Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E01: Premiere

• Start Topic

Jordan is my early fav to win it all because I just think he has the it factor to win but my only concern is that he doesnt come off as cocky because  he seems to know he is good like Alfonso did but the thing with Alfonso he used humor with his cockiness and was hugely popular to the gp because everyone knew him as Carlton from Fresh Prince.

Lindsay is good but its something about her that just seems like a disconnect. I don't know, I think she is going to be so good where she may comeoff as boring or one note but I do see her in the finals and if she is not I would be shock as hell.

The married couple stint needs to end and it needs to end asap because i think he going do more harm than good. Vanessa is better dancer than her husband and more exciting but my only pet peeve with her is that she is all about just being a wife and mommy when she should enlighten people about her being career woman before she became Nick Lachey wife and baby momma. I mean don't just reduce urself to wife and mommy when its more to you.

The athletes r a no for me and they r just kinda just there.

Barbara needs to dial it all the way in. Her coming on to  keo like that was gross  and she needs to calm down.

I like Victoria but im kinda over the inspirational story contestants. Her story is very inspirational and powerful but over these stories.

• Love 2

Performances from tonight:

Spoiler

Opening number

Terrell & Cheryl - cha cha

Debbie & Alan - foxtrot

Sasha & Gleb - cha cha

Drew & Emma - foxtrot

Barbara & Keo - salsa

Jordan & Lindsay - tango

Frankie & Witney - foxtrot

Nick & Peta - cha cha

Vanessa & Maks - cha cha

Nikki & Artem - tango

Derek & Sharna - salsa

Victoria & Val - cha cha

Lindsey & Mark - cha cha

• Love 2

I'm pleasantly surprised that none of the celebs made me want to throw a chair through the screen during their intro packages. Usually in the first week, there is at least one (if not more) celeb who is sooooooo obnoxious that I know I will spend all season hoping for their elimination. This time around, no one fit that bill. Keep it up, everyone!

TO was about the level of many of the athletes we've seen before. He's not great but he's not awful. I agree that his scores were lower than he deserved (he only scored one point higher than Barbara who was much worse), but I think that his personality and popularity will keep him on the show for a while (despite his heavy/sloppy feet).

Awwww, I have soft spot for Debbie Gibson because I remember how much Sassy magazine hated her. They used to talk shit about her every month (until they did an interview with her and admitted she was actually a pretty nice person). I don't need to hear about her Lyme disease every week, but I give her credit for deciding to do the show knowing that she's already in pain. Heh, I kind of hope she sticks around and that she uses one of her own songs every week.

I watched PLL until the bitter end, so I was hoping that Sasha would do as well as Janel on DWTS. I had no idea that her parents were professional dancers! That made me really hope that she would be great but she was just okay. She has been so graceful dealing with the assholes on social media who criticized her weight gain (which was due to a hormone imbalance - you know, and the fact that she isn't 13 years old anymore) so I'm rooting for her to do well. I think if she can show some improvement, she might stick around through the middle of the season.

Watching Drew's intro, I thought his dancing would be pretty terrible but he wasn't bad. He has potential to emerge from the middle of the pack.

Barbara danced exactly how I thought she would. I liked her gold spangly dress, but that was it. Her endless remarks about Keo were too much though. Calm the fuck down, lady! I felt bad for him having to deal with her nonstop sexual harassment.

Jordan has both the dance and performance skills to win this season, but only if he avoids the dreaded ringer title. I didn't think he came off as cocky. He seemed confident and enthusiastic to me, which is fine. I'm guessing that between his younger fans from Disney/Secret Life/Teen Wolf and how hardcore the Hamiltrash can be, he will make it to the finale.

I still give Nick Lachey major side eye for marrying Jessica Simpson, but for the most part he seems like a regular guy (aka not obnoxious because of his brief fame). He's not a great dancer but his performance skills may save him.

Heh, I actually enjoyed Vanessa being so obnoxious with Maks because hopefully it means that they will have a more equal partnership. Maks sometimes gets overbearing with his partners so this seemed like a good sign that she isn't going to let him do that with her. She's an okay dancer but I don't know if she has enough of a fanbase to last very long.

