Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

Amy keeps saying she thinks Matt knows something and she's scared he's going to rip her off in any monetary transaction but I don't buy it because she has Chris and he would know what a fair amount would be for Amy's portion of the property plus she could always hire an expert to make sure she was treated fairly.

I think what's really stopping Amy is the thought of Matt keeping the farm and not allowing her to attend family functions.

Plus this is where I think Matt could wind up using it to be a real jerk by throwing endless celebrations and get togethers just to spite her.

If that's the reason she doesn't want to sell it's a real problem... She either has to stay or decide to sell and go make a new home with new memories.

I really wouldn't want to be in her position.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
51 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

Amy keeps saying she thinks Matt knows something and she's scared he's going to rip her off in any monetary transaction but I don't buy it because she has Chris and he would know what a fair amount would be for Amy's portion of the property plus she could always hire an expert to make sure she was treated fairly.

I think what's really stopping Amy is the thought of Matt keeping the farm and not allowing her to attend family functions.

Plus this is where I think Matt could wind up using it to be a real jerk by throwing endless celebrations and get togethers just to spite her.

If that's the reason she doesn't want to sell it's a real problem... She either has to stay or decide to sell and go make a new home with new memories.

I really wouldn't want to be in her position.

It sounds like six of one and half dozen of another!  I'm guessing they split any money but I'm thinking that home and land is part of that LLC or some initials they speak of.

That's the sticking point and I'm sure neither of them can spend a dime on the property without the other agreeing.  I also think any money made such as Pumpkin Season goes into that shared LLC too.  If Matt is doing most of the work on pumpkin season that has to be a bigger pill for him to ask permission every time he wants to buy something for the farm.

I'm also thinking Amy is tired of sinking that same money into Matt's toys such as that ship I hear them bicker about!

They may be divorced but they are still living that marriage every single day!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Joan of Argh said:

Bingo! Although I will qualify this with how Matt would *never* actually say "It's my house now, so Amy is no longer allowed on the property and is not welcome at any family events, is that understood?" to anyone. Matt's way too conscious of public opinion to actually be a man and make a clear statement. What Matt would do is *publically* tell people that of course Amy is still welcome at pumpkin farm events and he *loves* having her show up - and then make sure to not tell her when events are occurring and also make sure that if she does show up, that he makes it very very clear that he's really not happy, and thats all her fault, and she's ruining his good time and more importantly, the kids good time. Since Amy actually cares about the kids having a good time, she will stay away despite Matt's public protests on how welcome she is. No doubt he will also publically ponder why Amy is being so difficult when he is so wonderfully open to having her around. 

I think he would throw some parties and events to make the point that he rules the roost, but I think that would end as soon as Amy stopped engaging him. Matt sees the house as the prize that attracts the kids. What I suspect is that while yes, that's in play, it's also Amy's willingness to be a hostess that is part of it. She seems to enjoy having the family and friends over. With Matt, if it's not his idea to have the party, he's not happy. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Amy and Matt should know the value of the property, regardless of who sells and/or who stays. IMO that should have been done prior to signing the final divorce - so that each knows exactly , in dollars and cents, what is it really they are fighting about.

It could be they are carrying on as if the acreage and buildings are the next tropical island with attractions that would put Disney World to shame, when in fact it could be mortgaged to the hills, or the land can't be used for the next big thing (ie sudv/strip mall), un-farmable for xwyz crop, zoning issues, etc.

Sad to say, when someone comes out and does the property valuation, its not going to include "memories " - past , present and future - which I think the both of them thinks that increases the value of the properties.

Now one little point that might be attractive in the value, while reminiscing about a memory of child-rearing, is the school district - does Amy/Matt feel their kiddies got a great k-12 education and is that school cluster still strong - ie parents are willing to pay more to live there ?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

That's the sticking point and I'm sure neither of them can spend a dime on the property without the other agreeing.  I also think any money made such as Pumpkin Season goes into that shared LLC too.  If Matt is doing most of the work on pumpkin season that has to be a bigger pill for him to ask permission every time he wants to buy something for the farm.

