should or shouldn't be doing. I can absolutely see how the bitterness grew in their marriage. She said it best when she said that there was a lot of "tit for tat".

• Love 6

I hope this is the last we see of the Roloffs.  Their shelf life expired a while ago.  I wonder how they would support themselves without the show.  I doubt pumpkin season and salsa will support them both.  They might actually have to get jobs!

• Love 2

An adult would have to have access to Jacob's accts until he turned 18.

As a minor, he could not open an acct in his name alone. But I sincerely doubt Matt took the time to take him to the bank. I'm sure Amy was probably the guardian on any kids accts.

I was a little surprised that Amy is even more bitter and annoying than ever.  Matt is self deprecating and complimentary of her and she is critical and hateful towards him.  Matt seems to be so content now that he's moved on.  And It seems Amy is upset that she has no one left to lash out against.  I hope her family and friends encourage her to get some counseling.  

Even Tori said it was difficult to navigate around Amy!  And the other kids backed her up!  I think that now the kids are older they are seeing how Amy manipulated them over the years.  I laughed when she said that of course, she wanted the kids to love their father.  Right!  

The best thing about the wedding episode was Matt and Jeremy's speeches.  

Will there be another season?

• Love 5

TLC has not always set up accounts for minors.  The state of Pennsylvania had to pass a law to get even a small amount set aside for the Gosselin kids.  Even then it was something like 20% for ALL of the children collectively.  So 20% split 8 ways and in accounts that the parents could access for health, education, or living needs was basically not putting money away for the individual children to be guaranteed to have in the future.

Did Matt and Amy even try marital counseling? They, especially Amy, could learn to communicate better. She is very negative and Matt doesn't seem to be. I bet a good counselor could help them get back on track.Does Aubrey have a chance of having a dwarf baby? Life for them is so Pinterest-y perfect that I wonder how she would handle that?

I wondered about this too. So much so that I googled. It seems if Jeremy is carrying the recessive or dominant gene she has a 25% chance. It all depends on whether the gene is dominant or recessive. Some of what I read went over my head, but that's what I got from it.

Edited by CourtneyCourt
  • Love 2

I said this on a different board and I will say it here.

Matt and Amy have the ability to say publicly that "yes, Jacob has a trust fund". TLC can also firmly say "I'm John Smith from TLC's legal dept, and yes, an account was set up for Jacob Roloff robe paid into when the show began".

Instead there's silence and "unnamed sources". If its true that Amy and Matt have put money aside in a trust fund for Jacob, it hurts them not at all to say so.

• Love 4

Zach and Jeremy have probably been getting quite a bit more since turning 18.  Now that Jacob is 18, the well seems to be running dry -- plus he obviously doesn't want to be on the show.  He dropped out of school, doesn't have a job as far as I know, yet could move out and drives a nice vehicle.  I think the kids on reality TV are cheated out of their childhoods and mostly aren't compensated enough, but frankly Jacob sounds like a lazy brat.  I feel sorry for him; his parents have pretty much ignored him (when they weren't putting him in situations that threatened his life), but it's time to grow up a little.

The problem, camomile, is that however you feel about Jacob being a lazy brat (and I have views on that as it pertains to the Roloffs) at the end of the day, as it pertains to the show, it totally doesn't matter if Jacob is the laziest piece of shit in the world.

Jacob was put to work when he was seven. He's spent his entire childhood on view. We've seen him cry and be openly and quite public ally called a sissy man by his father. Do you want to know how many people on boards like imdb and the TLC forums were openly stating Jacob needed to be physically whipped by Jeremy to "whip the queer out"? At age ten? Because a nine year old who cries and carries around stuffed animals must be a homosexual and is Matt's shame? And when he whore his boxers low, the fans called him a slutty skank. He was ten and facing public criticism of an intense nature. From age twelve on, Jacob has heard his parents intimately describe how since Precious Jer and Zach graduated high school they were empty nesters and let's be fucking clear, I really doubt the atmosphere at Chez Roloff from 2012 to now has been Matt and Amy treating each other nicely and respectfully in front of Jacob. Plus... Let's not forget how Jeremy has been public ally lavished with expensive shit because of the show. Jacob has been on the show for ten years and while Matt and Amy were quick to chide fans for judging Jeremy as anything other than the Golden Boy, Matt and Amy don't say boo.

If they were pocketing all the money until Jacob turned 18, hell yes he has a reason to be pissed off that he never got a cent of it, and since Jeremy has already peed on the tv show improved farm to claim it, he'll never get a piece of that either. Yes, Jacob wasn't starved or put in foster care, and yes, the show gave him material things... And it opened him up to a huge amount of abuse, in public no less. It may all be perfectly legal, but really, if I were in that family, I'd be asking where all the money went too. A used truck is a nice gift but do compare it to Jeremy's five cars, and three years of goofing off after high school and the amusing reality that Hard Working Jer couldn't hack LA and has NEVER held a job other than being his daddy's helper monkey.