Frankie was the biggest surprise for me. He seemed so nervous even before he met Witney and he wasn't killing it during rehearsal, but he did really well in his performance.

Nikki is already annoying but I love Artem, and he seemed pretty enthused about having her as a partner. He looked so happy during their performance so maybe this partnership will work well. She needs to quit body slamming him though. On a related note, I'm still mad that Stacy Keibler didn't win S2. She was way better than stompy Drew Lachey!

Derek seems pretty light on his feet so I'm looking forward to seeing more from him. Of the male athletes this season, I think Derek is a better dancer than Terrell, bu as Sharna pointed out, basketball players don't tend to do well on the show.

I can't tell if Victoria is a good dancer or not because most of her cha cha was just standing around. Once she and Val started dancing about halfway through their routine, they were backlit so it was difficult to see her actual dancing.

Despite Lindsey's high scores, I thought she was a bit awkward. I guess at least she'll get some interesting routines from Mark.

• Love 7

I hope we are not subjected to sob stories every week about Victoria just to pump up Val.  It is a shame that she was not assigned to another Pro.  I am tired of the Val manipulations.

And Sharna looks as ridiculous as ever with that hideous hair.  Again, it is a shame Derek did not get another partner because Sharna is annoying and seems to like to go for the sleaze factor.

• Love 2

Barbara was awful...both in her dancing and her way way over the top harrassment of Keo.  I felt bad for him.  If it had been a male celebrity doing that to a female pro I think we would have seen a mysterious early injury resulting in a new celeb being cast.

Terrell didn't deserve that low of a score but he also fit the bill of the first dancer on the floor.  No strong enough to challenge the top dancers but does well enough and has enough of a name to survive being low balled on his score.  That then allows them to score the top dancers higher but within the norms of week 1 scoring.  

• Love 1

I felt so bad for Keo. I'm usually pretty indifferent to him but Barbara needs to calm the hell down. He looked so uncomfortable at one point.

I always found Witney to be annoying and immature but how stupid was she to say to Frankie that hes her dads age? She must have the same mentality that children have where anyone even a little older than them are "old".  And even if Witney was joking, I thought her "don't call me Carlton" comment was a little rude. Girl, please sit down. Alfonso being primarily known as Carlton (and embracing it), and his fan base is a huge part of why she won a mirror ball. Her track record the last few seasons shows she sure doesn't have the fan base to carry her far.

1 hour ago, smiley13 said:

And Sharna looks as ridiculous as ever with that hideous hair.  Again, it is a shame Derek did not get another partner because Sharna is annoying and seems to like to go for the sleaze factor.

Oh God yes! She's beautiful but that hair! It looks..brighter? its bordering on cartoonish now. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, wings707 said:

Who is the liar?  Totally agree on Barbara.

The actress from Pretty Little Liars. I thought she was about to come out and kill it based on her intro package. Then she came out and did an impression of a robot. I thought she was the second worse of the night behind Barbara

This is only my second season watching this and I am wondering how they decide which pro gets which celebrity? I feel bad for the pros who get the really bad celebs, like Keo. That was embarrassing to watch. Her hand was soooo close to his "package".

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the opening number last night. And as usual it was full of spoilers - giving the celebrities with actual potential choreography and all the rest mugging assignments.

Count me in on those who thought Vanessa was adorable and potential to actually win until the Lindsay came around. They have the same qualities (quirky, cute, non annoying personalities and ability) but I will give Mark the advantage over Maks in terms of choreography and likability which gives Lindsay the edge.

Frankie Muniz will be to the reason someone like Nick Lachey gets a surprise boot this season.  

• Love 2

Maybe I was prepared to be underwhelmed after last season but this is all driving me crazy.  Also possibly because the only one I recognize is Drew.  BUT.....Lindsey/Lindsay confuses me.  I hear Sasha and I think of the pro, same for Derek.  The two V names throw me but it's recoverable.  Everyone seems generically attractive but not that memorable etc.  

