Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: Kāu pahi, koʻu kua. Kāu pū, koʻu poʻo. (Your Knife, My Back. My Gun, Your Head.)

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Could a Mod please fix a typo in the thread title which (of course) I didn't find until after I submitted the thread? I put an extra ʻ at the front of the K in the phrase "koʻu poʻo" at the end of the ep's Hawaiian title. Thanks.

Fixed.

There was an absurd amount of murder in this episode. Revenge guy kills seven people. His girlfriend gets offed. 5-0 guns down a half dozen mooks at a warehouse and a half dozen more at a house. Revenge guy kills about ten more people when storming the penthouse. Seriously, about thirty people got shot to death in this episode. Too soon? If you're The Punisher, certainly. But mass murder (in a hotel no less) is okay so long as it takes place in Hawaii. Weird.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Passepartout said:

Yeah it was really way too violent. CBS should had sent a warning sign to viewers over in violence.

Well, the episode blurb at the top of the thread does say revenge killings are part of the episode, & it's the same description all the other TV listing publications (local & national, & internet) get. I guess they thought that was all the viewer discretion/parental warning that was needed. 

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a missing parenthesis.
  • Love 1

I’m not sure most tv networks would recognize excessive violence in their own shows.   Decry it in others, yes.  If they point it out in their own show, by issuing a warning, they might be forced to explain why they thought it was necessary.  

I wonder what the average “kill rate” per episode was on the original Hawaii Five-0?

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 1

I didn't find it that excessive for this show. I'm also not a believer in television/movies having to alter/censor content due to real life events. If a show is so close to real life, then maybe we should be asking why and actually talk about the issue. I find "too soon" to be just an excuse. 

I thought the shot of the driver getting his head blown off was cool though. 

I'm also not even remotely interested in the bickering over the restaurant. 

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

also not even remotely interested in the bickering over the restaurant. 

Ditto. However, did you notice on the "McDanno's" T-shirt, it had them sitting at the table with a string of spaghetti between their mouths (like in "Lady & the Tramp)?

• Love 3

I have no problem with hoyay on any show, and I find it mildly amusing on this one, but that shirt was the gayest shirt I've ever seen. 

I also liked the "he's british" excuses for Harry's behavior.

• Love 2

So, I might have problems with the idea that a mild-mannered piano teacher can turn himself into John Wick within three years - but that gun-fight staged to a classic piano piece was worth the hand-waving. I also loved the Connery/Craig shout-out with Vance emerging from the ocean. He sure makes everything better. Kamekona out-chefing (it's a word!) McDanno was also great.

• Love 3

I don’t really understand how Danny can afford to retire so young (mid-‘40’s).  Especially with 2 kids to put through both private school and college.  (Does Rachel work?  Surely Stan isn’t paying support to the woman who got pregnant by her ex-husband and passed resulting child off as Stan’s.). Danny hasn’t been a “real cop” for eightish years, so would only only have about 12 years with the NYPD & HPD combined.   That wouldn’t get him much pension, would it?  And somehow I don’t see Five-0 planning on having to pay retirement - probably figuring on guys getting killed well before retirement age. 

The fact that they are already having trouble paying the rent should be a flashing warning sign telling them to rethink the whole idea.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ganesh said:

AwI didn't find it that excessive for this show. I'm also not a believer in television/movies having to alter/censor content due to real life events. If a show is so close to real life, then maybe we should be asking why and actually talk about the issue. I find "too soon" to be just an excuse. 

I thought the shot of the driver getting his head blown off was cool though. 

I'm also not even remotely interested in the bickering over the restaurant. 

Someone pointed out that if the eps hadn't been switched this week & last, the fire episode would've likely still been switched because of the California wildfires & because it was originally this week's episode. Not sure if it would've involved the original 2 eps (02 & 03), or some other combo would've been used.

Depending on how long Danny was on the force in NY, he could have a full pension. They never said. If he joined up at 18 he could have 25 years already. But I don't know why they would have trouble paying rent. Some they have investors? This restaurant plot is so dumb. 

18 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I don’t really understand how Danny can afford to retire so young (mid-‘40’s).  Especially with 2 kids to put through both private school and college.  (Does Rachel work?  Surely Stan isn’t paying support to the woman who got pregnant by her ex-husband and passed resulting child off as Stan’s.). Danny hasn’t been a “real cop” for eightish years, so would only only have about 12 years with the NYPD & HPD combined.   That wouldn’t get him much pension, would it?  And somehow I don’t see Five-0 planning on having to pay retirement - probably figuring on guys getting killed well before retirement age. 

The fact that they are already having trouble paying the rent should be a flashing warning sign telling them to rethink the whole idea.

No, they played it that Detective Williams, Chin Ho  who was reinstated to HPD as  after a couple of years on the task force as Lieutenant Kelly and Officer Kono Kalakaua (or did she use Noshimuri?) were also HPD even though they were on the state task force. . Kono was used most notably used during the Internal Affairs undercover op.  Captain Grover was forced to retire from HPD as a SWAT Captain and Steve using the Governor's license gave HPD the FU and hired him on to 5-0 so he is double dipping like Detective Munch was retired from Baltimore on Homicide:Life On The Street and ultimately rising to a NYPD Sergeant on Law & Order Special Victims Unit.. 