Matt is not doing more  on the farm during pumpkin season than Amy. He’s driving the various farm carts they have to check on workers.  saying hi to folks, etc. he has a farm manager ( which is what Caryn was ) to actually run the pumpkin season. Amy and the Kids( along with hired help) actually work at the cashiers stand, run the tractors for the tours etc. Amy dresses in costume, etc. we’ve seen this shown on the show for years.  They both contribute in their own way. They both own 50%, so yes, they both have to agree on where the money gets spent.  That’s the way partnerships work.  

• Love 3

If Amy sells out to Matt and Matt throws all sorts of extravagant events just so he can leave Amy out, she could just do the same where she lives.  Invite her kids over and not include Matt.  If the kids want to have Bday parties etc at the farm, they shouldn't do it if Amy is not welcome.  They should have these events at their homes where everyone would be welcome.  That way they are on neutral ground.  

• Love 2

More thinking about all of this and I think the value of the farm lies in Little People Big World!

I'm thinking without the farm the show would end!

just think of all of these reality folks alone on their own with no farm!  I don't think any of their personal stories are interesting without their roots.  Roloff Farm!

• Love 1
On 5/4/2019 at 3:45 PM, sATL said:

hmmm.. Maybe its just the middle aged men I've come across and/or related to... but they would have just wrote a donation check for movers or did something painless like drive the truck. Impressing your "girlfriend" at this stage of the game only goes so far.

And that also goes for Amy - I wouldn't have volunteered my "boyfriend" to help my grown kids move. And wouldn't have expected my current romantic interest to do so - even if they volunteered or not. Sets a precedent that seems a little of over stepping bounds.

I don't know that Chris was forced.  He seemed to volunteer, and maybe he did so because Amy wasn't home, and he figured it would be a good way to get to know Zach a little better, and help him out.  Plus he seemed to actually like filling up the truck, talking about how he got the younger kids to listen to his ideas and let him "Jenga" the truck.  He just hoped that they had everything ready when he got there, and on cue.....

19 hours ago, sATL said:

Now one little point that might be attractive in the value, while reminiscing about a memory of child-rearing, is the school district - does Amy/Matt feel their kiddies got a great k-12 education and is that school cluster still strong - ie parents are willing to pay more to live there ?

Their kids went to private Christian school.

• Love 2
On 5/4/2019 at 3:45 PM, sATL said:

hmmm.. Maybe its just the middle aged men I've come across and/or related to... but they would have just wrote a donation check for movers or did something painless like drive the truck. Impressing your "girlfriend" at this stage of the game only goes so far.

Mine would have done that, lent trucks and then laughed their asses off.  I can see them taking kids over during the move.

On 5/1/2019 at 12:19 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Getting friends to help you move when you're quite young is one thing, bUT once you're grown, you really do need to hire professionals. If a friend hurts their back and can't work for a few weeks, it would make you feel awful. Plus, to me it's a imposition. I think those guys did do a lot of work. Chris's shirt was wringing wet. Lol

Plus where was the beer and pizza?  Everyone knows that's the standard menu for getting people to help you move.  It must have been a hot day since everyone was sweating heavily, so where were the refreshments?

Regarding the multi-level new home that people on Instagram etc are freaking out about, kids have been learning the climb and descend stairs for centuries, I think they (even the little people ones) can handle it without dying.  Some people need to just wrap their kids up in bubble wrap...problem solved.

• Love 1
On 5/1/2019 at 12:21 AM, Jeanne222 said:

It's going to take them 20 years to find all their stuff Zack dumped in those boxes!

I cannot believe they bought a five level house!  Stairs everywhere!  Zack will hardly be able to get himself up and down let alone carrying a child or baby!

I wonder whose idea that was?  Zacks first home that they are selling was very handicapped friendly!