My main concern is Victoria (think I have the right V).  I can't imagine someone who can't feel their legs putting on high heels and possibly jeopardizing their whole miraculous recovery to dance.  I can't even wrap my head around being able to walk when you can't feel your legs.  I mean it's wonderful but take care of that body and keep it wonderful.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

TO is TALL.  He needs to make sure he doesn't hunch over.  I liked Derek Fisher as well.  He moved better than I thought he would.

I think the WWE chick would have gone further with Derek type choreo...she's very strong but her moves looked sloppy.  Derek is the king of repetition.   That being said...Hough free zone...kind of nice.

Not looking forward to Carrie Ann and her "joy to life" crap comments every week for Victoria. 

Barbara's song was cringeworthy as well.  Speaking of that...fire the band.  Their warbling of "Our House" was horrible.

I can't stand the butchering of songs the band does. It annoys me when they can play the actual song then the next song is a butchered cover by the band. I wish they could get all the original songs 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Boofish said:

The actress from Pretty Little Liars. I thought she was about to come out and kill it based on her intro package. Then she came out and did an impression of a robot. I thought she was the second worse of the night behind Barbara

In all honesty, I think Sasha has the ability to be good but Gleb may not be the perfect partner for her because all he knows is sex and sasha is not the one he is going to be able pull his sex acts on. I think with the right teacher she will be awesome but her lack confidence and having one note Gleb as a partner may not do her any favors/

• Love 4

Pretty underwhelming start for me but there are a few celebs that didn't totally annoy me, so hey, there is still hope for this season.

I liked:   Debbie and Alan (lovely dance) Mark and Lindsey? (she looks like she will be able to keep up with his creativity)  Lindsey and Jordan (if he doesn't get all big headed) and I actually like Vanessa and Nick (although Vanessa needs to take it down about 10 notches - I wonder if that was just nerves? but she does bring out the playful side of Maks which I like).  I liked Frankie too but Whitney (aside from her season with Alfonso, who is one of my favorite all time winners) annoys the crap out of me.

The rest?  Meh so far.   I get that Val's partner's story is amazing but if we are going to hear about it week after week she can leave now because I am not interested as far as the context of this show.  And I don't watch PLL but I was not impressed by Sasha(?) at all.    I hardly noticed Cheryl being back and I want to like Property Brother guy but he needs to relax.  And Sharna - between the hair and the costume?  Just no.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, smiley13 said:

Mark is back and is as awesome and adorable as ever!  His partner is very good.

I love Mark. Love, love love...

10 minutes ago, vdw84 said:

In all honesty, I think Sasha has the ability to be good but Gleb may not be the perfect partner for her because all he knows is sex and sasha is not the one he is going to be able pull his sex acts on. I think with the right teacher she will be awesome but her lack confidence and having one note Gleb as a partner may not do her any favors/

I'd of liked to have seen Sasha with Derek! God I miss him.

• Love 2

I was impressed by Drew's recovery after that very very long messed up section of their dance.  If Len hadn't mentioned it, it looked to me like Drew wouldn't either.  He knows his TV stuff.

Women have been wearing cartoonish blonde hair for a long time at this point - 5 million of them have been dancers on DWTS (Kim, Peta and Witney. come to mind immediately)  I always like Sharna's hair, but then I am a fake redhead too (and can no longer do the cartoony colour because I'm old enough that the more realistic colours are starting to read cartoonish against my skin).  I can't understand why Sharna should catch more grief for this than the blondes do...

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I'm a big Erin fan, but tonight, she was a moron to refuse to let go her faux pas over Latin heel-toe leads.  She absolutely knows the rule of holes.  

It's been 7 years since Erin did the show so I doubt she remembers much about the rules of ballroom dancing, but I'm with you that it was annoying that she wouldn't let it go. However, I've noticed that she always seems extremely awkward during the first show each season so I chalk it up to her nerves and not really knowing the contestants yet to feel comfortable with them.

