Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
NewOrleansLady

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

I think a lot of people struggle with gift giving. But Matt's choices were both things he wanted from Amy (more organized house) and digs at her at the same time. It appeared to me completely deliberate on his part.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, AZChristian said:

I don't think the shadowing "gift" was designed to make Amy work.  Amy had expressed an interest in turning the farmhouse in a B&B after the kids were gone.  With that in mind, Matt made reservations for them to stay at a B&B for their anniversary so she could see how a B&B is run.  He had also arranged for the owner to spend some time with Amy answering her questions, etc.  But then, as turned out, the housekeeper didn't show up, so the owner had to talk to Amy while she was changing sheets, etc.  Amy seemed surprised that the owner had to do that sort of thing, but the owner explained, "When the staff doesn't show up, it's my responsibility to do their job."  Amy never mentioned the B&B again (as far as I can remember).

I also have OCD, but it manifests itself in hyper-organization.  I cannot stand clutter.  Have you ever watched Marie Kondo on Netflix?  She's awesome for organization and storage ideas.  Hubby will even look at some of his older (tighter) clothes and ask, "Does this spark joy?  No?  Out with it!"

It's all perspective, like anything else.  He may have thought she would like it, but she obviously didn't.  I would prefer something more sentimental, and I have a feeling Amy would have too.  All goes back to them not knowing each other.  😉

I haven't watched Marie Knodo, but I know lots of people who have.  I learned a lot from Clean House.  I can make decisions, but when I'm feeling overwhelmed, it gets harder.  So I do their method of boxes: "Keep", "Toss", "Donate", "Unsure".  Toss immediately goes out of the house when it's full.  I don't want to be tempted to overthink.  Donate also immediately goes out of the house to the car so I'm not temped to change my mind.  I will then re-evaluate "Unsure".  Often, I find I can make a clearer decision once the rest of the stuff is done, and stuff will go mostly to Donate.  Anything left goes to "Keep", and I've been known to re-evaluate "Keep" if I'm in the right frame of mind. Then I make myself handle the "Keep" box immediately.  Then I start all over.  It enables me to sort fairly quickly, and keeps the overwhelming feelings from escalating. 

They also had the mantra, once the house is organized, that if you bring something new in, something old must go (preferrably 2 old things must go).  And I try very hard to stick to that.  It helps that a store opened up where she buys purses, clothing, etc, for cash or store credit.  I love that I can take garbage bags full of stuff in that I don't need, and come out with one thing I really wanted.  😀

• Like 6

There was no pleasing Amy!  Nothing Matt did suited her.  So now she's alone well there is Chris!  So there's that!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

There was no pleasing Amy!  Nothing Matt did suited her.  So now she's alone well there is Chris!  So there's that!

Maybe all she wanted was someone that didn't blow money on silly, never finished projects and actually helped raise his own kids.

• Like 16
  • Useful 1

11 hours ago, bobalina said:

Maybe all she wanted was someone that didn't blow money on silly, never finished projects and actually helped raise his own kids.

Or, just someone who could refrain from driving while drunk and screwing the help.  

• Like 17

Off topic, but TLC has at least three dwarf shows. Could they please have at least one that shows happy people? Is this what they want to educate us about little people, that most of them are just plain miserable?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Matt was a shit husband but you know what?  Amy is financially secure and has everything she has today due to Matt and his crazy ideas.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2

39 minutes ago, Caracoa1 said:

Matt was a shit husband but you know what?  Amy is financially secure and has everything she has today due to Matt and his crazy ideas.

Amy and the kids worked just as hard as Matt for the show money. Amy has continued to explore new businesses. She's just as responsible for her monetary sucess.

• Like 13

Amy hasn't been successful in any of her ventures!  The B&B was a bust once she found out there was work involved!

The cakes bombed when the shop making them had rats!

Now she's tooting a book nobody will buy!

Three unemployed, lazy sons completes her resume!

• Like 4
  • Surprise 2

8 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Amy hasn't been successful in any of her ventures!  The B&B was a bust once she found out there was work involved!

The cakes bombed when the shop making them had rats!

Now she's tooting a book nobody will buy!

Three unemployed, lazy sons completes her resume!

She's still selling baked goods.

What about the salsa?

And those three boys are on Matt's resume too.

• Like 8

Can someone help me?  Does anyone know the poster who was so kind as to post the weekly ratings and rank of the show for each episode?  

3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Can someone help me?  Does anyone know the poster who was so kind as to post the weekly ratings and rank of the show for each episode?  

Absalom

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bobalina said:

What about the salsa?

Pretty sure the salsa is made by a company, not Amy's creation.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

Pretty sure the salsa is made by a company, not Amy's creation.

They're her recipes.  There is a company that manufactures and packages it for them, which is not unusual.  My cousins are summer food vendors, and when I was younger, they processed their own meats.  It was a family affair and everyone dug in and helped.  But as time went on, food laws got more strict, summer demand increased, farming costs skyrocketed, people in the family aged/passed on, and there was a big interest in getting their product past the summer season.  It was a no-brainer to take their recipe to a meat processing plant about 30 minutes away.  It's their personal recipe that they have the facility run for them when it's needed.  My cousins retain ownership of the recipe, they handle marketing and distribution (90% of which is to their business directly - only a small handful of local outlets sell their product to the public).  They have none of the headaches - the processing facility deals with those.

There's no way the Roloff Family would have been able to handle production.  Plus they sign the headaches off to someone else.  Win-Win.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Like 5
  • Useful 3

I'm pretty sure it was Matt that started the process of using a commercial company to make and process the Salsa.  I remember him going into places that would allow him to place the salsa in their stores and businesses.  Marketing sells the salsa and that's Matt surely not Amy.

If it were up to Amy she would occasionally stir up a batch of maybe 8 jars, slap a label on it half cock eyed and offer it for her contribution to Pumpkin season.  Sigh.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

I'm pretty sure it was Matt that started the process of using a commercial company to make and process the Salsa.  I remember him going into places that would allow him to place the salsa in their stores and businesses.  Marketing sells the salsa and that's Matt surely not Amy.

If it were up to Amy she would occasionally stir up a batch of maybe 8 jars, slap a label on it half cock eyed and offer it for her contribution to Pumpkin season.  Sigh.

And if it was up to Matt it would have been produced once and faded away with all the other "projects"

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, bobalina said:

And if it was up to Matt it would have been produced once and faded away with all the other "projects"

I believe they're still selling the salsa.  Matt did a wondering with packaging and labeling.  You can pick up one of the jars at pumpkin festivities!

• Like 4

Moderator Reminder:

Although disagreement and lively discussion are encouraged here, please be mindful to respect the opinions of your other posters. 

Disagreeing with another poster is fine, attacking a poster (or multiple posters) for their opinion is not. Your post should remain primarily about the show, not other posters reactions to the show. 

This is not an “Pro-Amy/Matt” or “Anti-Amy/Matt” forum and no one is required to defend themselves for having an opinion either way. 

• Like 4

Scarlett45

Moderator Reminder:

Although disagreement and lively discussion are encouraged here, please be mindful to respect the opinions of your other posters. 

Disagreeing with another poster is fine, attacking a poster (or multiple posters) for their opinion is not. Your post should remain primarily about the show, not other posters reactions to the show. 

This is not an “Pro-Amy/Matt” or “Anti-Amy/Matt” forum and no one is required to defend themselves for having an opinion either way.