You have to remember that one level is an attic and one level is a basement, those aren't used every day, so it's really a 3 level house, just more than normal. We live in a 5 level house, the bedrooms are on the 3rd and 4th floors, and aren't used numerous times throughout the day. 

• Love 1

Amy doesn't want to live in the big house, but she hates the thought of Matt living there even more. 

Where are you getting this from?  She very clearly suggested that they switch homes, and Matt refused because it wasn't his idea.  Well, it wasn't his idea now, it was his idea a couple of seasons ago,  but since now Amy has decided that it would work for her, he all of a sudden can't even imagine leaving the DW, and she's a selfish bitch for even suggesting it.  I give Amy credit for never killing that man.

• Love 7

Pondering the dilemma  that Amy doesn't have enough money to buy Matt out... and vise versa ...

Just how do other divorced couples manage to get out of this jam,  if they didn't have a prenup? Surely they are not the first couple who owned property jointly that still had a mortgage or had some value to it.  There has to be some kind of "bank transaction" get one of them out of this 50-50 joint venture.

People buy and sell investments all of the time and it's not like they ran to the ATM to get cash, or to the bank to get a cashier's check., 

The "bank transaction" is called Amy gets a loan, and buys Matt out, then sells the part she doesn't want, and pays the bank back.

• Love 2

I don't know that Chris was forced.  He seemed to volunteer, and maybe he did so because Amy wasn't home, and he figured it would be a good way to get to know Zach a little better, and help him out.  Plus he seemed to actually like filling up the truck, talking about how he got the younger kids to listen to his ideas and let him "Jenga" the truck.  He just hoped that they had everything ready when he got there, and on cue.....

Their kids went to private Christian school.

He said he was going to "Tetris" the truck, which I thought was really cute.

Sorry about the nitpick.  🙂

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Honey said:

He said he was going to "Tetris" the truck, which I thought was really cute.

Sorry about the nitpick.  🙂

I blame tiredness.  😁

I got to watch this over the weekend, and closely watched for the part where Amy and Chris were doing a TH, and Chris mentioned the multiple levels, with Amy slightly interrupting "Because he's LP?".  I saw nothing angry in Amy's reply.  I saw someone who is SO used to having to "educate" people over the years that it becomes second nature.  I'm short, but not quite to LP levels.  I am also a diabetic, and the amount of unsolicited diabetes "advice" and commentary I get from people is overwhelming, and I'm used to the quick "No, it's fine.  I'm fine.  Yes, I can eat this." that I'm sure I came off like that once or twice.  And Chris was just as calm and rational sounding in his "No, because they have a toddler" response.

• Love 6

I believe if Matt decided to sell out and get rid of the farm permanently, Amy would be willing to let go of her "memories of the kids growing up on the farm" and she'll sell out too...she's afraid of missing out on future family events that the children will have at the farm... Not that I blame her.

• Love 3

Lets face it nobody is selling the farm until they all decide the cash cow network is over.

This is how they make a living and how their kids make a living.  None of them work.  They are reality stars.

Roloff Farms will exist as long as the network keeps renewing their contract and the Roloffs keep signing on for another season.

The two of them go together like bookends.  Show/Farm. 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Lets face it nobody is selling the farm until they all decide the cash cow network is over.

This is how they make a living and how their kids make a living.  None of them work.  They are reality stars.

Roloff Farms will exist as long as the network keeps renewing their contract and the Roloffs keep signing on for another season.

The two of them go together like bookends.  Show/Farm. 

I agree, and isn't the "farm" only open to the public for what 3-4 weekends a year ? All the money they have currently is from the show, I would think very little is from actual pumpkin sales after overhead. Not sure how Matt's other business/book & flipping is doing and Amy seems to have given up her on the fly bakery. 

• Love 2

Is calling the Upper Peninsula the ‘UP’ a thing or is Amy trying to make it a thing?