• Love 2

We thoroughly enjoyed last night's opening show.  (We being the DH and I and not the royal "we.")  Our early favorites are Jordan, Vanessa, Victoria and Lindsay, but we enjoyed almost everyone.  We used to watch Shark Tank and always liked Barbara Corcoran on that show, but as others have noted, her "cougarness" was way over the top last night.  Her dancing was stiff, as you usually expect with the older contestants, but she seemed to be having fun.  We see her as maybe the first out, though.  The only other one we really felt was just a "no" from us was Sasha.  We have never watched Pretty Little Liars so we had no idea who she was.  And neither she nor her dancing sparked anything with us.  We didn't hate her, but we didn't particularly care one way or the other either.  The rest all showed some spark of personality anyway.  Nick Lachey was not as good as we expected.  As others have noted, Frankie Munoz was better than we expected.  I love Artem, dislike the blond hair (hubby doesn't care), think Nikki is okay, but if she keeps throwing Artem around, we'll want her gone.  It was cute when they did it in the ring, much less cute when they did it at the end of the dance, and it needs to be over now.  Didn't mind Vanessa's mommy stuff for the first night but it can go away now.  We know.   Same with Debbie Gibson.  I don't mind it the first night, as we're getting to know the contestants.  It's only if it becomes the story that it bugs. 

Anyway, seems like we're off to a good start.  Like that we're back to just three judges.  Really liked only one judge giving a critique, but I know that won't continue for long.  Didn't really mind the judges who didn't get to critique saying a couple of words when they gave their score.  We're happy campers so far!  Looking forward to a great season with lots of potential contenders.

• Love 4

Thoughts on contestants for week 1 (in alphabetical order):

Jordan & Lindsay - thought they had nice chemistry, and that the interplay on stage, the controlled promenade hold/head snap once off stage, was an immediate attention grabber. Nice to see how he felt the music with his lyrical free arm coming down the stairs, and that he did a good job of slightly recovering from his hip hop tendency on stage. Maybe a bit more compact hold for Jordan towards the middle/end, and to be a hair careful with his uptight shoulders in the turns. But thought it was nice to see how he carried the weight of the song and character, making the routine an overall enjoyable and believable one.

Lindsey & Mark - thought it was a fun cha cha routine, and that they got off to a nice start with an initial burst of energy that propelled them throughout. Nice to see snap in her feet and legs and enjoyed the side by side section (maybe a hair long). Think she can have an even freer, relaxed body to enjoy the cha cha rhythms even more, and to maybe work a bit on a better body position (head and chin sticks forward a bit, perhaps from violin posture). Nice to see the flexibility in her legs and hope to see the couple continue to cater to the tastes of all three judges moving forward.

Vanessa & Maks - thought her week 1 cha cha was a confident debut, and that her personality shined through from the raised eyebrow to the finale fist pump. Her leg check, flirty lock steps and timely arms hitting the beat on cue near the judges table – thought she used the floor and moved around well with Maks. Think by nature she is someone who is a performer, someone who enjoys/thrives being in front of the camera, as those qualities were evident in the performance. Interesting to see she had a strict upbringing; think she has the ability to carry out sensuous routines (Argentine tango, rumba, etc) in the weeks ahead.

----------------------------------/

---------- & ----------

---------- & ----------

----------------------------------/

Best of luck to all the celebs and looking forward to their dances.

• Love 2

For once we might have a Final 3 without one of the pro athletes in it, although Derek definitely has some moves. Still, I have to think ringers like Jordan, Lindsey and Vanessa are pretty much a lock, although you can never tell when you try to figure in the fanbases. I honestly don't know what the audience will make of Jordan and whether he can win them over. I'm not crazy about the hair, either. (Or Artem's, or Marks. Now, get offa my lawn.)

Victoria will get far with her sob story but I don't think she's going to dance well enough to make the final cut.

Did Sasha (the former pro) get bumped back down to troupe?  I thought maybe he just wasn't in this season but then I saw him as one of the back-up dancers in Nick Lachey's number. Speaking of Nick, he's not aging well. Men who have "baby faces" tend not to. When they showed that old clip of him and Drew from 2007 I sort of cringed at how much he's changed. 

Anyway, I'm not all that thrilled with Alan as a Pro. He's always been such a show-boater and managed to wander around in the background shirtless whenever there was a camera on. Then again, Sasha didn't really do much for me either.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Lindsey was also very good. I have to remember that Lindsay the Pro is with an A and Lindsey the Celeb is with an E.