• Love 19

I hope this is the last we see of the Roloffs. Their shelf life expired a while ago. I wonder how they would support themselves without the show. I doubt pumpkin season and salsa will support them both. They might actually have to get jobs!

Didn't Matt have a job

I liked the episode as well.  Seeing Jack with Zach was cute -- I agree that Zach will be a great dad one day.  I did think it was funny that they said Jeremy and Auj traveled from L.A. to see the other family, when we all know that they have been living in Oregon for months.  I doubt this was filmed with they still lived in L.A.

I really enjoyed the show last night.  It was a happy show and that farm is beautiful and I want to go there!  Matt has done a super job and so nice to see Amy happy and giving Matt credit instead of sarcasm or snark.  Seeing Jacob was a surprise and I guess that was his girlfriend.  The Hamill kids are cute and seeing Jack respond to Zach was heartwarming.  Also nice to see Cate and Cece all smiles, no meltdowns!  I am not sure if Audrey could have possibly applied any more makeup on her face!  She looked so out of place when the other girls were not wearing any!

• Love 1

This was the first LPBW show that I think I smiled all thru. Those kids were having fun. I didn't think they were monsters at all. Some people here can be so harsh and judgemental. I thought the interaction between the Roloff "kids" and the Hamill kids was genuine and sweet. Amy and Matt were gracious hosts. Their farm is really just beautiful.

• Love 4

I enjoyed this show. It's the sort of show LPBW should have been without the emphasis on sniping between Amy and Matt. I realize it existed, but it was also played up. If I had produced the show (at least in retrospect) I would have played it down. So much more fun to see the fantasy of Roloff Farms -- at least for me. There should have been more fun all along. I enjoyed the weddings shows for the same reason. I agree with ispansy about Jacob. It was an interesting IG, and I believe he was sincere. But I think he should have discussed it with Jack's parents first, too. At least he wasn't covertly undermining. 

Well, doesn't Jacob sound bitter.  Yeah, it must really suck to have had everything you ever wanted growing up, including family trips to wonderful places.  Then decide you want to move out, without even having a job, and in fact saying you don't want to get one, and drive away in your brand new truck.  Jeesh!  Grow up kid.

Well, now we know they weren't ignoring Jacob all those years, they were limited his filming because he didn't like it.

Edited by Honey

Jacob probably feels that he couldn't be honest with it when he was younger so he wanted to give the advice to Jack that if he's not ok with it, then that's ok. And that he shouldn't have to do it because mom and dad say so. 

Although he probably didn't have to publicly announce that he did that... I'm sure Jack's parents won't be real happy with that.. but it seems like Jacob wants to be a vocal voice about stuff now.  And he's still young so he has a lot to learn. 

Jacob's girlfriend kinda looked like Audrey.....

Well, when you make the decision to whore your kids out, you lose the ability to keep them away from 18 olds who don't share your values. Apparently the money makes it worth it to the Hamills.

Well, doesn't Jacob sound bitter.  Yeah, it must really suck to have had everything you ever wanted growing up, including family trips to wonderful places.

No. Jeremy and Zach got everything they ever wanted. Jacob was always the after thought.

Also, in all seriousness, Jacob is the child who has dvds of his parents stating they're done parenting when he was twelve. Seriously, if he had a choice between the trip to costa rica and a mother and father who *gave a shit*... he might have chosen the latter. But no, Jacob is what happens when two adults decide to stop parenting.

• Love 2

He's 18 and doesn't think about things from a parental point of view.  He hasn't had any example to give him that clue either. It looked to me like he saw a child with the same feelings and reaction he remembers from that age and reached out.  In actuality it's more empathy than I expected from Jacob given how he was treated growing up and gives me hope that he's more self-aware than I've given him credit for in the past.  That gives me a lot more hope for him to find a healthy mental place. 

• Love 5

Well, doesn't Jacob sound bitter.  Yeah, it must really suck to have had everything you ever wanted growing up, including family trips to wonderful places.  Then decide you want to move out, without even having a job, and in fact saying you don't want to get one, and drive away in your brand new truck.  Jeesh!  Grow up kid.

Well, now we know they weren't ignoring Jacob all those years, they were limited his filming because he didn't like it.