Those old pics they showed of Amy? Zach is her twin! 

Why do Zach and Tori (in their talking heads) always look like they’re ready to rob a bank?

90 years old is amazing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Nothing ever makes me tear up, really ever, but Amy said something tonight that actually did.  She said she probably will never get this moment back again, her parents, her kids and Grandkids, her siblings and their families, and Chris all together.  We don't often think like that when we're in the moment, take it all in, and appreciate it while it's happening.  We really should.

• Love 14
On 4/26/2019 at 10:04 AM, Rap541 said:

This really deserves being repeated. Because this is Matt being emotionally abusive and is exactly why Amy has self confidence issues. This is what Matt has spent their marriage doing. Demanding her choice or idea and then deriding her. If the idea comes from Amy, then it's wrong and Matt rubs her face in feces over it. The reality is that Matt has whined for three years that he wants the big house - the second he's offered it, he doesn't want it. 

Because *Amy* suggested it. 

Matt loves any situation where he gets to portray himself as a victim. Hence his ongoing whining that he's trapped on the farm. Guess what? He's not. He owns his little AZ love nest and he brags how he can pull the trigger on selling the farm any time he wants (he's threatened Amy with that twice this season already). He could be free - and instead he's playing victim to the cameras and is just in his glory as the object of the public's pity.

And he says stupid things like he doesn't want it because she ruined it by painting the kitchen cabinets white, he is such a poor excuse for a man.....he is so petty.  Talk about bully!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, woodscommaelle said:

Is calling the Upper Peninsula the ‘UP’ a thing or is Amy trying to make it a thing?

Why do Zach and Tori (in their talking heads) always look like they’re ready to rob a bank?

90 years old is amazing.

I think it is a thing.  And the people who live there are Yoopers.

• Love 9
(edited)

The Upper Peninsula has been “the U.P.” since forever; as far as I can recall, anyway.  Those of use living in the Lower Peninsula are called “trolls” by the Yoopers, because we live below the (Mackinac) Bridge. 

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7

If Matt wanted to up and leave and go somewhere else, he could have. If was truly checked out then he could go and spend time there and only check back on the farm when he had to. He's still firmly wrapped up in all aspects of that.

And then they're talking about needing 3-5 years to see if any of the kids wants to take the farm over eventually. I really think that a lot of this is staged and what parts aren't staged is just Matt wanting change but wanting to force everyone else into it too. Cause I doubt Amy was THAT interested in moving houses or selling land off or building a new house and selling old ones.

• Love 1

Matt and Amy must realize that Jeremy and Zach are in absolutely no way ready to take on the responsibility of owning or running the farm... Yes Jeremy does want to own it, but he just wants to play and Zach is a lazy ass.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I really enjoyed seeing that family get together.  Amy was so thankful that everyone showed up.  That's a hard thing to pull off, because, people have so many things in their lives now days.  There always seems to be work, weddings, vacations, illness, prior commitments that prevents people from attending family events.  This must have been planned for at least a year.  I did notice that Amy always seems to mention how great it was that CHRIS was there.  I really do sense that she has all her eggs in that basket.  I hope it pans out.  Chris is trying to make out that he has trust issues....I'm not sure if I believe that is why he's still single.  Not that there is anything wrong with that. 

Amy's dad was much nicer than he's been shown before.  He seems to be doing great for a 90 year old!  

So, Amy has always been fighting things inside her like fear, insecurity, etc.  I wonder who is was who picked her up.  I don't think that average size women have an issue with it. I'll speak for myself, but, I've been physically picked up a few times and loved it.  I was thrilled that I was light enough.  lol

Edited by SunnyBeBe
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So, Amy has always been fighting things inside her like fear, insecurity, etc.  I wonder who is was who picked her up.  I don't think that average size women have an issue with it. I'll speak for myself, but, I've been physically picked up a few times and loved it.  I was thrilled that I was light enough.  lol

Probably mean kids at school. I think the haze of adulthood makes us forget how what seemed like childish fun was probably pretty mean to the person on the receiving end. I don't think Amy was referring to someone picking her up for a hug that was too exuberant but actually being picked up against her will. And even that exuberant hug can be threatening when you are too small to put a stop to it. 