I think we should make this a memorandum and pin it at the top of each week's thread this season, LOL. 'Cause when someone says "I love Jordan and Lindsay!" I'm not sure if the person loves Jordan and his partner, or the two celebs!

• Love 1

I really enjoyed that there's no clear front Runner, that we're not all agreeing on the winner based just on tonight. Hopefully it will be a enjoyable season of dancing growth and interesting stories. 

I really like Jordan/Lindsay partnership, but I always dislike Lindsay's costumes. She has flashy, very revealing costumes, and while Jordan was in a sparkling jacket, I still focused a lot on her. Same with Emma/Drew. Emma was as gorgeous as ever, but he looked like he was brokering a business deal. I understand in ballroom the women are usually done up more, I guess. Mark/Lindsey were well done, with him in black and her in glittery gold. I watched her completely in that routine and barely noticed Mark. She has very long arms. 

Fav's: Lindsey/Jordan, Witney/Frankie, and Mark/Lindsey. Those are the routines I watched again. I was impressed with Victoria, but I was also impressed with Noah Galloway but didn't enjoy watching him dance. 

I think it would have been adorable to give Sasha the pro Sasha instead of Gleb. Maybe too confusing? The show would have had fun with that, and we'd get creative routines from Sasha. I'm not a Gleb fan. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

Women have been wearing cartoonish blonde hair for a long time at this point - 5 million of them have been dancers on DWTS (Kim, Peta and Witney. come to mind immediately)  I always like Sharna's hair, but then I am a fake redhead too (and can no longer do the cartoony colour because I'm old enough that the more realistic colours are starting to read cartoonish against my skin).  I can't understand why Sharna should catch more grief for this than the blondes do...

This. As another unnatural redhead who still rocks a hair colour similar to Sharna's, I wish I could like this a million times more. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Fliz said:

I hope Debbie Gibson stays around long enough to dance to "Electric Youth."

Yes! Or "Shake Your Love." I did like her and Alan, and I thought she and Terrell Owens were both underscored. (How on earth did Drew get a better score than TO?) 

Jordan and Lindsey are definitely the two favorites for the mirrorball as of one episode. I think Vanessa, Derek, Frankie, and Victoria also have finals potential. (Frankie especially was a pleasant surprise - I had no idea if he would be good or not.) Nick was okay - I did like how he was thrilled to get a high five from Derek Fisher, even if it wasn't for a buzzer-beater. : ) Sasha was okay but forgettable. Drew was meh but I think his fan base will carry him far. I wanted to like Barbara, but her drooling over Keo was creepy. Guessing she will be first out.

Is this show going to be reviewed anymore? I came online today, looking to see Previously.tv's thoughts on the Emmys and on Dancing with the Stars premiere, but there's nothing to be found. Bummer! I've always enjoyed Kim's recaps.

• Love 4

Anyway, I'm not all that thrilled with Alan as a Pro. He's always been such a show-boater and managed to wander around in the background shirtless whenever there was a camera on. 

Yes, what did Tom call him that I wondered if Tom was being sarcastic?  "Humble" or something like that.

Actually, I thought his dance was beautifully choreographed and had a little spark to it, which I did NOT expect because mostly I think he's as annoying as Jenna.

Why is Sasha in the troupe - I've read why, but I don't remember and it seems odd to choose that route.

Ok, the opening number had me grinning like a fool.  The song they used was also used in "Sweatin' to the Oldies" a tape I used to watch with with my mom (who passed in July).  So, I was smiling and crying.  

I love the big opening number...remember The Boys Are Back in Town and Let Me Entertain You?  

Man TO is tall.  Yay Cheryl!  Ugh, Mark.  And YAY TOM BERGERON!    I heart him so much.

Edited by gryphon
  • Love 4

Witney's comments didn't bother me because I thought it was obvious she was kidding.  Even with the don't call me Carlton bit...which yes, while Alfonso still capitalizes off of Carlton, I'm pretty sure it is a pet peeve of his when people call him Carlton by name. That is a common thing with any actor who is so closely associated with one role and has been for decades. It can be see it as a blessing and curse, and one part of it is often people don't give a shit about them as people and will just see them as a character and will address them as such.  I know it probably sounds silly to some but it is a very common thing and I'm sure at some point Alfonso must have expressed this to Witney, which is probably why she brought it up.