So depending upon how long Danny was a New Jersey police office add in the 7 plus years of HPD/5-0. But still with two kids ready to go to school and spring  into adulthood. So unless he is one of those TV cops with money connections like Kono married into you would think his retirement plan would be to go back to regular police work. But then HPD must have the highest officer casualty rate in the world. Who knows retiring from HPD and working for 5-0 might be what he had in mind. Many LAPD officers have some sort of similar deal from some past contract negotiations where they are retired but still working as cops.

Edited by Raja
On 10/14/2017 at 4:39 PM, ganesh said:

I have no problem with hoyay on any show, and I find it mildly amusing on this one, but that shirt was the gayest shirt I've ever seen. 

I also liked the "he's british" excuses for Harry's behavior.

You said it as thought it looked gay too. As really could had come up with a better shirt.

(edited)
21 hours ago, Raja said:

No, they played it that Detective Williams, Chin Ho  who was reinstated to HPD as  after a couple of years on the task force as Lieutenant Kelly and Officer Kono Kalakaua (or did she use Noshimuri?) were also HPD even though they were on the state task force. . Kono was used most notably used during the Internal Affairs undercover op.  Captain Grover was forced to retire from HPD as a SWAT Captain and Steve using the Governor's license gave HPD the FU and hired him on to 5-0 so he is double dipping like Detective Munch was retired from Baltimore on Homicide:Life On The Street and ultimately rising to a NYPD Sergeant on Law & Order Special Victims Unit.. 

So depending upon how long Danny was a New Jersey police office add in the 7 plus years of HPD/5-0. But still with two kids ready to go to school and spring  into adulthood. So unless he is one of those TV cops with money connections like Kono married into you would think his retirement plan would be to go back to regular police work. But then HPD must have the highest officer casualty rate in the world. Who knows retiring from HPD and working for 5-0 might be what he had in mind. Many LAPD officers have some sort of similar deal from some past contract negotiations where they are retired but still working as cops.

Also, Danny had been in Hawaii for about a year when the series started. In Ep 118, Loa Aloha (The Long Goodbye), the 1 where his brother Matt visits & Danny learns Matt stole money from the clients to whom he was giving professional financial advice, Danny & Matt talk about how it's already been a year since Danny moved from New Jersey to Honolulu.

As far as I know, Kono never used Noshimuri professionally. Considering the Noshimuris had ties to the Japanese Yakuza crime syndicate & she was a member of both HPD & Five-0, it was probably a good idea she kept her marriage to Adam basically on the down low, although the rest of the team knew about the relationship & so did Duke Lukela, the HPD Sergeant who most often works with the team, they all attended Adam & Kono's wedding, & nobody seems to think she shouldn't have married Adam. That's probably because he showed he was a good person & never (that I remember) seemed to have an interest in the Yakuza, only turning the Noshimuri family businesses legitimate on the death of his father, Hiro (Adam's brother Michael, the real criminal of the brothers, was serving time in a California prison when Hiro died & Adam & Kono got together).

Oh yeah... As far as I know, Chin, Kono, & Danny were all considered dual Five-0/HPD members from the get-go, despite Chin's previous resignation (he was referred to as "Inspector Kelly" [not an HPD rank] for most/all of S1, if not some of S2) & the fact Kono hadn't completely finished the police academy when she was convinced to join the task force, & Steve had never had formal cop training. Danny was the only 1 who was a "legal" cop at the time: he had however many years in Newark PD, plus 1 year & however much of the current year had passed, on HPD when we met the team.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add some info.

After the ep aired, a lot of the fans got on social media & asked if the show/CBS could make the McDanno's Bar and Grill t-shirt Kamekona created for the new restaurant in the ep available to the fans/public. Lenkov's response was that they were working on it.

It's now available through the CBS Store, as of sometime yesterday (Monday), if anyone's interested in it; the pertinent info's at the linked page.

On 10/19/2017 at 4:56 AM, BW Manilowe said:

There's now a red with black "outline" version of the new/original McDanno's Bar and Grill t-shirt first seen in this episode as supposedly created by Kamekona for Steve & Danny's new restaurant. Here are the details.

Ugh -- I really don't like the red blood garnet t-shirt!

• Love 1
On 10/15/2017 at 0:47 AM, Mittengirl said:

Danny was never with the NYPD. Before he was with HPD & Five-0, he was with the Newark PD in NJ. That's what IMDb said in the ep description for I Ka Wa Mamua (In a Time Past).

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Danny was never with the NYPD. Before he was with HPD & Five-0, he was with the Newark PD in NJ. That's what IMDb said in the ep description for I Ka Wa Mamua (In a Time Past).

I remember a screen shot from Kono's unofficial graduation ceremony and Detective Williams was wearing the Newark PD uniform as seen by the shoulder patch, with Sergeant stripes