• Love 3

All I could figure with the coffee is that due to there being a lot of people in the house for the gathering, they had two pots set up. And, to save space, they put one downstairs since counter space was limited.  

• Love 1

You don't have elderly relatives, 😉

It's their house and they probably drink decaf for health reasons and don't want regular coffee accidently turning up in their cups because if you're old and you take medications, you try to be careful about stuff like caffeine interacting and you really can't tell the difference between decaf and regular by taste. 

At the same time, they want to be hospitable to guests but don't want that risk so.... regular coffee is brewed downstairs (likely where they don't go easily as elderly people) and younger people don't have trouble with the stairs and there's no worry of contaminating the decaf but everyone who wants it still has coffee.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, endure said:

And he says stupid things like he doesn't want it because she ruined it by painting the kitchen cabinets white, he is such a poor excuse for a man.....he is so petty.  Talk about bully!

I must say,  Matt is coming across really bad this season. Bullying Amy, demeaning her with his remarks that Amy doesn't know anything about how to run the farm or how to build her own house...like he would have EVER allowed her co- run the farm!  And he has a lot of nerve snarking about how Amy keeps changing her mind and is bring "selfish"...OMG! He's changed his mind! He wanted to be living in the big house for the last couple of years and complained bitterly about being "forced" into the double wide which he hated...now he doesn't want it because Amy made painted some cabinets? He's a tyrant and a bully. And Caryn needs to STFU...how long before she starts nagging him to put a ring on it? Frankly, I think Chris has made a huge difference in Amy's life...he's the total opposite of Matt. The only negative I've seen was his brooding behavior at the beach. Otherwise he gives her confidence, cares for her and likes doing things other than tooling around the farm barking orders at everyone. It really bothers Matt that Amy travels with Chris..."Amy's on another trip..." he says with a tinge of pissiness. 

• Love 10
42 minutes ago, TipseyGirl said:

LOL. That was so random.

I agree...but more so, I thought it was rude of her parents not offer Chris a beverage...hell her mother practically ignored him. Her parents puzzle me...they allowed their dwarf daughter to walk home from school alone when she was in first grade???? I understand that "back in the day" kids walked home from school alone or in a group, I did that as well as everyone I went to school with, but not in first grade. My mother or one of the other kids mother would meet us at the school or at the corner by the school and accompany us/me home. I can't imagine how scared and lonely Amy must have felt walking home alone at age 6. I get that they aren't affectionate people but still! 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, kicksave said:

I must say,  Matt is coming across really bad this season.

And Matt has some awareness of that because now Matt's official story is that production has been egging this on, he's never REALLY had any anger towards Amy, and he and Amy get along really well at all the events they attend together so this is all a production based lie. 

And you know, production is making him follow a storyline that isn't true.

Personally I found the whole "Matt on the farm" scene rather telling. Matt loves the farm *when the family isn't there*. He even said so. I trust this means its now holy writ - Matt is on record preferring the farm when the family is not there.

This is the concern Zach was referring to in a prior episode - that if Matt controlled the farm, then Matt would control the family's access to the farm and would not be as accommodating as Amy is. Do note - Matt's entire point in that whole scene of his wandering about the farm, reveling in his love for it, was that the farm was his and how sad he is that he is forced to consider Amy's plans when he really just wants his way. And yes, his bitching about Amy changing his mind makes me want to show him the actual episodes where he complained that he wanted the big house and wanted to switch with Amy.

3 minutes ago, kicksave said:

Her parents puzzle me...they allowed their dwarf daughter to walk home from school alone when she was in first grade????