Of the two ringer-y folks, I like Jordan much better and I don't know why.  As a few others have said, I think his biggest issue is going to be not appearing cocky.  Which I don't get the impression Jordan is cocky.  He seems very well liked by his fellow peers and such. But he is extremely confident and I don't think he's likely going to play the "aw shucks" card and downplay his abilities for votes.  So it's whether people read his confidence as cockiness.

Also not to sound like the hugest heartless bastard in the world (I likely am), I think people are overblowing Victoria's dance ability.  I think she personally is amazing and her week one scores were fair enough, but what is fabulous about Victoria is her natural joy and smile. I think after her package and people seeing what she has been through, some were just shocked to see her even be able to move at all.  But her dance itself didn't contain much. The first part was just she and Val planted in one spot moving their upper bodies and then they did some forward movement with Val having a firm grip on her to control her movements.  It reminded me a lot of Amy Purdy. Also I think the fringe pants were to hide what she wasn't doing.  Again, amazing considering her story and I do think she could be in the finals based on story, Val's fanbase, and her own winning personality but I'm not going to pretend her dance was all that either.  It was fabulous from a joy perspective, but I'm still in wait and see mode to see what she can do week to week.  I was fine with her week one score, but I will be annoyed if they continue to judge her based on her story and not what she is actually doing.  

I did wonder if Victoria could potentially do harm to herself by overworking her muscles throughout this competition, but I will assume she knows far more about her situation than I do.

In general I need to see two dances from everyone, largely a standard and ballroom, before I fully back anyone. It's not uncommon for someone to do well week one and then fall apart week two.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2

For I  me I dont particularly think of Jordan as cocky but just very confident which a great quality to have but u know how viewers do on this show but I think they attack women more for that than the men because poor normani was called a stuckup and cocky last season from some viewers and that girl was one of the nicest contestants to ever enter the stage on dwts but because she was confident and exude sex appeal, she  was labeled cocky but never once came across that way atleast not to me. So with that said jordan may get a pass because he is a dude but I bet anything someone like Nikki want. She seems confident in and sexy, some viewers esp women viewers may label her cocky and stuckup.

• Love 1

Debbie Gibson is just as insufferable as she was on Celebrity Apprentice, when she constantly volunteered herself to perform "Shake Your Love" no matter what the fuckin' task was. "I had a bunch of hits in the 80s and 90s" (meanwhile "Shake Your Love" is the only song playing on repeat during her entire intro vid). 

Frankie Muniz was underscored. His arms were gorgeous.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Debbie Gibson is just as insufferable as she was on Celebrity Apprentice, when she constantly volunteered herself to perform "Shake Your Love" no matter what the fuckin' task was. "I had a bunch of hits in the 80s and 90s" (meanwhile "Shake Your Love" is the only song playing on repeat during her entire intro vid). 

I laughed at Debbie claiming hits in the 90's (I don't think she did?) but she did technically have multiple hits in the 80's.  Including the one she danced to last night.  Shake Your Love was not her only hit by any means. She had a bunch of songs chart.

1 minute ago, spanana said:

I laughed at Debbie claiming hits in the 90's (I don't think she did?) but she did technically have multiple hits in the 80's.  Including the one she danced to last night.  Shake Your Love was not her only hit by any means. She had a bunch of songs chart.

My point was that is the only song she ever talks about on the reality shows she does now. I know Tiffany had multiple hits but if all she ever brought up was "I Think We're Alone Now," I'd laugh at that too.

Also not to sound like the hugest heartless bastard in the world (I likely am), I think people are overblowing Victoria's dance ability.  I think she personally is amazing and her week one scores were fair enough, but what is fabulous about Victoria is her natural joy and smile. I think after her package and people seeing what she has been through, some were just shocked to see her even be able to move at all.  But her dance itself didn't contain much.

Agreed - not much content and too soon to tell what she can really do. Wait until she has only one week to do a Latin dance or Jive. Then we'll see. (Also, not to sound heartless) but her story may not carry her as far as, say, Amy Purdy's or Nyle DiMarco's. She's overcome a lot, but . . . she overcame it. Purdy and DiMarco had to accomplish a lot more during the competition because of their obvious disadvantages. 