What I take from Jacob's recent comments is that this is missing the point...he didn't have everything he ever wanted growing up.  He's making it pretty obvious that the filming and "wonderful" trips and "adventures" made him uncomfortable.  Not everybody desires material things above all else, nor do material things always make one happy.  Case in point - Jacob.  Everything he ever wanted appears to have been a childhood that wasn't filmed and put on tv. And yes, he appears to be living off either Matt and Amy or what $$ he did get from the show, but he doesn't seem to be getting much joy from it...and I suspect that might have worked out differently as well had he not been on tv his whole life.

Regarding his interaction with Jack, I honestly don't find it be inappropriate.  They share an experience that very few people ever will, and I got that Jacob really just wanted to validate for Jack that he's allowed to have his own opinion about it....and that if his opinion is that he doesn't like it, that's okay.  I didn't get from Jacob's post that he was implying to Jack that he should  hate it or that he was trying to stir up trouble or discontent in Jack....just that it's okay if he does feel that way and that he isn't the only person who's gone through this experience.  And then he posted about it publicly on instagram, where I'm sure it will be brought to Michelle and Dan's attention - assuming they don't already know about the convo - so it's also not like he's trying to hide what he said to Jack.  In summary, I just really don't see any maliciousness in what Jacob did;  it feels like he sincerely connected to Jack and wanted to reach out to him in a way that might make things a little easier for Jack than they were for him.

• Love 6

Then after, I asked him how he felt about it and after a pause he said, "I like it medium", meaning not at all

This is where he lost me. Jack is a really bright kid and very good at expressing himself, aside from some issues with pronunciation. If he said he likes it "medium," then that's what he means. Or, if anything, he probably likes it just fine but sensed that Jacob wanted him to say something more negative, so he tempered his response. I appreciate that Jacob doesn't want other kids to go through whatever was so bad about his own upbringing (which I tend to think wasn't as bad as he wants it to seem -- he strikes me as a real piece of work), but it's also not cool to try to put that on a kid who may be doing just fine.

• Love 2

This is where he lost me. Jack is a really bright kid and very good at expressing himself, aside from some issues with pronunciation. If he said he likes it "medium," then that's what he means. Or, if anything, he probably likes it just fine but sensed that Jacob wanted him to say something more negative, so he tempered his response. I appreciate that Jacob doesn't want other kids to go through whatever was so bad about his own upbringing (which I tend to think wasn't as bad as he wants it to seem -- he strikes me as a real piece of work), but it's also not cool to try to put that on a kid who may be doing just fine.

Not trying to pick a fight at all and I haven't seen the latest episode yet, but is Jacob's interaction with Jack shown? Because it could have been body language too that lead him to say "not at all". Kids rarely complain about things they don't like (except vegetables). If they love something or like it they say so.  I remember when I was a kid my dad would ask me how I was feeling and I would say "fine" and he would say "fine fine or a little bit of fine" and if I said "a little bit of fine" my parents would know I was really sick.

Not saying Jacob's not projecting, but it's possible he saw something that made him say not at all.

Not trying to pick a fight at all and I haven't seen the latest episode yet, but is Jacob's interaction with Jack shown? Because it could have been body language too that lead him to say "not at all". Kids rarely complain about things they don't like (except vegetables). If they love something or like it they say so. I remember when I was a kid my dad would ask me how I was feeling and I would say "fine" and he would say "fine fine or a little bit of fine" and if I said "a little bit of fine" my parents would know I was really sick.

Not saying Jacob's not projecting, but it's possible he saw something that made him say not at all.

All I'm going by are Jacob's words on his IG. He didn't explain why he took Jack's answer to mean something other than what he actually said.

All I'm going by are Jacob's words on his IG. He didn't explain why he took Jack's answer to mean something other than what he actually said.

Yes Jacob's IG said he asked Jack how he felt about it and Jack's answer was "medium" and Jacob added his interpretation of what that meant.  

• Love 1

However, Jacob is not Jack's teacher, the Hamills did not hire Jacob as Jack's doctor, caregiver, or coach. He had absolutely no right to advise their child about anything. He overstepped his bounds

Then the Hamills should have been minding their 6 year old better.

Sorry, no sympathy from me. Jacob Roloff is easy to track down on line. The Hamills didn't chance on Roloff Farms on a lark. They left their precious little one alone with Jacob Roloff because TLC offered them money to do so. If they didn't want Jacob Roloff influencing Jack, they should have been holding Jack's hand.

• Love 3

He had absolutely no right to advise their child about anything. He overstepped his bounds.

I didn't see it as Jacob "advising" Jake.  Of course, none of us was there and don't know the extent of the conversation or the way it was presented, but it seems that Jacob sees himself as a child in Jake and feels sorry for him.  Jacob has his issues, but I really do see this as a caring gesture on his part.  Should he have shared it with the world?  Probably not.