Different times, different parenting. I'm about 12 years younger than Amy and I waited for the school bus alone, wearing an orange vest during hunting season so I wouldn't be shot. It amazes me how I was a latchkey kid and how that's now child abuse. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

90 years old is amazing.

Calling the Upper Peninsula the "UP" is how they refer to it in Michigan...

I know it's random but I just wanted to slap Zach last night when he kept snapping his fingers at Murphy and yelling at the dog to go in the house. It's obvious he hates the dog...he never was affectionate or kind to the family dog, Rocky, either. But clearly, he's not a dog person and has zero connection or any kind of bonding going on with this adorable puppy. Tori seems oblivious to Zach's terse approach to Murphy...she doesn't see how resentful Zach is about caving to her on getting a dog. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

And Matt has some awareness of that because now Matt's official story is that production has been egging this on, he's never REALLY had any anger towards Amy, and he and Amy get along really well at all the events they attend together so this is all a production based lie. 

And you know, production is making him follow a storyline that isn't true.

Personally I found the whole "Matt on the farm" scene rather telling. Matt loves the farm *when the family isn't there*. He even said so. I trust this means its now holy writ - Matt is on record preferring the farm when the family is not there.

This is the concern Zach was referring to in a prior episode - that if Matt controlled the farm, then Matt would control the family's access to the farm and would not be as accommodating as Amy is. Do note - Matt's entire point in that whole scene of his wandering about the farm, reveling in his love for it, was that the farm was his and how sad he is that he is forced to consider Amy's plans when he really just wants his way. And yes, his bitching about Amy changing his mind makes me want to show him the actual episodes where he complained that he wanted the big house and wanted to switch with Amy.

Different times, different parenting. I'm about 12 years younger than Amy and I waited for the school bus alone, wearing an orange vest during hunting season so I wouldn't be shot. It amazes me how I was a latchkey kid and how that's now child abuse. 

Yes...times are different but I think that being an older latchkey kid who is responsible and checks in with mom or dad is a lot different than an elementary school age kid who can/could get into all kinds of trouble being alone all afternoon. The internet and stranger danger are very real dangers for young children now a days. Amy was a target for a bully as we learned last night and her parents never knew about it! In today's world, unfortunately, so many children are abducted and murdered by predators that cruise neighborhoods looking for unaccompanied kids. I remember when Etan Patz was abducted the first time his mother allowed him to walk to school in Manhattan and even watched him walk down the block to the school...he was six at the time. There are have been numerous incidents allover the country of missing kids walking to and from school without adult supervision...I still think her parents should have been more cautious and had one of her siblings or a neighbor they trust meet her and walk her home. Perhaps she wouldn't have been so traumatized at a such a young age by a much older kid who bullied her. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I was a latch key kid at six so...

I don't disagree with you but times really were different. Etan Patz would be my age and Amy is a good twelve years older. Kids were expected to handle things like bullying. Amy's parents clearly went with the "we're not treating her differently than the other kids" school of thought, thinking it would make her differences pronounced if they were handholding her while they let the other kids roam free. 

I would say - and I concede this may be an unpopular opinion - that we've gone way off the deep end in refusing to allow children any sort of responsibility in their childhoods. They can't be trusted to walk to school alone, they can't be at the house alone. They can't be trusted to watch a younger sibling. They can't play outdoors unless under the watchful eye of a parent. And then they turn 18 and they're suddenly expected to function and look, a lot of them aren't....

I also dont believe reality backs up the assertion that many children are ab ducted and murdered these days

Edited by Rap541
  • Love 9
On 5/5/2019 at 8:55 PM, Jeanne222 said:

More thinking about all of this and I think the value of the farm lies in Little People Big World!

I'm thinking without the farm the show would end!

just think of all of these reality folks alone on their own with no farm!  I don't think any of their personal stories are interesting without their roots.  Roloff Farm!

Nah, the farm storylines pretty much died around the fourth pumpkin season.  They can shoot all the family drama of Matt and Amy trying to sabotage the other's relationships with their kids at their various other locations. 