1. What's the story with Julianne Hough? I'm guessing salary dispute?

Officially, "focusing on other work." In reality, who knows. They all come crawling back sooner or later - the grass is never greener.

I would be interested to know what goes on behind the scenes with some of the negotiations though. Say - with Derek or Mark when they leave then come back. You know they're getting some kind of consideration aside from just their salary, like a promise of their choice of partner. They're not going to stick Mark with Sasha or Debbie.

So what u all think about Jenna coming back as troupe member? I know alot people on other  forums said she is only returning because val and her r finally open with their relationship and hopes to get another pro spot. I don't care either way but I thought it was dirty how they kicked Brittany to the curb for Jenna to comeback. Jenna is a great dancer but its something about her that doesnt set well with me, its like she comes off very fake at times.

• Love 4

Something is wrong with Barbara and it goes beyond "the cougar stuff."  She seems to be massively overcompensating for something. Fortunately, she is a terrible dancer so she'll be gone soon.

I don't know half the contestants are but Frankie and the girl who can't feel her legs were my favorites in this episode.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

Something is wrong with Barbara and it goes beyond "the cougar stuff."  She seems to be massively overcompensating for something. Fortunately, she is a terrible dancer so she'll be gone soon.

I don't know half the contestants are but Frankie and the girl who can't feel her legs were my favorites in this episode.

Its so weird because on Shark Tank she acts so sophisticated, poised and intelligent with just the right amount of sass. I wonder do she really want what robert had and that is an instant attraction to his partner and they fell madly in love but Barbara can forget that happening with Keo because that is not going happen. She is coming off extremely cougarish and nasty.

• Love 3

I am finally getting to watch the beginning of last night's show.  Why on earth was Sharna in the very start of the opening instead of one of the ladies who has actually won a Mirror Ball?  We have Cheryl, Peta, Witney and Emma to choose from.  Of this year's ladies, just Lindsay and Sharna have not won.  Stop trying to make Sharna happen!

10 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

Blonde is a natural hair color.  Sharna's bizarre red/purple color is not.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I would be interested to know what goes on behind the scenes with some of the negotiations though. Say - with Derek or Mark when they leave then come back. You know they're getting some kind of consideration aside from just their salary, like a promise of their choice of partner. They're not going to stick Mark with Sasha or Debbie.

I think they're probably promised to go very far in the competition. Except Maks when he returned for Season 18 and was clearly promised the mirrorball he wanted so bad, thus all the over the top crap and pimping we had to endure with him and Meryl.

3 hours ago, forcorners said:

2. I suspect some of the dancers sleep with the contestants This must put some of the spouses on edge no?

I don't think it was much of an issue in the old days since I think the only married pros were Tony, Edyta and Anna, who I don't think were sleeping with any of their partners (though if I was Edyta I would have been all over Jason Taylor). Now that so many pros are married or involved in relationships I think they're moving away from the pros showmancing their partners and focusing more on the pro relationships, especially the ones where both people are on the show. If I'm not mistaken, I think Sharna and maybe Alan are the only single pros they have now? Personally, I wish they'd knock it off but that could be because I don't buy the Maks/Peta relationship, I can't stand the over the top crap coming from Val and Jenna, and I don't like Emma with Sasha (how she didn't dump him for Rashad I'll never know LOL!).

2 minutes ago, smiley13 said:

I am not a fan of the wrestling chick at all.  I would be okay if she is the first one out.  

And after watching, I agree with what has been said about Barbara.  She was a little over the top with poor Keo.

Barbara is supposed to be married. It's just uncomfortable and off putting. 

• Love 1

Barbara just isn't as good at game/competition shows as she thinks she is. She was on Michael Strahan's new version of The $100,000 Pyramid last season (I'm pretty sure it was & that the show's only been on 2 seasons this time), playing opposite fellow Shark, Daymond John. She was really bad at describing the stuff in the initial rounds--so spectacularly bad she kept cussing when she blew something & got the "error" cuckoo, & she wouldn't let it go & move on to the next word, & she'd also waste time by staring blankly at the screen where the words she was trying to describe were for her to see.