• Love 2

Jacob needs to partner up with a talented writer and put out a tell-all.  He was probably too young to have learned much about the behind-the-scenes business of reality tv, but he must know some pretty good dirt on his own family and he certainly has his own story to tell about what was going on with the show as he saw it.  

And if Matt and Amy don't like it, tough toenails.  They exploited Jacob's entire childhood for the sake of ratings, and they seem to have been pretty crummy parents to him in general.  Turnabout is fair play, as the saying goes.  He doesn't owe them jack.  He should strike while the iron is still hot, too, with the show winding down and Matt and Amy divorcing.  Make as much money as he can while he can ..... I just hope he would have more sense than to blow it all on bags of weed or something.  

• Love 3

I agree with you, for me personally Jacob lost all credibility as a "mentor" or however he sees himself to Jack with the medium comment... he asked Jack how he liked it and he said medium, which I would think means he likes some things but not everything. I'm not sure where Jacob got that it meant not at all, because I'm pretty sure if that's how he felt Jack would have said he doesn't like it.

I think it's incredibly unfortunate that Jacob was brought up like he was and clearly unhappy, but he is not helping anything by projecting that to another child. I can understand how he feels in some ways, I was never on a reality show, but I did grow up with parents that were more involved with themselves and not so concerned how I was turning out, and it sucked, still does. I just think at this point though his bitterness is causing people to shut off from his message. Its not easy, and he is allowed to feel however he feels... But he does not get to decide what everyone else feels.

• Love 2

Jacob is not reinventing the wheel with complaints about kids being filmed!  A Minor Consideration founded by Paul Peterson was created to support child actors or children used as labor to support their parents.  EVERY parent of a child on tv is permanently altering their childhood to further their own interests most or all of which are financial. 

• Love 4

In that he says that Jack VISIBLY doesn't like being filmed.  I don't understand how Jacob would know that. 

Jack can easily seem to not enjoy the filming because he was at a strange location and around strange people.  

I don't understand how Jacob would know that.

Perhaps he saw something that wasn't shown to the viewing audience? I mean, I have on good authority that Matt used to sit at the kitchen table and openly mock the more devoted crazy fans, but I never saw that on the show. Doesn't mean I don't believe it - especially after seeing some of Matt's snotty, hostile interactions with fans on line. I mean, I never SAW it visibly but frankly I've always had the impression Matt held his fans in a certain amount of disdain.

I'm sure its conceivable that Jack could have done something to give the impression he wasn't happy about filming. Now, I think it's also possible Jack might have been having a bad day and or Jacob might have misinterpreted Jack's reactions based on his own experiences. But, because Mama Hamill feels like a raging bitch of a stage mother, and because I know TLC doesn't give two shits about the kids on these shows, I do have to question whether Jack wants to be filmed.

• Love 5

I don't find it hard to believe Jacob's interpretation of what Jack said to him.  Jacob was there, he had the actual conversation with the child, and he got to observe Jack with the cameras both on and off him.  It is totally possible Jacob saw a genuine difference in how Jack acted when the cameras were on vs. when the cameras were off, and what Jacob saw supports the idea that when Jack said he liked being filmed "medium" he really meant "not at all."  

Just because a person has had a personal experience with a situation that left them with strong feelings about that situation, it doesn't mean they are necessarily tainted and biased and incapable of fairly assessing what is going on with another person who is going through what they went through.  Projection is one possible outcome in such a scenario, but so is empathy, identification, and a superior ability to relate.  

As far as Jacob overstepping by talking to Jack about how he felt, I think it is a really sad idea to think that no one aside from parents should be able to talk to a kid about how he feels about what is going on in his life.  Sometimes your parents are selfish, self-absorbed jerks (like Matt and Amy) and a little tiny bit of interest and support from someone who is not them can mean the world to a kid.  I bet Jacob wishes someone had reached out to him and validated his feelings about having a camera jammed in his face when he was seven, and that has a lot to do with his choice to reach out to Jack.  It hardly sounds like he was twisting the kid's arm to make him talk or forced a discussion of a painful, traumatic subject. I don't have a problem with it at all.  

That being said, I wish Jacob had not have posted about his conversation with Jack.  The poor kid's privacy is already being invaded enough, and I am sure he had no concept of the possibility of Jacob making what he said public.   Perhaps Jacob should have gone to Jack's parents.  But I think that would have been a waste of time. These are the same twits who have invited cameras into their home to record (and interfere) with their normal everyday family interactions with their three small children, and I doubt they are going to care much that Jacob Roloff thinks one of their kids doesn't like being filmed.  If they were capable of that level of compassion, they never would have signed up to do their TV show in the first place.

• Love 4