• Love 3

I guess Amy has more than one sister, I know she had a sister that passed away a few years ago and she mentioned last night that she was so happy here brother and sister made it to the celebration.  They never showed the other sister.  Something seems off with her parents and it is not just their age. Never heard of a 5 to 6 year old walking home alone.  So Chris has trust issues and with Amy he feels he does not have to worry about her hmmm.  Also, when they were at Mackinac Island Amy said the kids were on their way home, so she took Chris to the island.  I remember seeing  pics of them all there while visiting the grandparents.  

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

Never heard of a 5 to 6 year old walking home alone. 

So Amy is about 58 or so. Which means when she was a six year old, she would have been walking home from school in a nice, white, middle to upper class neighborhood in Detroit in 1966-1968 (not sure her age exactly)

Trust me when I say that kids walked alone to school at this age in the 1960s. The "YOU WILL BE ABDUCTED" stuff didn't start until the early 1980s (Adam Walsh, Etan Patz) and it was pretty normal for kids to walk to school without adult escort.

• Love 13
10 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

I guess Amy has more than one sister, I know she had a sister that passed away a few years ago and she mentioned last night that she was so happy here brother and sister made it to the celebration.  They never showed the other sister.  Something seems off with her parents and it is not just their age. Never heard of a 5 to 6 year old walking home alone.  So Chris has trust issues and with Amy he feels he does not have to worry about her hmmm.  Also, when they were at Mackinac Island Amy said the kids were on their way home, so she took Chris to the island.  I remember seeing  pics of them all there while visiting the grandparents.  

I think people are making a bit too much of the whole "walked home alone" thing.  Clearly, her brother was there and remembers the jackass who bullied her.  She most likely means unaccompanied by an adult, not completely and totally alone without another soul in sight.  Like many suburban kids, before the ex-urban boom, she probably walked to and from school with a big pack of kids who all lived on the same street. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

Trust me when I say that kids walked alone to school at this age in the 1960s. The "YOU WILL BE ABDUCTED" stuff didn't start until the early 1980s (Adam Walsh, Etan Patz) and it was pretty normal for kids to walk to school without adult escort.

Yeah, the big furor over stranger abduction didn't start until they started putting kids' pictures on milk cartons so it was the Johnny Gosch & Etan Patz cases, which were then doubled-down on with the Adam Walsh case/Sunday Night Movie.  We've all been hyper-aware of stranger danger since then, for better or for worse.   

• Love 2
(edited)

So Amy and I are about the same age and I grew up in Michigan, but the only difference is that I grew up in Detroit proper (East side urban), and Amy grew up in Livonia (West side suburban).  I say “East side/West side” because if you knew the Detroit metro area, you would know that Woodward Ave was the dividing line and that people didn’t cross over much.  You were an east sider or a West sider.  I can tell you that even in my urban setting, I walked to school by myself, actually with the flow of kids. And it wasn’t a big deal to anyone.  I’m not a dwarf, and didn’t stand out in any way, so I can’t speak to the bullying.  That’s a separate issue.

Living in CA as I do now, basements are a foreign concept to most people here.  We just don’t have them because of earth quakes, etc.  But in Michigan, basements are probably used more than the main level of your house.  It’s where the kids and adults play at various times and where you entertain.  Most basements have your second kitchen so you don’t have to run up and down a lot and most of the people I knew had a big table down there so large groups could eat together.  They weren’t dungeon-like, they were the gathering place.  I took absolutely no offense to her parents saying the real coffee was downstairs.  To any Michigander, you would have just said oh, okay, and walked downstairs to get yourself a cup and a snack, which would usually be set next to the big 40 cup coffee maker that would be set out for gatherings.