And she wasn't much better in the big money rounds of the show either, where they show you a subject & you have to give the person you're playing with a list of stuff that fits the subject on the card, not describe the subject like before. On this version of the show, the celebrities--more often than not--are the ones receiving the clues & trying to guess what they have in common & get their playing partner the money (in the Dick Clark hosting days, after a certain point, they would allow either the celeb or the "regular" person to give the clues for the big money rounds). She just... nothing much would come to her. She was so spectacularly bad, in fact, I can't even find any clips on YouTube to show you how bad she was at this. They do seem to have her DWTS stuff though.

"Personally, I wish they'd knock it off but that could be because I don't buy the Maks/Peta relationship, I can't stand the over the top crap coming from Val and Jenna, and I don't like Emma with Sasha (how she didn't dump him for Rashad I'll never know LOL!)." & "Peta looks awful. What's up with that ?" etc...

Well, if you can't say something nice about somebody, come sit by me!  I love to get snarky so apologies to all I'll manage to offend. 

I cringe at Maks and Peta too, but I've come around to accepting it -- he's wanted a baby since his ostentatious engagement to Karina (who wouldn't oblige) so, well, I hope Peta knows what she got herself into (sweetie, read about NPD and at least be prepared -- hell, she's probably way ahead on that.)  Anyway, I never buy Val and the latest "girlfriend" - last I heard it was creepy Amber Rose and I never bought that for a New York minute. Don't even want to think about the latest...  I do like Sasha and Emma though (she dumped him for a while - it was right after Artem started on DWTS so I wondered if he had anything to do with it) - but anyway they're all loved up with a new house etc and I think their personalities are pretty well suited to each other - at least it doesn't ring false, as so many of them do, even the married ones. BTW, Sasha and Sharna used to be a couple!! (a weirder matchup if you ask me)

I don't think Julianne is sitting out - I think she was let go, at least until they want to coax Derek back.  I know they kept her another season after he left, but I still think it (hiring Julz) is on the very long list of "asks" that I think Derek commands when he deigns to grace us with his presence every so often...  Four is too many judges and she didn't add much - I've come to like the originals, Carrie Ann's screeching on Monday aside.

As for why Sharna and Alan in the opening? - I think it's her amazing six-pack. I remember when they were fixated on Edyta's midriff and honestly, it's about all I remember of her, but they have this dream of younger viewers (I think their average age is pushing 70 these days), so with her hair and her abs - and Alan's, well, abs and youthful good looks, there you go -- put them in the desert.  And now that you mention it, they're about the only single ones, so that may have something to do with it.

And I think Artem actually dyed his hair gray, not blond! I'm so out of touch - it just looks freaky to me, with the dark beard, but he's not the only one-- clinging to the last vestiges of his youth? (while being given yet another semi-loser as a partner - oh well... shoulda stayed in UK, son!)  Speaking of blondness, I think that is what's wrong with Peta's looks -- the dried-out bleached hair with copious dark roots showing -- it's easy to look trashy or even ugly going so far from your natural coloring (I'm thinking of you too, Julianne, with those dark eyebrows).  Some people can pull it off but for heaven's sakes, keep it freshened up, all you identi-Barbies.  They'd look so pretty with their natural brown - but the producers probably wouldn't agree.

And I agree with you about Jenna, vdw84, despite her refreshing non-blondness - that camera hogging was absurd. Don't know why they're hung up on her, but seems like she did have to sit out a season after her one celeb (or have I got her mixed up with another trouper?)

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 1

OK, so Derek is the draw and not Julianne? Obviously the target audience is women for a show like this. 

I still thought Juli was both gorgeous as well as gracious and magnanimous as a judge if a bit overly generous: a nice counterpoint to CarrieAnne.

Too bad she and Lisa are married he he. 

OK so I ff'ed/skimmed through the episode.

Wow, Debbie Gibson seems to be channeling Skeletor these days. I find her appearance frightening. 

The three judge format is throwing me off. This is a weak cast overall. I don't see much reason to watch full episodes.