I don’t have much to say anymore about that asshat Matt, and I agree that Caryn needs to STFU and stop trying to sound so caring and patient (almost condescending really) when talking about Amy.  Bitch, just remember how you got there - we all do - so don’t be saying that you can’t be living in sin with Matt because he hasn’t married you yet.  I know she was joking, but I wanted to choke when I saw her Cheshire Cat, demure grin when she said that.

Lastly, I know and respect the fact that a lot has been covered about Matt’s hospitalizations as a child and that was tough.  As a human being, I hate that he or any disabled child/person has to endure that.  I get that all those days spent in casts and laying in a hospital bed are somewhat responsible for Matt’s Peter Pan syndrome.  We have never heard much about Amy’s childhood though and the things that were revealed on this last episode really got to me.  When she basically said that she didn’t talk about her rough childhood because she needed to be a mother that her children looked up to for protection, my heart about popped.  And for a small child to have so much bottled up anxiety and fear that they get an ulcer was too much for me to even think about.  When you talk about resiliency and putting the needs of your children before your own invisible scars, I have developed a whole new respect for Amy.  It explains why she has sometimes been accused of not being as open as Matt, or as jovial.  They both just really have different personalities and things that they value and I suppose in the end it was better for them to be apart.

Edited by HighlandWarriorGrl
Spelling
  • Love 18

Bullying always gets to me.  Nobody should ever be bullied but it happens.  My daughter was the target of bullies so I felt Amy s pain as she told about it!

She still has scars from that bullying but I think she made a point of how she succeeded and came out and up from it!

At 90 I'm guessing the party was planned and the old folks were informed it's at your place!  I think they handled it quite well.

I did notice no interaction with her sister in law and I never did see Amy's sister or sisters.  Molly's husbands face was shadowed out and Jacob was being Jacob!

It was a really nice place.  Great memories I'm sure.

• Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, Honey said:

Nothing ever makes me tear up, really ever, but Amy said something tonight that actually did.  She said she probably will never get this moment back again, her parents, her kids and Grandkids, her siblings and their families, and Chris all together.  We don't often think like that when we're in the moment, take it all in, and appreciate it while it's happening.  We really should.

It's true.  The last time we had everyone together with my late beloved Grammy (sans the family in Oklahoma, but it was her 2 sons that live here, their wives, all of their kids/spouses, and their kids/stepkids), we were all annoyed because the restaurant seated us 2 hours late, and it was throwing the schedule for the family who was up from Maryland off, etc.  That never happened again, and I wish I would have slowed down and enjoyed it more.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

We have never heard much about Amy’s childhood though and the things that were revealed on this last episode really got to me.  When she basically said that she didn’t talk about her rough childhood because she needed to be a mother that her children looked up to for protection, my heart about popped.  And for a small child to have so much bottled up anxiety and fear that they get an ulcer was too much for me to even think about.  When you talk about resiliency and putting the needs of your children before your own invisible scars, I have developed a whole new respect for Amy.  It explains why she has sometimes been accused of not being as open as Matt, or as jovial.  They both just really have different personalities and things that they value and I suppose in the end it was better for them to be apart.

My heart broke for her the time when she talked about graduating college and landing an interview at a resort, and how excited she was (she was a hospitality/hotel management major) and when she got there, they told her there was no job.  Discrimination at it's finest, and truly sad.

• Love 4

Amy drives me nuts with her indecision!  Is she doing this deliberately to get Chris to take her off the property to his house or does he even have one?  He gives me the creeps for some reason..   I am also sick of Matt droning on about Amy’s indecision, I for one get it Matt, STFU!  

I just love me some Jackson!  He is the cutest kid, love his smile.  I only watch for sightings of him.  

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Amy drives me nuts with her indecision!  Is she doing this deliberately to get Chris to take her off the property to his house or does he even have one?  He gives me the creeps for some reason..   I am also sick of Matt droning on about Amy’s indecision, I for one get it Matt, STFU!  

Decades of living with Matt have made her very wary of his enthusiasm, which I totally understand as he's constantly trying to sell everyone a bill of goods of some sort.  

• Love 10